Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

(edited)

My UO is that I hated the show Leverage.  I watched a few episodes and realized that they were all the same fucking episode. 

I also hated that it was typical in that, "the blacks are men and the women are white" and of course they got together because hey, black women don't exist according to these shows, at least young black women don't exist.

I don't like most of Shonda Rhimes' shows but at least she realizes that black women can be a lead character, not the best friend of sidekick.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 6

I'm not sure if anyone else remembers the impossibly soapy, up and down yet strangely addictive Dawson's Creek...?! Anyway, I just saw an episode for the first time  in several years and was reminded of a major UO: I never cared much about either Joey/Dawson OR Joey/Pacey. I did, however, fall in love with Pacey/Andie. I swear that I'm not deliberately contrary, but for some reason I rarely end up liking and rooting for most TV couples who are clearly the "end game." 

• Love 5
I am not upset about The Walking Dead's cliffhanger.

I think it was probably a bad decision but I'm not really upset about it either. I was just worried I'd actually have to see somebody get Lucilled. My UO is I was more interested to see what was going on with Carol and Morgan. I just wanted to get back to them.

• Love 1

The most interesting thing about the entire episode was the 3 seconds when the new guy said to Morgan, "Let's get your friend some help," and then leaned in to shake his hand. 

Oh, look another war lord. Yawn. 

• Love 1

I getting really tired of writers confusing heaping misery on their characters over and over with quality drama. The latest example - The 100. It was always a show where many bad things happened, often to innocent people in a horrifying way. But in season 3 it's up to 11. No less than four love interests to major characters (some of which important popular characters in their own right) were brutally murdered in mere ten episodes (one of which was last season's finale, so the trend is not only in season 3). That wasn't enough apparently, and it was followed by rape, torture and hundreds of people falling under the sway of evil AI - all in one episode. But hey, it's okay because Bellamy the mass murderer did something good for a change and we should all be impressed by his manpain and self-sacrifice.

There are so many plot holes that season 1 and 2 which were riddled with them too are starting to look positively plot hole free in comparison, the characterization is all over the place and practically entire storylines are "borrowed" from Battlestar Galactica and Game of Thrones but obviously this does not matter and we should be in awe by the writers' "bold" desire to "go there" - i.e. to ramp up the murder and misery. Sorry, I'd rather have coherent characterization and plotting instead.

• Love 3
(edited)

I getting really tired of writers confusing heaping misery on their characters over and over with quality drama.

Agree. I don't watch The 100 but I've definitely noticed that killing off characters simply for shock (or, to your point Jack, just your garden variety misery storylines) actually have diminishing returns after a while. I remember thinking that 24 was the king of this, even back in season one. I'm not saying a well done gut punch can't be impactful, but when you go to that well too many times it just stops mattering. I feel like I say this a lot, but the light and the shade have to co-exist to get the most emotional impact out of the story. If everything is dark and miserable all the time then nothing is. If the characters never get a win then they also never get a loss as well. And I'm not talking about the tragic hero who finally lets his guard down with his girlfriend then BAM she's murdered on their wedding day. We see that troupe all the time. I'm talking about good story telling instead of being lazy and writing off every character in existence when you need a sweeps draw.

And on that note, if you're going to kill off a major character, you'd better weigh the long term outcome with the short term gratification. Not really a problem for a show like 24 which was constantly reset from season to season but a show like Buffy is a prime example. Joyce's death provided some great short term emotional fodder, mileage will vary of course on how you feel about the episode The Body, but really took the show down a different path over the rest of the series. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but it was a tonal 180 from why many people probably liked that show in the first place. People liked the show about the sharp witted and bubbly teenager who fought the baddies of the night with her pals. As the charcater showed a natural maturity, people would have still liked the show about the sharp witted and still bubbly but slightly more worldly and cynical young adult who fought the baddies of the night. That's not what the post-The Body era brought, however. It's not that I think the "life is hell" metaphor or Buffy's spiral and depression at the end of season 5 and throughout season 6 was the wrong play, it's that it was the only play because the writers painted themselves into that corner by killing off her freaking mother. Yes, there were a host of other issues that contributed to the tone of the show in S6, but it all began with Joyce's illness and death. Good for the arc, bad for the long term health of the series.*

*And for the record, I think season 6 gets unfairly maligned sometimes, but I can't disagree that it's like watching a different series.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 1

I feel the same way about Chrissy Teigen. I still can't believe she's a Victoria Secret model or was.

Oh yes, I forgot about her.  I thought it was just me who thought that!  

• Love 1

Chrissy Teigen was a Victoria's Secret model?!? Then again, she made the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, IIRC, so clearly other people see something in her that I do not.

I feel like I say this a lot, but the light and the shade have to co-exist to get the most emotional impact out of the story. If everything is dark and miserable all the time then nothing is.

Exactly. Has there ever been a show that has actually improved after going all out for "darker and edgier"? I honestly can't think of any. But I can't think of quite a few that became nigh on unwatchable.

• Love 1
(edited)

Oh, Ganesh, that's adorable that you think that might happen. It will only stoke their martyrdom. I gave up on that forum about 2 episodes into season 2. It made the show much more enjoyable.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1

Exactly. Has there ever been a show that has actually improved after going all out for "darker and edgier"? I honestly can't think of any. But I can't think of quite a few that became nigh on unwatchable.

As a mourner of the once-smart and -compelling Person of Interest, I have to say that I don't remember that happening recently.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

Maybe not in the modern era but what immediately comes to mind is the third season of Hunter which went from almost a spoof of Dirty Harry to a solid procedural that went one season too long. 

• Love 2

I don't have a huge investment in Sleepy Hallow, so I had a good laugh at shipper's expense at the last episode. Maybe now they'll shut up for a few hours.

*turns away and sobs*

I wasn't a shipper, but their chemistry as friends was so damn good that I choked back a few sobs myself when it was over. 

• Love 5

As a mourner of the once-smart and -compelling Person of Interest, I have to say that I don't remember that happening recently.

This reminds me of what I think might be a POI related UO: I love both versions of POI. I'm new to the show/fandom so I might have this wrong, but it seems like you either like POI seasons 1-2 when it was procedural or you like seasons 3-4 when it got more serialized, but you never love both.

• Love 2
I am not upset about The Walking Dead's cliffhanger.

That's probably the most UO of UO's ever.

Unless someone liked the Dexter series finale. ;)

Or Lost.

I was happy to be spoiled that TWD season finale would be a cliffhanger so that the internet wouldn't break with the "OMG, they killed ___!"s before I had a chance to watch.  I still haven't seen it but now I have approx 6 months to get to it.

Chrissy Teigen was a Victoria's Secret model?!? Then again, she made the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, IIRC, so clearly other people see something in her that I do not.

Ha, I was surprised to read that as well.  Then, I remembered Giselle was also one, so...yeah. 

I don't have a huge investment in Sleepy Hallow, so I had a good laugh at shipper's expense at the last episode. Maybe now they'll shut up for a few hours.

I wasn't a shipper, nor do I watch the show any more, but Abbie Mills was the best thing about it by a country mile. The refusal of the showrunners and execs to recognise that, their apparent attempts to sideline her and their eventual removal of her from the show should be troubling to anyone who enjoys television, in my view. Especially because it sounds like a lot of sleazy shit went on, and now there may be a smear campaign with Fox trying to cover their own backs.

As for The Walking Dead, my brain switches off as soon as I see those words. Man, how much do I not give a shit over which upsetting, shocking death occurred this week? Once shows develop a taste for killing characters, they seem to do it all the time, regardless of whether it makes sense or benefits the show. Too many examples of that.

• Love 8

I gave up on Black Sails during the first season when the only black(ish) female character was a prostitute.  Maybe it's improved since then? 

It's improved a hell of a lot.  Max now runs shit in Nassau and there are more black characters,

including the one who might be Silver's wife. 

The deal with Sleepy Hollow wasn't about shippers, it was that Abbie and Craine had great chemistry together, they played off each other, it was great.  But, the problem was, the second season, the guy who was the show runner was a douchebag who didn't like the actress who played Abbie and most likely jerked off over the actress who played Katrina.  So in season 2, Abbie was regulated to a guest star on a show where she was supposed to be a lead.  That made me stop watching the show because my feeling is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it or fuck it up; if people like two character's chemistry, then keep it up.  I don't know if the show runner was prejudiced or just a douchebag, or both, but he ruined the show for me and frankly, this season, I forgot it was still on.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 5

Very few of the complaints about the treatment of Abbie Mills have anything to do with shipping. It was mostly that she was, bar none, the best thing about the show and after season 1, the writing never did right by her. 

I've ever seen a show tank so hard, so fast. I had a feeling in season one that it was going to go off the rails (juggling police procedural, Biblical apocalypse, fish out of water, American Revolution storylines all at once), but not like this.

• Love 10

I'm not commenting on the treatment of Abbie Mills or the actor. I'm commenting on the fact that that the discussion board was packed to the brim of "ship this and ship that. Oh look at teh lurve. They better make them a couple by this and that, or I'm not watching blah blah" to the point where actual discussion of the show was a very mere afterthought, not to mention the liberal use of the "smooshed name" trope which should be banned from the world forever. 

So I had a good laugh. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2

I only had a passing interest in Sleepy Hollow, S1 was fine but it was never must-see-TV for me and when I dropped it in early S2, it's simply because I got bored. And despite having heard, before this week anyway, the end of S2 had rebooted and S3 was at least showing promise, I don't trust shows that have to reboot themselves. If they wrote themselves into a corner before, who's to say it wouldn't happen again?!

But of the little I know about the drama surrounding that show (which sounds more interesting than the show itself tbh), it sounds like S3 took a sneakier approach to what S2 had tried and upset people with. In which case, I don't understand why they're surprised there's a backlash nor do I get why they bothered to reboot the end of last season in the first place.

Black Sails is the rare show that seems to be getting better season by season. Season two was much better than season 1.

I'd consider Black Sails my favorite show right now, which I never thought I'd say after S1. I only stuck with it for my brother's sake because I felt guilty that I could always find shows he'd like but he wasn't able to find ones I'd like. But then S2 happened, and that was just a fantastic piece of television, and S3 just kept it going. I even find S1 more compelling now, knowing what comes out of S2 and 3.

But I think it's bad when a show's first season is it's best season because it means there's no where to go but down.

MY UO is that I'm perfectly OK with what happened on Sleepy Hollow as a series finale. As a season finale, maybe not but it depends on what happens. I've enjoyed the show from the start and found that I enjoyed it even more when I stopped reading the forum. 

• Love 7

MY UO is that I'm perfectly OK with what happened on Sleepy Hollow as a series finale. As a season finale, maybe not but it depends on what happens. I've enjoyed the show from the start and found that I enjoyed it even more when I stopped reading the forum. 

The last couple of weeks of Sleepy Hollow reminded me of Dennis Quaid's Vegas when they seemed to rush through two years worth of relationship touch points to get to the series finale that seemed like part of the long term plan for next season's finale. I was surprised to see it is still considered on the bubble but then again a few weeks ago I saw another series finale for CSI:Cyber and it is officially still on life support.

• Love 1

Y'all are killing me with Black Sails. I was sure one season was enough, but now I'm thinking of dipping into S2 just too see for myself. Like I need more things to add to the long list of things I want to watch. Plus, two seasons usually means I'm in it. 

Decisions, decisions... .

• Love 2

I'm going to miss NB and Abbie terribly because I thought the actress and the character were great and she was great with TM/Ichabod.  I can't imagine him without her, but I'm still intrigued about what comes next.  If there's a 4th season, I'll try it. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1

It's obvious that even if Sleepy Hollow comes back, it will last approximately four minutes. The charm, the interest, the draw of the show was the combination of Crane and Mills' chemistry and the BSC nature of the storytelling.  Without Mills as Mills, the show is just silly.  Knowing that this was, in effect. the series finale, my UO is that it was a lovely send-off.  Those callback moments, the hand kiss, the "you're my guy," the deep courtly bow, the Corbins -- so sweet and heartbreaking.  

Second UO:  I wish people would let shows just tell their story.  Specifically for Outlander's season 2 premiere.  Look, the showrunner obviously is invested in this story. The whole season has been mapped out.  The author of the 8 novels is very much involved in the story.  And yet, people complain that this character is in it too much, or that frame takes too long or whatever.  Just let the people tell their story.   

• Love 1

Obviously, it brings me no enjoyment to see other people in pain, because that would be gross, and I can respect not wanting to watch a season four without Abbie.

My UO is that I would probably watch the hell out of Tom Mison, 250-year-old colonial bureaucrat running the super-secret agency of the supernatural hunters, if pretty much everyone in the writing room was replaced.

They won't be, and I regret the time I gave the current group, so any season 4 would be happening without me. But I'm mentally registering it as the third season I resent them for blowing.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

Verbally incinerate the show/characters/writers to your hearts' content...  but no harm shall come to other posters and/or fandoms. 

If your post includes phrases like

• "you people"
  • "the board"
  • "all of you"
  • "the ___ fans"

or really any second person pronouns...

We ask that you take a deep breath and evaluate its tone before you hit that green button. 

Now back to the verbal incineration of shows/characters/writers...

• Love 4

It's obvious that even if Sleepy Hollow comes back, it will last approximately four minutes. The charm, the interest, the draw of the show was the combination of Crane and Mills' chemistry and the BSC nature of the storytelling.  Without Mills as Mills, the show is just silly.  Knowing that this was, in effect. the series finale, my UO is that it was a lovely send-off.  Those callback moments, the hand kiss, the "you're my guy," the deep courtly bow, the Corbins -- so sweet and heartbreaking.  

That's why most people got invested, as far as I can tell. It's certainly why I watched more than just the pilot. It wasn't that the story was great or made for captivating television. It was that the show was charming and fun, and a lot of that fun came from the interactions of the two main characters. Without that, they have nothing.

Characters will always trump plot, when it comes to any form of entertainment. Your plot can be as smart and intricate and well thought out as you like, but if your characters are duds, no one will care. On the other hand, you can get away with a lot of shit if people fall in love with your characters. Sleepy Hollow was an example of that. As are Castle and Arrow, off the top of my head.

• Love 4

My UO is that I would probably watch the hell out of Tom Mison, 250-year-old colonial bureaucrat running the super-secret agency of the supernatural hunters, if pretty much everyone in the writing room was replaced.

That's why I'm willing to give the 4th season a shot.  They were great together, and I hope the rumors about NB having a hard time on set are false, because she was awesome and what happened was sad, but there's no denying that separately, they had charm as well.  I don't know if it's enough, though, but I'll watch and see. 

Knowing that this was, in effect. the series finale, my UO is that it was a lovely send-off.  Those callback moments, the hand kiss, the "you're my guy," the deep courtly bow, the Corbins -- so sweet and heartbreaking.

I don't follow the gossip and entertainment news much anymore, so before I knew that this was it for Abbie, I said to my husband "Wow, they really know how to write good finales".  Once I found out that was the end of them together, I had to admit that her send off was done very well.

• Love 1

Pretty much everyone on NCIS, most notably DiNozzo (punch-worthy, insufferable overgrown frat boy) and Abby (quasi-'goth', perky, self-enamored annoyance)

Oh yes.  He's so smug and so satisfied with himself.  And now that Abby's like, 47 or something, maybe she could update her hair?  What woman goes all those years through the run of the show without changing her hair even once? 

I hate Sherlock on Elementary, and not just because Jonny Lee Miller squiffs me out with that pale, flabby, shiny skin.  This Sherlock is pretty much a recycled version of Frasier Crane. So boring, no matter what he's given to do.

I hate Carrie Bradshaw.  I've never understood why that show was held as an icon of new feminism when every week, we heard the Carrie character whine because she doesn't have a boyfriend.  But it's okay, because she hearts NY!  Ugh.

I hate Kramer.  There's no way I would have wanted to spend any of my time with that guy.  Nothing intelligent or even provocative to say, ever.

And for any HGTV fans here: I loathe Chip Gaines from Fixer Upper.  This guy is absolutely beloved by all these viewers, but he turns my stomach with his "look at me!" schtick. People named him the Sexiest Man Alive! He should hang out with DiNozzo, who's got the same non-personality.

I feel much better now.  Thanks for letting me vent.

Edited by FineWashables
  • Love 2