Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I'm not an expert in oils but I imagine the "for human consumption" bit is not strictly limited to "what plant did this come from" but the also the extent to which it was processed/filtered/stored/whatever. There's also usually an aspect of "the amount in food substance X is fine but if you drank a gallon of it that's toxic" kinda thing. Also I'm pretty sure canola came from selectively breeding rapeseed, so food-label-wise they're not exactly the same thing, but do have origins in the same sorts of plants.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 2

Is it weird that there are no commercials for real butter?  If there are, I haven't seen them.  Would that be because butter production is regional? 

We went back to butter about a year ago.  I had to convince my husband that it was okay to leave butter out, so it would stay soft enough to spread.  It's in a covered dish that holds a quarter-pound. 

We'd used Country Crock or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter for years, depending on which was cheaper.  Then it seemed like the formula was changed.  The taste and consistency was different, and the CC with Calcium wouldn't stay on a knife -- it'd slide right off.  Weird. 

• Love 2
On 10/21/2016 at 1:10 AM, legaleagle53 said:

I got my first AARP mailing right on my 50th birthday.  I would have joined then, but they screwed up on my last name, and I had no way to correct it.

I called AARP six or eight months in advance of my 50th birthday and told them in no uncertain terms that I better NOT receive any mail, email or any other known form of communication from them on, before or after my 50th birthday but especially ON.   Happily, I have heard from them not even once.

• Love 5
On 10/18/2016 at 9:36 PM, DeaconBlues said:

Had to create an account just to vent some commercial hatred.

1) The target commercials (there are several of lengths varying from "wew, glad that's over" to "shoot me now") featuring the song "Diggy" by Spencer Ludwig.  

This stupid song is an earworm and not in the good way. Whiny voice, idiotic lyrics. LAME!  And it's on all the damn time.

It is driving me out of my mind.   I have risked personal injury blindly grabbing for the mute button.   Target campaigns usually come and go, but this one refuses to go.   And yes, it's every commercial break.

On 10/18/2016 at 9:36 PM, DeaconBlues said:

3) All of the idiotic Ancestry.com commercials. The woman who's part African, part Asian and OMG everybody is always asking me "what are you???" -- yeah, OK, you're not that interesting, dear.   The couple featuring a poor man's Helen Hunt in a leather biker jacker that says:  "I thought I married [dramatic pause] AN ITALIAN".  Big disappointment to you? Does he sleep on the couch now?  The commercial is talking about the husband's lineage, but she says "we found out one of our ancestors was eastern europerean".   Ours?  No, his.   I don't know why it bothers me so much.

It's the perfect candidate for a Saturday Night Live sketch:

"I thought I married ...a BLACK MAN."

• Love 13

1) The target commercials (there are several of lengths varying from "wew, glad that's over" to "shoot me now") featuring the song "Diggy" by Spencer Ludwig. 

Arrrrggghhhh! Dang it, now that song is stuck in my head again! Yes, that is currently the worst in terms of "ear worms." I find myself repeating it mentally and then wanting to slap myself. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, ari333 said:

There is a fiber commercial that makes me crazy. It's the one that claims that the product does not cause, "UNWANTED gas" Is there ever wanted gas?

Maybe if it's *just* gas and not...something else.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, ari333 said:

There is a fiber commercial that makes me crazy. It's the one that claims that the product does not cause, "UNWANTED gas" Is there ever wanted gas?

Actually, there is.  If you're in the hospital for certain types of surgery, one of the things you have to do, before they let you leave, is pass gas, so in that case, the gas is actually wanted. 

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 4
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:33 PM, 3pwood said:

Is there a kind of pie that's unlikeable?  I like some kinds more than others, but all pies are wonderful -- aren't they?

No - there are good pies, and then there's coconut custard.  My mother loves coconut custard pie and is under the delusion that I like it too despite my many, many efforts to dissuade her.  Not particularly keen on pumpkin pie either.

As far as single slices being sold separately, I will occasionally get one because if I had a whole pie, I'd eat it all in far too short a time.  So that aspect of the commercial doesn't bother me.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

No - there are good pies, and then there's coconut custard.  My mother loves coconut custard pie and is under the delusion that I like it too despite my many, many efforts to dissuade her. 

Your mom a big Gilligan's Island fan?

• Love 3
On 10/23/2016 at 9:39 PM, millennium said:

I called AARP six or eight months in advance of my 50th birthday and told them in no uncertain terms that I better NOT receive any mail, email or any other known form of communication from them on, before or after my 50th birthday but especially ON.   Happily, I have heard from them not even once.

My little sister started getting mail from AARP when she was like 19 lol. She has an "old" name, I guess they made an assumption 

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 0:27 PM, xaxat said:

Hmm, a black man stripped to his underwear, throwing "gang" signs wearing a mask, gold chains and a grill.

That's not a dehumanizing stereotype. Not at all.

I hate those mask things. It's something a hoodlum would wear who wants to rob you.

• Love 3
On 10/23/2016 at 9:50 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Probably the reason your margarine isn't melting is whatever they've replaced the trans-fats with.

I agree. The baking column in my Sunday paper mentioned the same thing, that margarine is not the same. They, too, blamed the missing trans-fats.

• Love 1
Just now, peacheslatour said:

If you think those are bad (and you have an afternoon to kill) check out James Lilek's website Regrettable Food. There's a whole section on the horrors of Jello Past.

I LOVE that place, Regrettable Food!  Such horrible memories of gelatin and jello molds and decorated meatloaf!

• Love 2
On 10/23/2016 at 1:25 PM, AuntiePam said:

Is it weird that there are no commercials for real butter?  If there are, I haven't seen them.  Would that be because butter production is regional? 

Maybe butter doesn't need to advertise?

Reminds me of a joke I saw recently ...

1273ca894f0563c1756ae664dc63dceb.jpg

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I can't say that I'm annoyed, irritated, or enraged by this ad, let's just say I was stunned, openmouthed, as I watched this, on daytime TV this morning.

"The devil's donuts"!

Did Poopourri's patent run out or what?

My notion of "devil's donuts" was something entirely different before I watched the commercial.

• Love 4
On 10/25/2016 at 10:57 AM, proserpina65 said:

No - there are good pies, and then there's coconut custard.  My mother loves coconut custard pie and is under the delusion that I like it too despite my many, many efforts to dissuade her. 

Taking to Small Talk.

Edited by riley702
9 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I can't say that I'm annoyed, irritated, or enraged by this ad, let's just say I was stunned, openmouthed, as I watched this, on daytime TV this morning.

"The devil's donuts"!

Wow, I'm so glad I watched that. Devil's donuts? I have no words...

• Love 1

Actually, there is.  If you're in the hospital for certain types of surgery, one of the things you have to do, before they let you leave, is pass gas, so in that case, the gas is actually wanted. 

veering a little out of commercial range, I had a colonoscopy at a Catholic hospital and when Sister says "fart" you fart. And I'm not Catholic. I was coming out of anesthesia and she told me something, I didn't understand what she said, responded with "huh?". She said "fart." I farted.

Editing to make this fit subject. Cox Communications has terrible ad spokes people! For years there was the most obnoxious know-it-all husband, father, neighbor. So glad when they discontinued him. Thought they couldn't get worse, they did. Now they have a young couple with a baby, they plan movie nights around his sleeping. Of course you do! They are lucky to get a movie night with a young baby. Then mama says something about the flexible plan will let them change if they have more, papa looks at her surprised, "already?" She just looks coy. They have no business on my lawn let alone having a kid or two or more.

Edited by friendperidot
big difference between no and know
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

"The devil's donuts"!

Word to what everyone has already said.  What I am most weirded out about regarding this ad is all the men who go into the bathroom after her and take big sniffs after she leaves.  Is that some kind of sick fetish?  

• Love 5
7 hours ago, friendperidot said:

veering a little out of commercial range, I had a colonoscopy at a Catholic hospital and when Sister says "fart" you fart. And I'm not Catholic.

Twelve years of Catholic school, and yes, this is true!

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Why are these people insisting he hold their baby when they can clearly see he's already holding something with them? Why doesn't he tell them, since they're too stupid to notice?

And the way that Douche says "Hold the/my baby". Go F yourself .,douche.

• Love 6

Those Ancestry.com ads are laughable. 

Trees tend to be wrong alot, I can trace my maternal family back to the 1100s (first member came to America in 1696, and this was done BEFORE the internet (late 60s).  They think Civil War was a long time ago.  Plus if I need my DNA for medical purposes, a reputable lab will do fine.

Has anyone seen the new "Interesting Man in the World"?  This campaign will die quickly.  He can barely speak w/o a French accent, and he's not smooth at all!

ETA:  Hubby couldn't wait to join AARP.  I have to say, it was worth it for us, since we moved from IL to NC, and got a nice discount.  I don't mind those commercials.  At least we aren't shown with one foot in the grave.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Has anyone seen the new "Interesting Man in the World"?  This campaign will die quickly.  He can barely speak w/o a French accent, and he's not smooth at all!

Am I the only person who thinks he reminds him of Michael Phelps?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

Is that his accent? I noticed him closing in Spanish, but paid more attention to the VO guy. There's nothing special about playing college football while still in high school. You can be enrolled in both schools at the same time.

3 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Is that his accent? I noticed him closing in Spanish, but paid more attention to the VO guy. There's nothing special about playing college football while still in high school. You can be enrolled in both schools at the same time.

Plus, the real Most Interesting Man in the World would never have played football.  He would have fenced through the lines or something.

A cheap imitation - I'm not fooled!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, OSM Mom said:

So Time Warner Cable has changed their name to "Spectrum."  OSM Dad is calling it "Rectum" because they're still the same bunch of assholes.  I wouldn't take it for free .  

Spectrum is Charter, another existing cable company. If Time Warner is starting to call itself that we've been listening to the wrong merger rumors.

Arrrrggghhhh! Dang it, now that song is stuck in my head again! Yes, that is currently the worst in terms of "ear worms." I find myself repeating it mentally and then wanting to slap myself. 

And I thank you both for mentioning it. I hadn't really noticed it until I read your comments. Thanks a lot. (said with heavy sarcasm)

• Love 1

Eliquis.  She's in what seems to be the backyard, gardening & he's puttering around in some peripheral building.  When they finally show the interior, it looks as though extensive renovation had been going on...and she doesn't notice until he screws on the sign "Karen's Pottery" ??  WTF did she think he'd been doing all this time - going in there to sneak hits of Eliquis?

• Love 5

AT&T must be serious. When Comcast was trying to buy Time Warner a couple of years ago it was going to involve selling off some service areas to other companies for some arcane reason. Since it didn't go through those things never happened. But this looks like it actually will.

AT&T to buy Time Warner

Edited by CoderLady

I thought that VI Poo commercial was hilarious (and maybe a comedy skit). I haven't laughed this hard since the My Shiney Hiney commercial (another one I thought was a spoof). Yep, I'm 12.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, friendperidot said:

And I thank you both for mentioning it. I hadn't really noticed it until I read your comments. Thanks a lot. (said with heavy sarcasm)

I kind of like the song and end up dancing around in the kitchen to it after I get it stuck in my head.  But yes, it is totally an ear worm.

On 10/26/2016 at 5:00 PM, peacheslatour said:

If you think those are bad (and you have an afternoon to kill) check out James Lilek's website Regrettable Food. There's a whole section on the horrors of Jello Past.

Oh my goodness, I love you! Confession: when I get bored or bummed out, I Google "ugly foods of the past"--and then I cackle at it all night. It's to the point where, if my BF hears me laughing from another room, he might yell, "ugly food again?"

• Love 4
17 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Plus, the real Most Interesting Man in the World would never have played football.  He would have fenced through the lines or something.

A cheap imitation - I'm not fooled!

I'd expect the claim to be something like that he coached an Olympic fencing team to victory using a coat-hanger wire. In retrospect, ITA that he wouldn't have played football at all; phoned in a game-winning play to a Superbowl team maybe?

• Love 3

The target commercials (there are several of lengths varying from "wew, glad that's over" to "shoot me now") featuring the song "Diggy" by Spencer Ludwig.  

And any day now we should start hearing Marshmallow World constantly.

• Love 2