Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Damn, Cancer is just cutting a wide swathe isn't it. 

I just can't right now.     It's too much.   

So many good ones gone.    Meanwhile, we still have the Kardashians.  (not that I really wish cancer on anyone, even them).

• Love 1

Another one already:

Alan Rickman dies.

No real details yet, but apparently he was suffering from cancer. As good as he was as Hans Gruber, he was even better as the Sheriff of Nottingham, and as the Metatron, and as any number of other roles.

Oh HELL no! I fell in lust with him and his voice and his lips when he curled them in disgust in Judas Kiss. And I fell in love with his Colonel Brandon in Sense and Sensibility. Damn, this one hits me.

Man, I'm reading various celeb tributes via twitter/whatever, for Alan Rickman and for some, dissolving into tears. I don't even know the guy (duh, obviously), but these tributes to him, how he was such a wonderful, supportive, dedicated, caring and loving person who influenced so many others, is just killing me. We need more Alan Rickman's in the world.

• Love 7

Yeah, Sir Ian McKellen and Emma Thompson offered particularly moving statements in tribute, and taken as a whole, the various comments lead me to believe my supposition based on limited exposure was correct; Alan Rickman was, quite simply, a good guy.

• Love 8

Okay, all death is sad and I was really surprised by David Bowie earlier this week but Alan Rickman just floored me. This is a real shock, I have no idea why this is so much more upsetting, but I can't seem to comprehend this one. So sad, what a incredibly talented actor.

This ...

I grew up with Bowie ... one of my faves of all times ... 

I fell in love with Rickman as the Sheriff ... 

However, all day yesterday I was in a funk because of Alan ... my beloved Colonel Brandon ... my heart is broke ...

Both of them 69 ... far too young to be taken from this world.

• Love 2

Actually the Sheriff of Nottingham was pretty darned good too.

According to Wikipedia: "Alan Rickman turned down the role of the Sheriff twice before he was told he could more or less have carte blanche with his interpretation of the character."

Which gave us awesomely hilarious scenes like:

Rickman's  acceptance speech at the BAFTAs for Robin Hood was great:

One of the great things about both Rickman and Bowie was that they had great senses of humor:

Edited by VCRTracking

I saw Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves long after it had been on the big screen. And I hated the movie. But at the end I was flabbergasted that Kevin Costner was thought to be an actor when Rickman almost ate every scene and in a good way. This is a bit of a stunner and at some point soon I know I will see some character that simply doesn't fit and I might not even realize why, but that it demanded Rickman's skills and talents. The world of film and state is less than it was.

• Love 1

Alan Rickman was one of those stars that made me understand why May-December romances happen. I would use his voice in my head to read just for the sheer pleasure in imagining his voice. Dammit.

Cancer, if you take Bruce Springsteen away from me before I get to see him on February 3, I WILL RIP YOU A NEW ASSHOLE.

• Love 3

Cancer, if you take Bruce Springsteen away from me before I get to see him on February 3, I WILL RIP YOU A NEW ASSHOLE.

Someone posted on LiveJournal to check on Tim Curry.

I replied that they should take it back before the universe heard them.

• Love 1

More sad news for Celine Dion-her brother Daniel is dying of cancer.

And he passed very early this morning, in Montreal, at age 59 (Celine is the youngest of the 14 children in her family, by the way, if you didn't know). He had Brain, Tongue, & Throat Cancer--apparently fairly similar to Celine's husband Rene (though I never heard Rene had Brain Cancer). I'm not sure how recently, but at least at 1 point he worked in some capacity on Celine's show at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/daniel-dion-dead-celine-dions-856407?utm_source=twitter

F... Cancer. Both my parents either have had it or currently have it. I'm tired of seeing so many others get diagnosed with, & pass away from, it with few exceptions (like little Leah Still, the daughter of the former Cincinnati Bengals player, Devon Still)!

• Love 2

Well, this has been an awful week, eh? I can't listen to David Bowie without sobbing. I tried watching "The Man Who Fell to Earth" and couldn't make it fifteen minutes. He was one of my all-time favorites, and a huge inspiration to me as an artist and musician, and just like that, he's gone. Alan Rickman was punch in the gut number two. And then Brian Bedford? Most of you know him as the voice of Robin Hood in the Disney film, but he was a brilliant stage actor that I saw in Stratford, ON, and he was such a gentleman. (He also did Broadway and off-Broadway shows as well.) 

Can I just be put into a medically induced coma until January 1st, 2017? And if any other cool people die, folks like Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Roger Waters or Paul F. Thompkins, just don't tell me. Let me live in ignorance for the rest of my days. 

Like others, I was a casual fan of David Bowie; recognized his genius while liking some but not all of his songs. I saw him in The Man Who Fell to Earth and thought he was brilliant in that role. Alan Rickman's death, though, has been a punch in the gut. There are all the iconic roles others have mentioned, but I also have to give some love for his performance in Something the Lord Made, which made me pay attention to a part of medical history I knew nothing about. Finally, though, it's been heartbreaking to read all the tributes from his fellow actors, but the tribute that has moved me the most and revealed more about what Rickman was like as an individual is by a non-celeb friend of his, located here. The world has lost not just a great actor but a great person.

• Love 3

Pete Huttlinger..a world renowned guitarist died yesterday,,at the age of 57..This is MY punch in the gut...Pete was featured on John Denver's Wildlife Concert and you see him here on lead guitar:

..and here in his own You Tube video doing a KILLER version of "Superstition":

It may be a too inside the music biz but for a lot of us, sidemen and women are just as important as the leads..and their contribution cannot be downplayed....

Here's an article on his passing:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6844015/pete-huttlinger-guitarist-for-john-denver-dies-at-54

• Love 2
And he passed very early this morning, in Montreal, at age 59 (Celine is the youngest of the 14 children in her family, by the way, if you didn't know). He had Brain, Tongue, & Throat Cancer--apparently fairly similar to Celine's husband Rene (though I never heard Rene had Brain Cancer). I'm not sure how recently, but at least at 1 point he worked in some capacity on Celine's show at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.

Poor Celine! First her beloved husband, then her beloved brother. I really feel for her and hope her family and friends are there offering as much support. Poor lady. I hope she'll be okay emotionally, because, man....

• Love 2

My facebook friends are posting lots of stories about celebrities having died who died years ago.

I'm not sure what's worse... Posting on the Internet that a celebrity has died when they're still alive & well, or reposting years old obituaries of celebrities who actually have passed as if the obituaries are current.

Both result from lack of thought and illustrate how powerful a tool the Internet is for spreading disinformation.

Thanks, Bookwoman56, for posting the link to Peter Kyle's tribute to Alan Rickman.  It's always comforting to learn that a person you admired professionally or artistically was also a decent human being, and the person valued that above his/her other accomplishments.

Edited by Inquisitionist
  • Love 4

I have never cried at the loss of a celebrity, until this week. I have teared up almost every day since Alan Rickman passed. Everything I read about him just makes it worse. I has always hoped that one day I could see him on Broadway and I'm devastated that will never happen. This sucks.

• Love 7

Interesting Snopes article: Death hoaxes, like-farming, and you.

I had never heard of like-farming until just now, but a month or so ago I linked an article in the celeb news thread about Betty White being rumored to have passed away, only it was tied to some stupid advertisement for hair-coloring products. Because people don't read things anymore, or they just can't tell the difference between 'dies' and 'dyes'.

This was just posted on the Eagles' Facebook page. I'll be listening to "The Heat Is On" and "You Belong to the City" a lot tonight. :(

It is with the heaviest of hearts that we announce the passing of our comrade, Eagles founder, Glenn Frey, in New York City on Monday, January 18th, 2016.

Glenn fought a courageous battle for the past several weeks but, sadly, succumbed to complications from Rheumatoid Arthritis, Acute Ulcerative Colitis and Pneumonia.

The Frey family would like to thank everyone who joined Glenn to fight this fight and hoped and prayed for his recovery.

Words can neither describe our sorrow, nor our love and respect for all that he has given to us, his family, the music community & millions of fans worldwide.

Cindy Frey | Taylor Frey | Deacon Frey | Otis Frey
Don Henley | Joe Walsh | Timothy B. Schmit | Bernie Leadon | Irving Azoff

“It’s Your World Now”
Written by Glenn Frey and Jack Tempchin
From the Eagles’ Long Road Out of Eden album

A perfect day, the sun is sinkin’ low
As evening falls, the gentle breezes blow
The time we shared went by so fast
Just like a dream, we knew it couldn’t last
But I’d do it all again
If I could, somehow
But I must be leavin’ soon