Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E11: Invitation Interrupted

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, ryebread said:

But who was comparing them?  I don't think I heard anyone, except Carole, compare books.  Everyone has a right to write.  If one of them was running around saying "My book is just as good as yours" then I'd be LMAO because, yeah, some of the HWs are just writing quick and dirty and comparisons between those and a well written and well received book shouldn't be made.

It's Carole's insistence that unless you pour YEARS into honing your craft and then MORE YEARS writing the book, that you can't possibly be a writer that is so condescending.

Do you guys want to continue discussing this in her thread?  I've had good behavior lately and I don't want to be nicked by our long suffering mods. :-)

I get your points.  I do recall whne that episode aired thinking that Carole was the one who acted like a jerk about Aviva's book initially and then it devolved from there.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

I don't necessarily think that Carole is wrong to be proud of her accomplishment and status as an author. I also understand it if she has uber side eye about books written in the After Housewives timeline. It's the intensity that I'm not a fan of. It's the disapproval that she feels entitled to spray around. I get the disdain cause it's hard when people treat something like a fun hobby that you treat as something much more valuable but it's still not for anyone to express such extreme possession over something that isn't for any one person to own.

It became an issue with Carole when Aviva went from person to person, room to room telling everyone that Carole used a GW on her book, WR.

11 minutes ago, ryebread said:

But who was comparing them?  I don't think I heard anyone, except Carole, compare books.  Everyone has a right to write.  If one of them was running around saying "My book is just as good as yours" then I'd be LMAO because, yeah, some of the HWs are just writing quick and dirty and comparisons between those and a well written and well received book shouldn't be made.

It's Carole's insistence that unless you pour YEARS into honing your craft and then MORE YEARS writing the book, that you can't possibly be a writer that is so condescending.

Do you guys want to continue discussing this in her thread?  I've had good behavior lately and I don't want to be nicked by our long suffering mods. :-)

Carole only compared them when Aviva decided to tell a lie (Carole used a GW) on camera time and time again for a storyline and nothing more.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, shoegal said:

LOL, I guess she should do it anonymously on a message board like a normal person?  I dunno, I guess I can't really fault her for that.  Pot, kettle and all that jazz. 

But I'm not creating a toxic energy in her immediate personal space. I'm not deliberately invading her life as she lives it in order to, in the moment, criticize her just because. I wouldn't do that to someone I know. Friend, co-worker, acquaintance because there's this thing called boundaries, manners and not being too full of yourself that you can't keep from rolling your eyes at every opportunity. But that's just me. I'm more of a Pitcher that dispenses cool and refreshing beverages actually... :-)

• Love 2
1 minute ago, WireWrap said:

It became an issue with Carole when Aviva went from person to person, room to room telling everyone that Carole used a GW on her book, WR.

Carole only compared them when Aviva decided to tell a lie (Carole used a GW) on camera time and time again for a storyline and nothing more.

No it didn't cause Carole's disdain was present when she had her sit down with Aviva that time at lunch.

Can anyone help me cause I can't think of any examples but I think Carole's also snarked on Lu's status as an "author" as well. But then again it just might be that Carole just snarks on the kind of book (about etiquette) she wrote in comparrison  to how she feels about Lu as a person. Not sure.

26 minutes ago, ryebread said:

I hear ya.

• Love 1
Just now, Yours Truly said:

No it didn't cause Carole's disdain was present when she had her sit down with Aviva that time at lunch.

Can anyone help me cause I can't think of any examples but I think Carole's also snarked on Lu's status as an "author" as well. But then again it just might be that Carole just snarks on the kind of book (about etiquette) she wrote in comparrison  to how she feels about Lu as a person. Not sure.

She didn't get nasty until Aviva said that she "heard" that Carole used a GW and that is when Carole got mad. Carole went to Aviva's housewarming party a few days later and was calm until Ramona told her what Aviva was telling every single person there. I believe by that point, Carole realized that Aviva was going to use the GW allegation/lie as her main storyline that season, which made Carole see red. This is also why Heather saw red, she knew what Aviva was up to....Aviva had no storyline of her own other than her book, which at best would be a 2 episode mention and nothing more, so she created the lie about Carole using a GW to make something out of nothing at the expense of a supposed friend/co-worker. It was a premediated act/lie on Aviva's part all to keep her Apple and nothing more.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Yours Truly said:

Exactly! Carole runs around and can't hide her intense disapproval for anyone who isn't "really" a writer according to her but then she turns around and exhibits such ridiculous behavior while on a deadline for a book. If you're going to be that protective about your "craft" and that condescending to others who dabble in it too then hello maybe the first thing we see out of your creative process shouldn't be giggling and bucking for the cameras about how you don't know what a deadline is. Carole is beyond the pale.

Oh and what other irons does Carole have in the fire I wonder?? That goes back to a question regarding what Carole does all day. Plus, being able to afford to be careless doesn't make it any less snarkworthy. Not very professional.

I don't think there are any professional writers who would agree with you on any of this.  Carole reacted badly to Aviva (and I can't believe we're back to this, frankly), not because Aviva was dabbling in writing, but because Aviva was working really, really hard in that sit-down to trivialize Carole's accomplishments.  Writing books for publication is not the same as writing an email.  It takes a lot of time and work and commitment; it's hard.  Even for people to whom writing comes easy, it's hard.  To have someone smirk and suggest that what you've accomplished is really nothing, and that you probably didn't do it yourself anyway, and anyone who can write an email can do it, no prob, is offensive and insufferable.  I don't know what "giggling and bucking" means, so I can't really address that.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Yours Truly said:

Woah there, regardless of all the magical TV gymnastics involved in putting the show in front of the viewers eyes there are still things that are shared straight from the persons buck gummed mouth. Then there's also her blogs.  Not saying she's divulging relationship secrets only that  even as minuscule as some seem to think the information presented is it is still more to go on that anyone would have on any one of us viewers. Just pointing out that we see more about them than they do of us since ya know we aren't on reality tv. Nothing more, nothing less.

As to the bolded. I did. :-)

You're responding to two different posts, only one of which was in response to something you posted.  The site combined them.

(edited)
1 hour ago, ryebread said:

I agreed with everything you said here:

Who *IS* to say what constitutes a 'real' writer?  Like you, I don't assume that "real" writers never misspeak, always use perfect grammar and diction, never argue with people, and apparently never do crass things like poop.  While there are some (very few) writers who may fit that description (aside from the not pooping, one hopes), it's not the norm. "  Exactly, in agreement with ya.

Bottom line is, it's not Carole's job to describe what a real writer is.  Or how they should write.  Eveyone has their own method.  And I also agree that writers are real people with flaws.  And also agree that bumbling, conversational people can turn out beautiful writing.

So, see?  I do agree with you.  It seems like Carole, though, doesn't.  In her peabrain, there's only one way to write a book.  She told us that Aviva and Luann aren't doing it the way she did so therefore they can't write.

Carole never said any such thing, nor do I think she's ever suggested it.  Aviva tried to cause drama, and she did it by going after something very personal and important to Carole.  Congrats to Aviva for getting the reaction she wanted; hope she's enjoying her free time after being fired.  Congrats to Carole for not beating Aviva to death with her own leg; I wouldn't have been so generous.

Edited by pbutler111
  • Love 6
(edited)

now I have grown into a "Queen" or "Mama."

Hee. It's probably a good thing you didn't mention that when Heather was still on the show.

Doing that put huge bullseyes on their backs - I think that was definitely the last straw with LuAnn for Bethenny - the fact that she had THE NERVE to think she was worth more money meant that she dared to consider herself an equal, and that shit just wasn't going to fly.

Unless she has a vested interest in the show, why is Beth so concerned with her co-workers' screen time and contracts/salary? Andy can deny it all he wants, but I'm convinced she's some kind of ghostproducer.

Neither Bethenny or Ramona were being "helpful" to Luann, they simply wanted to hurt her because try as they might they can't figure out why Luann continues to have a successful love life. 

Beth and Ramona are birds of a feather, and seem bonded. Remember how they (laughably) cried in each other's arms last season?

I don't think anyone has a desire to be right about this - just a desire to snark on one more thing Carole does that annoys some of us. My list is long.

Sure, it's no different than how some feel towards, say, Yolanda.

If they really ARE into each other, then it's smart to not have him featured very often.  That never, ever works for any of the couples across any of the franchises.

LVP/Ken and Kyle/Mauricio are two couples that show that to be false. (And, on the flip side, Jonathan was hardly ever featured, and some still decided that he and Heather had a shitty relationship and/or were on the verge of divorce.)

Edited by jaync
  • Love 6
35 minutes ago, pbutler111 said:

Carole never said any such thing, nor do I think she's ever suggested it.  Aviva tried to cause drama, and she did it by going after something very personal and important to Carole.  Congrats to Aviva for getting the reaction she wanted; hope she's enjoying her free time after being fired.  Congrats to Carole for not beating Aviva to death with her own leg; I wouldn't have been so generous.

I think there is a real disconnect at play here. Aviva expertly baited Carole and many viewers judge Carole more harshly for how she reacted to lies said about her repeatedly on camera but not the liar, Aviva, who started the fight and kept it going for the sole purpose of a storyline at the expense of a supposed friend or at the very least a co-worker. Carole lost her cool, got angry, yelled, grabbed Aviva's chin, ect, whereas Aviva kept her cool and kept repeating the lie over and over again. For me, the lie was/is more damming than the reaction.  

• Love 11
1 hour ago, WireWrap said:

She didn't get nasty until Aviva said that she "heard" that Carole used a GW and that is when Carole got mad. Carole went to Aviva's housewarming party a few days later and was calm until Ramona told her what Aviva was telling every single person there. I believe by that point, Carole realized that Aviva was going to use the GW allegation/lie as her main storyline that season, which made Carole see red. This is also why Heather saw red, she knew what Aviva was up to....Aviva had no storyline of her own other than her book, which at best would be a 2 episode mention and nothing more, so she created the lie about Carole using a GW to make something out of nothing at the expense of a supposed friend/co-worker. It was a premediated act/lie on Aviva's part all to keep her Apple and nothing more.

We saw it differently.

1 hour ago, pbutler111 said:

I don't think there are any professional writers who would agree with you on any of this.  Carole reacted badly to Aviva (and I can't believe we're back to this, frankly), not because Aviva was dabbling in writing, but because Aviva was working really, really hard in that sit-down to trivialize Carole's accomplishments.  Writing books for publication is not the same as writing an email.  It takes a lot of time and work and commitment; it's hard.  Even for people to whom writing comes easy, it's hard.  To have someone smirk and suggest that what you've accomplished is really nothing, and that you probably didn't do it yourself anyway, and anyone who can write an email can do it, no prob, is offensive and insufferable.  I don't know what "giggling and bucking" means, so I can't really address that.

Giggling as in the annoying way she giggles about everything that comes out of her buckgummed mouth in her Talking Head as if everything she says is so goshdarn funny. Hardy Harr.

And Bucking as in referring to the unfortunate disaster that is her buck teeth.

• Love 2
(edited)

You're responding to two different posts, only one of which was in response to something you posted.  The site combined them.

And?

I wonder then, why so many people got that message? Curious.

Edited by Yours Truly

Ok guys. Maybe time to take a step back. You're going back and forth quite a bit and it seems you've all already agreed to disagree so maybe we don't need to dissect each and every post everyone makes now. Thanks.  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, sasha206 said:

You're up to two couples in which the female is signficantly older!  Hugh Jackman equal three. 

I'm so convinced. :)

One more recent: Actor Aaron Taylor Johnson (26) and director Sam Taylor Johnson (49).  Married since 2012 and I believe they even have a child or two together.

16 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

The best part of this episode for me was watching the hair stylist's face as he was trying to install hair extensions for Luann. At one point he cupped his hands around her head like Stop moving the fuck around and then sharing a look with his assistant like wtf. He was hilarious. 

Bummer not getting to see his work if he was even able to finish it. 

I do worry that Luann is getting to cocky about Tom with her bragging that he wants to marry her. Wanting to marry is not the same as actually doing it. I guess we'll see!!

The extension scene with LuAnn was gold, it really highlighted LuAnn's dated hairstyle in all it's feathered Charlie's Angels glory.  LuAnn should tread lightly with the whole B stole my look thing, because Bethenny is doing it better!  I loved how B had her hair slicked down during the invitation/no invitation dinner with the girls.  That style is really working for her.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, shoegal said:

The extension scene with LuAnn was gold, it really highlighted LuAnn's dated hairstyle in all it's feathered Charlie's Angels glory.  LuAnn should tread lightly with the whole B stole my look thing, because Bethenny is doing it better!  I loved how B had her hair slicked down during the invitation/no invitation dinner with the girls.  That style is really working for her.

I thought Bethenny looked great with her hair sleeked back like that as well! I loved her entire look actually. It was a combination of sophisticated with a touch of edgy that I absolutely adored.

I would have liked to see the final result of Luann's hair but I suspect that I wouldn't have liked it. I've seen Luann with longer hair and maybe it was also a really bad choice of style but I didn't like it at all. Maybe she took a look at herself in the mirror and demanded that production not use the footage, haha.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, shoegal said:

This was the result of the hair extension deal. Or I will assume it to be. She posted it on Jan 6th, so the timeframe would have been right. I thinks she looks fantastic, but then I always thinks she looks great.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CountessLuann/status/684774064183984130

• Love 9
On 6/20/2016 at 4:12 PM, Mrs peel said:

I don't want to continue an argument, but two things....Carole is not from "upstate" NY, and the NYC tri-state area is not considered to be part of New England.  Rockland County, where she and I grew up, is just north of NYC, on the western side of the Hudson River.  Six hours south of the NY border with Quebec.

I didn't say Carole lived upstate, however I did mention that her grandparents, where she spent summers,  lived upstate (Saugerties). There is a familial aspect to dialects as well as location.  T-glottalization occurs in other parts of the United States as well as the northeast.  There have been several posters from different areas of the U.S. who have stated they realize that they also pronounce the offending word "kitten" like that too.  

Bottom line...whether you choose to acknowledge this is a real thing, or how this factors into Carole's pronunciation is entirely up to you.  Perhaps we can agree are all free to believe what we like. 

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

This was the result of the hair extension deal. Or I will assume it to be. She posted it on Jan 6th, so the timeframe would have been right. I thinks she looks fantastic, but then I always thinks she looks great.

I think it looks cute!  At least not half bad. I hate her hair but I agree there isn't much else that would look good on her. She has such a wide face. 

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

For those with eagle eyes, does the background look like Ramona's house? If so then its probably the extensions. 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, shoegal said:

Wow, it looks really good, she should consider growing it out, this looks way better on her IMO. 

I agree.  The 'feathers' on the sides are really heavy, though.  They need to be chipped, or texturized.  The extended longer layer makes her face less harsh looking.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Surprisingly I like it. The length works really well for her. Last time I saw her with long hair it was like mid-back length. I was picturing extensions like Ramona's. She should consider changing it up time to time with this length and feathered look. It looks great on her.

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 3:48 PM, sasha206 said:

I change my mind completely now that you were able to find one example of May-December romance that has worked well.  :)  Let's have this same discussion two years from now when Adam is with his new 30 year-old love.

Again, my point here isn't to say that only relationships that are close in age work.  Or that May-December romances don't work.  But I would bet they work less when the male is signficantly younger than when it is a female that is the signficantly younger one. In my personal view, I'd rather not start off a romance with a big black mark against it.  Maybe Carole is the most secure woman on the face of the earth with her age, the age difference, etc.  But I'd certainly wouldn't want to let my heart open up and have it crushed when the more than likely inevitable happens.  Several episodes ago she had that awareness that I'm espousing.   Several episodes ago, my heart felt for her because she was keenly aware of that more than likely inevitability.  My heart feels for her even more now because she's now convinced herself (or is open) to having permanency with him.  I just don't think he'll stick around.  And this is no reflection on her fabulousness, but he's more than likely going to want that family.    I don't picture Carole wanting to become a mom when he's ready for a family.

And yet the reason you broke up is because what -- AGE-RELATED ISSUES.  You wanted kids, she was "past her expiration date."  Your words.  So yeah, age is more than a number.  I'm not trying to be disrespectul but you made my point.  You had more longevity than what I'd expect, but the eventual breakup as you described had to do with life experiences and stages.  

The divide between Carole and Adam I think will end up being his inability to get traction in the business world.  It is lovely starting a relationship with someone who is trying to build a career and unfortunately with Adam, I just don't see it.  Adam has his non-profit, extreme sports, and now movie making and some cooking stuff thrown in.  I don't think it will be a lack of love just that ultimately they either will land with Carole's friends or Adam's friends and my belief is Adam just doesn't have a commonality with Carole's mogul friends.  I don't think not having mogul genes is a bad thing, I think it makes him a nice guy, jut think he is running in the wrong circle.

Edited by zoeysmom
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, motorcitymom65 said:

She's a beautiful woman and it's a nice length on her.   That (lack of) blending, matching layer lengths and stinginess though? Turr'ble.    She needed more volume added to the left side to balance out how thin the tracks are.  It does not take any effort to match the color and texture of her hair either.  I bet that company's extensions aren't cheap I'm glad she didn't pay for that.  Lu should let me hook her up, black girls have 9 different shades of hair available before we even get to sable brown. 

• Love 5

I think her hairstyle works for her, much like Rinna's actually.  I don't care for the added length of those extensions.  I think with such a strong face (both of them really) that it's difficult to find something flattering, and once they did, they stuck with it.   In addition, I think Luann leads a pretty active life, she's often seen in the pool on her instagram, talks about loving tennis, etc.  So, that style works for that as well.  She's blessed with thick lovely hair, and I doubt it takes her much work to "fix" it  after swimming or in the morning.  The cut makes it fall into place, and she has so much volume she probably doesn't need to do much blowdrying for lift either.  It's wash and wear hair.  Sure, she styles it a bit for occasions but I'd bet it looks fine simply air drying as well.  She's lucky.

• Love 2

Nah, he does not look at her with any sexual interest and their relationship seems really fake.

Carole and Adam act like friends not lovers, imo.

The vibe I get from them is two stoners hanging out, talking about life and...stuff. But not everyone wears their relationship on their sleeve the way LuAnn does. 

I clearly am going to have to update my list of couples where the wife is significantly older! (To include at least more still-living people.) My first thought was Isadora Duncan and Sergei Yesenin, and Britt Ekland and Slim Jim Phantom. Both marriages were short-lived, though!

• Love 1

I thought Bethenny looked great with her hair sleeked back like that as well! I loved her entire look actually.

Yes, but what was up with her face? It was puffy-tight (if that makes sense), and shiny as all get out, like she had slathered it with some of Michael Wainstein's hair product.

I clearly am going to have to update my list of couples where the wife is significantly older!

To keep it HWs related, you can add Ken Todd's son Warren and his much older wife.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, jaync said:

Yes, but what was up with her face? It was puffy-tight (if that makes sense), and shiny as all get out, like she had slathered it with some of Michael Wainstein's hair product.

The shiny part is from Botox. Not sure why it does that but it does. The puffy part is fillers and tight is lasers. Probably ;)

• Love 3

I'm sure you're right, it was just a little startling because she didn't look like that in the previous scenes. Her profuse bleeding must've stopped long enough for her to have some fresh work done.

• Love 4

Sounds like she's a drama queen.

But we knew that.

How many times does she need to tell us about her "profuse bleeding"?

What's next? Displaying her sheets from an open window?

You would have to know someone that suffered from this.  She didn't even scratch the surface.  And yes there is pain and cramping but what keeps you out of work, play or anything where you are standing up is the bleeding.  It is scary on a level you can't even imagine.  If anything B is really underplaying the symptoms.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

Sounds like she's a drama queen.

But we knew that.

How many times does she need to tell us about her "profuse bleeding"?

What's next? Displaying her sheets from an open window?

Thank god that she was brave enough to undergo such a revolutionary operation!

No one really gives a fuck about your 'girly problems' (there is that word, again) I had to laugh about her losing 10% of her blood - Maybe her and Yoyo can get together and work out their math skills and their love of 'percentages'.

If it was THAT bad with the hemorrhaging and clots, she should have IMMEDIATELY gone to the ER. That asshole probably has better health insurance than all of us put together, why not use it?

I don't feel sorry for her at all.....Sometimes a health scare is something that changes a persons demeanor - they realize how precious life is - probably a lost lesson for that loser.

• Love 5

Oh❗  I see.

So, THIS aspect of Bethenney's ?'personal' life she magnanimously shares with those of whom she gives "zero fucks ". Perchance, the dissemination of the exquisitely detailed particulars is to aid women all across the lands. Nah... 'tis being used as a tool to engender sympathy and to gain 'understanding' of her--Lycan--uncharacteristic(not) behaviors.

*And, indeed, YES, I am quite familiar with The Condition and much much worse.*

• Love 6

Omg, I am SO far behind. Not really much left to cover at this point. I'll just say that, in the previous episode, Beth's behavior with Lu was so atrocious and pissed me off so much that it was a real pleasure to see Lu completely own her at the end. I kind of think even Bethenny was impressed.

I like Carol most of the time, but Adam doesn't seem like a man in love to me. I know we all display signs of affection differently, but he seems completely check out. I wouldn't be surprised if he likes her just fine but also really digs the exposure. Meh. 

• Love 1

LuAnn has never looked better!

And in rewatching that scene I loved the way LuAnn was.  Bethenny sitting there like she's the Godfather and LuAnn is just purposefuly getting under her skin and enjoying it.

• Love 9
20 hours ago, archer1267 said:

I clearly am going to have to update my list of couples where the wife is significantly older! (To include at least more still-living people.) My first thought was Isadora Duncan and Sergei Yesenin, and Britt Ekland and Slim Jim Phantom. Both marriages were short-lived, though!

Some still-togethers:

Gabrielle Union and Dwayne Wade

Victoria and David Beckham

Hugh Jackman and his wife

Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn

Tina Turner and her husband

Eva Mendes and Ryan Gosling

20 hours ago, sasha206 said:

OMG Jules is growing on me.

Me too, she has since the moment she confessed that she had every eating disorder out there.

Now, with the divorce looming, I kind of want her to stick around.  She still drives me slightly nuts in many ways, but all the HW's do.  They are all full of negatives and positives.  Jules' biggest negative for me are her children and the way she is raising them.  Candy for obedience?  Nannies questioned about blow outs and shopping or picking out kids outfits rather than CPR and experience?  She can't bathe a kid?  She has a 3+ year old still in diapers? 

Still, much to my surprise, I hope she sticks around for at least one more season.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Me too, she has since the moment she confessed that she had every eating disorder out there.

Now, with the divorce looming, I kind of want her to stick around.  She still drives me slightly nuts in many ways, but all the HW's do.  They are all full of negatives and positives.  Jules' biggest negative for me are her children and the way she is raising them.  Candy for obedience?  Nannies questioned about blow outs and shopping or picking out kids outfits rather than CPR and experience?  She can't bathe a kid?  She has a 3+ year old still in diapers? 

Still, much to my surprise, I hope she sticks around for at least one more season.

Agreed on all.  She seems like a sweet person with a good sense of humor.  Maybe the nanny blow-out is what she thought she'd need to say to sort of be that kooky Housewives.

I'd like to see her stick around too -- with the divorce, she suddenly became more interesting to me!

• Love 5