Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

There's one of the newest AT&T/Lily commercials about how you can trade in your phone and the other guy in the commercial is like "So you can trade in your phone that you've had for 12 years, loved every minute of it, and find something better that suits your life now, even though you'll never forget your old phone, ever?"

It's played as an inside joke to the audience; clearly, we are supposed to know who that guy is. Except I don't so it means nothing to me and it just annoys me every time. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, LexieLily said:

There's one of the newest AT&T/Lily commercials about how you can trade in your phone and the other guy in the commercial is like "So you can trade in your phone that you've had for 12 years, loved every minute of it, and find something better that suits your life now, even though you'll never forget your old phone, ever?"

It's played as an inside joke to the audience; clearly, we are supposed to know who that guy is. Except I don't so it means nothing to me and it just annoys me every time. 

That's  Matthew  Stafford,  who was the quarterback for the hapless (and hopeless) Detroit  Lions for 12 years.  He was traded to the Los Angeles  Rams in 2021, and promptly lead them to winning the Super Bowl. 

Does that help the commercial make more sense to you? 

• Useful 6
  • LOL 7
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, LexieLily said:

That happens to me a fair bit with commercials using young singers -- I don't know who half of them are, so I don't get the references.

On the flip side, as a Rams fan, I love the Matthew Stafford commercial.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That happens to me a fair bit with commercials using young singers -- I don't know who half of them are, so I don't get the references.

On the flip side, as a Rams fan, I love the Matthew Stafford commercial.

I'm not a Rams fan (black and gold till I'm dead and cold,  baby!) but I like the commercial. 

• Love 1

The new VW commercial where the man, who appears to have an IQ of 10, is walking around watching a smartphone and acting like a complete moron.  I can’t figure out why VW would want to associate itself with such stupidity. 

• Love 5
(edited)
50 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

The new VW commercial where the man, who appears to have an IQ of 10, is walking around watching a smartphone and acting like a complete moron.  I can’t figure out why VW would want to associate itself with such stupidity. 

I get the point. At the end, the commercial says something to the effect of - even for people like him. In other words, VW's safety feature even saves the jerks of the world, someone who doesn't deserve it.

ETA: I don't think the guy is stupid. He's shown being a major a##hole jerk. Not opening a door for a guy on crutches, and so on.

Edited by chessiegal
Additional info
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

It's probably been said, but bears repeating, because they keeping making new commercials in the same vain as the others and just as stupid :  

All sonic commercials suck.  I want to shot my tv when these morons who yhink they're being witty and funny come on my screen

• Love 11
42 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I get the point. At the end, the commercial says something to the effect of - even for people like him. In other words, VW's safety feature even saves the jerks of the world, someone who doesn't deserve it.

ETA: I don't think the guy is stupid. He's shown being a major a##hole jerk. Not opening a door for a guy on crutches, and so on.

I totally agree with you on the major A-hole jerk.  

On 5/20/2022 at 2:37 PM, Colleenna said:

That's  Matthew  Stafford,  who was the quarterback for the hapless (and hopeless) Detroit  Lions for 12 years.  He was traded to the Los Angeles  Rams in 2021, and promptly lead them to winning the Super Bowl. 

I've heard that name. Was that the player that during the post-game Superbowl celebration a reporter/sideline analyst was trying to get his attention to interview him and fell off the little stage, and he and his wife either ignored her or laughed at her?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I've heard that name. Was that the player that during the post-game Superbowl celebration a reporter/sideline analyst was trying to get his attention to interview him and fell off the little stage, and he and his wife either ignored her or laughed at her?

Yes. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, LexieLily said:

He callously turned his back, but the wife did reach down to try to help the reporter.

That's why I don't like him in that commercial.

Edited by Crashcourse
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, marceline said:

There seems to be a whole new round of Lume commercials out this week.

I guess Shannon Klingman needs money.

Yeah. I noticed that. The one with her knee up is very weird for a professional.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, marceline said:

She also needs some class, but money can't buy that.  

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Yeah. I noticed that. The one with her knee up is very weird for a professional.

I've seen one with a knee in view, but it's not hers. She's a gynecologist. It's a patient's knee. Thinking about it, if anyone knows about stinky twats, it WOULD be her.

I worked for dentists for four years and only once did I hear one talk about a patient's bad breath. Just because some people don't take proper care of their body parts, there's no reason to discuss it in public, much less make a commercial about it.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I worked for dentists for four years and only once did I hear one talk about a patient's bad breath. Just because some people don't take proper care of their body parts, there's no reason to discuss it in public, much less make a commercial about it.

Granted, I think Lume solves a "problem" that regular soap and water can solve, but how are you supposed to make people aware of a product to take proper care of their body parts if you don't talk about it?

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Maverick said:
19 hours ago, marceline said:

She also needs some class, but money can't buy that.

Thank you for bringing this up. I've been meaning to comment on these commercials.  What's with the cheap, selfie video closeups?  I don't need to count the hairs in her nose not to mention I cringe at the word 'odor' (I know a few people that skeeve the word 'moist)  It even pains me to type it out.  

What I'm wondering is this - she's says it's for "pits, feet, privates and.....beyond"  What the heck else could 'beyond' cover that the other 3 don't?  Are there some super, secret, stink sites on our persons we don't know about?

• LOL 7
  • Love 5

The one I currently dislike is the Buick Enclave commercial,  where the family is getting ready for a soccer game and the dad keeps calling it Alexa.

Is that supposed to be a dad joke thing,  if so it's poorly executed. 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, ctlady said:

What I'm wondering is this - she's says it's for "pits, feet, privates and.....beyond"  What the heck else could 'beyond' cover that the other 3 don't?  Are there some super, secret, stink sites on our persons we don't know about?

I'm guessing they're too squeamish to mention butts?

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, ctlady said:

Thank you for bringing this up. I've been meaning to comment on these commercials.  What's with the cheap, selfie video closeups?  I don't need to count the hairs in her nose not to mention I cringe at the word 'odor' (I know a few people that skeeve the word 'moist)  It even pains me to type it out.  

So there weren't enough people who bought her crap about vaginal odor and she had to expand the market.  I can't stand her smirky whispering.  

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, nittany cougar said:

I can't stand her smirky whispering. 

It's so twee.   Which is exactly what I look for in a medical professional.  Um, "professional".

Can someone please tell the chirpy Walgreens lady to shut the fuck up?   Every time her squeaky voice comes on (and they run those commercials a lot), every dog and several species of birds start running for the house.  They've been using her for well over a year if not more and I don't know.  Does her Minnie Mouse-on-helium voice test well with focus groups or something?

And while I'm at it, I hate all the Dupixent cheerleaders.   Breaking the fourth wall with stilted dialogue as they run through their world in a faux single shot is not as clever as they think.   I think the newest guy bugs me the most.   Some schluby hipster runs through a train station, stopping to perform some lame dance moves, "make a connection" with some poor woman sitting on the train minding her own business and grabbing a scooter at his destination.  For someone reason, they redid the commercial to dub his voice, which makes it even more annoying.  

And since I'm in a super cranky mood, no blonde lady from Big Bang Theory you are not all that.   In some booze ad, she flaunts through a party before busting out some dance moves like she thinks she at some underground club and smirks in to the camera: "Sometimes you gotta give the people what they want."    I want this commercial to never air again.   Are you going to give me that, BBBTL?  She looks so douchy through the whole thing.  

Edited by Maverick
  • LOL 6
  • Love 8

I hate the cotton commercial with the yellow jumpsuit woman.  First, why are you advertising your product by highlighting an ill-fitting, unattractive garment in a hideous colour?  Second, who decided a jingle awkwardly trying to fit too many words in the available time would be effective?

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Gramto6 said:
14 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I'm guessing they're too squeamish to mention butts?

Wouldn't butts fall under the "private" category?

That's what I figured too

11 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

I can't stand her smirky whispering

[whisper voice] because 'private parts' is such naughty phrase [/whisper voice]

• LOL 5
On 5/20/2022 at 3:37 PM, Colleenna said:

Not particularly.

On 5/23/2022 at 12:49 PM, janie jones said:

Granted, I think Lume solves a "problem" that regular soap and water can solve, but how are you supposed to make people aware of a product to take proper care of their body parts if you don't talk about it?

Lume solves a problem that either can be taken care of as you suggest or, if it actually is that bad, with a visit to the gynecologist who will then probably prescribe antibiotics to clear that nasty infection right up.  Because if your lady parts smell really bad either you have terrible hygiene or, more likely, you have a damned infection which, despite what Ms. Klingman says in her highly misleading commercials, requires medical treatment.

I hate the commercial where she actually says that she created Lume because she thought doctors prescribed antibiotics in such circumstances too often.  She's wrong - women actually don't get infections properly treated nearly often enough.

23 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

The one I currently dislike is the Buick Enclave commercial,  where the family is getting ready for a soccer game and the dad keeps calling it Alexa.

That one is really annoying.  If he bought the damned car surely he knows the actual name of it.

• Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

It's a dig at Subway and their practices toward franchisees.

Thank you, but what does that have to do with Everybody Loves Raymond’s brother saying the name wrong and spitting out “that’s a problem!” after laughing heartily at the same “problem”?

There is a Samsung commercial for a “bespoke refrigerator” and the lady in it is wearing the most unflattering jumpsuit! It is gray and makes what appears to be a willowy and statuesque blond look sort of like a sea monkey (not the actual sea monkey, but the drawings of them that were on the box).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • LOL 5
On 5/23/2022 at 5:18 PM, jennifer6973 said:

I hate that ad. The daughter in the ad has it right --- it's just painful. 

• Love 3

I just saw a Gwyneth Paltrow commercial for Uber Eats.  I think that is what it was for.  She looked so uncomfortable doing the commercial; the lighting seemed harsh or something; the whole thing was off-putting.  Has this been around for awhile or is it new?

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Kemper said:

I just saw a Gwyneth Paltrow commercial for Uber Eats.  I think that is what it was for.  She looked so uncomfortable doing the commercial; the lighting seemed harsh or something; the whole thing was off-putting.  Has this been around for awhile or is it new?

She's in a couple of them, one has a bunch of celebs eating things (she nibbles a candle and of course says it's tasty) and the one I think you are referring to where she eats paper towel.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Haleth said:

She's in a couple of them, one has a bunch of celebs eating things (she nibbles a candle and of course says it's tasty) and the one I think you are referring to where she eats paper towel.

Yes! The paper towel! The entire commercial is bizarre and off putting. Ms. Paltrow looks uncomfortable and forced; so how did she win an academy award? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

All of these Uber eats commercials make me want to gag, especially the one that aired during the Superbowl. 

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, jennifer6973 said:

All of these Uber eats commercials make me want to gag, especially the one that aired during the Superbowl. 

Is that the one where the guy (don't know who he is) eats soap? That one makes me gag every time!

• Love 1

Right now, nothing sends me diving for the remote faster than the Nike commercial with Spike Lee and some woman (that I suspect I’m supposed to recognize but don’t) talking about sports over a chessboard. Not only is it annoying but it is SO ENDLESSLY LONG. Why is it so torturously long?

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Right now, nothing sends me diving for the remote faster than the Nike commercial with Spike Lee and some woman (that I suspect I’m supposed to recognize but don’t) talking about sports over a chessboard. Not only is it annoying but it is SO ENDLESSLY LONG. Why is it so torturously long?

I haven't seen it, but I just looked it up, and Lee directed it, so presumably it's supposed to be like a very mini-movie rather than a commercial.  The actor is Indigo Hubbard-Salk; she was in the TV series version of Lee's film She's Gotta Have It.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Those Medicare part C commercials are on all the time, one right after the other. Do they think that the people watching are suffering from short-term memory loss and don't realize they're on as often as they are?

There's another ad that I've been seeing recently for funeral insurance that shows a potter's field and that narrator says that this is where you'll spend eternity, in a pauper's grave, if you can't afford a funeral. No one will bring you flowers and no one will visit you. The thing is, YOU won't care because YOU will be dead.

• Mind Blown 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 16
18 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Do they think that the people watching are suffering from short-term memory loss and don't realize they're on as often as they are?

Considering the demographic they're going for, yes. 😂I notice them on the retro channels.

• Love 2