Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

53 minutes ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

It’s confirmed: Brandon Barash and Kassie DePaiva are out.

Do they have some random "bingo" game they're playing and depending on who yells "bingo", that's who gets cut loose?

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, SueB said:

Do they have some random "bingo" game they're playing and depending on who yells "bingo", that's who gets cut loose?

Well, Eve I can see going. Shane, Kim, and Theresa are not on canvas and the crap with Jack and Jen should have never occurred. She should have had full focus on Ben. Since the show really didn't go there much, Eve - at least this version - serves no purpose.

But cutting Stefan loose now that he is working and has a popular pairing makes no sense to me. But, again, this is the shit that happens when you plot EIGHT MONTHS out. No chance of deviation.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I'm hearing it wasn't Ron's decision to write him out. There was a lot of interfering with his writing during the time what's going on now was filmed that's supposed to change soon on screen. Maybe there's a small hope things will get better......

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

I'm hearing it wasn't Ron's decision to write him out. There was a lot of interfering with his writing during the time what's going on now was filmed that's supposed to change soon on screen. Maybe there's a small hope things will get better......

Oh nice. Now I have another reason to hate Ron.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Jaded said:

To add to this, allegedly the last several months on-screen were dictated by the higher ups. This week is supposed to mark the shift back to what Ron wanted to do. The way someone put it was that more John & Marlena means Ron has more control, as he likes them but the higher ups do not. At the same time, I'm continuing to read warnings about what's coming in a couple months and that it would all be on Ron. There have been warnings for a while now that whatever happens this fall could mean the end of Ron at Days, so I think I'm officially scared now. For the most part, I really did not enjoy the last several months but if this is potentially worse? 😬

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm really disappointed that BB is out - I like him a lot and where he has taken the character. He and CB have sold the Stabi pairing for me – it's been messy, soapy, lighthearted, fun and - gasp - entertaining. And I've enjoyed having CB front and center. I hope that doesn't mean she will go to the backburner.

That said, Stabi aside I've not really enjoyed the last several months either. But it couldn't get worse, right?!?

• Love 6

Sigh. I misread that it was Ron's decision. OK I'll take back a little of the hate I have for him but I'm just really pissed about this. And yeah I don't believe for a minute this would be happening if they actually filmed at a normal pace and Stabi's popularity was seen earlier on.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, mariah23 said:

Hey, the people at DR found out the person who tweeted about MA's contract status was lying to get a rise of out of Jack fans.  It's on DR's social media thread.

What was it Julia Roberts said in Pretty Woman "sometimes the bad stuff is easier to believe?"

Well that's where I am.  After 30 years of this ish, it's still easier for me to believe the lie than it was all a lie.

For what it's worth, I don't think the person who originally tweeted that was trying to stir up trouble.  They had someone tell them that Matt's contract hadn't been renewed.  That's when the "troll" comes in and starts tweeting that it's a fact and Matt's gone.  (I think it's the same tweeter who also started definitively posting that Jack was going to be Gabi's next love interest after Brandon/Stefan exits.)  But that tweeter likes to post as if they know something but there's been no indication that they actually do.  They just post decisively, and since it gets so hard to track "insiders" it might seem legit.

Others pointed out, though, that there was a recent fan event Matt was at and apparently he mentioned filming some big scenes the previous week.  So he's still there and taping. I believe the original source took that as evidence that they might have been misinformed.

Time will tell.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

It’s confirmed: Brandon Barash and Kassie DePaiva are out.

Aww, I like BB and his pairing with Gabi. BUT - nothing against KDP, but thank god that psuedo-Eve witch is gone. 

• Love 9
8 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Is this a recent thing and they'll both still be on for like 6 more months or did it happen awhile ago and we're just now hearing about it?

I think Brandon wrapped around April, and it was stated elsewhere that Kassie had been done for months. My best guess would put Stefan out around November sweeps, and Eve possibly done late this year/early next (she arrived around NYE, so it might stand to reason she'd go out around the same time). Heck, it might be even sooner because it took a while for people to realize she wasn't working there anymore. This is kind of informed speculation, they film way out of order and things don't always appear in the timeline you'd think.

Casey and Thia are more in that 6-month range you mentioned. They wrapped in June, before a 3-week production break, which would likely put JJ and Haley on screen through late January-mid February.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, BoldDays said:

I'm really disappointed that BB is out - I like him a lot and where he has taken the character. He and CB have sold the Stabi pairing for me – it's been messy, soapy, lighthearted, fun and - gasp - entertaining. And I've enjoyed having CB front and center. I hope that doesn't mean she will go to the backburner.

That said, Stabi aside I've not really enjoyed the last several months either. But it couldn't get worse, right?!?

I highly doubt CB is going to the backburner I'm trying to remember the last time she was. When she was paired with Eli?

• Love 2

So, according to a recent cast photo, yes, Eve and Stefan were gone, but Kristen (or at least Stacy H) were STILL in there as being on contract. Anyone know why???? I can't see them keeping Kristan around and Susan is an occasional guest, at best. And since both JJ and Haley are in that photo, I wonder when it was taken. If they just stopped filming in June, it might be just a little outdated.

Maybe Stefan leaves with Vivian and maybe it will be like it was with Leo - perhaps she lied about Stefan being Stefano's son, so there is no reason for him to be there? Those timelines seem to work since "Vivian" is supposed to be back in September.

Does anyone know who they will pair Gabi up with once Stefan leaves?

Edited by Retired at last
corrected spelling/typo
  • Love 2
On 8/22/2019 at 1:13 AM, BoldDays said:

Ron has admitted that Gabi is a favorite (well, he said that Gabi is his father's favorite, but come on, she's obviously his favorite, too) so she's not going anywhere.  She will always have a story.

38 minutes ago, Retired at last said:

So, according to a recent cast photo, yes, Eve and Stefan were gone, but Kristen (or at least Stacy H) were STILL in there as being on contract. Anyone know why???? I can't see them keeping Kristan around and Susan is an occasional guest, at best. And since both JJ and Haley are in that photo, I wonder when it was taken. If they just stopped filming in June, it might be just a little outdated.

Maybe Stefan leaves with Vivian and maybe it will be like it was with Leo - perhaps she lied about Stefan being Stefano's son, so there is no reason for him to be there? Those timelines seem to work since "Vivian" is supposed to be back in September.

Yeah, apparently Kristen is still around and I really don't know how that's going to work.

As for Gabi's next love interest, there are a bunch of rumors going around.  Some "insider" claims some people will be upset so that got a lot of names tossed around from Brady to Jack to Eli.  Now with word that Billy Flynn is on contract, there's some mild panic going around that they're going to throw Gabi and Chad back together.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I can totally see them keeping Kristen around.  My guess is that she is going to give them Holly and "possibly" Nicole in exchange for her freedom.  (just speculation)

I do think though that in order to keep her around they are going to have to give her something redeeming so as to keep her viable.  Whether she does something good for someone or connect her to an established "good" character for the time being. 

I could actually see Gabi with Brady for the foreseeable future. Or with Xander.

• Love 3

I wonder (just my speculation) if Kristen is going to challenge Chad for the soul of DiMera Enterprises (or whatever it is)? Since Chad is actually Stefano's son, right? Not sure how they will get Kate out, but we'll see. And, while they do love to redeem terrible characters, I won't buy a Kristen redemption ever. Yes, she used to not be so awful, but since the writers can only write for one dimensional characters, her one dimension is pure evil and hatred.

Xander and Gabi would be a very attractive couple, but he will be pining for the idiot Sarah, now that Eric will be looking for Nicole. Brady might be interesting, for a while. There is no way they would put her with Jack, once they got rid of Eve. Although, it seems that the writers kind of were forced to bring him back to appease fans, so maybe they will keep putting him with anyone other than Jennifer as a way to get back at those who wanted him. She's been with Eli and JJ, and if they want to put her back with the high school love that was made up, I don't have a problem with Gabi and Chad, especially since I loathe Abby (even more when she is played by Kate Mansi - entirely too smug and entitled).

Edited by Retired at last
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Retired at last said:

I don't think its Eli at least for anything serious I think they'll tease it like Rafe/Lani but inevitably nothing will happen. 

I do think they'll have her fixate on Chad again.

I'm just glad JJ is free from this mess granted I don't care for him/Haley either but honestly if he stuck around it would get worse for him story wise(although I'm not sure how that's possible but the show would find a way).

• Love 2

Brady is too old and dumb for Gabi.

Jack is too old for Gabi and I can’t imagine Jennifer squaring off against Gabi being less entertaining. I still see Jack and Jen as OTL / endgame and Jen is smug, righteous, and indignant as hell the banter would be flat AF.  Gabi needs a recast Brandon or Max Brady or Rory would actually be amusing and more aesthetically pleasing. 

I prefered TC as Stefan in some ways since he looked more like a DiMera and was more brooding and depressed he sold the weight of his family’s curse and dark spirit more whereas BB generates more heat and is more dynamic but is kinda a thug and rough around the edges dude. Plus his half bros Chad and EJ are more classically handsome and TC has finer bone structure and more refined body language. Both BB and TC sold their attraction and respect for Chloe well so where equally capable in that regard. 

Kristen should be gone by now. She’s TOO CAMPY and shrill and her motivations and behavior are dumb as AF.  Her plot and dialogue are worse than a Passions villain, no light insult. The fact she may stay for months is ludicrous if she’s still going to be fiending for Brady’s dack and shrieking idiotic shit while being casually violent I’m not going to be happy. It’s STALE. 

@WendyCR72 I totally agree w you about writing stories out a year ahead and shooting 6-8 months prior to air being a dangerous commitment since no chance of deviation and no possiblity to listen to fan feedback or adjust for ratings and surveys. I’ve always felt it didn’t matter what we said or did or if people tuned out since it’s been literally been set in stone for years. In reality we aren’t watching a show. It’s a movie written and taped almost a year ago that is released in 38 minute clips daily. And while we watch that set, the sequels are already done before we even process it. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

He looks a bit like Victor. Don't remember loving his acting, but it has been a while since I watched BB.

I think this could go well.

He was a recast Lucky on GH it didn't go over well with mot people.

However I did like him as JR on AMC even though Jesse McCartney will probably be my favorite I did like JY as the adult version of JR.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

He looks a bit like Victor. Don't remember loving his acting, but it has been a while since I watched BB.

I think this could go well.

I liked him on AMC.

• Love 4

I don’t think I’ll ever love any Philip that isn’t JKJ, but I liked JY on Bold for the most part. His pairing with LG was my favourite of his, so I could see a potential pairing with Sarah. Having said that, I did have to stop and think whether Philip and Sarah are related. They are not, right? Just step siblings via Maggie and Victor? 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, BoldDays said:

I don’t think I’ll ever love any Philip that isn’t JKJ, but I liked JY on Bold for the most part. His pairing with LG was my favourite of his, so I could see a potential pairing with Sarah. Having said that, I did have to stop and think whether Philip and Sarah are related. They are not, right? Just step siblings via Maggie and Victor? 

Correct there is no blood relation between them. I'm sure Kate would love to have Sarah as a potential DIL again😃 I forgot that they could be paired again on Days. He may not be part of the Chad/Abby/Gabi triangle and honestly it would be preferable for me.

• Love 3
On 8/23/2019 at 9:03 PM, CanaryFan98 said:

I do think they'll have her fixate on Chad again

God, they have no imagination, do they. That would be the third, maybe fourth time. Stop trying to make them happen, show. 

Re the new Philip -- my guess is he wasn't accepted as Lucky because there is no Lucky other than Jonathan Jackson? 

Edited by Lastwaltz
Another thought and not worth a new post, lol.
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, Lastwaltz said:

Re the new Philip -- my guess is he wasn't accepted as Lucky because there is no Lucky other than Jonathan Jackson? 

For many fans, maybe.  I'd put myself in that group.  But even though, personally, Lucky is just one of those few soap characters for whom a recast just doesn't work, I can admit that Greg Vaughn's version of Lucky was popular--to the point that when GH decided to let him go to bring back JJ after Greg had played him for six years, it was seen as somewhat controversial.  (Not to me but again, it was just one of those roles.)

Comparatively, I think JY was just bad.  He assumed the role probably too close to when JJ left.  JY was also a more standard soap hunk compared to JJ's Lucky and so the role lost a lot of what I found special about the character.  I keep forgetting he played the part even though he was on the show for three years. 

GV didn't have the same pressures or comparisons.  He was a more adult Lucky.  IMO, he was still pretty standard issue soap hunk but he at least seemed more inherently likable than JY (who I do think got better as he got older as an actor.) 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I can admit that Greg Vaughn's version of Lucky was popular--to the point that when GH decided to let him go to bring back JJ after Greg had played him for six years, it was seen as somewhat controversial. 

Interesting! To me, JJ owns that character in the same way I think Eve Donovan is only Charlotte Ross. I can be stubborn about these things :)

• Love 2
On 8/23/2019 at 11:14 PM, Silver Raven said:

Rumors that Jacob Young is joining the cast as Philip.

Well, he did play a similar role as Adam Chandler's son, JR (a.k.a. Adam, Jr.) on All My Children as well as another such type of role on The Bold and the Beautiful. (He did suck as Lucky Spencer on GH.) But playing the wealthy son of big-name characters seems JY's niche.

A long way of saying, I think this could actually work.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Lastwaltz said:

Interesting! To me, JJ owns that character in the same way I think Eve Donovan is only Charlotte Ross. I can be stubborn about these things :)

I prefer him as Lucky even though I grew to hate the character over the years his chem with GF and yeah even TG can't be duplicated. I think GV was accepted as Lucky because he came after the other recast and well Lucky seemed like an adult.

7 hours ago, Lastwaltz said:

God, they have no imagination, do they. That would be the third, maybe fourth time. Stop trying to make them happen, show. 

Not in the least which is why I'm relieved Casey/JJ is getting out of dodge granted it probably wasn't his choice to leave but I think he's better off. It would only get worse for him writing wise. 

I mean I didn't have a huge investment in Gabi/Stefan but at least it was preferable to this because it was something a bit different.

• Love 3
On 8/24/2019 at 4:50 AM, BoldDays said:

Not a slight on your opinion, @BoldDays, so please don't take this as such. But just because characters mesh on one show, they can suck on another. I have seen it with Stephen Nichols/Mary Beth Evans on GH, and Lane Davies/Nancy Lee Grahn's second go-round, also on GH. (I liked the latter, but admit the majority did not. But for both these pairings, the writing didn't help. And I could see that hindering any reteaming with LG/JY, too.)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Not a slight on your opinion, @BoldDays, so please don't take this as such. But just because characters mesh on one show, they can suck on another. I have seen it with Stephen Nichols/Mary Beth Evans on GH, and Lane Davies/Nancy Lee Grahn's second go-round, also on GH. (I liked the latter, but admit the majority did not. But for both these pairings, the writing didn't help. And I could see that hindering any reteaming with LG/JY, too.)

No slight taken @WendyCR72 😁

I’m not a GH watcher so wasn’t aware of that, and am very interested and somewhat surprised to know those re-couplings were not good. I loved both those pairings in their original shows - both had chemistry in spades - (in fact you’ve made me want to search up old SB Mason/Julia clips!) so I assumed they would have had a good chance of being successful. That definitely curbs my enthusiasm a little. 

That said - given the tension between Victor/ Sarah/ Kate/ Maggie, I feel like throwing Philip into the mix has the potential to be interesting, and relatively organic in terms of them interacting. I totally agree with your comments up thread that JY plays the wealthy son of big-name characters well, so fingers crossed this is a decent recast - if the rumours are true.

It can’t hurt to be optimistic, right?!? 😂😳 (I really shouldn’t have said that!)

Edited by BoldDays
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, BoldDays said:

(in fact you’ve made me want to search up old SB Mason/Julia clips!)

Now you're talking!  🙂 I LOVED them. They were one of my favorite soap couples ever. And while the first iteration was always the best, NLG managed to have chemistry with Terry Lester and Gordon Thomson - the two Mason recasts - IMO, too.

Their characters on GH were Dr. Cameron Lewis, shrink and long-lost father of popular character Zander Smith, a gray character that had a popular romance with Emily Quartermaine, and Alexis Davis, also a lawyer like Julia was, but much more screwed up, given her family tree. Since you liked Mason/Julia, here is a GH scene with them.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, DisneyBoy said:

Huh. So according to Daytimeconfidential insider lysie, Philip "is not" back.

Oookay.

Well, it was only spec to begin with. IF Jacob Young is joining the show, he could be anyone else, old or new.

• Love 1