Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Powersuit

• Start Topic

(edited)

Daya and Aleida have such a dysfunctional relationship, but hell if their last scene didn't get to me.

It's fun to see the dynamics with the old and new inmates changing. Now the old inmates aren't as powerful as they think they are. 

Damn, I can't believe I was actually on Healy's side in regard to the Judy King treatment. I know Caputo has his hands tied and he's trying to make everyone happy, but Healy makes a good point. But hell if I wasn't laughing at Judy King's reaction to Healy's racism and misogyny. 

I still feel bad for Pennsatucky, who is trying hard to keep her eye out on Coates and Maritza. 

I liked seeing Maria's backstory a little bit. I loved seeing Yadriel again, and seeing how that relationship formed. 

I really like that Piper's new roommate doesn't take her shit. I also like that about Cindy's roommate. And Red's roommate is fun too. Those three are definitely my favourites of the new inmates. 

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 7

I'm a little confused about Maria gaining power (?) just because she organized the white bullies to be beaten up. Unfortunately there weren't any subtitles, so I'm sure that I'm missing a lot of information.

"Do you like ducks?" made me laugh until I cried, I'm such a geek! And I'm guessing that Caputo is going to end sleeping with Board Roam Lady.

10 minutes ago, EvilApplesauce said:

I'm a little confused about Maria gaining power (?) just because she organized the white bullies to be beaten up. Unfortunately there weren't any subtitles, so I'm sure that I'm missing a lot of information.

Ruiz's backstory was that she didn't give care for her father's national pride as she grew up, and she got kicked out for hooking up with a Mexican boy.  She was pointing out in the TV room that the Dominican soccer team is shit and their coach is Cuban and national pride is bullshit so she doesn't get why you'd bother to watch a World Cup qualifier where they're going to lose anyway.  But it looks like she's coming around to the idea, which is why she's getting support from the other Dominican inmates.  I've only watched up to this episode so far, so it remains to be seen if her actions are out of true national pride or if she's just using that as an excuse to gain some power or maybe she just doesn't want to see a bunch of idiots start a clumsy gang war.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Agent Dark said:

Ruiz's backstory was that she didn't give care for her father's national pride as she grew up, and she got kicked out for hooking up with a Mexican boy.  She was pointing out in the TV room that the Dominican soccer team is shit and their coach is Cuban and national pride is bullshit so she doesn't get why you'd bother to watch a World Cup qualifier where they're going to lose anyway.  But it looks like she's coming around to the idea, which is why she's getting support from the other Dominican inmates.  I've only watched up to this episode so far, so it remains to be seen if her actions are out of true national pride or if she's just using that as an excuse to gain some power or maybe she just doesn't want to see a bunch of idiots start a clumsy gang war.

Thank you so much for the explanation!

(edited)

Who played the younger Ruiz?  Was that the same actress?  It looked like her, but younger.  I went on IMDB to see if maybe it was her daughter, but had no luck.  Well it's a cast of over 800 and I got tired of scrolling.  I guess it could be the same actress, but she's like early 30's, I'm guessing (should go back to IMBD to confirm) I found her totally believable as a young teen, and that makes me think, 1. She's a great actress or 2. I need to find out what her skin care regime is!  The back stories of all the inmate fascinate me.  The actresses chosen to play the younger always resemble, but this was uncanny.  Anyone else?   Off to IMBD for real age confirmation!

Hmmmm.  No date of birth on IMBD.  No dob anywhere!  I'm thinking she may be older than 30's?  Well, it will come to light in time.  Never understood not admitting your age.  You are the age you are.  I'm leaning towards that it was the same actress.  Good for her!  There is more to playing younger than "looking" younger.  She was completely believable to the point where I was thinking it had to be a different person playing the younger version.  

Edited by kathe5133
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Helena Dax said:

What was Piper's sentence? 18 months? She's risking a lot, playing those silly games, but I'm enjoying her power trip. 

I thought it was only a year, so I was thinking "it's gotta be up soon, since Daya got pregnant and has had her baby in that time." Who knows, she'll probably get busted for Dirty Panties Incorporated and get some time added on.

14 hours ago, EvilApplesauce said:

"Do you like ducks?" made me laugh until I cried, I'm such a geek! And I'm guessing that Caputo is going to end sleeping with Board Roam Lady.

I LOVE Ramos! I've always enjoyed her character and, after that scene, she might secretly be my favorite. Aside from the fact that she's so incredibly easy on the eyes, she is absolutely hysterical and makes me laugh almost every time she's on screen. Her comic timing is perfect. "If my feelings weren't buried so deep that they only come out when I watch Stepmom, I'd totally be tearing up right now." I hope we get her backstory soon! We haven't already, have we?

• Love 4

Do you have the captioning turned on?  A lot of the Spanish is subtitled via the closed captioning.

• Love 1

According to IMDB, the actress who played Young Ruiz is named Allison Pena. This was her first credit.

Through way too extensive Google searching (I blame summer vacation and boredom), I found out that Jessica Pimentel graduated from high school in 1995. Assuming she was 18 when she graduated. that makes her around 40 now. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Agent Dark said:

I can't tell what her motivation is. I got the feeling that she saw the national pride as a source of problems for her and her family growing up which is why (I figure) she resisted it in prison - it didn't really help her much. I can't tell if it was watching Bianca get tossed down the steps by the white girls or getting grief for not stepping in to help that triggered her transformation. It was clear in her backstory that Ruiz is smart, both intellectually and street-wise. She may figure that with the new conditions at Litchfield, she may as well be at the top of the food chain in the majority, or it may be that this is who she really is, and she's not fighting it any more. Regardless of the reason for her change, when she came outside and sat down at the table, it was obvious that the transformation was complete and Ruiz is firmly in control of the clique. And I thought "that's gangsta, Piper."

Piper got schooled this episode and I loved every minute of it. I kind of wondered if Red was playing her when she was giving Piper advice, but the advice Red gave was sound. Piper gets just enough "respect" to think she's gangsta (such as taking over the phone), but not enough to be taken seriously by most of the inmates. Her bunk mate wised up quick enough.

8 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

So is Judy supposed to be some kind of cross between Martha Stewart and Paula Deen?

Sure seems that way.

The show is doing a good job of making the overcrowding a viable story; I feel claustrophobic watching it.

And I adore Red. I'd love to see her get out of prison because she's awesome, but I would feel deprived not having her as part of the mix.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, AmandaPanda said:

According to IMDB, the actress who played Young Ruiz is named Allison Pena. This was her first credit.

Through way too extensive Google searching (I blame summer vacation and boredom), I found out that Jessica Pimentel graduated from high school in 1995. Assuming she was 18 when she graduated. that makes her around 40 now. 

There were two young Ruiz's - the little girl in the first scene, and the teenager. There wasn't enough info on Pena to know what her age is, but I think perhaps the teenager was played by Pimentel.

I thought the Daya and Aleida scene at the end was touching. I've lost track - but it's not just Daya's baby who's in foster care now, is it? Aleida had some other young children too, didn't she? So sad.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, junemeatcleaver said:

Do you have the captioning turned on?  A lot of the Spanish is subtitled via the closed captioning.

I watch OITNB from my laptop using Netflix; rarely use the TV since my hubby and I rarely enjoy the same shows lol. But thank you for the suggestion!

1 hour ago, EvilApplesauce said:

I watch OITNB from my laptop using Netflix; rarely use the TV since my hubby and I rarely enjoy the same shows lol. But thank you for the suggestion!

I watch it on my laptop too and have closed captioning on. Works just fine. :)

(edited)
5 hours ago, EvilApplesauce said:

I don't mean to keep derailing the thread, but could you explain how you do this?

On my screen, top right there's a speech bubble icon. If you tap that it brings up subtitle options. 

Edited by Ceindreadh
  • Love 1

I'm glad that Yoga told Judy why she felt uncomfortable being in such a nice room when the rest of the prison was so overcrowded, but I couldn't fault Judy for her explanation that she didn't ask for it but she just said "thank you" instead of refusing it. Heh and I loved when she pointed out that Caputo is an idiot. She's only spent five minutes with him so far and she already knows.

I like that several of the new inmates aren't taking shit from their roommates. Piper's is willing to be her faux muscle but she isn't about to fetch her food. Cindy's is only asking for a place to put her shoes and her stuff. But I feel for Red because trying to sleep while someone is snoring suuuuuucks.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, clanstarling said:

There were two young Ruiz's - the little girl in the first scene, and the teenager. There wasn't enough info on Pena to know what her age is, but I think perhaps the teenager was played by Pimentel.

Yeah, I think Pimentel was playing her own teenage version - I kept getting taken out of the scenes because much as they tried, the actress in no way looks like a 16 year old and it was made worse by putting her next to a (clearly) much younger actress who was playing her friend in the first teenage scene flashback. 

• Love 10
On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 9:17 AM, kathe5133 said:

Who played the younger Ruiz?  Was that the same actress?  It looked like her, but younger.  I went on IMDB to see if maybe it was her daughter, but had no luck.  Well it's a cast of over 800 and I got tired of scrolling.  I guess it could be the same actress, but she's like early 30's, I'm guessing (should go back to IMBD to confirm) I found her totally believable as a young teen, and that makes me think, 1. She's a great actress or 2. I need to find out what her skin care regime is!  The back stories of all the inmate fascinate me.  The actresses chosen to play the younger always resemble, but this was uncanny.  Anyone else?   Off to IMBD for real age confirmation!

Hmmmm.  No date of birth on IMBD.  No dob anywhere!  I'm thinking she may be older than 30's?  Well, it will come to light in time.  Never understood not admitting your age.  You are the age you are.  I'm leaning towards that it was the same actress.  Good for her!  There is more to playing younger than "looking" younger.  She was completely believable to the point where I was thinking it had to be a different person playing the younger version.  

21 hours ago, AmandaPanda said:

The "teenage" version of Ruiz was played by the same actress, Jessica Pimentel. That Allison Pena must have been the child version.

I had a bit of a hard time following the whole Dominicans vs. Mexicans, etc.  Even WITH the closed captioning on.  I definitely need to rewatch it.

Piper is annoying AF.

40 minutes ago, EuropeanGirl said:

I can't wait until Piper gets what she deserves for acting like a boss. I swear, I could watch the show without her and wouldn't mind she was out of the picture.

I would rather watch the show without her. I find everyone else more interesting and likeable - even the bad guys.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, EuropeanGirl said:

Exactly! I wouldn't feel it if they just make her disappear all of the sudden. With explanation or without one, it would be fine by me.

Me too. And TPTB on the show must feel the same way. They must! I guess they can't get rid of her because the whole show is based on the memoirs of the real Piper. However, the real Piper was only in prison for 1 year, which has already expired in the show's timeline. After the first season they should have told the real Piper "thank you very much for the idea, we can take it from here."

• Love 3
(edited)

If I was her, I'd suggest they just make her go away because she ran her course. Like many of you said, all the other characters are much more interesting than she is! I agree with you, Blissfool, they should have made that arrangement.

Edited by EuropeanGirl

I doubt they're keeping Piper Chapman on the show just because she's based on Piper Kerman. Even if there's some sort of strange contract requiring them to continue using the character, they could just let her be in the background, instead of giving her so much screentime.

I think the writers are genuinely interested in the story of what happens to a privileged, sheltered white lady when she winds up behind bars. And it's pretty rare for a series to jettison its main character - I can understand if the powers that be are reluctant.

• Love 2

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that Maria was the first one this season to get a flashback. I always wanted to know more about her and thought that they took an interesting angle with her backstory.

I liked the one scene we got of Poussey and SoSo in this episode.

I wonder why Watson, the former track star, has been getting no screen time. She had no storyline in season 3, and I don't remember seeing her at all this episode, even in the background.

I'm very happy that Sophia's storyline hasn't been dropped, even if Laverne Cox hasn't made an appearance.

Oh Piper...you are a fall from grace waiting to happen.

(edited)

That prison board meeting made me want to hit multiple people in the face with a brick, particularly bitchy clueless lady.  It was a great illustration that evil doesn't always come in mustache twirling villains but also in callous indifference once you stop thinking of the people in your charge as people.

The overcrowding continues to be a character in its own right.  I liked the various characters reminding us and the powers that be of the unjust Sophia situation in a way that felt more powerful than just watching her sit in SHU.  

I can only only hope the inevitable smack down Piper has coming is equal to her level of delusion.  I do enjoy Red's continued trolling of her and am glad her new roommate is able to figure out how to benefit from it without becoming an unthinking yes woman.

I get why they do it, but show, please stop having women in their 30s play themselves in teenage flashbacks surrounded by actual much younger actors.  It's really distracting and takes me completely out of the scene.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 2

Doing my usual slow burn through this show.  I hope Sophia returns soon, glad they haven't forgotten her.  I pretty much enjoy everyone on this show except Piper.  I think she has a wake-up call coming.