Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

38 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

They just don't stop with the Chevy commercials that suck. 

Now they don't have douchebag there introducing them, its just a bunch of people walk up to a Chevy and start making stupid comments that we are supposed to believe are somehow insightful, real and believable. 

NO ONE DOES THIS!!!  ESPECIALLY NOT OVER A CHEVY!!

Who is it that likes these commercials or what feedback are they getting that tells them this is a great idea?  Did they hire 10 year olds to write them?  They've been doing those for years, as if this is just so great that can't change it. 

Several years ago, I sat on a focus group.  That level of stupid explained everything

• Love 8

5 hours ago, Pickles said:

She has to rip off her pants and dive in the pool. 

Is Matthew McConaughey in the pool already?

From what I understand about Matthew McConaughey's personal hygiene, I would think twice before getting into a pool with him.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

From what I understand about Matthew McConaughey's personal hygiene, I would think twice before getting into a pool with him.

Or Whitney Way Bore.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

From what I understand about his personal hygiene, the up-close-and-personal fantasy would play out so much better if he's already been cleansed in the pool. The chlorine takes care of the germs. 😎

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Whitney Way Bore.

I assume Whitney Way Thore "American television personality best known for her appearances on the television show My Big Fat Fabulous Life," Another person like Busy Philipp and Gigi Hadid I'm more than happy not knowing about.

2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I would think twice before getting into a pool with him.

I would think twice under any circumstances.

• Love 3
On 5/30/2019 at 10:13 AM, kariyaki said:

Who the hell breaks up with a guy and then hangs around to eat at his apartment?

One of my exes and I broke up (in the car at a park) and then went for ice cream... 🤷‍♀️

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

One of my exes and I broke up (in the car at a park) and then went for ice cream... 🤷‍♀️

I went out to lunch with a guy right after we broke up.   And, another guy and I broke up at my place and I ended up storming upstairs and he hung out for a while until he realized I wasn't coming back down.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I went out to lunch with a guy right after we broke up.   And, another guy and I broke up at my place and I ended up storming upstairs and he hung out for a while until he realized I wasn't coming back down.  

It was a fairly mutual, amicable (obviously) breakup. Either way he still would have had to drive me home. Ice cream was his idea. Why not? We were friends for a while after that but we've long since lost touch.

• Love 2
On 6/7/2019 at 7:42 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

The only thing I think about that ad is that its a fantasy of some people's idea of a perfect Mom-a Mom who will put aside everything to spend the day playing with her kid.  I doubt there are many real Moms who would actually do it. (And frankly, as a kid, I never wanted adults involved in anything I was doing for fun because they basically wrung all the enjoyment out of an activity.  ...And usually things would end up with a lot of yelling and threats of "the strap." If I had asked my Mom to do anything like the ad she would have told me to "go play in the street.")

I agree.  While my parents, siblings and I played some board games together and my mom and  I Iiked to play cards a lot, to see my mom or dad dressing up to play pirates.....I would have thought they were smoking pot.  (Which I assure you, they did NOT do.)

I agree I never wanted grown up in my play time with friends and they would probably want to do it THEIR way.   Go read the paper, have a beer and a cigarette.  (Hey it was the 70's!)

• LOL 4
  • Love 10
38 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree.  While my parents, siblings and I played some board games together and my mom and  I Iiked to play cards a lot, to see my mom or dad dressing up to play pirates.....I would have thought they were smoking pot.  (Which I assure you, they did NOT do.)

I agree I never wanted grown up in my play time with friends and they would probably want to do it THEIR way.   Go read the paper, have a beer and a cigarette.  (Hey it was the 70's!)

anne bancroft film GIF

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 6/7/2019 at 8:42 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

The only thing I think about that ad is that its a fantasy of some people's idea of a perfect Mom-a Mom who will put aside everything to spend the day playing with her kid.  I doubt there are many real Moms who would actually do it. (And frankly, as a kid, I never wanted adults involved in anything I was doing for fun because they basically wrung all the enjoyment out of an activity.  ...And usually things would end up with a lot of yelling and threats of "the strap." If I had asked my Mom to do anything like the ad she would have told me to "go play in the street.")

I had a mom like the one in the commercial, except we didn't have all those props.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I've read that both Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp have a similar, casual attitude toward personal hygiene. David Duchovny had some choice comments about Pitt when they were filming Kalifornia, so it's not coming from some disgruntled girlfriend.

• Love 5

This is a local radio ad, but it annoys me nonetheless.  It's for a local Northern California plumbing and HVAC company called Bonney.

Woman 1: Wow, it's really hot.  It's a good thing our air conditioner is working so well.

Woman 2 (with a British accent, for some unknown reason): I wish your father had gotten our air conditioning worked on, we're having to stay in a hotel.  (Now, at this point, I'm assuming the British Woman 2 is the Woman 1's mother, but stepmother, father's girlfriend, who knows?)

W1: Well, my husband used Bonney Plumbing, so we know we got good service.  (Shouting) Honey, did you call Bonney Plumbing?

Man (off in the distance): No I used <mumble mumble>

W2: They never learn.

So, what is going on here? Woman 1 said at the very beginning that their air conditioning was working great, so why the dig at the <presumably> husband?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I assume Whitney Way Thore "American television personality best known for her appearances on the television show My Big Fat Fabulous Life," Another person like Busy Philipp and Gigi Hadid I'm more than happy not knowing about.

I would think twice under any circumstances.

Obviously you are not familiar with the episode of MBFFL in which Whitney proudly proclaims that she has urinated in the hot tub (at a resort, no less) and expects her friends to join her in said toilet......

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Obviously you are not familiar with the episode of MBFFL in which Whitney proudly proclaims that she has urinated in the hot tub (at a resort, no less) and expects her friends to join her in said toilet......

Yikes!  I've never seen that show, or any with those other ladies mentioned.  Maybe in commercials, I dunno.  I'll stick with late-night oldies shows. :)

• Love 4

https://tv.avclub.com/what-s-it-like-to-be-one-of-the-regular-people-in-tho-1798262273

Background info from someone who was in one of the Chevy ads. They lure them in with "want to do some paid market research?" and then leverage their social conditioning to not be jerks:

We never retook a take, but you felt really bad about saying something negative about Chevy because there were 50 cameras on you, and it was just this one guy. He did this magic trick of making it seem like you were hurting his feelings if you said anything bad about Chevy. You didn’t want to see this guy stop smiling. It was really bizarre

• Useful 4
On 5/29/2019 at 8:26 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Alexa ad featuring Whitney Houston "I Wanna Dance with Somebody":  Shut. It.  A gigantic mouth with gigantic teeth screaching out a song I kinda hate........(sorry!)  Oy!  Reach for the mute.

I have hated that song since it first came out.

In other news, the couple in the Rav4 commercial (she stares blankly into space and finishes his sentences when he trails off) needs to meet up with the blind direction-giving serial killer from the Subaru ad.

• Love 2

Glad I am not the only one who hates the migraine-suffering-mom-who-plays-pirate with her daughter.  And she doesn't say "let's play" ... she says "let's plaaay" and it drives me crazy.  I hate hate hate that commercial.  It is just so over-the-top with the "play" and scenery.  It would have been okay if she had told her daughter that she was feeling better and why didn't they do something together.  I dressed my daughter's Barbie up a couple of times when she had new clothes, the van or the pool.  But we didn't create an entire fantasy world; even I want to play in the Pirate World in the commercial.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Kemper said:

Glad I am not the only one who hates the migraine-suffering-mom-who-plays-pirate with her daughter.  And she doesn't say "let's play" ... she says "let's plaaay" and it drives me crazy.  I hate hate hate that commercial.  It is just so over-the-top with the "play" and scenery.  It would have been okay if she had told her daughter that she was feeling better and why didn't they do something together.  I dressed my daughter's Barbie up a couple of times when she had new clothes, the van or the pool.  But we didn't create an entire fantasy world; even I want to play in the Pirate World in the commercial.

I just saw this one - I'd seen it before but that was before I read the pretty unanimous outpouring of hate for it here.  I actually got the impression that it was showing the mom's fantasy of what she could do if she didn't have to deal with migraines.  So I didn't exactly hate it, more like it felt like a run of the mill commercial.  But obviously it triggered major hate with a lot of people!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Jamoche said:

We never retook a take, but you felt really bad about saying something negative about Chevy because there were 50 cameras on you, and it was just this one guy. He did this magic trick of making it seem like you were hurting his feelings if you said anything bad about Chevy. You didn’t want to see this guy stop smiling. It was really bizarre

really, really, REALLY want to see him stop smiling!  No wonder I'm never asked to participate in focus groups...

• LOL 6
  • Love 7

I am annoyed by the GE dishwasher dry boost commercial on two levels.  First, it yet another hapless husband / yogurt bitch wife scenario.  Second, why do you need to dry an entire load of dishes 3 times faster?   If you only have one sippy cup for your kid and it's just been washed, maybe pull it out a dry it with a dishtowel rather than using enough electric to run a whole house for a day to have a machine do what would take 5 seconds to do manually. 

• Love 11
On 6/4/2019 at 1:25 PM, Ubiquitous said:
flight trw GIF

You know, it was lame and I didn't like it, but I didn't really care about it, until the commercial with them trying to lampshade it as a portmando(?)* of Liberty Mutual as a way to make you remember their name made me hate them.

* Portmanteau

• Love 2
(edited)

I never feel that it's right to hate on kids in commercials, but I am really annoyed by that little girl in the Morning Star food truck pushing some kind of veggie burger. "It's a plant, and if I like it and I'm a kid so if I like it..."

I don't even mind some of the Morning Star foods, their mozzarella cheese sticks aren't terrible and I can heat up the 2 or 3 I want and put the rest back in the freezer for another snack day. Faint praise, but I only like mozzarella cheese sticks once in a while and only a few at a time. Same for jalapeno poppers, one or two is enough for a snack. (And that is how I've lost 35 lbs in 3 1/2 years - moderation and exercise, I know, the hated "e" word.)

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, Jamoche said:

https://tv.avclub.com/what-s-it-like-to-be-one-of-the-regular-people-in-tho-1798262273

Background info from someone who was in one of the Chevy ads. They lure them in with "want to do some paid market research?" and then leverage their social conditioning to not be jerks:

GOd, I want the outtakes of these commercial productions, where someone reacts to the other four people just getting all wet over the Chevys the same way Ben Wyatt reacted to Lil Sebastian. I want the one where the guy's like "I mean it's a nice truck, but it's still a Chevy, right?"

Great article. I loved how they were asking for one word reactions, so much to mine there. "What's the first thing you think of when you think of Chevy?" "Ford!" "Sheep." "Douchebag construction guys whistling at my mom when I was 11...oh sorry, one word you said...okay I guess douchebags, that's a compound word."

• LOL 7
11 hours ago, fairffaxx said:

really, really, REALLY want to see him stop smiling!  No wonder I'm never asked to participate in focus groups...

LOL, tremendous. I'm imagining you responding with completely inappropriate responses that even make your fellow participants uncomfortable. "When you see this flatbed with its adamantium lining and jigawatt power source and step in lift gate, what comes to mind, everyone?"

"The time I was date raped as a sophomore in high school. He was a senior and he had a Chevy truck, I can still remember the logo on the lift gate." [silence and stares]

Seriously I might be the worst person ever, but thank god I found this thread and had JUST seen one of these commercials. 

I saw another one this morning, I think it's for Cadillac. For some reason Serena Williams is parked in a Cadillac SUV during a rainstorm, this soft music is playing, she draws something on the inside of the window we never see, then she lowers the seat, never leaving the car at all, the car doesn't drive. It implies that she's so happy in her Cadillac, she is moved to masturbate in it. WHY ELSE WOULD SHE BE THERE? It's Serena fucking Williams, you think rain storms stop Serena Williams from getting out of her car? She's won like 240 championships. If she wants to go sit in her car and rub one out when it's raining, well I'm sorry, she's SERENA WILLIAMS. She can do whatever she wants. Maybe if YOU had a Cadillac, you'd understand that urge. I can tell you my Nissan full of soccer and karate gear and mismatched children's shoes and old food containers does NOT move me to whack it. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Or, opposite end of the spectrum, the Chevy is revealed, one person goes legitimately insane and starts humping the rear fender, followed by a woman going to the front of the grill of the truck, bending over and twerking and both of them being like "What do I think of when I think of Chevy? THat this fucking Chevy can absolutely GET THIS." 

• LOL 2
9 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I never feel that it's right to hate on kids in commercials

I agree, they are kids and probably don't have much say in what ads they are in and what they are supposed to say and do, and besides they probably don't know any better, unlike the adults in ads.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Jamoche said:

They lure them in with "want to do some paid market research?" and then leverage their social conditioning to not be jerks

The worst are the people filmed in malls for "As Shown on TV" ads who are saying a product they've just seen two seconds before changed their lives.  How stupid do they think we are? (probably pretty stupid since this crap sells). 

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:01 PM, Colleenna said:

Obviously you are not familiar with the episode of MBFFL in which Whitney proudly proclaims that she has urinated in the hot tub

You should have said "Luckily you are not familiar with the episode of MBFFL..." :)

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Kemper said:

I've commented on this odious commercial several times and I'm analyzing what is so annoying about it.  First the women is annoying in all she says and does, but I think what I hate is that it seems to be presented as an example of the ideal mother.  Bullshit!  It's one thing to spend some time playing with a child, but this is devoting a day to fantasy play with costumes and props.  The mother can't spend her non-migraine time working, doing household chores, cooking, reading a book, anything of her choice or need, but but gives up her day to running around like a fucking idiot playing a child's game.

• Love 10
14 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I never feel that it's right to hate on kids in commercials,

THen I'll bet you haven't seen the Huntington Learning Center commercials. One for boys, one for girls, with TERRIBLY directed line readings (I know, it sounds shitty to say, but watch them! they make no sense!) "I'M his bad performance!" I swear, they have some of the worst commercials ever. I love the one where the parents are sitting in the living room, unbeknownst to them, their 12 year old is on the steps behind them and they're basically saying "Well, he's a fucking idiot, I guess there's nothing we can do, just hope he doesn't go to jail for violent crimes," and the one where the kid's grandma yells at him "SAYING IT AND DOING IT ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!" THe best, though, is one where an adult woman and her older mom are apparently looking at an Ipad where some commercial THEY were in about HLC was playing. THe elder woman says "Remember when that was how we were?" THen they cut to the old commercial, ONE OF THE CHARACTERS IS MALE. What the shit HLC?!??

15 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Transgender?

I wish it were that progressive, it just seems lazy. I mean if it were the case, I would have expected something like "Yeah, you were really distracted and had trouble in school because we couldn't help you with the gender issues you were having," but then you're not talking about a learning problem.

• Love 2

We bought a new car last week. We had to have it insured before we could take it home. We've been with State Farm, bundled with home and autos for years. I ended up on the phone with our agency for over 30 minutes getting the new car added. The rep kept trying to push the most expensive coverage on us, which my husband turned down at every option. I swear, by the time we were done, I was ready to dump State Farm for Liberty Mutual.

• LOL 10
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The rep kept trying to push the most expensive coverage on us, which my husband turned down at every option.

Well, somebody has to pay for Jake's red shirt and khaki pants.

6 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

They have one decent commercial running now--the Silverado "Tailgates" ad is good stuff. The actors appear more real than the Real People

No. I think all the jaw-dropping is, indeed, jaw-droppingly inane. NOBODY reacts like that to any kind of freakin' tailgate.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

No. I think all the jaw-dropping is, indeed, jaw-droppingly inane. NOBODY reacts like that to any kind of freakin' tailgate.

I think you're thinking of a different ad. The one I'm referring to is various ages of trucks over the years, in different states, being used as tailgates should be. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

I think you're thinking of a different ad. The one I'm referring to is various ages of trucks over the years, in different states, being used as tailgates should be. 

You & Tom Holberg are correct - I've not seen the "tailgates through the years" one, but that origami one gets on my last nerve.

• Love 2

I've not seen the "tailgates through the years" one, but that origami one gets on my last nerve.

Agree that the ad is annoying but as a pickup owner I am kind of enthralled by that tailgate...beats hopping up on the gate on my butt and swinging my legs around to get into the bed! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It's no worse than the cannibal Cinnamon Toast Crunch freaks.

I've always wondered what the main component of Hoo Hash was.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
On 6/8/2019 at 1:36 PM, mmecorday said:

I was never a huge fan - he always just seemed like a wasteoid to me, and that doesn't turn me on, but I didn't hold anything specifically against him.  Then I read in a magazine a number of years ago about him getting his girlfriend (at the time - don't know if they're still together or not) pregnant.  His pearls of wisdom?  "I put a baby in her tummy".  HOW OLD ARE YOU??  THREE AND A HALF???

On 6/9/2019 at 11:53 PM, friendperidot said:

I never feel that it's right to hate on kids in commercials, but I am really annoyed by that little girl in the Morning Star food truck pushing some kind of veggie burger. "It's a plant, and if I like it and I'm a kid so if I like it..."

I try not to hate on the kids, but rather the obnoxious ad execs that think we want to see kids act like this.  I dislike that commercial for the same reason I disliked the older one for Cuties oranges that the kids were all "Cuties are for kids.  Just kids and kids only.  They're small for kids.  They peel easy for kids".  And I'm eating a Halo at home, flipping these kids the bird.  I try hard to not buy Cuties because I hated that commercial so much.  Halos, on the other hand, gave me a free game to download to my tablet - not earmarked for kids only.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4