Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

According to snopes, it's because the Commonwealth of Kentucky was demanding licensing fees for the use of the state's name, and after a year of failed negotiations, the company changed their name.

That is why in subsequent releases of "The Kentucky Fried Movie," it was changed to "The KFM."

Edited by mmecorday
punctuation

Joan Lunden and "A Place For Mom."

It's the name of the service that bugs me.  "A Place For Mom."   Like we don't know what to do with Mom anymore.   She doesn't go with the new furniture.   She's taking up space.   Where can we put her?  How about on the shelf in the garage?  Not wide enough?   What if we put her in one of those vacuum bags and slide her under the bed.  No?  Well, I don't know what to do then.  We need to find a place for Mom.  

And Joan Lunden's delivery is so sunny and casual, as if she's saying "We all know what it's like to be stuck with a parent who can't take care of herself anymore.   Now there's an app for that."

Edited by millennium
  • Love 20

I hate that Home Goods commercial about "pancake Sunday," and the little girl harasses the guy in the neighboring apartment, until he finally relents and joins the rest of the people.  The guy clearly doesn't want any goddamn pancakes and he's much nicer to that kid than I would be.

Edited by Ohwell
typo
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, millennium said:

It's the name of the service that bugs me.  "A Place For Mom."   Like we don't know what to do with Mom anymore.   She doesn't go with the new furniture.   She's taking up space.   Where can we put her?  How about on the shelf in the garage?  Not wide enough?   What if we put her in one of those vacuum bags and slide her under the bed.  No?  Well, I don't know what to do then.  We need to find a place for Mom.  

And Joan Lunden's delivery is so sunny and casual, as if she's saying "We all know what it's like to be stuck with a parent who can't take care of herself anymore.   Now there's an app for that."

And what about Dad?  We always tell my father if he needs a place, he's S.O.L., because no one cares about a finding a place for dad.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Aquarius said:

And what about Dad?  We always tell my father if he needs a place, he's S.O.L., because no one cares about a finding a place for dad.

Dad is dead. Dontcha know. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, millennium said:

It always reminds me of this:

Marion: Wouldn't it be better if you put her... some place...?

Norman Bates: You mean an institution? A madhouse?

Marion Crane: No, I didn't mean it like...

Norman Bates: [suddenly angry] People always call a madhouse "someplace", don't they? "Put her in someplace!"

• Love 10

I see we are back to the LM ad: "Newsflash, nobody's perfect!".  You know, young lady, there are people actually living in this world who have NEVER tapped a bumper or gotten a speeding ticket or anything at all!  They were taught to be careful, imagine that.  They didn't just blase' through life, expecting to get hurt/in an accident/whatever, and they acted actively to PREVENT it.

• Love 14

Maybe this was talked about X number of pages ago but I dislike the Booking.Com one in which this overwhelmed kindergarten teacher stands like a bump on log while her students totally trash their classroom and even bully at least one of their classmates and ALL she does is take her Smartphone out of one lightfingered kid's hands just so she can demonstrate how she can change her plans to a 'kid free' vacation. I mean, at NO point, does she ever attempt to actually call out much less discipline any of their vandalism, screaming,etc. or even bother to attempt to actually interact with her students but the audience is expected to pity her so she can have her Mexican vacation. Could her solipsism have possibly contributed to her charges having become a wrecking crew?  I only hope whoever subs for her manages to do a better job with them than she has but it seems a houseplant could manage to do that.

• Love 13

Speaking of annoying children, there's an ad where this urchin offers to sell some guy a cup of lemonade. He says he'd like one, and she pulls out some intricate bill where the cup will cost him something like two dollars, and he's like, "But your sign says it costs a quarter." She replies that there are taxes and fees, etc, etc, and finally he gets annoyed and leaves. I can't even remember what the commercial is for, that's how irritating it is.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Speaking of annoying children, there's an ad where this urchin offers to sell some guy a cup of lemonade. He says he'd like one, and she pulls out some intricate bill where the cup will cost him something like two dollars, and he's like, "But your sign says it costs a quarter." She replies that there are taxes and fees, etc, etc, and finally he gets annoyed and leaves. I can't even remember what the commercial is for, that's how irritating it is.

The only part I remember is one of the charges is "poison control surcharge".

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Like I really need to think about the late Donna Summer pretending to have an orgasm in connection with salad dressing. Jesus Christ.

That seems a rather innocuous use of the song, as it cuts off well before the extended orgasm portion kicks in.

Disclosure - I use Verizon for phone and TV and while their landline coverage I had back in the day made me think their company was Satan, whatever they have done since has made my opinion completely turn around and I love my cell and my internet and my DVR.  So this could be coloring my opinion, but I hate those Sprint ads.

First off, Can You Hear Me Now guy, no one would care who you are if you didn't make buckets of money from Verizon.  So shilling for Sprint now and bagging on Verizon makes you look like a jerk.  Don't bite the hand that fed you dude.

Second, doing a Sprint ad with the mic drop just after the one Tom Middleditch did for Verizon makes your ad company look lazy and unoriginal.  Have your own thoughts and maybe I'll pay attention to you.

• Love 13
On 3/19/2017 at 0:32 PM, spiderpig said:

This is not how I wanted to wake up on a lazy Sunday morning:

That 15th string Sam Elliott wannabe droning on about Duluth Trading Company underwear and beavers.

The Duluth Trading Company ads really bother me. I don't mind the fun, cartoony ones about underwear and beavers. At least they're clever. But why doesn't their women's apparel get the same fun treatment in their ads? All the commercials for the women's clothing features live action shots of women wearing the clothes doing rugged things. No humor, no cleverness. Does the Duluth Trading Company think women are just too dumb to make the connection between a fun cartoon ads and the clothes they buy? Screw you, Duluth Trading Company. You suck.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Eliot said:

Does the Duluth Trading Company think women are just too dumb to make the connection between a fun cartoon ads and the clothes they buy?

Or do they think men are just so dumb they need a stupid cartoon ad to get them to buy their underwear?  Either way, I hate the cartoon ads (haven't really noticed the women's ads) and mute them as soon as they come on.  And I won't be buying any of their stuff.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Eliot said:

The Duluth Trading Company ads really bother me. I don't mind the fun, cartoony ones about underwear and beavers. At least they're clever. But why doesn't their women's apparel get the same fun treatment in their ads? All the commercials for the women's clothing features live action shots of women wearing the clothes doing rugged things. No humor, no cleverness. Does the Duluth Trading Company think women are just too dumb to make the connection between a fun cartoon ads and the clothes they buy? Screw you, Duluth Trading Company. You suck.

I think they are holding back on the humorous stuff for women, because they don't want to be sued and go bankrupt for a stupid joke.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

Second, doing a Sprint ad with the mic drop just after the one Tom Middleditch did for Verizon makes your ad company look lazy and unoriginal.  Have your own thoughts and maybe I'll pay attention to you.

It's not like the Verizon ad painted them in a good light. Why is their spokesman too disorganized to say what he needed on the first shot? And what does it say that he went and grabbed another mic instead of reusing the one he dropped? Is the company that wasteful overall? (waste that customers would be paying for)

• Love 2
On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:56 PM, chenoa333 said:

Is that the (anti smoking?)commercial with the guy showing how he has to shave cause he has a hole in his throat to breathe? And the guy who has to take extra precautions to spray paint his house cause he has a hole in his throat as well?

Hey anti-smoking crusaders....people are going to do what they want to do if they're addicted. Whether it's cigs, booze, meth, oxycontin, gambling, sex, shopping. So take your hideous tv ads and shove 'em. You gross me out. 

I suspect they must do some good because otherwise they wouldn't spend the money to keep running them.  (I'll confess to not watching them, though.)

On ‎04‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 2:26 PM, legaleagle53 said:

Fortune is temporary; family is eternal.  It's a question of priorities, and I personally would say that family obligations trump all else. But maybe that's just how I myself roll.  Others may roll differently.

If someone is concerned about making a financial plan to keep the family solvent in the future, they can miss a little league or a yoga class once in a while to consult with their financial planner.  The woman in that commercial annoys the crap out of me, because almost everything she lists as reasons why she's not available is something which can be skipped on occasion.  It's not about fortune; it's about financial planning for the future, and making sure the family is taken care of down the road.

• Love 5

Maybe this was talked about X number of pages ago but I dislike the Booking.Com one in which this overwhelmed kindergarten teacher stands like a bump on log while her students totally trash their classroom and even bully at least one of their classmates and ALL she does is take her Smartphone out of one lightfingered kid's hands just so she can demonstrate how she can change her plans to a 'kid free' vacation. I mean, at NO point, does she ever attempt to actually call out much less discipline any of their vandalism, screaming,etc. or even bother to attempt to actually interact with her students but the audience is expected to pity her so she can have her Mexican vacation. Could her solipsism have possibly contributed to her charges having become a wrecking crew?  I only hope whoever subs for her manages to do a better job with them than she has but it seems a houseplant could manage to do that.

Besides, a teacher in a public school could not afford a vacation like the one featured in the commercial. And yes, she needs to find something else to do because clearly teaching is not for her.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I suspect they must do some good because otherwise they wouldn't spend the money to keep running them.  (I'll confess to not watching them, though.)

That's the point, though.  They have unlimited money, in perpetuity, to keep producing anti- ads.  They are beholden to keep making them.  That's what the tobacco settlement was for.  I mute or FF through them, they make me sick.  They also make me want a ciggie, even though it has been years, if not decades.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Besides, a teacher in a public school could not afford a vacation like the one featured in the commercial. And yes, she needs to find something else to do because clearly teaching is not for her.

It's possible the teacher in the ad is a sub (I'm reminded of Kindergarten Cop).

28 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

They have unlimited money, in perpetuity, to keep producing anti- ads.  They are beholden to keep making them.  That's what the tobacco settlement was for.

That does explain it. They don't have to care whether or not the ads are actually effective or whether or not the people making decisions about what the ads contain are the best people for the job since they can't fail, ever.

I would be interested, though, in a detailed accounting of all the money they're getting because being able to count on an unlimited supply of money in perpetuity tends to invite temptation, and they're obviously not thinking through or spending a lot on the ads themselves.

• Love 1

Is that Jeffrey Tambor in the Tide commercial picking up his dry cleaning only to discover they have cut off his shirt sleeves? Why is Jeffrey Tambor doing Tide commercials? Is he that hard up?

I also hate the Snickers commercial where the guy running the teleprompter has fallen asleep so the anchors stare into the camera and go "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa." What are they, robots? Like they would just read "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" because that's what's on the teleprompter? 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Is that Jeffrey Tambor in the Tide commercial picking up his dry cleaning only to discover they have cut off his shirt sleeves? Why is Jeffrey Tambor doing Tide commercials? Is he that hard up?

I also hate the Snickers commercial where the guy running the teleprompter has fallen asleep so the anchors stare into the camera and go "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa." What are they, robots? Like they would just read "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" because that's what's on the teleprompter? 

Ever Seen Anchorman?

/keep it classy San Diego.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Why is Jeffrey Tambor doing Tide commercials? Is he that hard up?

Doesn't necessarily need to be hard up. A commercial is usually a half a day shoot, and makes you money for months, if not a year. There's solid ROI there, plus if the spot you're talking about is the one I'm thinking of, that was originally a superbowl ad, so it's tons of publicity for him, and he probably got paid more for a superbowl ad than he would for just any old ad. But he's already shown himself not to be beyond doing commercials anyway since he's been doing hummus ads for a while.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

That Snickers ad makes me giggle.

Joe Cocker's version of "With a Little Help From My Friends" used to sell Walmart crap makes me want to burn down a city.

That commercial pisses me off because they're trying to show how awesome they are for this charitable work to help feed people in need while their company is one of THE reasons so many people are hungry and otherwise in need in the first place. People working for them and getting paid scraps while the owners get richer and richer. SMH.

• Love 17
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

He did a humus commercial not that long ago too.

A Place for Mom...oh yeah, one of my most hated commercials. And why is a woman (Joan Lunden) talking about a place for "mom", when she IS the mom who needs a place? And it's also great that advertisers are comparing the older generation to garbage that nobody knows exactly what to do with....put it out for the trash collector? maybe put it in the recycle bin? how about getting a storage locker? It's cheaper than a nursing home right? Pisses me off to no end

• Love 5

The chick in the Latuda ad is such a downer she makes me near-suicidal, and if I hear the "See me" commercial for some psoriasis medication one more time, I'll punch a puppy, so help me.  My apologies if I'm being insensitive.  I don't think of myself as a hard-hearted Hannah usually, but these (and a few other medical ones) just drive me around the bend.  Why are almost all pharmaceutical commercials so completely awful?  

• Love 12
17 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

A Place for Mom...oh yeah, one of my most hated commercials. And why is a woman (Joan Lunden) talking about a place for "mom", when she IS the mom who needs a place? 

Joan lunden is in her 60's, far too young for being put in a place like that.  People in their 60's are the ones finding places to care for their parents who are in their 80s and 90s.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, mojoween said:

First off, Can You Hear Me Now guy, no one would care who you are if you didn't make buckets of money from Verizon.  So shilling for Sprint now and bagging on Verizon makes you look like a jerk.  Don't bite the hand that fed you dude.

Reminds me of the "where's the beef?" lady back in the 1980s. She did an ad for Wendy's ("Where's the beef"),  but they canceled her contract when she also did one for Prego that tried to imply a link to the Wendy's ad ("I finally found it").

12 hours ago, Eliot said:

They're avoiding the shitstorm of internet RAGE that would result from any attempt to do a funny ad involving women.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, backformore said:

Joan lunden is in her 60's, far too young for being put in a place like that.  People in their 60's are the ones finding places to care for their parents who are in their 80s and 90s.

My apologies. I thought Joan Lunden was a lot older. But nevertheless, it's still a commercial that reeks of disrespect for the elderly and greed from the people who own "a place for mom". And where is "dad"? Are we to assume he's already dead because "statistics" show women outlive men? Or maybe dad still gets to live at home with the adult children so they can convince dad to sign everything in his will over to them. Lol! 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, VMepicgrl said:

That commercial pisses me off because they're trying to show how awesome they are for this charitable work to help feed people in need while their company is one of THE reasons so many people are hungry and otherwise in need in the first place. People working for them and getting paid scraps while the owners get richer and richer. SMH.

I haven't seen the Walmart commercial of which you two speak, but I can attest that it's well researched and reported that many of Walmart's employees make low enough wages to qualify for public assistance.

• Love 11
38 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I haven't seen the Walmart commercial of which you two speak, but I can attest that it's well researched and reported that many of Walmart's employees make low enough wages to qualify for public assistance.

But that's the point.  Walmart's hypocrisy is showing when it humble-brags about doing charitable work to feed people in need when its own employees are paid so poorly that they themselves need public assistance just to survive.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

They're avoiding the shitstorm of internet RAGE that would result from any attempt to do a funny ad involving women.

OTOH, they don't seem to mind making eight billion ads that make men look like utter morons, so maybe it balances out?

• Love 1
On 4/21/2017 at 0:48 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

He looks so hurt by it! His face just falls! And does he have a dog? His arm looks like he's walking a dog, but I don't see a dog.

On 4/17/2017 at 0:09 PM, tanyak said:

I guess it depends on where little Johnny is practicing baseball. At our Y, technically parents are supposed to stay for practice. As kids move up in age group, more parents leave to go in the facility or for a walk around the track. Parents aren't supposed to be 30 minutes away shopping or financial planning. lol I suppose club sports (where you pay a pretty penny) are different.

But yes, that's a very busy woman.

On 4/17/2017 at 0:42 PM, Brattinella said:

SO glad I am childless.

I'm SO glad my children are grown.  I would not have been happy had some sports facility or coach tried to control my free (read: kid-free) time. If a parent picks up the kid on time and has a cell phone, who should care what that parent does during practice?

• Love 4

Here's a commercial that makes no damn sense as far as it's correlation to the product: teenage boy sitting in the bathroom on a toilet with the lid down (he is just using the toilet for a seat, not for it's actual purpose) having a talk with his dad about how heartbroken he is cause he just got dumped (no pun intended) by his girlfriend. And lo and behold....it's a commercial for toilet paper. What?huh? 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, backformore said:

How about people in their 40s finding a place for their parents who are in their 70s. You don't have to be 90 to need help. Many older people find that taking care of a house is too much, and would be happier in a small facility with planned activities and shuttle services. 

• Love 5
On 4/21/2017 at 0:35 PM, mojoween said:

Joe Cocker's version of "With a Little Help From My Friends" used to sell Walmart crap makes me want to burn down a city.

If you're going to play me that song, you darn well better follow it up with an episode of The Wonder Years.

• Love 15

"I want to drive a hybrid car but I'm not sure it's for me

I don't eat kale and I've never hugged a tree 

I want to drive a hybrid car but I'm not sure it's for me

Lawnmower engine, no cargo room and crappy battery..."

Somehow, I'm not feeling the sympathy here.

• Love 11

The construction guy at the beginning, who in the next ad talks about his "bros," is way hot so I can't completely hate on that ad.  However, the song is an earworm and I totally hate that.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, smittykins said:

"I want to drive a hybrid car but I'm not sure it's for me

I don't eat kale and I've never hugged a tree 

I want to drive a hybrid car but I'm not sure it's for me

Lawnmower engine, no cargo room and crappy battery..."

Somehow, I'm not feeling the sympathy here.

I swear the person who wrote this song also write that "I have a brain"  university of Phoenix song.   They seem very similar to me. 

I hate them both.

• Love 13