Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E12: The Inside Man

• Start Topic

Is it just me, or is Coulson stupidly trusting for the leader of a spy agency? Don't you think he'd at least come up with some more plans, at least a plan B?

Also, I know I'm supposed to be scared of Ward, but I'm just bored. And mildly grossed out by him being covered in mucus.

Edited by kitlee625
  • Love 7

Coulson does seem to end up hoodwinked a lot.  I kind of like Talbot, so at least he wasn't full hydra.

I'm not clear on how Kreel managed to survive.  He was being slowly taken over by the diviner material.

Hunter and Bobbie behind the scenes should be interesting.

• Love 2

Holy crap Kreel!  So many twists and turns there and I didn't see any of them coming.  Very interesting that he's so loyal to Talbot. 

I know this will probably be an unpopular opinion here, but I'm quite liking Brett Dalton as Hive.  Not only is he super creepy looking (I love how sunken they made his eyes! They're always in shadow, like the empty sockets of a skull), I really like what Dalton is doing with his voice.  It's soft, detached, and it almost has a humming quality behind it.  Very alien.  I'm not sure how interesting Hive/Hydra's storyline will end up being, but so far I'm appreciating what Brett Dalton is bringing to the part. 

Still not buying the Daisy/Lincoln pairing.  They are so boring together, and Lincoln's heart clearly isn't into being a SHIELD agent. 

And where the hell was Mack this week?  I'm used to Joey being MIA, but not Mack.

• Love 10

I'm not clear on how Kreel managed to survive.  He was being slowly taken over by the diviner material.

The science/medicine has been pretty bad on this show, but my impression is that they gave him a vaccine that somehow allowed a partial transformation but not the full on side effect of death.

Edited by kitlee625

From what I gathreed, he's not an Inhuman but not a human either, and something in his DNA couteracts the diviner metal and the terragenesis stuff.  He's one of those "M"-word types they can't mention because Warner Brothers still owns the rights to the X-Men.

• Love 5

Is it just me, or is Coulson stupidly trusting for the leader of a spy agency? Don't you think he'd at least come up with some more plans, at least a plan B?

Also, I know I'm supposed to be scared of Ward, but I'm just bored. And mildly grossed out by him being covered in mucus.

Lately, SHIELD seems to never have any backup plans, but they do try to improvise a solution, usually by just fighting their way out. 

As with thoughts about this episode how many times does Lincoln have to come close to almost killing someone and why? Is he supposed to be evil, have anger issues, or just likes hurting people (and seriously someone needs to call him Palpatine on the show)?

Glad Talbott was being coerced, I don't like him as a bad guy, I like him right where he is, reluctant ally.

Finally seeing the menace in SquidWard. (Trademark TVSpectator)

Awe, thanks but  I can't take credit since that name has been in use, back on Reddit, since Maveth. 

I liked most of this episode though I'm still sick of "ward". I really could careless about what he is doing with hydra, though it clearly has it's own agenda.

I liked the stuff with Bobbi, Hunter and May. It was nice to see agents without powers save the day. I'm glad that Telbot wasn't evil, because I like when he is working with Coulson. I also like that there was some scenes with Daisy and Lincoln. It was interesting seeing Creel again, I forgot he was still alive.

I do wish there was more of Fitz and Simmons.

• Love 1

Very good episode.  Glad Talbot wasn’t a traitor and liked the return of Creel.  Looks like they are definitely setting up Marvel’s Most Wanted for Bobbi and Hunter.  Loved the “I love you.  I don’t hate you as much” exchange.

• Love 3

Ah yes, the M-words.

The M word of the night should be Manifold seeing as he got name checked and then they scooped him up (he hasn't been cast yet as far as I know)

Eden Fesi (codename Manifold) the Inhuman mentioned is an Aboriginal Australian who is yet another Secret Warrior .Described by Daisy as a souped up Teleporter .And if they get him the spreading out of the SW

58489dd3f98a3f8ab8dccf20a161d228.jpg

Edited by Humbugged

Didn't know Talbot had an Inhuman son that could be exploited. I hope his power is not having his father's hair. On the plus side, Glen and Phil make for a nice couple.

I'm confused about Hive/Ward. He can suck regular humans to the bone, but not Inhumans. And he's impervious to Inhuman powers. Am I close?

• Love 1

Didn't know Talbot had an Inhuman son that could be exploited. I hope his power is not having his father's hair. On the plus side, Glen and Phil make for a nice couple.

I'm confused about Hive/Ward. He can suck regular humans to the bone, but not Inhumans. And he's impervious to Inhuman powers. Am I close?

I think he won't because he see's it as cannibalism. Jai Ling only took fellow Inhumans as a last resort

I think he also has some sort of mind control powers?  At least that's how I interpreted him sending spores into the guy with Medusa eyes plus Malick's right hand man at the end of last week's episode.

I think he won't because he see's it as cannibalism. Jai Ling only took fellow Inhumans as a last resort

He said explicitly that he "cannot inhabit other inhumans" and that he "cannot feed on our own kind", which is different from will not or does not so I don't think it's just a cannibalism issue.  

• Love 1

Best thing about Whatever Ward is that he talks a lot less than plain old Evil Ward. Keep quiet, Dead Ward. The living you was talky and annoying.

Lincoln and Daisy are boring. I think the issue is Lincoln because I like Daisy interacting with everyone else. For Lincoln it's like they said, okay, let's just hire Generic Pretty Guy No. 3.

Love Coulson and Talbot working together.

*Hunter reveals weapons.*

Bobbi: I love you

May: I hate you a little less

Hah. I love May.

• Love 7

I'm so glad Talbot had an understandable reason for betraying Coulson. They're interactions are too fun for Talbot to be a bad guy. His "Michael Scott" level insensitivity meeting the world leaders was hilarious. I was like "Nooooo!" when Talbot said Coulson was head of Hydra.

Apparently Daisy stopped wearing a bra.

I didn't realize Hunter was making a pun as in "FITZ like a glove." until I went on Reddit.

That last scene with SquidWard! Gross!

Edited by VCRTracking

I'm so glad Talbot had an understandable reason for betraying Coulson. They're interactions are too fun for Talbot to be a bad guy.

Understandable but dumb.  If he thought Malick was ever going to release his son, he's a lot of bricks shy of a load.

I agree they need to ditch Lincoln -- he just isn't working.  Not when the rest of the cast is firing on all cylinders.

Speaking of Malick, who thought he was going to toss Petrov off the plane as soon as he got what he needed?

I like Lincoln when he's acting as Dr. Lincoln in the lab with FitzSimmons. I'm not as big a fan when he's hothead Agent Lincoln with Daisy.

They've started setting up Bobbi and Hunter's spin-off and I'm not happy about it. They bring a lot of comic relief to the show and I love Hunter's relationship with Fitz. They're my brotp and I'm gonna be upset if the show ruins that by having Fitz think Hunter betrayed them. 

• Love 6

Understandable but dumb.  If he thought Malick was ever going to release his son, he's a lot of bricks shy of a load.

I felt like everyone was acting pretty dumb or at least short sighted in this episode. Talbot should have known that Malick would never play ball, and Coulson trusted Talbot completely because they're bros, without even thinking that Hydra could have gotten to him first. Has he learned nothing after all the double agents he's dealt with in this show alone? I also found the whole "he's Hydra!" "no he's Hydra!" to be just silly.

Edited by kitlee625
  • Love 3

Hive like Deadpool came after my comic book days so I don't know how powerful he is supposed to be but by watching Mark Dascascos it didn't seem as if Mr Giyera was much different. He started as Hydra anyway while Medusa eyes seemed to be a local  corrupt cop in Colombia before turning?

I can not call the guy with the stunner eyes "Medusa eyes."  First off, there's a Medusa in the the Inhumans books, she's their queen and her power is her hair is like tentacles (sort of, its been years since I read those books).  Second, Medusa, the gorgon, turned people into stone.  This guy is like a phaser on stun or freezes his victims temporarily.  Not nearly the same thing.  I like what the poster called him last week, Basilisk eyes.  While a basilisk freezes people dead, this guy does freeze his victims.

I don't remember them ever saying whether Jr. Talbot was an Inhuman.  I thought Malick just took him hostage using the Inhuman capturing technology.

• Love 2

I don't remember them ever saying whether Jr. Talbot was an Inhuman. I thought Malick just took him hostage using the Inhuman capturing technology.

It looks like an Inhuman replacement for Colonel Stryker's mutant son in X2

Unless I'm mistaken, Simmons said something in Creel's blood counteracted the terra...terror...how is it spelled? The either it gives you powers or kills you thing. So whatever it was gave him his powers (I'm guessing it's something different than the comics) saved him. As for the vaccine, I can see both sides. Lincoln is right in that people should have a choice of whether or not they want to try and become Inhuman, because Andrew certainly didn't want the career change and the world would be better off without Lash. But Daisy is also right, if you come up with a way to 'cure' or prevent Inhumans, damn near every government in the world is going to try and find a way to weaponize it and force its use.

I don't think Talbot believed Mallick, exactly. The guy had his son and he felt he had no choice but to go along with his demands, because he knew full well Mallick would have no problem killing the kid. The fact that he might well kill him when he was done probably occurred to him, but as long as the boy was still alive there was at least a chance he could get him back.

If the Ward-thing needed humans to eat to get back to full strength, why didn't he mention it to Mallick before? Or was he just eating raw meat at first to get enough energy to be able to use his powers for a full meal? Right now I don't see what makes him the Inhuman of all Inhumans or a beast worthy of Hydra's worship but maybe it's just because he's not up to full strength?

• Love 2

Chloe Bennett is trying her hardest to make the Daisy/Lincoln relationship work (she was quite fun in the sparring scene) but Lincoln is just plain dull.  Like AV Club noted, he’s about as interesting as first half of Season 1 Ward was.  Though in fairness, even that version of Ward was far more interesting than Lincoln.

• Love 4
I know this will probably be an unpopular opinion here, but I'm quite liking Brett Dalton as Hive.  Not only is he super creepy looking (I love how sunken they made his eyes! They're always in shadow, like the empty sockets of a skull), I really like what Dalton is doing with his voice.  It's soft, detached, and it almost has a humming quality behind it.  Very alien.  I'm not sure how interesting Hive/Hydra's storyline will end up being, but so far I'm appreciating what Brett Dalton is bringing to the part. 

Still not buying the Daisy/Lincoln pairing.  They are so boring together, and Lincoln's heart clearly isn't into being a SHIELD agent. 

Dalton is nicely detached as Hive - good choice of words!  And he talks a lot less, so I'm for that.

That was a hella dull kiss at the end between the two.  The only reason for continued pairing of them is so Hunter can call them Shake & Bake. 

He's one of those "M"-word types they can't mention because Warner Brothers still owns the rights to the X-Men.

For those of limited comic and property rights knowledge, what is the M-word?

I like Lincoln when he's acting as Dr. Lincoln in the lab with FitzSimmons. I'm not as big a fan when he's hothead Agent Lincoln with Daisy.

Dr. Lincoln is much more interesting than BoyToy Lincoln.

I felt like everyone was acting pretty dumb or at least short sighted in this episode. Talbot should have known that Malick would never play ball, and Coulson trusted Talbot completely because they're bros, without even thinking that Hydra could have gotten to him first. Has he learned nothing after all the double agents he's dealt with in this show alone? I also found the whole "he's Hydra!" "no he's Hydra!" to be just silly.

Really Coulson - you tail Talbot to a clearly tense good bye with his wife, you know about his kid, you two are going across the world to a special conference, and you never ask "Where's your kid?"  Maybe cause I am a parent, I always ask when my friends schedules are squirrelly.

• Love 1

Really Coulson - you tail Talbot to a clearly tense good bye with his wife, you know about his kid, you two are going across the world to a special conference, and you never ask "Where's your kid?"  Maybe cause I am a parent, I always ask when my friends schedules are squirrelly.

Even I noticed that part. Glad that the show remembered to circle back to that, even if the head of a spy organization didn't.

I like Hive Ward, but I'm sad that it looks like sucking those humans dry healed his hand shaped sternum bruise. That was cracking me up every time I saw it. I also wondered if Brett Dalton had a case of the giggles or grossed out when the camera stopped rolling and he was covered in that goo. What was that supposed to be?? I can't figure out what his powers are--he blows sandy bits of himself at people, yet it doesn't seem like he's totally controlling Mark Dascascos (sp) or Bright Eyes. Mark is terrified and I see him pushing back at some point against all of this, and Bright Eyes even remarked that those 5 humans were innocents.

• Love 1

I am really bothered that Mutants can't be used outside of Fox. The Marvel world in movies and TV seems so incomplete without them.

I get confused over who owns the rights to which.  It is annoying that they can't cross over, especially considering the general plot of the upcoming Captain America movie is similar to the Mutant Registration Act plot of the very first X-Men movie.

It seems like Marvel Studios has written off ever regaining control of "Mutants" so they're going with Inhumans instead, which are functionally equivalent:  genetic anomaly that can result in unusual powers and / or physical appearance.  Basically "Mutants with the serial numbers filed off".

Yep. Mutants are non existent in the MCU. Fox owns the movie rights to all things mutant/x-men related. Sony has Spider-Man, but smartly went with allowing Marvel to deal with him and just reap the profits. Fox is making too much money with their movies for Marvel to be able to reclaim the rights anytime soon. Which is what has happened over the past few years with Daredevil and a few other characters. And hopefully soon with Fantastic Four.Some of the rights to characters are in a sort of grey area. Like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. They were/are mutants and Avengers. Comics have completely retconned the twins' origins. Making them not mutants and not offspring of Magneto. Which is kind of why I think that Fox got to have Quicksilver for x-men and Marvel has Scarlet Witch for their movies. Split them up to keep the peace. But the comics aren't going to be very new mutant interesting. Why give Fox more stories and not benefit? Any new characters/villians/concepts will be introduced via wholly Marvel controlled comic characters. Would you rather concentrate on work that you get 100% profit or 10% profit?

Edited by stlbf
  • Love 1

I like Daisy when she is being all fun and fight. I know people call her a Mary Sue and whatever but I like her this season. Lincoln on the other hand is just boring. Why do the show runners pair her with boring assholes? That is the problem?

• Love 1

I'm so glad Talbot had an understandable reason for betraying Coulson. They're interactions are too fun for Talbot to be a bad guy. His "Michael Scott" level insensitivity meeting the world leaders was hilarious. I was like "Nooooo!" when Talbot said Coulson was head of Hydra.

This- but I was so irritated by DumbRacistMisogynist Army General stereotype that I didn't consider that- for Talbot- the entire thing was a charade. As far as Talbot's intelligence based on his collaboration with Malick- I think Talbot was playing Malick too, waiting on/ hoping for Creel to locate and rescue Talbot Jr. (hey- why did this remind of Lon Chaney Jr???- wow I need this week to end).

They've started setting up Bobbi and Hunter's spin-off and I'm not happy about it. They bring a lot of comic relief to the show and I love Hunter's relationship with Fitz. They're my brotp and I'm gonna be upset if the show ruins that by having Fitz think Hunter betrayed them. 

Poor Lincoln. I have sympathy for the character and I imagine that Luke Mitchell- though now credited main- on his way to written out status. I don't see any way that he is content transitioning to field agent- death, departure back to incognito Inhuman, or being Tahiti-ied is what seems to await him. Though... if Hive is offering blissful conscience free connection to the single mind... maybe that'll be how Lincoln goes.

And big NO to spin off! I flove Hunter & Bobbi as part of the ensemble. As Hunter ditched the mission and went after Creel, Bobbi was hysterical while she relayed Hunter's MIA status to May. She was so non-drama about it- Hunter's off book? You really expected something else? Ha!

Ward's goo was yucky but I guess BD won't need to spend nearly as much time in makeup from here on out.

While Coulson appeared to be bamboozled by everybody, he really did get everyone where he wanted them. He's got H&B on the plane with Malick, he knows there's someone pulling Malick's strings, he's got a bead on world leaders Inhuman attitudes, and he's created a strong loyal relationship with Talbot. Methinks more stupid like a fox than stupid.

• Love 3

Understandable but dumb. If he thought Malick was ever going to release his son, he's a lot of bricks shy of a load.

Was it really that dumb though? While it's likely true that there was no chance that Malick was going to let his son go, there was a little huge chance that Malick would kill him if Talbot didn't cooperate. By cooperating, Talbot was buying time until his son could be found and rescued. I thought it was heavily implied that Talbot had instructed Creel to look for his son, and that's why Creel was in the truck with the container when Hunter found him.

I get confused over who owns the rights to which. It is annoying that they can't cross over, especially considering the general plot of the upcoming Captain America movie is similar to the Mutant Registration Act plot of the very first X-Men movie.

Marvel had its own Superhero Registration Act in the real Civil War storybook arc, so they're not stealing/copying an X-men storyline. Or at least they aren't doing any additional copying, if you want to argue that the original Civil War storyline from the comics was a repurposing/expanding X-men storyline to fit more of the Marvel universe. In terms of rights, I think Foc only has claims to characters and storylines that originated within the X-Men and Fantastic Four series. Anything beyond that, even if it's tangently related to those properties is with Marvel. Not counting anything Spiderman related obviously. Edited by xqueenfrostine

I still think as well that spinning off Bobbi and Hunter would be a mistake.  Those two have added a lot to the show.  Besides, it's not like the Marvel shows have lit up ABC's ratings, particularly after sitting AOS on the shelf for three months.

It just would be wrong for this show to lose two characters as awesome as Hunter and Bobbi and keep bland Lincoln. 

Also, if you're going to give Daisy a love interest, give her one with an actual personality.

• Love 4

Call me dense, but I don't fully understand what happened to Zombie Ward.  First off, is there a reason why he didn't bother to put a shirt on?  I get that it's so viewers can marvel at the CGI but when he was reintroduced, he was wrapped in a blanket, as if he were cold.  Well then, put on a sweater!

Malick comes in and says that Zombie Ward's body isn't healing, and that perhaps he would like to use Colombian Cop as a new host.  He says he cannot inhabit an Inhuman.  Then he asks for five humans.  Then he dissolves his body or something and presumably absorbs the humans?  We next see him covered in goop and his body is healed.  Somehow the goop (what is it and where did it come from?) made Formerly Zombie Ward's pants disappear, and it also waxed his chest.  

Is there something about Ward's body that was particularly awesome?  Hive just needs a human host, not sure why it wouldn't have just found a new one.  I get that they wanted to keep the actor on the show, but still.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 3

Losing Hunter and Bobbi would be a real loss for the show. I was pretty iffy on them at first (especially Hunter) but they have really grown on me, and they add a lot to the group dynamic. 

I am glad that Talbot turned out not to be a real bad guy, although I cannot tell if his "Worst Diplomat Ever" act at the reception was real or if he was acting like an Ugly American on purpose. Either way, him going around, managing to offend everyone he sees, while Coulson looks on with various long suffering looks, was pretty funny. 

Not enough FitzSimmons for my taste, but I do like Lincoln as the third of the Science Gang. He works better with basically everyone but Daisy. And I like Daisy! 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

The addition of an inhuman vaccine reminds me of the 4400.  Anyone besides me remember that show?  By the end, they had a genetic test that could determine which humans could develop powers, a substance to trigger the powers, and a vaccine to prevent any powers from developing.  Various governmental and culty groups had different plans for these substances, but the theme of the ending was the idea of letting individual people decide for themselves whether to get tested and whether to get the powers.  That could be an interesting focus for this show -- let inhumans decide if they want to change, with tension/conflict coming from people, organizations, and governments trying to force the issue one way or another.

• Love 3

Re Bobbi and Hunter. I love them as a pair and I love them as part of the ensemble. However, I can see a benefit to removing two cast members given that the ensemble is pretty big and that shortchanges character development. Mack wasn't even in last night's episode. Fitz and Simmons were in last night's ep but were mostly there for exposition.

I wish they'd cut Lincoln. I really love Daisy with Mack, Fitz, Simmons. Hell, she's good with everyone except Lincoln. I feel like Chloe Bennett is doing her best to carry their scenes while the guy who plays Lincoln is just sitting there like scenery. Blandly pretty scenery.

I am really bothered that Mutants can't be used outside of Fox. The Marvel world in movies and TV seems so incomplete without them.

I am ok with the mutants staying away. Mostly because Magneto of the movies is probably more powerful than anyone in the MCU and could probably take down the avengers on his own.

I am glad that Talbot turned out not to be a real bad guy, although I cannot tell if his "Worst Diplomat Ever" act at the reception was real or if he was acting like an Ugly American on purpose. Either way, him going around, managing to offend everyone he sees, while Coulson looks on with various long suffering looks, was pretty funny.

I hope it was an act because otherwise it was dumb. I don't think you get to be a general without having at least a bit of political smarts. Speaking of which, if Talbot's posting is so important why is he only a 1 star general?

Agree about Lincoln. Every time they cut to Daisy and Lincoln, I was like oh boy those two again. blah

On the other hand, couples that work: Bobbi and Hunter, Mack and Daisy, May and pretty much anyone.

Also liked Coulson and Talbot, and goes without saying Fitz Simmons.

Another boring couple: Ward-Thing and Malik. I really could not care less about any of that, but I guess you have to have bad guys, right? Too bad they can't bring the baddies from Agent Carter to AoS.

• Love 1

Talbot!  I'm sorry I ever doubted you!  I got all upset when he was the traitor, but I should have known it was because Gideon was holding something over him.  And not only was it an act, but he was prepared for a double-cross, which is why he brought Kreel along!  Risky as hell, but still, yay, Talbot!  I hope he keeps popping in from time to time, because he is a great character to bounce Coulson and the rest off of.

So, Gideon is basically trying to create his own Inhuman army for whatever twisted plan he and Hive Ward have, and is trying to paint Coulson as the bad guy/head of Hydra.  That's one way to do it.  He did seem to win over the one Russian guy, who is played by the actor who seems to always play this type of Russian character.

Fitz and Simmons stumble upon a "cure" for Inhumans, which has got both Daisy and Lincoln on opposite sides.  Hey, it's like a mixture of the story-line from X-Men: The Last Stand with their own version of a "Civil War"  Hmm.....  I'm wondering who will be the Captain and Iron Man in this one.

I honestly forgot that Lincoln is actually suppose to be a doctor.  He really is just wallpaper.  It sucks since I like Luke Mitchell, but he's such a bore.

Did they even mention where Mack was in all of this?  Maybe he was finally getting around to building that chainsaw shotgun...

Bobbi and Hunter managed to hitch a ride with Gideon.  A test run for their spin-off!

Hive Ward now seems to have regain his strengths through the power of sucking up five humans (?) and dowsing himself with maple syrup. I do like that he's freaking out Inhuman Wo Fat.

• Love 1

I am ok with the mutants staying away. Mostly because Magneto of the movies is probably more powerful than anyone in the MCU and could probably take down the avengers on his own.

I hope it was an act because otherwise it was dumb. I don't think you get to be a general without having at least a bit of political smarts. Speaking of which, if Talbot's posting is so important why is he only a 1 star general?

You don't even get to be a Major without being politically as well as book smart with advanced degrees(or at least be an ROTC adviser while working on that advanced degree), but it is TV with its cultural prejudices. Just like the standard "elite"  prejudice where a middle aged spy can trump a 30 year old special forces trooper who can trump a 20 year old in his athletic prime in any hand to hand combat situation.

The problem with mutants isn't that one has been shown with rule of physics defying powers, as Daisy's power, and potentially other Inhumans, has been described by her mother she also has the same level of power even if she only uses a fraction of her potential ability to push people and things away. Where is a Magneto while this is going on is no harder a story telling nut to crack then why don't you call in the Avengers again