Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E11: Invitation Interrupted

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, ryebread said:

Is this the world we live in?  (Remember when eating the bow off a cake was the height of bad manners?)

That was after "Naked Wasted"!?!?!?

The world we live in will cease to exist once the people who know what 'manners' are, are all dead.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

Luann and Harry were part of a larger group.  Sonja mischaracterized the situation.  Quite honestly I think the whole Harry thing was just made up.

I think Sonja mischaracterizes a lot of situations.  

I seriously think that if some random, good looking guy from across the bar catches her eye and gives her a slight smile and nod of his head, in Sonja's mind, they've already hooked up!    ;-)

• Love 7
3 hours ago, ryebread said:

By the way, Below Deck is coming back and Kate now identifies as a lesbian.  See you there?

As a guy, this sentence caught my eye. See you there as far as the show goes or lesbianism?

Sorry, I had to ask?

• Love 2

I hate that this season is all about Bethenny. The discussion about inviting or not inviting Lu and Sonja was like a seen from the Godfather/Goodfellas/The Sopranos, each lady trying to kiss the ass (or ring) of Bethenny

• Love 12
34 minutes ago, DelicateDee said:

Sorry if it's already been addressed, as I'm only on page 3 of the forum, but is Carol's pronunciation of kitten really odd?  Having been born and raised in New England myself (now a West Coaster), it seems correct to me to say ki'en, bi'en, Manhat'en, etc.. Actually, almost all words with two Ts together, the T's are kinda silent.  I don't even think non Northeasterners pronounce the 2 Ts.  I'll have to pay closer attention.  In any case, it's not a matter of Carole not being able to annunciate, as implied, it's most likely a regional thing.  

Cot'en

Rot'en

This whole "kitten" talk had me talking out loud to myself!!  I guess I say it the same way...I totally do the whole "lazy t" thing with double t words like kitten, cotten and Manhattan.  The "t" sound is not very pronounced.  Maybe it is a regional thing....

• Love 7
3 hours ago, sekay87 said:

I cannot that Beth gave Carole the final say-so in who would get to go to Mexico with the group...like when did Carole become queen of the world? I don't get it. The more Carole is on this show, the more I can't stand her. The first season she was on, I found her quirky and humorous. Now I just see someone who is completely self-obsessed mean girl. Take her fight with Lu--I get why she's mad at her and think she has a right to be, but did Carole ever own the fact that she also took part in social media fights and said mean things about the Countess? If she has, I never heard it come out of her mouth. I don't think she really "owns her stuff" either. I'm glad her and Bethenny are friends, but I don't like B giving her the power to exclude others from trips or outings. Especially since she's being sort of immature about the whole issue she has with Lu. You're in your 50's, Carole. Move on.

I think she may have pulled rank - Isn't a princess rated higher than 'just' a countess?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DelicateDee said:

Several empty baking pans?  I didn't notice, but so what?  He's cooking for himself, why does he need to wear sleeves?  Your post puzzles me.

Men don't shave their pits. When you cook, you are always reaching over open pots of food - that and he should tie his hair back.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Yours Truly said:

Well my obligation to my job is to show up and work. Theres this chick here that I hate with a thousand suns and it had gotten to a point of sit down meeting with various higher ups but guess what I still come to work and do my job. She comes in and does hers. We push through the work day, try our best to stay out of each others way, speak only when we have to collect our checks and move it along. Not an original recipe.

Not an original recipe, but the power to harness a thousand suns is pretty awesome.

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

I didn't really count Bethenny's because no official invitation was given to Luann. Both Bethenny and Carole were hearing through the grapevine that Luann was talking about the party as if she were actually invited. It was such an early season event that as a viewer, I wasn't sure if Luann was audacious enough to actually show up to an event she wasn't invited to! I was actually thinking it possible that she was trying to save face around town by pretending that she was invited (but it was Sonja that ended up playing that card). The Berkshires was an undisputed fact that Luann would be there.

Whether it was addressed to Carole's face or not, the point was that Dorinda gave her side eye for pulling a stunt of feigning ignorance about Luann's presence at Dorinda's home that weekend. 

They should have definitely spoken before the season began filming - not so much because it would have spared us this repetitive drama (though it would have been MUCH appreciated) but because both women have described their budding friendship as something real and either side should have made the effort to reach out to at least have a conversation, even if that conversation ended up in determining that they were better off acquaintances rather than friends.

While it would be the nice and generally expected things for the offending party to reach out to the injured party for a resolution, Luann low key also felt like an injured party as well and I think Luann often can get wrapped up in her own feelings that she doesn't really consider how the situation can be perceived outside of her own viewpoint. That said, I know it would have been the right thing for Luann to reach out because she's the one that took it that level first but it always goes back to the fact that these are adult women that we're talking about. I know how we deal with conflict is largely dependent on our personalities but I'm used to friendships where there is no ego when it comes to addressing problems because I have friendships that I value and consider worth extending the line of communication, whether I feel like I'm the wrong doer that owes the apology or even when I feel I'm the wronged party and I want my friend to know that they've hurt my feelings or that I didn't like something they did or said. I just know that there are more mature ways of handling this than the way Luann and Carole have been dealing. 

Most of the "event" invites are done by production, not the actual HW/hostess when a "non" invited HW shows up. In other words, even though Bethenny did not send Luann an actual invitation, production sent it, and Bethenny knew it. LOL 

49 minutes ago, HumblePi said:

According to a Daily Mail article from March 2016, Luann and Tom have booked their wedding date, it's New Year's Eve. Luann's ex-husband Alexandre even offered to give the bride away, but he'll settle for being a guest since her brother will be giving Luann away. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3488228/LuAnn-Lesseps-ex-husband-Alexandre-wanted-away-upcoming-wedding-emerges-guest-ceremony.html

For supposedly being great friends with Jules and Michael, Dorinda and John seemed to be pretty clueless about his extramarital philandering, although sleazy John may have been in on Michael's little secrets. I was a little annoyed by Dorinda's condescending attitude towards Jules when they were out to dinner together. It was very obvious that Jules was upset about Michael. "You need to take a deep breath. This too shall pass".  That's it Dorinda? Is that the depth of your empathy for Jules distress not to mention just blowing off the stressful fact that Jules showed her the area of alopecia areata on her scalp. Again, no big deal to Dorinda. All she said about the hair loss was "okay, now stop it".  And all John could say to Jules is "be nice, be nice". About Jules and Michael....I have thought about this couple a lot because on the surface they have seemed to be okay with each other. Except, Jules can't make coffee, doesn't cook. doesn't really care for her children and hires a nanny for that. So, what was the attraction? Instinct tells me money and sex were the two motivators in their relationship. I can't help but go back to the night they had dinner with Luann, Tom, Dorinda, John and a couple of others. I swear that Jules was wearing a silver 'pearl necklace' by designer Leah Piepgras. I had to look at that scene a half dozen times before I came to that conclusion. No rich wife wear a cheap silver necklace unless it has some personal significance. (According to the jewelry designer's website this Necklace "Is an Accurate Representation of Semen"... meaning male ejaculate). Then Jules mentioned that she doesn't like the word 'moist' and consider that word as horrible for a woman to hear as the word 'grundle' which I had to google. (The most humorous definition comes from the Urban Dictionary. " The prime piece of real estate located conveniently between Scrotumburg and Anusville). Bottom line is that I see a could whose marital life has been built on a foundation of sex, money and who knows what else. I'm sure there was affection and 'love' in the beginning until Michael got bored and started cheating on her with others.

Last thing is something others have commented on regarding Adam and Carole. I have to say that I think it's great for Carole to have found a nice young guy to play with. He's not what my personal taste is but for her, fine and go girl. But, his nasty, stringy hair drives me crazy, I'd have the impulse to brush it all the time. His man-bun is so millennial. No self respecting male over the age of 35 would ever wear a man bun. He reminds me of a what would come out of a genetic mix of Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam and the lead singer of Alice in Chains. total grunge look. AND yes, he did put a cake in the oven to bake without removing a 8-muffin baking pan and two (2) sheet pans on the lower rack which would easily interfere with the temperature and baking time of his cake. SO THERE!  lol lol lol !

I think John and Michael are the actual friends and Dorinda knows them only through John, which explains how "clueless" she was to any marital discord.  

• Love 5
(edited)
55 minutes ago, mwell345 said:

What they're doing to Sonja is awful, especially since she is generally harmless.  By that I mean she never really instigates any of the discord, I think she just likes to party and have fun.  I hope she rips Ramona a new one at the reunion but I don't think it will happen because I just don't think that's her style. And we can forget about anyone going after Carole or bethenny because Andy will shut that down pretty quickly.

But is Sonja really all that harmless?

Oh she definitely likes to party and have fun, but often she leaves a trail of rubble in her wake. She's lazy and just doesn't care how her actions affect other people, but then she hides behind this guise of being a carefree good-time girl to avoid being called out on it.

We've seen her be quite malicious and inconsiderate numerous times on the show: Barring Alex and Simon from speaking at the Marriage Equality New York event because Sonja demanded to be the only HW representative speaking at the event, showing up late to the toaster oven shoot Heather arranged, talking shit about Lu's clothing line behind her back, forcing all the other women to wait in the foyer last season before Atlantic City.

I just can't feel that bad for Sonja when any of the other women snap back at her. She's not really that harmless. She's pretty selfish and rude, but unlike a Ramona, Bethenny, or Luann, no one really calls her out on it. For some reason she gets the kid gloves treatment more often than not. She just gets yelled at for being delusional or partying too hard, which is really quite tame for a HW spat. So I'm kind of okay with Bethenny being a hard-ass about Tipsy Girl. She's right in that Sonja can't claim to be a naive know-nothing, when it's more like Sonja will try and hide behind that facade if it means she can get away with dirtier misdeeds.

Edited by KFC
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, shoegal said:

I find it seriously funny that there are pages and pages, episode after episode, bemoaning how Carole won't let it go. 

This site is about snarking on tv shows and the people on them.

• Love 8

Sonja and the Countess may be drunks, but my mom said that when you lost the ability to defend yourself, You are too drunk.

Since they both have no problem with the "three F's of drinking" - Fighting, Fucking and Finding your way back home - I don't see any problems?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, njbchlover said:

This whole "kitten" talk had me talking out loud to myself!!  I guess I say it the same way...I totally do the whole "lazy t" thing with double t words like kitten, cotten and Manhattan.  The "t" sound is not very pronounced.  Maybe it is a regional thing....

Thank goodness I wasn't the only one. Since the discussion first started I've been saying "kitten" over and over to see how I pronounce it. lol

I also say it with the lazy t I guess. I was born and raised in Southern California. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Mrs peel said:

Sorry, but no.  I grew up not 15 minutes from Carole (Rockland County NY), around the same time too (I'm a bit older).  I have 2 cats, I managed to include the 't" sound each and every time I say "kitten.".  And I'm also part-Italian American, so it's not that either.

Although it might not be your personal experience, it is in fact a recognized thing in some dialects.  I grew surrounded by people who pronounce things like that and still do it myself.  

From an article about New England English:  "This form of t-glottalization (especially the /tən/ form) is found commonly in other parts of the country as well (including General American), like in the word "Britain" (sometimes represented along the lines of Brih'in); however, the characteristic is most prevalent in New England."   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_English (sorry it' isn't a more authoritative link, but I don't have the time or interest in looking up better sources at the moment).  If you note the map in that page, you'll see upstate NY, in the area where Carole's grandparents lived, is included with southwestern New England, which is where I grew up.  

So, as much as I would love to think she's just being Carole Cutesy, I think she just has a regional dialect, just like most of us do no matter where we live in the world or whatever language we may speak.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, Rainny said:

Thank goodness I wasn't the only one. Since the discussion first started I've been saying "kitten" over and over to see how I pronounce it. lol

I also say it with the lazy t I guess. I was born and raised in Southern California. 

Midwest here, and after much repetition, I finally figured out that I drop the "e" and pronounce it "kitn"

• Love 5
1 hour ago, DelicateDee said:

Sorry if it's already been addressed, as I'm only on page 3 of the forum, but is Carol's pronunciation of kitten really odd?  Having been born and raised in New England myself (now a West Coaster), it seems correct to me to say ki'en, bi'en, Manhat'en, etc.. Actually, almost all words with two Ts together, the T's are kinda silent.  I don't even think non Northeasterners pronounce the 2 Ts.  I'll have to pay closer attention.  In any case, it's not a matter of Carole not being able to annunciate, as implied, it's most likely a regional thing.  

Cot'en

Rot'en

I agree about using a lazy T in these words.  Nobody anywhere except Lisa Vanderpump says, "Kit -ten" or "ManHAT-tan" - making both Ts hard. 

But it's Carole's lack of any T in those words, "KI'en" "WRI'en" - lazy or otherwise - that makes her sound like a 12 year old who's trying to be precious.  Perhaps if she didn't try so hard to be precious in other areas, this wouldn't be such a stand out.  

It's also possible that her extreme overbite makes her unable to form a lazy T sound. I just tried to fake an overbite and say the word, 'kitten'.  For science, yo.   It's hard to do.

59 minutes ago, ElDosEquis said:

As a guy, this sentence caught my eye. See you there as far as the show goes or lesbianism?

Sorry, I had to ask?

LOL.  The show, silly.  I only play for one team.  Although not literally a whole team. 

• Love 3

I went to a private, Catholic school where you were taught phonics. You learned about breaking up words into syllables and pronunciation. You were also taught the sounds that groups of letters made when spoke. Somehow, I don't see Carole as sitting in a class paying attention to the lesson, she was probably taking notes for her diary or book?

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, ElDosEquis said:

I went to a private, Catholic school where you were taught phonics. You learned about breaking up words into syllables and pronunciation. You were also taught the sounds that groups of letters made when spoke. Somehow, I don't see Carole as sitting in a class paying attention to the lesson, she was probably taking notes for her diary or book?

So did I. I'm still recovering. 

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, ichbin said:

Although it might not be your personal experience, it is in fact a recognized thing in some dialects.  I grew surrounded by people who pronounce things like that and still do it myself.  

From an article about New England English:  "This form of t-glottalization (especially the /tən/ form) is found commonly in other parts of the country as well (including General American), like in the word "Britain" (sometimes represented along the lines of Brih'in); however, the characteristic is most prevalent in New England."   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_English (sorry it' isn't a more authoritative link, but I don't have the time or interest in looking up better sources at the moment).  If you note the map in that page, you'll see upstate NY, in the area where Carole's grandparents lived, is included with southwestern New England, which is where I grew up.  

So, as much as I would love to think she's just being Carole Cutesy, I think she just has a regional dialect, just like most of us do no matter where we live in the world or whatever language we may speak.

z2QcqZl.gif

In British English, the formal pronunciation of kitten is /ˈkɪt(ə)n/. It rhymes with Britain, and probably does so in American English as well, because, if both are pronounced differently from the British way, I imagine they do so consistently. Some regional accents replace the ‘t’ sound, both in kitten and elsewhere, with a glottal stop. In fact, most speakers will do so in certain phonetic environments. There’s nothing ‘incorrect’ about doing so.

Makes sense that people living in NEW ENGLAND would have adopted the same pronunciations as our founders.

• Love 7

Is it awful that I don't feel sorry for Jules? I mean, on some level I feel for someone whose marriage ended the way hers apparently did.  But I don't get the impression that she married her husband for any other reason than a life of luxury that includes hiring nannies that stand in line for her so she can get the latest fashion.  He's a pig.  But maybe so is she.  And based on what we've seen, I don't see some incredible mother in her either.  She went without a nanny for a nanosecond and was helpless and full of complaints.  Based on how clueless she seems about kitchen basics, she doesn't seem capable of being that hands on.

Instead, she seems like another pretentious house-of-cards idiot.  Sonja may be loopy but she's charming and interesting.  The others seem much more self-made (even Lu, who was a nurse at one point) than Jules.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

Is it awful that I don't feel sorry for Jules? I mean, on some level I feel for someone whose marriage ended the way hers apparently did.  But I don't get the impression that she married her husband for any other reason than a life of luxury that includes hiring nannies that stand in line for her so she can get the latest fashion.  He's a pig.  But maybe so is she.  And based on what we've seen, I don't see some incredible mother in her either.  She went without a nanny for a nanosecond and was helpless and full of complaints.  Based on how clueless she seems about kitchen basics, she doesn't seem capable of being that hands on.

Instead, she seems like another pretentious house-of-cards idiot.  Sonja may be loopy but she's charming and interesting.  The others seem much more self-made (even Lu, who was a nurse at one point) than Jules.

I am willing to give her some slack as we really have seen very little and what we have seen is edited down to a few minutes. As for her helplessness in the kitchen, I know a few women like that. Also, her nanny quit right after she started filming for this show and I can see most moms getting upset when their childcare arrangements disappear just as they start a new job.

• Love 10
(edited)
13 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

I am willing to give her some slack as we really have seen very little and what we have seen is edited down to a few minutes. As for her helplessness in the kitchen, I know a few women like that. Also, her nanny quit right after she started filming for this show and I can see most moms getting upset when their childcare arrangements disappear just as they start a new job.

True, but I'm basing my opinion on what I've seen of her so far which is a vacuous, self-absorbed woman who loves to pretend to be stupid.  Or maybe she just is.  Maybe her nanny quit because she got tired of standing in line for her employer's vanity and watch her children at the same time.

I know I sound awfully harsh, but she's another run of the mill house of cards Real Housewives.  My guess is the marriage was on the rocks well before she took the job and she well-timed the divorce and cheating allegations very soon after that episode where the stage is set.  The timing is awfully suspicious.

I know she likes to play the quirky, ditzy half Asian/half Jew but I find her calculating.  Her husband is no doubt an asshat.  But I'm sure she knew that before she married him.

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 6

The only thing I can think of is that some of them come off as the mean girls at the Junior High School lunch table.....notice I said Junior high and not High School.

It has become downright difficult to watch. I kind of miss the old days and that is saying a lot.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, CrinkleCutCat said:

I wanted to see Luanne with the extensions finished too..... I think she would have looked ridiculous!

luann-blonde-hair.jpg

Yes it would!

Luann's hairstyle has never been flashy but it works for her.  The worst hair I've seen on her is the above and that awful beach wave look.

That last episode, I thought her hair looked absolutely fantastic!

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Oh I forgot to mention that when  Carole was reading her intro for the cookbook, I shouted "you are not a GIRL!" 

She strikes me someone who likes to do the coquettish "girl" term when it suits her and then gets counsels someone against treating her like a silly girl.

• Love 3

Dorinda's blog is up and it is another delusional blog IMO. She calls out Carole for not wanting Luann on the Mexico trip because they are not getting along but approves Bethenny not wanting Sonja even though Sonja wasn't invited because Bethenny is mad at her! LOL

Oh, and it appears that Dorinda knew that Tom went out with Ramona but I guess she didn't feel the need to say squat to Luann about it. Seems like Dorinda is slithering away from Luann a bit now. LOL

http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-new-york-city/season-8/blogs/dorinda-medley/dorinda-medley-does-carole-have

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, Yours Truly said:

I think it should be over cause we the viewers want it to be over and well it's really annoying watching reruns. Especially when they show up in the form of a brand new episode.

Simple logic.

Oh and Carole's been an asshole since her first season and yet Lu still managed to befriend her briefly between that season and now even though, through Carole's own admission, she reacted to Lu negatively before allowing herself to actually get to know her. So you see they both have had their moments of not being the best of people to each other. In one situation an attempt to move forward was made by Lu in the other we have Carole clutching desperately to her ill will and polluting everything else that goes on with it. 

Justified or not, when you allow you own feelings to taint and poison other people's overall interactions and environment (not just Lu's but the other housewives awkwardly caught in the middle) then you've taken you're self waayyyy too seriously and have decided that all that matters is you and only you. Being mad at Lu doesn't give Carole (and Beth) the right to pretty much ruin the vibe, flow and energy of all things HW's related and what the others must endure doing filming. At the very least Carole is yet again giving zero fucks about how her middle school stance is doing with regards to the other wives, filming schedules obligations and interactions with each other. It's like they are just holding production hostage and it's playing out all over my TV all because Buck Gums wants to pout... oh eeeerrr, scowl... How long is the viewing audience supposed to sit back and watch Carole stew AND be okay with that?

But this is the thing....this show has become about staying on the show.  It's the closest thing to reality tv since the 1st season - meaning you're not just going to go with the flow and follow script just cuz.  At a real job, if someone isn't clicking, you're happier when they get fired.  I'm not a Carole fan, but if she can get away with getting paid and not having to film with Lu, then that's closer to reality.  In essence, this show about staying on the show and only interacting with whom you chose dynamic is unique and at least different from the other RH franchises.  All the other franchises just suck it up and pretend because they thought they had to - which is super fake.  These NY broads are making these grandiose power plays and trying to alter their obligations/roles if they can; it's all very meta, but I still think this is closer to reality than simply acquiescing to filming with the rest of the cast because that's what you signed up for.  Why not move the goal post if you can?  If I demand a raise and get it while my coworker never thought to do so, is that fair?  Maybe, maybe not, but that's how real life works.  Of course it can backfire, but Bethenny set the tone for the powerplay and everyone else is responding.  

And another thing about taking it too seriously... On WWHL, Andy did not look pleased when Shep (Southern Charm) said that the audience takes what they do on the show way too seriously.  Andy shot him a look like, "Hey, this is reality tv, you're not supposed to be just goofing off in a role".  It was clear that Shep considered the whole show to be a gigantic spoof, which is how a more well grounded person would treat his participation on the show.  However, participation on a bravo tv reality show by definition means that you likely have some needy attention issues and have decided that fulfilling those needs is worth the risk of never being taken seriously again for the rest of your life.  Fame/shame ratio and all....

Edited by lampwick
  • Love 7

My gosh.  Look at us.  We're discussing how someone pronounces 'kitten'.  It's pretty funny and I don't mean it in a criticism sort of way.  We're discussing the some of the silly things on these shows and here we are discussing the pronunciation of a word. 

BTW, my two cents.  I didn't notice Carole's pronunciation of the word when it came up in a previous episode and didn't notice it in this episode.  Like others, I've sat by myself and pronounced the word.  It comes out 'kit en'.  But....the 't' is barely audible.  It that correct?  Nope, two 't's.  Two syllables.  I went to catholic school.  Should we have a poll? :)

We could also go into a discussion of the correct pronunciation of 'asked'.  I think it's probably the hardest word to say in the American English language.

On another note, the production company probably does have the final say on who's invited on a trip but I do think they work with the 'host' and will allow the host to not invited someone whether for keeping it 'real' or to cause conflict to produce more drama. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, ghoulina said:

That had to have been the biggest WTF of the episode. I guess Dorinda was too busy trying to defuse Jules to notice any of the boorish things I'm sure John was doing. I bet he didn't have to go back to Queens alone that night. 

I agree. I didn't see anything wrong with what Carole said. I've seen many of us make speculations about what we think is wrong with all these reality tv personas. She didn't outright insist Lu had anything. I did like her description of her as a "decent woman trapped in an idea of who she should be". That's exactly how I see Lu. She can't let the Countess thing go. 

Yep.  And remember when Carole first met Lu?  She just didn't like her period.  It was her whole vibe, the Countess thing, I think there was a Native American/Indian reference that didn't go over well, etc,  Carole thought Lu was haughty,  Carole didn't even like the way that Lu played croquet if I remember correctly.  Sometimes people just don't like other people and that's okay, but as far as them ever becoming friends, it was going to be an uphill battle.    

• Love 8

That had to have been the biggest WTF of the episode. I guess Dorinda was too busy trying to defuse Jules to notice any of the boorish things I'm sure John was doing. I bet he didn't have to go back to Queens alone that night.

I also notice that Dorinda, as she has done in the past, was the one to start the PDA whereas when John tries to kiss her she acts like she would never engage in such behavior.

• Love 3

RHNY is unique in that B's stone cold tenacity and transparent obsession with her image runs the show.  Every episode the script is the same:  challenge me with something provocative and entertaining, but know your station.  In other words, create good entertainment, but make sure I'm always winning.  It's fascinating to watch these women navigate that simple, yet dangerous, directive, because it's clear that B's definition of challenging and winning is far different from what these women understand.  Moreover, regardless of their successful attempts, they may fall out of her favor for simply agreeing or disagreeing with the wrong principal or the wrong cast member at the wrong time regarding some inane issue.  They don't even know the difference sometimes until it's explained to them why they need to go make nice with B after B has already iced them out.

LU has really stepped up for her sheer resilience.  She's all "you can call me names, direspect me to my face and shame me all you want, but I'm still going to stick around for that coin."   She freely admitted being a bad listener, which is totally a B move (unbecoming traits explained away by self-deprecation).  Then, it was as if she decided to go in for the checkmate: "You're right!  I am a bad listener.  You know what?  I'm also an interrupter, so hear me out!"  DON'T WRECK MY HAPPINESS, YOU SUCCUBUS!"  B didn't know what to do because Lu was totally "owning" her faults in the most effective way, which was B's criticism of Lu all along. 

Did you see Lu's eyes light up when she instructed B to get another drink?  And this was right after she said "Who was on the verge, DUDE!?"   That was right up there with the uncool/cool remark.  Countess saying dude... It's my favorite word that means whatever you want it to mean based on context, so I fell in love with Lu in that exchange..  In one fail swoop, Lu transformed from Miss Manners to the Big Lebowski. The Countess just became The Dude.  

The mental gymnastics in this episode made it the greatest of all time.  Every segment was riddled with passive aggressive, unsolicited advice.  Even better, Ramona and Sonya's snarky comments and expressions about Lu's anticipated nuptuals came off like emotional espionage.  I loved it.  Good times.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, motorcitymom65 said:

My guess is that they are towing the Bravo rules. Andy has said several times that they are not forced to go on the vacations (remember how mad he was at Kelly when she said she was forced to go. He very firmly said that she was not telling the truth).  I believe the way he put it was that they put themselves in jeopardy for the next season if they don't go, because they miss out on a lot of camera time. A good portion of the reunion chatter has largely become about the group trips. A gal who doesn't go gets left out of a lot of the discussion which is bad news if you want to be asked back. Hence Lu's concern that she get an invite. My guess is that Lu will go and Carole will stay back home. Good on her for not being quite as thirsty, although it might not be good for her prospects for next season. 

Indeed.  On WWHL, Sonya was bemoaning the fact that she couldn't go to Dorinda's and claimed it was unfair because it's part of her job- she's part of the show.  Andy tilted his head at her and said something along the lines if "yeah, but they didn't want you to go and that's on you."  It was clear that not everyone gets to go on jaunts just because they are cast members; your actions have consequences.  For her and for me that was an enlightening clarification of bravo's rules.  She seemed taken aback for sure.  In fact, it's clear that the cast members aren't really sure what behavior is rewarded or punished...in which case, the show should be way more entertaining than it is.  Go figure.

• Love 6

Carole never liked Lu. She made fun of her, and was disgusted when she asked her friend designer for a dress, because Carole felt that was out of line for Lu to ask her friend to make her a dress, because she designs for important people like Michelle Obama. Then Carole was annoyed that Lu refused to feel embarrassed or apologize. I think it's a personality clash. Some people just aren't going to get along.

Jules is saying that it was hard to watch her marriage crumble on TV, but until this last episode I never really noticed anything. And this episode was the first time she really has complained about anything... and the first time I saw Michael be a jerk. It's weird too that Jules is mad at Michael for not being able to handle the missing nanny, but Jules isn't handling the missing nanny well either. 

• Love 5

Both Carole and Lu have stated they got to be close between seasons and they spent tons of time together including hanging out at least a few times with Nicole, Adam's ex and Luann's neice. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, bravofan27 said:

Carole never liked Lu. She made fun of her, and was disgusted when she asked her friend designer for a dress, because Carole felt that was out of line for Lu to ask her friend to make her a dress, because she designs for important people like Michelle Obama. Then Carole was annoyed that Lu refused to feel embarrassed or apologize. I think it's a personality clash. Some people just aren't going to get along.

Jules is saying that it was hard to watch her marriage crumble on TV, but until this last episode I never really noticed anything. And this episode was the first time she really has complained about anything... and the first time I saw Michael be a jerk. It's weird too that Jules is mad at Michael for not being able to handle the missing nanny, but Jules isn't handling the missing nanny well either. 

That is certainly how the relationship began in Carole's first season, but Carole is in her 4th season now, and lots of stuff happened in between. Both have said that they became very close, which of course we know because we saw it. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, breezy424 said:

My gosh.  Look at us.  We're discussing how someone pronounces 'kitten'.  It's pretty funny and I don't mean it in a criticism sort of way.  We're discussing the some of the silly things on these shows and here we are discussing the pronunciation of a word. 

IKR? It's like discussing Yolanda.  Dislike someone enough and every little thing about them becomes fodder. Even the way they talk.  And when it seems the majority of the forum dislikes them and each poster makes just one comment, it can go on for pages. 

At least Yolanda's weird pronunciations were because she was from anudder country.

4 minutes ago, motorcitymom65 said:

That is certainly how the relationship began in Carole's first season, but Carole is in her 4th season now, and lots of stuff happened in between. Both have said that they became very close, which of course we know because we saw it. 

Good morning, mcm.  Looks like another fine weather day in the Motor City. 

I think Carole and Lu are like oil and water.  They just rub each other the wrong way and likely always will.  Too bad they can't have an Ignore Button.  I personally can't remember any time when they weren't taking digs at each other.  When did this closeness happen that they are claiming?  I'm thinking maybe in Montana?  But seriously all I can remember from that is the backbiting of Heather and Kristen.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, bravofan27 said:

I believe that Carole and LuAnn had moved past the dress incident in part because I think that Carole made it obvious how much of a transgression she considered the dress request. The reality is that Naeem Khan gives free dresses to individuals who are prominent enough to serve as advertisement to his preferred customer. He's dressed Beyoncé, Taylor Swift, Jennifer Lopez, Penelope Cruz, Katy Perry, Kate Hudson, Michelle Obama, the Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, and Queen Noir of Jordan.

LuAnn was going to be doing a spread in Life & Style, which is a tabloid. He didn't need the publicity from a magazine that also has Farrah Abraham and other Z list reality stars on its cover. Naeem Khan's dresses run anywhere from $1000 - $20,000, which is probably out of the reach of your average Life & Style reader. It would have been such a hilarious mismatch that I doubt the magazine would have let her even wear the dress had she even gotten it. Delusional LuAnn kept acting like she would be doing him a favor if she wore one of his dresses.  The real issue is that Naeem Khan didn't need LuAnn's type of publicity and it was quite rude to hit up your host for a favor while you are a guest in his house, especially since this was the first time she had met him. Class with the Countess indeed. 

• Love 8
13 hours ago, KFC said:

But is Sonja really all that harmless?

Oh she definitely likes to party and have fun, but often she leaves a trail of rubble in her wake. She's lazy and just doesn't care how her actions affect other people, but then she hides behind this guise of being a carefree good-time girl to avoid being called out on it.

We've seen her be quite malicious and inconsiderate numerous times on the show: Barring Alex and Simon from speaking at the Marriage Equality New York event because Sonja demanded to be the only HW representative speaking at the event, showing up late to the toaster oven shoot Heather arranged, talking shit about Lu's clothing line behind her back, forcing all the other women to wait in the foyer last season before Atlantic City.

I just can't feel that bad for Sonja when any of the other women snap back at her. She's not really that harmless. She's pretty selfish and rude, but unlike a Ramona, Bethenny, or Luann, no one really calls her out on it. For some reason she gets the kid gloves treatment more often than not. She just gets yelled at for being delusional or partying too hard, which is really quite tame for a HW spat. So I'm kind of okay with Bethenny being a hard-ass about Tipsy Girl. She's right in that Sonja can't claim to be a naive know-nothing, when it's more like Sonja will try and hide behind that facade if it means she can get away with dirtier misdeeds.

I get why Bethenny is upset about TipsyGirl.   As for the rest, it's no worse than some of the others have done over the years -although the FoyerGate was a bit much.  But I do think that much of it is because just doesn't think.  And it's fine for the others to call her out on her behavior - I just think they are going overboard by ostracizing her to the extent that they are.

I still wonder if the alienation of LuAnn and Sonja has anything to do with the fact that they held out for more money. If this is true, Bethenny clearly wasn't happy

http://www.realitytea.com/2015/11/20/bethenny-frankel-says-real-housewives-new-york-easily-replaceable-ramona-singer-luann-de-lesseps-sonja-morgan-officially-back/

• Love 4
12 hours ago, ryebread said:

LOL.  The show, silly.  I only play for one team.  Although not literally a whole team. 

Understood! When I read, I take things literally - that's what makes me laugh and gets me in trouble.

------

The more I think about the Countess' dine and dash?

I worked with a woman who was the head nurse in the operating room - this job probably paid about 27 bucks an hour (This was 1990's cash) - and when we ordered food from the outside this bitch NEVER had any cash on her. It was always, "I'll pay you back later on" and she'd promptly un-remember - not a huge deal but it got.It got to the point where we would tell her the day before we were going to order out.

We realized that unless we told her, we'd never get any money from her. Had this happened a once or twice it would NOT have been a problem - but it got to the point where she EXPECTED us to pay for her food and she'd get back to us..

It solved one problem and started another? Telling her the day before, THAT led to her bringing a fucking change purse out and paying a 6-7 dollar lunch tab with nickels and dimes. Even tho it was a PITA, we stopped getting stiffed with HER lunch bill. 

If it bothers Methenny to get stuck with a bar bill, she should say something like, "Hey I left my wallet at home and just have enough money for a drink and cab fare home, otherwise I'd treat." to get Luann to pay her own way.  There are creative ways around problems, If you are 'smart' enough to run a marketing empire, but can't figure out how to get some one to pay a THEIR bar bill, you should think about changing your career.

Otherwise? STFU.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ryebread said:

IKR? It's like discussing Yolanda.  Dislike someone enough and every little thing about them becomes fodder. Even the way they talk.  And when it seems the majority of the forum dislikes them and each poster makes just one comment, it can go on for pages. 

At least Yolanda's weird pronunciations were because she was from anudder country.

Choos peek on da pee-pull be-cus of dere ak-zents? Dat is NOT whun uffda sines of dat Munchie-Whoosie or Wunchie-Moozin ting dat choos all ak-kuze me off!

• Love 4
7 hours ago, lampwick said:

RHNY is unique in that B's stone cold tenacity and transparent obsession with her image runs the show.  Every episode the script is the same:  challenge me with something provocative and entertaining, but know your station.  In other words, create good entertainment, but make sure I'm always winning.  It's fascinating to watch these women navigate that simple, yet dangerous, directive, because it's clear that B's definition of challenging and winning is far different from what these women understand.  Moreover, regardless of their successful attempts, they may fall out of her favor for simply agreeing or disagreeing with the wrong principal or the wrong cast member at the wrong time regarding some inane issue.  They don't even know the difference sometimes until it's explained to them why they need to go make nice with B after B has already iced them out.

LU has really stepped up for her sheer resilience.  She's all "you can call me names, direspect me to my face and shame me all you want, but I'm still going to stick around for that coin."   She freely admitted being a bad listener, which is totally a B move (unbecoming traits explained away by self-deprecation).  Then, it was as if she decided to go in for the checkmate: "You're right!  I am a bad listener.  You know what?  I'm also an interrupter, so hear me out!"  DON'T WRECK MY HAPPINESS, YOU SUCCUBUS!"  B didn't know what to do because Lu was totally "owning" her faults in the most effective way, which was B's criticism of Lu all along. 

Did you see Lu's eyes light up when she instructed B to get another drink?  And this was right after she said "Who was on the verge, DUDE!?"   That was right up there with the uncool/cool remark.  Countess saying dude... It's my favorite word that means whatever you want it to mean based on context, so I fell in love with Lu in that exchange..  In one fail swoop, Lu transformed from Miss Manners to the Big Lebowski. The Countess just became The Dude.  

The mental gymnastics in this episode made it the greatest of all time.  Every segment was riddled with passive aggressive, unsolicited advice.  Even better, Ramona and Sonya's snarky comments and expressions about Lu's anticipated nuptuals came off like emotional espionage.  I loved it.  Good times.

This! This is a thing of beauty.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ryebread said:

That's just some bitch eating crackers like she owns the place.

And yet we were still subjected to Yolanda mispronouncing Munchausen, which is Germanic name. Yolanda is from the Netherlands and speaks Dutch (a Germanic language) and actual German.

Carole pronounces things certain ways because she has a regional accent. I sent this out to all of my friends and it's fairly accurate. Where I grew up has a very distinct regional accent. I consciously worked to not have that accent, but even still the quiz identified that I have a combination a slightly Midwestern and mid-Atlantic accent. This basically corresponds to exactly where I grew up. It's also a fun exercise to learn how other people pronounce certain words.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0

• Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Oh I forgot to mention that when  Carole was reading her intro for the cookbook, I shouted "you are not a GIRL!" 

I'm Carole's age and I refer to myself as a girl lots of times. I always remind my husband that I am an indoor girl. ?

Edited by ButterQueen
  • Love 9