Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

(edited)

I agree with those who are saying that this is a cash grab.  Whether it's by KJB or the girls, that's what it is.  If they were concerned with protecting future victims of abuse, they would be suing the Feds to change FIOA laws to protect minor victims by banning the release of any and all information on cases involving juvenile victims.  Instead, they are suing for damages based upon pain inflicted when people found out and commented on the topic at hand.  

This is NOT about protecting people.  It's all about the $$$

In regards to the report itself, I can tell you that I was on the receiving end of an FOIA request a few years back.  I can also say that the review process is thorough.  Nothing is allowed to be released before it's been reviewed with a microscope.  The attorney and all associated parties thoroughly reviewed the documents before release because they do not want anything to come out and bite them in the butt later on.  

The police acted according to law in the manner in which they responded to the FOIA request.  They redacted minor names.  The attorney reviewed the materials before release.  There was nothing illegal here.  And the Duggars KNEW IN ADVANCE that a request was made.  They just didn't expect the backlash that occurred.  

And speaking of backlash, I feel that's why the lawsuit exists in the first place.  They lost 19 KAC because this all got out (with the final straw being the Ashley Madison info).  It's because the truth got out that their livelihood was lost.  So instead of taking the hit and finding lucrative employment elsewhere on what remains of their reputations, they are suing.  Because famewhores can't stay out of the limelight.

Here's the other thing...they are suing government entities to recoup "damages" inflicted upon them.  Well, who do they think is going to come up with the $10 million they are looking for?  Yup, the local taxpayers are going to LOVE them for this when their roads go unpaved and their police are furloughed to make up for the shortfall.  

Edited by Lady Edith
Clarification
  • Love 21

http://www.nwahomepage.com/news/duggar-sisters-suing-city-for-releasing-molestation-documents/717112740

So Jim Bob gives campaign donations to a politician who changes the existing law, to tighten up what records for juveniles can and can't be released, then Jim Bob, sorry, the girls file their suit.  And this is all about suing under a changed law retroactively.  Great.  That's sort of like telling a woman who is 9 months pregnant that you can no longer get pregnant.

Jim Bob is such a sleazy human being.

• Love 5

This is NOT about protecting people.  It's all about the $$$

Right - and if they really felt strongly about this issue they could also volunteer helping other victims of abuse or offer to give any of the suit money to a charity. Not going to happen.  The only DONATE they are aware of is on that half ass missionary wanna be page.  If they think they are going down some righteous path with this lawsuit they may be surprised again about how critical people will be.

• Love 7

In addition, I do kind of feel badly for the girls.  They were born into this cult and had no choice in becoming a part of the TV show.  But it's BECAUSE of this celebrity that this was even a public issue at all.  Like it or not, they are D-level celebrities and used that exposure to show how pure and innocent they all were.   Jim Bob and Michelle did this to them.  And when info was released about their multiple skeletons, as well as the level of misogynistic behavior taking place in their cult and other abuses (blanket training, anyone?) they stood there agape at the notion that anyone would DARE question their family's beliefs.  Or their family in general.  They opened that door.

Regardless of what they think, if you put yourself "out there" in the public light you invite scrutiny.  Look at how many celebs hit the papers because of things that wouldn't even warrant a blip on the radar for a regular Joe.  BECAUSE they are celebs.  

Thst being said, the girls had the perfect opportunity to back out of the Duggar's fame-seeking behavior.  But they didn't.  They AGREED to be interviewed by Fox News and WILLINGLY said that what Josh did was "no big deal".  Becsuse they needed to protect the brand.  Instead, they could've left show business and went private.  But they didn't.  Staying on TV is opening them up to scrutiny.  But it's all they know.  That is why I feel badly for the girls.  They know not what they do.  

• Love 12
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

On the duggar family blog (not run by duggars) they quoted Jill's tweet about the suit but didn't acknowledge that's where it was from.

Does anyone know where this quote on there is from, by chance?

"This case is solely about protecting children who are victims of abuse. Revealing juvenile identities under these circumstances is unacceptable, and it’s against the law. The media and custodians of public records who let these children down must be held accountable. This case has vast implications for all our children. We hope that by bringing this case to the public’s attention, all children will be protected from reckless reporting." 

-Jill Dillard, Jessa Seewald, Jinger Vuolo, and Joy Duggar 

I found the source for the quote.  That is a statement given by Rachel Olis, Marketing Director of the law firm Hare, Winn, Newell, & Newton

In the video here:

http://www.nwahomepage.com/news/duggar-sisters-suing-city-for-releasing-molestation-documents/717112740

• Love 1
On 5/19/2017 at 11:29 AM, MaryAnneSpier said:

I grew up in a very religious household (Assembly of God) and was raped by my boyfriend at 13 years old. Since I had been taught about modesty of clothing so as not to tempt my brothers in Christ and put myself in a situation to be raped, I blamed myself for it. I believed that I had been responsible for his actions because I wasn't covered up enough. Since I had had sex (and apparently was "asking for it" by wearing somewhat form-fitting clothes and sneaking out of the house to meet him) , I was impure and damaged goods. I thought for over a decade that no one would ever want to marry me because I was no longer a virgin. The fact that I did not choose to have sex with him was irrelevant to my mind. So yeah, that's the kind of long-lasting effect these strict Christian sects can have on girls who are victims of sexual assault.

I am very sorry this happened to you. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Catfin said:

I wonder if the spouses are complicit in the filing. Bin is a clueless idiot, Derek should have insight, having been raised in the real world. Jeremy as well. My disgust for these people grows. 

Yet Jessa claims she "married up." smh

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Catfin said:

I wonder if the spouses are complicit in the filing. Bin is a clueless idiot, Derek should have insight, having been raised in the real world. Jeremy as well. My disgust for these people grows. 

According to Rachel Olis, Marketing Director of the law firm Hare, Winn, Newell, & Newton and the 'source' in the story published by Page Six:

"They are hoping for a settlement in the range of $10 million to $15 million.”

So, yeah, I think they are complicit – with dollar signs in their eyeballs.

0 0 1 husbands.jpg

• Love 10

Good. They're zeroing in on the real question, which is why now?

For all practical purposes, except for the leg humpers and the forum-following skeptics (raises hand), this was not only yesterday's news, but three weeks ago last Thursday's news.

So if their bitch is that having this go public was so traumatizing...why wait until it's long over in the public eye to drag it up again?

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

City if Springdale responds: 

FB_IMG_1495312958263.jpg

Whooaa!

So, this is the second time they have sued the City of Springdale to get money from the city for releasing the police reports?  And, they lost that lawsuit!!

"The City of Springdale was pleased to prevail in a previous legal action regarding the release of information related to this matter. As we stated nearly two years ago, the city takes seriously its responsibilities to the public under the FOIA as well as its obligations to protect the privacy of victims. With this obligation,the city made the family aware of the Freedom of Information Act Request for the police report and kept the family regularly informed of the status of the request prior to the production of the redacted report.

"It is unfortunate that now, at this late date, the Plaintiffs have chosen to file a misguided lawsuit against dedicated public servants and seeking damages from public tax dollars."

Note, this is a new update to the article:

Well, this just gets curiouser and curiouser.  I want to read a copy of the first lawsuit.

• Love 10
Just now, Oldernowiser said:

So if their bitch is that having this go public was so traumatizing...why wait until it's long over in the public eye to drag it up again?

The statute of limitations to sue was most likely running out. IMHO of course.

• Love 2
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Mollie said:

According to Rachel Olis, Marketing Director of the law firm Hare, Winn, Newell, & Newton and the 'source' in the story published by Page Six:

"They are hoping for a settlement in the range of $10 million to $15 million.”

So, yeah, I think they are complicit – with dollar signs in their eyeballs.

0 0 1 husbands.jpg

Well, you can "hope for" whatever you want. But a judge or a jury decides how much money you get. I've been on a couple juries that had to decide on monetary awards. And 1) we were never told how much people were "asking for." We were left to decide the various awards on our own, from scratch.

And 2) both juries were pretty darned pinchpenny during the couple days it took to decide on the awards -- even though in both cases we all thoroughly agreed that the plaintiffs had been materially harmed and deserved cash compensation and that the defendants deserved some cash punishment as well.

The word "millions," even at the lowest end, was regarded quite skeptically by virtually all the jurors. And I live in a much higher-rent district than northwest Arkansas. And the plaintiffs we were dealing with were working folks with families to support just like everybody else. And they had clearly suffered because of somebody's misbehavior.

When I try to imagine how those two juries would have regarded a bunch of 20-something TeeVee Stahs who always seem to be on vacation and famously plan to have double-digit numbers of children without getting high school diplomas or, apparently, jobs, I laugh at the stuff that probably would have been said about how much money they ought to get. And about what the final number was likely to have been. ....

I also have a feeling that the arguments about how they're doing this for all the other vulnerable children might have gotten factored in in a way that would not please the Duggars. .... As in -- "We so appreciate that you've brought this case to publicize this serious issue. We therefore award you one dollar in symbolic compensation, since we know you aren't in it for the money but to make an important and public-spirited point."

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 14
8 minutes ago, Missy Vixen said:

The statute of limitations to sue was most likely running out. IMHO of course.

Right...but then why not file 18 months ago? Why not after the show was semi sorta cancelled? Or more to their claim of moral outrage, why not that very second? If I'm that thoroughly and righteously pissed, I go after them then. It's not like they didn't have the money to hire some other Huckabee suckup lawyer two years ago.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Right...but then why not file 18 months ago? Why not after the show was semi sorta cancelled? Or more to their claim of moral outrage, why not that very second? If I'm that thoroughly and righteously pissed, I go after them then. It's not like they didn't have the money to hire some other Huckabee suckup lawyer two years ago.

Exactly. All this does is dredge up all the drama once again. JB is so bad at PR, my God. The general public seems to have forgotten about the scandal, and they have their show (well, a version of it) back. They're back to getting positive publicity from all the weddings/births/courtships. Josh has been lying low for months now. They should have filed soon after the first show ended.

Not that I know jack shit about the legal system (although I do watch a lot of People's Court lol), but can't it be argued that the leaking of the files didn't affect their livelihood as much as they claim, since they once again have steady income from the new show?

Thanks to you all who pointed out the statute of limitations is up soon. I didn't know that.

• Love 10

Well, now we know that this is the second time that the Duggars have sued the city,so Boob hasn't been sitting on his hands the entire time. He also  had to find some entertainment lawyers to be able to handle the tabloid, and they likely had to be Christian. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

It's not the memories of the abuse that is painful.  Remember the brainwashing.  If they suffered pain it was because now all their likeminded Gothardite friends knew that the girls were brazen temptresses who lured their brother into committing vile acts, proving to the world that the girls were not Godly enough.  It also exposed their parents to negative publicity that they didn't deserve, being the most Godly, wonderful parents ever,  They will have to claim these things as the cause of their anguish and see how a jury feels about it.

I don't doubt the girls felt pain and anguish over what happened when the reports became public, its just that they are not programmed to feel pain and anguish over the molestation, which is what most of us would feel in that circumstance.

They also said to Megyn Kellly that this was common and happens in many of their Gothard friends' families.

• Love 3
Just now, Oldernowiser said:

They didn't have a damage award to the guy whose identity Josh stole 18 months ago. I seem to remember something about homeowner's insurance paying for damages incurred in a lawsuit but I am wondering if whatever Joshley Madison ends up socked with would be excluded on his parents' policy.

14 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

They also said to Megyn Kellly that this was common and happens in many of their Gothard friends' families.

"Two-thirds of families," according to Dr. Jill. 

• Love 5
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

"Two-thirds of families," according to Dr. Jill. 

Kind of goes toward demonstrating that it's all normal and nothing to be embarrassed about, seems like. 

OMG, what morons. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 14
9 minutes ago, Missy Vixen said:

I am wondering if whatever Joshley Madison ends up socked with would be excluded on his parents' policy.

Most assuredly it isn't covered on Jim Bob and Michelle's policy since Josh was quite an adult legally by the time he perpetrated that particular fraud.

• Love 3
Just now, Absolom said:

Most assuredly it isn't covered on Jim Bob and Michelle's policy since Josh was quite an adult legally by the time he perpetrated that particular fraud.

That's RIGHT.  He was living with Anna in their house...

Hoooooo-boy. Here it comes, Joshley!

Just now, sometimesy said:

I would like a peek at the law firm fee arrangement.

One has to wonder if they found a lawyer who would make a contingency agreement with them. The lawyer in question can't be the sharpest pencil in the pack and will be going up against some big-time legal talent; In Touch's owners most likely have the best money can buy.

• Love 1
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Missy Vixen said:

One has to wonder if they found a lawyer who would make a contingency agreement with them. The lawyer in question can't be the sharpest pencil in the pack and will be going up against some big-time legal talent; In Touch's owners most likely have the best money can buy.

I'm really puzzled about the lawyer. Jim Bob must have gotten him through political connections because the guy is quite experienced, has 

been heavily involved in Republican politics and was a managing partner at Arent Fox until he left to start a new firm. He is a trial lawyer and has entertainment-law experience, so I guess that's why whoever handed him to Jim Bob did it, but that's pretty clearly not his main interest. And he definitely has credentials in the international-law arena, he writes about policy and political matters all the time. ..... He was a JAG, he also worked at Skadden Arps, and he held several State Department posts under Bush II, worked for the UN....

It seems like a very odd fit. Although I suppose most of this case will be left up to underlings. I wonder whether he intends to be the lead litigator. It all just seems very very weird. And I really really really wonder what skeleton's location JB is hanging over whose head to have gotten them to send this guy his way. (Although I guess since he's slightly out of his preferred field here, he may not be the very best lawyer JB could have landed. .?? ) very odd, though. I notice we share some LinkedIn connections. Maybe I should shoot him an InMail and ask him what the heck gives. 

His credentials,if maybe out of field, are far from unimpressive. Quite the opposite, on paper anyway. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, JoanArc said:

Does anyone get the feeling there could be a bigger scandal about to drop, and the need to grift hay while the sun shines?

There seems to be a heavy whiff of desperation from some source ............ I picture Jim Bob twisting somebody's arm to get the LA lawyer with a resume, for example. Because he surely didn't know this guy. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

There seems to be a heavy whiff of desperation from some source ............ I picture Jim Bob twisting somebody's arm to get the LA lawyer with a resume, for example. Because he surely didn't know this guy. 

It just makes me wonder...what if Josh really did that robbery....or bought that gun...or something much worse. 

Oh, on another note, I'm sure Austin is thrilled to marry into a family with a public crisis and a recently exposed abuse survivor. 

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, Missy Vixen said:

Didn't somebody on here say they had lawyers from California? How would the Duggars get them? I wonder if TLC helps them with legal matters. 

• Love 5

If Mr. Honcho Lawyer just started his own firm and mostly lives in the Christo-fundie bubble, he may have only seen a high-profile fundie client with photogenic victims and a shit-ton of billable hours spent whining about fake news, the liberal media, and religious persecution and salivated. The really expensive ones don't care much if they win or lose as long as they get paid and get to strut their egos at the same time.

My real question is how TLC is reacting to this. Behind closed doors, I suspect there's a fair amount of WTF-ing going on.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, babyhouseman said:

Didn't somebody on here say they had lawyers from California? How would the Duggars get them? I wonder if TLC helps them with legal matters. 

(I posted on this up above.) .... The lawyer has heavy-duty conservative political connections.(So I think it's much more likely that JB got him through the political realm than through TLC. Very heavy duty political connections, in fact. 

• Love 2

Page Six said CNN and Megyn Kelly now of NBC are wanting interviews with the Duggar women. I wonder if they are going to do interviews with the mainstream media. I assumed they did it with Fox News because they are so holy and righteous(said with sarcasm).

• Love 6
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

If Mr. Honcho Lawyer just started his own firm and mostly lives in the Christo-fundie bubble, he may have only seen a high-profile fundie client with photogenic victims and a shit-ton of billable hours spent whining about fake news, the liberal media, and religious persecution and salivated. The really expensive ones don't care much if they win or lose as long as they get paid and get to strut their egos at the same time.

My real question is how TLC is reacting to this. Behind closed doors, I suspect there's a fair amount of WTF-ing going on.

No, he doesn't live in the fundie bubble. He's spent many years in DC, in Switzerland working with the UN, and he's a Berkeley grad. In fact, he doesn't appear to be in the fundie bubble at all, except to the extent that that bubble somewhat overlaps with the conservative pol bubble -- but his conservative connections aren't fundies. 

It's mysterious. I suppose he may see this as an ego thing because don't they all. But he really has previously worked wiht a much much much higher class of conservatives then JB. And I don't see evidence of any other fundies in any of his material. I see Romney, Bush, etc. 

And the LinkedIn connections that he and I share are all international-affairs people -- lawyers, professors, DC think tank people. Not fundies. It's just odd. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1

The Duggars, it seems, just love to sue departments of state and local governments.  Here's a lawsuit from 2007:

"The Josh Duggar molestation case did not end when Springdale, Ark. police closed their investigation in 2006 because the statute of limitations had run out, In Touch Weekly is reporting exclusively.

"Police referred the matter to the Families in Need of Services agency, which has jurisdiction over minors. The Department of Human Services (DHS) was then brought into the case, In Touch has learned. Nine months after those agencies entered the Duggar molestation case, Josh Duggar sued the Arkansas Department of Human Services. A trial was held on August 6, 2007.

"The results of the investigation into the Duggars and Josh’s trial are sealed. But a source familiar with the Duggar investigation told In Touch it was likely that Josh “appealed the DHS decision or finding from their investigation.” The source notes that DHS had the authority to apply “restrictions or stipulations about him being at home with the victims.

"'Josh would be considered an in-home offender, giving DHS the authority to do an investigation. As part of your appeal rights you can request a DHS hearing to challenge what they found and their ruling.'

"The Duggars are refusing to comment on the intervention by either department and Josh’s trial against DHS. They also are refusing to say if their family was monitored by a state agency after the 2007 actions and forced to undergo counseling by a licensed mental health professional." 

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/duggar-molestation-case-another-bombshell-revealed-josh-sued-the-arkansas-department-of-human-services-59201

Of course we now know that Josh and his victims underwent professional counseling sessions with the DHS beginning in 2006. We also know that in Arkansas, you cannot homeschool kids if there is an in-home sexual offender living in the household, unless it is only the offender who is being schooled.  (Josh was finished with homeschooling at that time.)  All of this took place when TLC was hard at work finishing the Duggars' new house in Tontitown (moved in January 20, 2006) and filming the Duggars' Pre-series TV shows, which aired on March 13, 15, and June 11 of 2006 and September 22, 2007.  During that whole time, the family was under investigation and being monitored by DHS. They were raking in the TLC cash while pretending to be the model parents with their little ducks kids all in a row spouting Bible versus.

When the Duggars state that "it was all taken care of" what they really mean is that it was all swept under the carpet where they presumed that no one would ever find it. 

• Love 19
(edited)
53 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

Page Six said CNN and Megyn Kelly now of NBC are wanting interviews with the Duggar women. I wonder if they are going to do interviews with the mainstream media. I assumed they did it with Fox News because they are so holy and righteous(said with sarcasm).

At least Fox is NOT fake news.  We know it's fair and balanced.  Whew, what a relief.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 13
50 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

I wonder whether TLC would really think there's any such thing as bad publicity? I expect they've been reluctant even to kick off their various child molesters, really. I mean -- it's all about the drama, right?

So maybe an absurd legal case that gets attention from Page Six and interview bids from CNN and NBC is mostly good news. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

It is sad these girls were abused and I think many agree it was horrible how Boob and Meechele didn't treat it seriously.  That said, their life is public and its only out because they didn't follow through with the PD and have Josh arrested/punished/treated.  Meechele has done robocalls about the dangers of sexual abuse of children by letting trans folks use the bathroom of their preference.  Listen you cow, your son molested *5* victims that we KNOW about and one was 5 fucking years old.  I am pissed that they allowed him around ANY women/girls unchaperoned.  I don't like that he has access to his daughters to this day.  He never got treatment so how are we to know he is not a dangerous man right now?  We don't.  The girls are entitled to their feelings and if they feel it isn't a big deal what Josh did to THEM then that is their choice but they had information about their brother being someone who cannot keep his digits to himself and I find them all guilty of not protecting OTHER innocent people.  The non related person?  I would like that person to sue the Duggars.  We know they approve of someone who was accused/convicted of anal rape.  Gothard has been sued for being a sexual predator.  Their issues are larger than In Touch releasing a redacted report.  The parents and Josh brought this all on their family.  The girls are suing the wrong people.  I am thinking of the release of the redacted report a public service so EVERYONE knows Josh is not to be trusted around little girls alone.  They also know that Meechele and Boob aren't to be trusted because their judgement about who is and isn't safe around kids is really fucked up.

My uncle sexually abused his sister (my mom) and her twin.  I didn't find out until I was 35ish.  Because of my grandparents (and parents) protecting this asshole WE were all left alone with him.  My grandparents had a similar attitude to the Duggars, it happens in other families its not a big deal.  I don't THINK he did anything to either me or my sisters or my cousins but we should have been protected JUST LIKE the other Duggar girls and their associates.  Besides this example, a friend in HS had abused his little sister for YEARS.  Once she moved in with her father and step mother THEY took it seriously, excised the abuser from the family, got her help, and told the schools if he ever comes to see her they are to call the police.  You don't just put a lock on the bedroom doors and make the girls wear leggings under their dresses.

This yes! All of this yes! You've said it so much better that I ever could.

• Love 4

I have to wonder if they told him this is the final season, so he said screw it and filed the suit. A solid month of listening to JimBob petition for a child molestor to run amok on cable tv might have turned ol Nancy to the light side of the force. Better late than never.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

I have to wonder if they told him this is the final season, so he said screw it and filed the suit. A solid month of listening to JimBob petition for a child molestor to run amok on cable tv might have turned ol Nancy to the light side of the force. Better late than never.

Well, whatever else is going on and whether it's because the show is canceled or even if it's not, I guess we do know that there have to be money concerns. He just has way too many non-employed, half-employed, half-ass-employed, employed-for-how-much-longer? will-they-ever-be-employed-again? people. Plus pregnant people etc. It seems that on some level Jim Bob actually wants it that way. But at the same time, somebody has to pay for them. And pay to fly them around in airplanes and so on. People can talk all they want about the real-estate holdings, but a lot of them seem to be of the tumbledown shack variety, don't they? 

I'm skeptical of the idea that Nance didn't want Joshley back though. I think she might reasonably expect at least a short-term ratings bonanza from that, actually. And I have a hard time seeing her hesitate if she has the least suspicion that that might happen. 

All of this will be answered fairly soon, I guess. 

• Love 8

I feel like this whole lawsuit is because someone (JB or his lawyers) read up on the Gawker/Hulk Hogan lawsuit and figured they could cash in too. The big thing to remember there though was that it wasn't Hogan alone-Gawker was being targeted by Peter Thiel, venture capitalist, potential vampire*, and who was outed by Gawker media many years earlier. He stewed on that, and when the Hogan sex tape leaked, Thiel offered to bankroll the lawsuit, because this was his chance to get back at Gawker.

So it would not shock me at all if someone in CA who has a grudge against InTouch is pulling the strings. Has InTouch insulted Peter Thiel recently? (mostly joking there).

*Peter Thiel believes that if he gets regular injections of young blood he will extend his lifespan. He's a pair of sharpened incisors away from being Dracula. 

• Love 2
(edited)

The Duggars (especially JB and Michelle) are grifters to their core. Even if they had guaranteed seasons and TLC money for the next twenty years, JB would probably try to squeeze some money out of this situation if he thought there was even a small chance he could. This is a man who spent $250,000 on a losing political campaign while neighbors and church members left "love offerings" of food for his 13 (or so?) kids on the step to their three bedroom house. If he sees any opportunity to grift, he's gonna try. Grifters gonna grift/Duggars gonna Dugg.

ETA: The Duggars and their ilk likely also see suing InTouch as a way to perpetuate the narrative they want to push or already buy into that "Christians" & conservatives are "persecuted" by the ebil liberal media.  

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 13
45 minutes ago, questionfear said:

I feel like this whole lawsuit is because someone (JB or his lawyers) read up on the Gawker/Hulk Hogan lawsuit and figured they could cash in too. The big thing to remember there though was that it wasn't Hogan alone-Gawker was being targeted by Peter Thiel, venture capitalist, potential vampire*, and who was outed by Gawker media many years earlier. He stewed on that, and when the Hogan sex tape leaked, Thiel offered to bankroll the lawsuit, because this was his chance to get back at Gawker.

So it would not shock me at all if someone in CA who has a grudge against InTouch is pulling the strings. Has InTouch insulted Peter Thiel recently? (mostly joking there).

*Peter Thiel believes that if he gets regular injections of young blood he will extend his lifespan. He's a pair of sharpened incisors away from being Dracula. 

Hey, I wondered where the immortal Drac was these day. Now...Thiel.... Of course. Should've guessed. 

Good question about who else InTouch might have enraged. That would explain getting a fairly high-profile Cali/DC lawyer. Wonder if there's anybody with political connections .... although InTouch doesn't seem to hang out in that territory, do they? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, whatever else is going on and whether it's because the show is canceled or even if it's not, I guess we do know that there have to be money concerns. He just has way too many non-employed, half-employed, half-ass-employed, employed-for-how-much-longer? will-they-ever-be-employed-again? people. Plus pregnant people etc. It seems that on some level Jim Bob actually wants it that way. But at the same time, somebody has to pay for them. And pay to fly them around in airplanes and so on. People can talk all they want about the real-estate holdings, but a lot of them seem to be of the tumbledown shack variety, don't they? 

I'm skeptical of the idea that Nance didn't want Joshley back though. I think she might reasonably expect at least a short-term ratings bonanza from that, actually. And I have a hard time seeing her hesitate if she has the least suspicion that that might happen. 

All of this will be answered fairly soon, I guess. 

I wonder if Boob is still getting a sizeable check from the cellphone tower that's sitting on his property?

5 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

I wonder if Boob is still getting a sizeable check from the cellphone tower that's sitting on his property?

Word on the street is that he isn't because he's out in the boonies.  The big money from towers comes if you are close to or in a big city.

• Love 2