Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Oh yeah, I knew he was more than the Crown of Jewels album. I must confess, though, that I didn't realize just HOW MANY musicians he had actually worked with during his career. I know he had worked with Miranda Lambert on almost all (maybe even all?) of her albums, because I'm a huge fan of hers, but didn't know how many others there are who worked with him, too.

Edited by UYI

Wow.  Are  you making up for lost time, 2018?  What's with the sudden rush of celebrity passings?  Time to Netflix and chill for say, about 7 1/2 months.

And by the way, Betty White and Dick Van Dyke are still off-limits!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

Wow.  Are  you making up for lost time, 2018?  What's with the sudden rush of celebrity passings?  Time to Netflix and chill for say, about 7 1/2 months.

And by the way, Betty White and Dick Van Dyke are still off-limits!

Word. So many good people have passed this year.

• Love 2

I love that Mrs. Bush kept her sense of humor right to the end.  When my time comes, that's how I want to be remembered -- laughing and keeping others laughing and smiling right up until I go!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 14
16 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I hate to add to this list. According to the Boston Globe Gil Santos Patriots radio broadcaster died at the age of 78.

Rip. He had a perfect voice for radio and was right up there with the best play-by-play guys.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

That's shocking. Way too young. 

I don't think any of the linked obits have listed even a speculative cause of death. I know the 1 I linked to didn't. And, yeah, 28 is way too young to go. It would be just too sad if it were drug or psychological issues.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I don't think any of the linked obits have listed even a speculative cause of death. I know the 1 I linked to didn't. And, yeah, 28 is way too young to go. It would be just too sad if it were drug or psychological issues.

He did retire a couple of years ago because of his acute pancreatitis.

I remember seeing Vern on The Surreal Life years ago and he was a trainwreck then behavior wise. If he kept that up I'm surprised he was able to keep things going for as long as he did. 

• Love 14
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Ugh, how awful. What is it with this week?!

I know he was an alcoholic and had a bunch of health issues, but 49 is much too young. RIP Mini Me.

This week, hell. Clearly, 2018 has become jealous of 2016's haul and has decided to come out as a badass in its own right.

• Love 8

INTERJECTION.   And not a nice one.   

Lolly, Lolly, Lolly get yours adverbs here.   A sad one.  

Oh my.   May he travel with Interplanet Janet.   You know she's a galaxy girl.

So sad.    My con law professor actually played a couple of those in law school.   

• Love 12
2 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

And 2018 is just getting warmed up:

https://www.thewrap.com/bob-dorough-schoolhouse-rock-dies/

This one hurts.  I mean, who didn't grow up with Schoolhouse Rock giving us our first lessons in Math, History, English, Science, and Economics?

Rest in Peace, Mr. Dorough, and thank you for helping me be able to recite the Preamble to the Constitution to this day.

Man, that one does hurt.  I can't tell you how many times later in life I used some of the simple principles introduced in those shows, so easy to remember because the songs were so catchy.  School House Rock is the sole reason I know the preamble to the constitution.

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Man, that one does hurt.  I can't tell you how many times later in life I used some of the simple principles introduced in those shows, so easy to remember because the songs were so catchy.  School House Rock is the sole reason I know the preamble to the constitution.

And no doubt many a parent has taught his or her own children using those same songs.  Apparently, the entire collection is coming out on DVD (and you can also find most of them on YouTube). In fact, I think I'll watch a few of them when I get home from work today as a tribute to Mr. Dorough (and probably start uncontrollably crying before the first one is done!).

• Love 5
3 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

This one hurts.  I mean, who didn't grow up with Schoolhouse Rock giving us our first lessons in Math, History, English, Science, and Economics?

Rest in Peace, Mr. Dorough, and thank you for helping me be able to recite the Preamble to the Constitution to this day.

When I was in school, there was a history test I had once where you'd get extra credit if you could write out the Preamble.

Thanks to the Schoolhouse Rock song, I got that extra credit :D. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

And no doubt many a parent has taught his or her own children using those same songs.  Apparently, the entire collection is coming out on DVD

I already have the entire collection on DVD.     Got it several years ago used from a friend.    Got to see all the obscure ones that they didn't show constantly.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Annber03 said:

When I was in school, there was a history test I had once where you'd get extra credit if you could write out the Preamble.

Thanks to the Schoolhouse Rock song, I got that extra credit :D. 

I assume you remembered to add "of the United States" after "We The People"? ?

• Love 5
9 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

Along with the one about the Bill, Conjuntion Junction, What's your function, was my favorite!

• Love 7
9 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Dammit 2018. I remember those! RIP sir, and thanks!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I only know the Preamble to the Constitution because of Schoolhouse Rock, Problem is, I have to sing it!

I recited it once for... a trivia contest, I think?  Anyway, I sung it in my head head while reciting it out loud.  Funny thing... the way I recited it was with the same pauses and cadence of  the song.  That "establish justice and ensure domestic tranquility" part comes out really fast.  LOL.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Still, 94 years is a good run. I, too, know the preamble to the Constitution because of Schoolhouse Rock (except the song leaves out "of the United States")

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

• Love 6

I have the same problem with the books of the Bible.  I know them in order because of a song I learned in Sunday school, but I have to sing it in my head and report them with the same pauses and rhythm as in the song.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Along with the one about the Bill, Conjuntion Junction, What's your function, was my favorite!

That was my favorite one and I was singing it in the shower this evening. It turned into an ear worm. 

• Love 3

I learned yesterday that Dorough didn't write I'm Only a Bill.

But he did do Conjunction Junction and Lolly Lolly.    He did a lot of the newer stuff from the 90s reboot too.   

It was a great way to learn.   Good Good 11, never gave me any trouble 'til after 9.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

That's a big chunk of TV hsitory right there.   Steven Bochco did serious, Witt did funny.   And Witt did funny well.   RIP.

• Love 8