Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Episode 5

• Start Topic

(edited)
16 hours ago, whatsatool said:

Most perfect child ever.

I laughed out loud when they cut from the midwife comforting mom "look what've you've gone through, look what you've done" to the baby. The look on that cherub's face looked as if she was thinking "what "She's" been through?!" And then, then, a smile from the babe!

Edited by elle
  • Love 5
(edited)

Even after literally giving birth like an Amazon warrior and saving her daughter's life all on her own, Mrs. Dawley doesn't trust herself with her baby and seems...not emotionally well.

I love this quote from the recap. Giving birth on your own doesn't wipe away self-doubt?

Sister Monica Joan: "I have always assumed the results of the male organ to be more rewarding than the organ itself."

What I would have given for the camera to have lingered just a little longer on each astonished face.

It got me thinking...Patsy and Delia were the only non-virgins sitting around that table, correct?

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 3

My bawling didn't start until Nurse Crane wished she could hug her mom. I hate this show, goddammit. I only have so many tissues!

So, Sr. Winifred came along to Roseanne's house, why, exactly? She didn't exactly contribute anything besides her beatific smile. Oh.

As if the cigarette-as-anvil storyline wasn't skull crushing enough, every scene Stephen McGann walked through was festooned with tobacco ads. Subtlety, thy name ain't CTMw,

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, attica said:

My bawling didn't start until Nurse Crane wished she could hug her mom. I hate this show, goddammit. I only have so many tissues!

So, Sr. Winifred came along to Roseanne's house, why, exactly? She didn't exactly contribute anything besides her beatific smile. Oh.

I was tearing up when Nurse Crane talked about her mother, but the dam broke when Sister Winifred was shown to be ugly-crying in the background. I guess that was her purpose for coming. I just looked in the linen closet and saw that I'm on my last tissue box! It seems wise that next season, I'll short-term invest in Kleenex.

• Love 6

but the dam broke when Sister Winifred was shown to be ugly-crying in the background. I guess that was her purpose for coming.

My guess is that a Sister Winifred story is a-coming. It has already been established that she does not consider herself to be a midwife natural.

I also believe we were being set-up for a similar Delia. How happy could she really be in male surgery, especially after Sister Monica Joan read her the male organ facts of life?

• Love 1

I don't care that no teenager could possibly be that perfect. I love Timothy and the whole Turner clan! Put out those coffin nails Patrick and Shelagh!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 8

I think Nurse Crane invited sister Winnifred because she (nurse Crane) didn't think she had it in her to help this mom, but in the end she did and was able to encourage the mom to give to her child too.

I laughed at Sheila who gave up 2 cigarettes and ate a bag of cookies.

The Timothy story made me laugh because the same thing happened when my parents caught me smoking as  teen and my dad asked me how I could be so stupid, and I said "the same way he could". Shortly after he quit and I never really took it up.

• Love 4

Well we did get a win this week because no Patsy/Delia scenes were cut, however, one of the Turner family scenes was cut. Why are these two couples, especially Patsy and Delia, getting shafted by the edits???

• Love 1

I wonder if they cut something from the scene with Nurse Crane and Sister Winifred.  I kept waiting for Sister Winifred to say something, but she didn't. 

Delia was great with Roseanna, but wow, what a scary experience to give birth in your foyer on your own. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

Sister Monica Joan: "I have always assumed the results of the male organ to be more rewarding than the organ itself."

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Well, what I was quoting is in the post right above this, it wouldn't let me type a response in the box & I couldn't get rid of the quote so I just had to post it. Anyway, I was eating when she said that & I almost asphyxiated, that was hysterical.

That poor woman giving birth by herself was rough, I felt bad for her then, but I have to admit, she didn't have my sympathy for the rest of her story. She had a man who loved her, a nice house, a brand new baby, respect, & she was going to give it all up because "she wasn't good enough"? WTF is wrong with you? You were abandoned as a child, so you're going to abandon your own child? I kind of wanted to smack her. 

• Love 3

""You're my world," Timothy shrugs, and it's cheesy AF, but I don't care, because though it may be something very few kids would ever actually say, it's absolutely what they all feel."

Yes, it was very Afterschool Special, but it was necessary. How could those two not see the connection between smoking and lung cancer, especially when reports are being published in medical manuals?

I liked how they showed all the cigarette ads that were based around that era. There was one that made me think of MadMen's Don and Betty Draper as being the models.

I loved the scenes between Timothy and his parents. He absolutely adores them and he's the one kid, who would say how much he loves them, because he has always been able to say it.

I remember the scenes of Doctor Turner and Timothy, before Sheleigh came into their lives. This kid was always going to be able to tell his father his feelings. It's sappy, but I love this little amazing fictional family.

The rest of the episode was brilliant. That poor mother. The trauma of her past. The love, support and faith that her husband, friends, the midwives and even her lovely baby (I'm not sure how the director caught the two smiles from that baby when she looked up at the actress.) couldn't help her see beyond the unnecessary shame she's held onto for years.

I'm so glad that Nurse Crane and the other nun was there to be able to just let that woman know that she's surrounded by love and that she's needed and loved. So glad that her friend made the call.

Fred and his wife: Perfection. I'm so glad she kicked out that customer for saying horrible things about him.

• Love 5

Brilliant recap. 

What a great episode, the Turners are just the best little TV family ever.

I was worried, at one point, that the mother had post-partum depression, but it was understandable that she just didn't feel confident enough to do it.  I've heard that parenting is always harder for orphans who had no role model.  Still in many ways she had far more support with the "call me day or night,"  Nonnatus bunch that lots of women have today.  I was a youngest child who knew nothing about babies and when I had mine, I lived in a new town with no friends or relatives.  A call to my mother would have been long distance charges I couldn't afford.  My doctor wouldn't have given me a word of advice without an appointment.  Yay, midwives!

I did wonder at the bit of fat shaming over the large woman in the haberdashery.  Really?  After all the dirt, blood and disease the midwives have seen, one of them is going to be shocked over a big bust measurement?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, GaT said:

Well, what I was quoting is in the post right above this, it wouldn't let me type a response in the box & I couldn't get rid of the quote so I just had to post it. Anyway, I was eating when she said that & I almost asphyxiated, that was hysterical.

That poor woman giving birth by herself was rough, I felt bad for her then, but I have to admit, she didn't have my sympathy for the rest of her story. She had a man who loved her, a nice house, a brand new baby, respect, & she was going to give it all up because "she wasn't good enough"? WTF is wrong with you? You were abandoned as a child, so you're going to abandon your own child? I kind of wanted to smack her. 

When it is ingrained in you as a child that you're unwanted and unworthy of happiness, a common defense mechanism is to push away from the potential for happiness because you fear you will end up abandoned again.  It took me 13 years to feel secure in a good marriage.  You wanted to smack her.  I wanted to put my arms around her and say, "I understand how you feel - but you DO deserve happiness.  Let your guard down." 

• Love 23
4 hours ago, vixenbynight said:

Fred and his wife: Perfection. I'm so glad she kicked out that customer for saying horrible things about him

They were my favorite part of the episode.  I loved the whole thing, and it warmed my cold, dead heart to see those two happy, in love, and so grateful to have each other. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, maraleia said:

Well we did get a win this week because no Patsy/Delia scenes were cut, however, one of the Turner family scenes was cut. Why are these two couples, especially Patsy and Delia, getting shafted by the edits???

PBS cuts scenes every week.  There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it.

Does anyone know if there's somewhere one could view JUST the cut scenes?  I don't want to re-watch all the empisodes but now I'm super curious. You would think PBS maybe could put the content on-line, so that those of us who are to could see everything. 

I was scared as shit that the mom had post partum depression. So much so that I was ready to delete the show if it indeed was headed that way. I had a personal experience with my next door neighbor in 2005 whose hubby was traveling for work and she called me hysterically screaming in the middle of the night that she wanted to hurt her baby because he wouldn't stop crying. My middle aged chunky body has never run next door so fast in its life. Thank God everything was ok and she knew she was in trouble and needed help. And she did get counseling. But I could not watch a storyline like that. Nope, no way, no how. BTW, that baby will be 11 this year and is the light of my life. He is smart, kind, adorable, (is in my will) and loves Aunt Spunkygal. But he will never know what happened as long as I have breath in my body. 

• Love 16

Well can there be aa better series?  No, I don't think so.  The series hits all the right notes with the correct amount of intensity for a tv audience.  The writers, crew, and cast are brilliant.

• Love 6
On 5/2/2016 at 9:23 PM, attica said:

I hate knowing that they cut scenes because when something doesn't make sense, I assume that's what happened.  Then again, it led me to consult the recap and there wasn't anything there about that, but it was a great read.  Hilarious.

And...cutest baby ever.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I was scared as shit that the mom had post partum depression. So much so that I was ready to delete the show if it indeed was headed that way. I had a personal experience with my next door neighbor in 2005 whose hubby was traveling for work and she called me hysterically screaming in the middle of the night that she wanted to hurt her baby because he wouldn't stop crying. My middle aged chunky body has never run next door so fast in its life. Thank God everything was ok and she knew she was in trouble and needed help. And she did get counseling. But I could not watch a storyline like that. Nope, no way, no how. BTW, that baby will be 11 this year and is the light of my life. He is smart, kind, adorable, (is in my will) and loves Aunt Spunkygal. But he will never know what happened as long as I have breath in my body. 

This is a great story.  Every young mother, diagnosed depression or not, should have a phone number of a  neighbor like you for just such a moment. Even if it's just a random fit of anxiety, blown out of proportion by the late hour and sleep deprivation, it's so good to have another woman to reach out to.  Thank God you were there and that she somehow sensed that you were a person who would be glad to help.

• Love 16

I used to love this show and binge on all the episodes as fast as I could!  This season just feels off to me. I still like the show but I'm not caring about the characters as much except for sister Julianne. 

The story lines are still exceptional and I love to see how things change as the century marches on though. I just don't feel close to the midwives as I did when they had a different makeup especially chummy. 

• Love 2
(edited)

What would television do without melodramatic birth scenes? The screeching, red faces, flailing about...

Timothy reading Freud. He's adorable.

When Roseanne arrived at her friend the prostitute's home, she was all spiffy and clean. Chignon, pearls, the ladylike ensemble. In the very next scene, her hair's all bedraggled, as if she immediately went to pieces and became all slovenly.

Her husband didn't sound like a gentleman - his accent.

Mr. Phillips' bon bon of a little baby - big fat pink cheeks, big eyes...I could eat her up.

I loved hearing more of Nurse Crane's story.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 5/2/2016 at 6:48 PM, MamaMax said:

Does anyone know if there's somewhere one could view JUST the cut scenes?  I don't want to re-watch all the empisodes but now I'm super curious. You would think PBS maybe could put the content on-line, so that those of us who are to could see everything. 

They're not up yet but will be, in text form with a few images here (not my site, I just got lucky and found it).

At first I was scared Roseanne was going to have a thalidomide baby all by herself. And later I was scared she was going to kill herself, the baby, or both.

21 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Mr. Phillips' bon bon of a little baby - big fat pink cheeks, big eyes...I could eat her up.

I know! I took a screenshot, I loved her so much.

And finally, I have "Buttons and Bows" in my head now after hearing it during Fred and Barbara Run a Shop, only the version in my head is more like the one from Frasier: https://youtu.be/FvAWUJCjgQE?t=1m30s

EDIT: The proper link for the missing scenes for this episode is https://celtic-dragon.me/2016/05/04/call-the-midwife-series-5-missing-scenes-505-508/

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 2

Nurse Crane asked Sister Winifred to come along because she remembered that Mrs. Dawley was very religious. Remember the scene with the husband when he said something to Nurse Crane like "let's ask God to show us the way" and Nurse Crane said "I'm not much for that sort of thing?"Then when Nurse Crane was heading over there she looked at Winifred and said I think you will be of some help here. It was because she realized that Mrs. Dawley was big on religion so having a nun there would comfort her. And then she was talking about how she met Mr. Dawley in Church. It was for the religious comfort that Crane realized she could not provide herself.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, dcalley said:

This wasn't cut, but I was reminded how I meant to mention it: Roseanne said, "I was hearing about how the baby shouldn’t sleep on its back in case it gets sick." Of course now we promote that position to reduce the risk of SIDS.

That's the crazy thing about this show.  I'm not going to have children, I don't particularly like babies*, I have the same reaction to nuns that a lot of people who went to Catholic school have, yet I love this show  And when that woman said baby shouldn't sleep on its back, even I exclaimed "No!"  So the campaign to reduce the risk of SIDS appears to be working.  And never ever shake a baby.

*But I can acknowledge a superior baby, and that fresh-born one in this episode takes the cake.  That kid should win an Emmy.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

That's the crazy thing about this show.  I'm not going to have children, I don't particularly like babies*, I have the same reaction to nuns that a lot of people who went to Catholic school have, yet I love this show  And when that woman said baby shouldn't sleep on its back, even I exclaimed "No!"  So the campaign to reduce the risk of SIDS appears to be working.  And never ever shake a baby.

*But I can acknowledge a superior baby, and that fresh-born one in this episode takes the cake.  That kid should win an Emmy.

Ha, yeah, I don't have kids either!

I have to say, I loved seeing Delia sending Sister MJ to get someone at the Maternity Home for help. Turns out MJ can listen and follow directions if you're firm enough.

• Love 5
On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 6:41 AM, AZChristian said:

When it is ingrained in you as a child that you're unwanted and unworthy of happiness, a common defense mechanism is to push away from the potential for happiness because you fear you will end up abandoned again.  It took me 13 years to feel secure in a good marriage.  You wanted to smack her.  I wanted to put my arms around her and say, "I understand how you feel - but you DO deserve happiness.  Let your guard down." 

For some reason I can't "like" anyone's posts.  I don't usually follow up on that, but I want to have my support for you logged. No-one should be smacked or made to feel unworthy or unloved.

• Love 4

@brookside, I had some similar issues. In my case, I decided I had accidentally double clicked, and it was responding to the second click. Though "you are not allowed to like so-and-so" is kind of a rude message, imo.

On May 5, 2016 at 8:43 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

When my son was born (1977), the prevailing wisdom was that to prevent SIDS  the baby should sleep on its stomach, kid you not.  I got a tongue-lashing from the visiting nurse because my son was sort of on his side, not all the way on his stomach.  

• Love 1

I love the Turners so much. I love when they are working together to figure things out and Timothy scenes have consistently been my favorite. Adding this to my other favorite episode when Timothy goes with his dad to find Shelagh when they got engaged. It was just so sweet. 

I cracked up with Fred and Violet--the hubbydasher. Just cute.

I continue to love nurse Crane. 

• Love 2