Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

A disillusioned teenager who claims to be living in the ATI world has started a reddit thread where he invites people to ask questions. Duggars are discussed, especially Jana. Poor girl. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/casualiama/comments/3sm9y1/iama_16_year_old_male_who_is_in_the_duggar/

I am so unsure about this.  It almost sounds like all the information we've been reading about them over the years reformulated into this thread.  

• Love 3

The only "new info" I could gather from that thread was that Gothardites supposedly practice shunning as a form of punishment/emotional blackmail to make their children fall in line. I haven't come across that tidbit anywhere else. Oh, and that Jana wanted to go to New York and be an engineer (?!) and apparently dealt with the sin of lust which, if it's true, GO JANA! I don't think the thread OP is the read deal however, he sounds off somehow. Besides, I thought Journey to the Heart was for girls only, yet he claims to have been there?

• Love 2

There's a male JTH. I had to change my panties after looking at the hot studs that go there:

2013-June-Guys-Journey-Pic-531x425.jpg

Do you know if this was from a few years ago?  The one second from the right looks like Chad Paine (Erin Bates Paine's husband).  I didn't know they had male JTH. Of course the male Duggars get to do a boy scouts, militaryesque training and the girls go to reprogramming.  

Do you know if this was from a few years ago? The one second from the right looks like Chad Paine (Erin Bates Paine's husband). I didn't know they had male JTH. Of course the male Duggars get to do a boy scouts, militaryesque training and the girls go to reprogramming.

Quite a few have David Waller or one of his equally vanilla brothers kneeling next to the front and centre guy. Maybe it's a special spot.

The ALERT Christian militia "Boy Scout" thing doesn't sound very pleasant.

Edited by Kokapetl

Do you know if this was from a few years ago?  The one second from the right looks like Chad Paine (Erin Bates Paine's husband).  I didn't know they had male JTH. Of course the male Duggars get to do a boy scouts, militaryesque training and the girls go to reprogramming.  

I just google image searched male journey to the heart - there's pictures of lots of classes.

JTH=Brainwasing

ALERT=Gay Cure/Job for Unemployed Girly Men

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 2

TLC may be able to amp up interest in their specials with a huge change in production and editing. Just expose them, rather than promote them. People has taken subtle jabs at them in the past. This might get them more bang for their filming buck. Would the Duggars voluntarily go away if they found themselves in this situation?

• Love 10

I just google image searched male journey to the heart - there's pictures of lots of classes.

JTH=Brainwasing

ALERT=Gay Cure/Job for Unemployed Girly Men

Colour me shocked at the diversity in that photo. And yes, its Chadly in the pic. I have a theory on the classification system with the green vs blue polos.
  • Love 3

TLC may be able to amp up interest in their specials with a huge change in production and editing. Just expose them, rather than promote them. People has taken subtle jabs at them in the past. This might get them more bang for their filming buck. Would the Duggars voluntarily go away if they found themselves in this situation?

Money is money, and the Duggars will go to certain lengths for money, but TLC want a show that's evergreen, so they can't do anything too negative. They don't want any holes in their programming lineup. There's only so many little people in the world.

It'd be worthwhile sending some of the older unmarried children out in the reality tv "real world" AKA free housing rigged with tv cameras and fake jobs.

Jana, John-David, Jinger, Joseph and Josiah are more interesting to me compared to their married off Stepford sisters.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 5

Money is money, and the Duggars will go to certain lengths for money, but TLC want a show that's evergreen, so they can't do anything too negative. They don't want any holes in their programming lineup. There's only so many little people in the world.

It'd be worthwhile sending some of the older unmarried children out in the reality tv "real world" AKA free housing rigged with tv cameras and fake jobs.

I wonder if the Duggar klan would sell themselves out for the right/excessive amount of money?

Agree. TLC had a specific reason for airing the mini-golf dry-humping footage. If they were truly interested in showing the Duggars to best advantage, that never would have seen the light of day. And that last episode in May? The one just before the molestation news became widespread? That was definitely put together in an odd way. I think Boob believes that TLC is on his side, but in reality TLC is only on TLC's side. They can reasonably expect better ratings, especially now, by airing a lot of what Boob & Me-chelle would probably not want seen. I'm guessing we'll see some of the "Duggars Give Back" - when they all brought supplies to some kind of community food pantry and pretended to load up a needy family with goodies. Makes me wonder how much control, if any, Boob has over what gets on air - and what doesn't. My own guess is - not a whole lot.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 6

Agree. TLC had a specific reason for airing the mini-golf dry-humping footages. If they were truly interested in showing the Duggars to best advantage, that never would have seen the light of day. And that last episode in May? The one just before the molestation news became widespread? That was definitely put together in an odd way. I think Boob believes that TLC is on his side, but in reality TLC is only on TLC's side. They can reasonably expect better ratings, especially now, by airing a lot of what Boob & Me-chelle would probably not want seen. I'm guessing we'll see some of the "Duggars Give Back" - when they all brought supplies to some kind of community food pantry and pretended to load up a needy family with goodies. Makes me wonder how much control, if any, Boob has over what gets on air - and what doesn't. My own guess is - not a whole lot.

Interesting idea - what does Boob have control over?  If the two girls signed over control to him, does that mean TLC would give him editing access, maybe not final control?  Is he behind the scenes at as many of the tapings as he can?  Are the "helpers" sent for the purpose of reporting back?  so he can say "um Jill, I heard you said to the camera "blabbedy blabbedy".  That's not something we talk about. Can you go back and tell them you rethought that part and want to redo?"  Or are they all on their own and he is wringing his hands wondering how it is going to play out.  Since they supposedly don't watch TV, do they watch their own shows?  I'm thinking yes they do.  And, they watch more TV than they let on.

• Love 4

I mentioned a month or back that the poolhouse was purchased to be utilized for filming. Something tells me they (TLC) didn't want these specials filmed at the TTH.

But JB WILL have his ugly mug in there as much as possible. He's a Control freak but i think TLC is driving the bus on these experimental specials and they know the less JB and his idiotic wife the better. They know that most ppl blame the parents for neglect.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 5

From the comments on some of the posts it seems as though their like minded peer group likes the name and know who Spurgeon was. We are all not like minded.

Personally, I doubt most of the leg humpers ever heard of Spurgeon. Most likely they googled him so they'd sound educated when they posted their Duggar ass kissing comments.

• Love 8

I think that TLC will probably want to relegate Boob and Mechelle to supporting roles but those two will fight tooth and nail for every second they can get. I'm sure that we will see shots of Mechelle making a teary speech at Jessa's baby shower and Boob "blessing" the Dillards before they "leave". 

Cue poking yourself in the eye to make tears in three..two..one...

• Love 5

I'm sure that we will see shots of Mechelle making a teary speech at Jessa's baby shower and Boob "blessing" the Dillards before they "leave". 

Cue poking yourself in the eye to make tears in three..two..one...

Boob's nose hairs are still trying to grow back.

J-Chelle's an expert at tearless "crying" already.

• Love 1

Personally, I doubt most of the leg humpers ever heard of Spurgeon. Most likely they googled him so they'd sound educated when they posted their Duggar ass kissing comments.

A lot of the comments seem more sock-puppet than leg humper. Especially on the family facebook. Makes ya go hmmm.

• Love 3

TLC isn't going to give up editing control to reality families. 

I think it's been reported that Jim Bob authorizes the final cut. Not so much editing, but he could refuse to air a show if it wasn't presented correctly.

• Love 1

Far more powerful and lucrative tv stars don't have that sort of control over content/editing, I can't see JimBob having it. He's not a producer and he wouldn't know how to argue with a team of producers.

When the Smuggars moved to DC all he could actually do to express his displeasure was delay their furniture delivery by a single day by absconding with it with a BS side trip to the Bates. TLC supported the Smuggars in DC by having them be the B storylines, I doubt JimBob was on board with that either, if he had any input that would not have happened.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 8

A disillusioned teenager who claims to be living in the ATI world has started a reddit thread where he invites people to ask questions. Duggars are discussed, especially Jana. Poor girl. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/casualiama/comments/3sm9y1/iama_16_year_old_male_who_is_in_the_duggar/

Thanks for the link,  I think he's being sincere and I hope he's able to get out.  I think with technology there will be a lot more of these kids finding out about the regular world and planning ways to escape.

• Love 2

I wonder if the Duggar klan would sell themselves out for the right/excessive amount of money?

Oh, sweetie. Bless your gentle heart.

I'll just say that given the right circumstances they'd sell themselves out for a bucket of extra crispy with extra sides.

• Love 6

Oh, sweetie. Bless your gentle heart.

I'll just say that given the right circumstances they'd sell themselves out for a bucket of extra crispy with extra sides.

I knew the answer I just wanted someone else to say it. If someone offered them multi millions they would tell every dirty little secret.

I think only Josh would do it, I think he's clearly ended up the most damaged from JimChelle's parenting, and his life is irreparably destroyed from his inability to function in the real world, but no one wants to pay him that sort of money. Perhaps Anna might do it, but only if Josh felt the same way.

What the family really needs is independent, separate counseling, followed by group independent family counseling. As much as I like to snark about and wish they would go away, I more like to see them get help. When I say independent I mean not related to Church or group they belong to.

• Love 4

I fear Josh is the most damaged to this point. I fear as the kids get older it may come out that they have messed up some of the others this badly or worse.

I see Josh as a "prototype" that got more than his fair share of parental attention before the molestations, and probably nearly monopolized their attention afterwards. He kinda needed Josie levels of "remedial" attention from Jimchelle. The kids in between were scrutinized for potential Josh type behavior, especially the older ones, but otherwise were neglected to varying degrees. Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 2

The only "new info" I could gather from that thread was that Gothardites supposedly practice shunning as a form of punishment/emotional blackmail to make their children fall in line. I haven't come across that tidbit anywhere else. Oh, and that Jana wanted to go to New York and be an engineer (?!) and apparently dealt with the sin of lust which, if it's true, GO JANA! I don't think the thread OP is the read deal however, he sounds off somehow. Besides, I thought Journey to the Heart was for girls only, yet he claims to have been there?

IF true (big "IF" here I know), maybe the poster means "sound engineer".  

Not that that doesn't require an understanding of science beyond that which Jana has, but I can imagine some situation where a crew member talked it up to her as a job.

• Love 1

Interesting idea - what does Boob have control over?  If the two girls signed over control to him, does that mean TLC would give him editing access, maybe not final control?  Is he behind the scenes at as many of the tapings as he can?  Are the "helpers" sent for the purpose of reporting back?  so he can say "um Jill, I heard you said to the camera "blabbedy blabbedy".  That's not something we talk about. Can you go back and tell them you rethought that part and want to redo?"  Or are they all on their own and he is wringing his hands wondering how it is going to play out.  Since they supposedly don't watch TV, do they watch their own shows?  I'm thinking yes they do.  And, they watch more TV than they let on.

Agree - I think the Duggars do watch their own show. At the very least Boob and Me-chelle do. Maybe Grandma too. Maybe now the married couples as well. I do think Boob orders changes when he doesn't like what he sees, but I doubt he always gets them. I also doubt he has much in the way of final say either. He takes TLC's $$, and bottom line, if he wants that to continue, he has to Put Up and Shut Up. They get final say - because they've paid for it.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 3

Agree - I think the Duggars do watch their own show. At the very least Boob and Me-chelle do. Maybe Grandma too. Maybe now the married couples as well. I do think Boob orders changes when he doesn't like what he sees, but I doubt he always gets them. I also doubt he has much in the way of final say either. He takes TLC's $$, and bottom line, if he wants that to continue, he has to Put Up and Shut Up. They get final say - because they've paid for it.

I don't think he has any say over what gets shown -- although I do think that there are rules for filming -- like no kids in pajamas (not that they wear them) or simple baseline rules like that.

I think that our concepts of this are colored by our own perceptions. When I watch the show, I can't believe that they would allow xyz to be shown, but I don't think that they see that at all. I think that when JB watches the show he is filled with nothing but pride. He sees a model family -- one that we all are either trying to copy, or one that causes us to feel tremendous envy. When they showed that scene of him humping J'chelle on the golf course that had all of us reaching for barf bags, he saw a happily married couple who are still deeply in love after 30 years. When we look at Jana saddled with raising her younger siblings, he sees a dutiful daughter pitching in and doing her bit to help out around the house. When we look at J'chelle and see a completely disengaged mother, he sees a busy mom delegating some of her responsibilities.

• Love 22

I don't think he has any say over what gets shown -- although I do think that there are rules for filming -- like no kids in pajamas (not that they wear them) or simple baseline rules like that.

I think that our concepts of this are colored by our own perceptions. When I watch the show, I can't believe that they would allow xyz to be shown, but I don't think that they see that at all. I think that when JB watches the show he is filled with nothing but pride. He sees a model family -- one that we all are either trying to copy, or one that causes us to feel tremendous envy. When they showed that scene of him humping J'chelle on the golf course that had all of us reaching for barf bags, he saw a happily married couple who are still deeply in love after 30 years. When we look at Jana saddled with raising her younger siblings, he sees a dutiful daughter pitching in and doing her bit to help out around the house. When we look at J'chelle and see a completely disengaged mother, he sees a busy mom delegating some of her responsibilities.

The show is kinda like the Wizard of Oz we aren't allowed to look behind the curtain, but whose the Wizard? The producers or JBob, or a combination thereof.

• Love 2

but will change all the diapers for the princess as they scrape omelets from a paper plate that Jana made but Michelle wrote their names on. In Sharpie marker. 

This is a great post, SomePity, but forgot to add this about the above when I first read it - didn't Michelle (or whomever) have to stop and think about this for a minute?

You have to write names on your GROWN kids' plates - to make sure that they are cleaning their plates?!?!?!?

Makes you wonder, really, if the family has any structures in place for noticing and treating children accordingly, when they ARE grown adults.  

• Love 3

Makes you wonder, really, if the family has any structures in place for noticing and treating children accordingly, when they ARE grown adults.  

This is why I believe the Duggars are just massive control freaks, not "religious" or anything else. When people are total control freaks, they simply do not recognize the adulthood or agency of their children. Period. Children are among the people you own, and the people you own are puppets, nothing else. Plus, you manipulate these children their whole lives so that many if not all of them accept this treatment to at least some degree.

• Love 10