Type keyword(s) to search

Salem International: Casting Notes: Arrivals & Departures

• Start Topic

I'm betting some people won't come back. It's pretty much a given that they're going to try to lowball at least some of them with the new contracts. Deidre and Drake no, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the vets just say "it's not worth our time anymore" and call it a day...or even some of the younger cast members just decide it's a better career strategy to jump ship now and take some chances to see what else they can find.

Total Speculation On Who Wouldn't Return:

-Xander. The character is riding high right now and I think the producers know that and might offer him a decent contract, but Paul probably recognizes that if he's going to make any big career moves, now's the time to do it.

-Kayla and Steve. I'm guessing he's only agreed to come back because he didn't like how things ended before and he didn't like leaving his co-star in the lurch. I think they've both just been kind of burned by the show for the last few years, and if they can get away with leaving on a happy note would probably take the opportunity rather than accept another pay cut. That said, Mary Beth has been very loyal to the show. But she's a good actress and I could see her getting a couple of walk-on gigs and not having to go into total retirement at this point.

-Eli. He's a good actor and a good-looking guy and I could also see him landing other jobs and wanting that opportunity.

-Ciara. I could definitely see this actress wanting other opportunities. I don't think she's an amazing actress, but I could see her doing TV movies or having a supporting role in some CW show or something.

-Victor. But John, like Joe, may be determined to stick it out no matter what. I would certainly like to think the producers would have a sense of loyalty to him and do whatever is necessary to keep him on board. He is a fave.

... I feel like Chad and Abigail will probably stay on the show for keeps. Doug and Julie wouldn't walk away, neither would Abe, Kate, Maggie or Roman. Jack and Jennifer are still popular so I suspect they would stay. And others like Lani and Ben are just grateful for the work and would return as well.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

Yikes!

Even if it has no impact on renewal I would think all those actors being without a contract could be a real mess and lead to a lot of big shakeups.

Oh, it's definitely a risk for some (the younger cast especially), but this break has been in the works for a while. They want to close the tape-to-air gap and will be on hiatus for longer than a typical actor's contract cycle. I've been basing all of my info off of what Jason47 reports, and I see he's posted this to soothe some fears:

EJMFV4oXUAEcjEe.jpg

It even says in the TV Line report that NBC wants to keep the show, so this is likely just another cost-saving move in the long run. Plus it gives actors flexibility to work in the interim (pilot season starts in January, for instance). I still think they'll have agreements in place heading into the production break, just that they'll agree to sign a new deal under whatever terms starting April-ish 2020.

• Love 8

The way this news came out does sound really ominous - and it still could be - but I'm glad to hear some kind of reasonable explanation for it. And if they really are trying to shorten the tape to air delay then I'm all for the decision because it is insane for them to tape so far out ahead without giving them room to really make changes with storylines that aren't working.

• Love 7

That still does not explain today's actions. (In the BTS thread.) I recall Susan Lucci went to the higher ups at ABC as she heard rumblings about AMC being cancelled. They assured Lucci that the show was fine, nothing was happening in terms of being yanked.

Guess what? (And La Lucci was furious.)

I could see maybe freezing actors' salaries for a bit, but not what happened.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

That still does not explain today's actions. (In the BTS thread.)

What do you mean? Just them letting the actors out of contract? I could easily see that not meaning much based on what @QueenSerena said.

I mean, they could definitely end up cancelling the show after this hiatus but I could just as easily see them renewing it again. Or perhaps they'll cancel but then after the hiatus they'll give them time to film the last couple months.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, WendyCR72 said:

The Behind The Scenes (Like Sand...) thread.  The info is there.

Yea, I realized what you meant! But all I see there is just about them letting the actors off their contracts and I feel like that was made out to be bigger than it is tbh.

It's funny and interesting though that some outlets are acting like they have confirmation that the show is done for good while others are like 'lol it's nothing.'

• Love 2
1 minute ago, peachmangosteen said:

It's funny and interesting though that some outlets are acting like they have confirmation that the show is done for good while others are like 'lol it's nothing.'

Well, like I said, I will trust nothing unless/until taping resumes. As I posted, Susan Lucci was also told AMC was not on the chopping block, even getting promises. And, well...

So I am in wait and see mode.

• Love 2

I don't think its a good sign because I've never seen this before but the cynic in me thinks that Days purposely released it so people would watch the TJ the problem is nobody is going to tune into a daytime soap like they used to those days are gone.

As for the other actors I think Jack/Jennifer, Doug/Julie, Hope will stick it out but the younger cast I could see trying to go elsewhere if they can find work.

Wally will at least have GH to return to especially since they recast Brook Lynn with Amanda Setton.

• Love 2

Yeah, Noelle Curtis is Neil Curtis' daughter by Liz Chandler [Gloria Loring's character]. So Sarah, as Neil is her bio-dad via the sperm donation, is her half sister. I do agree the actress resembles Linsey Godfrey, but since someone says she is British, I'm not sure she would be playing Noelle. Is this a contract role?

On 11/15/2019 at 4:01 AM, CanaryFan98 said:

Chelsea Brady . 

Lets not forget that Chelsea has been living in London for the past 10 years . 

On 11/15/2019 at 4:01 AM, CanaryFan98 said:

Or she coUlD Be Drew Donovan's daughter. 

• Love 2

Dream casting 

-I Would love to see Josh Duhon cast as Jeremy Horton . 

- Adam Gregory cast as Andrew Donovan 

- Jon Prescott cast as Alexander Kiriakis 

- Andriana Manfredi Cast as Joy Wesley . Yeah. She previously  played JJ's buddy Roxane. 

- Jeff Branson as Nicholas Alamain 

- Melissa Archer as Sarah Horton 

- Sean Douglas cast as Tanner Scofield 

Tanner is the son of Vern Scofield ,who is married to Jo Johnson . This means Tanner is Steve and Jack's step brother. Yeah ,Sean previOusly played Vargas . 

If Kim Matula 's primetime adventure dos not pan out ,the show can try to bring her on board and cast her as Abby or they could recast her as Mia McCormick ,Chad's first baby mama. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Who's Greta? Gina's daughter?

Greta is Gina's daughter. She was a big character on the show in the late 90's early 00's. 

She was best friends with Jack, she was involved with Eric, he cheated on her with Nicole. She also had very close sweet mother/daughter and father/ daughter relationships with both Hope and John.

She was briefly involved with Austin before she left Salem.

Ironically, she was the one who was first switched with Hope in 1990, well before her mother.  When Stefano faked Hope's death he switched her with Greta so she was the one who fell in the acid and was burned and disfigured.

I'll totally take Emily O'Brien as Greta. 

Edited by JBC344
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Oh, God. This would mean more Gina. UGH.

Spoiler

I'm starting to think the rumor of Hope being PG for good may be true.... so far that guy has predicted a lot of the stuff happening: Justin/Kayla, Adrienne dies, etc

7 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:
  Hide contents

I'm starting to think the rumor of Hope being PG for good may be true.... so far that guy has predicted a lot of the stuff happening: Justin/Kayla, Adrienne dies, etc

UGH. Fuck THAT shit. Sorry, but that's GROSS.

At least Rope keeps Hope and Rafe contained and makes fast forwarding them easier.  Emily O'Brien as Greta wouldn't suck.  I remember her pretty fondly and she's one of the very few genuinely nice people who have ever featured on this show.  I hold a deep grudge against Jensen's Eric for cheating on her.  Not because they were a good couple, because it was shitty and I thought Eric above that.

• Love 1

I also liked Greta course people talked about how boring it was her being nice etc. However its nice to have a different variety of characters on this show(soaps used to have that) I think she could've had a place on this show maybe not with Eric but with someone else at some point.

Her and Austin were sweet as well.

• Love 1

Do we know when her scenes start airing? Maybe she pops up in February to end the storyline? *Wishful thinking*

I'd hate to think we'll be stuck with Gina as long as we were stuck with Fake Nicole and Gabby...

Ron's really comfy stretching out his worst ideas, ain't he?

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Do we know when her scenes start airing? Maybe she pops up in February to end the storyline? *Wishful thinking*

I'd hate to think we'll be stuck with Gina as long as we were stuck with Fake Nicole and Gabby...

Ron's really comfy stretching out his worst ideas, ain't he?

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm pretty sure PG is on screen beyond February. I don't know when Emily O'Brien will debut, but Thaao posted a picture with Kristian (dressed very much like PG) in the makeup room back in July, which lines up with March. If I had to guess, PG is probably on screen until May. That seems to be when the time jump stuff will be complete, in terms of no more flashbacks to fill in the missing year. So I'd guess that's when the big stuff (Rolf's plan via Stefano, PG's involvement, etc.) is resolved.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Unfortunately, they are going to be on the web series, not coming back to Salem.  I always loved the fact that Nancy was not the typical thin soap heroine and they never went down the self-loathing, hate my body road - she knew she was gorgeous and owned it.  I also liked that there was never even a hint that Craig was ever attracted to anyone else.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, DaphneCat said:

Unfortunately, they are going to be on the web series, not coming back to Salem.  I always loved the fact that Nancy was not the typical thin soap heroine and they never went down the self-loathing, hate my body road - she knew she was gorgeous and owned it.  I also liked that there was never even a hint that Craig was ever attracted to anyone else.

Agree!!!!  They were always a great power couple. 

This is just one step closer to getting them back on Days!!!!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Nancy was on the show a couple years ago I don't see why they wouldn't pop back up again same with Craig. I loved them an underrated couple on Days.

I was always surprised that they didn't utilize them more especially when Chloe was on the canvas. I mean Nancy popped in sporadically but Craig hasnt been on in years. I also think they missed an opportunity by not bringing on an adult Joy for JJ. 

• Love 6
On 11/28/2019 at 8:10 PM, JBC344 said:

I was always surprised that they didn't utilize them more especially when Chloe was on the canvas. I mean Nancy popped in sporadically but Craig hasnt been on in years.

I'm guessing some of that may have to do with the two of them not exactly being friendly IRL. I've heard Kevin Spirtas is not the most pleasant person to be around.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Jaded said:

I'm guessing some of that may have to do with the two of them not exactly being friendly IRL. I've heard Kevin Spirtas is not the most pleasant person to be around.

Really?  I've seen just the opposite. Nadia and Kevin sing together, and he refers to her as his daughter. I've also heard him recently speak highly of Patrika and that their very friendly.  

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Jaded said:

I saw him performing in Kiss Me, Kate in Sacramento several years ago, and had a chance to talk to him after the show, and he was very friendly.

• Love 4

On today’s HOME & FAMILY, where she promoted her new Hallmark film, TIME FOR YOU TO COME HOME FOR CHRISTMAS, airing December 8, Alison Sweeney announced that she recently filmed episodes as DAYS’s Sami. “Sami is back, causing some trouble,” she reveals. “I had a great time being there.” It will be awhile before the actress appears on air, however. “My scenes are not going to air until next Summer, next August,” she added. But with the drama of the time jump, there’s a lot to keep fans tuned in, she teased. “You’ve got some great stuff coming your way,” Sweeney promised.

Edited by QueenSerena
  • Love 3