Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

Jeremy is a lazy man. That’s the problem. He wants to make easy $. He thought by posting pictures of products he’d be making good $. He failed as a SM influencer. Partially because of his horrible beliefs. 

He doesn’t want a regular job. He wants to be a star. Or like Joel Osteen. 

Basically I see them becoming like the Rodrigues family soon enough. 

If anyone will file for a divorce it will be Jeremy. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
Just now, Zella said:

He'd need to get a job first before he could use that excuse. 🤣

He'll manage to scrounge up something in the JMac empire. I mean, he supposedly works for him now in some undisclosed capacity. 😂

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

He'll manage to scrounge up something in the JMac empire. I mean, he supposedly works for him now in some undisclosed capacity. 😂

I kind of wonder if Jeremy is losing his luster for Mac Daddy, though. Jeremy seems like an expensive prize pony that never really pays out. I actually thought of this in relation to the book, but if I was his publisher, I would be really pissed at them. The onus of book marketing is increasingly on the author, and they've done pretty much jackshit in the lead up to this book that is coming out in a matter of weeks. The book and podcast both could also have been a secondary opportunity for Mac Daddy, but again, Jeremy shit the bed. And his posts often frequently ignore the seminary, and when they do, it just reinforces the rumors about their nepotism. And he's no culture warrior, either, barring a couple of half-hearted posts. I don't think he's earned his free rent, and I'm not sure what benefit they'd have in sustaining him once he graduates. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

I agree that he hasn't earned all the freebies, but he's successfully sucking up to somebody in order to keep living in that house and ostensibly being paid a salary for doing...something. 

I can't believe they aren't promoting the book. Does Jeremy think their names will be enough to sell it? pfffft

• Love 12

I'm with you, Zella. I suspect another big draw for JereMe in Mac Daddy's eyes was the possibility of converting (heh) his loyal helpmeet's hundreds of thousands of followers into those elusive millennial butts in pews. There's no sign that's paid off either (although maybe it is and Jer's too much of a suckupsky to post pictures with his fans aka sweet friends that dropped in for church). 

It is weird, though. For a while it was looking like they had an actual strategy, as much as we mocked them for thinking they were big enough for books, podcasts and merch, there clearly was a plan and now it's just poofed for no good reason I can see. I'm starting to wonder if we'll see the book at all at this point (Oh, what a blow to literature that will be!). 

• Love 16
2 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

I'm with you, Zella. I suspect another big draw for JereMe in Mac Daddy's eyes was the possibility of converting (heh) his loyal helpmeet's hundreds of thousands of followers into those elusive millennial butts in pews. There's no sign that's paid off either (although maybe it is and Jer's too much of a suckupsky to post pictures with his fans aka sweet friends that dropped in for church). 

It is weird, though. For a while it was looking like they had an actual strategy, as much as we mocked them for thinking they were big enough for books, podcasts and merch, there clearly was a plan and now it's just poofed for no good reason I can see. I'm starting to wonder if we'll see the book at all at this point (Oh, what a blow to literature that will be!). 

If that book gets pulled, we'll know shit really hit the fan! 

And yes I agree that at some point there was something resembling a strategy. I'm not sure who cooked it up for them--neither Jinger nor Jeremy strike me as a great strategic mind--but I'm sure the podcast and the candle/hat business were meant to be something beyond a dalliance. 

I've picked on Derick for not being able to follow through on things before law school, but damn Jeremy's track record is looking worse by the minute. 

1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I can only imagine the blowhard pomposity in that book. 🙄

I would never buy it or check it out to give it circulation, but if it pops up on my library's shelves, I'll read it at the circ desk when nobody but me and my coworkers are there and laugh my ass off at it. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 13
Just now, Zella said:

I've picked on Derick for not being able to follow through on things before law school, but damn Jeremy's track record is looking worse by the minute. 

Yep. I was thinking along those lines too. I think Jeremy's lazy, and I wonder if he's as smart as he thinks he is.

IMO he's just floundering around on social media these days. I wonder if that is reflective of some behind the scenes problems in his school/work or family life. Anyway, it's not looking good.

• Love 12

14 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Yep. I was thinking along those lines too. I think Jeremy's lazy, and I wonder if he's as smart as he thinks he is.

I've never gotten over how blasé he was about his congregation in Laredo. It's like he couldn't even pretend to care and had no problem obviously marking time until he could get away. I didn't actually really have an opinion on Jeremy before that. 

IMO he's just floundering around on social media these days. I wonder if that is reflective of some behind the scenes problems in his school/work or family life. Anyway, it's not looking good.

It's definitely got some weird vibes, and you're right that it could be any number of things. I get being stressed and procrastinating/being your own brand of goofy weirdo to cope. When I was working on my thesis for grad school, I was under a lot of stress. I still finished it in a timely fashion (2nd in my year to finish!). But I am not going to disclose how much time I spent watching daytime talk shows and 80s action movies and playing Governor of Poker when I was supposed to be working on it. 😉 But the stuff he's been posting lately doesn't even read like "I'm stressed and just being a dork on Instagram to blow off some steam," and Jinger's just looked miserable for a long time, so whatever it is seems to be affecting her too. It's got a real creepy, frenzied Hitler in the bunker vibe to it. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 18

I think having 2 kids and no real income coming in is affecting them.

Of course Jeremy’s budget for expensive shoes/food/coffee is not going to be affected. 

The budget for Jingle and kids probably is shrinking. They can do without.

And maybe mental illness is there.

Meh why these people live rent free in my head??!

• Love 12

I wonder if Jeremy realizes time is ticking, and he's edging towards the end of his free ride. At some point, he has to put on his big boy pants, settle into a job and pay his own rent. I think he fully expected to make bank as an influencer, and that plan went up in flames. 

Whatever's going on, it seems like the catalyst was Evy's birth. Up to that point, they appeared to be relatively happy, even in quarantine. Since then, things appear strained, and it feels much deeper than the typical stress couples experience transitioning from one to two kids. It'll be interesting to see how things play out.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Useful 4
  • Love 16

I agree with @Zella, Jing and Jer are the face of their shop and they need to do right by their costumers. But I also doubt some, maybe even all, of the claims. There definitely is a small group of haters out there who seem to make it their mission to make life difficult for the Vuolos. There's nothing stopping them from making false claims. These aren't delicate glass jar candles, they're cement. 

As for Jer's MacDaddy status, I have no clue. None of it made sense from the get-go. The only thing I can think of is Jeremy is "that student with TV fame". In other words, MacArthur doesn't even really know who Jeremy is and its the lower level MacDaddians supporting Jer, still crossing their fingers the 'empire' can benefit from him somehow. Maybe they're setting Jeremy up for some type of SM evangelist using Jinger's million plus followers. (I'm not saying that it would be successful) Also maybe Jing and Jer are paying something for their place now. Maybe they're paying the taxes and utilities or some other version of subsidized rent.

As far as no kids on SM anymore, I'm going with they're copying Cade and Gabby. Even though it makes no sense because the Vuolo kids will be front and center on the show. As the Vuolos have shown, they're not the brightest, even if they are the "breakout stars".

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 13
On 3/19/2021 at 10:55 PM, iwantcookies said:

CE6F5B5E-1EE3-4C9B-A0DF-F3556B47668E.jpeg

I cannot attach one measly screen shot. Last time I’m doing this. Sorry ! 

He got 12 books. 

While this seems relatively tame on the surface, the fact that he has 12 brand-new books ticks me off.  Is he actually reading them or using them to make himself look smart?  Were they given to him free or did he pay for them?  Because if one really wants to read lots of books and is on a budget, there's this cool place called a library where you get books for free, read them, and return them.  I think he just wants to come across as this scholarly brilliant mind but he's just a tool who orders books for display because he's got a reputation as a "reader."

11 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Wow, I just checked out Reddit and those customers are pissed. I'm going to lay the blame with Jeremy. All these stupid fly-by-night ventures are his idea. What is he so busy doing all day that he can't answer emails and keep people updated? Do they actually keep stock and fill orders themselves or is all this stuff drop-shipped from some crappy factory in China? Either way, it's a disaster and he should've known better. 

Jeremy's just the idea guy.  The actual work is not his concern.  However, considering his latest several ideas are "on hold," you really do have to wonder what is going on behind the scenes.  I get the vibe that he just assumed he'd be able to make a great income based on either his wife's popularity or his own charisma, studly good looks, and brilliant mind.  If he's not getting the results he expected, I can see him wandering around his free LA pad wondering how to fix it, while Jinger is caring for two kids and Jeremy's ego and having to maintain their IG-worthy life because that's what Jeremy expects her to do.  And if Jinger is suffering from PPD, would she even have the mindset to seek help?  If her husband is a narcissist, that's not something he'd want to publicize because it would make the illusion of their perfect life seem tarnished.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 14

Whenever I see a photo of Jinger, she has this look on her face like she's seriously concerned for her future.  It only got stronger after the 2nd baby.  I really hope it's not PPD.  If it is, I do hope she is getting the help and support she needs.

• Love 12
11 hours ago, Zella said:

He'd need to get a job first before he could use that excuse. 🤣

"Babe, gotta stay out late taking pics of my sneakers. Catch you later."

Well, you know those night shots of sneakers can be very effective. 🤪

I don't know what he/they really expected to accomplish with either the podcast or the ecommerce store. Both those enterprises give notoriously low returns for most people.

What I've heard from people who do them is that a podcast can help your visibility some -- with a whole lot of work and over a long period of time -- if your business/profession involves selling your expertise...and if your podcast demonstrates that expertise and shows you've got interesting prominent connections in your field.

But almost no podcasts produce much money. And Jer doesn't have a profession that involves selling his expert services to individuals or organizations. The only way he could see a tangible payoff  is if the podcast worked as a credential when he looks for a job. But he most likely won't be looking for a job for a couple years yet. Plus, he's a boring podcaster who doesn't demonstrate much expertise at all. Or have many guests except Duggars, who do attract listeners, but probably not very many who are interested in hearing Jer's wisdom. They want to hear Meeechelle's.  

And having a small ecommerce business is renowned for being more or less a pain in the butt while producing very little income. So it's hard to see why they even started that. Surely his "business" representative/consultant (or representatives/consultants) would have told him that it wasn't a good money-making venture.

I guess it doesn't surprise me that they're on hiatus from these things. What surprises me is that they thought they'd accomplish anything in the first place. 

And now the book is coming up. And that one baffles me, too. I'm twice as old as Jer, I come from a somewhat dramatic messed-up background, and I have a few fairly interesting accomplishments . But I can't imagine how I would fill a frigging book-length manuscript with personal stuff that would be interesting and helpful to people. Once they get past "have a God-centered marriage and tell your wife about all your temptations," I don't see what the Vuolos have to say that readers will find wise or insightful. And where are they going to get interesting stories to tell? If anything, they seem to do less stuff than the average person. A book is long. And you can't just repeat the same things over and over.

Even if they were interesting thinkers and had lived interesting lives, this would be awfully early in life to write a whole memoir/autobiography-type advice book, seems to me. I'm sure they'll make a bit of money from it. The leghumpers will rush out to buy. But hardly anybody makes much money from a nonfiction book. And what does writing a book that bores people silly do for your reputation? 

If you plan to build some grand castle, you'd better spend time and effort putting some foundations under it first. I don't think Jer's ever had the patience or the energy to build anything from the ground up. And JIngle has been left in the dark about accomplishment her whole life. So she just follows his lead. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 17

Is Jeremy even attending school right now?  When is he supposedly graduating?  Because for a guy with a wife, two kids and seminary school, he sure has a lot of free time to pose pensively at the beach, pondering the meaning of life and the best way to position himself so he can show off his shoes.

• LOL 5
  • Love 11
11 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

What I've heard from people who do them is that a podcast can help your visibility some -- with a whole lot of work and over a long period of time -- if your business/profession involves selling your expertise...and if your podcast demonstrates that expertise and shows you've got interesting prominent connections in your field.

In Jeremy's perspective, he probably sees himself as having expertise as a preacher, and interesting prominent connections by way of MacArthur, the Duggars, and Cade/Gabby. I don't think the podcast was a bad idea on its face, but it failed because Jeremy and Jinger are terrible at podcasting (and at preaching). So nobody wanted to listen... and the podcast needed to take off for the merch to take off.

The book makes no sense to me, because even in the ad copy, it's like, "you've seen this all before on Counting On!" Why would I want a regurgitation of a boring reality show?

I also hate that this idea that they're willing to "suffer" through the trials and tribulations of... falling in love and having babies (?!) because they are waiting for their ~real~ reward in heaven. These poor martyred saints, having to.... fall in love and have babies 🙄

• LOL 9
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I agree with @Zella, Jing and Jer are the face of their shop and they need to do right by their costumers. But I also doubt some, maybe even all, of the claims. There definitely is a small group of haters out there who seem to make it their mission to make life difficult for the Vuolos. There's nothing stopping them from making false claims. These aren't delicate glass jar candles, they're cement. 

As for Jer's MacDaddy status, I have no clue. None of it made sense from the get-go. The only thing I can think of is Jeremy is "that student with TV fame". In other words, MacArthur doesn't even really know who Jeremy is and its the lower level MacDaddians supporting Jer, still crossing their fingers the 'empire' can benefit from him somehow. Maybe they're setting Jeremy up for some type of SM evangelist using Jinger's million plus followers. (I'm not saying that it would be successful) Also maybe Jing and Jer are paying something for their place now. Maybe they're paying the taxes and utilities or some other version of subsidized rent.

As far as no kids on SM anymore, I'm going with they're copying Cade and Gabby. Even though it makes no sense because the Vuolo kids will be front and center on the show. As the Vuolos have shown, they're not the brightest, even if they are the "breakout stars".

That's a good point about the possibility of the claims being partially or completely false. I'm inclined to believe them if only because the Vuolo reaction of not responding to them and closing up shop so quickly, but it could be less correlation than it looks like. I do think that they are clearly over the shop,  and if it's not because of them dealing with a lot of legitimate disgruntled customers, it becomes even more mysterious. Maybe it was just it was way more work than they anticipated, which is hilariously inept! 

It just dawned on me that their little website note only says orders will not be fulfilled until March 26, not even that you can resume ordering on that day. I wonder if they are going to try to finalize whatever outstanding orders remain before nuking the shop and pretending like it didn't happen.

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

Is Jeremy even attending school right now?  When is he supposedly graduating?  Because for a guy with a wife, two kids and seminary school, he sure has a lot of free time to pose pensively at the beach, pondering the meaning of life and the best way to position himself so he can show off his shoes.

Re: Jer's graduation time. By my calculations (which could easily be wrong), he's schedule to graduate in spring of 2023. 

But the program he's in is packed with courses, so the pace isn't as slow as it seems. I doubt there's a whole lot of pensive posing going on among any students who are the scholarly type and want to really master the curriculum. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

It just dawned on me that their little website note only says orders will not be fulfilled until March 26, not even that you can resume ordering on that day. I wonder if they are going to try to finalize whatever outstanding orders remain before nuking the shop and pretending like it didn't happen.

this was all so predictable from the moment Jer and Jing met with Jer and Aud Roloff. they have followed the exact pattern. Podcast/book/Silly slogan to try and sell merchandise. When the Hope and Stead site started it was doomed to a 1/2 off clearance sale just like "Always More". Jer V still doesn't get that people are only interested in him at all because he is Mr Jinger Duggar. Their followers do not really care about his food, shoes, books, fountain pens etc. they want to see of pics Jing and the kids. Hate followers want to see Jing escaping the cult in some way.

• Love 16

I searched Jeremy Vuolo on Amazon and right under his new book there is another book.  It's titled Focus On: America's 100 most famous soccer players.  And Jeremy's name is there.  I was shocked since I thought he only played for a few short years.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I think there is something going on for sure, but I can't tell if it's RFP and Jinger flitting from idea to idea without any work ethic or follow through, extremely poor advisors getting them into things they can't manage or aren't interested in, something with the new baby. or what. But this is a weird situation all around and not how anyone in their right mind should be preparing for a book launch. 

• Love 13
13 minutes ago, louannems said:

I searched Jeremy Vuolo on Amazon and right under his new book there is another book.  It's titled Focus On: America's 100 most famous soccer players.  And Jeremy's name is there.  I was shocked since I thought he only played for a few short years.

It looks like it consists of the players actual Wikipedia pages, and this poser doesn't deserve to be in a book with David fucking Beckham to name one of the players mentioned.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
15 minutes ago, louannems said:

It's not a real book. Note the author on the listing is "Wikipedia Contributors." It's a Kindle book some scammer put together by throwing Wiki articles together and is hoping they can sell to somebody who doesn't notice it's not real.  

Just now, galaxygirl76 said:

It looks like it consists of the players actual Wikipedia pages, and this poser doesn't deserve to be in a book with David fucking Beckham to name one of the players mentioned.

You beat me to it! I notice it is from 2018. Jeremy is only there because by that point he is a Counting On "star." The dubious honor of being included in this book has nothing to do with his ability as a soccer star. 

• Useful 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

It's not a real book. Note the author on the listing is "Wikipedia Contributors." It's a Kindle book some scammer put together by throwing Wiki articles together and is hoping they can sell to somebody who doesn't notice it's not real.  

That makes sense, because David Beckham isn't an American soccer player.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 12
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Full disclosure here, I own a Manchester United jersey with his name on it. Jeremy ain't no David Beckham. 

Not gonna lie, my main association with David Beckham is he is married to Posh Spice. So, anytime he's mentioned, the 90s kid who lives in my brain remembers the Spice Girls were a thing. LOLOL

Oh God, I didn't think this until I typed that last post, but maybe Jeremy all along has thought he was going to be the Christian David Beckham and Jinger was his Fundie Posh Spice?!?! If so, he's even more delusional than I thought. 

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Honestly, spending four years in an unaccredited master's program makes no sense to me. What will it qualify him for?

Well, it'll qualify him to be pastor of any church that goes with conservative evangelical Calvinism and doesn't have issues with MacArthur and his version of same. Calvinism's been an expanding trend among evangelicals, including Baptists, for a long time now, and I haven't heard that that's waned yet. So a fairly large percentage of evangelical churches will hire a Calvinist these days. 

And it'll also qualify him to work for a lot of other Master's Seminary grads, either in churches or in some nonprofits. There are a lot of those guys out there, and while some have soured on MacArthur and so might not want to hire any of his pets, others definitely remain supporters. So there's a fairly substantial old boys' network, including some pretty influential guys with jobs they can hand out. 

He can also fight tooth and nail to stay within the MacArthur enterprise. And with his demonstrated (but completely baffling to me) suck-up talents, I expect this is what he really wants to do. And he may succeed. 

Demographics are beginning to work against all these seminary people now, of course, since the church-leaving trend has reached the fundie-evangelical world.  And that's only likely to get more pronounced with time. He'd better get quickly ensconced somewhere he'd like to stay because any divinity degree is pretty much guaranteed to lose value as the years go on, I would bet. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 3
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, Churchhoney said:

And it'll also qualify him to work for a lot of other Master's Seminary grads, either in churches or in some nonprofits. There are a lot of those guys out there, and while some have soured on MacArthur and so might not want to hire any of his pets, others definitely remain supporters. So there's a fairly substantial old boys' network, including some pretty influential guys with jobs they can hand out. 

If Jeremy were smart, instead of alienating his current classmates by constantly rubbing in how he is a favorite of Mac Daddy and TPTB, he would spend more time networking with his peers or at least trying to make an effort to build a relationship with them. Because if his relationship with Mac Daddy inevitably sours and he is cut off from the good old boys club, I doubt his classmates he has ignored for years at this point are going to rush to his aid either. 

• Love 22
27 minutes ago, Zella said:

If Jeremy were smart, instead of alienating his current classmates by constantly rubbing in how he is a favorite of Mac Daddy and TPTB, he would spend more time networking with his peers or at least trying to make an effort to build a relationship with them. Because if his relationship with Mac Daddy inevitably sours and he is cut off from the good old boys club, I doubt his classmates he has ignored for years at this point are going to rush to his aid either. 

Ain't it the truth. 

"IF Jeremy were smart": Why do I think this may be the key to most of the issues that are emerging here?

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 21
4 hours ago, awaken said:

In the Washington post today!  Preachers and their expensive sneakers-  wonder if Jeremy has seen the article.  He’s attempting to follow in these guys’ footsteps. https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2021/03/22/preachers-sneakers-instagram-wealth/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0-UqEpA9CUIbp3xW8KH61glF766fGvZElYjgmwuLrNT9rLbZ6GRXJPjn8

That is an interesting article. Jeremy will fit right in with these well dressed clergy...except maybe their preaching doesn't bore the listener like Jeremy's does. I am frankly, sickened by greedy pastors. To me, these kinds of churches smack of MLMs  and happy clappy, showy "look at me" entertainment. I was taught that church is for worshiping God. Not the pastor, certainly not his suit or his shoes. Where is the humility? No wonder I stopped going. Many churches have become political and too much of a show for my taste. 

Edited by BetyBee
Rewording is tricky
  • Love 20
3 hours ago, awaken said:

In the Washington post today!  Preachers and their expensive sneakers-  wonder if Jeremy has seen the article.  He’s attempting to follow in these guys’ footsteps. https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2021/03/22/preachers-sneakers-instagram-wealth/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0-UqEpA9CUIbp3xW8KH61glF766fGvZElYjgmwuLrNT9rLbZ6GRXJPjn8

A year or two ago, somebody noticed that Jer followed either the instagram account mentioned in this article or another one just like it. Probably still does. Since then he's clearly shown that he aspires to be like the shoe wearers, not like their skeptics! 👟👞👟👞

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 4
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, Zella said:

^^Wise words indeed.

There's an old saying: be nice to people you meet on your way up, because you're certain to meet them again on your way down

Judging by Jer's SM content, if he does hang with his classmates, it's not something he wants the world to know. He's def not bragging on that in the way that he's happy to post golf games and clothes shopping with The Suits. 

If Jer's idea of networking is just to focus on people he perceives as having more power than he does, he's missing the boat.

Heck, long ago, at a crisis point in my own life and career I made a life and career-saving move, by applying for and getting a job. I heard about it via somebody's dental assistant who passed along the news of the job opening to someone I knew, and when I walked in for the interview, sitting across the table was yet another person I was acquainted with. She had worked for the same organization as I had a few years earlier, although in the office in another town. No "big shot" connections got me the news, or the interview, or the job. It was just "regular people" and same-level colleagues I knew - and had behaved in a friendly manner toward - that got my foot in the door and gave me the chance to compete. 

And, @Churchhoney wins the internet today by noting the significance of "If Jeremy were smart . . . "  🤣

• Love 19
5 hours ago, awaken said:

I came here to post this, too. For those who get stopped by a paywall, a quote from the article, about the owner of the Instagram account:

'As the Instagram account grew, Kirby started asking more serious questions about wealth, class and consumerism, including whether it’s appropriate to generate massive revenue from selling the gospel of Jesus.

“I began asking, how much is too much?” Kirby said. “Is it okay to get rich off of preaching about Jesus? Is it okay to be making twice as much as the median income of your congregation?”'

1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

A year or two ago, somebody noticed that Jer followed either the instagram account mentioned in this article or another one just like it. Probably still does. Since then he's clearly shown that he aspires to be like the shoe wearers, not like their skeptics! 👟👞👟👞

I don't think Jeremy understands the point of the Instagram account.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
48 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I don't think Jeremy understands the point of the Instagram account.

I remember us discussing this here, and we were puzzled. At that time he hadn't advertised buys of a lot of expensive athletic shoes yet. And since he was following the account, the first thing that occurred to most of us was that he must approve of the account owner's position, as virtually everybody who commented on the guy's account did. But even though Jer wasn't the ardent athletic-shoe-poser then that he's become since, there was still a lot of cognitive dissonance around that idea. (This may have happened back when he mainly seemed to try to dress like a wealthy, elderly K Street lawyer......)

I think we mostly decided that, yeah, he either really doesn't get what the account is about. Or he's so fond of the shoes and other fancy paraphernalia that he just ignores the account owner's point of view to concentrate on the "pastors'" conspicuous fashion wealth.

I guess the account's ultimate effect on Jer has been to inspire him to accumulate a big collection of fancy shoes. To heck with those stuffy ideas about flaunted wealth and stinted charity and arrogance and all that!.....

He definitely is following John M's model.....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Regarding the books: 

he tagged the company so I think he got them for free

the books are religious. I doubt the library has them

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, rue721 said:

Honestly, spending four years in an unaccredited master's program makes no sense to me. What will it qualify him for?

Exactly what he had before. Working in a tiny church in the middle of nowhere. Or selling sneakers at foot locker. I can’t picture Jeremy working in Starbucks. 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

the books are religious. I doubt the library has them

Libraries have religious books, and libraries can get items they don't have through ILL. Granted, the ILL system has been in disarray due to the pandemic, but it has been resumed in a limited form. Worldcat shows copies of at least two of those books at the UCLA library.

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8