Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I forget what pharmaceutical it is, and I may have mentioned it before, but in the commercial's side-effects/warning part, the voiceover says something like, "Don't give to anyone under 6 years old," followed immediately by, "Don't give to anyone between 6 and 17 years old." What is the point of having two sentences when one would have sufficed? 

Also, I heard one last night that used "has" when it should have been "have." Something like "Never has Item 1 and Item 2 been so..." (and it was not, say "peanut butter and jelly," which is fine to treat as a single thing by using "has").

I think that's the commercial for Linzess. IIRC, it says it can't be given to children under 6, and shouldn't be given to children 6-17. I interpreted it as a definite no-no for the under 6 crowd but 6-17 could take it if absolutely necessary. But since I haven't seen the commercial recently, I could be remembering it the way my brain rationalized it. 

As an aside, I was prescribed Linzess. I completely understand why you wouldn't give it to a child. 

• Love 3

Between emojis and "on fleek," I didn't even need the stupid song to make that unbearably annoying.  But, I must say, the one real (non-emoji) woman's reactions were pretty funny sometimes.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Between emojis and "on fleek," I didn't even need the stupid song to make that unbearably annoying.  But, I must say, the one real (non-emoji) woman's reactions were pretty funny sometimes.

Even Urban Dictionary says that "on fleek" is something that only uncultured idiots say.

• Love 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I just can't even .

Edited by Brattinella
On 5/7/2016 at 0:12 AM, bref said:

I would definitely not be thinking about cooking in a foreign country--I would want to try the local cuisine prepared by locals, and I would have zero idea of available ingredients or what kind of utensils or appliances I could expect an AirBnB home to have. 

"Hi... we're from another country, staying next door... Your charming local market is closed for the night...  Can we borrow a cup of locusts for dinner?"

• Love 10

That's pretty much all I am looking for when on vacation:  NO COOKING, room cleaned daily (by someone else) and room service or restaurants.  AirBnB just leaves me cold, especially after reading some horror stories.

• Love 10

Cancer Treatment Center, woman is easily winded, goes to the Dr., finds out she has cancer. I'm not unsympathetic to her, it's a shock even when you suspect it. But Cancer Treatment Centers has such a supportive staff - this I'm not sure of, I'm highly suspicious of them. I'm sure they have helped some people. But, why when she talks about getting some kind of melting tablet, why does she change her voice and talk like she has the tablet under her tongue that very moment? Then her voice goes back to her normal speaking voice.

And the LifeLock, fear mongering ads. I know people are at risk, my sister's identity was stolen, big joke on the fool who applied for her tax refund - she had tons of school loans and every tax return goes to pay those. But I always mock the woman, "I was afraid."

Who named the product NoNo? That sounds like what you tell a toddler or a pet. I understand that it means no hair and no pain, but it's a stupid product name.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I didn't click it, but is that the one where they spray the stuff under their arms, and then one of them is all, "It feels really soft."?

'Cause, WTF does that even mean, and why would anyone care?

No!  It's a thousand times worse!

This one forced me to contemplate the entire production of the commercial... from inspiration, to model casting, to lighting, to camera work...  I was unprepared for it when I saw it.

ETA:  Oh my barf!  They made a male version of the commercial, using grass instead of confetti.

I was looking the female one up on iSpot and clicked on the male one, thinking it was the same commercial (very similar thumbnails).  I'm becoming addicted to iSpot's hilariously bland descriptions of commercials.

Edited by erikdepressant
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I didn't click it, but is that the one where they spray the stuff under their arms, and then one of them is all, "It feels really soft."?

'Cause, WTF does that even mean, and why would anyone care?

I might be remembering wrong, but I thought the point was regular deodorant usually irritates the skin in one way or another, but this one supposedly leaves the skin soft? At least that's what I thought the "soft" thing was getting at. 

• Love 1

Whatever the commercial is that is using "Zou Bisou Bisou" as it's song is making me beyond stabby.  All it does is remind me of the c decline of MadMen and...  Megan (ptooey).

I second (third) the hate for the yoga pants/smelly crap they are schilling.  I am extremely allergic and the more crap they sell just makes me accept the fact that I can never go to a movie again, ever.  100+ people with 500+ scents on them...  sigh.

• Love 9
On 5/7/2016 at 6:41 PM, Rick Kitchen said:

Good Lord, this is awful! And they played it before Captain America in the theater.  :(

YES! I couldn't believe how bad this commercial was. I'm guessing they threw everything in that they thought would appeal to millennials, not bothering to worry about whether it makes sense. "Ooh, they text emojis! How can we use those?" And "Oh, yeah, and isn't there a saying, 'on fleck'... Or maybe it's 'on fleek!' Throw that in, too!" 

When it finally ended (it seemed like the longest commercial EVER), there were many boos, hoots, and catcalls in the theater from the primarily millennial-age audience. My husband said, "They'll throw any piece of crap up and call it a commercial these days, won't they?"

• Love 2
On 5/9/2016 at 5:04 PM, editorgrrl said:

Dutch Glow® Amish Cleaning Tonic ("from a pure and simple people") when added to water "makes water wetter"?!

I thought Amish people only went to school until the 8th grade....how did they figure out the secret of making wetter water?

And why do I want my cleaning products from pure and simple people?  I want it from people who went to college and studied up on this stuff!

16 hours ago, Stella Rose said:

Whatever the commercial is that is using "Zou Bisou Bisou" as it's song is making me beyond stabby.  All it does is remind me of the c decline of MadMen and...  Megan (ptooey).

I second (third) the hate for the yoga pants/smelly crap they are schilling.  I am extremely allergic and the more crap they sell just makes me accept the fact that I can never go to a movie again, ever.  100+ people with 500+ scents on them...  sigh.

Fellow Megan detractor here.  What product is this for so I may properly register my anger in a YouTube comments section?

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, RCharter said:

And why do I want my cleaning products from pure and simple people?

Because they don't fiddle around with what already works. I don't know what Clorox was trying to do in changing up their bleach, but its no longer effective at bleaching anything; at least they're honest enough not to advertise it that way any more, but if you want a disinfectant, why wouldn't you just buy something specifically designed for that?

• Love 5
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:03 PM, greekmom said:

The Mountain Dew commercial with the puppy/monkey/baby.  Those people who created that commercial must have been on serious drugs to inflict this crap on us.

Wasn't that an ad for some American swill beer?

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 0:48 AM, erikdepressant said:

ETA:  Oh my barf!  They made a male version of the commercial, using grass instead of confetti.

I was going to ask about that one. What annoys me most about it they obviously changed the position of the confetti cannon or grass mulcher aimed at the man's armpits but there wasn't really that much sticking to him in the first shot.

• Love 1

Cosentyx

See me See Me SEE ME SEE ME

I have a lot of sympathy for psoriasis sufferers, really I do. But the teenager in me rebels when I am being COMMANDED to do something. Especially since this commercial is directed at non-sufferers. There is another psoriasis drug with a charming commercial that gets the point across in an appealing and upbeat way.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, SoSueMe said:

Cosentyx

See me See Me SEE ME SEE ME

I have a lot of sympathy for psoriasis sufferers, really I do. But the teenager in me rebels when I am being COMMANDED to do something. Especially since this commercial is directed at non-sufferers. There is another psoriasis drug with a charming commercial that gets the point across in an appealing and upbeat way.

That commercial confuses me....are people who suffer from psoriasis invisible?  I thought the point was that people that suffer from psoriasis don't want people to see their psoriasis....but it does seem confusing when you say you want them to see you, but in a way you kinda don't.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

What annoys me most about it they obviously changed the position of the confetti cannon or grass mulcher aimed at the man's armpits but there wasn't really that much sticking to him in the first shot.

I was thinking the same thing. 

And also, it's the spray vs. gel antiperspirant.  I could be wrong, but I feel like if you had a problem with your gel being too wet, you would have already tried regular stick deodorant.  I mean, it seems that people who use gel use it for a reason.  I don't know though!  I don't use it.  (Because I found it to be too wet -- my confetti kept sticking to my pits -- so I switched to normal deodorant.)

• Love 11

And also, it's the spray vs. gel antiperspirant.

That's what bugs me about the commercial -- of course the spray is going to dry faster than the gel. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

I was thinking the same thing. 

And also, it's the spray vs. gel antiperspirant.  I could be wrong, but I feel like if you had a problem with your gel being too wet, you would have already tried regular stick deodorant.  I mean, it seems that people who use gel use it for a reason.  I don't know though!  I don't use it.  (Because I found it to be too wet -- my confetti kept sticking to my pits -- so I switched to normal deodorant.)

You know how you get nasty stains on the armpits of t-shirts?  The BEST way to use anti-perspirant is to apply before bedtime.  I swear by it.  It not only doesn't stain your clothes, it lasts 24 hours, just like if you put it on before getting dressed.

• Love 8
On 5/9/2016 at 5:04 PM, editorgrrl said:

Dutch Glow® Amish Cleaning Tonic ("from a pure and simple people") when added to water "makes water wetter"?!

Technically, even ordinary dish soap is a surfactant -- it breaks the surface tension of water, and, in simple terms, "makes water wetter".  That's how it works.  

• Love 11
(edited)

See me See Me SEE ME SEE ME

I have a lot of sympathy for psoriasis sufferers, really I do. But the teenager in me rebels when I am being COMMANDED to do something. 

when I hear this, I start to sing, "see me, feel me, touch me, heal me..."

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, Joe Blow said:

Technically, even ordinary dish soap is a surfactant -- it breaks the surface tension of water, and, in simple terms, "makes water wetter".  That's how it works.  

I still don't understand, but I'm so amused that "wetter water" actually has a scientific explanation.

• Love 4

I can't find a shorter version on YT so this will have to do. I am so tired of the Dash Cam Pro commercials that I literally say "Ugh" out loud when one comes on. I see them the most during the day before primetime hours on the NBC/FOX affiliate here. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Has anyone else seen the Honda commercial where everyone except the Honda driver is walking around with a big square head? Creepy and disturbing.

I saw that too.  I was expecting the commercial to advertise some new medicine for a chronic, moderate to severe condition.  Square world reminded me of pipes world, origami world, and inflatable plastic world.

4 hours ago, Jaded said:

I can't find a shorter version on YT so this will have to do. I am so tired of the Dash Cam Pro commercials that I literally say "Ugh" out loud when one comes on. I see them the most during the day before primetime hours on the NBC/FOX affiliate here. 

I was interested in that for work purposes, but they lost me where they suggested using it to capture adorable car trip moments.  Parents could, however, put an end to the arguments over which kid hit the other one first.

• Love 4
(edited)

What annoys me most is the woman in the courtroom - "Let's go to the Dash Cam Pro..." - she has such a damned smug look on her face, I'd fine her anyway.

The other part I find baffling is the chick with the cell phone seems to be sitting still in traffic and the other asshat runs into her.  I think they're trying to imply *she's* the villain because she's on her phone, but the other guy ran into a stopped car.  Sure, she shouldn't be "blocking the box" in the intersection, but if traffic had been moving and then stopped while she was in the intersection, what's she supposed to do? If she's the one with the Dash Cam Pro, it's probably pointed where she's heading, not at some random dude on the side.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

What annoys me most is the woman in the courtroom - "Let's go to the Dash Cam Pro..." - she has such a damned smug look on her face, I'd fine her anyway.

The other part I find baffling is the chick with the cell phone seems to be sitting still in traffic and the other asshat runs into her.  I think they're trying to imply *she's* the villain because she's on her phone, but the other guy ran into a stopped car.  Sure, she shouldn't be "blocking the box" in the intersection, but if traffic had been moving and then stopped while she was in the intersection, what's she supposed to do? If she's the one with the Dash Cam Pro, it's probably pointed where she's heading, not at some random dude on the side.

She may still be partially at fault for being on her phone, depending on the wording of the state's laws regarding car cell phone usage.  It could make a big difference to the respective insurance companies and in a trial.

• Love 2
(edited)

"As you can see in my Dash Cam Pro video, the other driver ran the red light when she was turning her Dash Cam Pro around to get a video of her children having a special moment.  In her video, watch for the looks on her kids' faces when her kids' faces collide, and note the time stamp."

Edited by erikdepressant
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

First off, that courtroom scene is just ridiculous....I realize what they are going for, but its too much.  A judge isn't going to let you just randomly stand in front of him, and he is going to take exception to you trying to run his courtroom.....I don't care if its just small claims court....

Second, its pretty much illegal in every state to be watching a screen to view your precious angels in the backseat instead of watching the road.  I do not understand how that is being sold as a feature, especially since this video made a point about how terrible it is to drive distracted.  I would say you can use the reverse feature for when you are backing out of a driveway or trying to parallel park or something.  Why they would sell it as a way to distract yourself is weird.

Third, are you able to turn it on when your car is off?  If not, how are you going to catch the guy angrily hitting your car with a shopping cart.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, RCharter said:

Third, are you able to turn it on when your car is off?  If not, how are you going to catch the guy angrily hitting your car with a shopping cart.

According to the manual (downloadable from their web site), it can work for up to 15-30 minutes without power if it's fully charged, which takes 3-5 hours. To catch the shopping cart guy, you'd probably need to plug it into an accessory outlet that stays on with the ignition off, and maybe paint a bullseye on the front of your car for him, because it won't catch him if he comes at your car from the wrong direction.

• Love 2
On 4/15/2016 at 2:16 AM, Scout Finch said:

What I find hilarious is that even though she's really proud of it, she printed the degree out on plain copy paper and unevenly stuck it on her cubicle wall with a thumbtack! Like, wouldn't you at the very least buy a nice certificate frame to put it in? I figure it's some sort of her sub-conscious awareness that it probably really IS only worth the paper it's printed on.

OMG, years ago the company I was at brought in a new manager who displayed his U of P MBA degree in a frame in his cubicle.  He was a huge douchebag, no common sense, and freaked out at the first meeting I had to take him to - our boss said take him, group of senior managers were asking about a system change.  I had to do all the talking; they were a bunch of hard nosed assholes, but I just stated the facts, answered their questions.  Mr. Douchebag came out of that meeting going "wow".  He didn't last even 6 months.  What was hilarious was months later, someone in a totally different area said oh he left already, no surprise.  He'd asked a few things via email and Mr. Douchebag was clueless, couldn't even try to figure out what he was asking for or direct him to someone else.  Then this guy said,  yeah it was priceless how he had that damned diploma on his desk - and from U of P?  The ads just annoy me - a degree is a degree?  No, not really.  Degrees from top schools do open more doors than degrees from middling or lesser known schools.  

I also cannot stand the "Jake from State Farm" ad - the whiney wife at 2 a.m.  Hubby should say yeah, I'm on a phone sex line because I can't stand your whiney ass any longer.

Also during the day here, they run an ad for Drive Time, some used car place.  The two actresses in their van - neither have any talent or likeability.

We also have the various law firms - the one that really annoys has the two teenaged girls fighting in a car - one has worn the other's sweater or something without asking again.  One calls "Daddy" as he's driving in another car somewhere.  Daddy is too busy yelling at both whiney girls, totally doesn't pay attention to traffic and hits a motorcycle.  We just see the cycle flying, I think it shows it hitting Daddy's windshield, we see the cycle and rider lying to the side, Daddy is bloodied inside his car.  One voice, screaming "Daddy, Daddy, are you ok?  Daaaaaddy!" The voice over says an accident can change your life in an instant.  Ok, the only one I feel any sympathy for is the motorcyclist, who was obeying the law and minding his own business and is now lying motionless.  There are other variations.

Flo is past her expiration date.  It was cute for a while, but now I cannot stand her.

• Love 5
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:18 AM, BabyVegas said:

Do you ever find that a commercial would be totally fine if not for one teeny weeny little thing? I have no beef with Modelo Especial except that one of those commercials is listing things you're supposed to do if you want another thing and one of the things they say is "if you want a girl to marry you, you ask her father." Uh WHAT? No. If you want me to marry you, come talk to me about it. That's my decision. My father doesn't control my life and hasn't for over a decade now. And I know that getting into gender politics in a beer commercial is a deep dive of gender issues, but why did they have to put that line in there? The commercial would have worked just as well without it.

I have fanwanked this to mean he is part of a cult in which they marry off girls rather than allowing women to marry who they choose.  So he is asking dad for the hand of his 13 year old daughter.  After all, according to the ad, he wants a girl to marry him.  And now Modelo makes me skeeved out, stabby and sad. 

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 5:04 PM, editorgrrl said:

I believe my problem is I have been using dry water when cleaning.  No wonder I have so much trouble.   Pet peeve - this ad says it works "good".  Do Amish cleaning geniuses not understand grammar? 

• Love 8
(edited)
On 5/10/2016 at 7:31 PM, RCharter said:

That commercial confuses me....are people who suffer from psoriasis invisible?  I thought the point was that people that suffer from psoriasis don't want people to see their psoriasis....but it does seem confusing when you say you want them to see you, but in a way you kinda don't.

They're saying to see them as a person as opposed to just staring at their psoriasis or thinking of them as "psoriasis person". They're not just a disease. They're people with talents and interests who just happen to have a disease that you can't catch, so stop treating them like a damned leper. Full disclosure - my SIL has psoriasis and lots of people are pretty damned rude.

ETA: That's a generic "you", not a you "you".

Edited by riley702
  • Love 8
19 minutes ago, riley702 said:

They're saying to see them as a person as opposed to just staring at their psoriasis or thinking of them as "psoriasis person". They're not just a disease. They're people with talents and interests who just happen to have a disease that you can't catch, so stop treating them like a damned leper. Full disclosure - my SIL has psoriasis and lots of people are pretty damned rude.

ETA: That's a generic "you", not a you "you".

No worries....I guess I haven't met anyone with psoriasis.  But, full disclosure, I'm one of those people who is scared of catching anything......I once ran at full speed in stiletto heels from a woman who was phlegm coughing.

It sounds to me like people with psoriasis just prefer they didn't have it so that people who see them and not their disease....which makes more sense for a commercial....IMHO.  Sorry for your SIL....people can be the very worst :(

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:51 PM, erikdepressant said:

I saw that too.  I was expecting the commercial to advertise some new medicine for a chronic, moderate to severe condition.  Square world reminded me of pipes world, origami world, and inflatable plastic world.

The cube-head world reminded me of the box cosplay I see at Dragoncon.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:51 PM, erikdepressant said:

I was interested in that for work purposes, but they lost me where they suggested using it to capture adorable car trip moments.  Parents could, however, put an end to the arguments over which kid hit the other one first.

BWAH!

• Love 2

Also during the day here, they run an ad for Drive Time, some used car place.  The two actresses in their van - neither have any talent or likeability.

I have to confess, I kind of find the Drive Time commercials vaguely amusing at first.  Then they run them a thousand times and kill any amusement value whatsoever.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

The ads just annoy me - a degree is a degree?  No, not really.  Degrees from top schools do open more doors than degrees from middling or lesser known schools.

Which is ironic since the quality of education is often worse at a top school because priorities are elsewhere (but what accreditation team would dare say anything?).

• Love 2
10 hours ago, RCharter said:

No worries....I guess I haven't met anyone with psoriasis.  But, full disclosure, I'm one of those people who is scared of catching anything......I once ran at full speed in stiletto heels from a woman who was phlegm coughing.

It sounds to me like people with psoriasis just prefer they didn't have it so that people who see them and not their disease....which makes more sense for a commercial....IMHO.  Sorry for your SIL....people can be the very worst :(

I'm that scaredy-cat person too.  I have absolutely NO PROBLEM moving away quickly from someone sneezing/coughing.  Or putting a barrier between me and that person (like another person, or my coat or my purse)  It is NOT cute to allow your child to cough or sneeze with his mouth uncovered, you dullards in the store!

• Love 4
15 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

OMG, years ago the company I was at brought in a new manager who displayed his U of P MBA degree in a frame in his cubicle.  He was a huge douchebag, no common sense, and freaked out at the first meeting I had to take him to - our boss said take him, group of senior managers were asking about a system change.  I had to do all the talking; they were a bunch of hard nosed assholes, but I just stated the facts, answered their questions.  Mr. Douchebag came out of that meeting going "wow".  He didn't last even 6 months.  What was hilarious was months later, someone in a totally different area said oh he left already, no surprise.  He'd asked a few things via email and Mr. Douchebag was clueless, couldn't even try to figure out what he was asking for or direct him to someone else.  Then this guy said,  yeah it was priceless how he had that damned diploma on his desk - and from U of P?  The ads just annoy me - a degree is a degree?  No, not really.  Degrees from top schools do open more doors than degrees from middling or lesser known schools.  

I also cannot stand the "Jake from State Farm" ad - the whiney wife at 2 a.m.  Hubby should say yeah, I'm on a phone sex line because I can't stand your whiney ass any longer.

We also have the various law firms - the one that really annoys has the two teenaged girls fighting in a car - one has worn the other's sweater or something without asking again.  One calls "Daddy" as he's driving in another car somewhere.  Daddy is too busy yelling at both whiney girls, totally doesn't pay attention to traffic and hits a motorcycle.  We just see the cycle flying, I think it shows it hitting Daddy's windshield, we see the cycle and rider lying to the side, Daddy is bloodied inside his car.  One voice, screaming "Daddy, Daddy, are you ok?  Daaaaaddy!" The voice over says an accident can change your life in an instant.  Ok, the only one I feel any sympathy for is the motorcyclist, who was obeying the law and minding his own business and is now lying motionless.  There are other variations.

Flo is past her expiration date.  It was cute for a while, but now I cannot stand her.

I hate the Jake from State Farm ads. I liked it with the Coneheads, but now that the whiny wife one is back... ugh.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Which is ironic since the quality of education is often worse at a top school because priorities are elsewhere (but what accreditation team would dare say anything?).

In this particular case though, it's not top school versus state school.  It's the for-profit college industry, which is mostly a scam.

Which brings me to the story I heard on NPR yesterday morning while getting ready for work.  Seconds into the story, they played the beginning of The Commercial.  I nearly jumped out of my skin.  I was so hoping it was going to be an entire story about how awful the commercial is, but it was just a story about the industry.  Blech.  And damn you, UofP!

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/05/12/477655591/jail-time-for-a-for-profit-college-founder

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Which brings me to the story I heard on NPR yesterday morning while getting ready for work.

Sounds just like the stereotype for recruitment of talented athletes by big-name nonprofit colleges. Nonprofits have also been known to enroll unqualified students for other reasons, such as making a quota for minorities. The feds did some cleanup a while back; now it's the for-profit's turn.

• Love 1