Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Our Spoiler and Speculation Topic

• Start Topic

So, they added the press release for the premiere on the 9th:

"THIS IS US"
"THE FIFTH WHEEL"
01/09/2018 (09:00PM - 10:01PM) (Tuesday) : The Pearsons come together under unexpected circumstances. Meanwhile, Jack surprises the family with a summer vacation.

So, I'm guessing from the title that the Fifth Wheel is about Kevin? I mean, both in the past and present, it would work (Randall/Rebecca and Kate/Jack; Beth/Randall and Toby/Kate in the present maybe?). 

They also have some pictures up on Spoilertv.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Can Jack ever consult his wife about anything before he "surprises" her? I guess a vacation is not as bad as a baby, an apartment or a house but I don't find it endearing.

Sort of like when Jim surprised Pam on the Office by buying her a new house.  Of course Pam loved it, but I would have been furious.

4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, they added the press release for the premiere on the 9th:

"THIS IS US"
"THE FIFTH WHEEL"
01/09/2018 (09:00PM - 10:01PM) (Tuesday) : The Pearsons come together under unexpected circumstances. Meanwhile, Jack surprises the family with a summer vacation.

So, I'm guessing from the title that the Fifth Wheel is about Kevin? I mean, both in the past and present, it would work (Randall/Rebecca and Kate/Jack; Beth/Randall and Toby/Kate in the present maybe?). 

They also have some pictures up on Spoilertv.

I would assume the "unexpected situation"  is his arrest and counseling.  I'm glad they are showing the vacation because scenes that are just fun are not that prevalent from their youth. Hopefully we will see more of their younger personalities and maybe why Kevin is the way he is now.

Given the pictures of Randall and Kevin appearing to comfort Kate and the green leaves and grass dont scream NJ winter,  I think she might have more the focus of this episode. Maybe the fifth wheel is addiction because Kevin, William, Jack and Kate with food all have struggled with it.

I wonder if that is the spot, the 3 of them comforting each other, where they put some of Jack's ashes, where Randall showed his dad Jack's favorite spot and he "talked to Jack".  Or it might be a favorite vacation spot.

Edited by debraran
8 minutes ago, debraran said:

I wonder if that is the spot, the 3 of them comforting each other, where they put some of Jack's ashes, where Randall showed his dad Jack's favorite spot and he "talked to Jack".  Or it might be a favorite vacation spot.

My first thought that they were at Kevin's rehab center, since we know the episode starts, or takes place at, rehab for Kevin. I mean, if it is, that's a really nice rehab center if they have that nice woodsy area. Maybe the rehab place is right near the horse stables that Kate went to go get her therapy at with Horse Dick. 

Of course, it can't be past the beginning of February since we know Kevin gets arrested right before Thanksgiving, and I assume he had gone to rehab over the holidays. The weather situation is dumb because it should be snowing and we know it definitely can't be in California. Apparently they couldn't find a way to make it look like it's winter and not fall, when they actually shot this episode. 

It does look like all three are in a good moment, which means Randall seems to forgive Kevin quite quickly....or manages to stuff down his feelings long enough. For all I know, Randall still ends up bitter about Kevin's actions and will end up exploding at him a few episodes down the line. 

25 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

My first thought that they were at Kevin's rehab center, since we know the episode starts, or takes place at, rehab for Kevin. I mean, if it is, that's a really nice rehab center if they have that nice woodsy area. Maybe the rehab place is right near the horse stables that Kate went to go get her therapy at with Horse Dick. 

The weather situation is dumb because it should be snowing and we know it definitely can't be in California. Apparently they couldn't find a way to make it look like it's winter and not fall, when they actually shot this episode. 

How do we know that it takes place in rehab and can't be in California? For a first arrest it's unlikely that they would make staying in NJ a condition of bail, especially if he is doing rehab before he has even been tried in some sort of plea deal, if he has even a halfway decent lawyer he would get to choose the rehab of his choice.

Edited by biakbiak
13 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

How do we know that it takes place in rehab and can't be in California? For a first arrest it's unlikely that they would make staying in NJ a condition of bail, especially if he is doing rehab before he has even been tried in some sort of plea deal, if he has even a halfway decent lawyer he would get to choose the rehab of his choice.

Well, I guess it could be California, but my first instinct about it not being California is what the three are wearing in the photo:

NUP_180616_2084_595_Mini%20Logo%20TV%20w

Though, to be fair, I've never been to California so I don't know what the weather is like in December/January (whenever this particular episode is taken place). It just looks like they're bundled up a little too much for it to be California. I admit that it's just a guess and I shouldn't be this confident that it's not California. 

As for rehab, I assume that the show thinks it'll be easier if Kevin is in the NJ area because that's what they did when Toby had the heart attack and him and Kate ended up spending a couple of months there (Kate had her camp therapy in NJ and then they didn't go back to LA until the end of the season). Understandably, Toby couldn't travel right away after his heart attack, but they kept them there a little too long for it to really make sense. So I just assume they'll do something similar here. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Yeah it's clear that some parts will take place during Kevin's rehab and I expected as much, but I will be very disappointed if they skip the immediate aftermath of the DUI/arrest. I wanna see Kevin being devastated and apologetic and beating himself up about what happened, Randall/Beth furious but ultimately understanding. Tess sad and upset, but explaining that it wasn't all Kevin's fault.

IMO those things are very important and I'd hate if we didn't get to see them. But I have a bad feeling we won't :/. That's what Grey's Anatomy was doing more often than not in the last couple of seasons, especially when my favourite characters were involved, and I still have a trauma from that.

I also wonder if it will even be addressed that Tess is unhappy at home? I feel like that shouldn't be swept under the rug either.

• Love 2

I can see wanting to bring things back later, although they do seem to overlook things. When you go back and forth, sometimes continuation is lost. It's not unlike this show to show Kevin further along and then flashbacks of him right after arrest, but I like current years to be flowing, the past years, they can jumble a bit.I hope to see more of Randall's kids, Jack's brother brought up, what happened to his mom and are there any other relatives we don't know about? The picture on the mantle is the friend Rebecca met at the pool and I think her son is the one Randall sees at Howard, but there doesn't seem to be on any side, any other sisters or brothers or cousins even mentioned in conversation.

I thought they were going to have Jack's death and funeral in the middle of the season, but then I read it would be the end of the year, so who knows?

I don't see how the death finally shown will change much of the flow, but it will hopefully help the huge gaps in the backgrounds. When you think about it, the current story has him dead, the early, cute years can always be shown in flashbacks, just the teen years will be effected and that's why I hope they fill in more before his death, let us see more of their life at home and school. It would seem a little off to show him before he died at those years after showing it, but I'm sure the writers have a long term spreadsheet of ideas and scripts.

Edited by debraran
On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:48 PM, biakbiak said:

Can Jack ever consult his wife about anything before he "surprises" her? I guess a vacation is not as bad as a baby, an apartment or a house but I don't find it endearing.

The flashback scenes look like the vacation is in a rustic area -- I'm wondering if this will turn out to be the family cabin. The family is the same age as in the episode where Jack's father was dying, so maybe the surprise is that Jack has just found out he's inherited the cabin.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, wilnil said:

The flashback scenes look like the vacation is in a rustic area -- I'm wondering if this will turn out to be the family cabin. The family is the same age as in the episode where Jack's father was dying, so maybe the surprise is that Jack has just found out he's inherited the cabin.

Given how much he despised his father and would not attend to him at his deathbed, would he want to keep an inherited cabin? 

On 12/20/2017 at 8:42 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Though, to be fair, I've never been to California so I don't know what the weather is like in December/January (whenever this particular episode is taken place). It just looks like they're bundled up a little too much for it to be California. I admit that it's just a guess and I shouldn't be this confident that it's not California. 

I think they're a bit underdressed for winter in New Jersey/New York (unless warm spell/global warming), and they could be dressed like that with light jackets in Northern California.  It could go either way.  The greenery, though, is all wrong for northeastern winter, as mentioned above.

4 hours ago, wilnil said:

That makes perfect sense, wilnil

1 hour ago, ShadowFacts said:

Given how much he despised his father and would not attend to him at his deathbed, would he want to keep an inherited cabin? 

Maybe not at first. But perhaps his father left a note, mentioning his seeing Kate, mentioning Jack's brother, and speaking to what he now sees as the value of family. If so, why hell: in some time to come, the rest of Jack's ashes might finally be set free at the cabin.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Pallas said:

3 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

Maybe not at first. But perhaps his father left a note, mentioning his seeing Kate, mentioning Jack's brother, and speaking to what he now sees as the value of family. If so, why hell: in some time to come, the rest of Jack's ashes might finally be set free at the cabin.

That and, since Jack's dad probably let a lot of his savings go into, um, liquid assets, the cabin also may have been a place the dad himself had inherited, say, from his own father, a brother, etc. In that case, Jack might see it as a family place rather than "my dad's cabin."

Or maybe Jack just got a great bonus at work to help pay for the place -- or this vacation may not have anything to do with the cabin at all; the pics just suggested it to me.

• Love 1
On 12/20/2017 at 11:29 AM, Lady Calypso said:

I figure the fifth wheel will be Kate, as in Randall and Kevin have girlfriends, and they maybe even bring them to the cabin?  But Kate has no one so Jack surprises them (again) with that dog.   Or maybe the dog is a stray they find in the woods and Jack gifts him to Kate.  

14 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I figure the fifth wheel will be Kate, as in Randall and Kevin have girlfriends, and they maybe even bring them to the cabin?  But Kate has no one so Jack surprises them (again) with that dog.   Or maybe the dog is a stray they find in the woods and Jack gifts him to Kate.  

They are 10 in the flashback so I doubt Randall has a girlfriend and Sophie is more of a crush at this point.

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

But Kate has no one so Jack surprises them (again) with that dog.   Or maybe the dog is a stray they find in the woods and Jack gifts him to Kate.  

Wasn't the dog introduced in the late-90s Valentine's Day flashback?

• Love 1

Kevin's the fifth wheel, and that picture is from rehab. Don't know if its location is specified. There's not much to spoil, plot-wise, but as I understand, it's a solid episode, and they do some digging into Kevin's issues and family issues, in general. Beth, Miguel, and Toby have their own scenes together, which I hear are good, but "need more Miguel." 

5 hours ago, General Days said:

Kevin's the fifth wheel, and that picture is from rehab. Don't know if its location is specified. There's not much to spoil, plot-wise, but as I understand, it's a solid episode, and they do some digging into Kevin's issues and family issues, in general. Beth, Miguel, and Toby have their own scenes together, which I hear are good, but "need more Miguel." 

Well, that's interesting. And sad too. No kid should ever have to feel like a fifth wheel in their own family. I keep saying, This Is Us is the perfect example of how not even good parents are beyond messing up their kids, or at least playing a part in it.

Can you give away if we're actually gonna see something of the direct aftermath of Kevin's arrest? Like Beth and Randall's anger, Kevin's remorse and how Tess is doing? Or is there a time jump and we start the episode in rehab?

There's a lot of holes from when they were young. We have no idea really how Kate did at school, did she have friends or just that awful group at the pool was it? She wasn't that different from them so I found the cruelty not unbelievable (kids are vicious) but that there wouldn't be anyone else, somewhat odd. Kevin seems like he would have had a lot of friends and maybe not a needy child, but why he never bonded with Randall when they were together since birth, somewhat questionable. Was it because Rebecca overcompensated for others ignoring him or because he didn't like how other kids talked about him? He seemed to hate him as a teen and young child which is disturbing to me and maybe why some fans found it hard to warm up to Kevin. There are a lot of other gaps to fill that I hope the writers touch on this season.

• Love 3

Here's a very spoilery article about the upcoming episode:

http://www.screenspy.com/articles/this-is-us-episode-2x11-the-fifth-wheel-scoop-photos/

Looks like we're in for a time jump after all. I kind of expected it, but I still don't like it. I wonder if Tess' issues will be addressed at all or if the only purpose was to create more tension between Randall & Beth and Kevin.

I'm looking forward to Kevin dishing out some brutal honesty, but I hope they don't do this so he ends up looking bad (again). I also hope they don't write this in a way so that Kevin comes off as playing the victim. IDK what to think exactly, but I'm still very much excited for this episode.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, GSMHvisitor said:

Looks like we're in for a time jump after all. I kind of expected it, but I still don't like it. I wonder if Tess' issues will be addressed at all or if the only purpose was to create more tension between Randall & Beth and Kevin.

I do think we'll get back to exploring Tess' feelings. I'm not sure if we will in the premiere, or later in the season, but I do believe that we'll get it.

Not surprised at the time jump either. So, I guess Kevin really is back in Los Angeles. Damn; I was wrong about him sticking in New Jersey. I guess I shouldn't be that surprised.

From the article:

However when Rebecca, Kate and Randall are invited to join Kevin’s therapy session, things soon take an unpleasant turn, particularly when the subject of Jack’s own addiction is brought up. Are the Pearsons, as Kevin suggests, a family of addicts? It’s a question that doesn’t get much attention, as loath to view Jack Pearson in any light less than glowing, the family turn on Kevin instead. 

Oh hey! Surprise! Kevin gets shit on by his family while Saint Jack continues to be propped! Anyone surprised here? Bueller? Bueller? Nobody allowed to talk shit about Jack, it seems. 

I wonder if the family will continue to downplay Kevin's addiction past the midseason premiere, and if this really wasn't Kevin's true rock bottom. I thought with him going to rehab that they might just build him back up. But silly me; Kevin can't be happy. He can have the fame and the attention of everyone not named Pearson, but not his family's love, support, and undivided attention. 

So, yeah, I can't wait for the eleven minute Shit on Kevin therapy scene.

12 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Oh hey! Surprise! Kevin gets shit on by his family while Saint Jack continues to be propped!

But Kevin's right, and the audience knows Kevin's right. We're at exactly the half-way mark of the original three-season storyline. That's where stories most often break open: one character reveals a core truth, which the other characters deny; each character then goes on to confront this truth throughout the second half.

The core truth is about The House That Jack Built. Kevin's always been the one to sense how individual stories are connected, across generations and even beyond death. He gets it started (and pays the price), but the resolution will require everyone's insight and humility. "They needed you and you needed them. No one does it alone," as they said in LOST. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, GSMHvisitor said:

I'm looking forward to Kevin dishing out some brutal honesty, but I hope they don't do this so he ends up looking bad (again). I also hope they don't write this in a way so that Kevin comes off as playing the victim. IDK what to think exactly, but I'm still very much excited for this episode.

'Swanky Hollywood rehab clinic' and 'wowing the staff with his Mr. Rehab charm' don't seem like the makings of brutal honesty especially if he's going to unleash it on his family but not himself, but I can't see how much forward progress will be made if he keeps up his charming facade in therapy.  Then again, I don't think most viewers want to see too much therapy, so we're probably in for some melodramatic tearfulness, then exit stage left and Kevin mostly escapes dire consequences for drunk driving. 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

'Swanky Hollywood rehab clinic' and 'wowing the staff with his Mr. Rehab charm' don't seem like the makings of brutal honesty especially if he's going to unleash it on his family but not himself, but I can't see how much forward progress will be made if he keeps up his charming facade in therapy.

That's exactly what worries me too. That part of the article doesn't really sound like Kevin wants to go deep and actually deal with his feelings and his issues. Idk if I want to see a lot of therapy, but I do want to see Kevin confront not only his family, but his own issues. Guess I have to see how it all plays out, but some things from this article have me worried about the next episode.

I thought (or had the secret hope) they might go the full high-functioning depression route with Kevin, but they seem to keep it at surface level by just addressing his addiction. But the immense self-loathing that came out in 2x08 was kind of always there. From the beginning of the show it's been apparent that Kevin has these self-doubt issues and actually thinks very little of himself. It's subtle, but it's always been there. And who could blame him really? He's constantly belittled. People didn't take him seriously as an actor and they showed and told him that countless times. Not even his agent believed in him. His parents loved him dearly, there are no doubts about that, but it's also a fact that they cared more about making sure his siblings were fine. All that coupled with the fact that he lost his football career, the one thing where he drew most of his confidence from and losing his father at the same time - it's not hard to believe that that would mess a person up. But Kevin's life's been pretty good regardless, so he kept on going, kept on functioning and buried his feelings, until they started crashing down on him like an avalanche.

Anyways, I think there's a lot that could be explored with Kevin, but I don't think most of it will be happening anymore.

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

'Swanky Hollywood rehab clinic' and 'wowing the staff with his Mr. Rehab charm' don't seem like the makings of brutal honesty especially if he's going to unleash it on his family but not himself, but I can't see how much forward progress will be made if he keeps up his charming facade in therapy.  Then again, I don't think most viewers want to see too much therapy, so we're probably in for some melodramatic tearfulness, then exit stage left and Kevin mostly escapes dire consequences for drunk driving. 

I am completely worried about this. I don't think it's a secret that I'm a huge Kevin fan, flaws and all, but I'm worried that this is just it for Kevin's storyline this season and the rest of the season will be just him trying to win Sophie back. 

I do think he's faced some consequences for his actions, but I'm worried they're going to turn back in favour of other characters. I thought Kevin made some real progress with going to Randall to tell him everything, but they Randall had to assume what Kevin was there for and then he retreated again. No; I want Kevin to be able to address his very serious issues, and I also want his family to take him seriously. 

Another worry of mine, connected to the above, is that the family will give Kevin a hug, tell him things will be better, but then their same pattern of Kevin being the fifth wheel will continue. 

I guess I just don't want him to face the wrong consequences to his actions. I hope that things will change, but the premiere doesn't sound very hopeful in terms of his family recognizing that things need to change and that Kevin's issue is deeper than just plain addiction. He has depression, self loathing, self doubt, and probably a bunch of other issues that will continue to build up. 

Though him charming up the staff at rehab is probably something that the therapists will see right through. Though, on the other hand, it IS a Hollywood rehab clinic, and who knows if they'll take him seriously or if they'll give him a pass because he has money and fame. 

As soon as I saw the 5th Wheel title, I knew it would be Kevin. Because he really is the 5th Wheel has in his family, with Kate as Jacks favorite, and Randall as Rebecca’s favorite, and Kevin as everyone’s third choice. I’m already rolling my eyes over the family all turning on Kevin while he’s in rehab for noting Jacks drinking problem and how addiction clearly runs in their family. Why listen to Kevin when they can just tell him how much he sucks, then hug and tell him it’ll be fine, than go back to ignoring his clear and obvious problems?

• Love 3

I hope they don't do the obvious. Jack had drinking issues at least twice in his marriage, his dad did, maybe others.  I hope they don't make Kevin a "star" at the rehab. Most real stars say they aren't treated like one but the surroundings are better.

I want to know why Kevin doesn't like Randall very much growing up and Kate didn't seem to bond with him either. It was always the "twin" bond which technically wasn't really true but biology doesn't just make you close.

I've only seen a few blended families like theirs but they were much more protective of each other and the adopted sibling than they seem to be.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I am completely worried about this. I don't think it's a secret that I'm a huge Kevin fan, flaws and all, but I'm worried that this is just it for Kevin's storyline this season and the rest of the season will be just him trying to win Sophie back.

God, I can only hope that won't be the case. This would be the absolute last thing I want. And I say that as someone who's actually very invested in the Kevin/Sophie relationship. Yes, she sort of came out of nowhere and they've had minimal actual screentime together, but I want to learn more about their story, past and present. But not now, not for a while. This story should be about Kevin only. Considering Alexandra Breckenridge just had a baby a month ago, I don't expect her to be back on set any time soon anyways. They're filming ep. 2x15 right now, so she might be back for the last 1-2 episodes, if we're lucky, but I don't expect much.

It doesn't sound too promising right now, but the minimum I want for Kevin's story is

- that it doesn't get wrapped up in just one episode.

- that his family takes his issues seriously and make him and his well-being the top priority just for once.

- that Kevin is honest to himself and gets to the root of his issues to get better.

• Love 2

Well, judging by this press release for the 12th episode:

Kate goes wedding dress shopping. Kevin embraces a new lifestyle while Randall explores William's past. Jack and Rebecca take the kids to the mall.

Kevin is going to go through some sort of change. I'm not really sure if it's him going to therapy, staying in rehab, or what. Some promo pictures up seem to indicate that it might not be him sticking in rehab with him seeming to be in a grocery store. But my guess of his rehab being in NJ was wrong, so I don't know. 

Also, sounds like a thrilling subplot for the past.

I hope the mall subplot is fun! I want the levity the producer promised this year and hasn't really given. I want to see the kids doing kid things and Kate like and fit in her clothes, just normal, funny things. : )

If they make therapy realistic, it wont be an easy thing but hopefully having them all together and sharing things will help. It isn't so much if Kevin has an "addiction" gene, but why he an Kate had such a hard time since Jack died to move on. The anger, sadness was never really addressed it seems, at least after the initial mourning period. 20 year is a long time but it's never too late.

11 hours ago, debraran said:

I hope the mall subplot is fun! I want the levity the producer promised this year and hasn't really given. I want to see the kids doing kid things and Kate like and fit in her clothes, just normal, funny things. : )

Yes, the season has been noticeably lacking in humor, and needs it. 

• Love 1
On 1/2/2018 at 3:57 PM, GSMHvisitor said:

Here's a very spoilery article about the upcoming episode:

http://www.screenspy.com/articles/this-is-us-episode-2x11-the-fifth-wheel-scoop-photos/

I'm actually looking forward to this part:  Toby, Beth and Miguel decide to form an alternative ‘Big Three’ of their own 

When I read the line about Kate and Toby grieving and trying to move on, I thought 'about who... Deja?' for a second, that's how little the miscarriage story touched me.  

On 1/5/2018 at 4:15 PM, ShadowFacts said:

Yes, the season has been noticeably lacking in humor, and needs it. 

I'm pretty sure we were supposed to find Toby's happy baby Hootie and the Blowfish dance really gut-bustingly hilarious and heartwarming.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Blakeston said:

If anyone is going to turn out to be alive, I think it's going to be Randall's mother.

Yes, I can see that and they said Randall is going back to Memphis and visiting people. My neighbor found old relatives in the south when doing a genealogy project and they still keep in touch. (someone even left him money in a will!) His parents didn't keep in touch with them but he chose too and it opened up a lot of history.

Kyle was stillborn and that kind doctor never would have lied to them but there never was an closure there either. She just said she didn't want to hold him, so much swept under the rug with that but the show wasn't about him, it was about Randall and the "twins" as some would call Kevin and Kate.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I don't think they'll go there, but I've always lived in fear of a "Kyle is really alive" story.

When I started watching the first episode, I thought the twist was going to be that the third triplet was Black, and the doctor dumped him at the fire station and falsely told the Pearsons he died.  (I believe I had a fever at the time.)

• Love 1

I think the writers have enough tricks in their bag without resorting to telenovela-level plot twists like 'not really dead' people.

The episode next week says no information available on my guide.  I am guessing that is Jack's death or it is DIRECTV.  Sometime happens on other shows.  On the red carpet Milo, when asked, VÈRY soon re Jack's death.  Well no shit, it can't be that far off. Now  can it. Oy I have stopped watching and just waiting for Jack's death. 

On 1/18/2018 at 2:20 PM, BlancheDevoreaux said:

I'm wondering if Kate starts the fire because she is sneaking food and didn't properly turn of the oven or something in her rush to hide what she was doing. 

This make a lot of sense. 

52 minutes ago, Wings said:

The episode next week says no information available on my guide.  I am guessing that is Jack's death or it is DIRECTV.  Sometime happens on other shows.

There's not going to be an episode next week due to the state of the union address. Jack's death is most likely going to be handled during February sweeps.

8 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

There's not going to be an episode next week due to the state of the union address. Jack's death is most likely going to be handled during February sweeps.

Thanks. 

3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

How about Super Bowl Sunday?