Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, CarolinaPam said:

Country music Hall of Famer Don Williams dead at 78.

http://people.com/country/don-williams-dead/

Oh no. He was the sound that sang my baby to sleep every night with his smooth voice. She was colicky and nothing else but his voice would soothe her. My daughter, now a grown woman, and I still listen to him. Let  it be said I am not usually a country music fan either. 

Thank you for posting this. 

• Love 4

Boy, what a bad day for country music.  That's particularly sad about Gentry, at only 50 years old.  I don't think I know any Montgomery Gentry songs, but I love the Gentle Giant's Tulsa Time.  He had a couple other songs I didn't particularly like the lyrics to, but his voice was so soothing I listened to them anyway.

• Love 1

I just heard about Bolling's son on another site.  I was so shocked and so sad for the family!!  His father spoke of him often on and off camera and was very proud of him.  

Worse still, He was Bolling's only child.

58 minutes ago, magicdog said:

I just heard about Bolling's son on another site.  I was so shocked and so sad for the family!!  His father spoke of him often on and off camera and was very proud of him.  

Worse still, He was Bolling's only child.

I feel especially sorry for Mrs.Bolling who already had WAY too much on her plate re her husband's questionable activities but who now has to endure what has to be the absolute WORST thing that can happen to a parent! I know nothing about her but I hope   her family and friends reach out to her to help her endure. RIP, Mr. Eric Bolling.

• Love 8
59 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

I can only remember Don Ohlmeyer as the guy who demanded Lorne Michaels fire Norm McDonald from SNL.

I believe he was also the producer of, or otherwise involved with, NBC's coverage of the Olympics for a number of years.

13 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Fired for making OJ Simpson jokes because Ohlmeyer was friends with OJ even after the acquittal. Outside of that, he was a great network executive.

I never knew that was the stupid reason he was fired. Everybody that was making OJ jokes during that time and Norm got fired for it? 

2 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I never knew that was the stupid reason he was fired. Everybody that was making OJ jokes during that time and Norm got fired for it? 

Yeah. Actually, Norm and the writer who had written all of those OJ jokes were both fired at the same time. Norm was even rehired right after Ohlmeyer left NBC.

2 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Amadeus did its pre-Broadway tryout at the theatre where I worked and it's one of my fondest memories in my 35 year stint there.  An extraordinary man and talent.

I was in the audience!  As good as the movie was, when I think of Amadeus I see Ian McKellen, Tim Curry and Jane Seymour as the leads.  They were amazing, as was the who;e production even in tryouts.  RIP Peter Hall.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Reading the obit, it appears that it was Joe Pesci who killed him in three different movies, last one being Goodfellas.   

So where exactly was Mr. Pesci at the time? I kid, I kid. R.I.P. Billy Bats. "Now go get your fuckin' shine box."

• Love 7

This is what Mark Ruffalo wrote on his FB page about Harry Dean Stanton.  He also included an extended clip of their characters' interaction in The Avengers.   For some reason, I can't link the page here, but if you're on FB, you can search for Mark and see it.

I worked with him on Avengers "Assembled" which was one of those magical once in a lifetime career moments where you are standing next to a giant and a legend and sharing a frame with him and sharing your heart with him and sharing a precious moment with him.

We spent the entire day together running lines talking about the scene, talking about wanting to find something to do together in the future. Today that is no longer a possibility. These magical moments, the ones that whisper to you their importance as they are happening. The ones that jump out and tell you that you are in a rarefied space, that imprint deeper than other memories or experiences, that lock themselves in and become a part of the patch work of stories that ones calls a "Life", they are such precious things. It's easy to take for granted at the time how precious they are, one believes there will be another go at it, another chance to catch the light of a star in the palm of your hand in the span of an afternoon while working on a major motion picture, tucked off from the others, in a sacred cinematic space, where time is inconsequential and there is no camera, and their is no crew, and there are no words, there is only truth and listening and talking. That is what it was like with Harry. His humility, his commitment to acting, his generosity of spirit his kindly vulnerability were all exceptional. He was an exceptional man and I am honored to say that i got to share the screen with him albeit briefly. To date, it is still one of my favorite moments in film making. Today I treasure it even more. When we left each other that day we said, "See you again. I look forward to it." That never came to pass, but he passed away I wish we had a chance to do it all again. So long Harry Dean, thank you for the gift of your films, your music and your being. God broke the mold on you.

Rest In Peace. Poet.

• Love 11

Harry Dean Stanton: great actor, great singer/musician, great man, great life, great loss. To quote the late Roger Ebert, "No movie featuring Harry Dean Stanton can be altogether bad." One of his lesser-known roles was as a PI in "Cheat," a 1996 Guess! jeans commercial, co-starring Traci Lords, Peter Horton & Juliette Lewis:

Cheat

RIP, sir. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 2