Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I do think it's taking a risk to run that long with an ad campaign that presupposes your audience saw the originals. Maybe this is how younger people feel when they see the Starkist commercial with Charlie the Tuna. 

Or it's how people react to hearing "Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee" (yes, we know what they think it sounds like), when for decades it's been used without the setup "Everybody doesn't like something."

• Love 2

As someone who gets half their network television channels from Alabama, I can say that it can get a lot worse than Titlemax:

OMG, that is funny.  It doesn't even seem like a real commercial, more like a Saturday Night Live skit.

And that other one?  "You REAL money," was the worst example of lip syncing I've seen in a long time.

Edited by Neurochick

I am tired of seeing that McDonald's commercial with the "Brave" mom stepping into her soccer playing son's room to fish a stinky red sock out of the pile of decaying sweaty clothes on his floor.

First, the kid was able to find every piece of clothing except that one sock? The sock was visible while mom is standing at the door!

My mom would tell me either find the missing sock, change to a different pair, or go with a mis-matched pair.

Mom should make her son clean his room and put his clothes away, instead of enabling that behavior.

Helicopter Mom indeed.

Edited by TommyD
  • Love 7

Me too - there's seemingly no end to the annoying local commercials around here in northern Florida. Right now the prime contenders for stabbiness are the local pizzeria that made up its own lyrics to "It's only rock and roll" ("oh no, it's not just cheese and dough...") to the annoying ambulance chaser who mispronounces his own profession as "law-(full stop)-yer"). Apparently he passed the hooked-on-phonics bar exam...

Edited because you guys really need the link for the first one (and apparently it's sauce and dough):

That...was painful. Although, now I want pizza.
  • Love 1

Yeah, I said upthread that Charlie was the first spokesman (spokesfish?) who actually wanted to get caught so that he could be eaten, and it apparently sparked a trend.

Well, not quite.  The reason that he wanted to be caught was that he believed that Star Kist wanted only tuna with "good taste" (which he thought he had in spades), when the truth was that Star Kist really wanted only tuna that "tastes good" (as his pal repeatedly pointed out to him).

• Love 3

Okay, so I can't find it, but The General has this new ad where a guy tells his girlfriend that he wrecked the car. She asks him if he's okay, and he says he is, but the "our insurance company doesn't like us anymore." She whacks him with a pillow, and he whines, "Okay, so I have flaws!" I really wish I could find a link, because the "acting" is too ludicrous to describe. Maybe someone else has more impressive Googlee-fu than I do.

After seeing that gem of a commercial from Alabama upthread, I've been thinking maybe we need a "Local Commercials" thread, in which we regale each other with horrifyingly bad examples of homespun marketing gone wrong.

I can think of at least one series of local auto dealer commercials that fill me with unbridled rage because of how annoyingly stupid they are.

That is SUCH a great idea!  I have a multitude of annoying local commercials to harvest.

I like the idea. Make it happen, Capt'n.

You can find it here

• Love 3

Okay, so I can't find it, but The General has this new ad where a guy tells his girlfriend that he wrecked the car. She asks him if he's okay, and he says he is, but the "our insurance company doesn't like us anymore." She whacks him with a pillow, and he whines, "Okay, so I have flaws!" I really wish I could find a link, because the "acting" is too ludicrous to describe. Maybe someone else has more impressive Googlee-fu than I do.

Here's their YouTube channel with uploaded commercials. https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGeneralInsurance/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0

I'm not about to view them all, but maybe you'll recognize the characters.

I don't think she was meant to be sound-aliking any particular performer/performance. I think they just gave her general direction in terms of comedy approach to the songs. Or "comedy" depending on your perspective. But that's what I thought they were going for. 

Check this one out

The offbeat music in the background, the useless dialogue. Yes, if the guy looks familiar he is, it's Leigh McCloskey he was in that movie "Just One of the Guys" he played Terry's boyfriend and on Dallas.

• Love 2

Or it's how people react to hearing "Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee" (yes, we know what they think it sounds like), when for decades it's been used without the setup "Everybody doesn't like something."

Well at least "Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee" still means something out of context.  With the Bush's Baked Beans commercials, it's just a talking dog if you don't know the backstory.

Aw, I kind of like her! (I have a fondness for redheads)

I have a fondness for redheads, and I still think she's obnoxious.

There must be new ones that I haven't had the "pleasure" of seeing yet.

Yes, there's one where she's singing "Be With You" from the early 90s hairband Mr. Big. Who I have not even thought about in more than 20 years, yet I googled the video on YouTube because my 17-year-old self used to love that song. Lol

Edited by tanyak
  • Love 1

I am angry at that commercial because it has caused "Be With You" to be stuck in my head for several days. I find myself singing it in the shower. I guarantee that has never happened before. (I mean, I sing in the shower all the time, not gonna lie, but I managed to go 30 years without singing that song. Until now.)

• Love 3

I envision them all sitting around in their offices now where they sell insurance or work as small-town personal bankers at the local credit union, and the call comes in from Wendy's saying they want the rights to the song. "Finally", Mr. Big's collective members think, "it is going to happen for us again after 20-some odd years."

Nope, that annoyingly twee redhead is going to butcher your song offkey, singing to a hamburger.

• Love 1

Hey, Peachtree People!  Please go away.  I wouldn't loathe the smarmy irritants half so much if my local cable news channel (NY1) didn't play the damn commercial at least once every break.  "We're Peachtree People.  it's what we do."  What do I do?  What about pelting you with rotten peaches until you GO AWAY.

• Love 2

Well, not quite.  The reason that he wanted to be caught was that he believed that Star Kist wanted only tuna with "good taste" (which he thought he had in spades), when the truth was that Star Kist really wanted only tuna that "tastes good" (as his pal repeatedly pointed out to him).

Poor Charlie!  He probably lived his little tuna life in the ocean, a sad broken tuna, thinking he had failed in life....the Stanley Kowalski of the tuna world.  Never realizing how lucky he was to have never been accepted for Starkist's high sodium, processed tuna snacks.

Check this one out

The offbeat music in the background, the useless dialogue. Yes, if the guy looks familiar he is, it's Leigh McCloskey he was in that movie "Just One of the Guys" he played Terry's boyfriend and on Dallas.

Why are those kinky fucks bringing their deodorant into the bedroom?  I normally spend about 15 seconds putting it on in the bathroom, mine never makes it out to the bedroom, and its certainly not the subject of any conversation, unless of course I end up getting deodorant stains all over my shirt.....and then the conversation is as sexy as the one the two of them are having.

• Love 1

Has anyone seen the commercials for the stinky fart markers? Swear to God, not making this up. Some magic marker company has decided to capitalize on kids huffing their magic markers so they've made them smell like different flavors, and explain how they get those flavors into the markers: with fruits that fart out colored gasses which are inexplicably captured and injected into their markers. Please tell me someone else has seen this.

• Love 1

I have not, but one tends to remember hearing about blueberry farts, so I know I've seen them discussed in at least one of the Commercials topics.

I have finally seen the farting blueberry, and because I'm twelve I think its hilarious, but it really makes no sense nor is it a particularly good advertising idea. Kids might think farts are funny, but most adults don't.

• Love 1

Papa John's has always been background noise to me until the pulled pork pizza commercial.  It sounds like he's saying po' poke to me, and makes me dive for the mute button. Does this guy have marbles in his mouth or something?

Whoa, @cynicat, I was literally just coming here to post about my BURNING HATRED for Papa John. Like, he seriously makes me homicidal, and the latest ad you reference above has only inflamed it further. OPEN YOUR DAMN MOUTH AND FORM WORDS. He is saying "more pork" but his tiny cruel lips can't be bothered to open all the way to make the words understandable. 

*goes to get a Xanax*

• Love 4

Whoa, @cynicat, I was literally just coming here to post about my BURNING HATRED for Papa John. Like, he seriously makes me homicidal, and the latest ad you reference above has only inflamed it further. OPEN YOUR DAMN MOUTH AND FORM WORDS. He is saying "more pork" but his tiny cruel lips can't be bothered to open all the way to make the words understandable. 

*goes to get a Xanax*

He's too busy trying to sell himself as a regular working man working at a pizza joint, than the cold, heartless, scrooge he really is.

• Love 7

Has anyone seen the commercials for the stinky fart markers? Swear to God, not making this up. Some magic marker company has decided to capitalize on kids huffing their magic markers so they've made them smell like different flavors, and explain how they get those flavors into the markers: with fruits that fart out colored gasses which are inexplicably captured and injected into their markers. Please tell me someone else has seen this.

I haven't seen this blueberry fart ad that everyone's talking about, but I loved those markers when I was a kid and then wasn't sure if they still made them anymore.  When I found them on Amazon recently, they had been kind of hard to find, so when I heard they were advertising them, I was happy to learn they weren't fading into obscurity.  (I was also surprised to see them in stores again.)

• Love 1

I have finally seen the farting blueberry, and because I'm twelve I think its hilarious, but it really makes no sense nor is it a particularly good advertising idea. Kids might think farts are funny, but most adults don't.

I'd venture that most grown people I know think farts are pretty funny. (Granted, I don't know a lot of people.) I think farts are a riot, but I'm a dumbass.

I'd venture that most grown people I know think farts are pretty funny. (Granted, I don't know a lot of people.) I think farts are a riot, but I'm a dumbass.

That was really cute!

I haven't seen this blueberry fart ad that everyone's talking about, but I loved those markers when I was a kid and then wasn't sure if they still made them anymore.  When I found them on Amazon recently, they had been kind of hard to find, so when I heard they were advertising them, I was happy to learn they weren't fading into obscurity.  (I was also surprised to see them in stores again.)

Same here. I saw them in Walmart the other day and I might or not have squealed. Lol Mr. Tanyak had never seem them, which makes me question what kind of elementary School he attended in the early 1980s. Ha!

For me, its a fine line.

A grown person farting, not so funny.  Especially when you're the one left in the destructive aftermath of a "silent but deadly."  However, a commercial where we are waiting for a blueberry to fart so we can capture the essence in a marker....kinda funny.  I mean, its no Esurance and Beatrice, but I think the humor was in the timing and the build up.

• Love 2

However, a commercial where we are waiting for a blueberry to fart so we can capture the essence in a marker....kinda funny.  I mean, its no Esurance and Beatrice, but I think the humor was in the timing and the build up.

I'm sitting here LOLing just thinking about it.

And, no Jordin Sparks, you are not lucky your mom also had migraines? Why would determining a genetic factor for having a very painful condition be preferable to not experiencing the condition at all? Because now you know to purchase an over the counter medication with the name of the condition on the label? Because it would not have occurred to you to otherwise look for medicine labeled "migraine" and/or "headache"? PS: everyone's migraines are different and a lot of people go through many medications before they find one that works for them at all, even if it works for thousands of other migraine sufferers so knowing Excedrin was helpful to mom only really got you this plumb sponsorship deal, not necessarily a special clue into the world of migraine relief.

/whatmebitter

• Love 5

I'm sitting here LOLing just thinking about it.

I know right!

And, no Jordin Sparks, you are not lucky your mom also had migraines? Why would determining a genetic factor for having a very painful condition be preferable to not experiencing the condition at all? Because now you know to purchase an over the counter medication with the name of the condition on the label? Because it would not have occurred to you to otherwise look for medicine labeled "migraine" and/or "headache"? PS: everyone's migraines are different and a lot of people go through many medications before they find one that works for them at all, even if it works for thousands of other migraine sufferers so knowing Excedrin was helpful to mom only really got you this plumb sponsorship deal, not necessarily a special clue into the world of migraine relief.

/whatmebitter

your passion has convinced me to hate Jordin Sparks too - bitch!  :)

• Love 2

During the ABC World News tonight, I was screaming at my TV, "Jordin Sparks, go away, and take your migraines with you!" They ran her Excedrin ad at every single commercial break.

She's gorgeous, but she is on my list of Actors You Can't Stand. If she would just quit doing that little eyebrow thing...
  • Love 1

What's with the sudden resurgence of awful 80s/90s earworms? Between Wendy's and Fiber One, I'm constantly lunging for the remote to avoid some terrible song that should have remainded long-forgotten.

Mind you, I'm of the right demographic for this crap (which apparently means I'm old enough to need fiber bars) but just because "To Be With You" played when I was in high school doesn't mean I feel the slightest bit of nostalgia for it. Trust me, it sucked back then too. 

• Love 4