Type keyword(s) to search

OutDaughtered - General Discussion

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

Snark the show, not each other.  Civility matters. If a poster's posts routinely annoy you, please use the Ignore feature.  Hover over their user name and you will see a popup with an ignore option.

• Start Topic

I recall that when the going to kindergarten at the private school subject came up, that even though Riley went to kindergarten at the private nursery school, that it doesn't count for public school kindergarten.   I think it's because the private schools don't necessarily follow curriculum and skills levels that are standard for public schools.  

• Useful 1
31 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I recall that when the going to kindergarten at the private school subject came up, that even though Riley went to kindergarten at the private nursery school, that it doesn't count for public school kindergarten.   I think it's because the private schools don't necessarily follow curriculum and skills levels that are standard for public schools.  

My friend's daughter went to private kindergarten early and then had to go to 1st grade in a private school because she would have had to return to kindergarten in a public 1st grade (Texas sticks by its "date of birth" rules pretty strictly) - she transferred to a public school for 2nd grade.  Not sure whether that will be the case with Riley - I guess she could go to a private school 1st grade but I don't get the impression that her current school provides that, so the girls would then be in 3 different schools.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, RoxiP said:

My friend's daughter went to private kindergarten early and then had to go to 1st grade in a private school because she would have had to return to kindergarten in a public 1st grade (Texas sticks by its "date of birth" rules pretty strictly) - she transferred to a public school for 2nd grade.  Not sure whether that will be the case with Riley - I guess she could go to a private school 1st grade but I don't get the impression that her current school provides that, so the girls would then be in 3 different schools.

Danielle did a story on IG where she was completing the Kindergarten application on-line for all five of the quints in their local public school district.  She showed her computer screen with the names of all five girls.  She was going on and on about how time had flown by and that they were going into Kindergarten.  No mention of Riley being any different.  Blayke should be going into third or fourth grade next year, so all six will be at the same school.

Good luck to them trying to explain to Riley, the smartest and brightest of the quints, who is a pretty articulate and critical thinker even at her young age, why she, out of all of them, is going to end up doing Kindergarten twice.  She isn't going to understand all of the rules the state of Texas has about birth dates and private Kindergartens.  All she is going to see is that she isn't taking the logical next step and going on to 1st grade and is repeating Kindergarten.  I haven't heard any of them put any disclaimer on the Kindergarten she's in now to prepare her for understanding why she's doing Kindergarten again, which, if they knew was going to be the case, is pretty dumb.  Riley isn't stupid.  They know this.  Hopefully they have a good explanation for her that she can comprehend.  And hopefully the public school Kindergarten is advanced enough for her, because otherwise what was the point of moving her up if you were just going to end up in the same exact situation one year later?

I really hope that they didn't move her up knowing full well what would happen to accommodate one or more of the other girls needing to be in separate classes.  It appeared there were only four pre-k classes when Riley was doing her tour.  So if none of the five were ready for their Kindergarten, they weren't all going to be able to  be in separate classes.   Maybe they solved that problem by moving Riley up not only because she was more advanced, but because it solved that problem as well.  It may have been worth it to them even knowing that they were going to run into  the problem of Riley being in "Kindergarten" twice.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

It didn't occur to me that they would send all 5 of them to public kindergarten (but it makes sense - private school tuition must be expensive for 5 kids at the same time!).  One hopes that the school has accommodations for gifted and talented (I doubt they would have moved Riley up simply to accommodate their need to separate each of the girls - that would be counter-productive).

I can't believe that I am going to defend any of the Busby's but it might be a social issue for Riley to repeat kindergarten. Educationally she is on point but maybe she has a hard time making friends and playing with those kids because she is younger and littler. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ellenr33 said:

it might be a social issue for Riley to repeat kindergarten. Educationally she is on point but maybe she has a hard time making friends and playing with those kids because she is younger and littler. 

Absolutely!  My son has a summer birthday, and he was old enough and smart enough and knew enough (ABC's, 123's, colors, shapes, etc.) to go to Kindergarten.  He was not ready.  Socially, he was simply not ready.  We were so lucky, because our school district offered a class (Transitional Kindergarten) for those kids who were old enough but not ready.  So he and his TK classmates started regular kindergarten when they were 6.  This was the first year the school offered that options, so there were kids older than him that had to take kindergarten twice.

Most of the kids don't know and/or don't care.  They know know who their teach is and which room to go to, and they're fine with that.

6 hours ago, KBrownie said:

Good luck to them trying to explain to Riley, the smartest and brightest of the quints, who is a pretty articulate and critical thinker even at her young age, why she, out of all of them, is going to end up doing Kindergarten twice.

I know what you're saying, but it's really not that big a deal.  At that age, it's really not something children are concerned about.  We just told our son that he would have more fun with this new group of kids.  By the time he was old enough to understand that he could have started kindergarten a year earlier, he was old enough to understand that we just wanted him to be with kids his own age.  By then, he knew of kids in his class that were just barely 5 when the started kindergarten, and he could see how they struggled to fit in.  (They were the kids he thought of as babies, and he was glad no one thought of him as a baby.)

Their best bet is to say, "That's the rule!  Can't go to first grade until you're 6."  She'll be fine.  Besides, she may be academically ready, but she will learn a ton of other things in school.  There's so much more to kindergarten than reading and writing.

11 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm sure they call it kindergarten because that's just what people think of as the next level.  Most of the preschools in our area call their classes 3's and 4's.  Some preschools do have another class they call prek.  The kids do more, academically, but they still have more to learn.  Kindergarten at a public school would never be just a repeat of "kindergarten" or "prek" at a preschool.

• Love 2
On 6/8/2020 at 6:30 AM, RoxiP said:

I could barely do my own daughter's hair and get her out of the house in the morning in time for school...I can't imagine getting 6 little girls awake, dressed, fed, and out of the house in time for school...much less doing their hair!

Good thing she doesn’t have to do that herself! How much help does she have in the home that is never shown?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, SDVegas said:

Good thing she doesn’t have to do that herself! How much help does she have in the home that is never shown?

She has said that she does have babysitters who come in and assist her at times throughout the day - I'm not going to judge because I for sure would have gone insane if I had 6 children at home.  

• Love 5
(edited)

From reports I read, there is at least one full time nanny, and a big supply of babysitters when needed.   They also take the nanny on vacations too, she's billed as a 'friend of the family'. 

Anyone else see the birthday party for Adam?   Texas has a huge surge in new Covid cases, attributed to Memorial Day gatherings, and they're having a huge party?    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, RoxiP said:

She has said that she does have babysitters who come in and assist her at times throughout the day - I'm not going to judge because I for sure would have gone insane if I had 6 children at home.  

Point being, she probably doesn't get six girls ready for school on her own. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 6/8/2020 at 11:25 AM, RoxiP said:

I'm reasonably sure that Riley is in kindergarten, and will therefore be in first grade next year (okay, I just found an article about it and that is still up in the air - although why would they make an already thriving kid repeat a grade unnecessarily?).  She (and her parents) have commented on how much bigger the other kids are than she is, and it also appears that all of the other girls are in another room where the classes are divided up whereas Riley is in a totally separate room.  The important fact is that Riley appears to be thriving in this environment.  She just may be one of those kids who skips grades because of her intelligence.

https://www.thelist.com/170011/heres-how-outdaughtereds-riley-busby-is-doing-since-skipping-a-grade/

That article is from 2019.  Something was announced recently they would all be in Kindergarten. She was put in a" Kindergarten class" at the private school and her sisters were in the pre-K.  I am guessing Adam and Danielle don't want her ahead of the others for the rest of their school years.  I would hate to see her bored. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Waldopepper said:

The got a good eye doctor with 40 years experience, not Doctor Meghan who is still learning. I dont care what kind of awards and certificates she has. She needs real world experience which only comes with time. 

All it takes is a great doctor and $$$$$$. $57,000 later and my cousins kid is just like new. Eyes are absolutely perfect.

I don't think that young doctor did her surgery, I think it was her first doctor. I hope they find a doctor that can help Hazel's congenital nystagmus too.

• Love 1

Mimi saved the day by taking the out of control kids inside until they rested and calmed down. Wouldn't you think the mother of six would have thought to do that? Danielle is too selfish to put the needs of her daughters first.

• Love 4

I thought it was cute at the beginning when Danielle kept saying "snow skiing."  Is this a regional thing?  I've never heard that before.  Everyone around here just calls it skiing.  I wonder if they would find it funny to hear me say "water skiing."

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, BucFan said:

I could only take a few minutes of this show.

When the kids were put to bed at the resort , it looked like they were sleeping in big dog beds. 
🤣

Those were inflatable mattresses.  I didn't think the raised sides were necessary at that age, but they don't hurt.  Maybe they brought them on the plane, but I suspect the owners of the home provided them.

• Useful 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, winsomeone said:

Mimi saved the day by taking the out of control kids inside until they rested and calmed down. Wouldn't you think the mother of six would have thought to do that? Danielle is too selfish to put the needs of her daughters first.

Why not the father of six?

In any case, that's why you take along extra help. I doubt Mimi would be skiing down the mountain. She had time to spare to help the kids, so the parents could have some time. I wish I had that!

Edited by SDVegas
  • Love 2

I thought it was a cute episode! I love beach or mountain trips. Little kids really do pick up skiing fast. Looks like everyone had a great time. I forget, who is Deb?

Only thing that irked me was how much they encourage the kids to compete with each other. Too much “Who’s the best?” Who cares? Just have fun. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I don’t like this show or Danielle and Adam for exploiting their daughters and being fame hungry but some people can be pretty savage with commenting on the girls. Hazel may not be a beauty queen but she at least stands out from her sisters in that she has bright red hair and she has plenty of time to grow into her glasses. 

Edited by overtherainbow
  • Love 22
3 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I thought it was cute at the beginning when Danielle kept saying "snow skiing."  Is this a regional thing?  I've never heard that before.  Everyone around here just calls it skiing.  I wonder if they would find it funny to hear me say "water skiing."

In my part of Indiana we just call it skiing, too. When we talk about water skiing we say "water skiing". 😀

• Love 3

In Texas, I assume if you just said "skiing" people would assume water skiing.  However, in the middle of winter maybe not.

I've got to admit, those little girls looked so cute trying to ski.  When they weren't over tired or hungry, they did very well.  I kind of wish they had stuck to the tubes, though.  It's not like they live where they'll have a lot of chances to go skiing.  Just let them have fun and not focus on learning a new skill that they may or may not ever use again.

7 hours ago, winsomeone said:

I thought it was a little silly to start the day, the only day you’ve scheduled for skiing, by bringing all those kids. Someone should have stayed behind with the five, the adults could have put time into lessons and skiing.   Then the parents could have been present to help the little girls not melt down during their little lesson. But I’m guessing people aren’t interested in the adults. Adam, in particular, was dramatic when his kids were crying to him. Has he met these girls?

2 hours ago, SDVegas said:

Why not the father of six?

In any case, that's why you take along extra help. I doubt Mimi would be skiing down the mountain. She had time to spare to help the kids, so the parents could have some time. I wish I had that!

I thought I did see Mimi skiing down the hill. 

34 minutes ago, overtherainbow said:

I don’t like this show or Danielle and Adam for exploiting their daughters and being fame hungry but some people can be pretty savage with commenting on the girls. Hazel may not be a beauty queen but she at least stands out from her sisters in that she has bright red hair and she has plenty of time to grow into her glasses. 

I thought it was a poor choice to demonstrate Hazel’s eyes crossing with Dale - particularly when there are people mocking her eyes already.  He cannot be unaware. 

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, camom said:

In Texas, I assume if you just said "skiing" people would assume water skiing.  However, in the middle of winter maybe not.

I've got to admit, those little girls looked so cute trying to ski.  When they weren't over tired or hungry, they did very well.  I kind of wish they had stuck to the tubes, though.  It's not like they live where they'll have a lot of chances to go skiing.  Just let them have fun and not focus on learning a new skill that they may or may not ever use again.

But a lot of Texans love to go "skiing" (a fact many people in skiing areas bemoan).  Not me, I don't do cold weather!  Of course Danielle is from southern Louisiana - an area that has even less snow than her part of Texas!

56 minutes ago, AryasMum said:

thought it was a little silly to start the day, the only day you’ve scheduled for skiing, by bringing all those kids. Someone should have stayed behind with the five, the adults could have put time into lessons and skiing.   Then the parents could have been present to help the little girls not melt down during their little lesson. 

Nah, that's why there are instructors for kids  They should have been in a totally separate area so they couldn't go off to their parents. The girls are well old enough to take beginning ski lessons from instructors.

• Love 5
Just now, SDVegas said:

Nah, that's why there are instructors for kids  They should have been in a totally separate area so they couldn't go off to their parents. The girls are well old enough to take beginning ski lessons from instructors.

But the girls disrupted their own lesson and then interrupted everyone else’s. That would have been avoided if they’d both been done at separate times. Adam acted like the world was ending, groaning “oh, God”, at a perfectly expected crying contagion. 

• Love 1

Why didn't Danielle's sister know about D's hysterectomy? D was telling her about it in their shop. Did i miss something?

Loved Adam's date with all the girls and why he loves each of them. I do still think he should have taken Blayke to the formal dance. I also loved the Valentine's Day dance at the house. I caught a few times how A looked at D very lovingly. NIce. 💕

• Love 1
9 hours ago, winsomeone said:

She was probably thinking about having her photo taken doing a headstand 🤸‍♀️

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I call it snow skiing also - as opposed to what we do a lot more here in Texas which is water skiing.  

I had a feeling that was the case.  In Illinois, there's skiing and there's water skiing.  I've never heard anyone say snow skiing ... before last night.

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I came from an area near a large lake where skiing is very common AND there is skiing in the mountains of our state (NC), so we do specify which kind of skiing since it could mean either. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/17/2020 at 3:38 PM, AryasMum said:

But the girls disrupted their own lesson and then interrupted everyone else’s. That would have been avoided if they’d both been done at separate times. Adam acted like the world was ending, groaning “oh, God”, at a perfectly expected crying contagion. 

As usual, their parenting skills were lacking for the situation. When Hazel threw a fit like a 2 year old, she should have been told it was time for ski lessons right now. She can either participate with her sisters or she can sit on the sidelines and watch. Treating her like a 2 year old instead of a 5 year old doesn't help her learn what is appropriate behavior when you're in a group setting but don't want to participate.

Edited by eel21788
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, endure said:

She was probably thinking about having her photo taken doing a headstand 🤸‍♀️

Why the hell didn't Adam put his stupid camera down and help her? If she had him hold her feet for a few seconds she would have been able to get her balance and accomplish her goal.

2 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

Deb has to be a nanny or Adam's mother. I don't know his parents' names. 

They always refer to her as a family friend.  She's been on more than one trip with the family. 

16 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

I thought it was a cute episode! I love beach or mountain trips. Little kids really do pick up skiing fast. Looks like everyone had a great time. I forget, who is Deb?

Only thing that irked me was how much they encourage the kids to compete with each other. Too much “Who’s the best?” Who cares? Just have fun. 

Life is a competition. They might as well get used to it now. The real world does keep score and there are no participation trophies in the real world not the TLC world.

On 6/17/2020 at 12:48 AM, endure said:

I thought you said you quit watching the show.

LOL! You know I cant stop watching this trainwreck of a family.

Only 8 or 9 years til they start shacking up CommonLaw style with some greasy Texas Roughnecks in some stylish Doublewides..

Riley will be Knocked up by 13 and then she can have a show of her own. We can follow Hazels life with her boyfriend Graham until they get hitched at 16. The twins will marry twins guys and that will be a great show as well

21 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They've introduced the full time nannies as 'family friends' before.   The previous nanny spilled the beans about the 'family friend' nonsense.  

I have no issue with a full time nanny.  I had one at one point growing up and it was awesome. She was loving, kind, patient and loved me so much.  But, why would it be a secret with them?  I sometimes wonder if discipline gets shortchanged, because, parents want the kids to like them more than the nanny. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Kymmi said:

It’s weird to think there will be in person school this fall, given where we are, but it’s Texas, so I guess it could be different there. 

Are your schools going back to in person learning this fall?  Ours still don't have the official word from the governor and the State Superintendent, so they are currently developing their alternative plans.  Ug!!!  My kids desperately want to go back to normal school in the fall.

On 6/3/2020 at 3:11 PM, druzy said:

I liked when Riley was narrating the school scene.  

On 6/5/2020 at 2:55 PM, SideofSlaw said:

I did, too. She’s pretty funny and articulate. 

maybe soon it will be time to spin off "the 6" from their parents and in-laws ... IE " Six Kids and NOT counting".. do cameo roles with Parker as she doesn't like to be filmed 

• LOL 2
13 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have no issue with a full time nanny.  I had one at one point growing up and it was awesome. She was loving, kind, patient and loved me so much.  But, why would it be a secret with them?  I sometimes wonder if discipline gets shortchanged, because, parents want the kids to like them more than the nanny. 

I suspect the show prefers that they not admit they have a full time nanny.  They view it as better drama to think of two parents raising multiples rather than admitting they have help. 

It certainly makes sense with this many children of the same age to have help if you can afford to do so.  I would want one.  Heck, I would want two! 😁

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I came from an area near a large lake where skiing is very common AND there is skiing in the mountains of our state (NC), so we do specify which kind of skiing since it could mean either. 

remember Danille hasn't seen snow much (if any) in her life.. so the word "snow" is new to her vocabulary and she probably wants to say it as much as she can....

• LOL 1
4 minutes ago, sATL said:

maybe soon it will be time to spin off "the 6" from their parents and in-laws ... IE " Six Kids and NOT counting".. do cameo roles with Parker as she doesn't like to be filmed 

It does seem like they're giving Parker a little more space so far.  I wonder if they've talked to a professional about their concerns and are rethinking how they approach her.  I remember in the "Dude Ranch" episode, Adam said he was trying to push her a little like they always do with Blayke.  Danielle mentioned that he has to remember that Blayke is Blayke and Parker is Parker.  He has to respond to Parker's needs.  I though that was a great observation.

Parker will likely be fine on camera once in a while, but she is less comfortable in the spotlight than some of her sisters.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Are your schools going back to in person learning this fall?  Ours still don't have the official word from the governor and the State Superintendent, so they are currently developing their alternative plans.  Ug!!!  My kids desperately want to go back to normal school in the fall.

Governor Abbott announced that Texas schools would be open in the fall (within the last hour).  A lot of school districts are considering (and one at least (Fort Worth) has announced) having at home learning as an option this fall.

• Useful 2
57 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

Governor Abbott announced that Texas schools would be open in the fall (within the last hour).  A lot of school districts are considering (and one at least (Fort Worth) has announced) having at home learning as an option this fall.

I'm in WA and all scenarios they laid out had high school students at home for at least half time. I'm surprised by TX, considering their numbers have been on the rise for some time, but saw the Busby's out at a waterpark on insta, so TX doesn't seem very concerned.

• Love 1
On 6/17/2020 at 11:23 AM, Ziggy said:

Those were inflatable mattresses.  I didn't think the raised sides were necessary at that age, but they don't hurt.  Maybe they brought them on the plane, but I suspect the owners of the home provided them.

I think I remember seeing those inflatable mattresses in the Cajun Christmas episode (maybe? I think they went to Adam's parents home... when Danielle had the bad headache)

• Love 2

Why the hell didn't Adam put his stupid camera down and help her? If she had him hold her feet for a few seconds she would have been able to get her balance and accomplish her goal.

Because the goal wasn't to do the handstand; the goal was to get a picture of her doing the handstand.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5