Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 7/21/2022 at 8:32 AM, ctlady said:

Just about every social media platform has some level of snoopiness ( did a search on propagating tomato suckers, and suddenly emails for seeds, gardening, etc started popping up), but as for TT- this!  Make some fun and addicting and ‘ everybody’s doing it’ and people won’t care about what’s really going on behind the scenes 

I can’t handle the extreme closeups of Dr K and her constant use of the word ‘odor’ - it even sounds like a smelly word!  In a world of deodorant, foot spray and ‘intimate wipes/wash, what is so stupendous about Lume that works better?

Me too! The overuse of the word 'odor' makes me feel like I smell, even when I am fresh out of the shower. I am wondering if Lume is special because it lasts through washing? Like you will still have its effects even after washing? Otherwise, a big NO buzzer on people who don't wash up every 72 hours, and just want to take care of it with deodorant.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
On 7/21/2022 at 1:52 AM, Gramto6 said:

Just saw what I guess is the latest Lume commeriisl.. Back to the gross stuff.... " you shower and you feel clean...use Lume  and your butt  won't "smell " for a couple of days.. Mygad! these are just so stupid...any one take a shower today?? These are the grossest commercials  ever!!

yeah, so if you do any of those things that would make your butt smell, somehow this will prevent it from stinking for 2 days - how could that be?

right

• Like 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

Perdue’s “[we’re] hungry for better-tasting chicken” tagline seems kind of counterproductive for an entity that is trying to sell its chicken.

ETA: The name "Raw" for a condom is terrible and makes me cringe. Sounds gross, for one thing, and also makes me think of chafing!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 7/16/2022 at 9:30 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

OK, Lending Tree, you can stop the Linda Richman-wannabe ads now. It was amusing the first 350 time I saw it, but you're in overkill territory now.

I have no idea who Linda Richman is, but I can say that the Lending Tree ad set in a diner makes me want to tear my head off.  I always mute commercials but for some reason this one always sneaks in. Why would anyone think this would make someone spend money on their product?

• Applause 1
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, Leeds said:

Why would anyone think this would make someone spend money on their product?

It's the lenders that pay. The people seeking a loan don't pay. I got a super deal on a home equity line of credit by using Lending Tree. I didn't pay a thing to Lending Tree.

• Useful 2

The Lending Tree commercial (in the diner) is an assault on the senses. Isn’t one of the actresses Nora Something? Used to be on SNL. The idea was a pretty good one. The final product…terrible. Remote grabbing, stomach churning terrible.

• Applause 2
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, Kemper said:

The Lending Tree commercial (in the diner) is an assault on the senses. Isn’t one of the actresses Nora Something? Used to be on SNL.

You may be thinking of Nora Dunn, but it's Molly Shannon in that commercial.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

I wasn't sure where to discuss this commercial, but it's more annoying than puzzling. There's a commercial form Comcast that begins with a couple on a gondola, presumably for romantic reasons, and there's this woman on the other side of the boat (why?) whose first words from her mouth is something like "Girl, you can do better than him!", which makes me immediately hate her. Anyhow, it turns out she's talking about their smartie phone Internet plan but she gets in another dig at the end at the man. Bitch! 😡

• Love 1
On 7/24/2022 at 4:24 PM, Kemper said:

The Lending Tree commercial (in the diner) is an assault on the senses. Isn’t one of the actresses Nora Something? Used to be on SNL. The idea was a pretty good one. The final product…terrible. Remote grabbing, stomach churning terrible.

On 7/24/2022 at 4:35 PM, Bastet said:

You may be thinking of Nora Dunn, but it's Molly Shannon in that commercial.

I must admit that I didn't find it as annoying as some people - probably because MS keeps it from being so.  I actually chuckle everytime it comes on and the different versions that contain words that rhyme with 'lender'

And if the Lume commercials don't shame women into a closet while watching in mixed company (really - why isn't this a unisex product - men have crotches, pits and buttcracks too?), then the Thinx commercials will do it.  Gone is suggestive marketing (think the razor/trimmer ads with different shaped topiaries covering bikini clad lady parts).  Now were pouring blood-colored liquid into panty crotches to show the miraculous absorption or ladies getting up from the couch or rolling over in bed leaving a blobby bloodstain behind.  SERIOUSLY??  Do we really need to see the gross oooopsies of menstruation? 

• Applause 6
  • Love 4
(edited)

What about the one for (some brand I can't remember) 'period panties' where the cool older sister throws a pair to her little sis to help her get over the trauma of having mom demonstrate how to use a tampon. I always wonder when I see ads for these panties, who gets to wash these blood-soaked things and do you put them in with the rest of the wash or what? Ugh.

Also ugh: the ad for (some medication I can't remember) where the woman travels around on A TOILET.

Edited by sempervivum
hit the wrong button
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Love 2

Also ugh: the ad for (some medication I can't remember) where the woman travels around on A TOILET.

I saw that ad the other day! In the end she's driving a car and she looks at the backseat and the toilet is sitting there. I guess this means the drug has helped her put her pooping problems in the rear view mirror, but jeez! It's a crappy ad.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 12
5 hours ago, ctlady said:

Now were pouring blood-colored liquid into panty crotches to show the miraculous absorption

I'll take that any day over the ridiculous blue liquid they all used to use.

1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

I always wonder when I see ads for these panties, who gets to wash these blood-soaked things and do you put them in with the rest of the wash or what? Ugh.

However you want to handle them; there's no need to wash them separately, but you can.  (I bought some, based on recommendations in this forum, to use as overnight back-up in case I sleep through a needed tampon change, and like them SO much better than the reusable pad I'd been dealing with since they're nice and thin.)

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Who the hell is Sebastian Gorka and why should I care whether or not he endorses a product?

I don't know who he is and idc. His voice and accent irritate the living eff out of me.

• Applause 3
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Who the hell is Sebastian Gorka and why should I care whether or not he endorses a product?

1) A lying lunatic and 2) only so you know not to buy it.

• Applause 9
  • Love 7
13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

He's a conservative talk show host. From the few times I've been able to listen, it's a good show. I like his accent. It's vaguely british but I think he has an eastern European background, so maybe that's it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
19 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Did they use the first take of this commercial when they sent it out? It's so stilted and ACTED that I can't take it seriously. 

She really needs to take the nasty bitch tone down a few notches. And who are the Feldmans and why should we listen to them?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 3
  • LOL 4

It has to intentionally be that bad.   I don't know why, but the trend in old people commercials (Medicare, shingles, etc) is to have bad actors acting bad and badly so.  (Sadly, not anymore...).  The only one that has landed is Medicare Martha.   I know most hated her, but that cranky old bitch cracked me up.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Maverick said:

It has to intentionally be that bad.   I don't know why, but the trend in old people commercials (Medicare, shingles, etc) is to have bad actors acting bad and badly so.  (Sadly, not anymore...).  The only one that has landed is Medicare Martha.   I know most hated her, but that cranky old bitch cracked me up.  

Oh yes, for a minute there, I thought you were going to malign the lovely Martha. I won't have it, I tell you!

• Applause 1
  • LOL 3

I’m not going sure if this is national, or local, or a local franchise of a national chain, but… Mr. Window Replacement Guy tells me that if my thermostat is set to 70, it may not be able to keep up with the hot air coming in through my inferior windows. Well no duh. Sorry, I guess I’m still under the influence of Jimmy 68-in-the-winter-78-in-the-summer Carter. Now get off my lawn!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

She really needs to rake the nasty bitch tone down a few notches. And who are the Feldmans and why should we listen to them?

I watched it once & I'm terribly annoyed.  😬

• Like 1

I'm not seeing as many Medicare commercials lately (thank the Lord). They seem to have been replaced by commercials about class action suits regarding Camp Lejeune's poisonous water supply.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
14 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

And who are the Feldmans and why should we listen to them?

As Dr. Rick says, "No one knows who those people are."

Besides, if Mrs. Al knows so freakin' much about Medicare, why doesn't SHE make the call? Why does Al have to do everything?

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 1
18 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Did they use the first take of this commercial when they sent it out? It's so stilted and ACTED that I can't take it seriously. 

Well, i think it's pretty good actually, compared to how badly Viveca Fox, an actual famous actress, does it.......darlings

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I think it's the Meta Portal commercial where the dad is trying to have a remote meeting in his home office, but his little twerp of a daughter decides to 'let's see how far I can push daddy with all my little antics while he's trying to work'.  Here I am yelling at the tv to slap her then lock her out of the office

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
On 7/27/2022 at 10:02 PM, mmecorday said:

I'm not seeing as many Medicare commercials lately (thank the Lord). They seem to have been replaced by commercials about class action suits regarding Camp Lejeune's poisonous water supply.

I believe we generally only get bombarded with them at 2 times a year, when people can enroll/change their plans.

• Love 3

I'm still seeing Medicare commercials every day. I think it depends on the channel. I'm usually watching getTV at noon. They show a lot of CarShield commercials, but Jimmy Walker shows up too.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2
  • Love 3
On 7/27/2022 at 11:44 AM, LexieLily said:

I hate and also love how exaggerated her arm movements are.

• Like 1
On 7/27/2022 at 8:27 AM, Gharlane said:

He's a conservative talk show host. From the few times I've been able to listen, it's a good show. I like his accent. It's vaguely british but I think he has an eastern European background, so maybe that's it.

Even if I didn't know about his involvement in certain political machinations, he comes across as a sleazy Eastern European dictator.

• Like 3
  • Fire 2
  • LOL 2
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I'm still seeing Medicare commercials every day. I think it depends on the channel. I'm usually watching getTV at noon. They show a lot of CarShield commercials, but Jimmy Walker shows up too.

They show up on METV also, all year round.  Jimmy is horrible, but not as horrible as Joe Namath.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

They show up on METV also, all year round.  Jimmy is horrible, but not as horrible as Joe Namath.

I've been seeing them on StartTV too. William Shatner, Joe Namath, and the one with the nagging wife. Don't remember if the Jimmy Walker one.

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I've been seeing them on StartTV too. William Shatner, Joe Namath, and the one with the nagging wife. Don't remember if the Jimmy Walker one.

Oh, you'd remember that one. It's horrible.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh, you'd remember that one. It's horrible.

Oh I remember it from the December run of Medicare ads! "Dynomite!" Gag me...  I just don't recall StartTV airing it now.

• Love 1
On 7/26/2022 at 1:35 PM, Bastet said:

I'll take that any day over the ridiculous blue liquid they all used to use.

Yes, I used to have blue liquid come out. NOT.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

Oh I remember it from the December run of Medicare ads! "Dynomite!" Gag me...  I just don't recall StartTV airing it now.

It's waaay worse than that one, if you can imagine. I'm so envious you've never seen it.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1

When I record some WNBA games, they always seem to have the Jimmie Walker commercial a LOT.  Even though I'm fast-forwarding through the commercials, it seems to take a long time to get through that one, and I find myself staring past him at all the items displayed in the background as they desperately try to remind everyone who he is.  There's a photo of him in character as J.J., another photo of him with "Dy-no-mite!" printed on it, a sign with "Good Times" in big letters, and even a hat that is like the one he would wear as J.J.  I guess they thought just him yelling "Dy-no-mite!" is too subtle?

• Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
17 hours ago, GeorgiaRai said:

To those who hate Walgreens Quirky Girl... I salute you.    

I posted about my annoyance with her. She acts like she’s 12. The only bright spot in that commercial is her cute, attentive boyfriend bandaging her knee and carrying her piggy-back. And is that a safety pin she’s using to clean between her teeth???

And now I just saw the Thinx Teens ad. Dear Lord!  I guess I’d take the embarrassment of my mom telling my dad when I first got my period  and having him congratulate me, rather than having her prop her foot up on the edge of the tub and simulate how to plunge a tampon up my hoo-ha. 

Edited by ctlady
  • Like 4

OMG! The Thinx Teen ad is so gross. Mom with foot up trying to demonstrate, daughter appalled. I figured it out all on my own, how hard is it? I still wouldn't trust those panties along to catch all the flow, but I suppose for a teen it might work...

• Like 5
(edited)

Is it weird for Metamucil products to jump on the bandwagon of using the term “plant based” to death? I mean, yes, the root (no pun intended) of the product is made from plants, but it seems somewhat misleading* when one iteration is a gummy thing and another contains collagen. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1