Type keyword(s) to search

TWD Season 7 Anticipation - Evil Cliffhanger from Hell

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

Yeah, if it wasn't for the preexistence of the comics, mentioning Negan's name in press releases wouldn't mean anything. Hiding the identity of the bludgeoned person, however, wasn't for us. That's just their recent obsession with cliffhangers.  For comics readers, the wait will just answer the question of "so, did they stick with the comics or pick someone else?" *yawn* If they were doing things for comics readers, they would have excluded Negan's comic-victim from the line-up so s/he wasn't available (either by having them hold the fort in ASZ or killing him/her off earlier).

It's weird. Usually, when the comics and the show have diverged, I've preferred the show. This season and the last few episodes of last season? not so much.

• Love 4

Yeah, most comic readers I know (like me) are pretty annoyed by the cliffhanger. When it happened in print, it really did come out of nowhere, which is why it had the impact it did. In fact, I had to stop reading the series for weeks because it upset me so badly... not because of how gruesome it was, but because of what an emotional punch it had. IMO, the show runners totally squandered their opportunity at that same impact here.

• Love 9
On 5/10/2016 at 4:58 PM, Nutjob said:

Yeah, most comic readers I know (like me) are pretty annoyed by the cliffhanger. When it happened in print, it really did come out of nowhere, which is why it had the impact it did. In fact, I had to stop reading the series for weeks because it upset me so badly... not because of how gruesome it was, but because of what an emotional punch it had. IMO, the show runners totally squandered their opportunity at that same impact here.

I completely agree that it time will cause the reveal to lose so much momentum. The final scene, actor's current schedules, etc will have been over analyzed to death, and viewers will be pretty much prepared for any of them to be the victim.

I'm also prepared for the season premiere to have nothing at all to do with Negan and the group waiting for someone to die. Remember how after the dumpster fakeout the next episode was 90 minutes of Morgan learning that all life is precious? They're going to show Enid in the closet, Gabriel holding up the defense at Alexandria, Judith saying her first words, Spencer being a little bitch, Morgan and Carol making new friends, etc. I'm not expecting to see Negan and Lucille until at least episode two, possibly episode three.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, truelovekiss said:

I'm also prepared for the season premiere to have nothing at all to do with Negan and the group waiting for someone to die. Remember how after the dumpster fakeout the next episode was 90 minutes of Morgan learning that all life is precious? They're going to show Enid in the closet, Gabriel holding up the defense at Alexandria, Judith saying her first words, Spencer being a little bitch, Morgan and Carol making new friends, etc. I'm not expecting to see Negan and Lucille until at least episode two, possibly episode three.

The may have learned their lesson from the dumpster fire that was DumpsterGate. I've read Gimple et al say in multiple publications that they're starting off exactly where the finale left off with Negan.

Is this the place where we share who was a confirmed sighting on set this week?

• Love 2
On 6/8/2016 at 9:44 PM, kia112 said:

The may have learned their lesson from the dumpster fire that was DumpsterGate. I've read Gimple et al say in multiple publications that they're starting off exactly where the finale left off with Negan.

Is this the place where we share who was a confirmed sighting on set this week?

I hope they learned their lesson, but they pulled what many people think could have been a similar stunt on FTWD, so I don't think it's outsife the realm of possibilities. But I didn't read any of those articles, so I could be wrong! I just prefer having lower expectations.

And I would think it's fine? It says there are spoilers in this thread. I think I know the actor your talking about. 

On 6/8/2016 at 1:14 PM, truelovekiss said:

I completely agree that it time will cause the reveal to lose so much momentum. The final scene, actor's current schedules, etc will have been over analyzed to death, and viewers will be pretty much prepared for any of them to be the victim.

I already don't give a shit.  I've just resigned myself to:

1. Somebody I like is probably leaving the show.
  2. Odds are it will be handled in a smug, self-satisfied "ha, ha, look what we did" fashion guaranteed to generate maximum irritation, under the mistaken assumption this entire Operation Charlie Foxtrot equates to "suspense".
  • Love 19

Remember how after the dumpster fakeout the next episode was 90 minutes of Morgan learning that all life is precious?

I really never knew a television show could actually make me angry. Watching that, and the psychedelic, failed attempt to be artsy-fartsy lingering death of Tyreese had me feeling I was being tortured in some AU. The neighbours probably heard my anguished cries of, "OH, FFS! Get on with it!"

• Love 8

I have zero expectation or anticipation for Season 7. I've been a watcher since Season 1, but since Season 4, I've only continued to watch sporadically once I realized I was disliking or getting annoyed with TPTB's storytelling more and more (i.e. the governor flashback episodes, "bottle" episodes by the ton in the second half of the season, etc.).  Of the show's 900 series regulars, the only character I still have any emotional investment in is Carol (thanks solely to Melissa McBride), and her arc last season made no sense.

Gimple never learns and I fully expect him to continue to do the same annoying momentum-killing crap in Season 7 that's been turning me off since Season 4. Because of that, I'm totally with those think that the Lucille victim may not be revealed until the end of the premiere, if then. Knowing Gimple, the first 45 minutes of the premiere will either be a dream, hallucination, flashback, or roadtrip with Tara and Heath. Ugh...

• Love 8

the same annoying momentum-killing crap in Season 7 that's been turning me off since Season 4.

What really bugs me is that these annoying, momentum-killing hacks are probably sitting around rubbing their hands together in glee and congratulating themselves. "Ohh, look what we did! Everyone is trying to guess who died. What a buzz we've caused." And the sad fact seems to be that it's true - way too many people affirming this cheap, schlocky and transparent attempt to keep us all on the edge our seats. Tired old gimmicks are dragged out in place of solid writing, done in a way to make twelve-year olds roll their eyes.

• Love 8

@AngelaHunter you are so right. As much as people cried and cursed at the finale - they're still talking about it and debating who died.

I would've at least been satisfied with seeing the bat raised over the victim's head. But, in truth I don't care anymore - as long as the victim is Glenn or Maggie - preferably Glenn. LOL!

It was a dumb decision on the writers part since TWD has never had trouble keeping an audience.

• Love 2

I am very sad. There is a Walking Dead marathon on right now...and I don't care.

This Evil Cliffhanger from Hell has completely killed my enthusiasm for this series. (Ok, in all honesty, it wasn't just the finale, it was a series of bad decisions made throughout the season. The whole Glenn situation was cowardly and badly handled...and the finale was a final slap in the face and FU to the audience).

I haven't thought about the show in a very long time, and this marathon is making me realize that I no longer miss it.

Oh show...you have some serious damage control to do.

:(

• Love 13

(laughs) Hey! Season One is what got me started and made me care about these characters and where they were going. If I have lost interest in that I fear for my future with this show. :)

• Love 4
On 4/6/2016 at 0:03 PM, EllenC said:

BTW, do you guys think Dwight shot Daryl just to subdue or punish him, or in some weird way to try and save him from Lucille (because Negan was less likely to pick someone already weakened like that)? Dwight SAID he meant to hit Daryl with the crossbow, but maybe that's not true.

Dwight is clearly a magical forest ninja, so he could have killed Daryl by now had he wanted to!

That's something I've been thinking about on and off, since the finale. Probably not the most important element but still....was Dwight ultimately trying to save Darryl's life? And does he have an ulterior agenda, such as rebelling against Negan and looking for an ally in the future? I'm a noncomic book reader, so my view of Dwight is based strictly on the show. Just kept thinking that he should be feeling some sort of gratitude for Darryl, deep down inside. But given how ruthless he is (poor Denise), I can easily see how strategy is more at play.

I didn't like the cliffhanger for a different reason than most. I just wanted to get it over with. I've read the comics & I hated this part. I get people being angry- but Gimple said that they're going to make it up to us & I'm willing to give him that chance. I'm not defending all of their decisions- because I've wondered what they were thinking a few times. But I think it would be difficult to make a show out of a comic book that so many people love. Everyone has an opinion about how it should be done- especially the more iconic scenes. 

Anyway, I definitely needed to try & find out who Negan killed because I need to prepare myself. I was one of those idiots that tried to figure out who it is based on that last episode. I watched it over & over & watched the background, listened to his footsteps & tried to figure it out. But just couldn't do it. So, I had to wait until they could all be tracked. Based on that,

Spoiler

it's either Abraham or Glenn. I think it's Glenn. For one thing, there's DumpsterGate. I think the only reason they did that was to try & make us wonder whether or not Glenn would survive again. I don't think he will. Abraham's death wouldn't have the impact on the group that Glenn's death would. Also, Kirkman said that there's hints all through the episode & I think the biggest hint is that we see someone's point of view throughout the episode. That person was obviously in the vehicle & when they pulled them out, the only guys I saw was Glenn & Daryl. So that also leads me to believe it probably is poor Glenn.

I don't know why they couldn't just stay down south!!!! 

• Love 1

I hope it's Rick. I know it probably won't be, but he is the most logical person for Negan to kill. Rick was/is the group's leader, and should shoulder the responsibility for the group's actions. Plus, if you take out the leader, you've left an opening that needs to be filled. No one else's death could really be justified as anything more than random violence. The loss of Rick affects each character in a way that the loss of one of the others might not. Everyone has interacted with Rick, and he was there from the beginning.

Also, if the show had the guts to kill off the lead, even if it veers from the comics, such a move would make the show one where truly anything can happen, and that's been lacking a bit lately.

• Love 1

I think it is supposed to be random violence, which is what is supposed to make it so terrifying. If you could go, "Oh, that makes sense," then it loses that. And I also don't think the point is to break the group, it's to break Rick.

• Love 4

I haven't read the comics but I think if Negan were acting strategically, he wouldn't take out Rick.  Yes, Rick is the leader and responsible for his group but if Negan wants someone to benefit him, Rick would fall in that category.  He's led this group of people (successfully and somewhat unsuccessfully) for years.  To teach Rick a lesson and put him in line with guilt, the best option would be to kill someone that Rick depends on.  Negan wouldn't know the group's dynamic but if I recall correctly, when he made a move and comment toward Maggie, Glenn freaked.  So if nothing else, if Negan kills Glenn, he knows he'll be destroying Maggie which could lead to Maggie's resentment of Rick. 

I also agree with @kia112 that the random violence is what makes it so scary.  Negan already said that Rick and Carl were off limits so it's possible that he's not acting strategically at all but just throwing it all up to chance in his twisted eeny-meeny-miny-moe game.  Any person he kills is going to gut Rick, as their group's leader.

• Love 1

Not buying it. At least in terms of Negan's perspective. He apparently wants the group, and the best way to get THEM into line is to take out their leader. What society functions with two leaders? Or random violence? One of the themes of last season, particularly with Morgan/Carol, is that post-ZA there is no "justice system", so it's either kill or be killed, because there are no other options. Random dishing out of violence by a group that purports to have set up a social system seems to go against that.

However, it IS at its core a tv show derived from a comic book, so Rick/Andrew are off limits. I'm just positing that he shouldn't be.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

Not buying it. At least in terms of Negan's perspective. He apparently wants the group, and the best way to get THEM into line is to take out their leader. What society functions with two leaders? Or random violence? One of the themes of last season, particularly with Morgan/Carol, is that post-ZA there is no "justice system", so it's either kill or be killed, because there are no other options. Random dishing out of violence by a group that purports to have set up a social system seems to go against that.

I'd qualify that by saying - it depends upon the leader. 

Negan knows Rick is (a) the group's current leader, and (b) thoroughly cowed at present.  Kill Rick, and what happens?  The group may splinter into shards of easily containable individuals and small subgroups - but there's also the possibility another leader might step into the resultant power vacuum who could galvanize the ASZhats into additional resistance, and give Negan more trouble.

Negan is a strategist, and - as was so aptly demonstrated in last season's finale episode - Negan doesn't like to make a move unless/until he's already considered and advance-countered every possible counter-move by his opponent.  Negan has had the Saviors observing the ASZ for a while, so he knows their activities and tactics; without a spy placed moderately highly in the goings-on of the ASZ, however, Negan has no way of collecting intel on the internal dynamics of the community or its social/political power structure.  Sacrificing the devil you know for the one you don't is not in Negan's nature, unless there is an overriding urgency to do so - and my impression of Negan is that he's an extraordinarily patient man.

• Love 1

I'm really starting to lean more and more that Rick is going to die this season. I don't know if he'll be the one Negan Lucille's but JDM is getting a lot of buzz and he was all over that preview Talking Dead. And this past weekend he was doing a Supernatural convention and someone asked him about TWD and he said he was going to be around "for awhile".  SPN wanted to get him back for a couple of episodes but now that he's committed to TWD, I don't think that happens.  Why that matters IMO is that implies Negan will be around more than one season. 

Given the show keeps pushing the idea that Negan's group is the mirror of Rick's, which I don't agree with it but the narrative seems to be saying that, I think he will be getting elevated to a lead role, not just major guest star.

So my Wild Ass Speculation is that at some point Negan kills Rick and becomes the leader of both groups and they give him some kind of squirrelly redemption arc like they did with the Governor so he can be more acceptable.

20 hours ago, mandolin said:

I don't think Negan will kill Rick. They've been following the comics too closely for that to happen.

Which is sad for those of us who are not watching for an exact recreation of the comics, but for the show itself and the freedoms that come with taking a story in the direction that the show seems to be heading without being manacled to another source and ITS storyline. One of the exciting things about the series was the vulnerability of the characters and no one being "safe", because the world of the show is not safe. Except it is, for Rick.

• Love 1

TWD's primary story line is the story of Rick and Carl; while they definitely may be (and are) affected by this world and the people/events in it, I don't think either is in serious jeopardy of being killed off any time in the near future.

• Love 4

In addition to hating the cliffhanger for many reasons covered by others, what has occurred to me is- even worse- this has also set-up a situation where it is well known that the premiere will pick right up from the finale and that that will entail a character many people like getting viscously and brutally killed. I am not really in the mood to see a character I (probably) like get pulverized and I am definitely not in the mood to watch the devastation of the survivors. If it had been shown in the finale, fine, but now they have made it so I have to make a conscious choice to watch what will no doubt be a disturbing and heart-breaking scene/episode. That's risky for a viewer like me. I may not be in the mood to watch that for quite some time, and that may make me lose interest all together after a point. And I don't even need to tune-in to find out who, the internet will have that covered. 

• Love 6

I don't really care who (whom?) Negan killed. As a loyal viewer since the first episode, I'm feeling sad about that. I'm not angry about the cliffhanger, per se, it simply killed my interest in the show.

• Love 4
On 6/10/2016 at 7:37 PM, Nashville said:

I already don't give a shit.  I've just resigned myself to:

1. Somebody I like is probably leaving the show.
  2. Odds are it will be handled in a smug, self-satisfied "ha, ha, look what we did" fashion guaranteed to generate maximum irritation, under the mistaken assumption this entire Operation Charlie Foxtrot equates to "suspense".

The writers are completely out of touch or so self absorbed that they do not realize how the general average public sees the crap they have been pulling.

I actually could not care either, which is such a turn-around from last year at this time, where I was DYING to know what would happen at Terminus.

• Love 8

The preview special made it abundantly clear they don't get it.  I didn't even make it all the way to the end of it simply because I don't particularly care to be lectured about how I just don't understand the brilliance of cliffhangers and how they used to be such a big thing in TV.  I'm old enough to remember '80s TV.  I know how they worked in the pre-internet dark ages when it wasn't so easy to figure everything out anyway.  Still don't like it.

What I realized in the entire run up to Negan was that in addition to the cheap Glenn under a dumpster fakeouts, the show is increasingly leaning on the lowest common denominator of how gross can we go, how awful will AMC let us get away with making it instead of storytelling that's organic or at least makes any kind of sense.  But that's not what interests me, any more than who ends up at the end of the bat much interests me at this point.   So much character has been sacrificed this past season to make all of these people damn near invincible that I just don't care.  I've stuck with the show through all six seasons, but if I do soldier on it won't be for the Negan story at all but because I at least still sort of want to see how Carol and Morgan with yet more new people play out.  And that's fully acknowledging that Carol's and Morgan's stories last season didn't do them any favors to the point of sometimes being maddening.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, nodorothyparker said:

The preview special made it abundantly clear they don't get it.  I didn't even make it all the way to the end of it simply because I don't particularly care to be lectured about how I just don't understand the brilliance of cliffhangers and how they used to be such a big thing in TV.  I'm old enough to remember '80s TV.  I know how they worked in the pre-internet dark ages when it wasn't so easy to figure everything out anyway.  Still don't like it.

If they're thinking "Who shot J.R.?" is the pinnacle of suspense, then they - and we - are already screwed.  A true cliffhanger would have been, "Will someone die?", not "Who died?"  The first leaves you open to a myriad of possibilities, and months to mull them over.  The second is simply identification of the body.

"Cliffhanger"?  Phffft.  Alfred Hitchcock wouldn't piss on this "cliffhanger" if it were on fire, unless he was pissing gasoline.  Hitchcock did not suffer fools gladly.

• Love 10

I've been inadvertently spoiled as to who gets Lucilled-damn unread content feature on this site. 

Im still looking forward to the "devastating" , "hold your loved ones close" premier. The downside is that I will literally be in the "Happiest Place on Earth" the day this airs. We are taking the kiddos on a surprise trip to Disney and we arrive the same day. Does the hotel have AMC? Will I have to avoid social media for an entire week? Like I said, I'm spoiled but a gal can still hold out hope that this is all a dream, right? 

• Love 1

Ok so I was just watching Bachelor in Paradise and before I could change the channel, the "previously on" for Mistresses was starting and I caught a glimpse of the actress who plays Tara. Now why would someone from a hit show like TWD be slumming on Mistresses? Unless...they had been killed off hmmmm. I don't even remember if she was in that scene, but I will be beaming with smug self satisfaction if she is the who gets clubbed to death. Then again it's TWD, if she doesn't die in that scene maybe she still will later. Or, she could just be moonlighting, there's also that lol.

On 8/30/2016 at 1:21 AM, Negritude said:

Ok so I was just watching Bachelor in Paradise and before I could change the channel, the "previously on" for Mistresses was starting and I caught a glimpse of the actress who plays Tara. Now why would someone from a hit show like TWD be slumming on Mistresses? Unless...they had been killed off hmmmm. I don't even remember if she was in that scene, but I will be beaming with smug self satisfaction if she is the who gets clubbed to death. Then again it's TWD, if she doesn't die in that scene maybe she still will later. Or, she could just be moonlighting, there's also that lol.

I don't think Tara was in the line up.

• Love 2

Well there goes that theory lol. I still think she might just get killed off later on. Mistresses? Really? Tangent alert: I was just thinking that it seems like a lot of the actors from these iconic shows can't seem to parlay it into bigger opportunities. Like will we ever see Melissa McBride (Carol) in something this substantial ever again, probably not. Too bad, it's the industry's (and the audiences) loss.

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 10:49 AM, nodorothyparker said:

It makes me frustrated that they continue to deflect to the idea that the audience doesn't like that they did a cliffhanger. 

The problem is that they did a craptastic job at creating a cliffhanger.  The audience is used to the idea that a segment of the cast is zombie fodder just waiting to be munched on.  We are also understand through several fake outs and character deconstructions that No One is Safe is malarkey.

I was alive during 'Who Shot JR?'  You know why it worked 1) they shot JR (they didn't kill some unknown person who may or may not be one of the main cast members), 2) Larry Hagman played lets renegotiate my contract in the press (there was real jeopardy that JR might die because the actor was playing hardball and that fed into the cliffhanger cause no one thought he'd die otherwise), and 3) who shot JR could have been anybody, all of whom the audience knew (not some guy that was inadequately set up because they decided his presence in the comics was enough to stoke anticipation).

You want to do a cliffhanger with impact, you have no choice but to do something like Daryl/Michonne/Rick/Carl are the only choices.  Chances are they did it this way because there are untouchable cast members.  I seriously doubt the had made a final decision on ho died by the finale.  A general idea maybe, but nothing in granite.

I personally take offense at the title of this thread.  It is not the evil cliffhanger from hell.  That gives the show too much credit.  More like pace killing slide down a hill.

• Love 9

I wasn't sure which thread to post this in...

The Walking Dead: Greg Nicotero says show has gone to 'significant lengths' to protect cliffhanger secret
BY DALTON ROSS September 6 2016 — 10:40 AM EDT
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/06/walking-dead-greg-nicotero-cliffhanger

But I’d say in retrospect, I don’t think we would have changed anything. I would have still supported doing it the way that we did it, because of the fact that the story doesn’t end there. If we would have shown the deaths, then they wouldn’t have felt our characters in season 7 the way they need to. And the thing that I think a lot of people will get out of it is how that moment changes the entire makeup of our universe within a split second. And it’s that moment that launches our entire season 7 into that direction.
We start out that episode saying, “Hey, you know, if they show up, should we talk about a deal? Should we try to make some sort of deal with them?” And Rick’s like, “If they want to make a deal, have them come talk to me.” So he went from the beginning of that episode being in his mind 100 percent in control to having every single ounce of extra delay. So the point of the episode wasn’t about seeing who Negan kills, the point of the episode was seeing everything stripped away from Rick from moment to moment to moment to set up season 7, which is about the fact that Rick really had no concept of what the world outside of his sphere was like.

And the exciting part of the season coming up is, it’s not just the Sanctuary that we’re going to experience, but we have the Hilltop, we have the Kingdom, so what we’ve done is, we’ve opened up our universe to bring in many more planets, for lack of a better description. So there was a reason behind it. It certainly was not just about who Negan kills. It was about showing Rick as completely devoid of any power or control, and he’s forced to do it in front of all of his people. So when Negan does bring Lucille down, it’s meant to show how helpless all of them are, and how that random act of violence will change their lives.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I know I haven't been paying as much attention to all this as maybe some have been. It's not for whatever bullshit reason Greg Nicotero is now coming up with to justify the resounding thud of the last episode. But I resent the fact that this show is seemingly ashamed of itself. It seems afraid to take its own steps unless the steps had already been taken (and proved successful) in the comics. 

I realize the show is based on a popular comic, and there is a loyal comic audience. But the show needs to finally admit that there's also a loyal TV audience. TPTB should, but won't, acknowledge that. Instead, they seem to only want to please and placate the comic crowd. Maybe that makes TPTB feel cooler. 

I've known from day one that anyone on TWD can die. Here's a secret: in life, anyone can die. Happens every day. But what gulls me is the way TPTB is adamant in showing Rick humiliated. Yeah, he's done some stupid things. We've discussed them. Yeah, he was acting like a cocky horse's ass at the beginning of the last episode. On the other hand, you don't want to make your leader a waffling bobble head. Leaders inspire by being cocky. Rick called this one wrong, though. We've all seen Rick grieve when someone dies. As leader, that blood is on his hands. To have him pay for being cocky by making him watch a friend or two get their brains bashed in is just cruel.

It's almost as if TPTB likes Neegan more than Rick. Maybe it's cause he wears a cool leather jacket. I tell you right now I AM not interested in watching him turn himself around. By that point he will have killed at least two of our people. There is no redeeming someone like that, leather jacket or no. I am waiting for Rick to shove that baseball bat up Neegan's ass. The sooner the better.

• Love 5

I have to disagree with two things.

Its not true anyone can die on TWD.  That they go to so much trouble to limit viewer revolt over the deaths of main cast says that more than anything.  I can't remember one death that gutted me.  My reactions have ranged from finally to that's sad but the remaining cast is going to make some great moments out of this.  I have absolutely no fear that anything will happen to Rick, Michonne, Daryl, Carol, or Carl.  None.  I worry about their disfigurement, but never death. At least until the actors want to go.

Next, Neegan's jacket is not cool. At all.  There were so many zippers.  Probably more in my mind than were really there.  But I kid you not, during the harrowing final cliffhanger scene I was on google typing stuff like.  Fonz's leather jacket.  Grease leather jacket.  Michael Jackson's Bad jacket. I was trying to figure out where I'd seen the stupid thing before.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Next, Neegan's jacket is not cool. At all.  There were so many zippers.  Probably more in my mind than were really there.  But I kid you not, during the harrowing final cliffhanger scene I was on google typing stuff like.  Fonz's leather jacket.  Grease leather jacket.  Michael Jackson's Bad jacket. I was trying to figure out where I'd seen the stupid thing before.

Mad Max's leather jacket?

14 minutes ago, JackONeill said:

Wait!!!!! You solved it (at least for me). This show needs Mad Max (Mel Gibson version, 1.0). Not only was he a bad ass, but he could always find gas.

Anyone who could take on Wez and the Humungous wouldn't even blink at Neegan.

• Love 1

Yay, the cliffhanger will be resolved soon. (golf clap)  Wonder if they are going to stick with canon and kill off Glenn or just go wild and unexpected.  Maybe Sam and Dean Winchester will show up. "Dad, what are you doing?!"

• Love 1
On 9/7/2016 at 9:58 AM, tv echo said:

It certainly was not just about who Negan kills. It was about showing Rick as completely devoid of any power or control, and he’s forced to do it in front of all of his people.

This assertion by Nicotero is just silly. The way they ended it made it PRECISELY about who Negan kills. I mean, really, Greg: my right leg's tired...pull on the left one awhile.

Rick's inability to help or protect his people was more than obvious in the final scene. It was, for me, the defining element of that scene: Rick is utterly helpless and it's awful, and I'm feeling the helplessness right along with him. But choosing to not show who died didn't amplify his dis-empowerment AT ALL. If we'd seen Lucille connect, an artful and brutal moment of realization over who's been lost with an instant fade to black, I would have spent the entire hiatus mulling it over, eager to see how they would carry on and how they would move forward with Negan (and perhaps grieving a little, depending on who they killed...) Instead, I've spent the hiatus irritated and ready to be pissed at the show-runners when it returns--and that's coming from a fan who's been willing to go along with damned near everything they've ever done! (Except for the stupid Beth-and-Darryl-bond-over-moonshine idea; that episode can crawl off and die.)

• Love 13

I suspect that the reason TPTB went for the cliffhanger is because of worry that they would lose a lot of fans over the summer if they killed off some favorite characters.  This way, people will tune in for the season opener, and they can hope that they'll stay with it, and the show won't lose as many viewers.

• Love 1