Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

Don't know how unpopular it is or even if it is but I needed a place to put it.

A good presitige drama does not need more then five seasons to tell a good story. Almost every fantastic prestige drama I have seen went on a steady decline after season 5.

I believe if the show is getting 22-24 episodes a season, you don't even need five.  Three will do.  

• Love 8

I believe if the show is getting 22-24 episodes a season, you don't even need five. Three will do.  

With so many shows having shorter seasons in the last few years, I wonder if networks are going to rethink their syndication deals, which is where they make most of their money. It would take a decade for a show with 10 episodes per season to make it to the magic 100 number.

Can I sit at your table Enigma X? I like Lincoln too. I don't understand why his character gets so much dislike.

I also love Major on izombie and I like him and Liv together. And I don't care about Lowell or her latest boyfriend Drake and I don't care that they were killed off. People still cry about Lowell and it's been almost two years. Let it go.

• Love 3

With so many shows having shorter seasons in the last few years, I wonder if networks are going to rethink their syndication deals, which is where they make most of their money. It would take a decade for a show with 10 episodes per season to make it to the magic 100 number.

I always forget about syndication - good point.  I wonder when that model will evolve.  How many shows from the last 5 years or so have made it to syndication?

It seems it's more like netflix and hulu are picking up the shows for themselves, rather than going right to syndication. Neither really care if the show is 100 episodes. 

This is probably because I watch a lot of them, but talk shows seem to exemplify this. Like, if you were a Letterman fan you automatically disliked Leno and Kimmel even though you didn't really watch their shows.

I think this is more of a Late Night wars thing.  And I disagree  with where the lines are drawn. If you like Letterman, then you tend to like everybody else even if you don't watch them all regularly and hate Leno.  This is mostly because the current generation mostly points to Letterman as the host that influenced them as a kid. I don't know if people that like Leno like the others. I've never met anyone that would admit to liking Leno despite his ratings.

I would say that for those that remember and on Carson's and Letterman's side during the first Late Night wars, the second Late Night wars endeared Conan and Kimmel to them if they hadn't really watched them much before.

• Love 1
I've never met anyone that would admit to liking Leno despite his ratings.

Oh, I will.  The only late-night TV I watch regularly is The Daily Show, so I only saw his version of The Tonight Show the few times I took out-of-town guests to a taping at their request, but I think his middle-of-the-road comedy absolutely has a place on television.  Although I'm generally drawn to "edgier" comedy, and would have chosen Letterman's show if I was going to watch one of the two, Leno's jokes made me laugh.  Plus, he's a nice man - when my friend's husband was involved in a single-car accident on a canyon road, Leno is the one who stopped to check on him and direct traffic around the accident until authorities arrived - who is married to a smart, interesting woman.  Yep, I like him.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8

I've never met anyone that would admit to liking Leno despite his ratings.

I liked Leno.  No, his show wasn't particularly brilliant (although some of his early stand-up was) but he was often funny.  But I also liked Letterman too.  And Kimmel and Fallon are okay.  Didn't care for Conan.  Miss Craig Ferguson like mad, though.  I'll confess to not generally seeing late night talk shows anymore unless I tape them for a guest/musical act in which I'm particularly interested.

• Love 3

Miss Craig Ferguson like mad

Me too.  He was the only late night guy I watched regularly.  But, I will say that I liked Leno.  Besides the whole Conan mess, I never understood why people are always so down on him.  

• Love 3

Because the whole Conan mess happened before with Letterman too. Leno has a history of screwing other comics out of work to get ahead. I expect every single person in the entertainment industry to hustle for work and fame, but Leno doesn't seem loyal to anyone except himself. That's just my perception based on how both Tonight Show situations went down but it certainly tainted him for me.

• Love 9

The thing is, he also did it to Johnny Carson, who handed him a national audience on a plate.

Or at least his manager did, Completely Without His Input, and he was Shocked, Shocked, Shocked, and fired her immediately (right before he signed the contract for the Tonight Show and he would have had to give her the percentage in his contract from when he was a nobody and she took him on).

I have no idea what he's like in person, but he's left quite a wake of devastation behind him professionally.

• Love 3

Maybe not in the modern era but what immediately comes to mind is the third season of Hunter which went from almost a spoof of Dirty Harry to a solid procedural that went one season too long. 

I have nothing to add at the moment other than that I love that show--and I did enjoy the theme song very much!

Why is it all these shows make it to syndication but Law and Order is the only thing on ?

Ion TV syndicates anything that is episodic. Different days and times I have seen CSI, Leverage and Criminal Minds.

Networks love episodic TV even bad episodic tv because it is easy to syndicate.

• Love 2

I liked Leno.  No, his show wasn't particularly brilliant (although some of his early stand-up was) but he was often funny.  But I also liked Letterman too.  And Kimmel and Fallon are okay.  Didn't care for Conan.  Miss Craig Ferguson like mad, though.  I'll confess to not generally seeing late night talk shows anymore unless I tape them for a guest/musical act in which I'm particularly interested.

When Leno was a stand up on Letterman, he killed.  He is a funny guy.  I do think some feel he sold out to be mainstream.  I just never watched his show.

• Love 1

Why is it all these shows make it to syndication but Law and Order is the only thing on ?

Over 1000 episodes in syndication not counting UK. Imagine if the one season and done series were to add another 30 or so hours

• Love 2

Or (like me) didn't like the Six Feet Under finale.

Wow! That isn't one you hear all too often. I loved that finale but I guess if its something powerful enough to make me cry, its probably also powerful enough to cause a negative reaction in someone.

• Love 3

Stargate SG-1 has been off the air for a decade, but I only recently started watching. There's no one I know to discuss it with even if it wasn't ancient TV history. I dipped into the thread here and was shocked -- shocked, I tell you! -- to see that the character Daniel Jackson was held in unilaterally high regard. So my UO is that I can't stand him and his mealy-mouthed ways, nor do I think the actor playing him is any better than average looking.

I found him fairly forgettable during the first 5 seasons and wasn't displeased when he died. It was when the show brought him back to life that the real aversion began. Damned cockroach!

I started watching the series backwards, doing Universe first, then Atlantis, then SG-1. Maybe because I watched it first, Universe remains my favorite show of the franchise, which I also gather is unpopular.

I suppose next I'll be UO-ing that I don't think Eddie Haskell is all that bad.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

I have to get this one off my chest: I don't see what the big deal is about Game of Thrones.  I've tried to watch it two or three times, because it has all the ingredients that should appeal to me (plot twists, devious people, etc), but every time I've tried it feels like such a chore to get through.  This Sunday on HBO, the program I'm most excited for is Silicon Valley.

• Love 7

I have to get this one off my chest: I don't see what the big deal is about Game of Thrones.  I've tried to watch it two or three times, because it has all the ingredients that should appeal to me (plot twists, devious people, etc), but every time I've tried it feels like such a chore to get through.  This Sunday on HBO, the program I'm most excited for is Silicon Valley.

Season One was enjoyable when it still played as a heroes Journey.   Then it got way too depressing for me. I understand violent shows.  Some of my favorite shows are of the violent variety but I think Game of Thrones has a weird mix of violent AND depressing which turns me off.  There is no light at the end of the tunnel.   Game of Thrones ranks up there for me as one of the most overrated televisions shows in the history of tv.  

• Love 3

The good thing about GOT is that if you behave stupidly or are cocky, you're going to get killed. There's really no one too stupid to live. Like, for example, on Fear the Walking Dead which is rife for stupidity.

The problem is that *every*one is stupid on GOT. 

• Love 2

Game of Thrones ranks up there for me as one of the most overrated televisions shows in the history of tv.

My husband loves it and I've been muddling through because he sits through a few shows that I like that he's not crazy about.  We just started season 5.  I still maintain that it's beautifully done (costumes, sets, lighting) and the acting is great, but as far as the story lines?  Let's just say I didn't miss it while we were waiting for season 5 to be released on dvd. 

• Love 1

My husband loves it and I've been muddling through because he sits through a few shows that I like that he's not crazy about. We just started season 5. I still maintain that it's beautifully done (costumes, sets, lighting) and the acting is great, but as far as the story lines? Let's just say I didn't miss it while we were waiting for season 5 to be released on dvd.

Beautiful costumes and stuff don't do it for me. There are certain things that are added bonuses or will bring me to a table I won't normally sit at but if there is no substance or in GOT's case no light (and I am not talking about good guy or person to "like" I am talking about light) and hope then I will get annoyed, bored, or just turreted off.

Beautiful costumes and stuff don't do it for me. There are certain things that are added bonuses or will bring me to a table I won't normally sit at but if there is no substance or in GOT's case no light (and I am not talking about good guy or person to "like" I am talking about light) and hope then I will get annoyed, bored, or just turreted off.

I love GOT, but I do understand what you mean.  I have to admit, this does sometimes bother me about the show, and I was seriously considering quitting it after the mostly underwhelming Season 5.  Then I heard spoilers about Season 6 that promise a development for which us Book Walkers have been waiting since the dawn of time (or when the show started, whichever) so they sucked me back in.

But, even as an ardent fan of the first four seasons, I can see where GOT definitely isn't for everyone.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

My GoT UO is that I like most of the changes (not all) that the show has made. Furthermore, GRRM is not the bestest writer (referring to books not show) ever as so many book elitists (used to be one) think he is. I concur with the "no light" criticism and that is my major problem with the show (but I am a fan).

GoT and HBO UO: The excessive nudity that so many people complain about does not bother me. Can I live without? Yes. Will it stop me from watching? No. Will it cause me to complain? So far, no.

• Love 4

My GoT UO is that I like most of the changes (not all) that the show has made. Furthermore, GRRM is not the bestest writer (referring to books not show) ever as so many book elitists (used to be one) think he is. I concur with the "no light" criticism and that is my major problem with the show (but I am a fan).

He absolutely is not the best writer ever. I don't even believe he's suited to writing novels at all. The man's heart seems to be in worldbuilding and short stories. He has too many ideas and not enough discipline to write an epic story like this, and keep it focused and coherent. Which is why the books have petered out into irrelevance. 

But a group of less talented writers trying to double down on all of Martin's worst tendencies to nihilism and excess, is far more annoying to me. They clearly try to ape what they think he would have done if he'd made the same narrative choices he has, only they rob it of any real depth and manage, somehow, to simultaneously offend and bore. That's quite an achievement. For all the chuntering people do about the show being unpredictable, it's absolutely predictable: Just imagine the most annoying and bleak thing possible, and that's what the show will end up doing.

And for the last two seasons, the structure has been exactly the same: Big shocking event.... boring pointless filler... big shocking event... boring pointless filler... biggest shocking event. That's not a season structure worth my time.

I prefer the later seasons of M*A*S*H mainly because I find Colonel Potter and Major Winchester to be more interesting characters than Colonel Blake and Major Burns, respectively.

I find the late seasons of M*A*S*H to be maudlin tripe, and barely worthy of being called comedy at all. But I do think Potter and BJ were better than Blake and Trapper. So for me, the best seasons are 4 and 5, which have those two characters plus Frank Burns, who I think was a necessary foil for actual comedy to occur. Hawkeye and BJ are more complex protagonists, but not so far gone as to be the self-righteous and sanctimonious prigs they eventually became, and Hotlips still has a semblance of actual character. Plus, Radar was still around.

• Love 3

I've liked a few, but not all, of the changes from book to show, but will agree that GRRM isn't the best writer.  The first three books in the series were good (sometimes almost excellent) but he got so caught up in his continued world building and theory creation, adding more and more unnecessary threads to the story, that he's let it all spin out of control a bit in the fourth and fifth books.  The man is in desperate need of an editor who'll say "Enough, George, start tying it all together NOW!" and has been for quite some time.

• Love 1
The first three books in the series were good (sometimes almost excellent) but he got so caught up in his continued world building and theory creation, adding more and more unnecessary threads to the story, that he's let it all spin out of control a bit in the fourth and fifth books.

This is nearly exactly what happened to the Wheel of Time series. I was so sick of the books by the time the grand finale came about I just wanted to get through it. And it was so underwhelming. I refuse to pick up the GOT books until the series is finished. And then only maybe. Wheel of Time took 25 years to complete, and the author actually *died* with 4 books to go!

• Love 1

My Better Call Saul UO:  I do. not. care. if there are a million Breaking Bad Easter eggs, and I do not watch hoping that I will catch a glimpse of, say, the same diner where Walt and someone did something in season 5, episode 3 of BB (I am totally making this up!).  I'm watching the story of Jimmy McGill/Saul Goodman and am happy to focus on only that.

I watched the entire run of Breaking Bad 3 times (starting my 4th, I can't get enough!). While this isn't an opinion per se, unpopularly I don't even recognize most things carried over from BB to BCS. For example, I did not recognize Krazy-8 on BCS, I found out it was him after reading a review. I pretty much only remembered the Salamancas and the diner Mike frequents. Like MaryPatShelby, I am happy to focus on the story of Jimmy McGill/Saul Goodman, even though I adore BB.

Vampire Diaries UO...the show tries to hit us over the head with Damon=bad, Stefan=good. I know there is a lot of disagreement about this among the fans, but my UO is that neither one of them can be classified that way. They both have their moments when they have been evil, when they have done good, when they've been morally ambiguous. I'm getting a little bored with the same old formulas being used, but I still find Damon & Stefan interesting and like them both as characters.

• Love 1

This is nearly exactly what happened to the Wheel of Time series. I was so sick of the books by the time the grand finale came about I just wanted to get through it. And it was so underwhelming. I refuse to pick up the GOT books until the series is finished. And then only maybe. Wheel of Time took 25 years to complete, and the author actually *died* with 4 books to go!

I would argue that the first five Wheel of Time books were significantly better than anything GRRM has done. No, not as dark or gritty, but far more enjoyable, with more sympathetic and engaging characters, and a world that felt coherent and ageless. Sadly, he did make many of the same mistakes as GRRM, in terms of losing focus and direction, introducing new plots that were unnecessary and self-indulgent. Fortunately, Brandon Sanderson was able to salvage the series at the end, even if he couldn't make it the timeless success it could have been.

Even at the end, I still waited eagerly for the next Wheel of Time book. I barely even care about the next ASOIAF book, whenever it gets released (if it does).

I quit Vampire Diaries when I realized Stefan would never pay for murdering Andie way back in, I think, season two. I liked her and her death was ugly. She was murdered to strike at Damon. I'm not saying he should have been staked or anything but I needed to see him pay a price beyond his own angst and it didn't happen. I could never choke down "good guy" Stefan after that. I'm fine with vampires being on the anti-social personality spectrum because they're a predatory species but as a member of the prey species I also like to see them face some form of justice.

• Love 1

Sanderson did a very good job, but I felt basically over the series at that point, especially when it was clear that barely anything was going to be wrapped up anyway.

I'm actually glad the GOT show is breaking from the books even though it's still based on what GRRM told them. Having a little more creative freedom might juice the tv series.

• Love 1

I quit Vampire Diaries when I realized Stefan would never pay for murdering Andie way back in, I think, season two. I liked her and her death was ugly. She was murdered to strike at Damon. I'm not saying he should have been staked or anything but I needed to see him pay a price beyond his own angst and it didn't happen. I could never choke down "good guy" Stefan after that. I'm fine with vampires being on the anti-social personality spectrum because they're a predatory species but as a member of the prey species I also like to see them face some form of justice.

They had to make Stefan evil so people would buy Elena choosing Damon, who had already raped Caroline and killed a bunch of people onscreen. I hate this kind of TV writing, so I quit the show. 

The Song of Ice and Fire series has absolutely grown out of control for GRRM. He needs to stop.writing.words and worldbuilding and just GET TO IT (I found it really really difficult to slog my way through the fourth and fifth books, and I don't think I could ever read them again). As it is, by the time he gets around to finishing the seventh book (if he ever does that), there will be no HBO publicity machine to trumpet the release, and nobody is really going to care anymore because the biggest plot points will have been spoiled.

• Love 1

GoT and HBO UO: The excessive nudity that so many people complain about does not bother me. Can I live without? Yes. Will it stop me from watching? No. Will it cause me to complain? So far, no.

I read the first and worked (in every literal sense of the word) my way through the second and I can't seem to finish the third.

I read it because I started hearing about it in anticipation of the TV show and I thought this sounds awesome. I remember thinking during reading the first that this constant shift of perspective and locale would make for a wonderful and interesting TV show.

And I think it does. Still.

However, it makes for incredibly tedious reading (and the often flowery prose doesn't help) and I decided I can live without reading the rest of it.

Edited by supposebly

My UO: I wish it was more common/acceptable to recast characters when actors leave a show, rather than have those characters leave/die too.

This was fairly common practice in the day-time soaps I used to watch and still happens in several film franchises, but seems almost unheard of in primetime shows. I can certainly get attached to actors in particular roles, but sometimes I'm more invested in a character's journey or the overall storyline of a show, so it sucks when all that gets derailed just because an actor wants to pursue other roles or has a salary dispute with producers. Case in point, I REALLY wish Matthew had been recast rather than killed off in Downton Abbey, thus saving us from three more embarrassing seasons of watching his widow Mary look for a new man, rather than potentially more interesting stories about them adjusting to married life and running the estate. We had already endured multiple seasons of her finding her first husband, and it beggared belief to ask the audience to sit through the process again, but this time to accept that this widowed mother in her 30s was somehow the most desirable woman in all England, with suitors lining up at her door, even though this was only a few years after WWI, when the ratio of women to men in her age group was close to 10:1. Ridiculous!

I certainly don't think this would work in every case, but I really wish showrunners and audiences were more open to the idea of recasting, which might help keep storylines on track and have shows feel more cohesive. It might even make shows better in little ways, since initial castings don't always pan out. For instance, Game of Thrones has recast several minor characters during its run, with great success. The new (third!) actor playing Gregor Clegane, is particularly impressive in that role. That guy is huge! 

• Love 6

I can certainly get attached to actors in particular roles, but sometimes I'm more invested in a character's journey or the overall storyline of a show, so it sucks when all that gets derailed just because an actor wants to pursue other roles or has a salary dispute with producers.

Agreed.  

But then, I'm one who will stick with a show if I'm interested in what's going on vs an individual actor's performance or cast chemistry.  I probably care less about the latter than most. I appreciate a cast who elevates material and work well together.  However, once my incredulity or annoyance about storytelling reaches critical mass, no matter how good the actors are, I'm out. That's one of the reasons I couldn't get into Game of Thrones - I never got invested in the storytelling and it felt tedious to watch. 

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 2

My UO: I wish it was more common/acceptable to recast characters when actors leave a show, rather than have those characters leave/die too.

This was fairly common practice in the day-time soaps I used to watch and still happens in several film franchises, but seems almost unheard of in primetime shows. I can certainly get attached to actors in particular roles, but sometimes I'm more invested in a character's journey or the overall storyline of a show, so it sucks when all that gets derailed just because an actor wants to pursue other roles or has a salary dispute with producers. Case in point, I REALLY wish Matthew had been recast rather than killed off in Downton Abbey, thus saving us from three more embarrassing seasons of watching his widow Mary look for a new man, rather than potentially more interesting stories about them adjusting to married life and running the estate. We had already endured multiple seasons of her finding her first husband, and it beggared belief to ask the audience to sit through the process again, but this time to accept that this widowed mother in her 30s was somehow the most desirable woman in all England, with suitors lining up at her door, even though this was only a few years after WWI, when the ratio of women to men in her age group was close to 10:1. Ridiculous!

I certainly don't think this would work in every case, but I really wish showrunners and audiences were more open to the idea of recasting, which might help keep storylines on track and have shows feel more cohesive. It might even make shows better in little ways, since initial castings don't always pan out. For instance, Game of Thrones has recast several minor characters during its run, with great success. The new (third!) actor playing Gregor Clegane, is particularly impressive in that role. That guy is huge! 

Agreed.  

But then, I'm one who will stick with a show if I'm interested in what's going on vs an individual actor's performance or cast chemistry.  I probably care less about the latter than most. I appreciate a cast who elevates material and work well together.  However, once my incredulity or annoyance about storytelling reaches critical mass, no matter how good the actors are, I'm out. That's one of the reasons I couldn't get into Game of Thrones - I never got invested in the storytelling and it felt tedious to watch. 

I'm of two minds on this. And before I continue, I may sound like a hypocrite, but it's how I feel.

I only get attached to few actors, and I can't explain why. It's a visceral thing for me when it came to my soap viewing.  Like on General Hospital (which I no longer watch), I could never ever accept a Robin Scorpio recast, because I grew up watching the character grow up on the show when she was wee (actress was 8, character 6, I think). I just love Kimberly McCullough.  The other, from the same soap, and whose character was recast TWICE, both failures, to me, was Lucky Spencer, originated by Jonathan Jackson, who is now on Nashville.  Or RobertF'ng!Scorpio, played by that sexy, charming Aussie, Tristan Rogers.  Nope. would never countenance a recast of him.  And for prime time, because he was my very first crush, Patrick Duffy. I would never have stood for them recasting Bobby when he left the show after 7 years. So I suffered and accepted his death. Which, thank goodness, they turned the season he was gone as a dream season. I DID.NOT.CARE.   Bobby was back. That's ALL I cared about.

That said, I did give Emma Samms a chance when she was recast to play Fallon Colby on Dynasty. (Yes, I'm reallllly aging myself here).  Fallon was supposed to be manipulative; scheming, spoiled.  Even if she'd grown up by the time that Pamela Sue Martin left. But Samms was just horrible as Fallon. It was a totally different character, who now spoke with a slight English accent.  She was...too sweet. Too vulnerable. So NOT Fallon.  Though Jack Coleman taking over as Steven wasn't bad. But I was so happy when the original actor came back for the reunion movie. Even if Gordon Thompson got the shaft when they didn't ask him to come back to reprise his role. I seem to recall some interview on ET, where he was more than willing, but they never asked him or something. There was some drama over that.