Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:
7 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Aw, Albert Finney. He was in so many, but I'll always remember his Daddy Warbucks.

I guess this means no Bonus* Aires

R.I.P. Mr. Finney.  Last night I watched the only Murder on the Orient Express I acknowledge in tribute.  

*No, this isn't autocorrect.  1982 Annie fans know why.

Edited by MissAlmond
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

R.I.P. Mr. Finney.  Last night I watched the only Murder on the Orient Express I acknowledge in tribute. 

It's the only version worth watching. When it first came out, I'd never seen Finney in anything else. I couldn't believe it when I saw him on a talk show.

• Love 4

Baltimore born here.  R.I.P Frank Robinson.  You became an O in the best trade the Orioles* ever made; you helped build the foundation of a winning  franchise that lasted nearly 20 years (1966 - 1984.)  

R.I.P. Albert Finney.  Watching old Cary Grant movies on TV may have given me my first romantic crush, but seeing you on television as Tom Jones is when I found my first sexy crush.  And a damn fine actor: Two For the Road, and The Dresser come to mind.

*Of course, now the O's are the worst team in baseball, but that's another story...

Edited by amaranta
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, ABay said:

It's the only version worth watching. When it first came out, I'd never seen Finney in anything else. I couldn't believe it when I saw him on a talk show.

That long summation at the end was incredible.

It would have been neat if Sean Connery had played him but I love Albert Finney as Kincaid, the groundskeeper in Skyfall.

EWay.gif

tumblr_mhnz6zeitA1ro0b3wo3_500.gif

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
25 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

https://www.gateworld.net/news/2019/02/carmen-argenziano-1943-2019/?fbclid=IwAR2Kq8om8cNaTQS6C4Wbw0fl-lM4LtwYfysMxWd4oE2idQEazlHE_fJC9rw

I know I saw Carmen Argenziano in many other TV shows and movies, but I'll remember him best as Sam Carter's dad in 'Stargate SG-1'. 

I remember him from so many roles over the years. He was a character actor who seemed to be everywhere on tv for awhile. He always gave solid performances. Rest in peace.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Jaded said:

It's sad and kinda eerie that he died on his birthday.

It’s not uncommon for the elderly or people who are terminal to die on dates of significance like their birthdays or holidays because of they sort of use that as a goal to get to and then feel okay to “let go”.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It’s not uncommon for the elderly or people who are terminal to die on dates of significance like their birthdays or holidays because of they sort of use that as a goal to get to and then feel okay to “let go”.

I know. When my Mom died it was the day after Thanksgiving. I was just thankful it wasn't earlier in the month more near my birthday which is what I had dreaded. 

• Love 1

Editor and publisher Betty Ballantine has died at 99.  With her husband, she founded Bantam Books and later Ballantine Books.  Ballantine Books was responsible for publishing a lot of major fantasy novels in the 60s and 70s.  Betty Ballantine pretty much discovered Peter S. Beagle and edited and published his first novel, A Fine and Private Place.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2019/02/13/arts/ap-us-obit-betty-ballantine.html?fbclid=IwAR3bh85a-PC9Ndotw7Ost1sDO3mjbosuFQJJtNrpT-z18mhU43Gje0D2xYM

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Ralph Waite of The Walton’s and a gazillion other things.

That's from five years ago (five years ago today, so it must have popped up as an "on this day ..." thing or something).

• Useful 1
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That's from five years ago (five years ago today, so it must have popped up as an "on this day ..." thing or something).

Jesus! I checked the date but didn’t read until the year because it was twice in my twitter feed back to back!

Today NASA declared an end to the Mars rover Opportunity. Yes, it was a robot and not a person, but it contributed significantly to our knowledge of Mars and gave us photos like this.

PIA21723-16.jpg

From Mars.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 20
On 2/13/2019 at 11:30 PM, xaxat said:

Today NASA declared an end to the Mars rover Opportunity. Yes, it was a robot and not a person, but it contributed significantly to our knowledge of Mars and gave us photos like this.

PIA21723-16.jpg

From Mars.

I literally did not think the death of a robot could make me cry.   But this one did.    "My battery is low and it's getting dark" have to be saddest last words ever.   Farewell little guy, you done great.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

I won't lie.  I only know of Bruno Ganz and Downfall due to the Hitler Rants parodies on YouTube.  R.I.P. Mr. Ganz.

Ironically, I first saw him when I was a teenager and watched on TV The Boys From Brazil a 1979 thriller about a plot by Dr Josef Mengele and other escaped Nazis in South America to clone Hitler in different countries. Ganz plays a professor who explains to Jewish Nazi hunter played by Laurence Olivier how you could clone a dead person using their existing DNA:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

It's been reported that Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassiss's  younger sister Lee Bouvier  Radizwill died February 15, 2019 at age 85. RIP, Mrs. Radizwill, one can't say it was a mundane life! 

• Love 4
On 2/16/2019 at 7:15 PM, BW Manilowe said:

These are from earlier this week, or a bit prior to that; both from Extra:

‘The Front Runner’ Author Patricia Nell Warren Dead at 82

‘All My Children’ Actress Candice Earley Dead at 68

I read a few of Patricia Nell Warren's books. As a young person questioning his sexuality, it meant so much to me to read a love story between two men. 

I loved Donna Beck Tyler Cortlandt Sago Tyler. I'm sorry to hear of Candace Earley's death. 

Those hookers on "All My Children" never got a break.

http://www.pinevalleybulletin.com/Quick Guide/BiographiesWeb/TylerDonna.html

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, Brookside said:

What does the age of TK mean?

I said the same thing and the only thing I can come up with is if you look at a phone keypad the T is 8 and the K is 5 and 85 is how old he was. Yeah... I got nothing.

• Love 1

From ET Online: Charo’s Husband, Kjell Rasten, Dies by Suicide (Reports)

If you don’t know her, Charo is the Spanish-born entertainer who is best known, mainly from the 1970’s & ‘80’s, for her mangled version of the English language (“misconscrewed” for “misconstrued”, etc.) & the catchphrase “cuchi cuchi”, accompanied by a shake of her body. She also did a number of guest shots on The Love Boat & voiced the character of Mrs. Toad in Don Bluth’s animated movie version of Thumbelina.

5 minutes ago, forumfish said:

My guess is it stands for "to come" and is used as a placeholder, in this case until the copywriter could find the age.

To Kome?

Something like this was my first thought, too:

4 hours ago, mishy said:

I said the same thing and the only thing I can come up with is if you look at a phone keypad the T is 8 and the K is 5 and 85 is how old he was. Yeah... I got nothing. 

8 hours ago, Drogo said:

Karl Lagerfeld, you made some really great cologne.  You also thought everyone was a little too fat.

He also said:

"Sweatpants are a sign of defeat."

K. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1