Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: Restitution

I didn't see that coming either! Ugh!! I had always hoped that when they ended the show, Boyd would be entering the witness protection program. Based on Ava flipping, I guess we will see Boyd in a body bag.

Great finale tonight!

• Love 1

I'm so glad they killed Darryl that way.  Loved that Tim and Rachel got to be badass. 

Boyd has more lives than the proverbial cat. I figured when they said they were going after Boyd they'd flip Ava. As much as I am entertained by Boyd I'm so glad they got Ava out of prison I wouldn't care if she'd shanked him there on the porch. That storyline was a whole bunch of a dead end to me.

This was some of TO's finest work as Raylan - that scene with Kendall IMO. That's when I buy Raylan as a good guy. I needed more of those scenes this season. Glad Art lives. Could someone please let poor Winona get a nap? 

• Love 2

Yeah, as soon as the lawyer said the case collapsed, I gulped and said "Here it comes, Boyd."  A little bit of dark humor at the reunion:  "Are those bullet holes?"

Tim and Rachel:  You won, but next time, put your suspects on the ground, face down from the start.  And go to the range, 'cause you missed the first few shots from 20'.  Or bring a shotgun.

That scene with Kendall.  Rayland knew exactly how to pull his strings, and I really hurt for Kendall.  Having said that, relative to the line above, killing someone, even in the line of duty, should have a much greater effect on the marshals than is shown.  They are human.

I wonder what Raylan is going to tell Wynona now.

• Love 1
(edited)

I knew something that was wrong when Ava got out. It made no sense. She was in there for murdering that guy not stabbing the guard. However, I think Boyd knows that she made a deal though. She and Raylan do not know that Boyd tried to get the guard to recant, but that he was too crazy to do it. Also, Rachel mistakenly gave Boyd a heads up that they would be coming after him. Boyd is too smart not to put two and two together. I do find it hard to believe that the prosecutor would agree through all this trouble to nail Boyd who is petty criminal is the grand scheme of crime in Kentucky. 

Boyd was so close to getting out, but he can never resist temptation. Now he will be robbing banks. He will be prison or dead at the end of next season. The only happy ending that I can see is if he flips on Duffy and that woman and ends up in witness protection with Ava.

I thought the saddest part of the episode was Jimmy's death. I really liked him. He was loyal to Boyd to the end and deserved to go down with the ship next season.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

As soon as I saw Ava was released, I knew she was being turned.  It was the only way I could see her just getting released.

Thank goodness they killed Darryl.  I figured they would do the whole "avoid Raylan being the one to pull the trigger", but I'm glad it was at Wendy's hands instead, because, yeah, that would make it so much worse for him, to know it was her that took his life away.  It still doesn't make up for how lame his character was.  In the end, the Crowes did not work.  I would have much rather we just saw Dewey this season, and that be it.

Loved seeing plenty of Rachel and Tim tonight.  Tim in particular, got a lot of great lines, but I loved Rachel throwing it down on Boyd.  As much as I'm happy that Art has pulled through, I almost just want him to retire now, and let Rachel run the show.  I really, really hope that Tim and Rachel are featured heavily next season, because I think that they would be wanting Boyd to fall just as hard as Raylan does.

Glad that Duffy is still alive, and it seems like he and Katherine are now going to use Boyd's "skills" to start bank robbing?  I wonder what this all about.

RIP, Jimmy.  I was actually sad to see that dumbass bite it.

So, basically, I think the final season has been set, as I thought it would be.  Boyd will be the main baddie (along with Duffy/Katherine), and all the big players seemed to be involved (Raylan, Tim/Rachel, Ava, maybe Art.)  Overall, these last few episodes were great, but it was just so frustrating.  Basically, I think they had the right destination here, but they just took a underwhelming road to get here.  I think they could have found much better ways to get to this place.  I still mainly blame the Crowes.  I still think they would have been better off making Johnny the big baddie this season, if they wanted to go there.

• Love 1

Happiest moment of the episode was seeing Darryl get killed so I know he won't be returning. Rappport was awful on this show. That said,these final 2 eps felt the Justified I have come to know and love. I'm nervous about where the final season will go because Raylon has become darker this season than ever before. I can't help but wonder how much truth there was in that story he told Kendal because he really didn't seem to have any problem using Kendal or Ava to get what he wants.

I know Ava & Boyd are criminals, but finding out that Ava flipped made me sad. I knew last season when they had that pipe dream about that house up the hill that they would never live there, I just never imagined them ending up here.

I know next season has a lot of ends to tie up, but I kind of hope we see the Harris brothers again.

• Love 3

I'm generally okay with whatever Raylan does, but I just didn't like the way he brushed off Ava's confession that she was scared. It wouldn't have been easy for her to admit that to him, and for him to just dismiss it with a glib "Everything will be alright" was all kinds of wrong. Everything will not be alright. Doesn't he watch his own show? ;) Ava will be in constant danger, and Boyd is smart and usually able to stay 1-2 steps ahead of everyone. I don't know how he couldn't put two and two together and realize there's something fishy about Ava's release. I expect Boyd will spend the final season playing both ends against the middle and coming out smelling like roses.

Here's a question I missed the answer to: how was Ava ever considered a drug kingpin in prison? Boyd never came through with any drugs for her, did he? So why was everyone treating her like she was the supplier?

I'm sad that the show started out with Boyd telling Raylan he was his only good friend, and the final season will be the two at war.

• Love 1
(edited)

SimoneS, I agree.  Boyd knows. He's gonna have to fight between his love for Ava and his desire to stay alive and free.  And that's a story Justified ought to be telling, so there's hope for S6.

I want to know who was singing our favorite song at the end of the episode.  Was that the Patty Loveless version?

So are we going to get a S6 that takes place over 2 weeks (or whatever time Raylan said he had before his move)?  I've always expected that Raylan would leave Harlan alive -- because Boyd doesn't -- and after seeing Winona and baby, I hope I'm right.  OTOH, as a northerner through and through (I served my time in TX but have been released), I can never quite wrap my head around the idea that anyone dreams of moving permanently to Florida. :-)

Good riddance to this season.  Not up to par, or even a bogie.

Edited by mrsdalgliesh
  • Love 1

Yeah, "Justified" seasons typically only span a few weeks, so Raylan can help get Boyd and still transfer.  I think Raylan even told Winona it would take a couple of weeks for the transfer to be processed and approved.

I don't think Boyd is suspicious of Ava's release - yet.  He has been through the wringer since she has been away and he has been off his game this season.  I will call bullshit if he doesn't begin to have suspicions as next season progresses but I buy that he hasn't worked that puzzle out immediately.

And now Boyd doesn't even have a crew!  Who is he going to do these bank jobs with?

I can totally see the series ending just as the pilot did.  Raylan, Boyd, and Ava in her dining room all waiting to see who pulls first and who dies.

• Love 1
Here's a question I missed the answer to: how was Ava ever considered a drug kingpin in prison? Boyd never came through with any drugs for her, did he? So why was everyone treating her like she was the supplier?

Judith was whoring out her crew to get drugs in so mostly they were just happy to no longer be under her rule. Ava was stalling on a promise of getting drugs in and rapidly running out of time. That's part of the reason why it was easy for them to turn their back on her once the implications of snitching arose.

I want to know who was singing our favorite song at the end of the episode.  Was that the Patty Loveless version?

According to Alan Sepinwell this version was by this one was by the Ruby Friedman Orchestra.

• Love 1

Alicia Witt was killing it.

Raylan was terrifying in that last scene with the dying Darryl.

This season was uneven, but there were plenty of shining moments. Mostly, though, it just seemed like a lot of setup for a truly epic finale season, so I'm excited for it.

• Love 2

mrsdalgliesh, I agree that this season has been subpar. It has excruciating getting through many of these episodes. I hope the final season is plotted tighter and much better written.

Ultimately I want Boyd, Ava, and Raylan to all get out of Harlan alive, but that is not likely.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm glad this season is over.

I hope next season with Raylan vs. Boyd is excellent, and they don't bring in any more lame villains.

I loved the scenes in the hospital with Art, Rachel, Tim and Raylan.

Boyd getting Tim and Rachel to rescue him is classic Boyd.  The man has more lives than a cat.

Edited by TigerLynx

I'm with Ohwell on this one - there's no way Boyd doesn't think Ava has switched sides. He's been in the game long enough to see that coming for all the reasons we saw it coming.

I like the way this episode has set up the final season - of which I have very high hopes.

• Love 2

I was completely bored by the finale. How disappointing. I imagine it's setting up the right final season - Ava, Raylan and Boyd in a sort of dance of death - but I just didn't care about this episode.

I did care that Jimmy was killed, poor bastard. And I liked seeing a good amount of Rachel and Tim. But other than that, I was left cold.

Another ep, another reference to Tim's erections. Jacob Pitts is just teasing us now.

I'm looking forward to Mary Steenburgen being the Big Bad next year. I'm ready for a better class of criminal.

• Love 1
(edited)

I love this show, but this was the worst season of Justified yet (especially with the majority of the episodes not having very many scenes for Rachel and Tim, not to mention Wynn Duffy). It's really a shame, but hopefully the final season really brings it. I wonder how the season would have played out if the JB character had been around longer. I had heard that the actor wanted out earlier than was originally planned and they had to rewrite several episodes to accommodate this.

While I love Dewey and Damon Herriman, the whole Crowe family thing this season just did not work very well (the Bennetts they definitely were not). Michael Rapaport was absolutely the wrong choice to play Darryl Crowe Jr. for many reasons but not the least of which was his awful accent.  I found an article on EW that states:

"Rapaport was offered the role of the smart gator farmer/hustler contingent on him being able to do a Southern accent."

How did they end up casting him if it was contingent upon the accent? Have none of the casting people ever heard a Southern accent? It was so horrible it totally took me out of most of the scenes he was in. The guy that played Kendall's real Dad, "Uncle Jack" would probably have been a better choice - as would a cardboard cutout with someone dubbing over the voice in a more realistic accent.

In addition to this, there was also an article that TV Line put out when it was announced that Rapaport would be joining the cast that said (I think the character was initially going to be called Dale instead of Darryl):

"Rapaport will play Dale Crowe, Jr., the sexy and charismatic patriarch of a white-trash Florida crime family. Dale’s an ex-convict who owns a gator farm; he is smart, savvy and ruthless, all in the name of family."

Sexy and charismatic? No way Rapaport portrayed either of these things, especially the sexy part. I've never found him all that attractive, but in his younger days he may have passed as kind of cute but no way does he qualify for sexy.

I also wasn't too thrilled with Amy Smart and her character and didn't really see any chemistry with Raylan at all though I do think that Alicia Witt did a decent job with her role overall.

The last two or three episodes were the best all season, though it is a low bar. I think they've set things up fairly well for the final season especially as the main villain will be Boyd (love Walton Goggins) and we hopefully won't be subjected to another Darryl Crowe-esq subpar cartoon villain.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 2
(edited)

A very very satisfying episode.  Like everyone, glad the Crowes are gone.  They were not up to our usual villian level.  More like dumb bumpkins.  But enough about the Crowes.  Fly away,be gone. 

I will just ditto what everyone has said mostly about last night's show.  Great cast involvement with snappy dialogue. (even mention of Arlo in Raylan's story to Kendell.) 

Of course Boyd knows, or is suspicious.  He is a thinker and will figure it out sooner or later.  It must have killed Ava a little not to at least give a hug to Boyd when she saw him.  I know she feels he left her out to dry, and she has hardened.....  It says a lot that I felt sorry for Boyd when she just walked by him into her home and shut the door.  So many possibiities with this Ava/flip scenario.  Will Ava be able go through with the "flip" to help Raylan and the marshalls take down Boyd?  Will silver-tongued-devil Boyd get back in her good graces and turn the tables?  Interesting how this will hinge quite a bit on Ava. 

Loved the last scene on the bridge with the "theme" song playing.  I can see both Boyd and Raylan dying, perhaps at each other's hand/shootout, and never leaving Harlan alive (with memories of them running out of the mine playing in their heads).  It just doesn't seem in the cards for Raylan to be a father to his baby girl.  This show is not about "happily ever after." 

Looking forward to the big season 6 finale.

Edited by BlueMountains
(edited)

But seriously... how turned on was I by Deputy U.S. Marshal Rachel Brooks...?

And I was devastated that Jimmy died.  DEVASTATED.  All last week, all I could say was that I hoped that Jimmy would live.  They always kill off my favorite characters: Hank/Breaking Bad, Turani/Homeland - and yet, Fitz lives.

And, and I have no feelings about Ava flipping on Boyd - I'm still bitter that he didn't ask for her release when he was cooperating with the Marshals a couple weeks back.  Oh well.

Edited by VLove
  • Love 1
(edited)

Even if Raylan got to Florida, I can't see him as an involved father. He did not even bother visiting the baby when he was there going after the Crowes. I am surprised that Winona even suggested the possibility, after all she knows him as well as Boyd. Raylan would be the kind of father that stops by once or twice every six months at most. Raylan has been too scarred by Arlo and his obsession with his work would always come first. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
(edited)

Even if Raylan got to Florida, I can't see him as an involved father. He did not even bother visiting the baby when he was there going after the Crowes. I am surprised that Winona even suggested the possibility, after all she knows him as well as Boyd.

Winona being happy that Raylan will be transferring to Florida seems kind of off to me as well since trouble always follows him. He already has enemies there and he is certain to make more so with all that happened in Kentucky I would think Winona would be pretty scared for the safety of their daughter as well as her own.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 2

And I was devastated that Jimmy died.  DEVASTATED.  All last week, all I could say was that I hoped that Jimmy would live.

I teared up a little bit--I'll admit.  Jimmy and Aunt Helen are the only two deaths so far I've really been upset about.  I was surprised when Arlo got it but not really sad--same for Cousin Johnny.  Poor Jimmy.  He got bit in the face by a snake!  Didn't he already suffer enough?

I'll also admit that I fast-forwarded right through the prison scenes.  I could not have cared less about it.  I have hopes for Ava's storyline next season but this one was just way too boring.

And Daryl's death was great.  Regardless of all the other reasons, he deserved getting shot in the balls purely for causing Tim's accident.  

• Love 2

Maybe on rewatch the season will work like season 2 of The Wire. About the only thing this finale did for me was set up Boyd's story next season

milaxx, thank you!   I've never heard that version and wanted to download it.

I can totally see the series ending just as the pilot did.  Raylan, Boyd, and Ava in her dining room all waiting to see who pulls first and who dies.

Oh my.  That could be sweet.

• Love 2

I was sad to see Jimmy go. Glad Kendal and Wendy got out. Not surprised Ava turned on Boyd, but not sure that's going to last, either.  Curious about Kathryn and the role she's going to play next year.  So glad that Art's going to be okay.  Great to see Winona, and that is one gorgeous baby girl. The skype chat made it obvious that these two people love each other.  Winona needs Raylan's help in raising that baby (and a nap!), and Raylan wants to be a better father than he had.  Here's hoping he makes it to Miami in next year's finale.

• Love 1

Does anyone else think that Ava's supposed to be going through the same thing Boyd did in series 1-2? (Perhaps less rivetingly, but still.) She commits 100% & figures out the details later, (I think both her Raylan & Boyd experiences attest to this).

Tim is Rayaln's padawan.

Pretty good end to a disappointing season.  It was only in the last several episodes that the show started to show some signs of life, but I guess it's better late than never.

Boyd pitching the Vegas deal to the Mexican henchmen was just classic.  He is so charismatic, I'd fall in love with him listening to him recite the phone book.  I think Ava and Boyd still love each other, so we should see a lot of angst from Boyd, Ava, and Raylan next season.  This finale was definitely a game-changer, and IMO it was really handled well.  It made me want more -- and long for a satisfying closure.  Can't say I felt that way earlier in the season.  I'm glad the show redeemed itself.

I wonder if Kendal will ever re-enter Raylan's life... 

Boyd pitching the Vegas deal to the Mexican henchmen was just classic. 

I don't know, I felt it was a sign of his hubris (among other things) to assume that professional enforcers of a significant Mexican drug cartel could be bought with some bricks of heroin and a free trip to Vegas and he got just the answer he deserved. But it did make sense in the context of him generally not being on top of his game all season.

Regarding the question whether he knows that Ava has been flipped: I think he knows or at least suspects that something's up. I rewatched the part when he hears the news and felt that you could see his wheels start turning right away. He also kept looking at Ava in an odd way, as if he wanted to ask not only "is this real?" but "are you for real?". It can only be a matter of time until he connects the coincidence of Ava's sudden release with Rachel's threat from earlier.

I'll miss Jimmy, I've always liked him because he seemed like a smart guy (except for his chosen line of work) and the actor played it beautifully both last episode and in the finale.

• Love 2

Remember these closing lines from Season 1 Bulletville finale?

"Boyd: I'm pretty sure you're empty.

Raylan: You gonna bet your life on that?

Boyd: No Raylan. I'm gonna bet my life on you being the only friend I have left in this world."

Full circle from there to the series finale.  Will the "friendship" be the death of one or both?

• Love 2

I was so hoping that this previously weak season would end strong and it really did.  We got Tim and Rachel and even a little bit of Art along with Manipulatively Reminiscing Raylan and even a small tour de force from Kendall.  Ms. Crowe's revenge on her horrible brother while Raylan watched was long overdue and Raylan's last words to Daryl were terrifying.  Ava's increasingly dire situation was wrenching to watch and I don't think anyone would blame her for her decision to flip on Boyd.  But I'm with several others in wondering if she will stay flipped or if she will turn double agent.  That could set up some interesting scenarios.

• Love 2

So Darryl's character was supposed to be written as sexy and charismatic?  Boy, did they miscast because Rappaport was just nasty creepy.  I hate to admit I was even thinking this, but for a moment there with the final confrontation between him and Wendy, I thought Wendy was going to say that he was Kendall's father.   Wendy just seemed too affected (for lack of a better word) by her brother.  I mean, I've got a brother and even though he's grown, he couldn't rattle me like Darryl rattled Wendy.  So what I'm saying is, I thought the relationship was rather creepy.  

I think that Rachel overplayed her hand with Boyd  by threatening him because I would expect that he'd be smart enough to put 2 and 2 together, as soon as he found out that Ava got out of prison.  For all Rachel knows, Boyd could figure things out and possibly kill Ava.  Now, I think that Boyd truly loves Ava and wouldn't harm a hair on her head, but the point is that Rachel doesn't know that and she could have unwittingly put Ava in danger.

Poor Jimmy.  I thought he would make it out alive but I guess that was too much to hope for.  You lie down with dogs......... 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2

I felt it was a sign of his hubris (among other things)

I would say one of the other things was desperation. He really had no options.

I think they need to have Boyd be aware of what is going on with Ava. It won't be believable to me otherwise.

Edited by Endeavour

Unfortunately (or fortunately), he's no match for Loretta.  She's much more mature than he is, and much craftier.  She would pound him into dog meat.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

I felt it was a sign of his hubris (among other things)

I would say one of the other things was desperation. He really had no options.

I agree with what both of you are saying.  I think it's a little bit of both.  But it's how he delivers the pitch.  He could be desperate or panicking inside, and yet, he is still so entertaining and charismatic.  I don't know how many times he got out of sticky situations like this with his eloquence and charisma alone.

By the by, on a completely superficial note, has anyone noticed that both Goggins and Olyphant (almost) have knock-knees and that they both walk in a similar manner?  Somehow, I think that adds to their swagger, which I find very sexy... 

I'm really going to miss the characters when it's all over.  There should be a season 6 wish list thread!

I think part of Olyphant's odd gait is due to the fact he may not be used to wearing some of the boots he has on in the show. I wear cowboys boots pretty much everyday (a side effect of living on a ranch) and the boots with regular heels aren't a big deal, it's like walking in regular shoes. Riding heels though, which I noticed on Raylan at least once this season, are totally different--at least for me. The extra height can make walking a little weird and it seems like that happened here. In one of the last episodes it was so bad it was almost distracting. 

So Darryl's character was supposed to be written as sexy and charismatic?  Boy, did they miscast because Rappaport was just nasty creepy.  I hate to admit I was even thinking this, but for a moment there with the final confrontation between him and Wendy, I thought Wendy was going to say that he was Kendall's father.   Wendy just seemed too affected (for lack of a better word) by her brother.  I mean, I've got a brother and even though he's grown, he couldn't rattle me like Darryl rattled Wendy.  So what I'm saying is, I thought the relationship was rather creepy.  

Yeah, I did not get "sexy and charismatic" off him at all. What they did do a good job with in casting him was the purely physical characteristics. There is enough resemblance between Michael Rappaport and the actor who plays Dewey that the 2 of them being cousins was completely believable. Maybe that overshadowed everything else during the selection process. In any event, I'm glad the Crowe storyline is wrapped up for good, and I'm glad that Wendy was the one who gave Darryl what he had coming. And I think Alicia Witt was pretty good in her role. I've always liked her, and her character here had its strengths.

I'm wondering if Ava's intention is to try and play both ends against the middle, by telling Boyd that she's informing on him to Raylan. I think Ava does love Boyd, and I have to say I do love them as a couple. And if Boyd has not figured out what's going on by halfway into the first episode of Season 6, (if he hasn't figured it out already) I'll be quite disappointed.

• Love 1

VLove: "And yet, Fitz lives." I love it, and I agree.

Every episode (and have only been watching since Season 3) I'm more and more gobsmacked by what an incredible actor Walter Goggins is. Not that the rest of the main cast isn't terrific, but Goggins is just unbelievable - not a false line reading from him ever. Must look him up and see what else he's done.

• Love 1

Inquistionist, until I watched The Shield, I hadn't yet experienced the light of the Walton Goggins Experience, either.   I have been a huge fan ever since. 

Very curious about what Season 6 has in store and I, too, though Rapaport was miscast as Darryl Crowe.  That ignore-my-New-York-and-hackneyed-accent-no-really-I'm-from-Florida inflection was BRUTAL. 

Edited by Tucson Mike