Type keyword(s) to search

GH In The News: The PC Press Club

• Start Topic

On 7/7/2023 at 9:57 PM, Sake614 said:

"...and save a show that used to be great.”

I know we all might have different answers to this, but when I think about the last time it was "great," as opposed to "watchable" or "less bad than at some other points," I get depressed. 1998, very early '99? (Before Lucky "died," before Tyler Christopher peaced out the first time, and before Hannah, Chloe, and Juan debuted in rapid succession with the impact of three very damp firecrackers.) 

• Like 5
22 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

I know we all might have different answers to this, but when I think about the last time it was "great," as opposed to "watchable" or "less bad than at some other points," I get depressed. 1998, very early '99? (Before Lucky "died," before Tyler Christopher peaced out the first time, and before Hannah, Chloe, and Juan debuted in rapid succession with the impact of three very damp firecrackers.) 

I couldn't say if 1999 was as good as the show ever was, but at least the last time it had a certain level of quality that it hasn't regained since.  

Looking back at clips, the drop off between 1999 and 2000 is huge.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

SOD interview with Lisa Locicero on Olivia and Ned

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/quick-take-with-lisa-locicero-1727007/

Olivia and Ned are facing quite a challenge, which is that he thinks he’s Eddie Maine. Are you enjoying the storyline? “Oh, definitely. They had to find a wrinkle for them! They’re happily married, and you have to find some way to put some conflict in the relationship if you don’t want to break the relationship up, and this is a pretty interesting one!

I stopped reading past this sentence. Are Olivia and Ned happy? Pretty sure she chose her BFF Carly and accused him of doing things before she made a 180.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, jennifer6973 said:
1 hour ago, jacourt said:

You would think that with the cancelling of so many soaps there would be a glut of writers. Where are are all the good ones?  

Possibly gone on to better shows and or movies.

Or out of the game altogether because of the money, schedule, lack of creativity, etc. If your ideas kept getting shut down, that's not going to make you want to stay.

57 minutes ago, YaddaYadda said:

I stopped reading past this sentence. Are Olivia and Ned happy? Pretty sure she chose her BFF Carly and accused him of doing things before she made a 180.

LiLoC also thinks Olivia might not be 100 percent behind Ned not being the SEC whistleblower, but Olivia is going to support him 100 percent. Uh, no.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, JNavarro said:

Looking back at clips, the drop off between 1999 and 2000 is huge.  

Yes, it really was. It wasn't just Carly and Sonny getting together late in 1999 (the pairing had been teased as far back as summer, when she was the only one who could talk to him during a penthouse-trashing pre-bipolar-diagnosis episode), but that didn't help. They really started dominating the show in 2000.

It goes without saying that 2000 looks much better when placed next to 2022-23. 

5 hours ago, jacourt said:

You would think that with the cancelling of so many soaps there would be a glut of writers. Where are are all the good ones?  

4 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

Possibly gone on to better shows and or movies.

3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Or out of the game altogether because of the money, schedule, lack of creativity, etc. If your ideas kept getting shut down, that's not going to make you want to stay.

I'll be the one to add the darkest possibility: "Or dead." We don't hear as much about writers passing as we do with veteran actors, but we're all on the same timetable. The last time there were as many as ten daytime dramas airing was 20 years ago exactly. 

• Like 3

The reduced number of shows also means less development of new talent. And with reduced pay and no residuals from soaps there is less incentive for young writers to pursue soaps.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
13 minutes ago, TwoBitUsherette said:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think GH will be able to avoid a shutdown now.

SAG-AFTRA’s Negotiating Committee Unanimously Recommends Strike as Contract Deadline Passes Without a Deal

Soaps Actors To Work If There Is A SAG-AFTRA Strike; Scripts Written – Deadline

However, SAG-AFTRA’s film and TV contract, which expires June 30, does not apply to SAG-AFTRA members working on soaps. It means those cast members will have to continue to work even if their guild goes on strike after the membership voted overwhelmingly for strike authorization ahead of SAG-AFTRA’s current negotiations with the the studios’ collective bargaining representative the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers. And, with the four daytime dramas — The Young and the Restless (CBS), The Bold and the Beautiful (CBS), Days Of Our Lives (Peacock) and General Hospital (ABC) — continuing to churn out scripts amid the WGA strike using fi-core and other non-member writers, those shows appear positioned to continue production without interruption for the foreseeable future.

• Useful 4
(edited)

I think guardianships have their place—my 19-year-old niece with Down syndrome is in one because she is unable to take care of herself and won't be able to for the rest of her life—but it seems to be all or nothing. I don't understand why judges don't set more (if any) checks and balances on the guardian, especially when there's a decent amount of money involved, as was the case with TC and Britney Spears. It shouldn't be a blank check for whatever the guardian wants. The guardian should have to check in with the court regularly to ensure there is no abuse, financial, physical, mental, or otherwise. 

Edited by dubbel zout
clarity
  • Like 5
  • Love 7

So many things can go wrong with a guardianship. A psychologist was telling me about a patient of hers who had dementia and was put under a state guardianship.  The woman had no money to live on but owned some valuable paintings and someone helping her wanted to sell the paintings so she didn't have to scrimp on food etc. but the guardian refused because "it is a bad time to sell art." The friend and psychologist ended up taking it to court.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 7/3/2023 at 9:25 AM, standbyme said:

I think we all saw his star potential from Day 1 and expected this, but I'm really pleased for him. How amazing that he was about to quit acting altogether when he got cast on GH. Mark Teschner has an eye for young talent. 

I am really excited for him. And it's Ryan Murphy! If he manages to get Ryan Murphy to like him, it's very likely he'll get used in other projects. Nicholas Betchel also showed up in a Ryan Murphy show which is why I wasn't too worried about the guy- he'll be fine.

You just don't see this happen much anymore due to the death of soaps, but at one time, they really were a stepping stone for a lot of very talented actors who went on to have great movie/primetime careers, like Julianne Moore. And a lot of the time, these were obscure people who didn't have any showbiz connections. It allowed them to break into the entertainment industry.

NAC might be the last of that breed.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

You just don't see this happen much anymore due to the death of soaps, but at one time, they really were a stepping stone for a lot of very talented actors who went on to have great movie/primetime careers, like Julianne Moore.

And Meg Ryan [from the same soap, ironically, as Julianne Moore - As The World Turns].

Marissa Tomei. [See Julianne Moore and Meg Ryan!]

Robin Wright from Santa Barbara. (Who was the first actress to play the sister-in-law to NLG's Julia.)

It used to be you'd see a fair amount of former soap actors break through. But with the splintering of TV/movies with streaming and such, not to mention the soap ocean now a mere puddle, it is a lot less common.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

You just don't see this happen much anymore due to the death of soaps, but at one time, they really were a stepping stone for a lot of very talented actors who went on to have great movie/primetime careers, like Julianne Moore. And a lot of the time, these were obscure people who didn't have any showbiz connections. It allowed them to break into the entertainment industry.

4 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

And Meg Ryan [from the same soap, ironically, as Julianne Moore - As The World Turns].

Marissa Tomei. [See Julianne Moore and Meg Ryan!]

Robin Wright from Santa Barbara. (Who was the first actress to play the sister-in-law to NLG's Julia.)

It used to be you'd see a fair amount of former soap actors break through. But with the splintering of TV/movies with streaming and such, not to mention the soap ocean now a mere puddle, it is a lot less common.

Mary Page Keller, Ian Griffith, Sean Kanan (even tough he’s returned to soaps), Demi Moore from THIS soap.

Tommy Lee Jones - One Life to Live. Ray Liotta - Another World?

I'm excited for NAC, too. He was a real find. I'll miss him if he leaves, but, really, good for him for having the shot.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, Fellaway said:

I'm excited for NAC, too. He was a real find. I'll miss him if he leaves, but, really, good for him for having the shot.

And we can say we knew him when!  I always enjoy seeing soap stars make it big.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/16/2023 at 1:16 PM, methodwriter85 said:

. . . soaps . . .  at one time, they really were a stepping stone for a lot of very talented actors who went on to have great movie/primetime careers . . . 

I can't let this thread go without mentioning Mark Hamill, who  played Kent Murray, nephew of Nurse Jessie Brewer.

A return of that legacy character could make things interesting. (or more interesting to me than RoHo's character threatening Ava)

Edited by rur
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

And we can say we knew him when!  I always enjoy seeing soap stars make it big.

Most recent American one I can think of is Laura Harrier, who was Destiny on the short-lived reboot of One Life to Live and was in Spiderman: Homecoming and Black Klansmen as well as the tv series Hollywood. 

Olivia Rose Keegan who was on Days of Our Lives is someone I think has a REALLY good shot at hitting a starmaking role, I think. She's showing up in a lot of streaming stuff in smaller parts which bodes well for her.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 1
31 minutes ago, tessaray said:

No one mentioned Amanda Seyfried and Michael B. Jordan, AMC alums? MBJ was even the adopted son of Jackson Montgomery. 

And I believe Michael B. Jordan was the second actor to play Reggie. The first?

Chadwick Boseman.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 2
19 minutes ago, DanaK said:

Chadwick lasted a week I think because he thought the storyline was demeaning and stereotypical

SOD interview with Wally Kurth on Ned's identity crisis

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/ghs-wally-kurth-weighs-in-on-neds-identity-crisis/

Oh GOOD GRIEF!

Soap Opera Digest: I think it’s fair to say that Ned tripping at the Metro Court Pool, sustaining a head injury and waking up thinking that he was Eddie Maine was not on many fans’ bingo cards!

Kurth: No, I don’t think anyone saw that coming! And that’s good.

REALLY? No one saw it coming?! Only everyone HERE!🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
52 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh GOOD GRIEF!

REALLY? No one saw it coming?! Only everyone HERE!🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

I was just joking when I said it! I did not expect it to come true lol

• LOL 2
Just now, DanaK said:

I was just joking when I said it! I did not expect it to come true lol

Right, but we all agreed with you and it’s such lazy writing and typical of Frank. As if any of them could come up with a creative and new thought! Look at all the rip-offs from Robin and Stone’s and Robin and Jason’s stories he’s used stolen for the mini-SHEBEAST and Spencer and Esmé.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
46 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

This has probably already been answered but are scab writers blacklisted once the strike is over because they crossed the picket line?  How come they get to work?  Are they just not union members?

From what I've read, first of all some of them are Fi Core writers, so they are permitted to write under union rules, but they don't get union benefits.  As for the actual scabs, I read some very interesting things as pertains to the soaps.  That basically these are older writers who lost their jobs years ago when the other soaps were all cancelled, they are likely not even still in the union because no one has hired them since.  Basically, they have nothing to lose. 

Edited by CeChase
  • Like 2
  • Useful 7
16 hours ago, CeChase said:

That basically these are older writers who lost their jobs years ago when the other soaps were all cancelled, they are likely not even still in the union because no one has hired them since.

I looked it up, and in 2008, Garin Wolf took over as head writer of GH during the strike. He was an active soap writer at the time, but it looks like he hasn't worked since leaving GH in 2012. Not sure if he voluntarily retired, or if working through the strike was a career ending move. 

• Useful 1

Re: the Financial core writers scabbing, everyone please pray, light candles, perform any and all religious rituals to keep actual psycho Dena Higley away from this show. She scabbed last time. Will never forgive what she did to OLTL.

Edited by Grinaldi
fixed spelling of that woman's name
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Grinaldi said:

Re: the Financial core writers scabbing, everyone please pray, light candles, perform any and all religious rituals to keep actual psycho Dina Higley away from this show. She scabbed last time. Will never forgive what she did to OLTL.

Frank was not a fan of Dena, so one can only hope. I think the only person that would still hire her now is Ken Corday, who brought her back a dozen times (and is having real problems over at DAYS).

• Like 2