Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

I absolutely loathe the Discover (?) Alert ads and especially the woman and her over-the-top cutesy voice and all her panicked screaming over every thing. I debated whether to put this in the WTF thread, because I would always be multi-tasking and would just look up to see this woman freaking out while pressing every button on her phone NONONONONONO before hurling it across the room like it was on fire, and I could never figure out WTF her problem was. Well I must not have been the only one because no matter how many times I tried to catch why she was spazzing out, I never could until they added a voice over that the phone was alerting her to the fact that she was butt-dialing her ex. OOOOOkkkkayyy, I get it, no one wants to do that, but lady, throwing your phone across the room ain't gonna solve your problem. The next commercial is the one where she calls to find out about the alerts and how much they are, etc...when her dog is about to shake toilet water all over. I don't know why I find her so absolutely enraging and annoying, but I do! Maybe it's because they air those commercials incessantly, maybe it's because I couldn't figure out why she was freaking out initially, but MAKE HER STOP!

Phew. I feel better. Ha.

P.S. I usually enjoy Progressive's commercials, but if I was in the Heaven is a Place on Earth chorus, I would shove that Name Your Price Tool so far down Jimmy's throat he'd be shitting price comparisons for a month - "Do you believe this now, bitch?!?!?"

Edited by Kelloggirl
  • Love 13

What bothers me about the "butt-dialing your ex" situation is if she had just taken him out of her phone, there wouldn't be a problem. He's her ex. There's no need for him to still be in her contacts. Make a clean break!

Yes, I've thought about this as much as you have!

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Kelloggirl said:

I absolutely loathe the Discover (?) Alert ads and especially the woman and her over-the-top cutesy voice and all her panicked screaming over every thing. I debated whether to put this in the WTF thread, because I would always be multi-tasking and would just look up to see this woman freaking out while pressing every button on her phone NONONONONONO before hurling it across the room like it was on fire, and I could never figure out WTF her problem was. Well I must not have been the only one because no matter how many times I tried to catch why she was spazzing out, I never could until they added a voice over that the phone was alerting her to the fact that she was butt-dialing her ex. OOOOOkkkkayyy, I get it, no one wants to do that, but lady, throwing your phone across the room ain't gonna solve your problem. The next commercial is the one where she calls to find out about the alerts and how much they are, etc...when her dog is about to shake toilet water all over. I don't know why I find her so absolutely enraging and annoying, but I do! Maybe it's because they air those commercials incessantly, maybe it's because I couldn't figure out why she was freaking out initially, but MAKE HER STOP!

Phew. I feel better. Ha.

P.S. I usually enjoy Progressive's commercials, but if I was in the Heaven is a Place on Earth chorus, I would shove that Name Your Price Tool so far down Jimmy's throat he'd be shitting price comparisons for a month - "Do you believe this now, bitch?!?!?"

Ha. I came here to post that the first couple of times that she screamed after the dog shook toilet water on her, I thought that was funny, but in the commercial where she butt dials her ex, they use the same scream and her mouth does not even even move when she throws the phone so that made me tired of her. I didn't get the whole freaking out thing. On my phone when you call someone, while the call is going through there is a big red circle that you can press to disconnect the call. The way she was acting, she was pressing it plus everything else and the call wouldn't disconnect so she threw the phone. Like that will help. Plus, why is her ex in her phone contacts?

• Love 7

Can't stand the HPV vaccination ad telling how it can lead to cancer later and kids saying if their parents had known they would have done something.  ""Did u know mom..dad. DID YOU"  it just hits me wrong by implying parents might purposely deny their kids healthcare. ..which them makes,me think of healthcare and people who can't afford doctor visits ........etc.. 

• Love 16
23 minutes ago, Poohbear617 said:

Can't stand the HPV vaccination ad telling how it can lead to cancer later and kids saying if their parents had known they would have done something.  ""Did u know mom..dad. DID YOU"  it just hits me wrong by implying parents might purposely deny their kids healthcare. ..which them makes,me think of healthcare and people who can't afford doctor visits ........etc.. 

These HPV ads just piss me off.

• Love 6

Since there are parents out there denying their children appropriate healthcare because of some "but if you just don't have sex, you won't get it" bullshit, I like those commercials.

• Love 16

Yeah, I didn't see a gynocologist until I went to college and got birth control from the student health center. My (Baptist) mother was big into denial about anything I might've been doing with my boyfriend of 1.5 years in junior and senior year of high school.

• Love 6

The Breyers ads that tell you it's okay to eat an entire pint of ice cream because it's only 310 calories.

Not least because they don't mention that:

"It can cause side effects of diarrhea, headaches, and stomachaches when consumed in large quantities. That means that even these pints of low-cal and lower-guilt ice cream should be eaten in moderation."

• Love 7

The absolute worst commercials for me are anything with a doorbell, I usually am multi-tasking during commercials so am not paying close attention and when I hear a doorbell I freak out because I think somebody is at my door and I am the type who hates drop ins.

• Love 11
On 8/12/2018 at 9:19 AM, configdotsys said:

Is she the blonde in the car singing in the Sonic commercial. If so, I can't stand her.

I think I may have mentioned it already but I can't help myself: I am watching the PGA Champonship and they keep showing the Progressive "Heaven is a place on Earth" Jamie commercial. His cry face at the end turns me into a homicidal maniac. Someone please restrain me before I smash the TV and everything around it.

See, this is what Progressive did to all of us who pleaded and begged to get rid of Flo. I don't think she's gone for good but i dont see as many Progressive ads with Flo. However, we're now being tortured with that Heaven is a Place on Earth song. 

HELL is a place on earth called Progressive Insurance commercials.

• Love 15
9 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

The absolute worst commercials for me are anything with a doorbell, I usually am multi-tasking during commercials so am not paying close attention and when I hear a doorbell I freak out because I think somebody is at my door and I am the type who hates drop ins.

I hate those because my dog always thinks its someone at our door and races off barking like crazy while I try to tell her no one is there. She doesn't believe anyone because she heard the doorbell. You have to open the door and show her no one is at the door.  

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 8
13 hours ago, bilgistic said:

What bothers me about the "butt-dialing your ex" situation is if she had just taken him out of her phone, there wouldn't be a problem. He's her ex. There's no need for him to still be in her contacts. Make a clean break!

Yes, I've thought about this as much as you have!

I don't think I've ever deleted a contact from my phone.  I have coworkers from ten years ago.  I always think, oh I should clean this out, but I never do.  Or I do try to delete something, but it's only from my phone, and then my phone syncs with the cloud or whatever, and then it's back in my phone.  Plus, some people keep certain people in their contacts so they know who's calling if that person tries to call.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Those and the ones where text messages are sent. I can't tell you how many times, I've gone and picked up my phone thinking there was a text and it was on the TV.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

See, this is what Progressive did to all of us who pleaded and begged to get rid of Flo. I don't think she's gone for good but i dont see as many Progressive ads with Flo. However, we're now being tortured with that Heaven is a Place on Earth song.

It probably wouldn't be as bad if the group actually sang well at the end. It undercuts the message for them not to do better. Not that any ad starting out with discordant singing wouldn't be annoying. BTW, isn't it a little archaic to be bragging about their agents having something to figure out what coverages you can afford? Shouldn't they be pushing a DIY tool on a web site? Or would their prices scare away customers if they did that?

• Love 5

Well I must not have been the only one because no matter how many times I tried to catch why she was spazzing out, I never could until they added a voice over that the phone was alerting her to the fact that she was butt-dialing her ex. 

I've seen that ad a hundred times but never realized it was for Discover alerts. WTF? How can they alert you that you accidentally butt-dialed someone? How would they know the difference? I don't get it.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

And furthermore, what does an infant need with a play date? I get it for toddlers but play dates for infants like those "mommy and me" groups seem more like support groups for insecure mommies than being of any benefit to the baby.

And why the hell didn't she just tell him about it before leaving (presumably that morning)?

22 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

If I had a leaky bladder I'd be looking for a solution to the problem. Not some underwear that supposedly looks like "less of a diaper" that absorbs the pee. It's still going to smell and be uncomfortable to wear damp "sexy" undies. 

Not all medical solutions work for everyone.  I've been on medication for a couple of years now, but my body keeps adjusting to it so we've changed it 4 times and there's nothing left except Botox.  Which scares the hell out of me.  So forgive me if I use solutions which give me a chance to get to a bathroom without humiliating myself in public just because you apparently think someone with bladder issues should never leave the house.

• Love 12
25 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

And why the hell didn't she just tell him about it before leaving (presumably that morning)?

Not all medical solutions work for everyone.  I've been on medication for a couple of years now, but my body keeps adjusting to it so we've changed it 4 times and there's nothing left except Botox.  Which scares the hell out of me.  So forgive me if I use solutions which give me a chance to get to a bathroom without humiliating myself in public just because you apparently think someone with bladder issues should never leave the house.

Sorry. My intention was not to offend people with bladder problems. I was commenting on the underwear itself. 

And if/when the time comes and have an over active bladder....damn straight I'll be wearing those panties! 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 5
23 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

And furthermore, what does an infant need with a play date? I get it for toddlers but play dates for infants like those "mommy and me" groups seem more like support groups for insecure mommies than being of any benefit to the baby.

Maybe you're right and an infant doesn't "need" a playdate.  But as a mother I can tell you that it was a lifeline for me to get together with other nervous, lonely, or even scared parents of newborns.  And "support groups for insecure mommies" makes me feel as I have been patronized for benefiting from adult companionship.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Maybe you're right and an infant doesn't "need" a playdate.  But as a mother I can tell you that it was a lifeline for me to get together with other nervous, lonely, or even scared parents of newborns.  And "support groups for insecure mommies" makes me feel as I have been patronized for benefiting from adult companionship.

Just an opinion my friend, no offense meant.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I hate those because my dog always thinks its someone at our door and races off barking like crazy while I try to tell her no one is there. She doesn't believe anyone because she heard the doorbell. You have to hope the door and show her no one is at the door.  

One of my cats did that once with an ad involving a doorbell. Which is odd, because most of the time she couldn't care less about what's going on on TV, but for some reason, with that particular ad, she felt the need to run to our door and sit and stare at it. 

The funny part? We don't have a doorbell. 

• Love 24

Awhile ago, there was a commercial (I can't remember what it was) that apparently sounded like it was saying "Hey Siri" because every time it would run, my phone would be all, "What can I help you with?"

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

One of my cats did that once with an ad involving a doorbell. Which is odd, because most of the time she couldn't care less about what's going on on TV, but for some reason, with that particular ad, she felt the need to run to our door and sit and stare at it. 

The funny part? We don't have a doorbell. 

Perhaps she was trying to tell you that she thought you needed one?

Or she just wanted to see the creature on the other side of the door that is not visible to mere mortals?

Edited by Brookside
Adding more cat behaviour that is beyond human comprehension.
  • Love 8

I hate the double standard of the `game changer` DIY commercials.  Why does the man end up with the electric paint sprayer and the woman with the extension for the paint roller?  WTF? I have rolled paint before, give me the electric version any day.  

• Love 6

I hate when people in toothpaste commercials emphasize how clean their teeth are by dramatically licking them while smiling unnaturally. I also hate the “nod and smile while chewing” thing in food commercials.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 10
8 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I hate when people in toothpaste commercials emphasize how clean their teeth are by dramatically licking them while smiling unnaturally. 

How about the incredibly shallow and vain young women "taking the tissue test" to make sure their teeth are unnaturally white. Get lives, twits.

• Love 17

And why specifically a tissue? Other things are white, and tissues come in various colors, damn it! I have teeth that strangers have complimented (and that is weird) and they are by no means the white that these fools purport to be correct.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

And why specifically a tissue? Other things are white, and tissues come in various colors, damn it! I have teeth that strangers have complimented (and that is weird) and they are by no means the white that these fools purport to be correct.

Oh, it would be really great if they were using one of those mint green or pale blue tissues and trying for a match. That commercial might be worth watching.

• Love 13

That ad is everything that’s wrong with TV advertising today. The hyper-competent, controlling mom and the doofy-but-well-meaning dad just reinforce every stereotype about marriage and parenting ever created. It’s actually offensive to me.

Yeah, I guess making a list of things to do that day is just so antiquated the wife may as well have created a cave painting on how the day would go in her absence.

• Love 9
16 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Awhile ago, there was a commercial (I can't remember what it was) that apparently sounded like it was saying "Hey Siri" because every time it would run, my phone would be all, "What can I help you with?"

That happens with Alexa sometimes too.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, jcbrown said:

How about the incredibly shallow and vain young women "taking the tissue test" to make sure their teeth are unnaturally white. Get lives, twits.

Especially since their teeth are already unnaturally white.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, smittykins said:

Especially since their teeth are already unnaturally white.

That's the weirdest part about those ads. There is ZERO DIFFERENCE between their befores and afters. Yet there they are, freaking out because they've got a big date coming up and they somehow fear they won't be able to blind the guy with their dazzling smile.

• Love 8

The one kind of ad that actually does outrage me are those for tax relief companies that have people who owe $50,000 to the IRS, but the company supposedly gets the debt reduced to a mere $500.  I'm sure those people are happy, but everybody else in the United States, who actually dutifully pay their taxes every year, feel like fools and suckers.

• Love 19
38 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

The one kind of ad that actually does outrage me are those for tax relief companies that have people who owe $50,000 to the IRS, but the company supposedly gets the debt reduced to a mere $500.  I'm sure those people are happy, but everybody else in the United States, who actually dutifully pay their taxes every year, feel like fools and suckers.

Ugh, we're going through a similar thing at my condo: X amount of people aren't paying their maintenance fees. To make it up, there's talk of an across-the-board increase, which means what? That those of us who pay are paying more, and those who aren't still aren't. 

• Love 13
10 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Oh, it would be really great if they were using one of those mint green or pale blue tissues and trying for a match. That commercial might be worth watching.

Or those sort of orange-y ones.

1 hour ago, Eliot said:

That's the weirdest part about those ads. There is ZERO DIFFERENCE between their befores and afters. Yet there they are, freaking out because they've got a big date coming up and they somehow fear they won't be able to blind the guy with their dazzling smile.

Plus, is it a blind date, or some Tinder thing?  Because otherwise he's seen your teeth and still wants to go out with you, so...

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Eliot said:

Somebody needs to clue them on what most guys find appealing.  Here's a hint:

Whoever heard of a non-dentist male more eagerly subscribing to the Journal of the American Dental Association  than Playboy?

• Love 6
12 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I hate when people in toothpaste commercials emphasize how clean their teeth are by dramatically licking them while smiling unnaturally. I also hate the “nod and smile while chewing” thing in food commercials.

When I worked for dentists, we had a teen patient who never brushed the back side of his teeth, only the front. Reason: Parents never taught him how to brush & all he saw on TV were people brushing the front of their teeth; he never saw anybody brush the back side.  How freakin' sad is that?

• Love 6
4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

UGH, awful. I cannot understand not instinctively needing your teeth to be clean as hell. In fact, I’m probably a bit too aggressive about it, which is also not great.

My grandpa and both uncles are dentists, we were taught not only to brush all sides of our teeth but also our gums, inside of our cheeks, the roof of the mouth and tongue.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Eliot said:

Yet there they are, freaking out because they've got a big date coming up and they somehow fear they won't be able to blind the guy with their dazzling smile.

When did it become a good thing for someone that age to look like they have false teeth?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

My grandpa and both uncles are dentists, we were taught not only to brush all sides of our teeth but also our gums, inside of our cheeks, the roof of the mouth and tongue.

Oh, I just meant I'm a hard scrubber. The first time I saw my current dentist, he said, "So, you're right-handed, I see," haha! He also refused to allow me four cleanings a year, and assures me nothing's falling out anytime soon.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Brookside said:

Ore-Ida.  Your kid won't eat vegetables?  That's okay, give them french fries.

It's like the best SNL skit ever, except it's for real.

I thought it was a joke too.  But it's not.

1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

When did it become a good thing for someone that age to look like they have false teeth?

My hubby said the same thing!  We are both 53 and he said, "Are that many people our age without teeth?  They all need dentures??"

• Love 6

Have ever had a crown? Didja notice the card the dentist has with all the different color samples your crown could be made from? And the care the dentist takes in matching the crown to your existing teeth?  Guess what. Crowns, implants, veneers, etc., can't be bleached with "White Strips" - so you'll use those thingies to get blinding white, unnatural looking teeth, while your crowns still match your original teeth. What fun! (And none of those samples are that blinding white/tissue-test rubbish.)

• Love 9
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Brushing my tongue makes me gag.

• Love 10