Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 5/3/2017 at 8:52 AM, mmecorday said:

I'm sorry, a pouch filled with chemical-laden tuna is not lunch. It's cat food.

My crazy cat neighbor told me that tuna is bad for cats. You'll have to eat it yourself.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, ennui said:

My crazy cat neighbor told me that tuna is bad for cats. You'll have to eat it yourself.

My previous cat had a cyst in his mouth which made it difficult for him to eat, my vet told me to give him people tuna and baby food.  So she would seem to think tuna was okay.

• Love 5

It could be the baby food made the difference. "Some tuna now and then probably won't hurt. But a steady diet of tuna prepared for humans can lead to malnutrition because it won't have all the nutrients a cat needs. And, too much tuna can cause mercury poisoning."

• Love 4

What is with the gratuitous "-uh" that people put at the end of words when they want to sound querulous?  There's a new Dove ad where women are discovering that their beauty product is really Dove, and one of the women says, "It's Dove-uh!"

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

What is with the gratuitous "-uh" that people put at the end of words when they want to sound querulous?  There's a new Dove ad where women are discovering that their beauty product is really Dove, and one of the women says, "It's Dove-uh!"

This is one of my REAL pet peeves!  I cannot stand that uhhhh sound.   Maybe they are trying to sound "cool"?

• Love 2

There is a Gillette ad for women's razors that I keep seeing on my iPad, but haven't seen it on tv yet.  It starts with a young woman with her arm raised and she starts shaving.  I assume the target area is her underarm, but she starts applying the razor about 2 inches above her elbow!  If this lady has hair growing on the inside of her upper arm, that far away from her armpit, the Venus razor may not be the first depilatory option to pull off the shelf.

• Love 9
On 5/4/2017 at 8:55 PM, Silver Raven said:

Okay I just heard this ad and WTF? Why do the say it that way?

• Love 1
On May 4, 2017 at 11:59 PM, Brattinella said:

This is one of my REAL pet peeves!  I cannot stand that uhhhh sound.   Maybe they are trying to sound "cool"?

I hate this trend, it's even worse than that Kardasian-esque vocal fry. However I do like it in that laundry detergent ad when the guy smells his ex-girlfriend's scarf and it still smells like her: How am I supposed to move ONNNNN-UH!!!! In that context it's funny.

As for that singing Ruby Tuesday ad, I thought they were cashing in on the success of "La La Land" by having a singing redhead try to sell their crappy salad bar (though that doesn't explain the off-key performance)

• Love 3
On 4/21/2017 at 0:48 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Speaking of annoying children, there's an ad where this urchin offers to sell some guy a cup of lemonade. He says he'd like one, and she pulls out some intricate bill where the cup will cost him something like two dollars, and he's like, "But your sign says it costs a quarter." She replies that there are taxes and fees, etc, etc, and finally he gets annoyed and leaves. I can't even remember what the commercial is for, that's how irritating it is.

I love the "Standing On My Lawn Fee."  LOL.

• Love 7

I guess I keep the cable news channels on too much. Lots of annoying pharmaceutical commercials and accountants, financial advisors, etc.

Here's the latest one that is enraging me, mostly because it presumes that I know what the hell they are selling. Not to mention forcing me to feel like I'm crashing their special little party.

That's an ad for KPMG consulting services.  I'm fairly sure they're selling time with pompous douchebags.  You also get to buy their dinner at The Porterhouse.   

• Love 4

I temped for them several years ago. It was the most oppressive and stifled corporate culture I'd ever seen. People passed each other in the halls without so much as a nod or a smile. I'm not a "people person", but I can muster up a "hi" when passing my coworkers in the office.

The woman I was possibly replacing was MISERABLE. While I was there, they decided to put someone inside the company in the position, so my assignment was over (thank god), and the woman's job was over. She was immensely relieved.

• Love 3
(edited)

There is an ad for Jeep where they repeat the word "recalculating" one million times and it is so fucking annoying that I want to go to every Jeep dealership I see and tell them no way in hell will I ever buy one of their vehicles.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5
On 5/2/2017 at 4:48 PM, rcc said:

That annoying Italian subway commercial with all that meat in it. That is an outright lie!

Every food commercial is a bunch of BS.  Have you ever gotten a burger from any restaurant that looks like their advertisement?   

I despise the Twizzlers commercials that shove the thing up people's noses.  Gross. 

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

Every food commercial is a bunch of BS.  Have you ever gotten a burger from any restaurant that looks like their advertisement?   

I despise the Twizzlers commercials that shove the thing up people's noses.  Gross. 

The notable exception to your comment about commercials not matching the food is Whataburger.  They show precisely what their food is.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, KLovestoShop said:

24 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

The notable exception to your comment about commercials not matching the food is Whataburger.  They show precisely what their food is.

I think Wendy's comes close: Their burgers overfill the bun. Wendy's is the only fast food restaurant I'll go to.

• Love 5
On 5/6/2017 at 11:26 AM, MaryPatShelby said:

I want that "I'm a Little Teapot" commercial to go away.  NOW.

On 5/6/2017 at 6:18 PM, Silver Raven said:

aw, I think it's cute.

It seemed for a while there, no matter what channel I was watching on DirecTV, it would air every single break.  There was a while where it was gone, but as of last night I was watching some That 70's Show reruns on IFC and must have seen it 4 or 5 times.

2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Haha, in order to have food that looks like it does in a commercial, you'd also have to be OK with eating glue, hairspray, etc...

To be honest, I don't always think the food in commercials looks very appealing.  It's very clearly fake, and the cheese on burgers is never melty enough.

• Love 1

I remember when Campbell's came out with their "chicken & dumplings" soup and there was so much broth compared to the other stuff, they put clear marbles in the bottom of the bowl to support the chicken/veggies/dumplings for the print ads.  There was a brouhaha over that.

• Love 1

There's a commercial for Nicorette gum, and a father is standing outside a gymnasium talking about how he missed seeing his son score the winning point because he was outside smoking a cigarette. You can see kids playing basketball through the doorway behind him. Now he uses Nicorette so he never misses that winning moment again! Trouble is . . . now he's standing outside the gymnasium doing a commercial for Nicorette gum while his kid is inside playing basketball. Go inside already and pay attention to your kid, dad! Geez.

• Love 16

But also...if you can see the game through the door, then even if he were out there smoking, in theory the kids are somewhat in view? Although where I live there's a law that you can't smoke within 50 feet of a school, so there's that... but the ad seems to be implying where he's standing is where he would've been smoking.

• Love 2

Right now Spectrum, the cable/ISP company formed by the merger of Time Warner Cable and Charter Communications, is absolutely carpetbombing their subscribers with an ad campaign about how everything will be wonderful and this is the future!

The only difference I've seen since one regional monopoly was allowed to buy another regional monopoly to form an even bigger one is that the price of my bundle went up twenty bucks a month.

But I'm sure that was entirely a coincidence.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, xaxat said:

Right now Spectrum, the cable/ISP company formed by the merger of Time Warner Cable and Charter Communications, is absolutely carpetbombing their subscribers with an ad campaign about how everything will be wonderful and this is the future!

The only difference I've seen since one regional monopoly was allowed to buy another regional monopoly to form an even bigger one is that the price of my bundle went up twenty bucks a month.

But I'm sure that was entirely a coincidence.

Mine went up $10.00 a month but my internet is much faster because Spectrum wants to do a better job for their customers. Yeah right, also the extra 10 bucks is just because ...

• Love 2

I got a bill last week from them that hadn't changed, but I guess I'll see what next month brings.  I did get the email saying they increased internet speed, because they were such good guys, but I don't really notice much difference.

• Love 1

I live in New York state, and two of the benefits Spectrum extols in their ads (no data caps, higher speeds) were things they had to agree to in order to get approval from the utility commission. Not done out of the kindness of their hearts.

• Love 6

Surprised nobody's mentioned the Domino Pizza kid.  Beyond being a rip-off of 'Ferris Bueller', he is just play irritating.

'Track your pizza'?  Its supposed to arrive in 20 minutes; how much tracking do you need?

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, LuciaMia said:

Surprised nobody's mentioned the Domino Pizza kid.  Beyond being a rip-off of 'Ferris Bueller', he is just play irritating.

'Track your pizza'?  Its supposed to arrive in 20 minutes; how much tracking do you need?

It's not a ripoff, it's an homage.  It even has Alan Ruck in it.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, LuciaMia said:

The idea in one of the ads seems to be that if you order your pizza when you aren't home yet, you'll know if you need to hurry or have missed it. Somebody may have decided that's not a good thing to be encouraging, as I've lately been seeing another centered around knowing how much more time you have to kill while waiting at home.

• Love 1

Those DNA ads!  "I wanted to know who I am. So I did my DNA and the stunning thing is I'm 23% Native American!"  "I thought I was Italian but it turns out I'm 30% EStern European! I traded in my pasta for lederhosen" ( or whatever). 

My 19 year old son saw one of those ads and said " that's the most boring story I ever heard"

yep

• Love 15

I don't understand how finding out you're 23% AmerInd changes your life in any way. You're still you, honey. Are you that freakin' insecure in yourself that you need validation from your ancestors?  It really doesn't matter to me one way or the other if one of my Romanian ancestors was raped by a Turk.  If I find out that she really WAS and subsequently had a baby that led, eventually, to me, how does that change me? Do I start to adore Turkish towels? Turkish taffy?  Do I suddenly get a craving to visit Istanbul? 

The whole idea is SUCH nonsense.  And these are probably the same people who zealously guard their privacy on the internet, etc., yet send their DNA to god-knows-who with god-knows-what kind of security.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Wait, I thought we were all Americans.

It's difficult to tell when I'm watching the news, lately.

The Ancestry DNA database must be larger than the FBI's by now.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, ennui said:

It's difficult to tell when I'm watching the news, lately.

The Ancestry DNA database must be larger than the FBI's by now.

I know I'm probably being paranoid, but I don't want my DNA in any database.

• Love 14

Any commercial featuring the tag line "He Went to Jared."

First, I find it grotesquely sexist, like women are Stepford Wives sitting around waiting to be made happy with shiny things from the benevolent male figures in their lives.   It's right up there with my hatred of the Vermont Teddy Bear Company that goes out of its way every Valentine's Day to reduce women to little girl status by suggesting their happiness depends on receiving a giant teddy bear from their man.

Second, every time I hear "He Went to Jared," I am reminded that HUNDREDS of women have accused the management of Jared and its affiliate jewelry outlets Kay's and Zale's with sexual harassment.  

Hundreds allege sex harassment, discrimination at Kay and Jared jewelry company

Why the Kay and Jared jewelry sexual harassment allegations are unfolding outside of public court

Shareholders Say Parent Company Of Jared & Kay Jewelers Hid Sexual Harassment Allegations

Is there a Pandora bracelet for that? 

• Love 20
On 5/9/2017 at 10:47 AM, WescottF1 said:

It seemed for a while there, no matter what channel I was watching on DirecTV, it would air every single break.  There was a while where it was gone, but as of last night I was watching some That 70's Show reruns on IFC and must have seen it 4 or 5 times.

It's shown during sports, a lot.  Maybe they think that men who watch sports on TV won't be good fathers without being reminded, over and over and over?

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/12/2017 at 7:03 PM, peacheslatour said:

I know I'm probably being paranoid, but I don't want my DNA in any database.

I've been saying that since I first saw those commercials. They proclaim they're about people discovering their ancestry, but they're really about getting idiots to put their DNA in a giant genetic database, even though I'm sure such information would never be used for evil. (Why yes, I do think tinfoil makes a marvelous hat.)

I hate those Liberty Mutual commercials as much as the rest of you, but the one where the lady is whining about Liberty Mutual not wanting you to drive a car with three wheels always makes me think of Mr. Bean:

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 8