Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

This doesn't really annoy me, but just makes me laugh because it's unrealistic.  There's a cat food ad where the woman who owns the cat got married and the cat is running away from the new hubby.  Then the woman voiceovers that the cat was having stomach problems and there's a scene where the woman comes out of the bedroom (or bathroom) barefooted and steps in something.  Presumably vomit?  And the man and the woman look really worried.  Come on, it's a cat, cats throw up.  I know this from years and years of experience.

What gets me is that when the guy walks in with the cat food he leaves the door hanging wide open. That's clearly an indoor only cat. Is he secretly plotting its demise?

• Love 3

I hope that when H&R Block returns with its tax time commercials next year that the green-tie wearing spokesperson has been replaced by someone slightly less annoying like, say, Jar-Jar Binks.

I vote for Scrappy Doo: "It's time for Preparaaaaation Pooooower!"

Yes, the kids are mildly funny and cute. But the thing is, the tagline and scenarios make no sense at all as far as the kids go -- there's no real reason to use the kid stand-ins here except that they're automatically cute and it's been a recent ad trend lately (like the far more successful spot of the little kid imagining himself driving to work, etc.). But the kids don't fit the taglines or even the scenarios here at all. They aren't being treated like kids, so it just doesn't work for me.

To me, the message seems to be we're treated like children (the old axiom, "children should be seen but not heard") and ignored.  Little kids have no power in the world, so they have to "take it" until they grow up.  Nationwide Insurance claims to make their customers as priorities, therefore, they are treated as adults (hence the last woman who is shown as a child, then fully grown).

• Love 4
But the kids don't fit the taglines or even the scenarios here at all.

I agree showing the non-Nationwide customers feeling like children when they're not treated as if they're a priority is too much of a stretch that it doesn't work.  Maybe 20 years ago, but in the precious snowflake era?  Not so much.

• Love 2

To me, the message seems to be we're treated like children (the old axiom, "children should be seen but not heard") and ignored.  Little kids have no power in the world, so they have to "take it" until they grow up.

Yeah, I guess that's what they're going for, but having to wait in line at the DMV, or trying to get the waiter's attention, doesn't equate to being treated like a child. Especially the DMV one. When you have to go to the DMV does it make you feel like a child? Herded cattle, maybe, but not a child. I think they could have come up with some better examples of situations where you're made to feel like a child. I agree with paramitch - the idea behind this seems to have simply been "cute kids = cute!"

• Love 3
(edited)

I can't bring myself to post the link... Target is using a cover of "Groove is in the Heart" in their commercials.  To have one of my all-time favorite songs get Target's "Marshmallow World" treatment is heartbreaking.

I'm sure Deee-Lite's former members need the money, but... my memories, man...

ETA: here's the original...

Edited by erikdepressant
  • Love 4

Target is using a cover of "Groove is in the Heart" in their commercials.

And again, with kids. 

I am now going to reveal just how old I am: I always thought that song was "Groove is in the House."

Now, get offa my lawn, you rotten kids.

• Love 3

I was on my high school dance team and we danced to GIITH at basketball games my senior year. That's how old I am. Of course, I know all the lyrics by heart, and am now stunned at how dirty they were. ("The chills that you spill...")

When did the bears turn red?  They must be embarrassed that this is the only employment they can find.

I didn't want to know this, but even when I don't pay attention to anything else in an ad color choices seem to stick in my brain.

There are two different Charmin TP types. The red bears use the "strong" paper, the blue bears use the "soft" paper. I'm not interested in comparing them in real life for the difference, but that's how Charmin is selling the two.

• Love 1

There are two different Charmin TP types. The red bears use the "strong" paper, the blue bears use the "soft" paper. I'm not interested in comparing them in real life for the difference, but that's how Charmin is selling the two.

Mmm. Because the sort of "swoosh"-like band/bar/block of color on the packaging is red/blue for those two varieties. So they color-coded the bears too.

All of the commercials pertaining to Disney World vacations annoy me right now.  Considering that a trip to Disney would cost the average family a few months' mortgage payments, it just irritates me that they make it seem like it is no big deal to drop a few thousand dollars on a Disney vacation.  The one with the hotel concierge with the fairy wings is especially annoying since it is obviously one of the high end hotels that is hundreds of dollars a night.

• Love 6

I didn't even realize there were blue Charmin bears.  If, before I read this page, you had asked me what color the bears were, I would have assumed brown.  But this is probably because when a Charmin ad comes on, I'm too busy being annoyed to pay attention to the color.

• Love 1

Oh My GOD!  The commercial with the KID IN A CAPE that jumps ON the OPEN DISHWASHER DOOR!  GAH!!!

And, THEN:  The Mother PATS said kid on the head while the repairman fixes the dishwasher!

WTFF??  Swear to God what are they trying to do?  "Everything my special snowflake does is OKAY WITH ME".

• Love 13

I saw that one several times today while watching The Slap, ironically. I would've called the orphanage if I knew that kid and arranged for a pickup. Then, I would've called the men in white coats to pick up the mother. Seriously, whoever made that commercial can die in a fire.

• Love 8

How old is the kid in the ad?  I'm imagining about 6.  Because if my 2 1/2-year-old niece can learn not to put weight on the dishwasher door, this shouldn't be an issue with anyone older than like 2 1/2-3.

• Love 3

I imagine the people in the commercial for any dating site look better than most of the people actually using said dating site.

(With the obvious exception of the eHarmony ads featuring the creepy founder.)

For shits and giggles, I checked out my local Our Time dating site.  About 99% of the men were overwhelmingly bald, fat and unattractive. All looking for women that are fit, pretty and successful.  Oh and also must be nurturing and energetic.  They need to rename it GetAClue.com!!!!

• Love 13

For shits and giggles, I checked out my local Our Time dating site.  About 99% of the men were overwhelmingly bald, fat and unattractive. All looking for women that are fit, pretty and successful.  Oh and also must be nurturing and energetic.  They need to rename it GetAClue.com!!!!

The media has made is very clear that fat, balding, unattractive guys deserve hot wives (see also, King of Queens, According to Jim, etc).

• Love 5

Memo

To:  Adult parents who work full-time jobs

RE:  Children who do not have an ice cubes' chance in hell of buying Halos

Dear "Parents":

Being afraid of stuffed animal heads placed in your beds by your entitled, spoiled offspring?  Stupidity personified.  Let the little fuckers pay for their own Halos.  Problem solved.  You're welcome.

The World

The media has made is very clear that fat, balding, unattractive guys deserve hot wives (see also, King of Queens, According to Jim, etc).

Very True LOL!!

But....... there are sitcoms and then the real world. Some men just cannot distinguish between the two, bless their hearts.

• Love 11

More Yogurt Bitchery:

I think it is Dannon's Lite & Fit  drinky yogurts. In the latest ad that's hacked me off, some Yogurt Bitch is smugly drinking her Dannon when she sees a donut food truck. She then "has the power" , as per the song being used, to shrink the poor donut vendor's truck to a Matchbox size! Thankfully, the dude wasn't inside, but he's gaping in wonder at her.    Then?  She turns around and sees a guy passing out fliers and wearing a fake donut around his waist.  She points her damn yogurt at him and shrinks the fake donut until it's like for little kids in a kiddie pool.

A) That truck is someone's actual business, YB! WTF?!  Just because you are choosing not to eat donuts? Doesn't give you the right to make every other person around you not eat donuts. Plus, are you going to reimburse the guy for a new truck and all the lost wages and new permits?

B) Not your clothes, Yogurt Bitch, so leave 'em alone! That guy may now have to pay his employer for a ruined outfit that he did not ruin but you did. Even if you are going to reimburse him for that, why do that in the first place?

I hate that all the yogurt transgressors seem to be insane, power-hungry women and all the victims seem to be men. It just isn't the reality I live in and it's not even funny. Maybe my problem is I haven't drank the yogurt.

• Love 6

Speaking of kids... that new diaper commercial with the song "all about that bass"... Love the song but I'm thinking any kid old enough to engage the camera, do dance steps and mimic hip hop is too old to be in diapers. See, the philosophy is if you can learn that you can learn to know when you have to go to the bathroom and do so on your own.

• Love 1

Really, Monistat? We're all adults here, right? Do you have to say "down there"?

I can't articulate why, but I still find that less childish than "a woman's V" and "hail to the V" in the Summer's Eve commercials.

Trying to figure it out gave me an idea...

If anyone from Pfizer is reading this, please contact me about my vision for an "Annoying A" campaign for your Preparation H products.  In time for the 2016 elections, we'll change it to "Hail to the A."

• Love 6

I can't articulate why, but I still find that less childish than "a woman's V" and "hail to the V" in the Summer's Eve commercials.

A comedienne I saw on an old HBO special said that her grandmother (I think) used to say 'Christmas.' As in, "Don't forget to wash Christmas." No, I have no idea why.

• Love 4

I hope that when H&R Block returns with its tax time commercials next year that the green-tie wearing spokesperson has been replaced by someone slightly less annoying like, say, Jar-Jar Binks.

There's a guy on the Prudential commercials that I somehow meld together with the H & R Block guy. It causes me not to take Prudential guy seriously. (As if I would, lol.)

I know the ads for the ASPCA have been discussed somewhere, but every time I hear a singer start in about "in the Bleak mid-winter" I shut it down. Can't bear to see those poor animals and the song always makes me think of Auntie Mame when she's writing her memoirs, "how bleak was my childhood in Buffalo..." or something close to that.

• Love 3

I know the ads for the ASPCA have been discussed somewhere, but every time I hear a singer start in about "in the Bleak mid-winter" I shut it down. Can't bear to see those poor animals and the song always makes me think of Auntie Mame when she's writing her memoirs, "how bleak was my childhood in Buffalo..." or something close to that.

I know, I just can't take those ads. I lalalalala til I can either find the remote or leave the room. The comes a point where they must become counter-productive since people who really care enough to donate already have and just can't bear to watch the suffering. I find myself even flinching on any commercials using actual animals, although I do love the GEICO screaming goat, Rick.

• Love 2

I'm no gynecologist, but isn't a stench down there indicative of a medical problem, as opposed to a stinky armpit that needs washed?

• Love 3