Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, Bastet said:

I didn't recognize the name, but as soon as I saw his picture I recognized the "What do you mean, it doesn't look good, it doesn't get to look any better than that" guy from Top Gun.

Ok, so he was the guy who first replaced Goose?

I only thought I knew him from Walker.

I always thought McVie the success w/o the recognition of Fleetwood Mac.

Lindsey & Stevie seemed to get all the press, but Christine seemed to be relegated to musician/background, when some of their most beautiful music was written & composed by her.

Everywhere is a favorite of hubby’s and mine.

RIP dear Christine.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 8

I met all the members of Fleetwood Mac a few times when I worked in the music industry, and all were nice (when I say that, I should note I had very limited interaction with Lindsey Buckingham), but none more than Christine McVie.  One of the most "normal" celebrities I've ever met. 

Stevie's tweet:

• Like 2
  • Sad 8
  • Love 12

Such a shame to hear about Christiine McVie They announced her death on the radio earlier today and played "Everywhere", "Don't Stop", and "You Make Lovin' Fun" in her honor. 

This has always been one of my favorite Fleetwood Mac songs: 

I like this one, too - I remember my dad used to play this one a lot:

Rest in peace, Christine. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Nooooooo!!!  That is so sad.

I know Stevie Nicks got most of the coverage, but I thought Christine McVie's voice was so much better.  So smooth.  

And Ms. McVie always added a bit of class to the proceedings when everyone else in the band was feuding and/or throwing themselves off the rails!

BTW, her original surname was Perfect!

Inasmuch as she seemed to be putting together new songs very recently, I sure wasn't expecting this to happen any time soon!

RIP, Ms. McVie!

• Love 4

@Bastet I was going to ask what Lindsey was like if you hadn't added what you did. I remember when he was kicked out of the band the last time that his wife filed for divorce not long afterwards. The first thing I thought was that quite a few people wanted to be rid of him at one time. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, Jaded said:

@Bastet I was going to ask what Lindsey was like if you hadn't added what you did. I remember when he was kicked out of the band the last time that his wife filed for divorce not long afterwards. The first thing I thought was that quite a few people wanted to be rid of him at one time. 

Yeah, he is by all accounts fundamentally an asshole (and I am so tired of the media describing his relationship with Stevie Nicks as "turbulent" -- no, he was abusive), so I wanted to make clear that him being nice to my random self on a highly-limited basis was nothing more than basic human respect.  There was a warm kindness in the others that came through with more interaction, and Christine McVie had also retained a connection to regular life and regular people that many lose after such extended exposure to privilege (Bonnie Raitt is the pinnacle of this "normalcy" for my experience in the music industry - which ended about 20 years ago, so I'm basing this on those I interacted with then - but McVie was up there) -- as much as I loved her voice and her songwriting, I also loved that about her. 

I love seeing "Little Lies" (co-written by Christine, and featuring her on lead vocals) posted above!  It was a hit at the time, but not as well remembered as their other hits now, yet it remains one of my favorites and the song I always put on repeat a few times when I play the disc (yes, I still play CDs). 

• Love 22
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

(yes, I still play CDs). 

So do I :D. In fact, last Saturday my mom and I threw some CDs on rotation (we have one of those 5 CD things on our stereo), and spent the afternoon just listening to some music. And we've got a CD player in our car and we'll take turns bringing CDs to play in there sometimes as well. 

I love your story about Christine. I'm glad you had such a wonderful experience meeting her, what a nice memory to have. 

• Love 15

I was surprised to read of Christine McVie's passing. No idea why I was surprised, but...I was. While "You Make Loving Fun", "Don't Stop", and "Hold Me" were great songs with her on vocals, I really liked the low-key "As Long As You Follow".

Glad she is no longer suffering, and may she sing with the angels!

• Love 6

I always preferred Christine to Stevie.  “Over My Head” is my favorite Mac track, and indeed, one of my favorite songs of all time: “Your mood is like a circus wheel/You’re changing all the time/Sometimes I can’t help but feel/That I’m wasting all of my time”.

Pouring one out for the latest addition to rock and roll heaven.

• Love 8

There’s a chapter in one of my offbeat obscure home design books, dedicated to Aline Kominsky-Crumb, whose house in France contained a bizarro yet fun hodgepodge of collectibles and sketches.  This is from the accompanying text, and I share it here.  It was dear to me from the first reading, because I was all: “Wow! I’ve always thought that too!”:

Aline doesn’t believe it is possible to take a house and turn it into a home overnight; she has faith that our personal style evolves over time and that every place we have ever lived has had an emotional impact on us so that they become a Rolodex of emotional information and we make our choices from these experiences.

Thanks for the parting shot, Aline.  Say hello to Robert for me.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Like you all, I am sort of gutted by the death of Christine.  FM was one of the groups that defined my youth, and it just stops me in my tracks that she was 79 years old.  I am really struggling to grasp how quickly the years are passing.

Tell me about it! There were still folks living who'd been adult silent movie stars and a good number of First World War veterans around when I was a teen but now even World War II vets are getting scarce as hens' teeth (and how many young folks know that idiom?).

As self-destructive and counterproductive the rest of Fleetwood Mac was, it's hard to believe that Ms. McVie (the one voice of sanity and reason throughout its journey) was the one to go first!

• Like 3
  • Love 3

This is horrifying and I extend sympathy to his family.

‘Green Book’ actor found dead in NYC

Deadline has confirmed that the NYPD has identified a body found dumped outside a Bronx sheet-metal manufacturing factory Monday as Frank Vallelonga Jr., a sometime actor most notable for his role in 2018’s Green Book. He was 60....

The New York Post is reporting that its law enforcement sources say Vallelonga Jr. likely was [a] drug-overdose victim.

Steven Smith, 35, of the Bronx, has been arrested and charged with concealment of a human corpse in relation to Vallelonga’s death.

He was the real life son of the man portrayed by Viggo Mortensen in the film.

• Sad 13
13 hours ago, Blergh said:

Tell me about it! There were still folks living who'd been adult silent movie stars and a good number of First World War veterans around when I was a teen but now even World War II vets are getting scarce as hens' teeth (and how many young folks know that idiom?).

I bought my first World Almanac in 1970, and every year I would scan their listings of famous celebrities, living and dead.  Quite a few living actors of the time were born in the 1800s.  And now those of us who were born more than 50 years later are on Medicare (I went on it in October).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Documentary filmmaker Julia Reichert who won an Academy Award in 2020 for American Factory has died, age 76., 

Damn!  The world has just lost a fabulous feminist and filmmaker.  I love her documentaries, going back to her debut, Growing up Female.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Original Sesame Street cast member Bob McGrath has passed away, according to a Facebook post by his family.

Bob McGrath, Sesame Street actor, singer, musician and children’s author, died Sunday. He was 90 years old.

His family confirmed the news on Facebook writing, “Hello Facebook friends. The McGrath family has some sad news to share. Our father Bob McGrath, passed away today. He died peacefully at home, surrounded by his family.”

McGrath was one of the original and longest-standing human stars of Sesame Street, appearing on the show from 1969-2017. He starred in a total of 460 episodes over the course of 47 seasons, serving as an educator and musician. He performed many of the show’s original songs including “People in Your Neighborhood,” “Sing a Song,” “If You’re Happy and You Know It” and its extremely popular theme song, “Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street?”

Before Sesame Street, McGrath was a featured tenor on the Mitch Miller's Sing Along with Mitch TV series.  (Wikipedia)

• Sad 31
Just now, Just Here said:

Original Sesame Street cast member Bob McGrath has passed away, according to a Facebook post by his family.

Aww!  I'm a little too old to have been a Sesame Street kid, but he was always my favorite when my younger brother was watching.

• Sad 3
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Just Here said:

Before Sesame Street, McGrath was a featured tenor on the Mitch Miller's Sing Along with Mitch TV series.  (Wikipedia)

Damn. We just lost Luis (Emilio Delgado) and now we lose Bob? 

• Sad 10
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Just Here said:

Not Bob! 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

I had no idea he was that old. Making it to 90 was pretty good. Man, now I want to watch Christmas Eve on Sesame Street.

• Love 13

Mr. McGrath seemed like a friendly older brother and ambassador to me on the show! He said that when young viewers would come up to him, he asked them to spell out their names to him- because they invariably thought he'd have already known the names via having talked to them from the other side of the screen!

Of course, it was interesting seeing his character's courtship of the hearing-impaired librarian Linda and how they decided that to just stay boyfriend and girlfriend with their own places but not get married!

Yes, this somewhat contrasted with him being married 64 years and being the father of five (and grandfather of nine) but I'm glad to hear that his family was with him when he left this world at 90.

RIP, Bob (he was just Bob to me for so many decades it's hard to use his surname even here)!

• Love 7
5 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Aww!  I'm a little too old to have been a Sesame Street kid, but he was always my favorite when my younger brother was watching.

I also am just a bit too old to have been a Sesame Street kid, but I saw a lot of it when babysitting as a teen and then in my 20s and 30s when my siblings had their kids.  Bob seemed such a gentle soul.  So many children were blessed to have him in their living rooms on a daily basis.  

• Love 6

Since 2019, we've lost Caroll Spinney (Big Bird). Emilio Delgado (Luis), and now Bob. R.I.P. Mr. McGrath. 

Actor Holly Robinson Peete, the daughter of Matt Robinson who was the OG Gordon on Sesame Street, paid tribute to Bob McGrath on her Twitter account. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Sad 3
  • Love 14
54 minutes ago, praeceptrix said:

Thanks for sharing that, elleryanne. What a great voice, gone far too soon.

And that's either a tiny piano, or Mr. Lee was very,  very tall. 

He was very tall. :)  Handsome, too.

• Sad 4
2 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

While I didn’t like her personally, I do have a soft spot for the Look Whose Talking movies.

Same here.  She's said some really stupid stuff, but I still had a "Holy shit" reaction to the news.  And I have a soft spot for that movie, too (the first one, anyway).  And Summer School.  And Drop Dead Gorgeous.

• Love 20
3 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

While I didn’t like her personally, I do have a soft spot for the Look Whose Talking movies.

I saw the first one of those films sooooooooo many times when I was little, thanks to my mom. 

• Love 7

When I saw Kirstie Alley's name trending I just assumed she'd said something....provocative...again.  I'm sad to see that she's died at such a relatively young age.

I always preferred Rebecca to Diane on Cheers and I also really enjoyed her role as Saavik in Star Trek 2.  I actually just bought that movie at a Black Friday sale but haven't had a chance to watch it yet, so I'm going to watch it now in her honor.

• Applause 1
  • Love 13

Poor Mr. and Miss Parker and the rest of their family re having lost Miss Alley. If nothing else, she was a dedicated parent to her offspring!

Edited by Blergh
children's actual surname corrected
  • Love 5