Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Our Spoiler and Speculation Topic

• Start Topic

On 10/10/2017 at 6:07 PM, Winston9-DT3 said:

37-year-old Randall having a girlfriend is a story I could get into.   Heh.

I feel like that's the one thing I can't see this show ever being willing to do. Sterling is super-invested into the idea of Randall and Beth repping it as role models for Black American Love.

• Love 4

Maybe, Jack's death is all the writers have.  I mean, it's SUCH a biggie with them.  Once they reveal it, what then?  ..................On second thought. Maybe, they shouldn't reveal it.  I mean....they are struggling now, so, perhaps, they need that mystery as a theme.  

I do wonder if his manner of death was known when the show first started or if it's been developed over time.  Have TPTB revealed that in interviews? 

4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Maybe, Jack's death is all the writers have.  I mean, it's SUCH a biggie with them.  Once they reveal it, what then?  ..................On second thought. Maybe, they shouldn't reveal it.  I mean....they are struggling now, so, perhaps, they need that mystery as a theme.  

I do wonder if his manner of death was known when the show first started or if it's been developed over time.  Have TPTB revealed that in interviews? 

I do think I read an interview with the creator where he said he had the fire in mind from the beginning, but I'm not sure where.  I found it:

The idea to link Jack’s death to a house fire was part of the plan from the very beginning.

“There was never another idea,” Fogelman said. “Day One, I said I had this image in my head of what had happened to him. I told it when I delivered my script to NBC. I said, ‘You have to know what happens in Seasons 1, 2,, 3 and 4; you have to know what happened to Jack; and you have to know when we’re going to show it and how we’re going to show it.’  Indiewire producer interview

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

I do think I read an interview with the creator where he said he had the fire in mind from the beginning, but I'm not sure where.  I found it:

The idea to link Jack’s death to a house fire was part of the plan from the very beginning.

“There was never another idea,” Fogelman said. “Day One, I said I had this image in my head of what had happened to him. I told it when I delivered my script to NBC. I said, ‘You have to know what happens in Seasons 1, 2,, 3 and 4; you have to know what happened to Jack; and you have to know when we’re going to show it and how we’re going to show it.’  Indiewire producer interview

So....we find out in season 4?  Great.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

Also, it's described as his death is 'linked' to the house fire . . . although that phrase isn't from Fogelman, but the site.  So who knows. 

Personally, I have a feeling that Jack was dead before the house fire.  I could be wrong, I don't care if I am.  Honestly, I just don't care about much with this show at the moment, other than how Randall and Beth magically got a 4th bedroom.

I kind of feel like Fogelman has no clue what kind of show he has here.  Is it a family drama?  Is it a mystery?  I'm not saying that the two are mutually exclusive, and I think a skilled writer could make it work, but Fogelman is just muddying the waters right now.

• Love 3

In the scene, a distraught Rebecca (Mandy Moore) sobbed in her car parked in front of the Pearson house, which was burned down to its frame, indicating Jack's death is somehow related to a house fire.

Before you ask, no, this isn't a misdirect.

"That is the cause of his death," "This Is Us" creator Dan Fogelman told CNN at a party following the show's Los Angeles premiere screening. "[The fire] is directly responsible."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/27/entertainment/this-is-us-season-premiere/index.html

Thanks for the reminder.  I thought it was supposed to be the fire, but things keep getting muddled.  I wish they'd show how Jack dies already so we can all get on with enjoying the rest of the show!

Maybe Jack set the house on fire with him in it to kill himself (drugged up of course or unconscious after he starts the fire).  Doesn't sound like Saint Jack or Perfect Husband, but, who knows.

• Love 1

I feel he made it out or was at least not trapped until the whole house burned.  I fear for the anti-climatic ending since I don't like the older Rebecca but I hope that is still a small part and their youth is still emphasized. If they gave Milo a 3 year contract, there must be more flashbacks coming. They said he's not going anywhere and explained to him, most of his work will be in flashback and he was fine with it. It's not like he gets paid less. ; ) I like the adult Randall, but really enjoy the younger 3 and almost am annoyed sometimes when it switches back.  This past show with Sly and Kevin and Kate though, I liked a lot and I feel it was because there wasn't any talk about weight or girlfriend/boyfriends, just them.

49 minutes ago, debraran said:

I fear for the anti-climatic ending since I don't like the older Rebecca but I hope that is still a small part and their youth is still emphasized. If they gave Milo a 3 year contract, there must be more flashbacks coming. They said he's not going anywhere and explained to him, most of his work will be in flashback and he was fine with it. It's not like he gets paid less. ; ) 

Yeah for sure he's not going anywhere. My knowledge of how the industry works is limited but from what I gather, it's indicative of his fundamental importance to the show that Milo is number 1 on the call sheet. It's a super scaled-down equivalent of Daniel Radcliffe being number one on the call sheet for Harry Potter. And imo, people seem to collectively love Jack and are attached to him a little more so than they are to the other characters (heavily due to writing manipulation, again, imo) which the show as a whole is acutely aware of and almost thrives on. Milo is here to stay for as long as the show is at this point.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more 'pre-babies/early stages of dating' Jack and Rebecca flashbacks as well, which by the looks of some of the set pictures and things the actors have mentioned, we're getting.

• Love 1

I am probably all alone on this, but I am interested in finding out what happens with Rebecca and Miguel's first wife, Shelly.  She and Rebecca are portrayed as best friends when the kids are still in high school. I want to know how everything when down when Rebecca and Miguel first got together.  How did Shelly feel?  Also, Miguel and Shelly had a daughter.  Is she still in the picture?  Did she disown her dad when he and Rebecca got together?  Were she and Shelly in the house when it burned down for whatever reason?  These are things that are intriguing me right now.

I've heard a sizable non-Jack spoiler about the next episode, from a source I can't give away, but I trust them.

Kate is pregnant.

In re: Jack's death -- I don't have spoilers about this, but I think he's going to die saving that stray dog from the fire, probably in response to Kate's pleas. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, debraran said:

If she is pregnant, she must lose it, was this when they are all grown as teens?  That to me would be an odd twist and not fit in very well. Time will tell.

As I understand it, no. It is in the present (i.e. when she is with Toby). I don't think Toby knows though, which is weird.

Edited by General Days
17 minutes ago, General Days said:

As I understand it, no. It is in the present (i.e. when she is with Toby). I don't think Toby knows though, which is weird.

Let me start off to say that I really hope this one does not come to fruition.  

That being said, Kate being pregnant and neither she nor Toby knowing it would be at least feasible.  At her size, she would barely show even late into the 3rd trimester (and, if she did, it could easily be mistaken as she had gained weight).  Being that obese does a number on your system and any complaints she has or will have could be masked (or could mimic) pregnancy symptoms.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

That being said, Kate being pregnant and neither she nor Toby knowing it would be at least feasible.  At her size, she would barely show even late into the 3rd trimester (and, if she did, it could easily be mistaken as she had gained weight).  Being that obese does a number on your system and any complaints she has or will have could be masked (or could mimic) pregnancy symptoms.

From what I understand, Kate knows. I could be wrong about Toby, but I don't think I am. 

In the preview for next week they show Rebecca's terrible mom showing up unannounced and talking about how she can't believe Randall is the one who got into private school. So messed up. I hope Rebecca tells her to GTFO.

• Love 1
On 12/12/2016 at 6:35 PM, CofCinci said:

I saw on Reddit during a discussion of Golden Globe nominations that the Kate character will find herself pregnant with dead Toby's child.

Partly because a "Kate pregnancy" rumor popped up last Dec. (see above), I'm thinking it's not true.  And the other part is because I think it'd be a terrible writing choice.  

On 10/14/2017 at 0:43 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

Partly because a "Kate pregnancy" rumor popped up last Dec. (see above), I'm thinking it's not true.  And the other part is because I think it'd be a terrible writing choice.  

I know Sophia is pregnant and they are hiding that well. She looks great in pics off the show but obviously too large now to show without some camera tricks and angling.  I would hate to see that with Kate, it's like an excuse to keep the weight story line going in a way and she's doesn't strike me as the "oops, I'm pregnant" type. She is getting older though and if she was to have a child, it would be maybe next season or two.

Fogleman this past summer, said he hadn't seen Jack's death accurate anywhere online....please he must have missed this site.  lol  If we didn't offer 50 or so scenario's, I"m sure it's here somewhere! If not, his version is not as good. ; )

Edited by debraran

In case it helps anyone understand the above quicker than I did...  Alexandra Breckinridge who plays Sophie is pregnant.   

On 10/13/2017 at 8:02 PM, OtterMommy said:

I sure would hate any pregnancy for Kate.  No way.  They're always written with maximum drama, then once the baby comes, it is invisible and doesn't figure into anything (whereas in real life your whole world is ordered around it).  Hate the idea.  Having Kate not even know she was pregnant until she was suddenly giving birth, I would hate even more, though I know it actually happens, and it would fit this show's pattern of surprise twist.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

I sure would hate any pregnancy for Kate.  No way.  They're always written with maximum drama, then once the baby comes, it is invisible and doesn't figure into anything (whereas in real life your whole world is ordered around it).  Hate the idea.  Having Kate not even know she was pregnant until she was suddenly giving birth, I would hate even more, though I know it actually happens, and it would fit this show's pattern of surprise twist.

I agree, it sounds awful. She hasn't worked out her own issues, this will just add to them.The emotional roller coaster, the added dangers of being heavy and the toll pregnancy takes.  It also seems like a way to still make her weight an issue but "she is pregnant" so she isn't losing weight, just gaining.  Maybe if she is losing they'll have her wear something and then show her thinner later, but I just have a bad feeling about it. Kind of contrived and done before. This Is Us has been fresh and I hope it stays that way.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

Given that it seems the most obvious answer is that Nicky died in Vietnam, I'm guessing he's actually alive somewhere and estranged from Jack- maybe he doesn't even know Jack died.

Hey, maybe Ken Olin has finally found the role he can write himself into the show for! He even believably looks like he could be related to Jack and he's in the right age range for a present-day version of him. He can bring on his wife and daughter to play Nicky's family, too.

• Love 1

In  2 wks TV Guide says this :

The Most Disappointed Man

Randall adjusts to the foster system. Kate and Toby take the next step in their relationship. Kevin visits Sophie in New York. Jack and Rebecca finalize Randall's adoption.

I wonder who the most disappointed man is? Randall?  I'm glad we get to see Randall's adoption and how they handled his adoption and bio parents and if they looked for them.

8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Given that it seems the most obvious answer is that Nicky died in Vietnam, I'm guessing he's actually alive somewhere and estranged from Jack- maybe he doesn't even know Jack died.

Hey, maybe Ken Olin has finally found the role he can write himself into the show for! He even believably looks like he could be related to Jack and he's in the right age range for a present-day version of him. He can bring on his wife and daughter to play Nicky's family, too.

Whatever happened to Nicky, it certainly hints that Jack feels guilty he wasn't "looking out" for his brother.  Someone in the episode thread said that they stopped deploying siblings in the same unit after WWII - but were they in the same unit (I wasn't paying attention to the photo to see whether there were two Pearsons or not - and yes, a anyone who knows about the Sullivans or had seen Saving Private Ryan should know)?  And the "caring" part of Jack really rubbed off on Randall, too.  Randall is A LOT like Jack that way and definitely his father's son.  Kevin is the more independent one (maybe that's how Nicky ended up in the military?  Rather than the draft?).  

Or yes, maybe Uncle Nick(y) IS still alive (knowing the show - ha!) and lives in another part of the world now - maybe in the middle of nowhere without good Internet access so he won't even be able to Skype with the family.  

42 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Whatever happened to Nicky, it certainly hints that Jack feels guilty he wasn't "looking out" for his brother.  Someone in the episode thread said that they stopped deploying siblings in the same unit after WWII - but were they in the same unit (I wasn't paying attention to the photo to see whether there were two Pearsons or not - and yes, a anyone who knows about the Sullivans or had seen Saving Private Ryan should know)?  And the "caring" part of Jack really rubbed off on Randall, too.  Randall is A LOT like Jack that way and definitely his father's son.  Kevin is the more independent one (maybe that's how Nicky ended up in the military?  Rather than the draft?).  

Or yes, maybe Uncle Nick(y) IS still alive (knowing the show - ha!) and lives in another part of the world now - maybe in the middle of nowhere without good Internet access so he won't even be able to Skype with the family.  

Nicky was kneeling, next to Jack, who was standing, in the photo. I don't know if that means they were in the same unit.

It would be interesting if Jack and Nicky were twins.

I'm guessing that Jack never told Rebecca about Nicky. Otherwise, alive or dead, his existence would be relevant to discussions of brotherly fighting (not that we've seen every such discussion.)

5 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Because Nicky's existence is a retcon.

I don't believe that they have ever mentioned he was an only child so to me having a brother is not a retcon because we only get glimpses of his childhood and family.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, chocolatine said:
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

(not that we've seen every such discussion.)

Because Nicky's existence is a retcon.

Right, but the same episode that introduced us to Nicky, also had major discussions of the Kevin/Randall conflict.  If Rebecca knew about Nicky, surely at some point (even if that conversation wasn't shown to us) she would have asked Jack how he and his brother handled their sibling rivalry.  The answer would probably be that they were so busy surviving their father's alcoholic rages that they had to stick together, and that Jack protected Nicky.  Still, it would come up.

• Love 1

Randall snapping at Deja about eating the shrimp tail is setting up more drama between them.   I predict Deja is going to lie to authorities about Randall abusing her.  

5 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Right, but the same episode that introduced us to Nicky, also had major discussions of the Kevin/Randall conflict.  If Rebecca knew about Nicky, surely at some point (even if that conversation wasn't shown to us) she would have asked Jack how he and his brother handled their sibling rivalry.  The answer would probably be that they were so busy surviving their father's alcoholic rages that they had to stick together, and that Jack protected Nicky.  Still, it would come up.

Maybe we will see Nicky show up at Jack's funeral.  

52 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Randall snapping at Deja about eating the shrimp tail is setting up more drama between them.   I predict Deja is going to lie to authorities about Randall abusing her.  

I didn't get that vibe at all.  I think their bathroom discussion allowed them to reach a new understanding.  And to be completely accurate, it wasn't that he yelled at her, it's that he touched her.  He now knows to be extremely careful about unexpected physical contact.

Also, now that we have the trope of the pain-killer addicted sibling (not that that doesn't happen, but it is a staple of dramatic storytelling), I don't think they will go for another ripped-from-the-headlines story line with Randall.

I actually thought that when Beth mentioned not having a babysitter as a reason for not going to the gala, that Deja would offer, and they would have to uncomfortably decline her.  (That's because I thought she was meant to be 12, the age at which some girls babysit.  How old did she say she was? 10? the actress is 14.)

While I do like Deja's new haircut (and I wonder how they broached the idea of taking her to a salon), wouldn't her empty patches show?  It hsn't been long enough for the hair to grow in.

Another hair-related question from last episode: Randall was doing something to Annie's hair at breakfast before offering to do Deja's hair.  It looks to me like Annie has natural hair with no braids or twists, so what could he have been doing to it?  He wasn't using a pick or comb that I could see.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I din't get that vibe at all.  I think their bathroom discussion allowed them to reach a new understanding.   And to be accurate, it wasn't that he yelled at her, it's that he touched her.  He now knows to be extremely careful about unexpected physical contact.

Thanks.  I just realized I didn't hear that conversation!  I was falling asleep as I watched.  :^)

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

She is 12.

Then I wonder how long until she volunteers to watch Tess and Annie when both parents are going out.  I doubt that she would feel comfortable with a strange babysitter, and I don't know if Beth and Randall would feel comfortable leaving her alone with the girls, or even home alone, in case of an emergency.

11 minutes ago, CelticBlackCat said:

Wouldn't the Randall Pearson family already have a babysitter on tap for Annie and Tess by now?  I guess this Brothers episode had the need for a babysitter if both parents went to the gala a last-minute situation.

Right, but I am speculating that when Randall and Beth mention calling their babysitter, Deja will say that she doesn't need a babysitter, and that she's also old enough to watch the girls.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Right, but I am speculating that when Randall and Beth mention calling their babysitter, Deja will say that she doesn't need a babysitter, and that she's also old enough to watch the girls.

Right, but Deja surprises everyone by asking if she can go to the gala too!  It brought me back to being a teenager in the sense that Deja probably didn't even think ahead that she would be alone with Randall after Beth and he made the decision for Beth to stay home with the girls so Randall could accompany Kevin and thus take Deja with them.  Then she's stuck in the car with him alone, understandably rolling her eyes.

4 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Please don't put that out into the universe!

Another former Brothers and Sisters watcher, I presume. We'll know we're in trouble if Patricia Wettig shows up as a woman who had an affair with Jack that produced some illicit offspring. Or Roxie Olin shows up as a love interest to Kevin or something.

The show really doesn't seem to like the obvious answers, so I don't think Nicky, if he's dead, actually died in Vietnam.  We do know that he at least made it to adulthood.

It would be interesting if Jack and Nicky were twins.

They definitely didn't look identical and Nicky seemed smaller, but they could be fraternal. Twins do run in the family.

We don't really get all that good of a look at grown-up Nicky in that Vietnam photo, which makes me think they might still be casting. I nominate Jim Sturgess. I was watching Geostorm the other night and kept thinking about how he kind of reminds me of Milo.

Edited by methodwriter85
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Then I wonder how long until she volunteers to watch Tess and Annie when both parents are going out.  I doubt that she would feel comfortable with a strange babysitter, and I don't know if Beth and Randall would feel comfortable leaving her alone with the girls, or even home alone, in case of an emergency.

It wouldn't be allowed in real foster care. When I was fostering, all kids in care -- even teenagers -- required adult supervision at all times. Around the time we closed our home (2-3 years ago), some new laws passed ("The Prudent Parenting Act"), which my state interpreted as allowing some loosening of that in the spirit of allowing the kids to have as "normal" a life as possible. So, I would no longer have had to say no to sleepovers where the parents weren't also certified foster parents and would have been allowed to leave a teenager at home alone for hours, but still wouldn't have been allowed to leave them in charge of other kids. It's a rule that is designed to prevent foster families from abusing the kids -- I can't take in a foster teen in order to make her be my live-in, unpaid nanny.

They aren't doing a great job with the realities of this storyline, although Deja herself strikes me as quite believable. Randall and Beth should have had training that would have prevented some of these issues, although not all of them.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, GenevieveS said:

...but still wouldn't have been allowed to leave them in charge of other kids. It's a rule that is designed to prevent foster families from abusing the kids -- I can't take in a foster teen in order to make her be my live-in, unpaid nanny.

A good answer.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, wings707 said:

Maybe we will see Nicky show up at Jack's funeral.  

I'm guessing that since Jack had to get into Vietnam photos to see him means that's as long as he lived, and also that his death is probably part of Jack's anger at his father.  I think it'd be weird for Jack to have two estranged family members.  Plus now we have another looming death to dread, once we get to know Nicky.  It'll add greater stakes to the Vietnam scenes since we know Jack survives.  

40 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I'm guessing that since Jack had to get into Vietnam photos to see him means that's as long as he lived, and also that his death is probably part of Jack's anger at his father.  I think it'd be weird for Jack to have two estranged family members.  Plus now we have another looming death to dread, once we get to know Nicky.  It'll add greater stakes to the Vietnam scenes since we know Jack survives.  

Jack surviving and Nicky not could be part of Jack's PTSD...