Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

While its good that they actually remembered Lani's mother why didn't she return when Lani lost her baby or John/Marlena got married(again) since she was Marlena's BFF at one point.

Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis!?!!  Be still, my heart, I love them both.

I hate musical interludes on soaps, but what an absolute treat if we got to hear those two sing!

• Love 7
On 10/19/2019 at 12:37 PM, boes said:

Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis!?!!  Be still, my heart, I love them both.

I hate musical interludes on soaps, but what an absolute treat if we got to hear those two sing!

I was just fixing to ask if she was “that” Marilyn McCoo. I don’t remember her from the soap, but I do remember her from the radio.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

True...but apparently we are to take it with a grain of salt. Maybe it's a short return.

I saw that! The only other thing I could think of was the app or digital series. I can't think of another reason he'd be on set. 🤔

• Love 1
6 hours ago, YupItsMe said:

I was just fixing to ask if she was “that” Marilyn McCoo. I don’t remember her from the soap, but I do remember her from the radio.

She was a cast member for 6+ months back in the mid-80s.  She was a college bestie of Marlena, an established lounge singer who took a gig at Blondies, dated Abe Carver, and sang at one of the Marlena-RoJohn weddings.  So it wasn't just a cameo role, she was on contract and carried some peripheral storylines.

I love love love that the show does stuff like this.  After 32 years !

Stealing from Jason47's page:

For the first time in 32 years, singer Marilyn McCoo will reprise her role as Tamara Price, Lani Price's mother, beginning Friday, November 1 (Episode # 13715). Back in 1986 on "Days", Tamara came to Salem as one of Marlena's friends, and sang at Marlena and Roman (now John)'s wedding that same year. She briefly dated Abe Carver before leaving town on May 7, 1987. Viewers did not learn until 2015 that Tamara left Salem pregnant and gave birth to Abe's daughter, Lani. ....8,237 episodes will have aired since McCoo's last appearance on "Days" (Episode # 5478).

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 4
On 10/24/2019 at 12:25 PM, CRT said:

Marilyn McCoo was never on contract. She appeared in a total of 21 episodes over a period of 8 and a half months: 10 in 1986, 11 in 1987.

I liked seeing those photos but it's also sad.  Soaps used to be so popular that they got to go on locations like Greece ... and now they're limited to a few sets and maybe a local park, if they're lucky.  The melancholy for soap actors must be brutal some days.  😞

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Kitty Redstone said:

I liked seeing those photos but it's also sad.  Soaps used to be so popular that they got to go on locations like Greece ... and now they're limited to a few sets and maybe a local park, if they're lucky.  The melancholy for soap actors must be brutal some days.  😞

OMG yes. I have ancient VHS tapes of a bunch of episodes from the 80’s. I let my daughter watch some a while back and reliving Bo and Hope's wedding in London was really something especially when the budget is so pathetic now. The massive amount of flowers and extras alone probably cost more than the shows budget now.

• Love 4

I think it’s funny how many different ways they Marlena’s office. The last I saw it was now the chapel. Remember when they had a set just for the chapel? Days is the cheapest of reused sets of all the soaps. I guess GH might be next with all of the Metro Court suites that most of the cast live in. Y&R & B&B are really good with their use of sets. Although, the rooftop of CBS is used for a lot of stuff on B&B.

I miss the 80’s & 90’s so much. The soaps kicked ass and had a boatload of money to splurge for on location shoots. It doesn’t necessarily mean it improved the acting or storylines but it was sure pretty to look at. 

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I think it’s funny how many different ways they Marlena’s office. The last I saw it was now the chapel. Remember when they had a set just for the chapel? Days is the cheapest of reused sets of all the soaps. I guess GH might be next with all of the Metro Court suites that most of the cast live in. Y&R & B&B are really good with their use of sets. Although, the rooftop of CBS is used for a lot of stuff on B&B.

I miss the 80’s & 90’s so much. The soaps kicked ass and had a boatload of money to splurge for on location shoots. It doesn’t necessarily mean it improved the acting or storylines but it was sure pretty to look at. 

I think a lot of the storylines etc that we loved or at least didn't hate as much back then seemed better than it was because of the glossiness of where they were.  Looking back there are things in soaps that did not age well over the years

19 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I kind of wonder what story they'll have for her but it's nice to see she'll be back.

If only we could also have Anne and Theresa back as well. They were the best buddies Salem ever saw.

Anne can come back Theresa can stay gone though.... that being said I think Sheila will probably return because my guess is JE returns as Bonnie and her and Sheila were in prison together at one point. She's probably there to help with some lame scheme of hers.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I kind of wonder what story they'll have for her but it's nice to see she'll be back.

If only we could also have Anne and Theresa back as well. They were the best buddies Salem ever saw.

They sure were!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Soaps used to do much more of this.  Have people on who were friends and have them have actual conversations.  I would really like it if there was more day to day stuff.  No, we don't need to see people buying groceries, watching TV or reading a book, just people doing interesting things at their jobs, and talking with their friends about what's happening in their lives - maybe low key drama about stupid jealousies and misunderstandings.  If every other day is someone coming back from the dead, someone committing murder, and stupid plots like brainwashing and revenge, there is no shock/suspense value in anything.   We know they aren't going to kill off certain characters and never even feel slightly bad if they do because we know it is more likely than not that the character will be back in a month or two.  If everything is a main event, then nothing is a main event.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

Soaps used to do much more of this.  Have people on who were friends and have them have actual conversations.  I would really like it if there was more day to day stuff.  No, we don't need to see people buying groceries, watching TV or reading a book, just people doing interesting things at their jobs, and talking with their friends about what's happening in their lives - maybe low key drama about stupid jealousies and misunderstandings.  If every other day is someone coming back from the dead, someone committing murder, and stupid plots like brainwashing and revenge, there is no shock/suspense value in anything.   We know they aren't going to kill off certain characters and never even feel slightly bad if they do because we know it is more likely than not that the character will be back in a month or two.  If everything is a main event, then nothing is a main event.

Outside of Jennifer/Hope  and even Adrienne/Kayla to a point have had this. The rest? Not so much and I agree soaps used to do this it made the characters seem more real and relatable plus made the stories better because they added a human element to them for the audience to care about? Now soaps are just .. devoid of any real humanity.

I mean look at Lani's wedding it should be a much bigger event she should have friends and family she knew for years to be there for this day and yet.. nothing.

• Love 2
On 11/2/2019 at 11:40 AM, DisneyBoy said:

I disagree with Anne/Theresa being the best buddies that Salem has ever had.  Off the top of my head, Marlena/Eugene, she was his best woman at his wedding and she gave Sami his name as a middle name. Marlena/Bo, she was instrumental in reconciling him with Roman.  Marlena has always been a healer of those in pain. Marlena/Isabella, they went from rivals to  Isabella asking her to raise Brady after her death. She also named her second daughter after her.  Bo/Steve, they went from enemies after Bo poked out his eye to becoming great friends and in-laws. Bo/Theo sr. Bo/Eugene, Kim/Neil, Kim/Marlena, Tony/Marlena, Renee/Marlena, Maggie/Marlena, Mike/Marlena, Steve/Hope, Melissa/Hope, Hope/Shane, Kayla/Adrienne, Jack/Isabella, Carly/Jennifer, Carly/Isabella, Lumi, Jennifer/Kristen/Billie were much better friendships.

Marlena and Bo have had the best friendships on the show in my opinion. It is a testament to how well written they were in the past by writing teams who gave a damn.

John/Victor, Jack/Sami, Jack/Greta, Jack/Nicole, Jack/Billie and Jack/Kate all had potential to be great friendships but the show did nothing with them. I always wanted Sami/Anna to bond as a contrast to the awesome Marlena/Carrie bond.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

I think out of that last set Jack/Billie and Jack/Greta were pretty solid friendships considering. He'll, even Jack/Sami had a good run. Unfortunately that was the start of the show phasing out friendships and making everyone related. 

• Love 2
On 11/2/2019 at 10:40 AM, DisneyBoy said:

She’ll be fucking around with Bonnie. Bonnie is probably gonna kill Adrienne and take over her life for “reasons”

• Love 1

I really really hope we're on a smart enough to make him a new character and not try to resurrect Stefan. Wouldn't it be great if he was *gasp* a nice guy? Someone with a simple job would be nice to all those around?

I can't imagine Ron would be able to resist the urge to make him resurrected Stefan with amnesia or something else weird. But I really hope he just makes him a normal guy.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I really really hope we're on a smart enough to make him a new character and not try to resurrect Stefan. Wouldn't it be great if he was *gasp* a nice guy? Someone with a simple job would be nice to all those around?

I can't imagine Ron would be able to resist the urge to make him resurrected Stefan with amnesia or something else weird. But I really hope he just makes him a normal guy.

I am SO over these back-from-the-dead stories.  Once every 10 or 20 YEARS (it can only be more than that if WE know at the time the character is faking their death) it becomes a dramatic twist, once every few months and it just becomes boring repetition.  And they can miss me with the beloved-character-in-a-coma/near-death stories all the time too.  We KNOW they aren't going to kill the character (or if they do, they'll just be back from the dead within 6 months anyway) so come up with something different.  It seems like everyone is either involved in DRAMA or rarely seen.  How about a happy medium.  Show Jennifer and Adrienne running the paper, have a character get a rare non-fatal disease and have the hospital staff working to find a cure, or have some random person die after an accident and have everyone involved questioning their actions, have problems at Titan or DiMeara that don't involve getting a new CEO every other week.  I would love to see Marlena dealing with a patient where she isn't sure if she's being played or not.  If EVERYTHING is DRAMA then nothing is drama.  It's like listening to someone who yells all the time.  After a while you no longer pay them any attention.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

No it’ll be something dumb AF like right after Kayla took his heart for Julie, Rolf whisked him away and transplanted some random person’s in him or gave him a bionic one. 

AND (like Brady) his scar will magically disappear so he can do shirtless scenes.

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Seriously. I'm so over soaps trying to make people falling for rapists (or for serial killers in general 🙄) happen. Stuff like that is DOA for me.

source.gif

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

No it’ll be something dumb AF like right after Kayla took his heart for Julie, Rolf whisked him away and transplanted some random person’s in him or gave him a bionic one. 

Mm-hmm.  Then we had to go through all this Gabi nonsense for no reason.

Edited by superdeluxe
  • Love 4

Well Jack donated all his organs and came back Stefan being resurrected isn't that farfetched in comparison. The sad part is we're subjected to this story now because they got rid of a popular actor they could've kept all along.

• Love 3

FWIW when the first hint that Brandon was back surfaced, back in September a dayplayer posted a grainy pic of what looked like him on maybe a motorcycle shop set. So there's a chance it will be a new character.

Btw Galen posted this pic yesterday before Jason confirmed the news (then he deleted it). I'm happy to see MA is still there too.

IMG_20191107_073812.jpg

• Love 8
2 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Its Susan Haiduk(Kristen) if they actually bring BB back as someone other than Stefan I'll legit be surprised but I think he's going to have amnesia or something and we know how Ron likes to recycle stories.

Because Ron is not talented enough to do anything but retreads or time skipping, so he can hide said flaws of not being able to develop said stories.

Maybe RC should have stuck with law.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

James Read will always be poor Murphy to me (against Pierce Brosnan's Steele for Laura Holt's affections in S1) on Remington Steele - and eye candy along with Patrick Swayze in North & South!

He'll always be Prue, Piper and Phoebe's dad on Charmed for me.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I read that Days isn’t even taping now. They are trying to get closer to tape/air date compared to 6 months out. Is this true? If so, I’m all for it. 

They're on hiatus from Nov 2019-Apr 2020. They already filmed up to June 2020 at the very least they won't film more episodes till they know they are going to be renewed beyond Sept 2020.

1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

They're on hiatus from Nov 2019-Apr 2020. They already filmed up to June 2020 at the very least they won't film more episodes till they know they are going to be renewed beyond Sept 2020.

I guess it’s a nice break from working but how does the pay work? Do they get paid as they work or does it have to air? I’m just thinking this aloud and not suggesting you would/should know. That said, that’s an even longer break then I even imagined. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

I guess it’s a nice break from working but how does the pay work? Do they get paid as they work or does it have to air? I’m just thinking this aloud and not suggesting you would/should know. That said, that’s an even longer break then I even imagined. 

That part isn't clear yet as far as the cast is concerned. The actor part of it will be interesting. For instance, if someone's contract is up in May 2020, to save money the show might decide to save money by cutting their contract short in November 2019 (contract cycles are 13 or 26 weeks, depending on veteran status, and can be terminated at the end of each respective cycle). But then if the show's renewed, that actor isn't on contract anymore and the show may have to work to get them back on board (if they intend to continue writing for them). Several contracts would also lapse anyway during a longer hiatus, so they'd all be in the same boat if an agreement isn't signed before the break begins.

The crew would not get paid. They're part of a union, and would hopefully be able to join other projects in the interim. Maybe there's some kind of agreement that they'd get first priority to return when the show starts filming again? I'm completely unsure in terms of the writers. Ron is on board through January, so it's possible they won't know the show's status until after his contract lapses. But I have no idea what will happen with the script or breakdown writers either way (whether the show is renewed or not, depending on when the decision is announced, etc.) I really hope the show has figured this all out, because it could obviously get really messy if they haven't! 😬

• Love 5
On 11/9/2019 at 10:23 PM, QueenSerena said:

That part isn't clear yet as far as the cast is concerned. The actor part of it will be interesting. For instance, if someone's contract is up in May 2020, to save money the show might decide to save money by cutting their contract short in November 2019 (contract cycles are 13 or 26 weeks, depending on veteran status, and can be terminated at the end of each respective cycle). But then if the show's renewed, that actor isn't on contract anymore and the show may have to work to get them back on board (if they intend to continue writing for them). Several contracts would also lapse anyway during a longer hiatus, so they'd all be in the same boat if an agreement isn't signed before the break begins.

The crew would not get paid. They're part of a union, and would hopefully be able to join other projects in the interim. Maybe there's some kind of agreement that they'd get first priority to return when the show starts filming again? I'm completely unsure in terms of the writers. Ron is on board through January, so it's possible they won't know the show's status until after his contract lapses. But I have no idea what will happen with the script or breakdown writers either way (whether the show is renewed or not, depending on when the decision is announced, etc.) I really hope the show has figured this all out, because it could obviously get really messy if they haven't! 😬

So, ugh, I hate quoting myself. But since this news is being put out there right now, I wanted to come back to this because I don't think it's time to freak out just yet.

They had to decide whether to pay the actors to do nothing for 3-4 months (for the upcoming filming hiatus) or release them from their contracts, and it appears they've made their decision. I fully believe this was planned, and would be surprised if it has any bearing on a renewal decision. Plus I'd have to think they could get agreements to re-sign in writing before the break begins in a couple weeks.

Edited by QueenSerena
  • Love 1