Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Our Spoiler and Speculation Topic

• Start Topic

There is some speculation going on about the kids relationship about Miguel and the writers plans for him and Rebecca's story. Here are some spoilers that were mentioned by the show's creator to EW. He says that Kevin is the most antagonistic towards Miguel, Randall is the least antagonistic and Kate is between them regarding her feelings about Miguel. (Sterling K. Brown also hinted at this in an interview.)

He also said that the writers are going to try and eventually get the audience invested in Miguel and in Rebecca/Miguel's relationship. I had figured that would be the case and mentioned in the unpopular opinions thread that I believe that the show is going to eventually try and write Miguel as a character that will be comforting to more of the characters and the audience.

I think they are going to eventually try and have him fill the void left by Jack and eventually William's deaths. I am interested in seeing how they write him to make appear more sympathetic to the audience. I do believe how they write him and Rebecca getting together and when they get together will affect how understanding viewers are towards him. I believe they will write that him and Rebecca didn't get together until after Jack died and the kids became grown. I think that more viewers are more likely to get invested in them if they didn't get together while Jack was alive.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/22/this-is-us-dan-fogelman-thanksgiving-episode-pilgrim-rick

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

The Christmas episode is titled "Last Christmas".  Yikes.  Too ominous.  I don't want to see Daddy Jack die in a Christmas episode.

It could also be something that has nothing to do with Jack.  Like something big happened last year (i.e. the Christmas before the triplets turned 36) or something like that.

But, yeah, it probably has to do with Jack.  My guess, though, is that it doesn't have to do with his death.  I don't think we'll get that until May.

Articles (or maybe just one article?) keeps showing up in my FB feed about how annoying it is that the viewers don't yet know what happened to Jack.  Honestly, I'm okay with that.  I truly believe that TPTB with this show know exactly what happened with Jack and are just waiting for the right time to reveal it. In my book, that's a smart thing to do.  And it is unlike some other shows I watch where information is "kept" from the audience because TPTB don't have a clue what is going or what is going to happen.  I'd much rather have a show keep things from me intentionally instead of trying to figure things out as they go along.

• Love 1

IMDb's description for the Last Christmas episode says:

When Kate comes down with appendicitis on Christmas Eve, the Pearsons take her to the hospital.

I wonder if that's going to affect the gastric bypass plan. Maybe she'll suffer complications (because no routine procedure ever goes smoothly on a TV drama) and not want or be able to undergo another abdominal surgery for quite some time.

Also, it sounds like Kate is on the East Coast for Christmas - still or again? It's a long trip to make twice within six weeks.

Edited by chocolatine
5 hours ago, chocolatine said:

IMDb's description for the Last Christmas episode says:

I wonder if that's going to affect the gastric bypass plan. Maybe she'll suffer complications (because no routine procedure ever goes smoothly on a TV drama) and not want or be able to undergo another abdominal surgery for quite some time.

Also, it sounds like Kate is on the East Coast for Christmas - still or again? It's a long trip to make twice within six weeks.

Could it also be that little kid or teenage Kate develops appendicitis in a flashback?  But I actually think it would be more interesting if it happens to present-day Kate.

• Love 2

According to EW and TV line Alexandra Breckenridge from "The Walking Dead"/AHS has been cast in the recurring role of Sophie, a childhood friend that Kate reconnects with. 

I know that some viewers had been wondering if Kate had friends/wanted to see her with some. I am glad they will be giving her at least one friend. I am interested in seeing her reconnect with this childhood friend of hers.

• Love 8

I'm thrilled to hear that Kate's getting some stories for the second half of the season. First a childhood friend and now a possible love interest or just a new friend. Either he's going to help Kate with losing weight, or he's going to be the foil between Kate and Toby that'll get them back together. Maybe. I mean, I assume Duke is going to be helping her through her weight loss, but I hope that he ends up being a good influence on her. But I wonder if Toby will still be part of the show because if he is, I'll be willing to bet that there'll be an episode of jealousy. I hope not, but I can't help but wonder if they'll go down that cliche route. 

Now, I'd also love to hear of some spoilers for Kevin, because if anyone needs friends and not love interests, it's him. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, taragel said:

I wonder if she will end up becoming romantically involved with this new guy. I think that we will see Toby again. Maybe we might end up having a love triangle with Toby/Kate/this new guy. I also wonder why Kate is interacting with a horse trainer. Maybe she is going to end up spending time on a ranch or something. I wonder if her reconnecting with her childhood friend will also tie into her spending time with this new guy.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

Adam's a big guy physically and I'm assuming he's a love interest, but makes me wonder if they think they can only give Kate big/heavy guys as love interests. Would love to see them turn that on its ear and have a more conventionally hot (or just skinny in general) guy hit on her.

• Love 4
On 2016-11-27 at 6:34 PM, CofCinci said:

The Christmas episode is titled "Last Christmas".  Yikes.  Too ominous.  I don't want to see Daddy Jack die in a Christmas episode.

Unless there are teen scenes, Jack isn't dying in THIS Christmas episode.  We know that Jack is still alive in the mid-90s.

• Love 2
On 12/5/2016 at 4:40 PM, Jx223 said:

According to EW and TV line Alexandra Breckenridge from "The Walking Dead"/AHS has been cast in the recurring role of Sophie, a childhood friend that Kate reconnects with. 

The name "Sophie" rings a bell. She wasn't one of the signers of the "you embarrass us" note to 8-year-old Kate, was she? 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, wilnil said:

The name "Sophie" rings a bell. She wasn't one of the signers of the "you embarrass us" note to 8-year-old Kate, was she? 

Yeah, I think she might have been, actually! It's quite possible that the Sophie on the note is the same Sophie that she'll reconnect with. It does make me question if Sophie/Kate did end up being friends, or if there'll be tension there. I won't blame 8 year Sophie for being a bully as long as she fixed her mistakes and found a way to make it up to Kate. 

• Love 1

I am concerned that Toby might die after watching tonight's episode. I hope that doesn't end up being the case because I like him and I like him and Kate together. But after what happened tonight and this spoiler about this new guy helping Kate through a "difficult" time makes me think he might die.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Jx223 said:

I am concerned that Toby might die after watching tonight's episode. I hope that doesn't end up being the case because I like him and I like him and Kate together. But after what happened tonight and this spoiler about this new guy helping Kate through a "difficult" time makes me think he might die.

With Kate getting two new people to interact with for the second half, I think that he might actually die. I never wanted him dead! Just...no, show. No. But it makes perfect sense. 

• Love 3

There was a distinct flatline noise at the end of the episode after they tried to shock Toby back to life with the paddles. It could be a misdirect, but I suspect he's dead. That's an interesting choice, because that means Kate will be dealing with heavy grief for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up flash forwarding a bit to get away from some of the direct effects of that.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, taragel said:

There was a distinct flatline noise at the end of the episode after they tried to shock Toby back to life with the paddles. It could be a misdirect, but I suspect he's dead. That's an interesting choice, because that means Kate will be dealing with heavy grief for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up flash forwarding a bit to get away from some of the direct effects of that.

I can't decide whether or not I think Toby is dead:

Reasons for death:
1 - The actor is actually quite busy and has a number of movies soon to be released and one that, according to IMDB, is currently filming
2 - In one sense, Toby is a detrimental force for the character of Kate--when Toby is around, Kate has had to become a static character. She ties too much of herself to him (well, to anyone really) and it isn't until she's cut loose that she becomes dynamic.  Obviously, this doesn't HAVE to be the case, but it has been the case so far.
3 -The other spoilers (the one with the horse trainer) make it sound like Toby is dead.

Reasons for survival:
1 - Chris Sullivan is a series regular
2 - By the laws of episodic television, when a finale of some sort ends with a patient on the table and beginning to flat line, they ALWAYS live.
3 - Having Toby survive and having him AND Kate deal with the aftermath of what happened could develop some new story lines.

• Love 3

If you watch the extras of this show, when they're talking with the cast, I noticed that the actor who plays Toby is a lot thinner now than he is in the show; I didn't even know who he was when I first saw him, so I wonder if Toby will die.

2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

If you watch the extras of this show, when they're talking with the cast, I noticed that the actor who plays Toby is a lot thinner now than he is in the show; I didn't even know who he was when I first saw him, so I wonder if Toby will die.

I read somewhere (disclaimer...it might have been on these boards) that Chris Sullivan had to wear padding to play Toby.

• Love 3

Justin Hartley recently gave an interview with US Weekly about a few things we might see in the second half of the season. He said that whatever happens to Toby he believes that it will help Kate grow closer to her brothers and that the family will rally around her and support her. 

He also said that Kevin is looking for love and the viewers are going to be taken on a journey with him to find that. He mentions that someone comes back into his life and he will try and figure out that situation with them. And then he says that maybe someone else might come back into his life. He also refers to his relationship with Sloane as a friendship and says that Kevin has never really had a platonic friendship before (in reference to Sloane.) He also mentions that we will find out more about what happened to Jack/how Rebecca and Miguel got together and why Kevin sort of resents Miguel.

I definitely think that one of the women coming back into his life is Olivia. But maybe another romantic love interest is coming back into his life as well and they will have Kevin dealing with that person, Olivia and Sloane. It also kind of seems like maybe and him Sloane may just end up friends, or at least just try and be friends for a while. I am also glad to see that The Big Three will probably be getting closer and the family will be supporting Kate as she is dealing with the fallout of whatever happens to Toby.

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/this-is-us-justin-hartley-reveals-whats-after-the-finale-w454491

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Jx223 said:

Justin Hartley recently gave an interview with US Weekly about a few things we might see in the second half of the season. He said that whatever happens to Toby he believes that it will help Kate grow closer to her brothers and that the family will rally around her and support her. 

He also said that Kevin is looking for love and the viewers are going to be taken on a journey with him to find that. He mentions that someone comes back into his life and he will try and figure out that situation with them. And then he says that maybe someone else might come back into his life. He also refers to his relationship with Sloane as a friendship and says that Kevin has never really had a platonic friendship before (in reference to Sloane.) He also mentions that we will find out more about what happened to Jack/how Rebecca and Miguel got together and why Kevin sort of resents Miguel.

I definitely think that one of the women coming back into his life is Olivia. But maybe another romantic love interest is coming back into his life as well and they will have Kevin dealing with that person, Olivia and Sloane. It also kind of seems like maybe and him Sloane may just end up friends, or at least just try and be friends for a while. I am also glad to see that The Big Three will probably be getting closer and the family will be supporting Kate as she is dealing with the fallout of whatever happens to Toby.

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/this-is-us-justin-hartley-reveals-whats-after-the-finale-w454491

Oh crap, more Olivia.  

I was hoping we might get more out of Kevin and Sloane after the show's official IG account posted pictures of the 2 of them this morning.  I'm not sure that's off the table...a lot of what he says in the article sounds more like what he thinks might happen (and he talks of 2 people coming back into his life?).  Or maybe that's all wishful thinking on my part.

It does sound like we'll find out what happened to Jack this season (I'd still put my money on it being in the season finale), which is good.  I think withholding that information past this season would not work.

I wonder, though, how far in advance the actors know what is going to happen.  In another post-mortem article with Chris Sullivan, he talked about how, a few episodes, he was improvising and making jokes about Toby having a heart attack (because, you know, that's funny...) and the director or whoever told him not to do that, but wouldn't tell him WHY he shouldn't do that.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, OtterMommy said:

I was hoping we might get more out of Kevin and Sloane after the show's official IG account posted pictures of the 2 of them this morning.  I'm not sure that's off the table...a lot of what he says in the article sounds more like what he thinks might happen (and he talks of 2 people coming back into his life?).  Or maybe that's all wishful thinking on my part.

I think with the positive reaction toward Sloane, if they can keep her on, then they'll at least keep her and Kevin friends. I think Justin is speculating on what could possibly happen. We know Olivia will be coming back at some point, so that's not a surprise. He does talk about a second person, and I'm wondering who that could be. But Justin does confirm that Kevin does resent Miguel and there's more to it, although he also leaves it vague enough where Miguel can still end up a good guy. And I guess we do find out how Jack dies this season, even if he doesn't die in a season 1 episode (I think he will). 

4 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

I wonder, though, how far in advance the actors know what is going to happen.  In another post-mortem article with Chris Sullivan, he talked about how, a few episodes, he was improvising and making jokes about Toby having a heart attack (because, you know, that's funny...) and the director or whoever told him not to do that, but wouldn't tell him WHY he shouldn't do that.  

I would say they only know a couple episodes in advance. It sounds like Chris didn't find out until maybe a couple of weeks before they filmed 1x10, and that's a pretty significant plot point, especially if he does die. I know there were some earlier interviews from Justin and Chrissy where they had talked about if Jack was dead before they found out, so it does seem like they're still kept mostly in the dark until they need to know.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

I read somewhere (disclaimer...it might have been on these boards) that Chris Sullivan had to wear padding to play Toby.

If you watched Stranger Things, he was the diner owner who finds Eleven. Hard to believe it because he looked so different/had such a different vibe.

• Love 3
Just now, Tiger said:

It's very possible that whatever the producers originally planned for Sloane, Olivia, Toby, etc., has changed based on viewer reaction.

I have mixed feelings about this.  I mean, if their plan was for Olivia and Kevin to have some long standing relationship, I'm all for them changing that.

But generally, I think that when producers/showrunners/TPTB try to decide on a direction of a show based on viewer reactions, it usually leads to disaster.  It is far better to have a clear vision of what you want your show to be and do than to just go by the "wind direction" of the fans.

Also, whatever Toby's outcome is, I'm sure it was determined weeks ago and the reaction from this week's episode is too late for any change.

• Love 1

I'm going to be rather annoyed if they just drop whatever was going to happen with Kevin/Olivia. They knew they were writing her character a certain way so why expect people to be gushing about how sweet she is? And that is OK. I thought the idea was to tell a story and that takes.....actual time.

2 minutes ago, HeyThere83 said:

I'm going to be rather annoyed if they just drop whatever was going to happen with Kevin/Olivia. They knew they were writing her character a certain way so why expect people to be gushing about how sweet she is? And that is OK. I thought the idea was to tell a story and that takes.....actual time.

I would like to think that they wrote Olivia to be as bitchy as so many of us find her to be.  What is worrisome is if they wrote her to be perceived one way--say, misunderstood or emotionally fragile--and instead the viewers see her as something completely different.

It is possible that their intent for Olivia this entire time was to be a tool to bring Sloane and Kevin together (or maybe that's wishful thinking) or to be tool to give Kevin the confidence to strike out on his own.  

Edited by OtterMommy
Pressed submit too early.
  • Love 2

She just seemed hardened/guarded to me, with like two moments that seemed to indicate there's a reason for that. Which reminds me of another unpopular opinion I forgot to post. I think she has/had potential to be one of the more interesting characters. In part because unlike with the other characters she wasn't walking around with a huge sign on her forehead saying for example...THIS IS MY ISSUE: I DON'T FEEL AS THOUGH I GOT ENOUGH ATTENTION AS A CHILD. And it seemed like maybe just maybe the show was going to go the route of a harder to get down to the root of whatever it is so that something could feel earned and not rushed. And the actress seemed talented enough to do that. But yeah, not holding my breath.

17 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

It is possible that their intent for Olivia this entire time was to be a tool to bring Sloane and Kevin together (or maybe that's wishful thinking) or to be tool to give Kevin the confidence to strike out on his own.  

Given her relationship with Olivia, it seems like conflict for Olivia/Kevin. Which I think is unnecessary.

According to an interview did with ET Jack's death is going crush viewers. He said it is going to hurt really bad. He also said he thinks it will be a while before it's revealed and that it might be revealed when people really aren't expecting it. (And after we have gotten so wrapped up in different storylines like those involving the Big Three.)

It doesn't sound like Jack dies of something like a disease. I wonder if he has a tragic accident or is maybe even murdered? I had speculated a while ago in the speculation thread that maybe Jack died trying to prevent a robbery or something. Maybe he dies in a way like that or maybe someone actually gets mad at him and kills him for some reason. It sounds like his death is going to be really painful for viewers.

On 12/6/2016 at 0:41 PM, taragel said:

Adam's a big guy physically and I'm assuming he's a love interest, but makes me wonder if they think they can only give Kate big/heavy guys as love interests. Would love to see them turn that on its ear and have a more conventionally hot (or just skinny in general) guy hit on her.

Ferg is heavy, chunky or what my mother would have called big-boned, but he's not morbidly obese.  I'm looking forward to his joining the cast.

Could this be younger Kate after her father dies, rather than adult Kate?

Edited by buckboard
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, buckboard said:

Ferg is heavy, chunky or what my mother would have called big-boned, but he's not morbidly obese.  I'm looking forward to his joining the cast.

That would actually make sense.  Isn't this character supposed to be a horse trainer or something like that?  Adult Kate has never shown any interest in horses on the show, but young Kate might be into that.

Also, the timing and wording of the press release is, ahem, interesting in regards to Toby's current state.

46 minutes ago, buckboard said:

I thought about it and I love the idea...except the press release says this:

Bartley will play Duke, who works at a local horse stable and support Kate (Metz) during a difficult time.

So, UNLESS Deadline/EW/TVLine are assuming it's older Kate, then it probably is Kate from the present day. But I love the idea that it's younger Kate so much, that I'm going to have that in my head until it's officially confirmed through photos or through an interview. 

I'm just saying that it's pretty bad timing that Bartley was announced as a recurring character the week Toby's fate is tossed up in the air, which makes it really hard to not think that Toby dies. I think people also assume that Duke and Kate will get together just because he's a guy around her age. I know that was my initial thought and the only way they get together, I think, is if Toby dies. Unless Toby survives and Kate pushes him away because she feels like she is to blame. And especially with the press release specifically stating that he helps her during a difficult time, I'm not quite sure that it leans toward Toby surviving. It's pretty vague so Toby could survive, Duke could be helping Kate through her guilt, and they might not get together. However, this is still a TV show that will rely on cliche storylines. The twist would be Toby surviving, Kate sticking with Toby, and Duke being the one to help through her guilt. 

But then we go back to why Kate would go to a horse stable. Is that what she did when she was a kid, maybe after Jack's death? I'm just curious as to why she'd go if Toby survives. They specifically mention Duke's career, which does make it seem like it'll be a factor in their interactions. So that's why I think Toby does die and Kate meets Duke and he helps her through her grief. Although, what might be worse is Toby surviving, Kate or Toby pushing the other away, and Kate meeting Duke and then a love triangle starts there. I'm growing fond of Toby, but I'm not into a love triangle here. 

4 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I thought about it and I love the idea...except the press release says this:

So, UNLESS Deadline/EW/TVLine are assuming it's older Kate, then it probably is Kate from the present day. But I love the idea that it's younger Kate so much, that I'm going to have that in my head until it's officially confirmed through photos or through an interview. 

Well, Kevin was supposed to spend Hannukah with Olivia, so there is that....

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

I saw on Reddit during a discussion of Golden Globe nominations that the Kate character will find herself pregnant with dead Toby's child.

Ugh, I really hope not. Also if the spoilers about the horse trainer guy are in the present day, post-Toby, would she be riding horses while pregnant?

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

I saw on Reddit during a discussion of Golden Globe nominations that the Kate character will find herself pregnant with dead Toby's child.

In the words of the late, great Whitney Houston: oh hell to the motherfucking NO!

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

I doubt it because, well, Reddit.

Also, I'm still not convinced that it will be present-day Kate with the horses.  The press releases have been wrong before (remember the Hannukah meal Kevin was supposed to share with Olivia?).  Also, stables have weight limits for people riding their horses.  I couldn't find a specific number in a quick internet search, but it looks like it is usually about 25-30% of the horses weight, which makes me think that the limit is somewhere around 300lbs, and I suspect that Kate weighs more than that.

2 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

I doubt it because, well, Reddit.

I understand what you mean by that comment, but the post was in a 'serious' discussion type sub from an established Redditor -- which is why I posted the info here.  If it came across like bullshit, I wouldn't have bothered.  This ain't pizzagate.

• Love 1
Just now, CofCinci said:

I understand what you mean by that comment, but the post was in a 'serious' discussion type sub from an established Redditor -- which is why I posted the info here.  If it came across like bullshit, I wouldn't have bothered.  This ain't pizzagate.

Good to know, but I still don't think--or maybe just hope not--that will happen because I've seen too many shows f'ed up by badly done baby plots.

5 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

According to the post, she will find out about the pregnancy when she is about to go into surgery.  They wrote that foreshadowing is in pilot, but I don't remember.

She did mention at one point--I don't think it was the pilot, but it was early on, about how it would be hard for her if she got pregnant--not so much for health issues (which SHOULD be a big deal), but because no one would know she was pregnant.

I don't know....I still can't bite with this one. 

• Love 1

Again, grain of salt.  

Tried to find original post out of thousands of GG discussion posts. Original post has been deleted. Comments show that OP replied later on that abortion storyline is planned.  Kate will consider abortion but opt against it -- then viewer will learn that younger Rebecca had an abortion. 

I don't know what to think...  I go back to that scene where Kate joked that she was so big she wouldn't know if she was pregnant and her desire to have a father for her kids like her own father. Jack is dead. She should have been more specific about the request. 

Edited by CofCinci
33 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:
32 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

According to the post, she will find out about the pregnancy when she is about to go into surgery.  They wrote that foreshadowing is in pilot, but I don't remember.

This doesn't make any realistic sense. You have to go through a million medical tests BEFORE you can have weight loss surgery. The pregnancy would be detected several months prior and surgery would be called off. 

1 minute ago, taragel said:

This doesn't make any realistic sense. You have to go through a million medical tests BEFORE you can have weight loss surgery. The pregnancy would be detected several months prior and surgery would be called off. 

IF this is true (and I still can't believe they would do this), my guess is that the pregnancy would be a result of the make-up sex somewhere in Randall's house.  Still, it sounded like Kate's surgery was to be in the near future--I guess they could make the timeline work, but it just sounds like a disaster to me.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, taragel said:

There is little realism in this show. I love it and I enjoy it immensely but it's ultimately the bastard child of LOST and ALL MY CHILDREN.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

IF this is true (and I still can't believe they would do this), my guess is that the pregnancy would be a result of the make-up sex somewhere in Randall's house.  Still, it sounded like Kate's surgery was to be in the near future--I guess they could make the timeline work, but it just sounds like a disaster to me.

Well, she's only just decided she's having surgery, she's had all of one preliminary consultation with the doctor which we saw -- she would have to go through several more months of checking her pulmonary functions, endoscopy, psychological tests, and a possible rigorous weight loss program to prove to insurance that she should be able to get coverage for this before the surgery. The only way I can see it getting called off last minute would be if she actually got pregnant several months from now. But obviously, the show will play fast and loose with the timeline if they want to.

Re: the horse trainer. I wonder if she meets the horse trainer as part of her job back in LA--maybe the daughter of her boss goes for riding lessons?