Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Episode 6

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, anna0852 said:

Was anyone else thinking that Barbara and Cynthia were destroying evidence as they cleaned those wounds? 

Yes, but . . . .   At that time, there was no DNA evidence. I don't even know if any saliva from the bite mark would have still been there before she cleaned up or if it could have been useful for even something as simple as blood typing. The fact that Sister Mary Cynthia was able to describe the tattoos on the man's hands was probably the most useful piece of evidence, along with her physical description and the details (he smelt of alcohol but not of beer).

• Love 8

I really understand about the 2016 lens.  I see the mothers smoking and drinking and I just cringe. 

But I would rather watch this than Blue Bloods (and most of the other procedurals) any day!  Despite the tears (Lord, this show makes me cry more than a funeral), the message is still so positive.  For Sister Mary Cynthia to take this horrific attack and use it to realize that her faith gives her strength - wow! (And sniff, sniff, sob!)

• Love 14

Sister Mary Cynthia's gathered sisters and friends nearly burst with support and admiration. My heart literally explodes.

I hope you received good health care and not a "Dr. Godfrey"!

The scene with Sister Mary Cynthia and Sister Monica Joan was one of the best the show has had.

I was spoiled for this episode and even with knowing what was going to happen, I feel as if I missed something.   The stories or the connecting threads to them felt disjointed.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, elle said:

I was spoiled for this episode and even with knowing what was going to happen, I feel as if I missed something.   The stories or the connecting threads to them felt disjointed.

Three scenes were missing and that might be why some of it felt disjointed. They should be posted at this link in a couple of days. celtic-dragon.me

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, elle said:

The scene with Sister Mary Cynthia and Sister Monica Joan was one of the best the show has had.

Thank you and, yes, it was. I cannot imagine better television. Nothing else to add, other than maybe I should buy stock in Kleenex.

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

That poor girl having her uterus almost pulled out! Oy! I cringed during that whole scene. 

I almost had a heart attack, I thought she was going to just pull everything out.

• Love 4

The "previouslies" had several scenes with the wife from last week's episode who didn't think she could be a mother, yet there was no mention of her this week, and her issue had little or no connection to this week's stories. Unless there was something in the scenes that PBS insists on cutting out of every episode.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, elle said:

When Sister Monica Joan gathered up her strength, standing outside of the bathroom, I knew that she would be able to give Sister Mary Cynthia the guidance she needed. 

I had no inkling of what was going to happen in this week's episode, but I was speaking to my TV, saying, "Please let nothing horrible happen to any of my beloved midwives!" I had thought that we made it through, until that horrible moment.

Between Sister Mary Cynthia and that poor girl's (and mother's) childbirth, I was twisted up in knots.

• Love 6

My husband still hasn't gotten over the breech birth in season one, but now we have "tugging on the cord," to overlay it.  Also "squatting over a basin waiting for the afterbirth to come."  Then our hearts just broke over Little Mary Cynthia's attack.  He doesn't even pretend to be working on the computer anymore, this show just owns us.

Has anyone read "Midwives," by Chris Bohjalian? http://www.amazon.com/Midwives-Oprahs-Book-Chris-Bohjalian/dp/0375706771  It's about a midwife sued by her patient and even though I read it almost twenty years ago, it hovers in the back of my mind when things go wrong with our midwives.  Thank heavens  the1960's weren't so litigious or they might be in constant trouble.  I feared that the young girl was going to have to have her uterus removed due to doctor weirdo's bad advice.

• Love 6

Viking River Cruises should hand over sponsorship of this program to Kleenex.  Good thing I can stock up at Costco to be ready for the season.

Sr. Monica Joan may be losing her marbles but she certainly knows what to do when the chips are down.

• Love 22

I've watched every episode of this show but this is the first time it's ever made me cry (yes, I'm a bit of a robot). But man Sister Monica Joan and Cynthia in the bathroom was just too much. I was holding my breath through the whole back half of the episode as I felt either Cynthia or Trixie was going to be attacked. I thought we dodged a bullet when Fred and the other guy walked Cynthia to the phone but no.

And of all the tough births this show has given us, that mom trying to pull the afterbirth out was one of the toughest to watch for me.  Just another great episode.

Where can we go to see deleted scenes?

• Love 3

Call the Midwife: the show that makes you cry uncontrollably, cross your legs and send many silent 'thank you' prayers to whatever deity you believe in for living as a woman in a place with modern medicine and attitudes. Another powerful episode due to all the little scenes already mentioned. But the one that  sent shivers down my spine was Sergeant Noakes briefing his colleagues about the attacks and their reaction which was basically 'Women out at night get attacked - serves them right.'

• Love 11

Sister Monica Joan was perfect - she likes to push buttons (especially Evangaline's!) but she has so much empathy.  The episodes with the abused children when she helped in the wash house, a few episodes ago when she tried to stop Sister E. from packing.  She does so much with just her facial expressions she doesn't have to talk.  The whole bathroom scene was worth an entire tissue box. 

And Bryony Hannah was incredible - She's gotten tough on occasion (the gypsy camp episode stands out) but I think this is the first time she really let go, actual yelling, telling off Sister Julienne, knocking the chair over.  She did such a good job in every scene.

Do Tom and Barbara ever get a kiss that's not interrupted by an emergency or Trixie walking by?  Does Delia ever get to say more than one line? Maybe in scenes that were cut (I can't wait for the US release of the DVD's).

The cord pulling though?  There was a lot of squealing and half covered eyes in our house!  

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Call the Midwife: the show that makes you cry uncontrollably, cross your legs and send many silent 'thank you' prayers to whatever deity you believe in for living as a woman in a place with modern medicine and attitudes. Another powerful episode due to all the little scenes already mentioned. But the one that sent shivers down my spine was Sergeant Noakes briefing his colleagues about the attacks and their reaction which was basically 'Women out at night get attacked - serves them right.'

Which is exactly why Sister Mary Cynthia chose to come forward regarding her assault. The two previous victims already knew that folks would somehow place the blame on them for being attacked.  No one, certainly no police officer would willing say that a nun "caused" someone to assault her. It sucks that those two women felt unnecessary shame in their assaults.

• Love 11

Just watched my recorded episode. Once the mother was on the phone with Dr Godfrey and I realized what she was about to do to her daughter, I FFd through the scene. I've been watching this wonderful show since the beginning, and I know how graphic they can be. Trust me, even watching at double speed made me cringe.

Does anyone know if this is the last season? I LOVE this show and could see it going for many seasons more, though I know that's not really possible.

• Love 1

Why would anyone be terrified of a squirrel?

I know several people who are. They all grew up in cities, as it happens. When they spent time in the country, the proximity of those fuzzy, beclawed rodents made them, erm, squirrelly. The sounds of them scampering over the roof? Make them wail in terror.

That women are still blamed for their rapes wasn't really helped in this ep, since the attacker was the nearly mythological 'stranger in the bushes.' Had he been somebody SMC knew, I bet even she would get the 'so what did you do to lead him on?' routine.

• Love 1

I forgot to mention -- we finally had a Chummy mention! Some acknowledgement that she (and Young Sir) still exist! She was rapidly becoming the Brenda Leigh Johnson* of "Call the Midwife."

*i.e., a former main character whose husband appears occasionally on the show but who is NEVER mentioned, as in "Major Crimes."

• Love 6
2 hours ago, attica said:

I know several people who are. They all grew up in cities, as it happens. When they spent time in the country, the proximity of those fuzzy, beclawed rodents made them, erm, squirrelly. The sounds of them scampering over the roof? Make them wail in terror.

That women are still blamed for their rapes wasn't really helped in this ep, since the attacker was the nearly mythological 'stranger in the bushes.' Had he been somebody SMC knew, I bet even she would get the 'so what did you do to lead him on?' routine.

Ah but we did get some victim blaming, from Sister Julienne no less! The first thing she said to MC was not 'are you okay' or 'what can I do' but rather 'why were you cycling alone'. Rather stood out, since clearly the nuns and nurses hasn't been told to stay in pairs or anything. Trixie had no issues cycling off with the ambulance or with MC coming home on her own.

• Love 3

Trixie was my hero when Sister MC came in to the Hill's kitchen and said the ambulance wouldn't be there for a half hour. Trixie's confident reply that they would be just fine (although it was a very precarious situation) was just brilliant. And as others have said, the scene where Sister MJ bathes Sister Cynthia after the attack was one of the most loving and heartbreaking scenes I've ever seen.

I'm amazed anyone successfully camped back then given the type of equipment available. It was hilarious, and a good counterpoint to all the heavy drama. And Dr. T not being able to let work go seemed right.

And it showed character that Mrs. Hill decided to let Diane keep the baby and tell the truth. In our eyes its the easy decision, but given that we recently saw a teacher fired and evicted for being pregnant and single, you know Diane will have many hardships ahead being a single mom.

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, J-Man said:

I forgot to mention -- we finally had a Chummy mention! Some acknowledgement that she (and Young Sir) still exist! She was rapidly becoming the Brenda Leigh Johnson* of "Call the Midwife."

*i.e., a former main character whose husband appears occasionally on the show but who is NEVER mentioned, as in "Major Crimes."

Edited by AuntiePam

Tried to delete the earlier post but couldn't -- sorry!

This episode left me with questions.  Did I hear Sister Mary Cynthia tell the women, "No, I wasn't raped." ??  Why didn't Chummy's husband and the sister tell Lizzie that another woman had been attacked, and that all they needed from her was a description of the attacker? 

Where was Mrs. Hill's husband?  Was he in on the pregnancy ruse? 

Why doesn't Chummy come and visit Nonnatus House?  How far away is she?  It's weird that we see her husband but not her.

• Love 3

And Dr. T not being able to let work go seemed right.

Well, geez, if he'd been given more than five minutes to get used to the idea of a vacation, he might've! A pet peeve of mine is people planning extravagant surprises like this, expecting the recipient to be immediately on board. Allow Dr. T the pleasure of anticipation, fer pete's sake!

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

This episode left me with questions.  Did I hear Sister Mary Cynthia tell the women, "No, I wasn't raped." ??  Why didn't Chummy's husband and the sister tell Lizzie that another woman had been attacked, and that all they needed from her was a description of the attacker? 

Yes, Cynthia said she wasn't raped. Mrs Hill's husband was at sea. She said something about hoping her daughter gave birth before he got back.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, vixenbynight said:

Which is exactly why Sister Mary Cynthia chose to come forward regarding her assault. The two previous victims already knew that folks would somehow place the blame on them for being attacked.  No one, certainly no police officer would willing say that a nun "caused" someone to assault her. It sucks that those two women felt unnecessary shame in their assaults.

Didn't Sister Mary Cynthia say that she had to speak up for the women that could/would not speak and she felt that may be the reason she was destined to be attacked? (not sure how she stated it exactly)

23 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

Tried to delete the earlier post but couldn't -- sorry!

Why doesn't Chummy come and visit Nonnatus Ho`use?  How far away is she?  It's weird that we see her husband but not her.

Yes, she did say that, more than once I think.  It probably was the first question on their minds.

We don't know if Sgt Noakes asked the other two women for a description of their attacker.  It may have involved going down to the station, it certainly would have come back to them in the sense that the police would have wanted to know from where he got the description.  (and how many other women had been attacked that we did not know about)

Wasn't there a throwaway comment by the customer scolding Diane for not helping her mother about the husband being gone away?

And the question that every CtM fan wants to know -- where is Chummy?!

1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

Ah but we did get some victim blaming, from Sister Julienne no less! The first thing she said to MC was not 'are you okay' or 'what can I do' but rather 'why were you cycling alone'. Rather stood out, since clearly the nuns and nurses hasn't been told to stay in pairs or anything. Trixie had no issues cycling off with the ambulance or with MC coming home on her own.

IIRC they knew that an unhinged individual was prowling the streets at night looking for women to attack. So Sister Julienne's outburst is somewhat mitigated by the fact that she wasn't simply saying no woman should be out at night on her own on principle but that she was rather dismayed that MC had ignored the exceptional situation they were facing. YMMV.

• Love 3

Nobody pulls tears from me like Sister Julienne. When she told the mother of the colicky baby, "Cry as much as you can bear then tell me what I can do to help."

My next "dusty" moment was when Trixie begged Sister Mary Cynthia  to not lock the door which was clearly meant in the emotional sense then she followed it up with a practical reason, "You've recently been knocked unconscious." She was using everything at her disposal to try and keep them connected.

The medical stuff doesn't usually get to me but that uterine inversion had me slamming my knees together with the quickness.

• Love 10

This episode had me so stressed and as usual a puddle of tears! 

I thought for sure SMC had been raped but she said she wasn't. And the scene in the bathroom, I agree, was one of the best ever on this show. I had a colicky baby too so those scenes of the mothers despair about being a bad mother had me reliving those days. And then the poor girl with the inverted uterus, I could almost feel her pain too. I was hoping they would have told us if she would be alright and able to have more children. 

I hope they don't ask that doctor to help out anymore! He seemed senile to me. 

• Love 2

So I did hear it right.  Could she be lying?  Why would the man rape the others but not her?  She was still beaten and bitten, so the nun's habit didn't stop him.

I think the writers were worried about going there with a popular character, that they thought the viewers wouldn't be able to handle it.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, AuntiePam said:

So I did hear it right.  Could she be lying?  Why would the man rape the others but not her?  She was still beaten and bitten, so the nun's habit didn't stop him.

I think the writers were worried about going there with a popular character, that they thought the viewers wouldn't be able to handle it.

I thought the first victim Ivy? said the attack could have been worse I took to mean she hadn't been raped. Maybe I misunderstood. I didn't think he raped any of the women.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

IIRC they knew that an unhinged individual was prowling the streets at night looking for women to attack. So Sister Julienne's outburst is somewhat mitigated by the fact that she wasn't simply saying no woman should be out at night on her own on principle but that she was rather dismayed that MC had ignored the exceptional situation they were facing. YMMV.

Well maybe. But she should have had more sense than to make that her first question. I have a hard time believing that in all her years in the East End that this is SJ's first time dealing with women who are victims of violence, sexual and otherwise. While the subject of being alone on the streets might need to be raised, it could have waited at least a bit.

I'm not convinced that the young mother (can't remember her name) wasn't raped. It's not that I don't think a brutal beating wouldn't result in trauma but the way she was acting made me think there was something more. Even if she'd walked a few steps from the pram just to clear her head, I can't see how a non-sexual assault would make her so reluctant to go to the police.

I cut Sister Julienne some slack here because this was not just another victim of sexual assault but someone close to her. Closeness makes it harder to deal with a difficult situation and even someone as level-headed as Sister Julienne can lose her calm that makes her more human.

I don't think any of the victims were raped but the assaults were clearly of a sexual nature. I'm glad they handled it that way - it was still horrifying. The young mother did not want to testify because then she had to tell the Police that she had left her baby alone in the streets. She was terrified about possible consequences i.e. charges of child abandonment.

• Love 6
(edited)
10 hours ago, attica said:

Well, geez, if he'd been given more than five minutes to get used to the idea of a vacation, he might've! A pet peeve of mine is people planning extravagant surprises like this, expecting the recipient to be immediately on board. Allow Dr. T the pleasure of anticipation, fer pete's sake!

This is an effect of the editing, I think. Yes it was a surprise, but there were more scenes setting up this story that were cut out, including scenes of the planning (Patsy, Shelagh and Timothy actually talking about the plan and Patsy giving Tim the key to the Cubs' supply room), showing Patrick's exhaustion (Nurse Crane ordering him to rest on the couch in the parlor at Nonnatus while he waited for the instruments from the autoclave), and then--perhaps most importantly--a scene with Shelagh, Patrick and Timothy in the supply room gathering supplies for the trip. In this scene, Shelagh expresses some nervousness about the trip (I got the impression the camping element was Tim's idea), and Patrick reassures her that they're doing the right thing and he wants to go on the trip.  

The real problem with the PBS editing, I've decided, is not as much which characters' scenes get cut out (all the characters have had scenes cut over the 5 seasons), but the fact that little character moments that make the show what it is are a major part of what gets cut, as well as scenes that may not seem as important but add clarity to later scenes. There was also a scene involving Patsy, Delia, Barbara, and Trixie that was cut where Trixie mentions her "art history" classes, basically setting up the theme that leads to Trixie's "confession" to Patsy and Delia at the end of the episode. Without the earlier scene, the later scene (while still great) loses some of its impact. Also, throughout the show little moments that just show the characters' friendships and personalities get cut. It's frustrating to watch when you've already seen the uncut version or if you've read spoilers and know about the scenes without having actually seen them. But even if you didn't know about the cuts, watching the uncut version later also makes a difference. I remember having a question about a plot point of a season 3 episode when I first watched it on Netflix (before I knew it was edited) and then later seeing the uncut version on DVD answered my question (one very small scene had been cut that explained the situation I had been confused about). Often, scenes get cut that may not seem absolutely necessary, but they shed light on later scenes in the episode, or the season. 

With this episode, since PBS insists on cutting scenes, it does make sense that they concentrated the cutting on the first half of the episode so that the weight of the Sister MC plot in the second half could be maintained, but I still think the show is better without the edits. The show wasn't written to be edited the way PBS does (it's not the writers or creative team who make the cuts), and every scene is important in a show like this.  I wish they would extend the time slot and air the show in its entirety, or at least put the uncut episodes on their website if they insist on airing the cut version.

I highly recommend getting the DVDs if you want to see this show as it was intended to be seen. It does make a difference. The US DVDs will be released on May 24th. 

Edited by Beldasnoop
  • Love 9
(edited)

The US DVDs are unedited. The whole show is there. It's not the PBS version. On the cover they advertise that it's "The Complete Original UK Series". All the scenes are there (as part of the episodes as originally intended--not as a bonus feature). 

As for why PBS edits, it's because they have a time slot for the show, and they want to put all sorts of promos and "behind the scenes" clips into that time slot as well, even though those clips are on the website. The "Previously on Call the Midwife..." sequences are also unnecessary since they often show clips of plots that have no relevance to the current episode. The Christmas specials are not edited because they are roughly 75 minutes long, which means PBS can fit them into a 90 minute time slot and still have all their "extra" promo segments.  I have no idea why the versions available to stream from Netflix, iTunes, etc. are also edited because there are no time slots, but they are. Only the DVDs are unedited.

Last year, a few PBS stations did air the uncut version of the show (season 4), extending the time slot accordingly, But because not all stations did this and apparently some viewers complained, it seems that PBS's "solution" to this issue was to have all stations show only the cut version of season 5. I don't understand why they can't at least put the uncut version on their website. Still, there are the DVDs. If you want to see the whole, unedited show, you can buy or borrow the DVDs (a lot of libraries have seasons 1-4, apparently, and I'm assuming they'll have season 5 when it's released).

Edited by Beldasnoop
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

Well maybe. But she should have had more sense than to make that her first question. I have a hard time believing that in all her years in the East End that this is SJ's first time dealing with women who are victims of violence, sexual and otherwise. While the subject of being alone on the streets might need to be raised, it could have waited at least a bit.

I'm not convinced that the young mother (can't remember her name) wasn't raped. It's not that I don't think a brutal beating wouldn't result in trauma but the way she was acting made me think there was something more. Even if she'd walked a few steps from the pram just to clear her head, I can't see how a non-sexual assault would make her so reluctant to go to the police.

For the young mother, with the colicky baby, it wasn't just the issue of being assaulted: She's dealing with feeling guilt about leaving her baby, in the pram outside at night. For one desperate moment, she walked away from her baby. 

She thinks that if she tells exactly why she was out that night, that the Children's Aid/Welfare whatever group that was in charge of the care and well-being of children, would have cause to take her baby from her and her husband.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, anna0852 said:

1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

I cut Sister Julienne some slack here because this was not just another victim of sexual assault but someone close to her. Closeness makes it harder to deal with a difficult situation and even someone as level-headed as Sister Julienne can lose her calm that makes her more human.

At the end of the day, Sister Julienne is a product of her times. Even now, too many people kneejerk to how the victim caused the crime. Read the comments on any news story about sexual assaults, police shootings, or even online harassment and you see a festival of victim blaming no matter how heinous the perpetrator is.

• Love 6

The medical stuff doesn't usually get to me but that uterine inversion had me slamming my knees together with the quickness.

Same here!  And it didn't help that this afternoon I read the chapters in the third book ('Call the Midwife-Farewell to the East End') that dealt with the back alley abortions.  The descriptions had the same effect on me as the cord scene from last night.

There was also a scene involving Patsy, Delia, Barbara, and Trixie that was cut where Trixie mentions her "art history" classes, basically setting up the theme that leads to Trixie's "confession" to Patsy and Delia at the end of the episode.

Also, didn't Mr. Chummy mentioned that our-beloved Chummy was now taking an art history class?  Did the deleted scene include some mention of this?

Made up example of what I mean:

Delia: Trixie, Patsy and I have a new card game to teach you.

Trixie: I'd love to, but not tonight, I have an art history class.

Patsy: Oh, Chummy's in that class, say "hi" to her for us...and tell her to stop by some time.

(edited)

Squirrels are just rats with tails. I can easily imagine a small child being afraid of them. They are also very jittery. A friend of mine had a bunch of pet squirrels (I don't recommend this!) and one always enjoyed jumping on my head. I was terrified to go over there.

Where is Mirand Hart anyway? I've looked on line to see what she's been up to since she's not on Midwife and have not found anything. She's also no longer doing her half-hour sitcom which was hilarious. I thought she'd given up the sitcom to be more available to Midwife. I miss Chummy. She's really the only character on the show that I'm attached to now that Jenny is gone.

Edited by kat165
  • Love 2

As an obstetrician, I can tell you that uterine inversion is a scary emergency.  The only inaccuracy in the episode is that it is accompanied by massive hemorrhage and, the longer the uterus stays inverted, the harder it is to put it back into the proper position.  In real life, Diane would've bled to death or been very close to it and it would've been nearly impossible for Trixie to fix the situation as easily as she did (I know it probably didn't look that easy to the viewing audience).  Still love this show a lot, such a great tribute to midwifery and nursing.

• Love 10