Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Blue Ridge Mountain Blues

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, glowlights said:

Well I really came here to express how squicked-out I was by Thomas and Whitney in Asheville, and my big fat Kathryn opinion, but on the topic of family vacation homes... having a local "helper" who cleans when one group leaves and stocks the pantry before another arrives is kind of standard, no? When Shep's mom said she'd stocked the fridge I doubt she meant she personally dragged a cart through Publix (or whatever stores they have in the Blue Ridge Mountains Appalachia). That was the least eye-brow raising thing of the entire ep for me but maybe I've lived among weirdos. <-- yes

Anyway, my big fat Kathryn opinion: A party girl who lives way out in the boonies crashing at someone's house in town for a few days during filming (and possibly hooking up with that someone) is hardly a relationship, and I doubt Whitney thought of her as anything more than a fun piece of temporary ass and/or great find for the show. The fact that she made it obvious she really wanted Thomas probably pissed Whitney off, though, but not enough to cause the giant telenovela Craig is trying to write because he has no storyline of his own, besides mooching off his rich girlfriend and fetching JD's coffee.

Landon's comment that much of the group's banter is edited out because it is too intellectual for us, the drooling audience? LOLOLOLOL. Try us, Landon. Throw some of your, like, intellectual wit our way and, like, let us be, like, the judge. Talk to us about travel and art and, like, art and stuff.

Here is the Trash Talk TV RecapMiss Kitty has an interesting take on the Kathryn and Whitney relationship.  http://www.trashtalktv.com/05/18/southern-charm-dramaville-north-carolina/386887/  Usually she is pretty funny, she states early on she under the weather.

• Love 2

I wasn't paying much attention to Cam's "therapy" session because I know by now to dismiss this kinda crap on reality shows as fake nonsense.  Well, this wasn't entirely fake.  Cam was trying to make a point -- maybe about not wanting kids right now & NOT necessarily ever.  

Not sure why she feels the need to publicly defend herself (and on national TV yet too) about such a personnal & private issue.  She seems very defensive about this topic.  She shouldn't be, but maybe there's stuff we don't know & she's not sharing.  Like that she's getting mucho pressure from her hubby or family or friends or even strangers about having kids.

Stop fretting about this, Cam.  No more therapy sessions, please, hun.  Talk it out with your always off-camera hubby . . . well, off camera & leave us out of it, thanks.  What you should be doing, Cam, is going to lunch with Kathryn.  And invite ghoulish Whitney and trouble-maker buffoon Craig.  But forget about your ASSistant, Horseteeth.  He sleeps thru lunch anyway.

• Love 3

I suffered from second hand embarrassment watching drunk Thomas. What a tool. I can see why he and Whitney are such good friends. I find it hard to believe that Whitney is bent out of shape over a 5 day relationship. If anything, the only thing that was wounded was his pride. She used him to get at Thomas and it was played out in front of cameras. The easiest way to salvage your hurt ego is to damage her reputation so that you don't look or feel stupid for 'falling' into her trap. 

Landon, you are an idiot. The moment you open your mouth, I immediately brace myself for the stupid that's about to come out of your mouth. 

Jenn's reaction to Katheryn's praise is enough evidence for me that her goal is not to be a supportive friend to Katheryn, Her main objective is to keep Katheryn and Thomas a part. 

I feel bad for Cam. She's trying hard to figure out why she doesn't want the things that people tell her that she should want and already have by now. While it's more common for women to get married and have children much later in life, she was also born and raised in the South and it seems that because of the example she had with her mother, her experience and outlook just doesn't match what the conservative thinking of Southern society feels about it. Her internal struggle on the matter is due to her being able to think responsibly. 

I really like Shep. He's super lazy but I'm not bothered by someone who lives anyway they like so long as they can afford their lifestyle. I don't really care that he gets his money via family wealth either. Sure, he doesn't seem all that responsible but I'll take his genuine personality over a hustling tool any day of the week. Now, if Shep were arrogant and spoiled on top of being lazy, I would likely be really annoyed with him as well. 

• Love 9
8 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

I can explain the Shep dislike for those who seem so puzzled by it.  First off, it's more dislike than hate.  I've seen no hate toward him.

The Shep dislike stems from not caring for his laziness or his aimless lifestyle.  What's so baffling?  Doesn't seem hard to understand to me.  Some seem super-charmed by him, in spite of his lazy-ass routine.  That's fine & dandy & wonderful.  Quite frankly, I'm puzzled by those who love him so much. 

I'll defend my right to dislike him precisely because of his useless lifestyle & his non-stop flaunting that he can continue his lazy/useless lifestyle because of his (or his family's) wealth.

So what?  What's wrong with 'seemingly' being lazy?  The guy is happy with his lifestyle.  He owns a couple of homes.  He has business investments.  He's not living above his means.  He's happy driving his older jeep and his so/so neighborhood home.  And most importantly, he seems to be happy.  His routine suits him.  What do you or anyone else want  or expect from him?  His life is about his happiness, not anyone elses. 

I don't see him 'flaunting' his family's wealth.  His family has a certain amount of wealth.  That's a fact.  Does he throw it in people's faces.  No.  Did he say to Craig last season that his situation is different from Craig's?  Yes.  That's a fact.  Did he invite the cast to his parents' lovely home in NC?  Yes.  Did he flaunt it?  No.  Whit was the one to say that he was happy that Shep wasn't poor.  Yeah, he thanked his parents for 'their' hard work.  I saw that as a joke and I don't think it would have made a difference to Shep if his parents had that house or not.  I saw no 'expectation'. It's just what it is.

Is he not providing for his children or spouse?  No.  Because he doesn't have either.  What 'is' his lifestyle 'supposed' to be?  

The funny part for me is that I'm not all that crazy about Shep but he is responsible about 'his' own life.  No one is suffering because of what he chooses.

• Love 15
42 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

The funny part for me is I'm not all that crazy about Shep but he is responsible about 'his' own life.  No one is suffering because of what he chooses.

OK, but I still find his lazy-ass routine nauseating, & as I said before, defend my right (and the right of others) to dislike him because of it.  Is he flaunting his wealth & his laziness?  Uh, heck yeah -- he does this in pretty much every ep.  Showing that joint of his family's ain't flaunting his wealth? Chuckling about sleeping all day & not wanting to work isn't flaunting his laziness?  Er, alrighty then.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

OK, but I still find his lazy-ass routine nauseating, & as I said before, defend my right (and the right of others) to dislike him because of it.  Is he flaunting his wealth & his laziness?  Uh, heck yeah -- he does this in pretty much every ep.  Showing that joint of his family's ain't flaunting his wealth? Chuckling about sleeping all day & not wanting to work isn't flaunting his laziness?  Er, alrighty then.

Nothing that Shep chooses to do affects anyone but Shep.  He apparently pays his taxes.  He had no children to support.  He has no wife.  His s so called laziness affects no one but Shep.  And Shep seems fine with it. 

• Love 9
(edited)
9 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

No, actually that isn't flaunting your wealth. Shep is both cognizant of his lifestyle and why he has the opportunity to live that lifestyle. He's not spending all of his days talking about how rich he is so he can be lazy. Yes, he mentions that he's lucky to have the financial support that allows him to be freer with his lifestyle choices than most. Cameras capturing him enjoying that lifestyle doesn't be default become him flaunting his wealth. All it iis is a guy having fun and most of his activities aren't fancy things that can only be enjoyed by an exclusive group of people. Yes, his family home was gorgeous and it must have cost a lot - but he spent more time speaking of the home, not in its beauty or size, but in the memories and meaning that the home has for him and his childhood growing up. The last thing I would ever accuse Shep of is of flaunting his wealth. Even his clothes aren't near as dapper or expensive looking as broke Craig. How is any of that flaunting? You can feel however you want about it, but it's just strange that you feel strongly about it when this is a case of someone whose behaviour is not selfishly impacting others.  He's not using his family wealth and status to act better than anyone else. As close as he is with Cameran, she didn't seem so sure when talking about how much property his family has. Another example of how he doesn't make his family's wealth the focus of his relationships or discussions with people. You can dislike his laziness that has no effect on you or anyone else, but to say he flaunts his wealth is a huge stretch to me.

Edit: Just want to clarify that I have no intention of making you feel or suggesting that you're wrong for feeling the way you do about Shep. Everyone has certain pet peeves and when you see that in someone else, I think it's natural to feel a little extra annoyed with them. I feel that way toward someone like Kanye West. His self importance, wealth and fame are completely disconnected with the real challenges of the world but he behaves as though he has the answers that will create world peace or something. I just can't stand him and so even the smallest thing annoys me with him, lol.

Edited by RHJunkie
  • Love 7

I agree that Shep doesn't flaunt his or his family's wealth. Compare him to how Thomas and Whitney act about their family status and wealth! A lot of rich guys, especially insecure ones, always lead with their money -- soon after you meet them they find a way to let you know they are rich in case you haven't already noted their expensive car, watch, or clothing. Shep doesn't do that, as far as I've noticed. And yes, he did not describe the family vacation home in the mountains as a huge mansion, and he seems grateful that he had such a place to go to as a child.

• Love 6
(edited)
9 hours ago, breezy424 said:

So, what do you expect him to do?  I'm not saying you don't have the right to dislike him because of his personal decisions but what I am questioning is why you feel that way.  Who is he causing harm to because of his decisions?  What effect does that have on you or anyone else?  So what if he gets up later in the day than others?  So what if his 'work' schedule doesn't fit in what you or anyone else have determined.  He's not taking anything away from you or anyone else.  He's not causing you or anyone else loss.  Who is anyone to determine what someone else's time clock to be?  And BTW, when was it determined that Shep sleeps all day.  Time is relative.  Someone maybe up at six,  Someone maybe up at eight. Someone may be up at ten or twelve.  Is there a rule about this?  Who is he harming?  How does someone's time schedule affect their work effort? 

Nothing that Shep chooses to do affects anyone but Shep.  He apparently pays his taxes.  He had no children to support.  He has no wife.  His s so called laziness affects no one but Shep.  And Shep seems fine with it. 

So my question is, why does it matter?  If I dislike Shep, who is it hurting?  What effect does that have on Shep or anyone else?  If we are judging by the criteria of who is it hurting, then so what if I don't respect Shep?  What does it matter if I or anyone else think he's lazy?  I pay my taxes.  I support myself.  My opinion of Shep affects no one, and I'm fine with it. 

Edited by shoegal
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, shoegal said:

So my question is, why does it matter?  If I dislike Shep, who is it hurting?  What effect does that have on Shep or anyone else?  If we are judging by the criteria of who is it hurting, then so what if I don't respect Shep?  What does it matter if I or anyone else think he's lazy?  I pay my taxes.  I support myself.  My opinion of Shep affects no one, and I'm fine with it. 

It doesn't matter but you brought it up. :)

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

It doesn't matter but you brought it up. :)

Isn't that what we are here for? To voice our opinions about the people on Southern Charm? 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, shoegal said:

Isn't that what we are here for? To voice our opinions about the people on Southern Charm? 

Yes, exactly.  And we can also respond to what other posters state.  We can agree with them or not agree with them.  You have an opinion.  I have an opinion.  I really don't understand what your point is so I think it's best to move on.

• Love 6
On May 19, 2016 at 10:54 AM, glowlights said:

Landon's comment that much of the group's banter is edited out because it is too intellectual for us, the drooling audience? LOLOLOLOL. Try us, Landon. Throw some of your, like, intellectual wit our way and, like, let us be, like, the judge. Talk to us about travel and art and, like, art and stuff.

LOLOLOLOL! Oh Landon. I would believe it if you said some of the banter was too intellectual for you. Both Thomas and Shep seem well versed in history. I can believe that Shep is an avid reader, as his writing style reflects that as well. But nothing Landon says, does, writes, etc seems to demonstrate that, unless she is being very heavily edited. Maybe she and Ariana from Vanderpump Rules should get together and talk about how they are the smartest people they know. 

Also, is her travel blog basically only going to cover Italy and Aspen? Is this considered well traveled now? 

Shep's family's mountain home is amazing! I also like how Craig cooked so much of the meal. I agree with Whitney about not using the same spatula for raw/cooked meat, but Whitney is so whiny about everything!

• Love 5
22 hours ago, zoeysmom said:

Here is the Trash Talk TV RecapMiss Kitty has an interesting take on the Kathryn and Whitney relationship.  http://www.trashtalktv.com/05/18/southern-charm-dramaville-north-carolina/386887/  Usually she is pretty funny, she states early on she under the weather.

Thanks for linking that - I loved her take and thought it was very funny, flu or no flu! And I'm glad someone else thinks Craig is entering telenovela territory...

Landon's site is hiring. So tempted to inquire. SO. TEMPTED.

• Love 8

I'm one of those people who have eaten dough with raw eggs in it as  a child (true chocolate chip cookie dough?  Yum).  My kids have done the same thing.  No one has ever gotten sick.  So, if Craig actually used the same spatula for the raw meat...I'm not so concerned. 

But yet, we have Whit concerned about low sodium.  Hot dogs are apparently ok. 

• Love 4

I can't get over Craig's convo with JD and the pouting before and after.

JD:. So Craig are you doing ok?

Craig:. I don't want to talk about work

JD: But you understand why I've offered Dani the job in the Bourbon division, right?

Craig:. Pouts

JD:. It's because she's got 15 years experience in the liquor industry.

Craig:. But I dress really well and went to law school!

JD: ...

Craig:. And I gave you $15,000!  That makes me a full partner in your multi million dollar business 

JD:. ...I want to mentor you but, I'm not turning over my businesses to you yet as you've worked for me for 2 weeks.

Holy entitlement Craig, a law degree without passing the bar is basically nothing. I get that he's just as bad as Landon in that he wants to marry someone rich and not have to work but he's got to at least keep up appearances for now.

Poor Cam, I don't have kids either, so I totally sympathize with not being ready or not wanting kids altogether.  It's not an easy road even with an understanding spouse because society dictates that if you're married you should have kids. I hope she and her husband can work that out.

• Love 3
(edited)

After reading all the comments, I think no one has mentioned this: when Cameran and Whitney decided to rent a car for the ride home, instead of riding on that mini bus.

I TOTALLY get that and am in Cameran's corner on this one ! She said she has anxiety (my word, not hers) even when she is in a car and she is riding as a passenger with someone she knows well as the driver.  I imagined high up in the Blue Ridge mountains with tight turns riding in that hopefully safe bus but with an unknown driver (coupled with too much chatter from the group) putting my own heart in my throat for hours. No thanks. Good call, Cam.

Edited by Bossa Nova
clarification
  • Love 2

Oh wait! Did I just read upthread that smartypants Landon's FABULOUS new art & travel, travel & art website, is HIRING??? Hiring what? Interns? Like Sonja Morgan on RHONY?

Or is she looking for INVESTORS who can also WORK for her, a la JD & Craig?

Or.... Daddy's given her enough $$$$ to actually PAY somebody to help his little special tongue-tied snowflake for a month or two?

WHERE can I sign on???  LOL!

• Love 3
(edited)
On May 19, 2016 at 9:12 AM, shoegal said:

Yes, you've nailed it, Shep is a mamma's boy.  I'd also add living off daddy's money, or granddaddy's money I think in this case. I would love a peek at Shep in 10 years.  Would be interesting!

I look forward to the article "Where are they now?" where Shep is bald and overweight (c'mon, given that all-carb-all-the-time diet of his?). I have to say I am surprised that so many women fall easily into his one night stands. It's like that part of America is stuck in the '70s.

Edited by Chalby
spelling
On May 20, 2016 at 5:49 AM, RHJunkie said:

Edit: Just want to clarify that I have no intention of making you feel or suggesting that you're wrong for feeling the way you do about Shep. Everyone has certain pet peeves and when you see that in someone else, I think it's natural to feel a little extra annoyed with them. I feel that way toward someone like Kanye West. 

I keep shaking my head that you dedicated that much space to defending Shep?  Seriously, we are talking about Shep... not someone who is a mover and shaker in the world... it's just Shep... 

(edited)
3 hours ago, Chalby said:

I keep shaking my head that you dedicated that much space to defending Shep?  Seriously, we are talking about Shep... not someone who is a mover and shaker in the world... it's just Shep... 

I don't choose when to be honest or try to be fair to someone based on their importance in the world. And it's funny that you want to comment on the space I use for whatever reason as if you're being so much more productive than me while you're on a forum to discuss TV shows. Moving along...

Edited by RHJunkie
  • Love 3

I live in a wealthy area. I've known people like them. One dated my mother and was also my friend. His family had money and he never worked. Eventually in his mid 30s he applied for jobs in our community and couldn't get hired. Because even if people know you're rich - never having worked or being unemployed for years makes you look like you have a mental illness or drug problem. Or that you can't deal with structure or authority. 

Others become dilettantes or do things to make themselves look busy or relevant. This is why I have a coffee shop on my street open only 6 hrs a week. And a musician ex bf who's dad is a count and mom an heiress & he's been in college for 15 yr. 

• Love 2
On 5/21/2016 at 11:03 PM, breezy424 said:

I'm one of those people who have eaten dough with raw eggs in it as  a child (true chocolate chip cookie dough?  Yum).  My kids have done the same thing.  No one has ever gotten sick.  So, if Craig actually used the same spatula for the raw meat...I'm not so concerned. 

But yet, we have Whit concerned about low sodium.  Hot dogs are apparently ok. 

I find Whitney's comments about the same spatula so interesting because I watch a fair amount of Top Chef, Chopped, Iron Chef, and the occasional episode of Knife Fight. They are always using the same utensils for dishes in various stages of doneness. Like if they are making an omelette, they will use the same spatula when they start making the omelette as when they finish making the omelette. They use the same spatulas for flipping steaks. Especially on a show like Top Chef where some of the chefs are some of the best in the world, you've got to realize that what Whitney wants is not at all the standard and a little delusional. The only thing they ever really object to is reusing tasting spoons and using cooking utensils that were only used in the raw preparation to plate the final dish. But to use the same spatula while cooking, Whitney is being a dipshit and I guarantee that he's eaten at restaurants where the possibilities for cross contamination are far worse than what might have happened when Craig was cooking. I feel like if this and the salt really trouble Whitney, then he should stop eating at restaurants and start cooking his own damn food.

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I live in a wealthy area. I've known people like them. One dated my mother and was also my friend. His family had money and he never worked. Eventually in his mid 30s he applied for jobs in our community and couldn't get hired. Because even if people know you're rich - never having worked or being unemployed for years makes you look like you have a mental illness or drug problem. Or that you can't deal with structure or authority. 

Others become dilettantes or do things to make themselves look busy or relevant. This is why I have a coffee shop on my street open only 6 hrs a week. And a musician ex bf who's dad is a count and mom an heiress & he's been in college for 15 yr. 

I don't disagree with what you're saying about people who stay out of the job market for a long time because they don't or don't think they need the money. Depending on the person, it might not work out too well in the long run, but hey, that's their choice. 

However, if a person has the money not to work, well then why should they take a job from someone who really does need the money? If they own a small business (that's open more than six hours a week) then at least they are employing a few people. Many people do not "work" or "have a job" for a variety of reasons and yet they are productive, engaged with their community, and are healthy and happy. That's what I see when I see Shep.  

It may be that Shep can't deal with structure or authority, or doesn't especially like to. IIRC he said something once about working in finance, maybe soon after he got his MBA. Clearly he's aware he's just not a 9-to-5 guy.

As I see it, he "works" at managing his money and other investments in small businesses and maybe real estate. I'm in my 50s and have wealthy friends who are "semi-retired" and spend time making their money make more money, sometimes through investments in businesses or foundations which benefit the community. It's their work and business as well as something that they enjoy. The rest of the time they travel, have hobbies, participate in charity work, spend time with family, etc. You know, live their lives.

I don't get why people are judging Shep so much for "not working" when it looks to me like Whitney and Thomas are doing the same thing -- they're just not as happy or at ease as Shep seems to be. I don't think he's trying to look busy or "stay relevant" (whatever that means). He gives the impression that he enjoys his life and also is grateful that he has the freedom he does. 

Yes, Thomas has an office and a construction firm or something in that line (the family business), but just because Shep doesn't have an "office" with his last name on the door doesn't mean he doesn't put time into managing his investments. He also does charity work, writes a column for a local newspaper, and of course participates in filming this show (for which he is paid) and does some other podcast-type thing with Whitney and maybe collects a check for that as well.

I have a feeling if Shep decided he needed more money he wouldn't go apply for a job somewhere, instead he would just start or invest in another business.  

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 5
On 5/21/2016 at 11:27 AM, RedHawk said:

Plus, renting a car gave Cam and Whitney time alone to snark on the rest of the group!

And a way to leave early - imagine the awkward staring contest if he and Craig had to ride back together on the same bus

• Love 2

I will take a million awkward silences with either Craig or Whitless over one, like, "conversation" with Landon!

On May 21, 2016 at 5:32 PM, ivygirl said:

Do we get paid by the "likes" and "ums"?

Nobody has that kind of money.

• Love 13

I wonder if Whitney confused the rule about not using the same plate upon which you carry the raw meat to the grill and carrying the cooked meat from the grill to the table.  That rule makes sense, the leaked raw juices could definitely harbor contaminants that wouldn't be cooked off by the heat.  Putting the cooked meat back on the same plate would transfer the bacteria, etc right back to the meat.  

However, any contaminants on the spatula, would presumably be heated and destroyed during the cooking process.

• Love 6

Since a lot of people eat their steaks rare, I think the spatula is the least of their health risks.

I thought the scene where Landon told Thomas she hadn't invited Kathryn, and the scene where Shep talks to her about it, seemed very oddly and obviously edited.  Someone upthread mentioned the different shots of Landon's hair and state of dishevelment during the Shep conversation...they diced and spliced that conversation with short fragments of sentences pieced together. 

Last year, I didn't understand why Shep cared so much about Craig's choices, and this year I don't understand why Craig cares so much about Kathryn and Whitney.  I wonder how Naomi feels about his dedicated focus on Kathryn. 

I liked that Cameron spoke with a therapist about her thoughts about children and timing and not being ready to change the life she's enjoying.  I suspect she's not the only one who struggles with that question, and it seems worthwhile to explore if what's holding her back is an issue she can address or might change, or a genuine lack of desire.

The Rose family mountain home was great.  I'm glad Shep's family let them film there - fantastic views!

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/19/2016 at 0:47 AM, ScoobieDoobs said:

Idk, I'm still giving a suspicious stinkeye to this Ghoul/Whitney-shacked-up-with-Kathryn-for-5-days storyline.  Not that I'm not enjoying it & finding it totally delish, but still, this is Whitney we're talkin' about here.  And he is one of the producers & I just can't imagine anyone actually having sex with this zombie-man -- even a lunatic/nutcase like Kathryn.  used anYou know, I hesitate calling her a lunatic/nutcase.  Why?  Because she hasn't caused any crazy scenes yet this season.  Well, the closest she came was stomping out on JD's wife (sorry, forgot her name).  But that wasn't so bad.  Surprisingly, she's acted pretty sane so far this season.  Oh, that simply must change -- for the sake of our entertainment.  No, I refer to her being a lunatic/nutcase for trying to have a relationship with Thomas.  Yuck.  Btw, I for one refuse to call him T-Rav.  Just cuz.

The only reason she hasn't caused any crazy scenes yet is because she has not been invited to one single function (except Craigs housewarming) where she could unleash her crazy. Nobody wants her around, remember? They have all learned their lessons from seasons past. Except Craig and Shep. And that's only because the producers told them to act as if they like her. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 4

Since the subject of spatulas has been introduced....  Am I the only one who 'doesn't' use a spatula for cooking steaks on the barbecue?  It's tongs or a fork.  Hamburgers, yes.  Steak, no.

Whit's problem is he is a total snob who probably has never cooked on a grill in his life.  I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.  Whit loves the concept of him being sophisticated and cool.  The truth is that he's just not that guy, as much as he pretends to be.  That's the difference between him and TRav and Shep.  Even if you don't like TRav or Shep, they've got a 'cool' or 'true' factor about them (Don't get me wrong.  Both can be assholes). But at the same time I can see why they are attractive.  Not just for women.   Whit just doesn't have it and never will.  It's hard to explain but it's something I see.  And JD has it too and to some extent, Craig.  Again, it's hard to explain.  Maybe Whit just doesn't have a personality.  Yeah, I'm rambling because I can't find the words....

And this is why I think that Whit was so mad about Kathryn and her leaving him and picking TRav.  Whit just doesn't have 'it'.  He just doesn't have personality and women move on if the grass is more interesting or attractive on the other side.  

• Love 4

Am I the only one who 'doesn't' use a spatula for cooking steaks on the barbecue?  It's tongs or a fork.  Hamburgers, yes.  Steak, no.

Married to a chef - he won't use a fork for steaks.  Loss of juices with the puncture - tongs all the way.

I hope I don't miss too much of this next eipsode tonight - the conflict with 'The Bachelorette' is going to be an issue.  i'm in a hotel this week - no shot at DVRing (maybe on demand will help!).

• Love 1

Whit's problem is he is a total snob who probably has never cooked on a grill in his life.

Not that it counts as actual cooking, but I think it was Whitney who was holding the big fork with the big weiner on it during T-Rav's awful commercial "Raise the Roof."

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, Major Bigtime said:

Not that it counts as actual cooking, but I think it was Whitney who was holding the big fork with the big weiner on it during T-Rav's awful commercial "Raise the Roof."

No lie, I was at a fire pit this weekend at a BBQ party, and they had those giant forks nearby for guests to roast wieners. Let's just say that I had way too much goofy, drunken amusement from my friend and fellow "Southern Charm" viewer there literally reenacting T-Rav's awful "Raise the Roof" commercial.

• Love 7
(edited)

I had a huge crush on Shep in season 1. He was funny, honest and humble   about his lifestyle. 

Season 2 opened with Shep having a bar up and running, as opposed to Whitney. Heh. If he can live off his investments, good for him.

Now, I *despised* him last season for the way he treated Craig,  but I'm cautiously optimistic again. 

The family home was gorgeous. I spent a lot of time in the area as a kid, but our cabin was much more modest! Hopefully they edited out most of the trip, because Shep's guests were rude and that was a lot of trouble to go to for one night (?). 

As far as vacation home/cabins where no one lives full time, it's standard to have someone prepare it for the family beforehand and clean it after they leave. No big deal. 

Edited by missy jo
  • Love 3
On 5/17/2016 at 9:46 AM, Major Bigtime said:

I was laughing everytime Shep said "Appalachians".... around here we call them the Blue Ridge mountains. Or the Smoky Mountains a little closer to me. The only time I've ever heard someone refer to Applachians, is the state university, my alma mater. :)

Good Lord! Does no school teach geography anymore!  The Appalachian Mountains extend the entire chain. The Blue Ridge and the Smokies are just little sections of the whole chain. 

Of course we learned geography. We refer to the mountains where we live as the Blue Ridge, the Smokies, etc. The Appalachian chain encompasses several regions. The Blue Ridge Parkway is named for those particular mountains. Beside Asheville.

Just watching the re-runs. Lockhart Steele is a great soap opera name, but wasted on that dorky looking guy. I wonder is his name is something like Arnie Lockhart Steele, but he leaves out the Arnie. 

• Love 2