Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Man Of The House

• Start Topic

Javi says goodbye to his family prior to his deployment; Jenelle meets with Nathan, which fuels David's jealousy; Corey and Leah square off at Ali's doctor's appointment; and Chelsea and Cole debate changing Aubree's last name.

I thought Aubree's last name was already changed back to Houska? If not, then Chelsea is really just doing too much right now. Let it go.

I disagree. She's been talking about it for awhile, but a non-marital name change takes some time, and it probably wasn't an easy decision to make.

I never understood why the default plan was to give the kid the father's name anyway, especially when the mother has a different name. In Chelsea's case it's because she was young and stupid, and really wanted them to all the the Linds someday, so I can kind of understand that. But as of now, we all know Adam is only involved minimally, and only because of the MTV paychecks. Once the cameras are off, he'll disappear again, and since Chelsea's already been doing all the work anyway, I can't imagine why Aubree's last name wouldn't be Houska.

Unless, of course, they're talking about changing her last name to Cole's whenever he and Chelsea get married. If that's the case, then I absolutely agree with you. There's no reason to do that at all, unless someday Cole adopts Aubree.

So, we're really going ahead with this "man of the house" bullshit? There is no man of the house, assholes. Javi is gone and there are no men. There is a woman and two boys. Mom is the boss. Stop it stop it stop it.

• Love 7

Wow, they want to give her Cole's last name?! I know Chelsea is a fan favorite but IMO, she's really crossing the line. Adam is a dirtbag, but it's not like he's dead or completely out of the picture. Cole has known Aubrey for a whopping year and a half. It feels like Chelsea is using her kid to put the hooks into Cole and ensure he'd feel a shit ton of guilt if he ever wanted to walk away. I'm starting to really dislike her and not because I think Adam is some great guy who deserves any sympathy.

I'm praying this is just manufactured drama because she has no other storyline.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 20

In my opinion, Chelsea seems like the type that will want them all to have the same last name. It doesn't mean Aubree should have Cole's last name. Personally, I think she should be Aubree Houska.

Edited by Pdxblonde
  • Love 4

I agree, Pdxblonde, and I think most of us would. But she's always been slightly obsessed with the "happily ever after" part of marriage, and we already know she wants Adam to disappear (can't blame her, but changing the kid's name? come on). Of course she wants the picture-perfect family with all the same last name. That's probably why she pushed so hard to work things out with Adam, and now she's forcing her "happy little family" daydream into her current situation.

My mother took my grandma's husband's name when they married. But that was different--her bio dad was never in the picture, and my grandfather adopted her, and he and my grandmother went on to have more kids, and my mom never even knew she was half-adopted until she was a teenager. Not saying that won't happen with this family, but until it does, she needs to leave it alone.

Or, as Jenelle would say, "leave it alOOONE, DUUUUDE!"

• Love 4

Unless, of course, they're talking about changing her last name to Cole's whenever he and Chelsea get married. If that's the case, then I absolutely agree with you. There's no reason to do that at all, unless someday Cole adopts Aubree.

I was assuming it was a discussion about changing it to Cole's. I thought she changed it to Houska quite awhile back, but maybe she was just talking about it.  Either way I'm willing to bet the adoption discussion's already in the works, even if we don't end up seeing it. It seems like Chelsea's all about Cole being Aubree's new (and only) Daddy.

• Love 3

I would hope her name is already Houska. There is no reason for her last name to be Lind. I don't see any problem with changing it to Cole's last name and I see why she'd want to, especially if it's Lind. Personally, I'd keep Houska. But Chelsea is highly traditional/heteronormative/etc.

• Love 4

Can Chelsea legally give Aubree Cole's last name?  My niece's mother tried to pull that when my niece was little. We picked her up to have her for a couple weeks and the name inside all of her jackets, backpack, etc was her mother's latest husband's last name. We were livid and my folks called a lawyer friend. The only way she could do it legally was to have my brother sign away parental rights and that wasn't going to happen. It's not like she had step siblings and they were going for 'all the kids have the same last name'. She was an only child and her mother changed husbands like Jenelle changes soulmates.

• Love 6

I would hope her name is already Houska. There is no reason for her last name to be Lind. I don't see any problem with changing it to Cole's last name and I see why she'd want to, especially if it's Lind. Personally, I'd keep Houska. But Chelsea is highly traditional/heteronormative/etc.

I hope it's Houska and if it is and Chelsea and Cole want the entire family to have the same last name then Cole should change his name to Houska. That's what a friend of mine did when he married a woman who already had a child.

• Love 12

I hope it's Houska and if it is and Chelsea and Cole want the entire family to have the same last name then Cole should change his name to Houska. That's what a friend of mine did when he married a woman who already had a child.

I would hope so, but I'd assume that's not an option that would enter Chelsea's mind.

• Love 1

The kid's name is already Houska. It's inappropriate to change it to Cole's last name. Adam is in Aubree's life and wants more time with her. He's not dead or checked out of her life. Even though they play Trouble with the popamatic bubble each night, she's not Cole's kin. She's not Cole's daughter. For the first time since this series began, I feel a little empathy for Adam (if the kid were to be granted Cole's name).

• Love 14

I love this idea.

• Love 2

Chelsea may want to add his last name via a hyphen.

Anyone else remember when there was a scene when the MTV camera caught a drawing of Isaac's on the refrigerator and it read "Isaac Marroquin"?

Hopefully, Chelsea won't bully Cole into getting Aubree's name tattooed on his arm.

• Love 1

So Isaac has Javi's last name? I'm shocked Jo is okay with that.

I don't believe it was ever talked about on the show and I seriously doubt Jo would be okay with it. It was before Jo moved to Delaware and Kail probably thought she could present this perfect, little family to everyone there. I bet Jo was PISSED when he saw it!

• Love 3
a drawing of Isaac's on the refrigerator and it read "Isaac Marroquin"?

I can't believe Jo is okay with that, lol.  Maybe it's because Javi is in the military?  Although I've known plenty of blended families while my own dad was in the service; they all used their own names.

Chelsea needs to absolutely stop with this shit of trying to turn Cole into Aubree's new dad. Aubree's going to end up resenting Cole if her Mom doesn't quit pushing the relationship non-stop!

• Love 3

In Texas, the father has to sign his rights away for Cole (if they were in Tx) to adopt Aubree. Then she could change her last name to Coles. I don't think she can change it just because.

• Love 4

Aubree has Adams last name

And there's no way Isaac has javis name. That is just some nonsense that kail taught him when she was trying to put javi in Jo's place. I think it's interesting that we are watching Chelsea push the same agenda kail did last year. Unfortunately it's the kids that will pay for this. Statistically these relationships probably won't work out. We can already see how attached Isaac is to javi and how hard he will take their divorce and Chelsea is putting Aubree next in line.

One common denominator I see in all the teen mom girls is a total lack of thought for the future. Like kail tattooing the date that she met javi and marrying him and having another kid so soon. Chelsea pushing Cole as a father figure. Maci made the comment that permanent birth control was happening after her next kid. Slow down kids. Life is a lot longer than they think.

Edited by Lexie
  • Love 6

Aubree's last name is Lind. Chelsea met with that lawyer to change it, but didn't follow through.

I don't think Isaac's last name has been legally changed from Jo's, but Kail had him in daycare or summer camp with her last name. 

Edited by Christina
  • Love 1

Aubree's last name is Lind. Chelsea met with that lawyer to change it, but didn't follow through.

I don't think Isaac's last name has been legally changed from Jo's, but Kail had him in daycare or summer camp with her last name.

So, Kail had Isaac use "Lowry" as his last name, too?

Kail certainly did not change Isaac's last name legally, but she had him use it as if it was his name.

I remember reading an article where Aubree was mentioned as "Aubree Lind-Houska". Not sure if that is her legal name. I have known single parents who added the hyphen, but it was not a legal name change.

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 3

The whole "man of the house" thing annoys me.  I know it's tradition and all but I'm pretty sure that Mum can run a house without needing a man and I don't know what good a 6 year old "man" would be. 

I understand that it's just a saying but to me it smacks of an outdated thinking that the woman isn't capable.  

• Love 11

My husband's ex-wife told my step kids, when they were younger, that she wanted to change their last name to HER last name (she took her maiden name back after they divorced). The woman didn't have full custody. It was a control tactic, but it never went anywhere, and she upset the kids. They are extremely close to their father (we have full custody, she sees them every other weekend, if that). Now, they love the fact that WE all have the same last name (I took his last name when we married) and their mother does not. Honestly, I'm surprised she changed it back to her maiden name.

I believe you cannot sign up a child for school or anything with a fake name. I thought you had to have a birth certificate to do that, or at least legal paperwork (guardianship paperwork, etc.).

Hyphenating Aubree's last name is a good idea, too. I would have just put Houska on her birth certificate when she was born, personally, but I think Chelsea was hoping for the "happily ever after" with Adam back when Aubree was born, that she thought he would change.

• Love 1

In all honesty, what good does changing Aubree's name do at this point? Is it really what's best for Aubree or is this about Chelsea finding one more way to push Adam completely out of the picture so Cole can be the replacement?

Aubree is six. If Chelsea had such a huge issue with "Lind" she could've changed Aubree's last name back to Houska years ago. Giving a kid a stepfather's name when he isn't adopting her and the bio father is still in the picture is a total bitch move.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 6

Ah. Well, then, yes, there's no reason for her last name to be Lind. Chelsea is her full time parent.

Adam is her legal birth father, that is the very reason for her last name to be Lind. It's about Aubrey 100% until she turns 18 period. 

I have two kids with a man who has been sick with alcoholism since the day I met him. After our divorce when the kids were five and seven he moved 1/2 mile away and only saw the kids a handful of times over the years. It doesn't matter to the child, it's daddy. We adults see the faults and start the fights, but the kids just see daddy. I picked him, I chose to have not one, but two kids with him. The kids shouldn't have to suffer because we didn't work out.

I'll share this to kind of make my point. My daughter is now 21. Two Christmas Eve's ago she stopped to see her dad on the way home from church in the evening. She called me upset because he was completely blind drunk and was planning on driving 15 miles to spend the night somewhere else, she asked me to follow in her car so she could drive him there safely. She didn't say goodbye to her dad and as she got in the car that night she was very angry and crying. She told me that as they were passing through a blinking yellow light she asked her dad what would happen if she was the other car coming through there and he was drunk driving and hit her. His response was - well then you should have driven faster.  My daughter was so hurt, but it didn't matter he is still her dad and she still loves him so much and I think that's fantastic.

Chelsea does not have the right in any way, shape or form to take away the chance for Aubrey to get to know her dad growing up. It's not about Chelsea and her feelings, it's about Aubrey and her feeling not guilty about wanting to get to know her dad and spend time with him and her sister.  She can change her name to anything but it doesn't change who her dad is. If Adam chooses to end the relationship then that's on Adam, and Aubrey will figure it out on her own, I guarantee it.

• Love 13

If her last name is Lind I don't think it should be changed. It's not like Aubree is a baby and she wouldn't know what's going on. If Aubree decides on her own when she is a teenager that she wants her name changed, then she should do it, but it doesn't seem right to confuse her more over her dad at this stage. Adam is a jerk, but he is her father.

• Love 8

Adam is her legal birth father, that is the very reason for her last name to be Lind. It's about Aubrey 100% until she turns 18 period. 

I have two kids with a man who has been sick with alcoholism since the day I met him. After our divorce when the kids were five and seven he moved 1/2 mile away and only saw the kids a handful of times over the years. It doesn't matter to the child, it's daddy. We adults see the faults and start the fights, but the kids just see daddy. I picked him, I chose to have not one, but two kids with him. The kids shouldn't have to suffer because we didn't work out.

I'll share this to kind of make my point. My daughter is now 21. Two Christmas Eve's ago she stopped to see her dad on the way home from church in the evening. She called me upset because he was completely blind drunk and was planning on driving 15 miles to spend the night somewhere else, she asked me to follow in her car so she could drive him there safely. She didn't say goodbye to her dad and as she got in the car that night she was very angry and crying. She told me that as they were passing through a blinking yellow light she asked her dad what would happen if she was the other car coming through there and he was drunk driving and hit her. His response was - well then you should have driven faster.  My daughter was so hurt, but it didn't matter he is still her dad and she still loves him so much and I think that's fantastic.

Chelsea does not have the right in any way, shape or form to take away the chance for Aubrey to get to know her dad growing up. It's not about Chelsea and her feelings, it's about Aubrey and her feeling not guilty about wanting to get to know her dad and spend time with him and her sister.  She can change her name to anything but it doesn't change who her dad is. If Adam chooses to end the relationship then that's on Adam, and Aubrey will figure it out on her own, I guarantee it.

If I could like this 1000 times, I would. Adam's a jerk, no doubt about it. But, Chelsea cannot change the fact that he's Aubree's father.

• Love 4

My point is not that she should have Cole's last name but that she should have Chelsea's. Adam is her legal birth father, but Chelsea is her legal birth MOTHER and is no less her parent than Adam (actually much more). The practice of giving a child their father's name instead of their mother's is outdated and sexist anyway, especially when the parents are not even married and Chelsea has raised her since birth. Adam had no interest in her and does not have primary custody, or any custody, for that matter, besides visitation. 

I don't know what they're trying to change it to, but there is literally no reason her name should be Lind instead of Houska except for the fact that Adam has a penis. That's literally it. I didn't say, there's no reason for her not to have Cole's name. The fact that Chelsea has a uterus should not determine whether or not her own daughter can have her name. Chelsea is her parent as much as (and again, more than, but for the sake of argument) Adam is. If nothing else, there's no reason she shouldn't have a hyphenated name. Parents are 100% equal by nature--and Adam actually chose to be LESS than equal, but even if we're not going there, there's no reason besides sexism to give her only her dad's name. If she wants to change it to Houska, what difference does it make except that she has her other equal parent's name?

Edited by Lm2162
  • Love 15

One of my friends went by her stepfather's last name until she was 18, and had to start using her legal name for college applications. It's not unusual for kids to use a name like that socially. Heck, my legal name is Adorkable Witch, but if you looked me up on social media, I go by Adorkable Athiest (husband's last name) socially, because it is easier

• Love 3

I think it makes a difference because she is already 6 years old and has been going by Lind this whole time.  It's part of her identity now. She's old enough that her last name can't be changed without her being brought into conversations about why it's being done.   I am not sure if she would understand why her real father's name was being taken away, or feel good about it. I don't think it's fair to Aubree to put that on her or even talk to her about why they would be doing it. It must be confusing enough for Aubree to have a real dad who is distant and a step dad who acts more like a real dad to her.

Is Paislee's last name Lind?

• Love 10

Starfire I totally agree with your post. Changing a 6 1/2 year old's last name is not in Aubree's best interest. Chelsea chose to give aubree adam's last name. What happens if she and cole split (i hope not since I see them perfectly matched)...does aubree get another last name?

Anybody have ideas on why chelsea continues to film? If adam is only around for the cameras seems the solution for chelsea would be to quit the show since she is hell bent on replacing adam with cole as the dad.

For the most part I think chelsea is a good mon. Think she is going to far with this tho.

• Love 5

My point is not that she should have Cole's last name but that she should have Chelsea's. Adam is her legal birth father, but Chelsea is her legal birth MOTHER and is no less her parent than Adam (actually much more). The practice of giving a child their father's name instead of their mother's is outdated and sexist anyway, especially when the parents are not even married and Chelsea has raised her since birth. Adam had no interest in her and does not have primary custody, or any custody, for that matter, besides visitation. 

I don't know what they're trying to change it to, but there is literally no reason her name should be Lind instead of Houska except for the fact that Adam has a penis. That's literally it. I didn't say, there's no reason for her not to have Cole's name. The fact that Chelsea has a uterus should not determine whether or not her own daughter can have her name. Chelsea is her parent as much as (and again, more than, but for the sake of argument) Adam is. If nothing else, there's no reason she shouldn't have a hyphenated name. Parents are 100% equal by nature--and Adam actually chose to be LESS than equal, but even if we're not going there, there's no reason besides sexism to give her only her dad's name. If she wants to change it to Houska, what difference does it make except that she has her other equal parent's name?

Gotcha, and I agree when you explain it that way. I mean, I feel different than you do about what the last name should be but I think that's because of my religion and maybe I'm older and a bit more traditional.

They should just change Abrees last name to "banana-hammock" (any friends fans?). I think this falls into the catagory of none of my business... It doesn't really effect me. I remember the beginning when Adam called Aubree a mistake and Chelsea went to go change her name but I don't think she went through with it. I have a friend who after her divorce never changed her last name back so her and her daughter would keep the same last name... She's about to get remarried so now I'm actually curious what she is gonna do. In a way I understand wanting everyone to have the same last name, but at the same time especially since Aubree is a girl she will likely change her last name eventually anyway. I can also see an incentive being it may make it easier to slip back into obscurity after teen mom inevitably ends (and hopefully soon).

I used to work for a pediatrician and I remember this woman got SO mad at me because I couldn't change the name on a child's chart... I guess the ex husband was abusive, then she told me I was being abusive by forcing the child to continually be exposed to the dads last name... At the end of the day there was nothing I could do, I told her I would not say the last name but that I legally could not change the chart/paperwork/labs etc, it wasn't a matter of just crossing the name out and using a new one, it effects insurance, hipaa and stuff like that. Even when we had children who were legally adopted it was more than a year before their names legally changed so on the chart they had a name but they had an "aka" for their first names. My point being, changing a child's name is not an easy process so it's unfortunate that Chelsea didn't go through with it to change it from Lind, but at this point I think I would just let it be if I were her... But it's not a huge issue to me if she decides to change it.

• Love 5

Gotcha, and I agree when you explain it that way. I mean, I feel different than you do about what the last name should be but I think that's because of my religion and maybe I'm older and a bit more traditional.

I'm personally pretty traditional too and took my husband's last name. But clearly Aubree isn't being raised in that kind of home and Chelsea already had a child at 16 without being married, so that ship has sort of sailed, lol. I just don't think it should be assumed either way, especially when the majority of children today are born outside of wedlock. Many moms are more of a parent than the father and the dad doesn't "own" the child in that situation any more than the mom.

That said, I agree that it would be odd to just suddenly hand over Cole's name to Aubree. He isn't her dad. And if she wanted to change it to Houska, she really should have done it earlier. I don't think it's horrible to do it now or anything, but it's odd.

Edited by Lm2162
  • Love 3

I read "Chelsea considering" as "Chelsea talking to Chelsey and Cole and her parents about one day changing Aubree's last name", like "wouldn't it be great if we all had the same last name?" - not like she's actually doing it. 

I, meanwhile, feel for Dr. Tsao. I'm glad Ali likes him so much, because her parents put him through the emotional ringer. Maybe we'll hear about the mysterious pink chair.

• Love 4

It has to be frustrating for Dr. Tsao to continually tell Cory and Leah that their child needs a wheelchair to maintain her quality of life and they choose to ignore it. My fear for Ali is that she's going to take a spill where she ends up getting seriously injured. Even if she just fell down the front steps of the house, she could crack her head open.

• Love 11

Can you just enroll your child in camp or school under a fake made up name? That doesn't seem correct.

I just enrolled my son in public school kindergarten for September, and they required a copy of his birth certificate, along with proof of our address.  My son attended 5 different camps last summer, and none of the camps required a birth certificate or proof of his legal name or medical records.  His private preschool did not require a copy of his birth certificate.  The preschool required the Universal Child Health form that is filed out by your doctor, which might catch a name error unless you gave a fake name to your pediatrician also.  But basically the camps just care if your check clears, and that you claim your child is the correct age for camp on the forms.  I wouldn't make any assumptions about Aubrey's last name based upon the name that is used at camp.   

• Love 3

They probably spell her first name wrong all the time too, on the camp forms etc. (unless it was changed from Aubree to Aubrey and I missed it)

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 2

I, meanwhile, feel for Dr. Tsao. I'm glad Ali likes him so much, because her parents put him through the emotional ringer. Maybe we'll hear about the mysterious pink chair.

Agreed!  She seems to like him so much and he seems to have a soft spot for her. Maybe he does for all of his patients, which would also be awesome. Either way he must go insane with the "oh we're getting the wheelchair next week" crap.

• Love 5

. . . the majority of children today are born outside of wedlock.

Actually, this isn't true, at least not in the US; according to the CDC, roughly 40% of children are born to unmarried women, which has been stable for almost a decade.

(http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/unmarried-childbearing.htm)

I can see a single mom giving the child the husband's name in order to perhaps keep him around and reassure him that it's his (and I think that's why Chelsea did it--that and Adam was actually speaking to her at the time), but I'm not sure how I'd run it if I had kids, particularly since even if I were married I'd keep my name (hey, it's mine, and has been forever) and it's a bit too long to hyphenate.  One of my sisters, who kept her name, gave the kids the husband's last name, but they had misunderstandings for quite a while ("But you don't have the same last name as the children--do you have permission from the parents to pick them up?"  "Um, I AM the parent.").  Personally, I solved the whole problem by never having kids!

Edited by Fosca
  • Love 3

I legally changed my daughter's surname to my husband's when I got married. I have to produce her birth certificate and the court document showing her newer name when I sign her up for things. She was born in the UK and we now live in the U.S. I wasn't married to her sperm donor.

• Love 1