Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Buffalo to Madrid:  Mr. Chill was awesome.  Some wit and amazingly managed to be a somewhat unique character for House Hunters without being annoying.  A very nice change of pace.  (I'm still pissed at that Germany/ghost/charm/fake drawers moving abomination that was typical HH at its worst, and I only saw the last 7 minute of the episode.)

In a different direction, that realtor cracking the whip made my mind wander....

• Love 3
On 10/29/2018 at 8:28 PM, Thumper said:

Could not believe he agreed to that commute!  She was wrong -- and sure, she was going to have renters in their place while raising very young children????  No.  There must be more to this story.

I think her smile tried and failed to mask an iron will.

• Love 2

Buffalo to Madrid:  had they actually dated before moving?  She didn’t seem to know the least little thing about him...I would think I would have known if my boyfriend liked to cook or was messy.  I think they picked the best apartment for them, I would have needed space to live with Mr. Old Man.

• Love 5

Madrid- Poor, weird-looking Jon: please run far away from Maria! I gasped when he said (about the suburban place they ultimately chose) 'I can hear the birds', and she snapped 'Good for you' (she really wanted the downtown Hobbit House). I also cringed during their shopping session, when she kept sneering at his (admittedly) goofy selections- a chocolate fountain, really? He seemed very naïve/awkward and inexperienced, and I suspect he's dazzled by his 'luck' in hooking up with a (relatively) pretty girl, and hasn't figured out what a beyotch she is yet..

I also noticed that when they finally made their choice, unlike almost ALL the couples we see, they didn't kiss. I realized then that they hadn't been shown touching or even holding hands during the rest of the episode. 

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I also noticed that when they finally made their choice, unlike almost ALL the couples we see, they didn't kiss. I realized then that they hadn't been shown touching or even holding hands during the rest of the episode. 

I'm calling fake on this whole thing.  They didn't seem to know anything about each other nor were they even friendly.  It was too bizarre.

• Love 11

I think his chocolate fountain bit was just being humorous.  But if there are issues, it's not a long flight from Madrid to Salzburg, Austria...where he can learn how to solve a problem like Maria.

"I am 25, going on 50...."

• Love 11
On 10/22/2018 at 10:55 AM, SmithW6079 said:

I remember the Irish ruins episode. Reenacting is huge. I don't recall if they did Renaissance fairs and festivals, but there are all sorts of reenacters for different periods in history.

I wonder if they did ever manage to get the work done on the ruins. I would love to see what they did with it. 

Yes, everybody, it was a rerun.  Doesn't look like they've done much with it, however.  They did appear on a local tour and hosted at least one reenactment.

Here's the website:    https://www.sigginstowncastle.com/

• Love 2
On 10/23/2018 at 7:50 PM, Pickles said:

The Manchester UK episode is not over yet, but the wife is annoying. Her glasses do her no favors and she seems quite pleased with herself for being so picky. Saying she would trash the furniture in the first apartment, just because she didn’t like it. Wow, entitled much? The husband seems reasonable. Too nice for her. 

On 10/23/2018 at 9:18 PM, LittleIggy said:

I agree with you. She was irksome. The furniture wasn’t hers to “trash” to begin with. And all the angst about the entrance being in an alley. ? The first place was my fave. The husband was nice and good looking.

I assumed she meant they'd replace it by returning it to the landlord.  But, who knows?  Sounded good for the camera, didn't it?

Yep, it did feel like an alley but minor - the street appeared to contain the rears of the other buildings.  Tough to see / feel on camera.  Probably not a bustling, city atmosphere.

Tiresome episode - felt as if they were working OT to derive minute comparisons between the places.

• Love 3

I missed the end of the HHI in Buenos Aires.  Did they pick the apartment with the never-ending views of the cemetery?  'Cause I was with her about that being creepy.  I could never live someplace where I could see a cemetery at night.  It's weird and illogical, but there it is.  Of course there was an episode with Richard buying and renovating a house in east London, and he was also put off by the one with the cemetery just over the wall from the back garden, so I guess I'm not alone.

• Love 1

Personally, I'd love to live adjacent to a cemetary. No noisy neighbors, generally the grounds are well kept, lots of places for birds if they left the trees.  I find that so peaceful, no pun intended.

• Love 14

Holy cow, how low can HHI go.  That whole twin thing was just, well, ugh.  The tagalong kept bitching but was she kicking in anything monetarily?  If you don't like it, bitch, don't go.  I guess he needs to be by pubs to get the hell away from that whole bizarre combo.

That city was just gorgeous!  All of that beautiful snow.

• Love 9
33 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Wasn't there just a regular HH episode with the twin thing too?

I was uncomfortable for the husband the whole time.  

Did either he or the twin sister have a job?

Weird. 

The husband said that he would be working remotely. All we know about the sister is that she sold her house and quit her job to make the move.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Holy cow, how low can HHI go.  That whole twin thing was just, well, ugh.  The tagalong kept bitching but was she kicking in anything monetarily?  If you don't like it, bitch, don't go.  I guess he needs to be by pubs to get the hell away from that whole bizarre combo.

That city was just gorgeous!  All of that beautiful snow.

Yeah, that was too freakin’ bizarre!  I cannot for the life of me figure out why the twin went with them. Yeah, every time she opened her mouth to complain, I was like STFU and go home. The husband looked younger than them.

• Love 8

There had to be a reason for the tagalong twin. It was somewhat creepy. And then they looked at an apartment with only one real bedroom? What was that about? There were three adults and two kids going to be living there. The final interview was interesting too because no one was super effusive about how happy they are. It was all about adjusting to living together and not much about the place they chose or how they liked living in Sweden.

On a separate note, it's Umeå, not Umea. Please pronounce it correctly, Narrator Lady. It's not hard.  

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 2

It looked like the twin was paying part of the rent, hence her harping on the budget. When they were toasting the university apartment did the husband say, holy crap? Or was that me?

I’m assuming Aunt Twin was there as part of child care—and the fulfillment of some bizarro package deal. Or maybe just the latter. While she made noises about the noisy, toilet-missing little boys, she did seem to hang with them okay. Maybe that’s also part of the package deal?

• Love 3

Wasn't there just a regular HH episode with the twin thing too?

Yes. All three house hunters were in their late 30s and knew each other since college. If there's a falling out, it's not so hard to go elsewhere since you are home. They came off as friends and I didn't get the sense that the twins were joined at the hip. Not so with this Switzerland threesome. The twins were kind of scary. The husband seemed way out of place. I see the makings of a plot for a horror film here. 

• Love 3

Kaiserlauten Germany episode:  That whole family was annoying especially the daughter.  She looked too young to me to be wearing makeup (the scene where her Dad did her ponytail) I mean really she can't pull her hair back into a ponytail????    You would also think if you're moving every couple of years you wouldn't hoard a bunch of stuff - I say this as the daughter of a Navy man and we moved throughout my childhood.

• Love 3

I was just in Umea this summer and it is so charming and fabulous!  I am so jealous of that couple (+1)!  I love my sisters, but I can't imagine having any of them THAT close!  He is one understanding husband.   Unless they have some sort of "understanding".... :/

• Love 2

Umea- I missed the first 5 minutes and thought there was some sensible explanation for the twin thing, but apparently not. When I first saw this trio, I actually thought maybe the blond was an older relative, like a mother in law, who was there to 'support' their house hunt process. I also considered the possibility that the women were lesbians, and that the guy was one of their brothers. I was amazed to learn the 2 women were twins, they looked nothing alike, and the blond looked a lot older. The husband seemed kind of disconnected to the twins' relationship.

I don't know why they even bothered to show the last place, that was just ridiculous.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, HZAnita said:

I was just in Umea this summer and it is so charming and fabulous!  I am so jealous of that couple (+1)!  I love my sisters, but I can't imagine having any of them THAT close!  He is one understanding husband.   Unless they have some sort of "understanding".... :/

Yeah.  Honestly, before I saw their names and the old picture, I wondered if they were more sister wives than sisters but decided to pass themselves off as sisters because polyamory was a bridge too far for HGTV.

• Love 9
19 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I think a well-kept cemetery would be a nice place to take a stroll.

I live about a mile from a beautiful, large cemetery and love to take my dog there for a walk.  Yes, the staff are aware (I'm not the only one) and are welcoming.  Of course, we're 100% respectful, no walking over graves, poop is immediately pick-up, and we don't go near funerals in progress.  We especially like the lake and ducks.  It's quiet, traffic moves slowly, and the flowers are beautiful and smell good.  I recommend it if the staff is cool with it.

On topic, I love my sister but wouldn't want to share my marital home with her, although I wouldn't mind her moving to the same town/country to help with the kids.  I would go crazy ... in a good way ... with all that snow!  Would love to visit the Scandinavian countries but at this point in my life, that's not going to happen. 

Sad!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

They were obviously fraternal twins. I guess if you didn't know that going in, it would be a disconnect.

Fraternal twins, yes, but the blonde did look older than her sister. She even acted older and more "settled."  As someone said, she could have been the mother-in-law.

Also, I don't know what kind of "remote" job the husband had but I had the feeling he settled for having the sister as part of the deal because he wasn't making much money.  That is, if he even had a job.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Also, I don't know what kind of "remote" job the husband had but I had the feeling he settled for having the sister as part of the deal because he wasn't making much money.  That is, if he even had a job.

Interesting, too, that there was no mention of any office space.  And his insistence on being close to pubs.  So what does he do for a living?

• Love 4
12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

They were obviously fraternal twins. I guess if you didn't know that going in, it would be a disconnect.

But fraternal twins still look like siblings. These  are the first twins I’ve ever seen (and admittedly, I haven’t seen all that many) that don’t even look related to each other. They don’t even look the same age. It’s just odd.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, TVForever said:

But fraternal twins still look like siblings. These  are the first twins I’ve ever seen (and admittedly, I haven’t seen all that many) that don’t even look related to each other. They don’t even look the same age. It’s just odd.

Siblings don't have to look like each other. Fraternal twins are just like any other siblings. Genetics is an amazing thing. I know many siblings you would never guess they came from the same mother and father. Sharing a womb doesn't make you look alike.

• Love 2
On 11/1/2018 at 10:51 PM, TVForever said:

The husband said that he would be working remotely. All we know about the sister is that she sold her house and quit her job to make the move.

I found that whole story weird.  The dynamics are bizarre, and I don't think they ever mentioned where they were moving from.  Did I miss it?  I actually re-watched from the beginning to try to figure out where they were moving from, and I still didn't hear a location.  Did the sister mention where her house and job were, or what her job was?

• Love 1
On 11/1/2018 at 11:27 PM, Irlandesa said:

I might be okay with a cemetary view but that was an aggressive cemetary view.

They chose the third.  Not the air b&b or the cemetary. 

But that was the famous Recoleta cemetery!  I would have snapped up that apartment immediately.  I’m not typically a cemetery tourist, but that one in Buenos Aires is magnificent!  And lots of cats live there!

• Love 3
On 11/1/2018 at 4:04 PM, Mittengirl said:

I wouldn’t mind living near a cemetery, as long as it was gated at night. ( To keep rowdy teens out, not to keep the residents in.)  I think a well-kept cemetery would be a nice place to take a stroll.

Recoleta is one of the in-demand places in Buenos Aires.

Plus cemeteries are often put in beautiful locales, like over expansive views of lakes and oceans.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, scrb said:

Plus cemeteries are often put in beautiful locales, like over expansive views of lakes and oceans.

John McCain's grave on the Naval Academy in Annapolis has a beautiful view of the Severn River. It's become quite the tourist attraction. We have out-of-town guests coming in 2 weeks, and that's one destination request they made.

• Love 1
On 10/30/2018 at 10:15 PM, aguabella said:

How do we know that the word "chef" or "as a chef" wasn't edited out of the 40 some-odd hours filming for the 22-minute episode?  Or, what if he graduated culinary school but is a manager or sommelier or hey, even a dishwasher?  Nothing wrong with that, either.

We could talk about editing of any show.  All we've got to go on is what we see, and that's what I commented on. 

Plus, I have a feeling that if he had been a sommelier, he would have jumped at the chance to let us know. 

• Love 1
On 11/3/2018 at 1:26 AM, izabella said:

I found that whole story weird.  The dynamics are bizarre, and I don't think they ever mentioned where they were moving from.  Did I miss it?  I actually re-watched from the beginning to try to figure out where they were moving from, and I still didn't hear a location.  Did the sister mention where her house and job were, or what her job was?

I kept yelling at the blond sister to get her own apartment.  The storyline was ridiculous.

• Love 9

I read all of the comments about the episode with the twin sisters in the Swedish episode, and finally got around to watching it last night.  Here's my theory, and it is only a theory, because HGTV certainly didn't supply any background information to support it.  Many of these moves to other countries involve one of the participants being enrolled in a college for post graduate work, which is a temporary gig, so the HH's probably won't be living in that country permanently .  I think that in this case, the wife, who was working on her PhD or doing research (I can't remember which), will be there only for a year or so.  Since she and her sister get along so well, she probably asked her sister to go and help out with the children.  The intro did say that the other sister sold her house, and I think she is using some of those proceeds to contribute to the monthly apartment rent and other expenses so her input on the budget would be valid if that is the case,  I also think that sister was probably looking for an inexpensive way to travel and see another part of the world.  Of course, IMHO, I would have chosen somewhere other than 200 miles from the Arctic Circle.  The husband said he works remotely, so trying to deal with 2 very young children and work from home would be difficult if the children are not in school or in day care. 

A little background to explain why I didn't find this episode quite as odd as others - when I was a child, my mother's father passed away and her mother moved in with us to take care of my brother and me while my mother and father worked. A year later, my aunt (my mom's sister), moved to our city, and she also moved in with us to save money.  She was a nurse, and in 1950 nurse's didn't make very much money.  We had 6 people (4 adults & 2 children) living in a 3 bed bedroom/1 bath house for 4 years, until my parents bought a house in another part of the city, and my aunt and grandmother then moved into a rental house they could afford.  They lived together until my grandmother passed away in the mid-70's.  Then about 2 years later, my parents bought another house, and my aunt bought a house across the street from them, and there they all stayed until my mom died in 2010, and my aunt decided 2 years ago to move to a retirement apartment.  During the years my mom and aunt lived across the street from each other, they had coffee twice a day (morning and afternoon), played an almost daily game of Scrabble or Skipbow, etc., shopped together, etc.  They even had a few squabbles like the sisters in the episode.  Long explanation, but I wanted to explain why I didn't think the situation was as odd some other viewers did, but of course, we don't have the benefit of knowing the true story as is often the case on HH.          

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

OK, I could have gone a long time without hearing how that dude in Vietnam likes to walk around naked.  Blech.

I need a few gallons of eye bleach to get rid of that image! ?? 

Wonder how they get to work? 

• Love 2

Hanoi: Dude looked like the Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons. He sure was dismissive of the girlfriend and her wants. At the “three months later” part, he said he had found a job so that means he didn’t have one when they were apartment hunting. And yet dude was the one insisting on his way over hers. GF must have lived a sheltered life.

• Love 4