Type keyword(s) to search

The Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It’s possible they think the audience knows even less, not much, and would think that all sounded “authentic “ 🤮

I’d say shame on them, but they do this show—what shame would they feel capable of feeling? Katie Lee has reinvented herself as a food celebrity, so coupled with working the angles for the camera, it’s a wonder there aren’t more accidents.

• Love 1
On 12/10/2018 at 5:20 PM, bichonblitz said:

Katie is a dead ringer for younger Ali, though. Anybody else see it? 

I do, but also for Cecily Strong on SNL. I keep wishing Cecily would do a Katie impersonation on SNL, it would be hilarious.  A whole Kitchen skit would be funny, to me anyway.   Also, I can only watch Katie in small doses. She seems like a lovely person, and I like her "my grandma taught me" homespun southern thing, but her VOICE.  OMG. I cannot listen to her for very long.  

• Love 3

This show continues to be the #1 rated show on FN and, understandably, I think part of that is because folks have it on while doing laundry and other chores on Saturday morning. I actually watched it today. Couldn’t believe it warranted 2 hours, but whatever. That being said, I would eat the crap out of GZ’s braised pork butt, if you know what I mean. Ha! That looked amazing. I was also surprised that he prepares fried eggs in the oven! I never thought of that. I like to fix them on the stovetop cause I can baste with butter to make sure the tops of the whites are done. But I’ll try the oven method. 

I enjoy Alex G as a guest and wish she still had her own show. She has good ideas and is personable. I don’t like putting bacon pieces in a pasta dish, but I do like the idea of drizzling in a bit of bacon drippings with some lemon juice. There is just something off-putting to me about bacon bits sitting in a creamy sauce but I do like the flavor of a carbonara.

Surprisingly, Jeff did not bug the shit out of me today. He was almost amusing! What has happened to me? He was funny saying that he’d sit in his basement eating a bucket of mac and cheese. Yeah, me too, if I had a basement!

I wish I had Katie’s metabolism. She likes to eat and never gains an ounce. Of course she isn’t my age. When I was young, I was cute and skinny, too! And I love her ring. It may be my dream ring. 

Sunny still bugs but nothing I can do about that. She wasn’t quite so loud this time and I liked her wig. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I was surprised when I saw today's show was two hours.  I thought for sure my DVR accidentally picked up a rerun that would air right after.  Nope, it was intentional.

I have to give props to the first Pillsbury woman who showed her recipe today.  3 of the 4 we've seen so far have been charisma voids. They're not TV professionals so it's understandable, but the dead air has been pretty glaring.  The first woman today made sure to describe what she was doing, even if it was obvious, and worked quickly. She also just cut a piece for Jeff to try instead of making us watch her cut the whole thing like pizza lady did.  I don't know if it was the best recipe but it was the best presentation.

18 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

She likes to eat and never gains an ounce.

She probably doesn't show you the inspiring healthy stuff she eats in between her "good" meals. 

• Love 1

The Kitchen isn't FN's top rated show. It usually comes in 3rd or 4th.

FOOD NETWORK RATINGS FOR ORIGINAL PROGRAMS (February 4-10, 2019)
Source: Showbuzzdaily

(Rank/Show/Timeslot/# of Viewers/Demo 18-49 in parenthesis)

1--WORST COOKS IN AMERICA---Sunday 9:00PM---1,544,000 (0.45) 
2--KIDS BAKING CHAMPIONSHIP---Monday 9:00PM---1,506,000 (0.40) 
3--THE KITCHEN (Season Premiere)---Saturday 11:00AM---1,407,000 (0.27) 

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The Kitchen isn't FN's top rated show. It usually comes in 3rd or 4th.

FOOD NETWORK RATINGS FOR ORIGINAL PROGRAMS (February 4-10, 2019)
Source: Showbuzzdaily

(Rank/Show/Timeslot/# of Viewers/Demo 18-49 in parenthesis)

1--WORST COOKS IN AMERICA---Sunday 9:00PM---1,544,000 (0.45) 
2--KIDS BAKING CHAMPIONSHIP---Monday 9:00PM---1,506,000 (0.40) 
3--THE KITCHEN (Season Premiere)---Saturday 11:00AM---1,407,000 (0.27) 

It was top rated for Jan 28 thru Feb 3 and is usually near the top. Suffice it to say, it’s always one of the top performing shows.

I got your point, @Spunkygal.  It doesn't have to be at absolutely #1 on a consistent basis to be a valuable ratings asset.  Which it obviously is.  And I agree that a lot of that has to do with the time slot.  If you don't want to be sitting in front of the TV on a late Saturday morning, and you're too old for cartoons in the background, it's an easy show to tune into.  You never know when a particular recipe might grab your attention.

I've been watching this two-hour installment in shifts of about twenty minutes each.  I like to see Alex Guarnaschelli when I get the chance.  (We knew both her parents--I worked with her mother, who was also my husband's editor on one book, so her face brings back memories for me.)  I haven't seen her pasta dish yet, so I have to do another shift at some point. 

• Love 1
On 2/16/2019 at 1:36 PM, Spunkygal said:

Surprisingly, Jeff did not bug the shit out of me today. He was almost amusing! What has happened to me? He was funny saying that he’d sit in his basement eating a bucket of mac and cheese. Yeah, me too, if I had a basement!

I didn't catch what the deal was with the macaroni and cheese--like it's shelf stable for decades or something.

But I howled when Katie told her story about Katie and the guest chef and her (10-year-old-ish) daughter being at "Bobby's house" one time, and Katie was in the pool and asked the daughter to get her an ice cube for her champagne, and the daughter chastised her for putting ice in champagne, and the guest chef said, "She's such a snob."

Then Sunny was making fun of Katie having a story about drinking champagne in Bobby Flay's pool, and Jeff noted that this was in contrast to his discussing the hoard of macaroni and cheese in his basement.

And when the younger Pillsbury person said she would use the prize money toward her dream of getting a food truck, Zakarian said something like "Good for you," which sounded completely heart-felt. 

I'm really enjoying these people, perhaps because they seem to be enjoying themselves.  Two hours is a bit much, but two hours of what they were like a couple of years ago would be unendurable.

Mr. Outlier wonders if Zakarian, in particular, was supposed to be playing a role, like the upper crust iron chef, and they've backed off on that and let him be who he is.  Works for me.

• Love 4

My husband isn't a fan but I've always liked the show, wacky antics and all.  It looks like Katie Lee is pregnant; has she announced it?  I also noticed no GZ drinks recipe although I could have missed it or it was dropped a while ago.

Edited by albarino
6 minutes ago, albarino said:

My husband isn't a fan but I've always look the show, wacky antics and all.  It looks like Katie Lee is pregnant; has she announced it?  I also noticed no GZ drinks recipe although I could have missed it or it was dropped a while ago.

I was just coming on here to say that! It does look like she is pregnant. No announcement, though.

This is her most recent Instagram pic from a few days ago.  It doesn't look like she's pregnant there. Although maybe the one piece can hid it?

So it looks like the two hours is a thing for the foreseeable future.  Not sure how I feel about that. I end up fast forwarding quite a bit if they're doing a recipe that doesn't interest me.  I used to like to watch their banter but I don't have time for all of that.

I did like the moment in this episode when Katie was making her meatballs and she said that she had some frozen meatballs in the oven. GZ said "oh you froze them?" not realizing that you can purchase frozen meatballs.

• Love 2

I might have to stop recording this show if it's going to be two hours every week now.  I can't spare that investment of time, sorry.  I don't know why every show I watch has to go over to 2 hours now, but I don't have the time to watch twice as much TV now and I'm not about to get rid of other shows to make room for it.  Even with DVR-ing and fast forwarding it's still too much time to spend, not to mention more space taken up on the DVR.

BTW, I didn't love Sunny's wig.  It especially didn't go with that outfit.  She didn't look great in that chunky sweater either.  About Katie - I think it might have just been a loose fitting outfit, not her being pregnant.

9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Even with DVR-ing and fast forwarding it's still too much time to spend, not to mention more space taken up on the DVR.

I'm not thrilled about the two hours, either.  I like these people, but come on.

I DVR it and watch it on 1.3 speed.  Of course I fast-forward through the commercials, and I've learned to start the FFing as soon as they start tasting what somebody made, because all they're going to do is say it's good and recite the ingredients.  "This is delicious.  The chicken is perfectly cooked, and the capers add just the right amount of saltiness, and the lemon juice gives a little bit of brightness." 

I can knock out a show pretty quick.  Although if the goal is to knock it out pretty quick, I have to wonder why I'm watching at all.

About Katie - I think it might have just been a loose fitting outfit, not her being pregnant.

I watched it after reading the comment about her being pregnant, and I think it was her shirt.  It was definitely loose, and the pattern might have made it look like a bulge in the middle.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I can knock out a show pretty quick.  Although if the goal is to knock it out pretty quick, I have to wonder why I'm watching at all.

Me too, and I already have been fast forwarding though some of the segments I'm not interested in on this show like the lame crafts stuff, although they seem to have slacked off on that, thankfully.  It's just that when you end up fast forwarding through half the show plus the commercials it becomes tedious and not enjoyable at all.

21 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

"This is delicious.  The chicken is perfectly cooked, and the capers add just the right amount of saltiness, and the lemon juice gives a little bit of brightness." 

Makes me crazy when they recite every ingredient while tasting the food. And you can really taste the __________. Yes, hosts, we know the ingredients. We just watched the dish being made. 

So of all the Pillsbury contestants, the lady that won took the pre- made dough, layered meats and cheese on it, rolled it up and sprinkled nuts on top. Are ya kidding me? $50,000 for that

Edited to add: I love Anne Burrell! She was a class act when she was pulled in to making that disgusting Nacho dish with hardly any meat and way too many chips.

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I tuned in as he was getting ready to put the mac & cheese in the oven. It looked good. What did you all think? Would you make it?

It did look good. I would make it minus the blue cheese. I love blue cheese but just can't imagine the strong flavor in a mac & cheese dish. 

• Love 2
On 2/25/2019 at 8:38 AM, bichonblitz said:

Makes me crazy when they recite every ingredient while tasting the food. And you can really taste the __________. Yes, hosts, we know the ingredients. We just watched the dish being made.

If I'm feeling generous, I'll try to put myself in their shoes and come up with what I'd say other than "This is delicious."  Maybe just more generic things like, "It's smooth," or "The flavors mesh together perfectly," but even those will get worn out if you have to do it a lot, and to get more specific, you'll revert to the ingredients.

Regardless, it still drives me crazy.

• Love 2

The 3/2/19 episode, 2 hour "Favorites" was...interesting.  I got so tired  of Sunny baiting Geoffrey, though.  How he tolerates her I don't know.  It was funny when they had 2 crew members come on to taste  Katie's Thanksgiving Pot Pie, and the bald guy says all those cliche things they say when tasting.  "The cranberries really pop, the I get the succulent turkey, etc." THAT was funny.  That being said, I don't like puff pastry as a pot pie crust and the idea of putting cranberries in it sounds gross.  

Jeff, though, looking good.  Whatever he's doing is working.  

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, trudysmom said:

The 3/2/19 episode, 2 hour "Favorites" was...interesting.  I got so tired  of Sunny baiting Geoffrey, though.  How he tolerates her I don't know. 

It's been looking to me like he's actually enjoying her.  I swear, something happened to him that's made him much looser.

That apple fritter cake bread has my name written all over it.  When one of them said "Ooh, I heard it crunch" when she cut it, I got embarrassingly excited.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Love 3
49 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

Anyone have thoughts on this show being 2 hours now?

I don't mind it being 2 hours so much because I just have it on as background noise while I do laundry, etc. So I am not ever just sitting in front of the TV watching it. Granted, if something pulls me in I'll stop and watch the segment. Anybody know WHY it is 2 hours now? I notice it is not on Sundays anymore (that's when I cook my meals for the week so I am more in front of the TV, if you will.

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Love 1
On 3/3/2019 at 3:15 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

That apple fritter cake bread has my name written all over it.  When one of them said "Ooh, I heard it crunch" when she cut it, I got embarrassingly excited.

Quoting myself here, with an update.  I originally thought it was apple fritter cake, but the recipe said bread (hence the edit).  I made it, and the "plain" part (not the apples or cinnamon sugar) is much more like cake than bread, to me.

I'm no cook, but I can follow a recipe, and the end product was just okay.  Nowhere near as sweet and crunchy as an apple fritter.  Mr. Outlier liked it okay, but for an unskilled food preparer, chopping apples is an ordeal and not really worth it.

I think I'll stick to real apple fritters, and pass on this tip:  You can put them in the freezer and snack on them frozen--just pull off a little hunk.  They're really good, and quite refreshing in the summer--even the ones you get in the bakery department at the grocery store.

• Love 2

Feel for me, up here in the great white north, Food Network Canada used to show it on Saturday mornings...no more now I’m stuck with a sophisticated baking show (Anna Bakes), Giada , Valerie (!!?), Pioneer Woman.  I hope they bring it back.

Edited by Bunnyette
On 3/10/2019 at 1:03 PM, tabloidlover said:

Anyone have thoughts on this show being 2 hours now?

I DVR it so I can skip through commercials and segments I have no interest in.  I think they've done themselves a disservice by being 2 hours.

• Love 2

Did anyone catch Patti Jinich on the 3/16/19 show?  She was preparing a lime bundt cake and it was like a SNL sketch.  The recipe called for 12 separated eggs.  All finesse went out the window.  She started off with the butter and sugar in the food processor.  Sunny was helping her, and when it came time to add the eggs, Patti told her just dump them all in at one time.  I have never made a bundt cake like that!  It is always add one egg and beat well, then add the next.  Okay, so this dozen egg yolks went in and the flour was to go in next.  So, guess what?  Patti told Sunny to dump it all in.  When the food processor was started up, flour went everywhere!  Then the eggs whites were folded in, very inexpertly.  Luckily, a cake had been baked ahead of time but there was true suspense as to whether it would plop out.  I would have to say this was one of the worst demos I've seen on any cooking show!

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Tippi said:

Did anyone catch Patti Jinich on the 3/16/19 show?  She was preparing a lime bundt cake and it was like a SNL sketch.  The recipe called for 12 separated eggs.  All finesse went out the window.  She started off with the butter and sugar in the food processor.  Sunny was helping her, and when it came time to add the eggs, Patti told her just dump them all in at one time.  I have never made a bundt cake like that!  It is always add one egg and beat well, then add the next.  Okay, so this dozen egg yolks went in and the flour was to go in next.  So, guess what?  Patti told Sunny to dump it all in.  When the food processor was started up, flour went everywhere!  Then the eggs whites were folded in, very inexpertly.  Luckily, a cake had been baked ahead of time but there was true suspense as to whether it would plop out.  I would have to say this was one of the worst demos I've seen on any cooking show!

I saw it. Oh, that flour! All over everywhere!

Anyone who's ever watched anybody bake anything on TV knew that was going to happen. I couldn't believe they didn't re-shoot that segment. Poor Patti. She is a good host on her own show but she sure seemed flustered (and floured!) on this show.

Actually, now that I think about it, why on earth didn't they show that flour explosion in slow motion at the end of the show? Make a thing out of it. That would have been funny.

Edited by Kathcart
had an idea
  • Love 2
On 3/17/2019 at 5:48 PM, Kathcart said:

It looked to me like it went all over everywhere except on them, somehow.  Even I knew that was a bad idea, and I'm no cook at all.  I did think it was funny how after that she'd kind of slit her mouth sideways and suggest that Sunny handle various other tasks that could be sketchy.

I'm softening toward Katie Lee.  She admitted that she's always pronounced the "g" in "avgolemono."  Between that and a while back when she was in her bathing suit doing a slip-and-slide or something in the final segment, she's making it hard for me to hate her.

Katie's voice has always bothered me. It used to be the way her saliva would pool up in her mouth, causing her to stop and swallow it down mid-sentence. But lately, her pronunciation forces me to forward past her segments. Basically, anything that should rhyme with "old" , she pronounces "ode", and I swear it has been getting worse lately. I realize she is from the south but seriously, get a diction or vocal coach. It is literally your job to speak.

• Love 4
On 3/21/2018 at 1:28 AM, Katherine Kegel said:

I think “that guy” refers to Kalen Allen.   He mentions salt and pepper in this video where he’s watching The Kitchen.  For your viewing pleasure, because if you haven’t watched it you must!  

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am sitting here laughing out loud so hard after 12:30 a.m. One of the funniest things I've seen in a while. And yes, to not putting squash and Brussel sprouts in mac and cheese AND not putting it in the oven. That definitely ain't no real deal, down home mac and cheese! Love this guy!

BTW, did I see Paula Deen on that episode? She used to have a show on Food Network called Paula's Party. I had been trying to recreate (and repeatedly failing) the mac and cheese of my dreams, the Holy Grail of mac and cheese really, that I had at a small restaurant in D.C. It was on that show that she made a mac and cheese to die for and the recipe tasted exactly like the one I had at that restaurant! Funny thing though, considering how they made this one: there is NO bechamel involved in making hers. It's basically a dump and stir recipe; so easy it's scary.

• LOL 1

I was just skimming through the shows my DVR recorded this morning, and the recording of The Kitchen seemed to be back-to-back episodes of Beat Bobby Flay (or Flay Bobby Beat).  I'm assuming this wasn't just my TV.  Did anyone hear an announcement about why it wasn't on?  Or something about a time change?  Very odd that they came off several weeks of two-hour episodes, and then suddenly nothing.

ETA:  Googled it.  Technical difficulties.  Whatever that means.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Love 2
On 3/22/2019 at 12:55 PM, butterbody said:

Basically, anything that should rhyme with "old" , she pronounces "ode", and I swear it has been getting worse lately.

I hadn't noticed that.  But now I will.  Thanks.  I guess.

She also pronounces "put" like "putt." 

24 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

ETA:  Googled it.  Technical difficulties.  Whatever that means.

Thanks for reporting that.  I don't have a DVR and have to set a timer, and I'm currently feeling massively besieged by technology that fucks with me at every turn.  Your post may have prevented the meltdown that does me in.  Much appreciated. 

• Love 2

You're very welcome.  Don't compound the technical difficulties by having your own meltdown!

There's usually a standard repeat of the Saturday show on Monday at noon, I think (best to double-check the FN site to make sure).  So maybe they'll rerun today's then.

• Love 1

I turned it on FN this morning to watch The Kitchen and the screen was black with the channel logo in the corner. I waited a few minutes and nothing changed so I tuned into another channel. When I flipped back later on that hour I saw that Bobby Flay's show was on.

On 3/17/2019 at 7:48 PM, Kathcart said:

Anyone who's ever watched anybody bake anything on TV knew that was going to happen. I couldn't believe they didn't re-shoot that segment. Poor Patti. She is a good host on her own show but she sure seemed flustered (and floured!) on this show.

Actually, now that I think about it, why on earth didn't they show that flour explosion in slow motion at the end of the show? Make a thing out of it. That would have been funny.

Hello Kathcart. I didn't watch this episode so I also feel bad for Patti. I watch her show every week on PBS and really enjoy  her relaxed, thorough and fun approach to whatever she's making.

I mainly quoted your post for the bolded phrase above. Too funny. I think that this should a PTV designated sub-category--like Candid Reality Shows--for every crappy, amateurish, cringe worthy cooking show on tv, which would constitute the majority of those that air on Food Network.

Also Flustered and Floured would make a great name for a show about frustrated and sexually repressed housewives. Just sayin'............. ☺

• Love 1

I love this show but Geoffrey Z. makes me roll my eyes.  He won't try much food that they make say... if it's bad for you.   All the other hosts are digging in and he just sits there picking at it maybe.   one time they did cookies and he couldn't even take a nibble.   It's annoying how he thinks he's above everyone else.  He won't eat food that's beneath him....Seems like a snob of sorts.   K...just had to vent... Btw, Jeff Mauro is hilarious, and always makes me laugh out loud.

Edited by suev3333
Spelling error
On 6/2/2014 at 11:57 AM, imjagain said:

I don't ff through Katie but I watch while I do other thing. So it is on in the background. She is very hard to watch though. Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

I like the show OK, it's not great but it is fine while I clean up on Saturday or Sunday mornings.

Yea, her voice hurts my ears sometimes...lol

• Love 2
On 8/30/2014 at 2:57 PM, Tahitigirl said:

I must be hair-obsessed today. First I watched Ree on Pioneer Woman and thought her hair would surely drag through her BBQ chicken more than once, thinking a ponytail or haircut would be in order. Then, for the first time in months, I watched The Kitchen only to be assaulted with the view of Sunny's two-toned mop wig. In what universe does that look good? And then I realized GZ had the Kewpie doll curl at the top of his forehead...doesn't exactly fit with his personality. Normally I don't even notice what people wear or how they style their hair; it's simply not important to me. But this level of ridiculousness couldn't be ignored.

Kewpie doll curl....🤣🤣😆you're right!

On 3/22/2019 at 2:55 PM, butterbody said:

Katie's voice has always bothered me. It used to be the way her saliva would pool up in her mouth, causing her to stop and swallow it down mid-sentence. But lately, her pronunciation forces me to forward past her segments. Basically, anything that should rhyme with "old" , she pronounces "ode", and I swear it has been getting worse lately. I realize she is from the south but seriously, get a diction or vocal coach. It is literally your job to speak.

It seems to have changed over the years. It's always been annoying but it's become worse. I'm still mixed about her. She annoys me, her voice, her Hermes China and Granny this Granny that yet I think she's physically beautiful and I've never ever had a recipe from her turn out bad. 

On 2/17/2019 at 12:10 AM, Mondrianyone said:

I got your point, @Spunkygal.  It doesn't have to be at absolutely #1 on a consistent basis to be a valuable ratings asset.  Which it obviously is.  And I agree that a lot of that has to do with the time slot.  If you don't want to be sitting in front of the TV on a late Saturday morning, and you're too old for cartoons in the background, it's an easy show to tune into.  You never know when a particular recipe might grab your attention.

I've been watching this two-hour installment in shifts of about twenty minutes each.  I like to see Alex Guarnaschelli when I get the chance.  (We knew both her parents--I worked with her mother, who was also my husband's editor on one book, so her face brings back memories for me.)  I haven't seen her pasta dish yet, so I have to do another shift at some point. 

My mother is her mother's first cousin (our grandfathers were brothers). About 10 years ago, my significant other and I ate at Butter, and she could not have been more generous, even those our mothers weren't particularly close. I enjoy watching her, although I do sometimes get weirded out when she starts talking about family recipes, etc.

I enjoy watching The Kitchen as part of my Saturday routine, but I could tell they were having some technical difficulties. I wonder if they will just show the episode they were supposed to show next Saturday?

• Love 2

I catch bits of this show every few months, and happened to see a little this morning.  I'm now wondering whether Sunny Anderson has no professional pride.  Her "performance" was 100% dialed in, complete with a sad recipe and "I just smelled a fart" face. 

• LOL 2
On 3/3/2019 at 4:15 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

It's been looking to me like he's actually enjoying her. 

It didn't look like it today (3/30/19).  GZ asked what she was making before she started her chili and she said "crow, so you can eat it." How tacky and classless can you get?  I've begun to hate her. Also, cinnamon in  chili?  Not in the Texas I grew up in. 

But most of all, I hate Buddy Valastro with the heat of 1000 suns so this episode blows on every level.

• Love 2