Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

I loved Vern, whatever happened to him? I adored his friendship with Jack.  Jack always clicked with women as friends but his closeness with Vern was very heartwarming. He was what Jack needed after Harper.  He was a wonderful influence and he was so funny with Jack..

In RL the actor died in 2008 but we did see him in the 2000s he was still married to Jo. Abby used to refer to him as Grandpa Vern. He hasn't been referenced since though so I assume they killed off Vern off screen at some point.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I loved Vern, whatever happened to him? I adored his friendship with Jack.  Jack always clicked with women as friends but his closeness with Vern was very heartwarming. He was what Jack needed after Harper.  He was a wonderful influence and he was so funny with Jack..

Well ,presumably , he and Jo are still married and living together. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Rafael said:

Well ,presumably , he and Jo are still married and living together. 

The recast Jo, Marilyn McIntyre, is still alive. However, Wayne Heffley, who played Vern, died a good decade or so ago. So either that or Jo is now a widow. Assuming the show doesn't have both die off screen.

Actually, and no fault of Ms. McIntyre, I think Jo should have died with Joy Garrett. But I'm not TIIC, so...

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

HOLY SHIT! The soap gods have shined down on me!

excited happy birthday GIF

So many characters were trashed for him.  Sami became a heroine and lost her fire, she is an anti-heroine. Carrie looked like a hypocritical bitch going after her sister's husband, Kate became a petty bitch bullying Jordan over Rafe, Kate in character would have seen Billie in Jordan.  Hope was gifted to Rafe by Bo and don't get me started on Stefano's murder and cover-up. Lucas came out the worst, he was marginalized and written out to facilitate Safe. Lumi should have ended up together. Rafe leaving now is too little too late.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

GG is leaving and Alison Sweeney is taping..  does Rafe die and Sami goes to his funeral.

That would be a great episode!

I would want a laugh track for it, though.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, tribeca said:

Did anyone besides me click on that link to read that interview ?

It seems more like a so long not good bye.  

I couldn't make out exactly what the hell he was saying.  But even if he's only gone for a while, I'll take what I can get with this show.

Maybe somehow he ends up being forced to go on one of those deliciously year long cruises Julie used to go on?  And the Skipper is named Gilligan?  I really will take ANYTHING that gets him off the screen.

Edited by boes
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

It's funny, when I first came back to Days in 2014, almost everyone on the show was a new-to-me character, including Rafe. At the time, he was with Jordan, and I thought they were a cute couple. Then he cheated on her with Kate, and that was the end of my fondness for him.  And ROPE just made it worse.  So I won't miss him.  And will be fine if he takes some others with him. The show needs a shakeup, even if it means some of my favourites end up leaving too. 

• Love 5

I'm glad Rafe is finally leaving, but it just seems like there are other characters on the show right now who are so, so much worse.

I guess this means Corday is finally permanently throwing in the towel on Rope? I wonder who he plans to pair up KA with? There's no way they'll leave her single...

Though honestly that would be my preference.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, bannana said:

Even if he is leaving, we still have to see him for something like six months, right?

no way what GIF by Shalita Grant

I'm so sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's probably closer to 7 more months. They're right around that far ahead as of this week. And I completely understand if this is your response:

giphy.gif

😉😂

• LOL 4
1 minute ago, Lastwaltz said:

That's sad news about WilSon.. They better have them go off happily into the sunset together to make a fresh start far away from Salem. 

LOL.  You talking about them going off happily into the sunset reminds me of the gay couple John Paul and Craig on the British soap Hollyoaks.  They left together rather unceremoniously, and fans were upset that they didn't get a happily off into the sunset departure.  So, a couple of years later, John Paul came back without Craig, they had broken up.  John Paul had a few relationships while he was back in town, and then Craig came back.  They went off together again, and their last scene was them kissing in front of a travel poster with a picture of a sunset.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

LOL.  You talking about them going off happily into the sunset reminds me of the gay couple John Paul and Craig on the British soap Hollyoaks.  They left together rather unceremoniously, and fans were upset that they didn't get a happily off into the sunset departure.  So, a couple of years later, John Paul came back without Craig, they had broken up.  John Paul had a few relationships while he was back in town, and then Craig came back.  They went off together again, and their last scene was them kissing in front of a travel poster with a picture of a sunset.

And now John Paul is back again--without Craig who apparently is with someone else offscreen.

So, gone so far are:

Rafe

Sonny

Will

Dear show: Axe KRISTEN NEXT!

Sounds like another reboot. I wonder which actors will return? I have no investment one way or another with the character, but another board I visited said Camila Banus left a sort of cryptic message and some are wondering if she is out, too. (I highly doubt it; isn't

Spoiler

Brandon Barash coming back

?) But it does make me wonder if we'll see more popular characters go if just to lessen budget woes.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, QueenSerena said:

And, with that, I'll be bidding you all adieu come September 18th. Without them, I don't have a reason to watch anymore.

Well, hell, September 18th will be my last day, too.  I don’t care about any other character on the show.  They’re the only reason why I watch.  Let’s hope they do go off into the sunset together.  But knowing Ron, one of them will get killed or they’ll both get killed.

So, does that mean there will be no gay characters on the show?  Unless they’re bringing back Leo or somebody.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

John Paul married Ste, then they broke up, and he's back yet again.

It's shocking how different the British soaps are when it comes to LGBT characters especially hollyoaks compared to American soaps.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, superdeluxe said:

Well, hell, September 18th will be my last day, too.  I don’t care about any other character on the show.  They’re the only reason why I watch.  Let’s hope they do go off into the sunset together.  But knowing Ron, one of them will get killed or they’ll both get killed.

So, does that mean there will be no gay characters on the show?  Unless they’re bringing back Leo or somebody.

September 18th? My birthday! (Apparently, that was also the date Guiding Light met its end. Not a lucky day for soaps/soap characters, I guess.)

2 hours ago, Harmony233 said:

It's shocking how different the British soaps are when it comes to LGBT characters especially hollyoaks compared to American soaps.

The thing that really amazes me about British soaps is how much money they actually put into it.  The soap Emmerdale has an entire village set, including a pub that serves real beer.  Plus an apparently working farm.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, QueenSerena said:

And, with that, I'll be bidding you all adieu come September 18th. Without them, I don't have a reason to watch anymore.

This really makes no sense.  Why bring Will back from the dead only to write him off?  Of course haven't they done that with Jack a couple of times?

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Camila just put out a video on social media where she was crying, and saying that she was going to have to stand up for herself because nobody else will stand up for her.  Nobody has any idea what that was about.

👚👙👗 that couldn't travel out of the studio.....

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, bannana said:

This really makes no sense.  Why bring Will back from the dead only to write him off?  Of course haven't they done that with Jack a couple of times?

Sooooooo, I've alluded to it here before, but one of the executive producers with the show has a big issue with the gay characters. Like, continually toned down scenes and cut story for them. I shit on Ron a lot, but he'd likely been painted into a corner where he could no longer tell the stories he wanted to for them - he clearly wanted to write for them, but the producer who declared Leo's story to be "too gay" apparently did quite a number on Will & Sonny's stories too.

On top of that, this same producer wouldn't allow an episode featuring Will & Sonny to be submitted for best show Emmy consideration last year. Yes, simply because it had the gays in it. That resulted in Will & Sonny's interactions with certain other characters that they use for Emmy bait getting shifted from that point on (and yet another story ending early). So if you too would like to lodge a complaint against Albert Alarr, you may want to drop a comment here https://www.nbc.com/contact-us and/or on the Twitter machine. I know I did!

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, QueenSerena said:

Sooooooo, I've alluded to it here before, but one of the executive producers with the show has a big issue with the gay characters. Like, continually toned down scenes and cut story for them. I shit on Ron a lot, but he'd likely been painted into a corner where he could no longer tell the stories he wanted to for them - he clearly wanted to write for them, but the producer who declared Leo's story to be "too gay" apparently did quite a number on Will & Sonny's stories too.

On top of that, this same producer wouldn't allow an episode featuring Will & Sonny to be submitted for best show Emmy consideration last year. Yes, simply because it had the gays in it. That resulted in Will & Sonny's interactions with certain other characters that they use for Emmy bait getting shifted from that point on (and yet another story ending early). So if you too would like to lodge a complaint against Albert Alarr, you may want to drop a comment here https://www.nbc.com/contact-us and/or on the Twitter machine. I know I did!

I just did, thanks for the info!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, buffynut said:

Over on the DR site, one mod "liked" a post that mentioned Jay Kenneth Johnson (Philip) returning.  If they are bringing back Philip, perhaps more of the Last Blast gang will be returning too.  

We knew that JKJ was coming back in August anyways so maybe he's sticking around. As much as I love Phillip I'm not sure I want this I hate to see this show ruin another one of my faves.

3 hours ago, Lastwaltz said:

Super curious about Camila's mysterious post. Does she have a habit of exposing her emotions on social media or is this outburst significant because it's unique? Verrrrry interesting. 

I guess you forgot about how she ranted over being released from contract a few months ago( like everyone else)  which doesn't mean that the show was going to get cancelled etc. and Doug Davidson was talking about how that doesn't help actors and people trashed him for it... kind of funny in retrospect.

Oh and her rant about lack of Latina representation at the Emmy's

So no this isn't surprising.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, bannana said:

See I was ok with Will staying dead because honestly he was better off I mean look at what happened when they resurrected him?

However IMO the only reason they resurrected him was for Ben's "redemption" nothing more.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, buffynut said:

Over on the DR site, one mod "liked" a post that mentioned Jay Kenneth Johnson (Philip) returning.  If they are bringing back Philip, perhaps more of the Last Blast gang will be returning too.  

I bet they’re celebrating over there.  They hated them some Freddie Smith.  I got banned for calling them out on their Freddie hate.  At least, I think that’s why I got banned.  They never told me.  I just know that’s the last post I made before going and seeing the banned notice.

15 hours ago, QueenSerena said:

Ron hands are tied when it comes to Wilson.

51 minutes ago, superdeluxe said:

I bet they’re celebrating over there.  They hated them some Freddie Smith.  I got banned for calling them out on their Freddie hate.  At least, I think that’s why I got banned.  They never told me.  I just know that’s the last post I made before going and seeing the banned notice.

They were so cruel over Freddie's weight gain, they revel in cruelty and nastiness.  I believe he had an illness that he had to take medication that caused him to gain weight.  I see nothing wrong with having different body types on television. Not every man needs to have a six pack.. That moderator over at that site is a piece of work.   I believe Freddie now does alot of crash diets but it is his body and his choice to do as he sees fit..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 9

This is what makes me more sad about it, because I'm also a DR refugee - their main admin is the wooooooorrrrrrrrrrrsssssssst - who feels like I finally found my people (or at least most of my people) here. But without a true reason to watch the show anymore....

Anyway, the guys talk about it here. Sounds like the show did a terrible job in letting them know what was happening, as in they didn't say a word and let them find out through reading their scripts:

• Love 4

I'm terribly pissed about Chandler and Freddie. And yeah I may hate Ron for his godawful writing and botching characters I love but no way would he being an openly gay man have anything to do with this. IMO something big is going down with the higher ups and I'm suspecting Camila being upset is tied into it.

Oh wait I think I'll bash Ron a little just for having a hand in making Will and SuperBen buddies. Because I truly hate that shit with the fire of a thousand suns.

ETA: good lord that interview is frustrating. Imagine multiple emmy winners finding out through a damn script they are being cut? 😖

Edited by howmanywords
  • Love 7

Awww, now I just love these two guys for real. It's a bit navel-gazing but I enjoyed seeing them work through all of their feelings about the end of their time at Days, bringing up old scenes that were memorable for them. Thanks for bringing this here, @QueenSerena!

And so interesting when Freddie talks about filming the Adrienne's dead scenes with Wally and Chandler - he actually says his emotional reaction surprised even him. We wondered over on Current about that. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, howmanywords said:

I'm terribly pissed about Chandler and Freddie. And yeah I may hate Ron for his godawful writing and botching characters I love but no way would he being an openly gay man have anything to do with this. IMO something big is going down with the higher ups and I'm suspecting Camila being upset is tied into it.

Oh wait I think I'll bash Ron a little just for having a hand in making Will and SuperBen buddies. Because I truly hate that shit with the fire of a thousand suns.

ETA: good lord that interview is frustrating. Imagine multiple emmy winners finding out through a damn script they are being cut? 😖

Ron isn't responsible for hirings and firings especially if Camila is cut since she's one of his faves. He is responsible for who he's interested in writing and not writing for though.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Ron isn't responsible for hirings and firings especially if Camila is cut since she's one of his faves. He is responsible for who he's interested in writing and not writing for though.

Is Camilla cut? what is going on over there? This sounds like madness..