Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Lupe's Story

• Start Topic

I, myself, have a progressive (and terminal) medical condition.

It's the not trying that gets to me.

First, I hope the doctors find some heretofore-undiscovered treatment or therapy for you.

Second, ITA. Lupe, like Penny and Marla before her, isn't even trying to get better. They're saying all (or most) of the right things, but that's as far as it goes. When it comes time to actually doing work, forget it. And I find that attitude infuriating, possibly because I was in Gilbert's position growing up and as a young adult (although never to the giving a bath/dressing/pee-pad level) until I flatly refused to do it anymore.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Love 4

I found this to be one of the most depressing episodes of the series.  For some reason, I didn't find Lupe to be as snarkable, as, say, Sean. I just felt sorry for her, and for Gilbert too.

They never really said if Gilbert was doing anything more than talking to other women.  I couldn't blame him for wanting to have a conversation with someone who wasn't asking for a pee pad change

.I agree.  In fact, quite frankly, I give Gilbert major props for not walking out on her constant whining and neediness a long time ago.  That said, he is part of the problem for constantly bringing her food.

There are people on this show who weigh over 500 pounds who can still walk somewhat and get around, so I didn't have a lot of sympathy for her refusal to walk.  Didn't she say at the beginning that she had been bed bound for 10 years?  If so, her leg muscles may have atrophied a great deal.  I was surprised that she had rather thin legs for someone of her weight, and seemingly no lymphedemas. In fact, I feel rather bitter by her not-so-fat legs, as I weigh just under 200 pounds and my legs are the same size or larger.  I'd check, but I'm not sure that I can sit through this episode again.

I don't know how she broke the toilet--I'm assuming that if it was in Dr. Now's office, that it was specifically made for morbidly obese people?  If it was a regular toilet, I can see it breaking.  Regardless, how utterly humiliating.  Nobody deserves to have to go through that.

• Love 6

I am surprising myself by giving Gilbert a "pass" on his cheating.  I've never seen a spouse more loving, devoted and hard working on this series. Yet, we all have "needs", and the poor guy needed some escape.  Somehow he was able to justify loving his wife and yet find comfort from other sources, and I really can't blame him a bit.

Something about Lupe's right foot was off and maybe I missed if they addressed it.  Her right foot pointed completely sideways, never forward.  Was it a hip dislocation or some other deformity?  Although I believe her inability to get up and walk was for the most part psychological, the foot issue might have contributed to the problem.

It continues to deeply disturb me that these people show no means of supporting themselves yet manage to keep a fairly decent roof over their heads, afford months of hospital/medical care and TONS and TONS of fast food.  I can only guess that I am working my butt off, budgeting carefully and living paycheck to paycheck in order to involuntarily support these folks. 

Edited by suzeecat
  • Love 12

It continues to deeply disturb me that these people show no means of supporting themselves yet manage to keep a fairly decent roof over their heads, afford months of hospital/medical care and TONS and TONS of fast food.  I can only guess that I am working my butt off, budgeting carefully and living paycheck to paycheck in order to involuntarily support these folks.

Just a guess: maybe they're getting credit cards, paying the minimum payment whilst slowly maxing them out, then telling the banks to F off when the cards are maxed and credit lines aren't extended? With no job, no real assets and only receiving disability payments, it's not like banks would have anything to garnish or repossess.

It continues to deeply disturb me that these people show no means of supporting themselves yet manage to keep a fairly decent roof over their heads, afford months of hospital/medical care and TONS and TONS of fast food. I can only guess that I am working my butt off, budgeting carefully and living paycheck to paycheck in order to involuntarily support these folks.

That's exactly what's happening.. Your tax dollars at work one way or another. Pisses me off too.

I will say in regards to the car, I saw someone, maybe the niece, putting down a tarp on the seat first, then the pee pads. (there's a sentence I never thought I'd write) So at least there's a chance that that poor seat was saved from that much.

Just a guess: maybe they're getting credit cards, paying the minimum payment whilst slowly maxing them out, then telling the banks to F off when the cards are maxed and credit lines aren't extended? With no job, no real assets and only receiving disability payments, it's not like banks would have anything to garnish or repossess.

People with no income or jobs shouldn't be getting credit cards in the first place IMO.

• Love 4

When she got rolled out to the park in the last scenes (progress!) her narration said that she and Gilbert were trying to spend more time together. Huh? Previously she said he couldn't really hold a job because he had to be around to take care of her. Where are you, Gilbert? Off with other "females"? Not that I really blame you.

Prior to the reveal that he had a roving eye, I was kinda hoping he and the niece might work something out. Because he and Lupe have NEVER had an intimate life, right? She found him on line, then advised him that God had sent him to be her caretaker? And he bought that? I shake my head, yet I feel sorry for him.

He is her ENTIRE LIFE, except for food. He was her only (weak tit) motivation to lose weight. Ugh.

Hey, and she wore SHOES!!!

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 4

this episode was more disgusting than others. I'm sorry to say that. But menstrual blood, you would think she would know.at least next week they will be showing Melissa and a follow-up and what she's going through. I can't wait to see that.

yeah, who knew that over 600 = no period.  Drop 100 pounds = have a period.

It's sad to say BUT, I've been married for a long long time and while I wouldn't want it, I would be more comfortable with my husband changing my (imaginary) diaper than him having to deal with my period.  Just ugh to the entire scenario and I ain't even squeamish.

• Love 3

They appeared to be clear recipients of social services.  The house was a mess but looked to be that would meet Section 8 approvals.

Honestly, think about it like this.  I'm sure she got some sort of disability check along Gilbert's caregiver check.  Combine that with food assistance, they could (should) have enough cash to cover their fast food meals along with the food Gilbert prepared. They didn't own a car and what else would they really spend money on other than food?  It's not like they were going out for dates or even doing online shopping.  Depending on the neighborhood, if it's largely social service based, some restaurants will accept EBT payment for food.  

Gilbert reminded me of that one other lady from a previous season who was married but her husband got deported because he was here illegally.  I got the feeling that was a green card marriage as well.

• Love 1

Oh, I agree. And people who weigh 600 lbs and can't even walk shouldn't be demanding entire boxes of donuts, either. But they do.

I think that disturbed me the most. He brought the box of donuts and then she asked for a plate. Who eats so many donuts at one time that they need a plate. I thin that is more upsetting than seeing someone eat an entire pizza simply because donuts are such an indulgence.

• Love 1

We forgot about the burrito she stashed in her purse. I was thinking how gross that purse must be.

I have to respectfully disagree about giving Gilbert a pass on cheating. It is his choice to stay, nobody forced him to marry her.

He knew what he was getting into when they met.  

• Love 3

I guess I'm not as forgiving of Gilbert as others too. My take was he hooked up with Lupe as a caregiver, his "job" is wiping her ass and buying her food and he has plenty of time to get some on the side. They probably married because the benefits were greater that way. He is a charmer and sweet-talker, which we in spades during the episode. I do think he cares for her but I also think he is done with the whole situation after 8 years. The con has run it's course. Lupe knows it too and that is why she refuses to walk. Who else is going to take care of her?

I didn't realize this was a 2-hour episode, so when it was at the 55 minute mark I thought we were going to get our first 600 pound death. 

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 5

Gilbert definitely didn't have a fat fetish, as I think someone speculated upthread. He said he had never liked larger women before, but by the time he saw a picture of Lupe (they must have met online?), he was already falling for her. I cannot say I know what that's like, because I have been attracted to athletic men ever since I started doing marathons and would never have gotten serious about someone for whom fitness wasn't a passion. Not just for aesthetics, but for health and for getting some time away from each other, haha. Can't imagine having a spouse who literally lies there all day, never giving me a moment's peace in my own home. No wonder Gilbert wasn't attracted to Lupe - if the weight didn't turn him off, which I'm sure it did, then the constantly peeing, pooping, and menstruating all over everything was a total boner-killer. 

The whole "I was chatting with those women to preach Jesus to them" thing was HILARIOUS, though. Reminded me of a recent Dr. Phil where a guy befriended a hooker (and started an affair) because he wanted to preach the gospel to her, but he just kept begging for sex.

• Love 9

I was so conflicted watching this episode, I know I need compassion for my fellow humans, but Lupe frustrated me with the constant whining and refusals to walk.I have a joint disease, and personally, I want to keep walking as long as possible.

One good thing came from this episode: my hubby was eating orange slices (the candy, not the fruit), saw Lupe, folded up the bag and said, "I'm just going to have a couple."

• Love 9

He said he had never liked larger women before, but by the time he saw a picture of Lupe (they must have met online?), he was already falling for her.

IIRC, they met online and she initially sent him a picture of a 200-lb woman. He said he was mad when she sent him her real picture prior to them meeting, but he went through with it anyway. ITA that he was likely expecting some kind of Anna Nicole Smith deal where he marries her, she croaks, and he is the recipient of big bucks (in this case, as the beneficiary of a mail-order life insurance policy that doesn't require a medical examination). That would also explain why he was so willing to buy her boxes of donuts and Taco Bell orders that would normally feed a family of six: the larger she gets, the higher the probability that her heart will give out. Remember that when they met, she was bedridden and two years out from a diabetic coma. He probably never expected her to still be alive at this point.

This would also explain her big weight gain after her first hospital discharge: he just kept stuffing her with food in the hopes that she'd f-ing die already.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Love 8

There was a lot of disturbing stuff in this episode but maybe the worst for me was watching Gilbert drink milk from a jug. There were several scenes where he was carrying around a gallon of milk and drinking from it. It even happened in the hospital. Who brings a gallon of milk with them to the hospital to chug?

I can't say I much cared for Lupe but I did feel bad for her. She much not think much of herself to to be in a position where she stops walking so that she can cling to a cheating husband and force him to stay.

• Sad 1

There was no happy ending.  She got down to 360 lbs but still could not/refused to walk. It ended with Gilbert taking her to the park in a wheelchair, like that was a victory.  It was marginally better than she started, but still depressing as hell. 

I hope I will be able to catch the second hour at some point. First hour was jam packed with the most digusting looking hotdog ever consumed on this show (and that's saying a lot) a broken toilet, someone scarfing down 24 ox drinks who can't get herself to a bathroom and menstrual blood. 

When it first started, she said that she was bed bound but yet I had high hopes for her because she could bear weight on her legs- hoist herself up to the walker and throw herself down in the wheelchair. At least since she puts weight on her legs, I was sure she would walk again rather easily. Why could she not walk?

I just couldn't with this woman. I always give these people the benefit of the doubt and I tried with her..but her hysterics just got me so irritated!

She comes home and gains 80lbs in a month. To me, that was like a slap in the face of the people helping her.

I agree with a lot of what you all are saying and can't wait for a follow up. Though I'm not optimistic in this case.

You always know they gained when they say "I'm really nervous, I hope I did enough, I tried- I just hope it's enough" when they know damn well they've been cheating all month! 

They may have cut back 3 days before the weigh in and taken water pills. I swear she wanted to pee in that waiting room to see if she could pee out a few pounds before her weigh in.

• Love 2
That sh*t (fast food) must be more powerful than heroin

If I had the surgery for me the hardest thing to give up would be soda (you aren't supposed to have carbonated drinks). There used to be real cocaine in Coca Cola and I swear there still is. :) I try to cut back on it and use it as a treat because I can't give up soda completely.

• Love 5

There used to be real cocaine in Coca Cola and I swear there still is.

There are tiny trace amounts, but nowhere near enough to have any pharmacological effect. It literally would not be possible to drink enough and even if it were, the massive amounts of sugar and caffeine you would have consumed would dwarf any effect the cocaine had.

As for fast food: It's aimed square at the center of the American palate: lots of salt and fat. And yes, those tastes and sensations can be addictive. Still doesn't excuse letting yourself go to where you can't even get up to pee.

• Love 2

I, too, noticed how oddly Lupe sat in that wheelchair, and when she was walking, how her right foot was completely perpendicular to her other foot.  I wonder if she had damaged the nerves or muscles so that the foot was permanently turned out like that?  If she has raging diabetes it's very possible she had nerve damage in her feet and legs.  I missed how high her blood sugar was, so I'm glad someone else caught that.  So her blood sugar was 4 times has high as it should be.  And yet she still kept shoveling it in.  I can only imagine what her bowel movements must have been like.  Poor Gilbert, having to clean those up!  The pee pads were bad enough.  And she was one of the only ones who had lost significant weight, but you couldn't see it from the before to after pictures.  She STILL looked like she had another 400-500 pounds to lose.

• Love 3

I've seen it mentioned here a few times already but I think it's unlikely that Lupe has a life insurance policy. Neither one of them have a job so it's not like they have insurance through work and I doubt they went out and bought a policy on their own. Who would insure a 600 lb person anyway? The only thing Gilbert gets if Lupe dies is his freedom.

Anyway, I don't condone Gilbert cheating but I do understand why he does it. It must get exhausting doing everything for another person. Not only does he have to do all the cooking, cleaning and shopping, he has to bathe his wife and wipe her ass and listen to her constant moaning and groaning. I think he just might want to feel like a normal man once and a while. It's not right but I get it.

I thought really he was going to disappear in the night during one of her hospital stays and it's awful but I really wouldn't blame him if he did. I still don't get why he married her in the first place.

Reserve a seat on that bus for me because I didn't think Lupe looked all that different after losing 300 pounds either. I wish her well but I don't have much hope for her. The picnic in the park didn't look that happy.

• Love 5

This was another one where I yelled at the TV throughout the show. A low point was Lupe's insistence that she has tried everything else and nothing has worked. I'd like to hear her name one thing she has honestly tried, because all I could see was her shoveling in huge quantities of donuts and burritos. And then she seemed shocked by the restrictions of the diet they put her on in the hospital. What the hell did she expect, some kind of magical low-calorie donuts or burritos? So many of these people seem to think that the weight loss surgery, or even a doctor-supervised diet in Lupe's case, will allow them to lose weight while they continue to stuff themselves with junk food. And those little confessions that she had cheated a little bit or given in to cravings -- you know that meant she had been devouring everything in sight for the past month. Don't get me started on her justification for the birthday dinner. I really wanted to slap this woman silly.

• Love 4

What the hell did she expect, some kind of magical low-calorie donuts or burritos? So many of these people seem to think that the weight loss surgery, or even a doctor-supervised diet in Lupe's case, will allow them to lose weight while they continue to stuff themselves with junk food. And those little confessions that she had cheated a little bit or given in to cravings -- you know that meant she had been devouring everything in sight for the past month. Don't get me started on her justification for the birthday dinner. I really wanted to slap this woman silly.

It's the same reason used exercise equipment is one of the most popular items at garage sales: saying you're going to do something is easy. Doing it is hard. The big difference is that people who quit an exercise plan will usually just admit to it, instead of swearing they're pumping iron for an hour or two a day but somehow their muscles are getting smaller. Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS

As a Type 2 diabetic who has to severely restrict carbs to keep my blood sugar under 120, I was horrified at the opening scene when Lupe tested her blood sugar sugar - 475! - and injected her insulin. Then later as she was scarfing down enough food for 4 people, she said that she'd just take some more insulin. My God! She must have no understanding of what that behavior is doing to her body.

In fact, when she was whining about not being able to stand because her legs were numb, I wondered whether the numbness was just a ploy to avoid the effort of standing, or if it was real - a result of nerve damage due to her uncontrolled diabetes.

I felt bad for her. This was such a humiliating exhibition. Getting stuck on a toilet and needing 6 big men just to get her off. Passing menstrual blood and not even realizing it. Just awful for her.

Exactly!! She has NO clue how the human body works and how food is poison to a diabetic. I've lived with diabetics all my life and no way would they abuse their bodies like that. They eat healthy foods and move! No moving makes your body shut down faster. I hope that she is helped otherwise Gilbert will be cashing that fat insurance check and living large elsewhere. Edited by Fuzzysox

Feeling guilty, but when that toilet broke and the seat was shown on the floor I laughed. Surely it was very humiliating for Lupe, but something about the whole scene made me laugh.

My husband is usually not home to watch television with me in the evening, but he was last night. As this show progressed, he looked at me like I had two heads for watching it. Tried to explain that most of this season was not as bad as this episode, but not sure he believed me. When the toilet scene came on, he quit watching.

• Love 4

I don't know, fuzzysox.  A  good friend of mine is diabetic -- she was diagnosed Type II about 12 years ago, and does nothing to help herself.  She has no one to take care of her, so when she gets real bad, she has to go into a nursing home until she gets well enough to go home -- rinse and repeat.  She got sepsis from unattended unhealed sores on her ankles, her entire left hip is out of whack because her foot is turned like Lupe's, she has parathesis (sp?) of the stomach where your stomach muscles don't move to push the food on down so it sits there and rots and makes you sick, etc. She has never eaten what she should -- breakfast is fast food, lunch is fast food, dinner is fast food.  Plus the food she buys at the convenience store -- bags of chips, sodas, etc.   She is like Lupe -- wrong food, higher glucose number, more insulin. 

• Love 1

I think Gilbert gets something huge out of being married to Lupe: he does not have to work.  They live in California so she gets disability and he gets the caretaker's income.  When all you can get is low-paying, crappy work, then having a "job" like taking care of a family member in your home is a massive step up. I strongly suspect that is what drew Gilbert to Lupe.  He strikes me as the kind of guy who never got a strong foothold in adulthood and really needed some security but who was not willing to get a real job.  

• Love 10

I can't help wondering why Gilbert needed to walk to the grocery story, when there was obviously someone from the camera crew there filming him.  Why didn't they give him a ride? Or maybe they did, and just made him get out and walk 20 feet a few times to get footage....

• Love 2

Reserve room on that bus because even when down 200-300 pounds, Lupe looked the same to me except around her trach hole and flapping chins.

I know.  There have been contestants on Biggest Loser about that size, and they're doing the gym.

Lupe looked the same to me to, and I can't figure out how that could be.

He is her ENTIRE LIFE, except for food.

Oh, I wish you hadn't said this.  Am I the only one who thought "and if push comes to shove..."

• Love 3

As a Type 2 diabetic who has to severely restrict carbs to keep my blood sugar under 120, I was horrified at the opening scene when Lupe tested her blood sugar sugar - 475! - and injected her insulin. Then later as she was scarfing down enough food for 4 people, she said that she'd just take some more insulin. My God! She must have no understanding of what that behavior is doing to her body.

In fact, when she was whining about not being able to stand because her legs were numb, I wondered whether the numbness was just a ploy to avoid the effort of standing, or if it was real - a result of nerve damage due to her uncontrolled diabetes.

I felt bad for her. This was such a humiliating exhibition. Getting stuck on a toilet and needing 6 big men just to get her off. Passing menstrual blood and not even realizing it. Just awful for her.

Thanks for reminding me of that. I wasn't sure what I heard - 475, huh? Jeez, for a fasting BG? I'd faint. And while I take insulin because I don't want to deal with the side effects of the newer meds (been there, done that), I know enough to know that I need to moderate my carbs and should really try to take as little insulin as I can get away with. So she shoots up in the morning and then is taking a ton more with each meal? Jeez Louise. Not good.

Re the numbness and diabetes, maybe. There was another patient who had numb legs and Dr Now seemed to be on top of the problem, that is, he knew what it was. If Lupe had the same issue, I'd like to think that Dr Now would have known what was going on and mentioned it for the camera. Still, it was all pretty bad, from the trach hole to breaking the toilet...

Go 'head, Gilbert, we'll understand if you want to leave...

• Love 1

Yikes. Lupe's ejection fraction was only 35%? I wish they had given us exact numbers when they did the TEE. I work in a pre-anesthesia clinic and our doctors would not have approved either surgery with an EF like that. General anesthesia carries the same risks no matter how long you are under. I'm also curious about surgery lengths. For the surgeons I work with, the difference in the type of surgeries is a matter of about two hours...

• Love 2

On the subject of the car used to drive to Houston, I'm pretty sure that was a rental car. It was a brand new Hyundai and had bar codes on the windows like most rental cars do. That said, I have NO IDEA why they didn't rent a minivan for this purpose. Perhaps because cars are cheaper to rent and get better gas mileage? Maybe TLC doesn't pay for absolutely everything - including transport to Houston? I feel for the rental lot attendant who had to deal with the clean-up when the car was returned. They should just send that car straight to the crusher.

Separately, I'm an avid watcher of this show, and appreciate the more inspiring stories we've gotten this season. I have a high tolerance for disturbing images. But Sean and - especially - Lupe, truly madly deeply grossed me out. The primal shoveling of food into her mouth, the pee pads, the menstrual blood (!!!!). These past two episodes have made me sick to my stomach. I don't know how much longer I can keep watching.

• Love 8

On the subject of the car used to drive to Houston, I'm pretty sure that was a rental car. It was a brand new Hyundai and had bar codes on the windows like most rental cars do. That said, I have NO IDEA why they didn't rent a minivan for this purpose. Perhaps because cars are cheaper to rent and get better gas mileage? Maybe TLC doesn't pay for absolutely everything - including transport to Houston?

For all the humiliation these people undergo, TLC should pay for the transportation for those who don't have suitable vehicles.

On all of these, and especially this, I wonder what the nightmare trip was like.  I'd be it was pretty horredous.

• Love 1

I overate 3 donuts from the QT last weekend and my stomach hurt so bad the rest of the day and all night and the next day. Never again. Those donuts and pastries she had were 5 times what I ate and that is probably the richest thing we have seen anyone eat on this show. How can you eat ten of those? Then about 2 hours later they eat a few bags of fast food. Is the stomach all stretched out?  I also noticed at her birthday dinner the regular (non diet) soda= thats puts on so many calories, LOTs of the 20,000 or so they eat each day to maintain 600 pounds and gain another 50 each month. Dr Now tells them NO SODA...but you always see them drinking it. Did you see that huge drink on the car ride? If I had to pee on a pad I would not be drinking the 32 oz soda special in the car..just saying. 

these people are the dregs of humanity, absolutely the bottom in education and finances. They really don't know anything and they have nothing. It's very sad.

• Love 5

I can't help wondering why Gilbert needed to walk to the grocery story, when there was obviously someone from the camera crew there filming him. Why didn't they give him a ride? Or maybe they did, and just made him get out and walk 20 feet a few times to get footage....

Probably because their job is to document what goes on. Not help or interfere in any way.

And when they were trying to get Lupe into the house in the wheelchair. It's so much easier to turn it around and pull it up the step rather than push her forward.

• Love 3

I assumed that if Lupe died that Gilbert would get survivor social security payments. But y'all are probably right about the insurance.

I couldn't blame Gilbert, really. Would you be attracted to someone who needed 100 firemen to get off the toilet?

At that same time, he didn't have much going for him, with wearing the same pair of plaid shorts with rotating wife-beaters...for a year.

BTW, I noticed several of those firemen were mighty cute. I can only imagine their conversation afterwards.

How do you gain 80 pounds in a month? That's pretty amazing.

Edited by Pepperminty
  • Love 5

couldn't Lupe still give her husband oral sex or at least a hand job? Not that I am blaming her for his cheating because he did marry her knowing her situation, but maybe if she threw the guy a bone

doesn't it work the other way around?

• Love 2

I overate 3 donuts from the QT last weekend and my stomach hurt so bad the rest of the day and all night and the next day. Never again. Those donuts and pastries she had were 5 times what I ate and that is probably the richest thing we have seen anyone eat on this show. How can you eat ten of those? Then about 2 hours later they eat a few bags of fast food. Is the stomach all stretched out?  I also noticed at her birthday dinner the regular (non diet) soda= thats puts on so many calories, LOTs of the 20,000 or so they eat each day to maintain 600 pounds and gain another 50 each month. Dr Now tells them NO SODA...but you always see them drinking it. Did you see that huge drink on the car ride? If I had to pee on a pad I would not be drinking the 32 oz soda special in the car..just saying. 

these people are the dregs of humanity, absolutely the bottom in education and finances. They really don't know anything and they have nothing. It's very sad.

Where do they all get the money for fast food?  And apartments?   And cell phones/service?  And computers?  Especially when they don't seem to work?  I work more than 60 hours a week.   I have a modest income.   I couldn't afford to eat like they do, especially when so much of it comes from fast food restaurants.   An average meal for one person at McDonalds now is like $7-10, and more at other places.   

Aside from being grossed out by this show, I feel like a sucker for working so hard.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 12
Speaking of which, Lupe is the 2nd woman to make me shake my head at the Universe this season. Lupe finds a husband at 500+ and bed bound, another one this season found a husband at 500 lbs with a severely disabled child, and I'm a college educated woman who runs her own business and bupkis. Where's my yellow brick road? ;)

It's called "having standards".   Seriously, would you want one of the enablers, oops, I mean caregivers, oops, I mean husbands from this show?

I have to admit, I've had the same thought, though. :)

• Love 14

Most overweight people are more comfortable with the head of the bed raised in some way -- either an adjustable bed, or plenty of pillows put in behind the upper back.   

I think it was because of her neck fat.  It was hard for her to breath due to it and I think sitting up made it worse.  I think that's why she was always shown laying flat while at the hospital 

Wait, hold up.  They are living in a HOTEL?  no car?  What happened to the niece who was "living" with them in Texas?

The niece was only staying with them until they got "settled" and then she took the car back with her. 

I didn't understand the part in the hospital where she said she called him and he thought she was another woman.  Don't they have cell phones, you know the kind with Caller ID?  This is not a new concept.  And if you were cheating, ok, "flirting" with other women, wouldn't you make double sure it's not your wife on the phone when you answer?  Gilbert's a cheater, he's going to cheat even if she weighs 125 lbs, and also, in the immortal words of the Eagles, he's already gone. 

He made a comment like "I'm not sure how I picked up your call while I was talking to her"   or something like that.  which may be an excuse but possible that he hit a button and didn't realize it.  Maybe he was on the call with the other lady and Lupes call came in and he went to decline it and instead answered it. Either way, really weird!

The whole "I was chatting with those women to preach Jesus to them" thing was HILARIOUS, though. Reminded me of a recent Dr. Phil where a guy befriended a hooker (and started an affair) because he wanted to preach the gospel to her, but he just kept begging for sex.

That was funny - "I'm only posting scriptures and sharing the word of God with people"  uhh yea... SURE  you are Gilbert... we believe that 100% lol  You totally look like a Godly man. Full time caretaker - part-time preacher?  Ok.

If I had the surgery for me the hardest thing to give up would be soda (you aren't supposed to have carbonated drinks). There used to be real cocaine in Coca Cola and I swear there still is. :) I try to cut back on it and use it as a treat because I can't give up soda completely.

Me either.  I try not to have pop during the week unless i'm having a really bad day.  I try to only drink it Friday and Saturday but Sundays have been creeping back in.  And I used to drink SO much on the weekend.  Thankfully I can't do that anymore as after a certain amount it makes me feel kinda crappy but I crave pop like no other sometimes.

I can't help wondering why Gilbert needed to walk to the grocery story, when there was obviously someone from the camera crew there filming him.  Why didn't they give him a ride? Or maybe they did, and just made him get out and walk 20 feet a few times to get footage....

or i dunno..... what about a cab? lol 

I also thought Gilbert was faking his whole lovey act too. 

And I thought for sure this was going to be the episode that we see a caregiving walk off and never come back.  

BUT! We finally did see a caregiver basically say "your food is over there if you want it - I'm leaving (for awhile)"

When he was making her the mushroom soup.  He got so fed up with her whining about tiny chunks of mushrooms in it that he set it on the counter and left. 

• Love 9

It's called "having standards".   Seriously, would you want one of the enablers, oops, I mean caregivers, oops, I mean husbands from this show?

I have to admit, I've had the same thought, though. :)

Wouldn't have either of those guys on a silver platter. I was mostly kidding in my post. I'd much rather be happy alone than miserable with someone, but it's mind-boggling that these huge people with 1,000 attendant problems can find someone who says "yep, sign me up for that!"

• Love 8

Where do they all get the money for fast food? And apartments? And cell phones/service? And computers? Especially when they don't seem to work? I work more than 60 hours a week. I have a modest income. I couldn't afford to eat like they do, especially when so much of it comes from fast food restaurants. An average meal for one person at McDonalds now is like $7-10, and more at other places.

Aside from being grossed out by this show, I feel like a sucker for working so hard.

Section 8 housing, welfare, food stamps, free cell phones (Yeah if you're under a certain income, you can get a free phone.)

Plus SSI and God only knows what else. In other words, your tax dollars at work. Pisses me off too.

• Love 8

You summed it so right. I wonder who nominates some of these people -friends, family? I can't see Lupe & Gabe having enough smarts to get her story together to submit.

I have mobility issues & use a wheelchair most of the time to get around when I go out. Don't these people think or plan ahead? I would have brought along boxes of trash bags in the car trip to use for disposing of the pee pads. Maybe they did it for the shock value, but no family member of mine would have carried a used pee pad across a busy parking lot to throw it away. Like others have suggested, I also limit my intake of fluids when going out.

I started to feel a little for Lupe when she said she didn't go out because she knew going to the bathroom was an issue. (Wouldn't that have been a wake up call?) I know where she is coming from - not all restrooms are easily accessible. But I had to laugh when Gabe supposedly checked out the bathroom beforehand &told her it seemed OK to him. What was he thinking? That bathroom looked awful small. She couldn't even get the wheelchair in the bathroom &close to the toilet let alone the toilet being able to support her. Which brings me to a gross question - how do these large people sit on the toilet correctly to get the pee & poop to go in it? She looked like an elephant perched on a bucket. But I do know what Gabe was thinking -by having her use the toilet, it was one less pee pad he had take care of. Plus I'm sure he figured he could get help if needed. That one male nurse looked like he wanted to run in the opposite direction when Gabe started talking to him. I was surprised Dr Now's office doesn't have a larger, more easily accessible bathroom not only for his larger patients but for disabled people as well.

Speaking of which, Lupe is the 2nd woman to make me shake my head at the Universe this season. Lupe finds a husband at 500+ and bed bound, another one this season found a husband at 500 lbs with a severely disabled child, and I'm a college educated woman who runs her own business and bupkis. Where's my yellow brick road? ;)

I'm feeling you -I said something similar last week about Sean. Last year I got a pulmonary embolism (& bed sores) after being sick with the stomach flu & bedridden for just about 2 weeks. I wasn't totally incapacitated- I still got up to use the bathroom & get things. These people lie around for years & nothing happens to them. My Dr said my embolism was probably not only from immobility but I was dehydrated too (which these people don't seem to have a problem with their ginormous drinks.)

Why did she even bother to check her blood sugar? I'm not too familiar with diabetes, but how does the insulin get to where it needs to go when it has to go thru inches & layers of fat? Can someone explain?

• Love 3

For all the humiliation these people undergo, TLC should pay for the transportation for those who don't have suitable vehicles.

On all of these, and especially this, I wonder what the nightmare trip was like.  I'd be it was pretty horredous.

For almost every patient, you see the arrival scene where Dr. Now was standing in front of the hospital saying that driving cross country in a mini-van is very dangerous, they should have taken a bariatric ambulance - and I'm thinking, why didn't you tell that to your son who's the producer?  They knowingly put all these people in danger.  Trust me, TLC has the money to pay for a bariatric ambulance.

So there has been a lot of comments about money and the fact that Lupe and Gilbert have nothing.  Some people are just as happy as clams with nothing, so long as they don't have to work.  (Now, this is going to come across as snobby, but bear with me) We have family members who are just happy to sit in their house (apartment, trailer) all day and watch Jerry Springer/play video games/talk shit on facebook, smoking cigarettes, eating hot dogs on white bread with store brand ketchup, sitting on their musty, stained couch.  They have no bank account, no credit cards, and a car that barely runs (if that) and no job to speak of.  Whereas I busted my ass in college, twice, and got a great job with fantastic benefits. My husband who never went to college (and really didn't graduate high school), does commercial refrigeration and works about 80 hours a week, but makes nearly six figures.  While we are not free to do whatever we want, whenever we want because of our jobs, I feel like because we have a bank account, credit cards, and  newer cars, we have way more freedom then them.  We don't get to go on vacation as they do nearly as much, we too often eat cheaply, and my couch is pretty musty (dogs!), but at least we could take off on a weekend trip, shop at Whole Foods and buy a new couch if we wanted, but we don't because we want to spend our money wisely.  Am I mad that I have to pay for these relatives to live through my taxes?  A little, but I feel sorry for them that don't realize they have enslaved themselves to the government.  

• Love 7