Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, SMama said:

Now you love books? How did this young woman make it through school without falling in love with books?

Well, she was "schooled" (and we use the term loosely) by people who hated books. And she was allowed to look at or hear about a really really really limited set of books, most of which were boring and empty and nutso as all get-out. And even the people who foisted those books on her insisted that there was nothing to even their chosen books except rote memorization. So..... she saw the worst of books and heard the worst about them. Not surprising that they didn't catch on with her.

If Jeremy reads better books and actually is interested in what they say and talks to her about them with some spark and interest, then I could easily see how this could happen.

I'm a massive book lover, but I got all my book stuff from school when I was a kid because the parts of my family that I knew were very anti-book. My school was abysmal at teaching social studies and history. So I really was not a fan at all. Later, though, I started hearing interesting things about history and seeing interesting history books -- and I started devouring history books and lectures and videos. I love history now, and I wish someone had shown me what it was really like when I was a kid. Same thing as the Jinger story. I'm hoping, anyway.

• Love 20
59 minutes ago, truebluesmoky said:

IMG_2567.PNG

Jinger and Jeremy really have little in common.  I fear that he is going to become intellectually bored with her sooner or later.  

• Love 5

What a shame that Jinger couldn't enjoy books as a child. I was actually at a book store yesterday and saw a young girl get exited when her parents agreed to buy her a poetry book she had fallen in love with.

The first books I fell in love with as a kid were Harry Potter and I got exited whenever a new one was released. Even to this day I reread them and they make me remember my childhood and how happy those books made me. 

It makes me sad how pathetic their childhoods and education must have been.

• Love 17
On 5/27/2017 at 11:13 PM, Adeejay said:

The picture of the crew was taken in the vicinity of East 11th Street and Union Square, which is Greenwich Village, not the Lower East Side (as captioned).  The LES is roughly located between the Bowery and the East River, and Canal Street and Houston Street.  And, it most definitely wasn't taken this week, because it's been rainy and cool here in NYC all week. 

Thank you, I thought they had the neighborhood wrong!

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Marigold said:

Someone on Pickles FB page observed that the picture of Jinger in the purple dress & leggings, is from the fall.  Note the leaves all over the ground. That would explain the long leggings and cool weather overall look.  I didn't notice the leaves on the ground at all.  These Duggars are so tricky. You really have to tear apart their pictures.  Nothing is as it seems.

The picture with the chess set is probably from November, too. On their honeymoon episode she was wearing the same flannel dress and leggings right before they went to the airport. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SMama said:

How did this young woman make it through school without falling in love with books? 

Going through school made me fall out of love with books and reading . I hated being forced to read something I had a) no interest in (Effi-fucking-Briest ) or b) enjoyed in general but had to pick a good story apart because I had to find the author's intention or interpret it as homework or exam . 

• Love 4

No offense to Jinger, but the way she wrote the caption for the one picture reminds me of a mindset of a first grader learning to write sentences. Sad she has to learn about reading from her husband instead of her parents. She should be able to learn and do new things on her own.

41 minutes ago, lianau said:

Going through school made me fall out of love with books and reading . I hated being forced to read something I had a) no interest in (Effi-fucking-Briest ) or b) enjoyed in general but had to pick a good story apart because I had to find the author's intention or interpret it as homework or exam . 

Right there with you. NYS has some curriculum abomination called 'Reading ' for ... 8th? Grade. I could never crack 85, and my parents, especially my mother, never let me hear the end of it. 'How can you be getting B minus in reading? You read all the time! You could read the newspaper aloud before age 3!' In vain did I flounder and never know how to explain. Now with the benefits of hindsight I know as a writer, I suck at whatever the textbook says is the 'Main Idea', because I am a deep thinker and give too much leniency to 'authorial intent'.  (Plus, I think it had massive grammar units also.). My mother would always complain like she thought it was 'speed read and then click a stopwatch'.

• Love 4

Jinger is the blankest slate of them all, isn't she? Even half brain-dead Joy has expressed likes and dislikes of her own. Michelle knew what she was talking about when she described Jinger as a follower.

As I lover of books myself, I don't mind that others aren't into reading. What I do mind is not having any interests at all until someone else tell you to.  I guarantee that any reading that Jinger is doing now is going right over her head, and she doesn't form any opinions at all, just waits to hear what Jeremy says and then enthusiastically agrees. That might change, but considering she's exhibited zero personality other than making funny faces, falling deep into infatuation, and acting like a spoiled brat when a professional chef told her to stop being rude....eh, don't hold out much hope for any growth in brain power, there.

2 hours ago, Mollie said:

Jinger and Jeremy really have little in common.  I fear that he is going to become intellectually bored with her sooner or later.  

I find that it goes one of two ways with men like Jeremy who marry girls like Jinger. He either will become bored with her and that might lead to other problems down the line; or he'll forever be thrilled at being the undisputed leader in all ways because his wife will never have the ability to challenge him (or they'll have problems if she does ever challenge him.  This is all assuming he's any kind of intellectual and not just eager to learn all the ways to best attract followers, of course. I don't consider anyone who only reads about one worldview of one topic to be particularly intellectual, and have we seen any evidence that he reads about anything other than Christianity?

• Love 3

Welp, the Mitsubishi plane landed in Laredo this morning. I guess this means hoardsof Duggars -like least the Seewalds and Boobchelle - have descended on JinJer for filming now that wedding planning and the six month moratorium are over.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Welp, the Mitsubishi plane landed in Laredo this morning. I guess this means hoardsof Duggars -like least the Seewalds and Boobchelle - have descended on JinJer for filming now that wedding planning and the six month moratorium are over.

Maybe a pregnancy announcement too. I mean, they got nothin' else.

• Love 6

I think Jinger might be pregnant as well. Newly pregnant since there is no visible belly in any of the wedding pictures. It may be the reason they are posting throwback pictures. Maybe JD is dropping off the Vuolo's back home.

• Love 5
(edited)

Oh man, I bet you're right.

I saw no plane record going to Laredo, so I assumed they drove, but Flight Aware sometimes doesn't alert w/r/t flight plans.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
(edited)

It also just occurred to me that if JD or Josiah was just flying JinJer back, they could have taken the smaller plane. That's what I think TLC is filming the six month bit, albeit almost a month late. I now think that if there was a pregnancy announcement, she would have done it with the whole family, as seems to be tradition.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
(edited)

Jeremy brought it up when Jinger moved her stuff down to Waco, but he's too clever to use that wording. However, his intention was clear. He wanted to spend that time with his wife, without intrusions from her family. 

He got what he wanted. They went on the Ohio/Tennessee trip on the stink bus, and I think they went to Waco with Jessa and her "tribe," but other than that, contact seems to have been limited to FaceTime.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, McManda said:

I know people hate on Jeremy, but I think so far Jinger win the husband game.

Personally I think Jeremy would be way to conservative for me, but compared to Derek, Ben, and JB he's downright progressive.  He's done things that I think are good for helping Jinger get away from being completely indoctrinated into Duggville - the six month ban on visitors, introducing her to new things and experiences, allowing her to be her own person and not one of the nineteen, not knocking her up the second night of their honeymoon - that I can't shit on him too hard. 

Plus, they're the only Dugger couple that I see any heat from. Jill/Derek and Ben/Jessa had something before they got married, but as soon as that sexual tension went away it fizzled. I don't think that's hastened with Jinger and Jeremy so far.

He's also - subjectively - the most attractive of the three four, so he's got that going for him, too. (Disclaimer, tall , dark, and bearded tends to be my thing, though.)

I agree with all your points. I don't think Jeremy will try to crush Jinger's spirit, he's a functional adult (unlike Ben) and I genuinely believe they LIKE each other as individuals. As far as husbands go he's certainly #1 pick in my book and then Ben would be #2 (it's not his fault he is young, he's decent looking and seems to be pleasant to be around). 

• Love 8
(edited)

If Jinger does get pregnant I hope they move back East, closer to the Vuolos. Chuck and Di would make much better grandparents than Boob and Michelle, and Jinger would be relatively close to Philly and NYC. They'd also be near Jeremy's friends and Grandma, who are loads more fun than those boring ass Duggars. 

Despite some weird sermons, I agree about Jeremy. Jinger seems truly happy and you can't fake that.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4
33 minutes ago, PinkyCupcake said:

Can someone refresh my memory - where did the 6 month ban on visitors come from? I mean, was it speculation, or was it explicitly stated?

Jeremy imposed the moratorium when bossy Jessa decided to turn his office into a guest room.  The nerves of that woman!

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

If Jinger does get pregnant I hope they move back East, closer to the Vuolos. Chuck and Di would make much better grandparents than Boob and Michelle, and Jinger would be relatively close to Philly and NYC. They'd also be near Jeremy's friends and Grandma, who are loads more fun than those boring ass Duggars. 

Despite some weird sermons, I agree about Jeremy. Jinger seems truly happy and you can't fake that.

OMG, I never noticed that they are are Charles and Diana! They probably got married around the same time, given that Jeremy is the baby, and the Vuolo kids are fairly close in age (Charles/Chuck Jr. being the oldest at around 35). LOL

• Love 5

As a book nerd and an English teacher, I like that Jinger is discovering a love for books--and I love that she's getting a chance to decide whether or not she likes reading.  Jeremy initiated or not, just having an opportunity to sit down and read is a big step.  I discovered my love for books in elementary school because our teachers encouraged silent reading and library time.  My school library just happened to have every Babysitters Club book ever written, so I was lucky in that aspect and it shaped my love of literature and eventually my career choice.  Jinger and her siblings didn't have that opportunity so I'm glad that Jeremy is encouraging her.

That being said, I don't think everyone should love books. It's a matter of personal preference.  I know people who are extremely educated but would rather do anything other than open a book.  They would rather be outside doing things, while I'd rather be inside dreaming.  I can't knock anyone for not liking books. 

• Love 21
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

It also just occurred to me that if JD or Josiah was just flying JinJer back, they could have taken the smaller plane. That's what I think TLC is filming the six month bit, albeit almost a month late. I now think that if there was a pregnancy announcement, she would have done it with the whole family, as seems to be tradition.

The Cessna flew to the Alert Academy on May 27 and stayed for two days.  (That's where Anna's sister Priscilla and her husband David Waller live.  That plane can only carry three passengers.  It flew back to Springdale on May 29 and arrived about 5:00 pm.

(edited)

It also flew back from Big Sandy yesterday after flying in on Saturday. Did JD make a congratulatory message to Joy and Austin? I remember Josiah being in one. This one had my head scratching Maybe  Smuggar off at the Wallers for a few days so he wouldn't be a distraction at Joy's wedding? ;)

Edited by Sew Sumi
6 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Maybe someone dropped Smuggar off there for a few days so he wouldn't be a distraction at Joy's wedding. ;)

I think the Smuggs has gotten too big to hide his face behind a baby as he did at a previous Duggar wedding.

• Love 2

A book lover in theory,or one in practice? I get that she might think books must be a great thing if she sees Jeremy drawn to them. Hopefully that might somehow translate to at least being intrigued by the concept of reading for enjoyment..Baby steps...

• Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, frenchtoast said:

I just can't get past the cup of coffee in his hand next to a library book. GAH!!!

There are some libraries with Starbucks *in* them.  I mourn that change less than I do the loss of quiet rules, though.  Bring back shushing librarians!

At any rate I would say that this is a sign Jeremy has been bigging up books as an entity while in her presence, lol.

ETA:  @RedheadZombie, one glorious year in elementary school my class's "library day" was Friday.  Best year of my K-12 days, without a doubt.  It still looms large in my memory, haha.  I think that was the year I read Pride and Prejudice.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Back in the dark ages, I remember dancing in joyful anticipation each time the mail was delivered.  It could be my new delivery of Dr. Seuss books.  There were also the weekly visits to the library which would end in a stack of books taller than me being checked out.  My mom also tells stories of how I would beg her, "please just one more, Mommy", and she would read aloud until her voice was hoarse. 

But then I was an adopted only child, and I had loving and indulgent parents whose goal was to expand my mind.  And they were blue-collar high school drop outs.  You don't need a good education to provide a good education to your children, morons. 

OMG.....Sooooo many likes for this!!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, EmeraldGirl said:

I think Jeremy looks hot in that picture. 

That's all I've got. 

I think Jeremy is gorgeous in photos.  But in action, walking and talking ....... not so much.  I don't care for the metrosexual super grooming, and the overly fussy skinny jeans and label conscious dress shirts buttoned up to his Adam's apple.  It makes him a little effeminate to me, and kills the sex appeal.  In other words, I think Jinger probably has to wait for HIM to get ready, has 10% of the closet and dresser space, uses 1/10th of the personal hygiene products, and has to fight for a chance to get a place at the vanity.  He's the beauty in the family, and I get the impression he spends a lot of time gazing at his own reflection.  Which makes me suspect she married her BFF Jessa.  

12 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

A book lover in theory,or one in practice? I get that she might think books must be a great thing if she sees Jeremy drawn to them. Hopefully that might somehow translate to at least being intrigued by the concept of reading for enjoyment..Baby steps...

I will be impressed with Jinger's newfound love of reading when I see her reading a book that isn't about religion, or a book that wasn't obviously recommended by her headship.   I don't see Jeremy indulging Jinger to be her own person.  I see her being indulged to mirror him and his interests.  

• Love 22
1 minute ago, RedheadZombie said:

I think Jeremy is gorgeous in photos.  But in action, walking and talking ....... not so much.  I don't care for the metrosexual super grooming, and the overly fussy skinny jeans and label conscious dress shirts buttoned up to his Adam's apple.  It makes him a little effeminate to me, and kills the sex appeal.  In other words, I think Jinger probably has to wait for HIM to get ready, has 10% of the closet and dresser space, uses 1/10th of the personal hygiene products, and has to fight for a chance to get a place at the vanity.  He's the beauty in the family, and I get the impression he spends a lot of time gazing at his own reflection.  Which makes me suspect she married her BFF Jessa.  

I will be impressed with Jinger's newfound love of reading when I see her reading a book that isn't about religion, or a book that wasn't obviously recommended by her headship.   I don't see Jeremy indulging Jinger to be her own person.  I see her being indulged to mirror him and his interests.  

I might just love you after your last couple of posts!

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

DING DING DING!

• Love 7
9 hours ago, SMama said:

Now you love books? How did this young woman make it through school without falling in love with books? How sad that when the Duggars were uninterested in reading, so was Jinger. Now Jeremy helps her learn to love books. Has Jinger ever had an original thought? I wonder who told her to love photography. At least there is some hope for their kids.

This young woman has never been to school.

• Love 7

You've gotta start somewhere, though. I just can't let myself be completely hopeless about any of the spouses (I admit I have less hope for the Gothardy spouses, Anna and Austin, but nevertheless...). They all have big obvious flaws, but the Duggarlings being what they are none of them will move an inch on their own, so their only shot is whatever movement comes from the spouses. And Der, Bin and Jer, flawed as they may be, are still introducing them to things they wouldn't have otherwise experienced. And decent progress can come from tiny movements over time. Some people will get a taste for new things, a taste for freedom even, if they get to experience even a little bit of it. So maybe it'll happen here. Maybe it'll happen for more than one of them. They're not dead yet. 

• Love 12

I hope Jeremy introduces Jinger to some classics. I don't want her entire reading experience to be religious analysis, which is what Jeremy seems to enjoy, based on his IG post with the stack of books. A different slant on what she's learned would be great, but IMO, it can't be everything. Someone send her a bodice ripper to the chruch's address. :D

She can even read a biography about someone she really admires, maybe a composer or something, just to mix it up some, and I don't think Jeremy would mind, and he shouldn't criticize at this stage. I don't think she's ready for the depth of reading that Jeremy is used to after four years of college and a year of grad school, then what seems to me, serious self-taught pastoral study. Frankly, that also scares me, since he could be interpreting texts incorrectly. 

But I agree that the EXAMPLE of reading seems to be a benefit to Jinger the Follower. 

• Love 4