Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Brookside said:

"Victoza may result in death."  First words of the ad.   I'm calling my doctor right now for a prescription.  (I live in Oregon.)

My doctor put me on a similar medication once (because it was the preferred brand of my then-insurance).  It made my A1C worse.  Apparently I was having a mild reaction that stressed my body.  I injected in the stomach, and I'd get horrible bruising, and welts.  I went off, and things got better.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The McDonalds commercial hawking their new "fresh beef" quarter pounders actually enticed me into trying one. They taste exactly the same as before.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought so.

11 hours ago, Brookside said:

"Victoza may result in death."  First words of the ad.   I'm calling my doctor right now for a prescription.  (I live in Oregon.)

Well, diabetes may also result in death.  If someone is having trouble controlling theirs, Victoza may or may not be the solution.  Plus, all medications could theoretically result in death, even if it's a zillion to one chance of choking on the pill.  But you know, lawyers, so they have to put that in the commercial.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Well, diabetes may also result in death.  If someone is having trouble controlling theirs, Victoza may or may not be the solution.  Plus, all medications could theoretically result in death, even if it's a zillion to one chance of choking on the pill.  But you know, lawyers, so they have to put that in the commercial.

Of course, I just don't need "death" to be one of the first words I hear in an ad!

• Love 12

"Ancestry DNA told my Dad that he came from the southern coast of Ireland."

I find this highly suspicious. My Ancestry DNA results gave me percentages, and one of them (at 9%) was simply "Irish." They did not specify which part of Ireland. Perhaps if I had a higher percentage of Irish in my DNA? Except that over 50% was simply described as "western Europe." So it seems to get even less specific the higher your percentage. So, thanks for nothing, Ancestry.com.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I find this highly suspicious. My Ancestry DNA results gave me percentages, and one of them (at 9%) was simply "Irish." They did not specify which part of Ireland. Perhaps if I had a higher percentage of Irish in my DNA? Except that over 50% was simply described as "western Europe." So it seems to get even less specific the higher your percentage. So, thanks for nothing, Ancestry.com.

To get specific, they'd have to trace things back to a group that didn't intermingle much with others long enough for their DNA to be measurably different. Sounds like there was such a group on the southern coast of Ireland at one time. In the future somebody may get told that they're a certain percentage Amish.

• Love 3
On 6/10/2018 at 7:04 PM, mojoween said:

The guy in the Lowe’s ad needs new friends, not a new backyard, because what kind of dipshit doesn’t MOVE when someone is trying to get into the cooler?

I regret that I have but one like to give for this post.

• Love 16

The woman in the Secret commercial drying her nasty, sweaty armpits with the hand dryer is the reason I prefer paper towels in public bathrooms. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

The woman in the Secret commercial drying her nasty, sweaty armpits with the hand dryer is the reason I prefer paper towels in public bathrooms. 

Combine that with hand-dryer-poop-germs for a treat. :(

• Love 3
(edited)

Hi, it's me again ranting about the Cancer Treatment Centers of America commercials. I recently had a cancer scare. I'm going to be fine. I do have a fine team of doctors looking after my care. They don't tell me what to eat from a salad bar, but a nurse did say she would pray for me and I didn't mind that. I am a lapsed Methodist, but I do pray. The nurse also hugged me when I cried and I didn't mind that either. She was showing me kindness and sympathy. I think what bothers me most about the CTCA commercials is that they make them look like they are unique in their approach to treating cancer. That is complete bullshit. The doctors who specialize in oncology go into it for one reason -- to treat their patients and make them well if that's possible. I don't know what vicious doctor Peggy with pancreatic cancer saw, but that doctor who told her she had pancreatic cancer and offered her no hope was obviously was in the wrong field. Maybe that MD would have been better suited as a forensic pathologist. That way the patient would already be dead. I can't find an update about Peggy. I wonder if she's died.

She has died http://www.georgeboom.com/memsol.cgi?user_id=2101514

Edited by mmecorday
update on Peggy
  • Love 12
On 6/15/2018 at 12:24 PM, proserpina65 said:

But you know, lawyers, so they have to put that in the commercial.

It's actually not lawyers but the government.  Those fair balance disclaimers are required by the FDA.

• Love 2
(edited)

I also Hate hate hate the products for crepe skin and the one for undereye bags! I swear they're like 20 mins long. And the guy with undereye bags is just, wow those are some frickin bags. You could store a camel in them.

Edited by OrigamiNightmare
  • Love 12
On 6/14/2018 at 12:56 PM, iMonrey said:

The McDonalds commercial hawking their new "fresh beef" quarter pounders actually enticed me into trying one. They taste exactly the same as before.

I suspect that's intentional. It's a bit convoluted, but I think the premise of that campaign to begin with was to go after people who purportedly prefer BK because BK is made-to-order and/or who prefer Wendy's because Wendy's is fresh. So they're specifically targeting potential customers who historically only object to McD (vs the others) on those grounds. That's who they're after. But at the same time, they know they have existing loyal customers who want McD to taste the way it already/always tastes. So the end result of they can truthfully say they have an offering that ticks the two boxes "fresh" and "made to order", while also not disrupting their brand-flavor is possibly exactly what they want to do. They're not trying to convert anyone who puts actual thought into "I do like the way McD tastes" or "I don't". They're just trying to convert the people who objected purely on principle. Plus or minus they're hoping for a temporary spike as people who don't really give a shit in either direction try it anyway to see what the fuss is about.

• Love 4

The ad for Febreeze featuring a woman spraying various things around the house. The couch, the rug, ok. But she sprays the bed and a jean jacket. Geez. Just wash the sheets, blankets and comforter and the jacket too. 

• Love 7
(edited)

There's a line in that commercial that goes something like "for clothes you want to wear again without washing", but I can't remember if it's spoken or in fine print on screen when the woman is spraying the jean jacket. All I thought then was who washes a jean jacket (or other type of jacket) after one wearing?

When it's not 100°, I usually wear most of my clothes (not underwear, come on) twice before washing. *shrug*

I've never owned Febreze.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, bilgistic said:

There's a line in that commercial that goes something like "for clothes you want to wear again without washing", but I can't remember if it's spoken or in fine print on screen when the woman is spraying the jean jacket. All I thought then was who washes a jean jacket (or other type of jacket) after one wearing?

When it's not 100°, I usually wear most of my clothes (not underwear, come on) twice before washing. *shrug*

I've never owned Febreeze.

I usually do, too. But I de-fur my pants with a lint roller.

• Love 2
On 6/12/2018 at 4:41 PM, Ohwell said:

Yeah but that's the point.  What does "doesn't look like her" even mean?  Biracial?  I think she's being coy by not explaining what she means.

I've finally seen that one, and seriously? I was expecting someone like the woman in the 23andme ad below - there's someone with a wide range of genetic influences. This chick? I live in Silicon Valley - I could find half a dozen of her just walking around a mall.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wvMS/23andme-getting-to-know-you

• Love 9

Yeah, I'm not at all interested in DNA testing but the woman in the 23andme ad is interesting (for some reason the freckles creep me out though).  That other chick?  Not so much.

9 hours ago, bilgistic said:

All I thought then was who washes a jean jacket (or other type of jacket) after one wearing?

Judge Judy had a guy who took his expensive jacket in for dry cleaning after - so he claimed - only one wearing. Nobody on the JJ forum believed him.

2 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Yeah, I'm not at all interested in DNA testing but the woman in the 23andme ad is interesting (for some reason the freckles creep me out though).  That other chick?  Not so much.

Uncanny valley effect, maybe, because it's such an unusual combo.

14 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I suspect that's intentional. It's a bit convoluted, but I think the premise of that campaign to begin with was to go after people who purportedly prefer BK because BK is made-to-order and/or who prefer Wendy's because Wendy's is fresh. So they're specifically targeting potential customers who historically only object to McD (vs the others) on those grounds. That's who they're after. But at the same time, they know they have existing loyal customers who want McD to taste the way it already/always tastes. So the end result of they can truthfully say they have an offering that ticks the two boxes "fresh" and "made to order", while also not disrupting their brand-flavor is possibly exactly what they want to do. They're not trying to convert anyone who puts actual thought into "I do like the way McD tastes" or "I don't". They're just trying to convert the people who objected purely on principle. Plus or minus they're hoping for a temporary spike as people who don't really give a shit in either direction try it anyway to see what the fuss is about.

They're not going to win over any of those people on taste.  I'll go back to Wendy's for my burgers.

5 hours ago, smittykins said:

I wear my jeans until they can walk to the laundry room by themselves. ?

(Actually, I change them every 3-4 days.)

I do Febreze them between wearings in the summer when I might've been sweating in them, though.

15 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I've never owned Febreze.

Ah Ok. I always mute commercials, so obviously I didn't hear that. Yeah, unless you spill something on it, there's no need to wash a jacket after one wearing. As far as other clothes, I can't wear stuff two days in a row. I'm really sensitive to smells, and my clothes stink to me after one day. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Ah Ok. I always mute commercials, so obviously I didn't hear that. Yeah, unless you spill something on it, there's no need to wash a jacket after one wearing. As far as other clothes, I can't wear stuff two days in a row. I'm really sensitive to smells, and my clothes stink to me after one day. 

Same. I do get a couple days out of jeans but I'm retired so I'm just wearing them around the house. If I go anywhere I throw on a pair of clean ones but always wear a clean top. Sometimes twice a day the the weather gets warmer.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Same. I do get a couple days out of jeans but I'm retired so I'm just wearing them around the house. If I go anywhere I throw on a pair of clean ones but always wear a clean top. Sometimes twice a day the the weather gets warmer.

I'm European and live in a temperate climate, so not only do I wear jeans for more days than you want to know, but I don't shower every day.  Maybe I should use Febreze as a body spray?

• Love 12

I don't shower every day either. I don't have an intimate partner and the cats don't care if I don't smell like Jasmine Lavender Blossom Breezy Island Crush. A little whore's bath in between showers and I'm good.

• Love 9

When I find jeans I like and that fit well I pretty much don’t wash them unless there’s some specific need to, such as I spilled something or splashed mud on them or something like that.  I’m a very non-sweaty person.  Now that of course really only applies to jeans I care about.  I have jeans I wear just for everyday kicking around in and those go in the wash.  

• Love 4
(edited)
56 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

There's a Nature's Bounty ad where a woman takes some product and can foresee her future self and she says, "I become a model?" and some man, presumably her boss, says, "No." Wow, patriarchy much?

That commercial bugs the shit out of me for the exact same reason. "No little missy, you silly female, you don't become a model. Pfft, girls are so stupid."

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1
(edited)

Regarding the woman who has a blog because "growing up, nobody looked like her."  It never really struck me as strange because I just assumed she was a from a small midwestern town like mine where we had literally one person of mixed race in our entire graduation class of 350+ students.  Yes... one.  

On 6/13/2018 at 9:28 AM, OpalNightstream said:

I think it all goes back to the current obesssion for everyone to think they are special and unique and need to be "seen" for the incredible fabulous person they feel entitled to be. 

IDK.  I guess I see both sides.  Yes sometimes the "younger" generations seem to have a larger sense of entitlement (although I'm sure OUR preceding generations said that about us...) and it can be annoying.  But at the same time, when self harm and suicide seems to be rampant in our society, I guess I'm OK with somebody thinking that they are "fabulous."  It's better than the alternative. 

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

There's a Nature's Bounty ad where a woman takes some product and can foresee her future self and she says, "I become a model?" and some man, presumably her boss, says, "No." Wow, patriarchy much?

There's a second version of that commercial where her future self says "No" and her boss walks into the room, cuts the light on and a repair man fixing the office air vent apologizes for the wind blowing in her face. I like that one better, but they usually air the shorter one.

• Love 2

The mom From then jiff peanut butter commercial is so perky and over eager it’s irritaing. “Sure can!” “And one for Charlie”.   “Unbelievable!”

my mom used to say back in the day Leave it toBeaver would make her question if that was what a normal family looked like and that hers, by comparison, was all kinds of dysfunctional.  Jeez this 20 sec commercial really oversells how enthusiastic a mom should be to please and serve their child and his imaginary friend Charlie. If making a sandwich is that exciting imaging cooking dinner for son and Charlie. 

And yes I have two teens and was never that excited to make them a sandwich. And they had/are having a happy childhood. 

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:00 PM, Silver Raven said:

"Ancestry DNA told my Dad that he came from the southern coast of Ireland." Your Dad didn't know where he came from?  Or do you mean that his ancestors come from the southern coast of Ireland?

I did the Ancestry DNA test.  Our family folklore was always that we were mostly French and some Native American and Irish.  My results told a different story, but my family was never like the ones you seen in their ads wearing lederhosen or something.  My sister in law is getting on my nerves lately because she and her daughter did the 23 and Me test, and she boasts about how she has a lot of Neanderthal.  She really believes she is some superior being or something because of her Neanderthal-ism.  I asked how that was important, and she said, "Well, 'we' discovered fire."  Mmkay.  I said, "Well, you may have discovered fire, but my ancestors starting cooking with it."

• Love 16
2 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

my mom used to say back in the day Leave it toBeaver would make her question if that was what a normal family looked like and that hers, by comparison, was all kinds of dysfunctional.  Jeez this 20 sec commercial really oversells how enthusiastic a mom should be to please and serve their child and his imaginary friend Charlie. If making a sandwich is that exciting imaging cooking dinner for son and Charlie.

Isn't the point of TV to show you what's out of the ordinary? Most people see plenty of normal every day, so why tune in for more of the same? Of course you can still say "I wish my family was more like the Cleavers" without them being "normal", just like you could have said "I wish I was an astronaut with a genie". No reason to think the mom in the ad is how anyone "should be"; she could be doing that to make up for nasty behavior at times we don't see.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

I did the Ancestry DNA test.  Our family folklore was always that we were mostly French and some Native American and Irish.  My results told a different story, but my family was never like the ones you seen in their ads wearing lederhosen or something.  My sister in law is getting on my nerves lately because she and her daughter did the 23 and Me test, and she boasts about how she has a lot of Neanderthal.  She really believes she is some superior being or something because of her Neanderthal-ism.  I asked how that was important, and she said, "Well, 'we' discovered fire."  Mmkay.  I said, "Well, you may have discovered fire, but my ancestors starting cooking with it."

All it really means is a lot of European ancestry. I have more than 88% of the people on 23andme. So what?

8 minutes ago, riley702 said:

All it really means is a lot of European ancestry. I have more than 88% of the people on 23andme. So what?

Right.  My "analysis" was interesting to me in the way that I found the messages on Bazooka bubble gum ("You will meet a VIP tomorrow.") interesting when I was a child. 

• Love 5
(edited)

What is with Verizon shoving those 2 idiots (that hipster douche & that mush for brains from that Netflix show) all the time during the World Cup? That hipster douche has overstay his welcome & I would never use their "Unlimited" plan from them because of that jerk. That other one is very creepy & I find him to be very repulsive. Hugging a porcupine would be more charming than being around this loser. Verizon should be lucky that their FIOS system is worth a damn. BTW, the rest of their commercials also sucked. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 5
On 6/8/2018 at 7:06 PM, SmithW6079 said:

I"m currently hating on a lot of commercials, but the most recent annoyance is from Lowe's, where the teenager paints his entire bedroom black. The tagline is: "The moment you realize you didn't mean any color." For starters, who bought the paint in the first place? If it's the parent, then she had to have known what color he picked. Did she just give him the money to buy paint? What kind of idiot doesn't reserve final say? Or does she want to be his "best friend," not his parent?

Lowe's TV Commercial: "The Moment: Any Color."

What no rage for the fact that black is technically the absence of color?

• Love 4