Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Our Spoiler and Speculation Topic

• Start Topic

I read this speculation--which is presented as a spoiler, but it's really just one person's notion of what happened-- on some FB post...and people are so excited about it. It's egregiously terrible, if it were to actually be a thing. But the folks there are acting like it's some kind of master class of television idea. I don't get people. I think it's been alluded to, the basic notion of it, here before.

SPOILER! People we all missed this--the last scene .. Jack in the black shirt, the speech, the wink.. Rebecca's glowing in the light face-- jack was already dead! he went out the night of the fight when she went up to bed, died that very night, in the morning when she came to look for him -- he was already gone. This was the "sixth sense movie type" of scene!! The writers knew exactly what they were doing. We saw Rebecca go to bed the night before.. that was it. Even in the very last scene when he "leaves" she is staring out the window toying with her necklace-- not looking at the door - this is what has never been done on tv before.. (you'll see in the scene earlier with him in heaven with William laughing he has on the red plaid shirt, same shirt he was wearing the night of the fight. Clean shaven jack sitting on the sofa in the black shirt in the morning - Jack was a ghost. The writers knew we would be mad but will show how Jack died in the very first episode, hence it was all still the night Kate told him to go after mom.

Ugh.

• Love 2

I got nauseous just reading that.  What is it with people and ghost love?  (And Jack wasn't clean shaven, iirc.)  

And I can't stand when someone leads into their speculation with "SPOILER!" or spoiler bars.  I don't care how much you love your own theory, a theory is a theory.  

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:31 AM, luna1122 said:

I read this speculation--which is presented as a spoiler, but it's really just one person's notion of what happened-- on some FB post...and people are so excited about it. It's egregiously terrible, if it were to actually be a thing. But the folks there are acting like it's some kind of master class of television idea. I don't get people. I think it's been alluded to, the basic notion of it, here before.

Ugh.

Good Lord, maybe Rebecca will be sculpting a pot and Jack's ghost will come up behind her and finish it.  Perhaps we can hire Whoopi Goldberg as a medium.

This is horrible, but I could see it happening on the show.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, qtpye said:

Good Lord, maybe Rebecca will be sculpting a pot and Jack's ghost will come up behind her and finish it.  Perhaps we can hire Whoopi Goldberg as a medium.

This is horrible, but I could see it happening on the show.

Now we just need to see Rebecca and Whoopi in a lesbian ghost handing touching scene.

• Love 1

Has anyone read this theory

This has led some fans to suggest that perhaps the character will be revealed to have been in a different real-life plane crash, namely USAir Flight 427, which was traveling from Chicago to Pittsburgh, a.k.a. the Pearsons' hometown. The plane tragically went down in September 1994 while attempting to land at Pittsburgh International Airport, and there were no survivors.

The theory is mostly based on throwaway lines, like Kate and Kevin being afraid of flying, Kevin destroying his model airplanes he made with Jack after he died etc.

• Love 1

At this point, we know Jack is alive in February, 1996. The kids still are 15 so I guess he could indeed die sometime over the next 6 months, but then again, Dan Folgelman did say "16 or 17." The plan might have originally been 15 i.e. early/mid-1996 but they might have stretched it out another year or two.

I guess the pool scene is summer 1989 given that they're supposed to be 8 and they don't turn 9 until the end of it. Man, I wish they could have had music actually representative of 1989 in that episode, because everything that played at that pool was from the early/mid-1980's.

34 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

Spoilers seem to be on lock down. 

I don't really think this is the show that needs spoilers to drum up anticipation for a new season.  I mean, I like reading spoilers as much as the next person, but what do we really have coming up that could benefit from a spoiler?  How Jack died?  Honestly, I'm not convinced that they'll tell us this season (although I'd like them to, simply because it's starting to feel like they are either just stringing the audience along or, even worse, don't actually know how Jack dies and are trying to buy themselves time). 

• Love 1

As actual Sly Stallone? That can be a nice little wink to Milo playing Rocky's son.

I'm calling it- Kevin walks off on the set when he realizes that he must choose between his career and his extremely boring ex-wife.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, methodwriter85 said:

I'm calling it- Kevin walks off on the set when he realizes that he must choose between his career and his extremely boring ex-wife.

Sigh.  Sadly, I agree on this prediction.  If they hadn't upped the actress to a series regular role this year, I could have still lived in hope that she was just a momentary blast from the past that Kevin needed to get his head on straight.  Instead, I think @methodwriter85 is right on the money and we're all in for a season of drama from the inert Kevin and Sophie story.

• Love 1

I clicked through some clickbait on facebook about Sly Stallone, and found something interesting--- Mandy Moore instagrammed a bunch of photos from the set, typical actor stuff, but one photo was of a hat with the slogan "Big Three Construction", as if Jack actually does still have time to get the construction business going before he dies. Might explain why they seem to be rather wealthy in the later years. Make of this what you will.

• Love 2
On 8/11/2017 at 5:40 PM, ZeroDiscipline said:

I clicked through some clickbait on facebook about Sly Stallone, and found something interesting--- Mandy Moore instagrammed a bunch of photos from the set, typical actor stuff, but one photo was of a hat with the slogan "Big Three Construction", as if Jack actually does still have time to get the construction business going before he dies. Might explain why they seem to be rather wealthy in the later years. Make of this what you will.

More likely that they made that hat as a kind of a memorial to him. Or maybe Miguel set it up. That would be a logical way of having Miguel and Rebecca getting closer if he's working on a company that the Pearsons will have a stake in.

The late 90's is such a booming construction time in Pittsburgh I'm sure they're just going to take off!

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I am an Urban Planner (career change). I am glad to see this because I am a geek.

I've actually thought a lot about getting an urban planning degree to go with my public history degree so I can be a historian with an emphasis on the history of urban renewal after failing to crack the museum field.

That seems like a reasonable way to have William be on the show given that he won't get to interact with the family as much unless we do a lot of flashbacks to the 7 months he was living with Randall's family.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I've actually thought a lot about getting an urban planning degree to go with my public history degree so I can be a historian with an emphasis on the history of urban renewal after failing to crack the museum field.

My undergraduate degree is in English Literature with an emphasis in Creative Writing.   I went to graduate school nine years later for my Planning degree.

I have little interest in a Beth/Randall adoption storyline, and less than zero interest in any more William/Jesse plot.  William's/Randall's plot completely took over the last part of last season in a very melodramatic way.  I'm done with it.

12 hours ago, deaja said:

I have little interest in a Beth/Randall adoption storyline, and less than zero interest in any more William/Jesse plot.  William's/Randall's plot completely took over the last part of last season in a very melodramatic way.  I'm done with it.

I really rolled my eyes hard at seeing William and his mother reunite in heaven. That was just way too much. A flashback to his life would have been fine, but that just went way over the line.

I would actually find the the adoption storyline more palatable if they actually wound up adopting an older kid (maybe early teens?) with a lot of emotional baggage.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, AriAu said:

Given all the melodrama/twists&turns or this show, it is pretty shocking that there are no spoilers-Fogelman must keep a pretty tight lid on everyone and everything!

Well, really the only spoiler-worthy thing is how Jack died...and I'm not actually convinced that Fogelman knows how that happened yet.  I also no longer care.

Otherwise, this is a show that plays out as it plays out (not necessarily a bad thing).

• Love 1

Well, really the only spoiler-worthy thing is how Jack died

Last year there were several pretty spoiler-worthy soap opera"ie" twists like Miguel, Toby's heart attack, Sophie being behind the door, Miguel, Jack being dead/in the urn,  William being gay,MIGUEL.....

and if you don't think there will be more

• Love 1

Fogelman: Jack's Vietnam experience will be a "slow build"

The casual fan of the show might just think as they’re watching the “Landslide” montage with Jack, “Oh, wow, some of what happened to Jack in Vietnam clearly had a bigger effect on his life and history than we realized.” I think the closer fans would say, “Huh, this is very different than what he had [said] on the show his experience in Vietnam was.’ And it’s something where if you’re watching like that, it’s intentional. We’ve certainly been watching — and everybody should be watching — Ken Burns’ documentary on PBS right now; it’s insanely good. We’ll certainly get deeper into it as we go. Obviously all war is horrific and tricky, but Vietnam was a very tricky war at a very tricky time, and the things that people experienced are often buried within families for many years is something we’ve found. Jack has clearly has packed a lot of stuff down and part of his journey, through the steps of AA moving forward, is going to have to, as he says in the next episode, sit in some of the stuff that he’s avoided for so long. Which is a scary thing for Jack.

We’re going to learn a lot. It’s going to be a slow build. In terms of the Jack story line, this season is very much focused on how we get to what happened at the end of episode 1 — that fire. How did Jack die? And how does he deal with his treatment of alcoholism and how does it affect his relationships with his family and the Rebecca. That’s the focus of the season. But you can’t explore this man without understanding what happened to him, very specifically in Vietnam, so that’s going to be a longer story that we’ll slowly start embarking on this season — and really will be a bigger part of the future of the show.

Based on the preview I'm worried even more about this foster care storyline. In the clip you can see the girl looking scared and running to a corner when Randall enters the room during an altercation with Beth. Seeing that fear, I hope we aren't going to see Randall be accused of inappropriate behavior as this child adjusts to a male caretaker. 

• Love 2

I have no interest in stories about Jack in Vietnam.  The article above makes it sound  a bit inspired by Mad Men.  

On 10/4/2017 at 3:49 PM, Bean421 said:

Based on the preview I'm worried even more about this foster care storyline. In the clip you can see the girl looking scared and running to a corner when Randall enters the room during an altercation with Beth. Seeing that fear, I hope we aren't going to see Randall be accused of inappropriate behavior as this child adjusts to a male caretaker. 

Oh good god, of course we will!  I missed the preview.   I knew the child would cause trouble but I was thinking stealing or drugs.  There is going to be a long drawn out, 'will he/won't he' go to prison because of her lies.   Yep, they are just like us.   Hysterical! 

On 10/5/2017 at 10:37 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

I have no interest in stories about Jack in Vietnam.  The article above makes it sound  a bit inspired by Mad Men.  

I have zero interest, too.  This war has been done to death. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

Mandy was just on Today.  Clues to Jacks death include Kevin in a cast, the new dog and redheaded girlfriend standing next to Randall.  Burned house is only part of the story, of course.  Who didn't pick up on that one.  

She used the word girlfriend, hmmmm.  Randall may be stepping out.  Fine with me I don't like either of them.  lol

On 10/8/2017 at 8:06 PM, CelticBlackCat said:

Every time I see old Rebecca I think I'm looking at Sally Field with Diane Keaton hair!

That's it!  Thanks.  

Edited by wings707
4 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Many was just on Today.  Clues to Jacks death include Kevin in a cast, the new dog and redheaded girlfriend standing next to Randall.  Burned house is only part of the story, of course.  Who didn't pick up on that one.  

She used the word girlfriend, hmmmm.  Randall may be stepping out.  Fine with me I don't like either of them.  lol

That's it!  Thanks.  

Who was on Today and who is she who used the word girlfriend?

1 minute ago, CelticBlackCat said:

Who was on Today and who is she who used the word girlfriend?

Mandy Moore.  She said everything I posted, she was talking to Hoda and Kathy Lee.  

ETA. Oh I see, I left the D out of Mandy.  lol

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
Just now, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Whom would he be stepping out on? His mother? He's just a teenager.

Ah.  I didn't realize that was in the same time frame.  They jump all over the goddamn place.  Now that I think about it, of course he is a teen.  

• Love 1

Fogelman said Vietnam would go on for many shows, maybe season 3.  Not what I wanted to hear but I guess he wanted to go with that story line.  He said "We're going to learn a lot. It's going to be a slow build. In terms of the Jack storyline, this season is very much focused on how we get to what happened at the end of Episode 1 — that fire. How did Jack die? And how does he deal with his treatment of alcoholism and how does it affect his relationships with his family and the Rebecca. That's the focus of the season. But you can't explore this man without understanding what happened to him, very specifically in Vietnam, so that's going to be a longer story that we'll slowly start embarking on this season — and really will be a bigger part of the future of the show."

• Love 2

I'm beginning to wonder (again) if Jack had committed suicide.  Jack telling Rebecca how hard it is to go to AA, etc. speech.  Also, families of suicides have a really hard time accepting and getting over their loved one's death, much like the Pearsons.

I know you'll be saying: But he died in the house fire!  Maybe a fire occurred around the same time of Jack's death, as a final blow to the family after finding out Jack died.

I'm just musing here.

• Love 5

On Today, Kathy Lee said, oh so Jack dies in a fire.  Mandy said well the fire is part of it, you will get more clues. They will drag this out the entire season, of course.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, wings707 said:

On Today, Kathy Lee said, oh so Jack dies in a fire.  Mandy said well the fire is part of it, you will get more clues. They will drag this out the entire season, of course.  

I think the writers find how Jack dies much more compelling than most viewers. I was initially in the minority because I never gave a crap how he died just the impact on the characters that remain but the sentiment seems to have shifted. 

The idea of this season be a bunch of little clues to Jack's death bores the shit out of me. I guess we have Kevin's pill addiction, Kate's singing and  the foster adoption storyline for fun. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

How Jack dies will be anticlimactic. I was interested for awhile because I love a mystery.  Not anymore. 

I firmly believe the clues and "What killed Jack" came later. I think it was a nice story of a normal but flawed family whom you could get attached too and find an emotion , a character to bond with. The hoopla was welcomed but it did get much larger than expected as some of the stars have said. I heard he changed the age that Kevin mentioned he was in a scene (cut it out of future film?) and I think he made the death later.  Some actor's on the show knew little of the fire, just that Jack died in it, now maybe it was part of it, he dies of smoke inhalation, saving someone or the dog, hit on the head with debris. They can't take away Kate's "I told him to go" though.

For the show to survive after his death, even with some flashbacks, they have to develop the other characters more so that Jack's existence isn't totally dependent on it. That will be a true indicator if it's just his show or really "This is US"  : )  I hope since it's an intelligent show, it develops to be that. 

• Love 2

Another speculation thread from Milo:

How big of a clue will that last sequence prove to be? How would you characterize the level of clue that we just received?
I would say on a major level —  as any Hasbro board game in the ‘80s. You’re going to discover things, you’re going to get clues that will lead up to it. I know Dan has said it, but if you look at that last segment with the teen Big Three and Miguel — there’s a dog. Whose dog is it? You never heard about a dog. Randall being comforted by a pretty redhead: Who’s the pretty redhead? We haven’t met a pretty redhead in his life yet. When teen Kate says, “I need to find Kevin, I need to tell Kevin,” we see him making out with a teen Sophie, and he’s in a cast. I don’t remember Kevin’s leg ever being broken. He’s a star athlete with the busted leg. Does that change his course in life? Because even little Kevin in the Thanksgiving episode talked about wanting to play quarterback for the Steelers when he grew up. Was that really a possibility? And is that how his life and world changed and [set up] the path that he took to get into acting? There are a lot of those things. You have to pay attention to these things being introduced to the story, and then you’re going to understand the timeline. I think at this point that people can understand that the burned-down house has to do with Jack’s death, but more importantly is [the question]: How much time does he actually have?

• Love 1