Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 5/28/2023 at 8:38 AM, marceline said:

I'm amazed that we're still seeing pandemic era, zoom/facetime style commercials. I don't understand why these companies haven't updated but even when some of them produce new ones they still use the old style. *waves to Lume*

Ohhh, I HATE that! HATE IT!

On 5/28/2023 at 8:38 AM, marceline said:

My new most hated commercial is "Betty the Barcode Beat Conductor" for Zyrtec. Does Zyrtec also contain cocaine? Because that's the vibe I get.

I don't mind Beat Conductor Betty, but I've seen that commercial so many times that whenever I hear that beep in this other commercial, I expect to hear the opening bars of Funkytown! :-D

Edited by Gharlane
  • Like 5
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

Remember the one where some medical types were in an OR and some machine was beeping and they all started singing Tainted Love?

I'd forgotten all about that, but yep:

I love the ending.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 5
  • LOL 4
(edited)
On 5/29/2023 at 12:22 AM, andromeda331 said:

The prescription commercials that can't just tell you how many injections or infusion a year you need. It's either 4 plus 2 start doses, 2 plus two starter doses, and 6 plus 2 starter doses. Just say 6, 4, or 8. Although the 6 and 8 ones hardly sound convenient especially if you have to go to the hospital or doctor's office to get them. 

It's not the advertisers or pharma companies that decide how to convey wording about dosage; it's basically the rules -- they can't just tell you because they literally can't. Like any therapy, I suppose people decide if it's convenient based on how inconvenient their illness is without the treatment (if it's an infusion, for example, a person can't really do it at home, and there are only so many infusion facilities throughout the country). That said, I am sure that this info doesn't make it less annoying. It's all boring and annoying and sometimes even enraging to read.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
  • Useful 3
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

It's not the advertisers or pharma companies that decide how to convey wording about dosage; it's basically the rules -- they can't just tell you because they literally can't. Like any therapy, I suppose people decide if it's convenient based on how inconvenient their illness is without the treatment (if it's an infusion, for example, a person can't really do it at home, and there are only so many infusion facilities throughout the country). That said, I am sure that this info doesn't make it less annoying. It's all boring and annoying and sometimes even enraging to read.

This whole double speak carp the rx companies have to go through is just one more reason that I  think they should not be advertising to the general public at all. Advertise to doctors directly, but not to the public that really doesn't know anything about interactions or their individual needs.

• Like 7
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

That's why there are 2 different sets of copy. The commercials we see (as well as the safety info) are the "dumbed down" (for lack of a nicer phrase) version for patients/civilians. There's other copy for HCPs and insurance people. People need to be allowed to be aware of what medicines do, even if they don't always understand it (and plenty of people understand it; it's literally created on a grammar school level. Plus, the ISIs repeatedly mention asking your doctor about what you don't know).

ETA: I am not discounting the annoyances, I swear! Just explaining why they rear their ugly heads so often and so consistently!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
On 5/9/2023 at 8:55 AM, TattleTeeny said:

I think this song (which I despise for some random reason) has been sampled about a bazillion times -- including, I think, a Mariah Carey one. I remember hearing that  playing on the all-day office music at an old job -- and I hated that one too, haha! I think I often don't like "boops"?

I love "Genius of Love!" It was a hit back in the day, at least we teens in NY thought it was. We loved that bass line, and all the disco and reggae references in the song. Hearing it in the Home Goods ad only makes me want to listen to the whole song, not shop at their store.

Yes, Mariah Carey sampled it for "Fantasy," which is one of the few songs I like by her, because of that sample.

Now, ABC is using her song to advertise the new season of The Bachelorette, which I have no interest in watching. I may soon dislike her version if I see that ad too many times...which I probably will.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, AgathaC said:

I’m beginning to suspect it will take surgical intervention to remove that damned “My Way” Cologuard commercial from my brain.

Every time I see it, I think of the Woody Harrelson skit the last time he hosted SNL where the boxes were on his porch demanding he poop into them.  Turns out he was stoned.  It was very funny.  The commercial?  Annoying as hell.

• Like 6
On 5/30/2023 at 1:07 PM, TattleTeeny said:

That's why there are 2 different sets of copy. The commercials we see (as well as the safety info) are the "dumbed down" (for lack of a nicer phrase) version for patients/civilians. There's other copy for HCPs and insurance people. People need to be allowed to be aware of what medicines do, even if they don't always understand it (and plenty of people understand it; it's literally created on a grammar school level. Plus, the ISIs repeatedly mention asking your doctor about what you don't know).

ETA: I am not discounting the annoyances, I swear! Just explaining why they rear their ugly heads so often and so consistently!

Ages ago I interviewed for a job where I would be editing and producing those pharmaceutical inserts. You are reminding me how grateful I am to not have gotten it.

I remember when pharma companies got the right to advertise directly to consumers. I thought it would be no big deal. I was so wrong. I wish there was a way to put that genie back in the bottle.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2

The VW commercial where the dad jumps in and out of the car just to make his wacky daughter laugh, just bugs the crap out of me. It’s just so stupid because of how the car sounds when he sits his fat ass down on the seat. And the kid’s giggle drives me nuts. 

Then you have the commercial for Old Navy.  The kid that lassos the giant (fake)saguaro cactus and tries to pull it down is just stupid.  All we need is a kid trying to yank down a huge cactus, that could weigh upwards of 2000lbs, only to get killed.  Not only that, but it’s illegal to harm one of those cacti in any way, and if you’re caught, the fines are huge. My parents built a house outside of Scottsdale and they had to remove 3 cacti.  You had to do so much paperwork to get approval to remove and replant them.  Commercial ad companies are so ignorant. 

• Like 6
  • Fire 2
  • Useful 1

The current bane of my TV watching existence: Pooph. Possibly even worse than Lume. I risk spraining my hand diving for the remote whenever it comes on. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 1

The current bane of my TV watching existence: Pooph. Possibly even worse than Lume. I risk spraining my hand diving for the remote whenever it comes on. 

You took the words right out of my mouth. I hate this commercial. Especially when he sprays the product in his mouth. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
16 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

You took the words right out of my mouth. I hate this commercial. Especially when he sprays the product in his mouth. 

I can't watch it at all. Like DXD546, I just about break my hand grabbing for the remote. And when he talks about all the different kinds of odors? 🤮

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

As a chemist, I'm intrigued by what is in Pooph, so I looked it up. It doesn't contain anything toxic and has good reviews. 

The active ingredients in the Pooph Odor Eliminator include baking soda, citric acid, sodium bicarbonate, and tea tree oil. Baking soda works to neutralize odor molecules in the air while citric acid helps to break down odors on surfaces. Sodium bicarbonate acts as an absorbent which draws out odors from fabrics and carpets while also releasing a pleasant scent. Tea tree oil is used as an antibacterial agent that helps to prevent future odors from developing.

I just ordered some.

• Like 5
Just now, mmecorday said:

It's probably a good product, but the guy in the commercial is obnoxious. 

The white part of his beard is odd. He also does a commercial for the laundry detergent that is a sheet you throw in the washer - I recognized his beard.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
18 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Oh gawd, is that commercial back? 😱

• Like 2

As much as I despise and detest the omnipresent Morgan & Morgan (personal injury attorneys, for those blessed not to know), I think that possibly they have taken an interesting step.  They are going after Tepezza (the obnoxious ads for “thyroid eye disease”) because of hearing loss that may be associated with the drug.  So it’s the battle of the revolting titans - direct to consumer drug ads vs “it’s a good day to sue somebody” ads.  The fallout might remotely reduce the number of horrible commercials - yeah, I know, I’m living in a dream world!  I just saw the anti-Tepezza ad for the first time!

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

It's probably a good product, but the guy in the commercial is obnoxious. 

He's one of those old-timey-type pitchmen who have to shout everything.  They all are annoying.

1 hour ago, OldStandard said:

As much as I despise and detest the omnipresent Morgan & Morgan (personal injury attorneys, for those blessed not to know), I think that possibly they have taken an interesting step.  They are going after Tepezza (the obnoxious ads for “thyroid eye disease”) because of hearing loss that may be associated with the drug.  So it’s the battle of the revolting titans - direct to consumer drug ads vs “it’s a good day to sue somebody” ads.  The fallout might remotely reduce the number of horrible commercials - yeah, I know, I’m living in a dream world!  I just saw the anti-Tepezza ad for the first time!

I still think the law firms fund the drug companies so they can later sue them.  A big circle jerk.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 5
4 hours ago, OldStandard said:

I honestly thought I'd be rid of their commercials when I moved from Central Florida to Ohio.

Nope nope nope.

• Like 4
On 3/15/2023 at 8:53 PM, shlbycindyk said:

This might be just a local commercial but it's driving me crazy.  I think the name of the company is We Buy Any Cars.  It starts with a bunch of men singing out "We Buy Any Cars" three times in a row.  Then they screech that out again and again.  It always seems a little louder than the other ones too and I can't reach for the mute button on my remote fast enough.  I get it.  You'll buy any car.  Now shut up!  Our local stations have it on during every commercial break too. 

Where do you live? I live in Milwaukee, and I think I've seen these commercials.

2 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

It used to be Shaq, but now I'm sick of Pete Davidson.  I never got what his appeal is. Also Kevin Hart yelling in every one of his 20 commercials.  I know that's his "thing" but it's obnoxious not entertaining.

Pete looks like a meth addict. I can't believe any company wants him as their spokesperson. I like KH, but not his commercials. 

We mute all commercials all the time, but some are still obnoxious to even look at. Pete D's, those stoopid Jennifer Coolidge sticky makeup commercials, gah.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

It used to be Shaq, but now I'm sick of Pete Davidson.  I never got what his appeal is. Also Kevin Hart yelling in every one of his 20 commercials.  I know that's his "thing" but it's obnoxious not entertaining.

Just came here to see if anyone else canr stand Kevin Hart... loudmouth idiot !!!!

1 minute ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Just came here to see if anyone else canr stand Kevin Hart... loudmouth idiot !!!!

*can't stand, I mean... no more edit option?

• Like 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

It’s going to be a long summer if I have to keep watching the Sunglass Hut commercial. The hoity toity millennial lady looking for about 20 different glasses in 20 different brands is getting on my last nerve. 

I haven't seen that ad but uh oh that could be me. 🙁

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

It’s going to be a long summer if I have to keep watching the Sunglass Hut commercial. The hoity toity millennial lady looking for about 20 different glasses in 20 different brands is getting on my last nerve.

Boy howdy -- I just saw that for the first time last night and I already despise her.

• Like 3

Paycom is going to cause my head to explode.  "Why would you want to do your own payroll?"  "Maybe because I want to be paid correctly?"

THAT'S WHAT YOUR COMPANY PAYROLL DEPARTMENT DOES - PAY YOU CORRECTLY!

Sorry for yelling, but seriously, if your company can't hire competent payroll people, I think your company is in trouble and I'd try to find another job, instead of forcing you to do your job, AND their job.  

It's like self check-out - I don't work for your store.  Hire someone to do the job, or give me the employee discount. 

Rant over.

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

Some workplaces don't HAVE payroll departments. Do you think the mom and pop bodega on the corner does? Does your veterinarian?  How about the independent mechanic?  Sometimes it's more cost effective to farm it out. I know my vet uses a payroll service. If she had to hire someone to do payroll, with all the associated costs mandated by government, she'd have to raise the prices of caring for the pets, and she'd rather not do that because of the people who would just euthanize the pet rather than spend a lot of money caring for it. She keeps costs low so people can afford medical care for their furkids.

• Like 5
  • Useful 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Some workplaces don't HAVE payroll departments. Do you think the mom and pop bodega on the corner does? Does your veterinarian?  How about the independent mechanic?  Sometimes it's more cost effective to farm it out. I know my vet uses a payroll service. If she had to hire someone to do payroll, with all the associated costs mandated by government, she'd have to raise the prices of caring for the pets, and she'd rather not do that because of the people who would just euthanize the pet rather than spend a lot of money caring for it. She keeps costs low so people can afford medical care for their furkids.

Farming it out to a payroll service is great.  This commercial is touting a service where the employee does his/her/their own payroll.  Which, to my mind, it nuts.  Just one more thing for the employee to do that I'm sure they're not compensated for.

If I'm misinterpreting how this works, I'm sorry for the rant, but the commercial makes it seem like the employer can't manage to pay their own employees correctly, so they do it themselves.  No thanks.

Edited by ebk57
  • Like 5

I think it's the same thing as people doing their own taxes.  Like all the companies that provide the software for taxpayers to use instead of hiring a tax preparer or CPA.

I haven't seen the commercial though so I don't know how stupid it is.  Stupid like the woman who goes into the office bragging about how she gets paid two days early!

• Like 4
Just now, CrystalBlue said:

I think it's the same thing as people doing their own taxes.  Like all the companies that provide the software for taxpayers to use instead of hiring a tax preparer or CPA.

I haven't seen the commercial though so I don't know how stupid it is.  Stupid like the woman who goes into the office bragging about how she gets paid two days early!

I hate that commercial because they sell it like Chime is the only place that does that. Literally every bank in the world has direct deposit.

• Like 7

I forget the life insurance company the lady is shilling for but I remember her line, "so I Googled 'life insurance' and company X popped up!  I just clicked on it!" 

Pro tip:  deciding to go with a company because they were the first internet search result is...ill-advised.  

• Like 7
  • Fire 3
  • LOL 5
On 6/3/2023 at 12:17 PM, CrystalBlue said:

God that lady is so annoying and it's up to your employer not your bank or Chime or whatever if you get paid two days early. Half the places I worked was two days early and the other half wasn't.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I don't know if this is a sign of the end of civilization, but they've brought back Sham Wow (now called Sham Pow).  I think they same guy's doing the commercial.

The guy that got beat up by a hooker?

On February 7, 2009, Offer and a 26-year-old prostitute were both arrested in Miami Beach, Florida, after a physical altercation. The police report stated that the woman had bitten onto Offer's tongue and refused to let go, at which point Offer began beating her and left her with lacerations and fractures.Police later released photos of the bloodied Offer, hotel room, and the battered woman. Prosecutors later declined to file formal charges against either person. When Offer later spoke of the arrest, he stated, "It probably saved my life.

• Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 1
(edited)

I have not seen the payroll commercial, but it makes no sense.  I use a payroll service for my one part-time employee.  It's set up so I email them the hours he worked each week, and they draw a check (or direct deposit) from my business account to the employee.  They also pay themselves their own administrative fees and they send my taxes owed to the respective agencies: IRS for payroll and withholding, NYS withholding, premiums for disability and unemployment.  How could the employee do that?  The employee will not calculate those things and the employee can not have any access to my bank account.  They file quarterly tax returns for me.  Whatever small amount I pay in administrative fees is worth it!

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 6
On 6/2/2023 at 10:46 AM, mmecorday said:

I can take her in small doses, but those booking.com commercials bite. I feel like I'm watching clips from "Carrot Top: The Musical." 

I just want Idris Elba back.

On 6/3/2023 at 12:41 PM, ebk57 said:

This commercial is touting a service where the employee does his/her/their own payroll.  Which, to my mind, it nuts.  Just one more thing for the employee to do that I'm sure they're not compensated for.

Where I work, we enter our own timesheets into the computer.  You'd think that would make us very careful about what we enter, but you would be wrong.  Fortunately the payroll department does go over what we enter.

On 6/3/2023 at 2:20 PM, peacheslatour said:

I hate that commercial because they sell it like Chime is the only place that does that. Literally every bank in the world has direct deposit.

I hate it because it implies that all employers will deposit the money into the employee's account early when in actuality it varies greatly.  My employer does not do that even though it does require that we have direct deposit.  We get paid early only when a federal holiday falls on a payday Friday when the banks are closed.  So only when July 4th, Christmas and New Year's Day fall on payday.  (Maybe Veteran's Day and Juneteenth but I'm not sure banks close for those.)

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

I just want Idris Elba back.

Where I work, we enter our own timesheets into the computer.  You'd think that would make us very careful about what we enter, but you would be wrong.  Fortunately the payroll department does go over what we enter.

I hate it because it implies that all employers will deposit the money into the employee's account early when in actuality it varies greatly.  My employer does not do that even though it does require that we have direct deposit.  We get paid early only when a federal holiday falls on a payday Friday when the banks are closed.  So only when July 4th, Christmas and New Year's Day fall on payday.  (Maybe Veteran's Day and Juneteenth but I'm not sure banks close for those.)

My employee does a paper time sheet.  I probably could set up a place where he'd enter his time directly into the Paychex system, but then I'd have to verify it before I authorized payment. 

• Like 3
(edited)

Okay, now I've watched the Paycom commercial.  It's completely misleading.  The employees are not "doing payroll."  They are entering their own hours worked and expenses if incurred.  Like they're punching a time clock.  Employer will still have to verify. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

I don't understand those pay-early systems.  Who is paying for that?  Chime seems to be a bank, and if you sign up for an account with direct deposit they agree to give you your money two days early.    I can't imagine the employer is releasing the money earlier than it is due.  How do these work?  This would only work for full time employees.

With my part-time employee, the pay day and number of hours vary each week, depending on his schedule.  When he finishes a week, I email in the hours, and he gets his direct deposit the next day. 

Just now, EtheltoTillie said:

I don't understand those pay-early systems.  Who is paying for that?  Chime seems to be a bank, and if you sign up for an account with direct deposit they agree to give you your money two days early.    I can't imagine the employer is releasing the money earlier than it is due.  How do these work?  This would only work for full time employees.

With my part-time employee, the pay day and number of hours vary each week, depending on his schedule.  When he finishes a week, I email in the hours, and he gets his direct deposit the next day. 

At my last job, I did payroll on every other Tues. and the employees got their checks on Thurs. If they opted for Direct Deposit, they got it the same day I did payroll.

• Like 2