Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

This should probably be in the song thread, but it's so annoying I have to post it here it's that irritating. The Capital One or Citi commercial for a credit card where a young woman is going to a concert and it starts raining (maybe) but the song is "Make the beat? drop drop, drop drop drop drop, make my jaw drop" and about 5,439 repetitions of the word drop sung in an atonal completely lacking appeal melodic blackhole. 

ARRRRGGHHHH! Make it stop!

Edited by Kelloggirl
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 6/23/2019 at 6:01 AM, smittykins said:

When you come down to it, the Peloton is simply...an exercise bike.  An extremely expensive one with a shit-ton  of bells and whistles, but still an exercise bike.

(I had an exercise bike in high school, and I thought mine was deluxe because it had a speedometer/odometer.  I put over 1300 miles on it and never moved an inch.)

And why are all the actors that appear in exercise commercials always already fit and toned?

The Peletron bitch with the sweat droplets falling off her nose for example. She is NOT A REAL PERSON. She's an actor who probably takes Aderall or meth to stay skinny. NOTE: I did say "probably" not "definitely"!😁

• LOL 9
10 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

And why are all the actors that appear in exercise commercials always already fit and toned?

Because if they are not, you will at least subconsciously think it doesn't work and not buy it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
28 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Because if they are not, you will at least subconsciously think it doesn't work and not buy it.

That's how I've always felt about diet sodas - you only ever see fat people (or diabetics) drinking them, so they must not work.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:12 AM, Ubiquitous said:

While watching the Space: 1999 marathon on CometTV via my computer earlier this month, they played these obnoxious commercials featuring that fat "car karaoke" guy with a blond chick shilling some sort of makeup remover at least once. Every. Single. Commercial. Break!

(Like I dislike him enough already...) 

I think they're promos for a tv show.  I get bombarded by them on Hulu.  Won't be watching.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

Well maybe they should hire a larger actor who allegedly is the "before" version of the skinny/toned Peletron user.

I'm sure there are hundreds of Peletron purchasers who are now using that expensive exercise bike to throw their clothes on. It's NOT just an exercise bike! NO. It's a clothes hanger AND an exercise bike 😁

• LOL 7

There is a chain of tanning salons in California called "California Sun".  Their ads consist of pretty people running around bronzed, while the words "California Sun" are sung, over and over and over again.  I have to wonder how much the lyricist got paid for the insightful lyrics.

• LOL 1

There is a chain of tanning salons in California called "California Sun".  Their ads consist of pretty people running around bronzed, while the words "California Sun" are sung, over and over and over again.  I have to wonder how much the lyricist got paid for the insightful lyrics.

Maybe Rose Nylund wrote the lyrics. After all, she did write the fight song for the high school she attended in St. Olaf: "Onward, St Olaf, Onward we go! / Onward and onward St Olaf, go! / Go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go ..."

• LOL 16
  • Love 1
On 6/22/2019 at 10:56 AM, ctlady said:

Hate to beat a dead horse about the Pelaton commercials, but does every Pelaton owner have no other place in their home to put their machine except in front of a curtainless window?

I think if I had the window in that high rise, I might actually feel inspired to use that bike!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The State Farm "Don't mess with my discount!" ad is terrible.  It just makes the woman look like a lunatic over a measly discount.

I have State Farm, and I have that discount. And  . . . that's not how it works. Basically, they give you a very small discount if you drive less than x miles per day/week (I can't remember). You carry a little beacon in your car and it allegedly lets State Farm know what your mileage is, I guess. Either than or they're just keeping track of you. BUT. Every couple of months I have to update the app on my phone by taking a picture of the odometer. So I think they only keep track of your mileage per quarter and if it falls within that mileage frame.

In other words, a short-cut to the hospital won't cost you the discount, nor would stopping to pee.

• Useful 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I have State Farm, and I have that discount. And  . . . that's not how it works. Basically, they give you a very small discount if you drive less than x miles per day/week (I can't remember). You carry a little beacon in your car and it allegedly lets State Farm know what your mileage is, I guess. Either than or they're just keeping track of you. BUT. Every couple of months I have to update the app on my phone by taking a picture of the odometer. So I think they only keep track of your mileage per quarter and if it falls within that mileage frame.

In other words, a short-cut to the hospital won't cost you the discount, nor would stopping to pee.

They have a low-mileage discount and they have safe driver discount. Sounds like you have the former, and the woman in the commercial has the latter.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

They have a low-mileage discount and they have safe driver discount. Sounds like you have the former, and the woman in the commercial has the latter.

Hmmm, maybe I should look into State Farm. I have a 9 year old car I bought brand new and I just broke the 10k mile mark. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Well maybe they should hire a larger actor who allegedly is the "before" version of the skinny/toned Peletron user.

I'm sure there are hundreds of Peletron purchasers who are now using that expensive exercise bike to throw their clothes on. It's NOT just an exercise bike! NO. It's a clothes hanger AND an exercise bike 😁

My late husband had a Soloflex(remember them?).  We were together about ten years total, and I never saw him use it.  It became a clothes hanger AND a cat perch. 😛

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, smittykins said:

My late husband had a Soloflex(remember them?).  We were together about ten years total, and I never saw him use it.  It became a clothes hanger AND a cat perch. 😛

It's not just a dessert topping, It's a floor wax!

• LOL 15
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That's how I've always felt about diet sodas - you only ever see fat people (or diabetics) drinking them, so they must not work.

When I worked in fast food we'd get people coming in and ordering the double patty burger, large fries, and 32 ounce DIET coke, like they thought it was going to suck all the calories out of the food items. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

When I worked in fast food we'd get people coming in and ordering the double patty burger, large fries, and 32 ounce DIET coke, like they thought it was going to suck all the calories out of the food items. 

I once read that drinking diet soda to lose weight was like emptying the ash trays to make the car lighter. (remember when cars actually had ash trays?)

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I once read that drinking diet soda to lose weight was like emptying the ash trays to make the car lighter. (remember when cars actually had ash trays?)

What do people put their change in then?

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

The space taken up by the ash trays is now space taken up by "coin holders."  ...without lids, so anyone looking into your car can see the change. We've had too many idle teens break into cars to get a few coins lately. I wish we had ash trays with lids again.  LOL.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The space taken up by the ash trays is now space taken up by "coin holders."  ...without lids, so anyone looking into your car can see the change. We've had too many idle teens break into cars to get a few coins lately. I wish we had ash trays with lids again.  LOL.

That seems like a huge design flaw.  Maybe you could cover them with a towel or something.

• LOL 3
22 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Just how many coins are you keeping in your car to entice people to steal them? :-D

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The Chase Bank commercial with the little girl dancing and the “5,6,7,8” is on at least a hundred times a day! Plus at the end it looks like she is dancing at a large concert hall and the judges are sitting in the middle of the stage.

The way she is dancing would not win any trophies ( I’m cranky today).

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

The Chase Bank commercial with the little girl dancing and the “5,6,7,8” is on at least a hundred times a day! Plus at the end it looks like she is dancing at a large concert hall and the judges are sitting in the middle of the stage.

The way she is dancing would not win any trophies ( I’m cranky today).

I angry-posted about this in the 'Annoying Children in Commercials' thread.  There's spunky and confident and then there's this annoying little urchin.  And the little shimmy she does on the podium at the end makes me want to push her off.  How about teaching your kids to win gracefully instead of fist bump-finger flying them, parents??

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:30 AM, Katy M said:

They're more like 'skinny-fat' to me.  At least I think the women are.  They have absolutely no visible muscle tone and flat butts (yeah, mean, but I'm in a mood)  Please show me actors who look like they have some additional pounds to shed instead of making me think I'll magically look like these skinny-flab chicks as soon as my session is done while overlooking the snowy mountains from my multi-story villa

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, margol29 said:

The Johsonville Brat commercial with the doofy lady singing in the park with lady liberty. I can't hit the mute button fast enough!!

Is that one back?  Ugh.  It didn't bother me at first - it was kitschy enough to not annoy me, but eventually it crawled under my skin.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Just how many coins are you keeping in your car to entice people to steal them? 😄

Personally, I keep quarters in a black "change purse" in a dark niche under the dashboard. The rest of my change goes in a bud vase in the house for the cats' allowance. I use it to buy 'nip for them.  It's other folks leaving out change in plain view...and for some folk, the amount doesn't matter; the fact that it's free money is all they need,

• Love 6
1 hour ago, margol29 said:

The Johsonville Brat commercial with the doofy lady singing in the park with lady liberty. I can't hit the mute button fast enough!!

Oh no, I can't believe they brought her back; that woman is unbearable.  Hopefully this is just something they're doing around 4th of July, and she'll be gone again soon - and hopefully I won't hear her during that time, because just having that godsawful "Johnsonville Brats are made in the U.S.A." aural assault she calls a song pop into my memory upon reading your post is making me stabby.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

What is it with the stupid mom trope? The lady who thinks her son's band should add tuba to their rock and roll? Nobody is that much of an idiot.

That woman reminds me of Lorraine from MADtv.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 6/25/2019 at 6:18 PM, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

No. It's because sugar is evil, dontcha know. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, elle said:

That song from the Infiniti ad has its own page.  I normally don't mind twangy music, but something about this one is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Me too.  This, and the one that's used on one of those wildlife rescue commercials that keeps repeating "Let her go".  The voice annoys me as well.

• Love 1
On 6/12/2019 at 4:21 PM, Aryanna said:

I have State Farm and I bought a car a couple of yeas ago and all I had to do was show the dealer my current insurance and they let me take it. My agent even told me that my insurance covers me anytime I buy a new car but that I still need to give them all the info on the car after I've bought it so that they can get all the coverage correct.

Last time I bought a new car (2 years ago), I called my agent from the car dealership, read her the VIN, told her which car I had traded in, and that was that. Five minutes --- or less. I've had the same State Farm agent for 34 years. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

And we get on/off a bus, but we get in/out of a car. Ah, the English language.... it's so much fun. 

Unless we are police officers, who observe an individual exiting a vehicle. 

• LOL 15
  • Love 2
On 6/27/2019 at 11:09 PM, elle said:

That song from the Infiniti ad has its own page.  I normally don't mind twangy music, but something about this one is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

I don’t really feel one way or the other about the song. But what bugs the heck out of me is when they are at the beach and she’s running away from the car taking her top off and she just leaves the door open.  Does she want a dead battery? 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

I hate hate hate, with an irrational hatred, the Subaru ad with the heavily pregnant woman who takes her unborn child to the ocean and the forest. "This is the ocean..." The baby can't see or smell the surf, and it's extremely unlikely that it can hear it, either. Forest: "Just listen." Duh. 

• Love 11
14 hours ago, tanyak said:

I don’t really feel one way or the other about the song. But what bugs the heck out of me is when they are at the beach and she’s running away from the car taking her top off and she just leaves the door open.  Does she want a dead battery? 

Hee! My husband was concerned about the possibility of theft of items in car or the car itself. Just because it looks like no one else is around doesn't mean some one could not walk up while they are swimming in the surf.

• LOL 6
On 6/24/2019 at 3:00 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

Enough with the car ads that show "real people" saying good things about a product. Why should I care if these strangers like it? Assuming they actually do, since we're clearly not hearing everything they said. One ad ends with somebody saying that the designer deserves a cookie and a star; was that a nice way for her to say it looked like it was designed by a child?

Oh, the goddamn cookie and the star! LOL. I wrote a review of that ad recently. Holy cow, you aren't kidding. So bad.

If you don't already know how these commercials are made, the people in them really are people off the street. They're approached by young folks with clipboards and asked if they would like to participate in "market research" for $200. So they're paid, which means that once they find out the job is to ooh and ahh over Chevy vehicles on camera, that's exactly what happens -- along with the incredibly stupid blurtations you hear in the ads.

I agree with you, it's time for these ads to go!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I don’t know how long this commercial has been on, but I saw it for the first time last night and my eyes 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 so HARD. It’s called the...Fluidity Bar I think, and it’s a miracle! Helps women lose weight so FAST!!! Thing looks like a stupid bar you just hold onto and you lift your legs. Like any sane person can’t do the same thing against a wall or chair!

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don’t know how long this commercial has been on, but I saw it for the first time last night and my eyes 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 so HARD. It’s called the...Fluidity Bar I think,

Fluidity Barre - it's for barre exercises.  And, yes, you can use things you already have around the house as support, but if you're really into it, I have to say this looks like an easier thing to make room for and set up than installing a traditional barre (because how many people have a room or even portion of a room they want to turn into a dance studio)?  I won't be ordering one while watching late-night TV, mind you, but it's not the worst exercise equipment I've seen advertised.

For a while now, I've been reading here about Cheryl and her She Shed and had no idea what y'all were talking about. All of a sudden, she's on my TV non-stop, talking to Zachary at State Farm. NOW I see why everybody hated her and her freakin' ChiChi-er She Shed. Enough already.

• LOL 8
  • Love 8

Bar Louie’s “Restaurants Bite” ad campaign is extremely irritating. One radio ad has a guy talking about how he and his friends are at a restaurant laughing very loudly (“the kind of belly laughs that make whiskey fly out of your nose”) and sounding like they’re being obnoxious. He goes on to say that a manger comes over to ask them to keep it down and “as the laughs stop and the smiles fade, I realized, restaurants bite.” So y’all are upset that your behavior was likely disrupting other patrons and the manager preferred to asking your group to shut the hell up rather than deal with multiple angry customers? But hey, at Bar Louie, you’re free to act obnoxious and loud and they’ll just turn the music up to a level where nobody can hear themselves talk like they’re at a nightclub.

Another is the guy whining about how chain restaurants give you the pager thingy to tell you when your table is ready and apparently, his lack of planning (1. Having to wait 20 minutes for a table and 2. Waiting to go out when you’re famished and now getting all hangry) means “restaurants bite.” Clearly, douchebag never went to Bar Louie on a Tuesday night when they have the half-price burgers. Your ass is gonna be waiting a while for a seat if you didn’t get there early enough. Also, Bar Louie is a chain restaurant so who exactly at they looking down upon?

A third one is the same guy is at some restaurant with artisanal foods with fancy terms and doesn’t serve bar (oh, I’m sorry, “gastropub”) fare prepped at a central location and shipped out  frozen to all locations nationwide to ensure consistency across the board so it can be reheated and served to you means “restaurants bite.”

I fail to see what Bar Louie is trying to get at here. Are they berating restaurants for having quality food standards, being organized, and ensuring all customers can enjoy themselves and the ambiance without being disrupted by loud assholes?

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Automne said:

Bar Louie’s “Restaurants Bite” ad campaign is extremely irritating. One radio ad has a guy talking about how he and his friends are at a restaurant laughing very loudly (“the kind of belly laughs that make whiskey fly out of your nose”) and sounding like they’re being obnoxious. He goes on to say that a manger comes over to ask them to keep it down and “as the laughs stop and the smiles fade, I realized, restaurants bite.” So y’all are upset that your behavior was likely disrupting other patrons and the manager preferred to asking your group to shut the hell up rather than deal with multiple angry customers? But hey, at Bar Louie, you’re free to act obnoxious and loud and they’ll just turn the music up to a level where nobody can hear themselves talk like they’re at a nightclub.

If this guy thinks "restaurants bite" then he could always stay home and cook for himself.  Problem solved!

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
54 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

If this guy thinks "restaurants bite" then he could always stay home and cook for himself.  Problem solved!

More likely a guy like that would live with his mother and expect her to cook for him.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Automne said:

I fail to see what Bar Louie is trying to get at here. Are they berating restaurants for having quality food standards, being organized, and ensuring all customers can enjoy themselves and the ambiance without being disrupted by loud assholes?

They are providing a valuable service for humanity!  They are letting all the people who behave like moronic loud assholes in restaurants know that there is a special place just for them.  Bar Louie will allow them to be themselves.  And in the meantime, the normal restaurants will be available for the rest of us to patronize, sans douchebags.

• Love 20
18 hours ago, Automne said:

Another is the guy whining about how chain restaurants give you the pager thingy to tell you when your table is ready and apparently, his lack of planning (1. Having to wait 20 minutes for a table and 2. Waiting to go out when you’re famished and now getting all hangry) means “restaurants bite.” Clearly, douchebag never went to Bar Louie on a Tuesday night when they have the half-price burgers. Your ass is gonna be waiting a while for a seat if you didn’t get there early enough. Also, Bar Louie is a chain restaurant so who exactly at they looking down upon?

A third one is the same guy is at some restaurant with artisanal foods with fancy terms and doesn’t serve bar (oh, I’m sorry, “gastropub”) fare prepped at a central location and shipped out  frozen to all locations nationwide to ensure consistency across the board so it can be reheated and served to you means “restaurants bite.”

I've never seen been to a Bar Louie (there's one in the mall, which might as well be in the seventh circle of hell for me). I've never seen a Bar Louie commercial. But fuck, do I hate them now, based entirely on your post. Outstanding. 

• Love 12

Similar vein to this terrible sounding Bar Louie place, I have Dave and Buster's commercials (and establishments, but YMMV, to me they're just a cleaner more expensive Chuck E. Cheese). Whatever they're advertising, whatever specials they have on this month, the commercials all feature a gaggle of adults laughing and smiling like literal fucking maniacs. No one has ever had that much fun doing anything. I like to imagine the voiceover and music removed, and some scary music laid in over their genuine laughter, that commercial would be fucking terrifying. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 6