Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

I'm pretty sure that awooga alarm coming from the sub in that Liberty Mutual commercial is being made by a Minion. I used to find them amusing but I'm tired of seeing them now. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

I'm pretty sure that awooga alarm coming from the sub in that Liberty Mutual commercial is being made by a Minion. I used to find them amusing but I'm tired of seeing them now. 

The only one I like is the little The Office parody they do. Other than that, I find them as annoying as hell.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

Ok. Ok. When I first saw the commercial with all of the acronyms I thought it was funny. One of my favorite Korean actors is Lee Min Ki and every time the actress said LMK as she strode from the room I heard Lee Min Ki and it made me smile.

However. I was just watching Trevor Noah and this commercial played twice during every commercial break. And then Seinfeld came on and every commercial break began and ended with this commercial. The second episode of Seinfeld came on and the first commercial break was that commercial. Back. To back. To back. That's right friends, they played the commercial 3 TIMES IN A ROW. I switched the station and what was waiting for me there? This. Commercial! This commercial! This commercial is driving me right up and over the wall of sanity.  Not even my love of Lee Min Ki is making this commercial tolerable. 

• LOL 5
On 6/27/2022 at 11:29 AM, mmecorday said:

Plus the woman trying the sour patch kids slush whatever looks like she's not exactly enjoying it.

What annoys me most about the Sonic comercials is the freakishly and robotically joyous voices of the people preparing the food -- "I got the bacon!" "I am delightedly skipping over with some pickles!" -- especially for the Sour Patch thing, which would not need multiple people to get it ready! 

• Applause 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'm hoping this topic also stretches to internet ads.  I follow some fitness related individuals on YouTube and ads for VShred pop up quite frequently.  The guy (Vince Sant)  seems to be shirtless 99% of the time and considering the millions of dollars he's made over the years from (IMO) cookie-cutter workout /diet plans, you'd think he can do better than posting shirtless reels of himself walking around his house.

The one ad that pops up in between the fitness videos I watch has him saying, "the other day I walked into Starbucks and this guy comes up to me and asks, 'how do you have such a good body?'  Do guys really go up to other guys (maybe in the gym to ask what they do to get 19" biceps or 'V' shaped lats) and ask that?  He was probably in his mandatory tank top else how would the other guy know how fit and ripped he was underneath?

He just comes across skeevy and scammy to me - not to mention totally full of himself.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

I say that any time a financial commerical comes up. 

On 6/27/2022 at 3:50 PM, xls said:

It's usually $9.95 per unit,  which could be $1000.00, so you might need 9-10 units to cover a funeral.  That's $90.00 or more a month So it's misleading for sure 

Thanks. I always knew there was a catch but didn't know what it was.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 2
On 6/28/2022 at 10:38 AM, Gharlane said:

I'm disappointed that the fisherman pulls up the sub instead of a dead body. So many TV shows have fishermen catching dead bodies I wonder why they still bother to fish in NYC.

• Love 1
On 6/27/2022 at 11:05 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

In the past musicians didn't understand the future value of their music, which lead to their selling their publishing rights.  Somewhat similar to residuals for TV actors.  Early on they didn't think there was any future value to their work, and they got screwed too.

I saw mentioned yesterday that Kate Bush owns all her publishing rights, so she's making a fortune off that song that was used in "Stranger Things."

• Applause 5
  • Love 3

I just saw these two commercials for the first time.  One is for Trojan condoms where the couple is having crazy sex, and flying paint cans all around.

But the second one is the worst.  It’s for a product called Ballsy, and you can guess what it’s for.  They say “We make guy stuff, so you can take better care of your, uh, pair”.  Stuff to scrub your Bros like a pro.  It’s called Ballwash, for Nuts and Butts. A powder to prevent funk on your junk, and Sack Spray—-to keep your beans smelling clean. Well, at least there’s not a live demonstration 

• Mind Blown 4
  • LOL 14
10 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

I just saw these two commercials for the first time.  One is for Trojan condoms where the couple is having crazy sex, and flying paint cans all around.

But the second one is the worst.  It’s for a product called Ballsy, and you can guess what it’s for.  They say “We make guy stuff, so you can take better care of your, uh, pair”.  Stuff to scrub your Bros like a pro.  It’s called Ballwash, for Nuts and Butts. A powder to prevent funk on your junk, and Sack Spray—-to keep your beans smelling clean. Well, at least there’s not a live demonstration 

Why should the ladies have all the fun with all the feminine hygiene products that have been gracing the boob tube for many decades now?  Remember the guy freaking out in the shower when he realized he'd used his wife/gf/whatever's "V" wash?

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

I wonder if those commercials are made by the same people responsible for Dr. Squatch's ad campaigns?

12 hours ago, ctlady said:

The one ad that pops up in between the fitness videos I watch has him saying, "the other day I walked into Starbucks and this guy comes up to me and asks, 'how do you have such a good body?'  Do guys really go up to other guys (maybe in the gym to ask what they do to get 19" biceps or 'V' shaped lats) and ask that?

Maybe they do so at the Starbucks in West Hollywood or the Castro?

• Wink 2
  • LOL 6

That annoying fitted t-shirt commercial seems to be back in circulation that features the two bros at a gym talking about how they look like crap in their tshirts and do some goldfishing while looking at the camera...  Maybe it's me, but the bearded guy looks better wearing that tanktop! 

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

I know that drug commercials have been way too pervasive for way too long.  But the new trend of trying to introduce new “diseases” in order to persuade people to run to their doctor and ask for whatever new drug in case they MIGHT have some new “disease” (looking at you, thyroid eye disease) is just despicable.  As a society we have enough trouble taking care of our every day health without being scared into things that are rare beyond belief.  It feels like being terrorized by an older sibling for no valid purpose whatsoever - except in this case it’s to enrich big pharma even more!

• Like 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 7
(edited)

I am getting more than creeped out with the commercial on Lifetime for the Phrogging movie/show. Someone is hiding in your home??  That is a big nope for me.I'd have nightmares! And it pops up frequently on the screen during other shows.

"The dog is barking at the wall, there is a half eaten apple in the refrigerator, the front door is unlocked and you know you locked it."

Creepy!!

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post/typo
  • Mind Blown 6
  • Love 1

The State Farm ad with the woman giving her fitness equipment a Viking funeral because  she can’t afford them anymore. I saw some dumbbells, foam roller, maybe a workout mat. Couldn’t make out the rest, but I would guesstimate everything seemed to be less than $1,000 - and most likely already paid for. I could see if she had financed an entire room of gym equipment and machines that she was making monthly payments on and could no longer afford, but this doesn’t make sense.  She’s pretty much destroying good workout stuff that’s been paid in full for no reason 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, ctlady said:

The State Farm ad with the woman giving her fitness equipment a Viking funeral because  she can’t afford them anymore. I saw some dumbbells, foam roller, maybe a workout mat. Couldn’t make out the rest, but I would guesstimate everything seemed to be less than $1,000 - and most likely already paid for. I could see if she had financed an entire room of gym equipment and machines that she was making monthly payments on and could no longer afford, but this doesn’t make sense.  She’s pretty much destroying good workout stuff that’s been paid in full for no reason 

I take it to mean her gym membership.

• Useful 2
On 7/1/2022 at 12:23 PM, Gramto6 said:

I am getting more than creeped out with the commercial on Lifetime for the Phrogging movie/show. Someone is hiding in your home??  That is a big nope for me.I'd have nightmares! And it pops up frequently on the screen during other shows.

"The dog is barking at the wall, there is a half eaten apple in the refrigerator, the front door is unlocked and you know you locked it."

Creepy!!

"Phrogging"? 

An intruder hiding in the victim's house is one of the older horror tropes.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Gharlane said:

"Phrogging"? 

An intruder hiding in the victim's house is one of the older horror tropes.

Phrogging is what they call it. The person is actually living hidden in the house unknown to the owner. It may be an older trope but the idea of it still creeps me out.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I cannot stand Jon Batiste and his hyperactive, over the top singing and dancing, and I change the channel whenever I see him in those Amazon Prime commercials. 

Oh, I was wondering if that was someone I was supposed to know.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
On 6/27/2022 at 5:50 PM, xls said:

It's usually $9.95 per unit,  which could be $1000.00, so you might need 9-10 units to cover a funeral.  That's $90.00 or more a month So it's misleading for sure 

Alex Trebec did commercials for Colonial Penn, which lowered my respect for him well into negative numbers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Love 6
On 7/1/2022 at 9:15 AM, ctlady said:

I think the ball moisturizer is called Nut Rub

Men should take it seriously! For decades women have been told they smell, while men just strut around assuming they smell like a pine forest after a spring rain. Let's get more stinky-men remedies out there and shame the men the way they have been shaming women!

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 8
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
On 7/3/2022 at 1:30 PM, Gramto6 said:

Phrogging is what they call it. The person is actually living hidden in the house unknown to the owner. It may be an older trope but the idea of it still creeps me out.

Maybe its Animal from the Muppets?

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
On 7/3/2022 at 2:30 PM, Gramto6 said:

Bad Ronald!

On 7/4/2022 at 8:05 AM, Deskisamess said:

Alex Trebec did commercials for Colonial Penn, which lowered my respect for him well into negative numbers.

And he sure didn’t need the money. 🥲

• Like 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

There's a commercial for a blonde woman with thyroid eye disease.  It opens with her wearing these huge dark glasses and it just creeps me the hell out.  She gradually progresses to wearing more normal glasses, but she's still creepy.

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Applause 2
  • Love 7
25 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

There's a commercial for a blonde woman with thyroid eye disease.  It opens with her wearing these huge dark glasses and it just creeps me the hell out.  She gradually progresses to wearing more normal glasses, but she's still creepy.

I just saw that spot.   I'm always a little let down because those glasses make you think something shocking's behind them.   But then the commercial says if you want to see her "before" pictures, you have to visit the website, which seems like a shameless sideshow tactic.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 7/1/2022 at 12:23 PM, Gramto6 said:

Creepy!!

I have been listening to a podcast called Radio Rental, which is all creepy stories (like real ones, not paranormal or anything) told by the listeners who submit them. Many of them are about this topic of someone living under the floor or in a basement!

If the State Farm woman can't afford her gym membership anymore, why is she destroying her own home workout stuff? Or did she take the stuff from the gym? This makes no sense to me.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

f the State Farm woman can't afford her gym membership anymore, why is she destroying her own home workout stuff?

Because everybody is the State Farm commercials is a damn moron.   It's a great marketing tool to present your customers as morons who don't know how insurance or basic money management work.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, millennium said:

The Intel commercial where everyone's whistling (badly) "Don't Worry Be Happy."  It's so annoying and runs so frequently that I can't even be snarky about it.

That song made me feel violent when it was popular, lol. No need to bring it back.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

If the State Farm woman can't afford her gym membership anymore, why is she destroying her own home workout stuff? Or did she take the stuff from the gym? This makes no sense to me.

I hate that commercial so much, least of all not being able to afford her gym membership AND car insurance. There's another one in which someone who cannot afford her videogame abandoning it in the wilderness and thinking it's going to walk away and live in the wilderness. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, millennium said:

I just saw that spot.   I'm always a little let down because those glasses make you think something shocking's behind them.   But then the commercial says if you want to see her "before" pictures, you have to visit the website, which seems like a shameless sideshow tactic.

I don't know why they commercial do that. Who wants to go to a website to see "before" pictures? If it's not important to show it's not important to look up. My local news does it all the time too. They'll talk about an event or a story but if you want more details go to their website. That defeats the whole point of watch it.

2 hours ago, Maverick said:

Because everybody is the State Farm commercials is a damn moron.   It's a great marketing tool to present your customers as morons who don't know how insurance or basic money management work.  

I do like the woman who's watching her neighbors TV through their window. That feels more like something you'd try if you couldn't afford your cable this month. There's an episode of the Middle where the family have to cancel their TV because they are way behind while the dad's out of work. Mike and Frankie think their kids will have the hardest time with no TV but they had no problem finding other things to do. It's Mike and Frankie that have the hardest time and sit outside watching TV through their neighbor's window. When the cable or power went out my parents' always had the hardest time while my brother and I were fine.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I don't know why they commercial do that. Who wants to go to a website to see "before" pictures? If it's not important to show it's not important to look up. My local news does it all the time too. They'll talk about an event or a story but if you want more details go to their website. That defeats the whole point of watch it.

I do like the woman who's watching her neighbors TV through their window. That feels more like something you'd try if you couldn't afford your cable this month. There's an episode of the Middle where the family have to cancel their TV because they are way behind while the dad's out of work. Mike and Frankie think their kids will have the hardest time with no TV but they had no problem finding other things to do. It's Mike and Frankie that have the hardest time and sit outside watching TV through their neighbor's window. When the cable or power went out my parents' always had the hardest time while my brother and I were fine.  

Bahaha.  I'm fine when the power goes out as long as my tablet and phone are charged,  but if they start to run low,  I have to run out to my car, plug them in,  and drive around for an hour.  

• Love 3
16 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I once watched Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith through the back window of the SUV ahead of me during a really long commute one day.

• LOL 10
  • Love 3

I cannot stand Jon Batiste and his hyperactive, over the top singing and dancing, and I change the channel whenever I see him in those Amazon Prime commercials.

I would have thought those commercials were beneath him, he just won about a dozen Grammy awards. But I guess everyone has their price.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I would have thought those commercials were beneath him, he just won about a dozen Grammy awards. But I guess everyone has their price.

Eh, streaming pays artists pennies and touring is not going to be bringing in the money the way it did three years ago.  Easy Amazon money is not beneath any artist in 2022.  

Also, it's not like mega artists have never done commercials before.  You have MJ and Pepsi, JLo and Pepsi, U2 and Apple, now Harry Styles and Apple, BTS and Samsung, I know Bruno Mars has done some commercials, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 7/3/2022 at 3:40 PM, Crashcourse said:

I just thought he was some random Michael Jackson impersonator. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I just thought he was some random Michael Jackson impersonator. 

I don't see that at all. He sounds nothing like Jackson. It's probably just the way to photographed him for the ad.

• Love 2

Have you see the Billy Ocean video for that song? He looks like that. Except for the hair, but the Prime commercial and the original video are very similar.

• Love 2