Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Count me as someone who thinks the constant trashing of a show on an active message board is just ruining it for everyone else. I loved S4-7 of Game of Thrones, and the first 3.5 episodes of S8, but talk about a toxic fandom. Everyone had their favs, and I was firmly on the side of hot Jaime Lannister, but the fighting between Jon and Dany fans made me want to run to anywhere I could talk about the show but not talk about those two.

OMG I was and am on the side of hot Jaime Lannister too. 🤣 NCW is my Danish boyfriend. He just doesn't know it. Jon Snow grew on me, but he was never a favorite. I liked Dany in season 1, and that was about it. I found her pretty insufferable, truth be told. 

I'm actually rewatching GOT right now. I never watched the final season, though most of it has been spoiled for me. I was sort of put off by all the squabbling I saw over it. I decided to just take it from the beginning and watch the final season within context of the whole show. So far, what has been spoiled I think is actually well foreshadowed, though I get the impression the way they got there was not the best. 

• Love 7

My UO about Outlander is that I care about one character and one character only and that is Lord John. I've still got the season before the current one sitting there with two episodes left for months that I haven't finished. Why? Cause LJ took his awful son and rode away on his horse. I don't care about anyone else! I probably won't watch the newest season if he's not in it and I don't think he's in the book it's based on.

• Love 2
(edited)

I read the Outlander series as a teenager. I enjoyed it. I enjoy Scottish Gaelic culture. I was not able to get into the show but really don't know why. I think it was partly because I did not have Starz when it began. Whenever it came to Netflix I had missed the initial gushing and it became background noise.

Edited by Enigma X
Changed "Highlander" to "Outlander."
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The whole premise of the second book is Jamie and Claire trying to stop Culloden from happening.

I learned about Culloden from the Highlander tv show. (see what I did there?)

S1 and S2 of Outlander was the best because of that.

5 minutes ago, Zella said:

So far, what has been spoiled I think is actually well foreshadowed, though I get the impression the way they got there was not the best. 

That really sums it up. I mean they said - if you're expecting a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention rather early on.

Outlander again - Brianna should have married Lord John and everyone knows it. Then he and Jamie could spend the day playing chess. You know you'd all watch that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, DoctorAtomic said:

That really sums it up. I mean they said - if you're expecting a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention rather early on.

Yep pretty much! 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Zella said:

OMG I was and am on the side of hot Jaime Lannister too. 🤣 NCW is my Danish boyfriend. He just doesn't know it. Jon Snow grew on me, but he was never a favorite. I liked Dany in season 1, and that was about it. I found her pretty insufferable, truth be told. 

I'm actually rewatching GOT right now. I never watched the final season, though most of it has been spoiled for me. I was sort of put off by all the squabbling I saw over it. I decided to just take it from the beginning and watch the final season within context of the whole show. So far, what has been spoiled I think is actually well foreshadowed, though I get the impression the way they got there was not the best. 

Hot Jaime Lannister is what interested me in the show in the first place! It certainly wasn't "My hair hasn't been washed in a decade" Ned Stark. My love for NCW knows few bounds. Do you follow his Instagram? He is smoking hot while being the most embarrassing dork dad ever. Jaime+Brienne5EVA by the way. 

I've not watched Outlander because...well...it just didn't sound good. 

Also, this is probably a vastly unpopular opinion, but romance ADDS to a show, it doesn't subtract. I get frustrated when people want all romance stripped from a show or bitch about how the lead having a love interest takes over the show. You know, people who defuse bombs are also the people who get taken out on dates by hot men. It doesn't make a character lesser for that character to have an active love/sex life. It makes that character well-rounded and more realistic. 

• Love 10
Just now, BlackberryJam said:

Hot Jaime Lannister is what interested me in the show in the first place! It certainly wasn't "My hair hasn't been washed in a decade" Ned Stark. My love for NCW knows few bounds. Do you follow his Instagram? He is smoking hot while being the most embarrassing dork dad ever. Jaime+Brienne5EVA by the way. 

YES, he has a delightful personality IRL from what I can tell! 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I read the Highlander series as a teenager. I enjoyed it. I enjoy Scottish Gaelic culture. I was not able to get into the show but really don't know why. I think it was partly because I did not have Starz when it began. Whenever it came to Netflix I had missed the initial gushing and it became background noise.

Do you mean Outlander? Because Highlander, the series was on the USA network.

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Highlander was a syndicated show. USA picked up S1-3 reruns, among the other syndicated shows of the time (Sentinel).

The 'euro' cut (on the dvds) has an additional scene or so per episode.

Right. I watched the initial run and remember seeing Adrian Paul's bum in a flashback in season...three. When they reran it later, that was edited out.

Yep, I bought the European versions back in the day...on VHS.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Right. I watched the initial run and remember seeing Adrian Paul's bum in a flashback in season...three. When they reran it later, that was edited out.

Yep, I bought the European versions back in the day...on VHS.

Haha. Yes!

• LOL 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, Enigma X said:

In a similar vein, I don't get people who announce they are leaving a forum within the forum repeatedly. I get doing it once, to get it off your chest, and then actually leaving. I dont even do that though.

Same. They're obviously expecting people to say, "No, please don't go, stay!", or they need to make a big dramatic thing out of it. If you want to leave, just leave. If people are curious where you went, they'll ask around or try and get in touch with you directly if possible. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Zella said:

Rather than hate-watching, I usually hate-read recaps after I stop watching because I still am nosy and want to know but don't want to watch.

This is my favorite thing about the internet. I have ghosted so many shows I am not 100% certain I'm still alive, but I am nosy as all hell. I stopped watching Game of Thrones with two eps to go. I read what happened and have not regretted stopping for a second. I have no interest in ever watching it again. 

I am highly influenced by actors. If I don't like an actor I cannot watch them no matter how good a show might be. So if I find there is an actor on a show who is more than I can stand, I just stop watching and hang out in the forum to see what is going on with the show. 

I have never understood watching something that you actual hate. There are plenty of crappy shows I watch in a guilty pleasure kind of way but once I start hating a show I'm out. There is so much to hate in this world that I can't change that I'm not going to hate watch something when I have the power to simply turn it off. 

I also give up on books, which my BFF finds to be practically a crime. Life is just too short. 

For longer running shows there are far more I have dropped than I have seen through to the end. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

Usually when I drop a show it's just a gradual phasing out as my interest wanes.  It's seldom, if ever, a conscientious decision.  There is only one time that I can recall when I did it abruptly for a specific reason. (Season 5 of 24 when they killed off Michelle, one of my all time TV girl crushes, in the first five minutes.  I was like that SpongeBob "Imma head out" meme.)

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I've never hate-watched something. I just don't think I could do it. I very much get people wanting to stick with a show to the end if it's one they'd been following since the beginning and whatnot, even if they don't like it anymore. It would be tough to just completely drop something you used to love, even if you personally know it'd probably be the best thing to do.

Plus, for the people who are still watching and still do enjoy the show to some degree, even if they agree with some of the criticisms people make about it, at some point having someone hanging around and doing nothing but constantly dumping on the show can suck the fun out of it for everyone else, or can make discussion, be it positive or negative, harder. It's one thing to criticize a show-no series is perfect after all, criticism should be allowed. It's another entirely, though, to just keep hammering home the same gripes over and over again and getting increasingly bitter about it.

Testify! I don't hate watch because there's too much else on to enjoy watching, and I have been soured on a series because of too much criticism from message boards and trying to defend a show I enjoyed.

6 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I'm a big fan of dropping a show, but coming back to watch the final episode, just so I know how it ends. That was me with Lost. I gave up on the mid-S3, so I was able to absolutely enjoy the finale. 

I wouldn't say I hate-watch anything, but I enjoy a good "trash-watch." Harper's Island was terrible, but I loved watching it every week and giggling about who was going to get killed next. 

I would give up a show but catch the last episode wrap-up too, but eventually, I stopped doing even that. Now if I'm really interested in how a show ends, I try to find a recap the day after.

I loved Harper's Island! I didn't realize it was basically a miniseries slasher movie (which is usually not my thing), but there was something about it that was so stupid and so enjoyable.

17 hours ago, Bastet said:

Even with The X-Files, where the bloom gradually came off the rose starting somewhere in season five, and I checked out entirely somewhere in the latter half of season seven, yet went to the midnight showing of the post-series movie and then watched seasons 10 and 11.  I get some incredulous "you're STILL not going to watch 8 and 9"?  No, I'm not.  Nothing anyone, anywhere, in all I've read - and this is a show with lots of internet commentary over the last 20 years - has made me think I'd enjoy it.  I have no interest in spending my time watching something just to pontificate on all the ways it sucks.

I had given up The X-Files by season 8 when Mulder left, but at some point when my interest was rekindled (thanks to slash fan fiction!), SyFy was rerunning the series, and I did watch seasons 8 and 9. They really weren't bad. Doggett & Reyes made a nice team, and Scully's role could have transitioned more to a mentor role. I never saw any of the X-File movies other than the first, and while I watched the first season reboot, I didn't bother with the second. 

And in an extremely UO, I hate that they paired off Mulder and Scully romantically and that she had that miracle baby.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, Zella said:

Incidentally, I accidentally spoiled Outlander for someone on some forum because I mentioned Culloden and just guessed it didn't end well for a lot of characters. Someone got really mad at me, but I've never really thought you could spoil history. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Did this person think Culloden was going to turn out well for the Scots? Do they know that Scotland is not a separate country today?

5 hours ago, Zella said:

And why were her and Frank demobilized before the war ended in the novel?!?! That distracted me to no end.

I believe that is because the author put in a date that she thought was the end of the war, but didn't actually research what life was like in the UK during 1945, and no editor caught it. (Possibly the editor, if there was one, also did not know, which I think means another editor should have been assigned, and if no editor knew anything about WWII, then some of them should be fired and editors who read should have been hired. But I'm not in charge.) It also makes the dates not work with another date in later books. The first part of book 1 should have been set in 1946 at least, not 1945.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I loved Harper's Island! I didn't realize it was basically a miniseries slasher movie (which is usually not my thing), but there was something about it that was so stupid and so enjoyable.

It was a silly little show, but it worked. The cast was mostly good (and OMG now I realize where I saw the dude who played Kimmy Schmidt's fancy boyfriend!) and I love a Ten Little Indians style murder mystery so that kept me hooked. I'm not a slasher person but since it did have a mystery to it I didn't mind the gore. I'm weird with gore. It isn't that it bothers me so much as it usually bores me. Something like Halloween or Friday the 13th bores me because it's just some guy killing a bunch of people with no real purpose. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

Testify! I don't hate watch because there's too much else on to enjoy watching, and I have been soured on a series because of too much criticism from message boards and trying to defend a show I enjoyed.

I haven't had the issue of being soured on the series itself, thankfully, but I have gotten to the point in some places where I only pop in every so often to give my thoughts and then leave it at that because I'm just tired of rehashing the same issues again. It just gets exhausting after a while. 

It does suck when fandom drama can ruin someone's enjoyment of a show itself, yeah. Even worse when the drama is coming from the series itself, because at least with fandom drama, you can get away from that. If the cast/crew/creators are causing the drama, that seeps into the show itself much of the time and can affect one's enjoyment even more. 

5 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Also, this is probably a vastly unpopular opinion, but romance ADDS to a show, it doesn't subtract. I get frustrated when people want all romance stripped from a show or bitch about how the lead having a love interest takes over the show. You know, people who defuse bombs are also the people who get taken out on dates by hot men. It doesn't make a character lesser for that character to have an active love/sex life. It makes that character well-rounded and more realistic. 

Agreed! I can agree with a complaint about how some romances are done badly, because yeah, some are, I can agree with a complaint about how cliche some of the romance tropes are (though, then again, cliches are a thing in any genre, so...), I can understand where some shows aren't known for romance, or that's not their main focus, so in those cases, it makes more sense to kinda keep that part of a story in the background. Stuff like that. 

But I don't understand the "no romance at all" mindset some people have out there, either. People fall in love. They date and get married. That's as much a part of many people's lives as anything else, so it makes sense shows will feature it to some degree. And there are shows that can do the romance element right, be it with established couples or couples we want to see get together. Done right a romance can be a very wonderful part of a show, so yeah, I'm all for it being part of the story. 

On a similar note, I also don't like the dismissive attitude some have towards shipping and shippers. If it's not your thing, that's cool. And I certainly won't argue that there are shippers out there that go way over the top and desperately need to chill. But there's also plenty of us out there who just want to enjoy our ships and who don't bother or harass anyone over them, and who can enjoy both their ship and other elements of the show. 

• Love 12

For trash-watching, I still miss Terra Nova. Whoa, it was bad, mostly with regard to the writing, but I loved every crappy minute of it and immensely enjoyed making fun of it every week.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

For trash-watching, I still miss Terra Nova.

OMG I totally forgot about that show. It was fantastically bad but in a way that was so much fun to make fun of. It was definitely an unintentional comedy. 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

This badinage is not up to my frivolous standards. I don't know if I can stay in this forum. 

I'm not too proud to admit that I had to google what "badinage" meant.  

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

This badinage is not up to my frivolous standards. I don't know if I can stay in this forum. 

I'm not too proud to admit that I had to google what "badinage" meant.  

It's so hard to find good badinage these days. (I had to look it up too. No one has used it on any show I watch so it has no meaning to me. lol It's a great word though. I think more shows should use it.)

• Love 6

I don't mind romance if there's a good balance with other story lines.  But, if I'm watching a show based on the daily life of people who work in a hospital and after a couple of seasons it's more about their home/love life than work, I get irritated.  Hate watching is something I don't get although, I have stuck with a few shows that I started off loving until the bitter end. 

Here's one:  I don't mind kids on shows.  It just depends on the show and the writing (and if the actor is really bad.  I tend to give child actors a break-they still have to learn their craft--but sometimes, they cast one that's really bad).  But, I've seen so many posts from people who can't stand the kids so much that it's almost like a show is bad simply because a character has a kid.  ::shrug::

• Love 10
(edited)
44 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Here's one:  I don't mind kids on shows.  It just depends on the show and the writing (and if the actor is really bad.  I tend to give child actors a break-they still have to learn their craft--but sometimes, they cast one that's really bad).  But, I've seen so many posts from people who can't stand the kids so much that it's almost like a show is bad simply because a character has a kid.  ::shrug::

I'll agree with this one, too. I've seen complaints online in various places about the kids on the show "Evil", how they talk over each other so much and are annoying and whatnot, but that doesn't bother me. I think they're cute. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Also, I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I unequivocally love Callum Keith Rennie in everything and want his character to win/live/succeed. I loved Leoben. I loved John Wakefield. I loved Karl Malus. I'll be watching something and Callum will show up, even as a tertiary character and I'm all, "I want that guy to get away with the murder/come out on top/have a main love interest." I think I fell in love with him as some rando in Highlander: The Series.

Not unpopular with me. I unabashedly adore CKR.

• Love 1

I also don't get what seems to be an automatic reflex to hate kids on TV shows. I am not talking about an annoying or bad character who happens to be a kid, but many viewers seem to hate kids on TV shows just because it is a kid.

But depending on the show, I also don't mind romance for romance sake. For me, if the main plot or the show's premise is not working and the only thing I am enjoying is the romance/chemistry of a pairing, so be it.

• Love 12

Re: kids on TV shows.  They don't inherently bother me either.  I mean, people have kids.  On the other hand, if they're not a focal point of the series I don't care if we don'e see them for three episodes in a row.  Some stories include the kids and some don't.  Don't get me wrong, is it fun to point out all the times Rachel Green is a neglectful mother because all she does is carry the baby monitor around with her?  Sure.  But I can forgive it.  I'd rather that than shoe horning the kid in at all costs.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

I'll agree with this one, too. I've seen complaints online in various places about the kids on the show "Evil", how they talk over each other so much and are annoying and whatnot, but that doesn't bother me. I think they're cute. 

I think viewers are tougher on child actors than adults. Viewers understand that an adult can play a murderer or drug addict nobody assumes that that's who they are in real life. Kids are assumed to be brats and not reading from a script. I think this attitude in common in the Commercial forum.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

Kids are assumed to be brats and not reading from a script. I think this attitude in common in the Commercial forum.

Which is funny, 'cause I can think of quite a few adults who would fit this description :p. 

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

the female protagonist has a magic vagina that can cure the hero of his PTSD and apparently in the latest season a snakebite.  

Yeah, that was waaaaay over the top silly.  Both incidents.  

22 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Also, I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I unequivocally love Callum Keith Rennie in everything and want his character to win/live/succeed. I loved Leoben.

Ditto!

21 hours ago, festivus said:

Meanwhile, I've been known to drop a show with just a few episodes to go, sometimes with just one.

There are several shows that I've never bothered watching the final episode.  Most recently was that Prime series with Al Pacino about the Nazi hunters.  Meh.  By the final epi I didn't care anymore.  I don't think I watched any of the recent season finales of TWD but I'd always come back in the fall.  I finally dropped that midseason for good.

21 hours ago, Zella said:

Oh and I can't understate how much I was driven by the hope I'd see more David Oakes. 

I enjoyed the run of Victoria but was bummed that David Oakes never showed up in the third season.  It was so refreshing to see him not play a villain for a change.

• Love 4

22 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The Fug Girls recaps of Outlander are hilarious in themselves.  I have never watched an episode of Outlander and will never, but I do read those recaps for laughs.  I can't watch a show where every character gets raped and the female protagonist has a magic vagina that can cure the hero of his PTSD and apparently in the latest season a snakebite.  

Wow. This makes me wanna check out Outlander because that sounds like the kind of bad I'm interested in lol.

Count me as someone who doesn't automatically hate kids on shows.

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh, so this IS unpopular. I hate kids in TV shows. I hate TV shows about kids. I hate adult TV shows that have kid driven plot lines. But here’s the real truth. I hate kids. I don’t have any and have no idea why anyone would want one. I will occasionally suffer through kids on a TV show, but mostly, it’s a hard NO.

ETA: I don’t wish harm to children. I don’t want all children to die or anything. I don’t abuse children. And in fact, in my work, do a lot to prevent children from being abused. That doesn’t mean I want a child near me or taking up my time and attention, in person or on screen. Disliking children does not mean wishing them harm.

Edited by BlackberryJam
Because someone ALWAYS needs a clarification..
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Oh, so this IS unpopular. I hate kids in TV shows. I hate TV shows about kids. I hate adult TV shows that have kid driven plot lines. But here’s the real truth. I hate kids. I don’t have any and have no idea why anyone would want one. I will occasionally suffer through kids on a TV show, but mostly, it’s a hard NO.

ETA: I don’t wish harm to children. I don’t want all children to die or anything. I don’t abuse children. And in fact, in my work, do a lot to prevent children from being abused. That doesn’t mean I want a child near me or taking up my time and attention, in person or on screen. Disliking children does not mean wishing them harm.

I get what you are saying.  So many shows give the characters kids because they have lazy writers, and married adults are supposed to have kids, yada yada yada.  It's different for me when the main characters have kids in episode one, but when long running shows start handing out babies like Oprah with cars, I am out.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Sometimes the choice a married couple makes is NOT to have children, but that’s rarely what we see. I don’t watch kid shows. I’ve always had Nickelodeon and the Cartoon Channel eliminated from my TV Guide. I don’t watch anything animated. I’m a grown ass woman and I want to watch stuff that’s for adults.

• Love 3

I don't have a problem with kids in family shows, usually. 

Where I usually have a problem with kids is in shows that are primarily about the adults and adult things (work/friendships...etc.) but a show runner has decided that because their characters have kids, they need to create storylines for those kids.

And if that kid is a teen, they're usually brats, disrespectful, angsty, overwrought...etc.  And it's hard for me to care about teen angst when the adult situations are usually better acted, better written and more compelling. Who cares about a teen's love life when their parents are trying to save the world?

So few shows manage to walk the line of making the kids watchable.  Bosch is one of the few shows that does get it right. It's a show mostly about cops.  And the teen on the show has gone through some stuff and has disagreements with her father but she never got over-the-top obnoxious.  And they never had her go off the rails or wild even when she suffered a significant loss midway through the series.

I guess my issue isn't kids.  It's teens.  Kids at least are limited in the amount of time they can be on set.

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Oh, so this IS unpopular. I hate kids in TV shows. I hate TV shows about kids. I hate adult TV shows that have kid driven plot lines.

I agree. I especially hate competition reality shows who decide to put out a kids version. It's seems like every cooking show I watch will put out a kids version & I never watch them.

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, GaT said:

I especially hate competition reality shows who decide to put out a kids version. It's seems like every cooking show I watch will put out a kids version & I never watch them.

Ooh or dancing shows.  Or talent shows.  They're not as good or interesting as their adult counterparts.  Or they rarely are.

• Love 6

35 minutes ago, GaT said:

I agree. I especially hate competition reality shows who decide to put out a kids version. It's seems like every cooking show I watch will put out a kids version & I never watch them.

I also don't like kids reality competition shows.  It feels unequal.  There is a certain socio-economic level the kids' parents have to have in order for them to have the ability to compete.  Or the kid has the perfect TV sob story.  I want none of that.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
43 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Where I usually have a problem with kids is in shows that are primarily about the adults and adult things (work/friendships...etc.) but a show runner has decided that because their characters have kids, they need to create storylines for those kids.

I'm always surprised when viewers seem to think something's missing without it. Like asking why we don't get to see Walt Jr. at school etc. on Breaking Bad instead of only seeing Walt Jr. for how he relates to the story being told. Or thinking that since we get stories about Sally Draper that obviously relate directly to the themes of the show we need to also get stories about Bobby Draper, whose life really doesn't.

Likewise people saying they want a spinoff about whatever minor or supporting character when that would be terrible. Some supporting characters do work as central characters, obviously, but not most of them.

• Love 2
(edited)

It's seems like every cooking show I watch will put out a kids version & I never watch them.

Junior MasterChef Australia was only on for 2 seasons, but it was actually pretty good for a kids version.

And also a bit demoralizing when you realize a 10 year old can out cook you.

Edited by Hiyo
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Child reality shows disgust me because all I can think of is the hell that child goes through at home being forced to learn how to perform. I am just fine insulating children from the horrors of the entertainment industry and the resulting internet scrutiny until that child develops the appropriate maturity to handle it. 

Oh wait, many adult actors haven't done that yet...what am I thinking? How about at least until they are 18. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Ironically I hate kids in real life but don't mind them so much on tv...depending on the kid. And oddly, I like kids shows (which I am way too old for) but put an actual kid in front of me and I just want to go screaming from the room.

I'm a very contradictory person. 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

It's so hard to find good badinage these days. (I had to look it up too. No one has used it on any show I watch so it has no meaning to me. lol It's a great word though. I think more shows should use it.)

The problem is that Tim Gunn is the only person on TV who could get away with saying it.

Carry on!

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Haleth said:

I enjoyed the run of Victoria but was bummed that David Oakes never showed up in the third season.  It was so refreshing to see him not play a villain for a change.

It's funny to me because I usually am a big villain fan, but my first introduction to Oakes was in two non-villainous roles--as Ernst in Victoria and as a guest star in an episode of Endeavour. So, I had no idea that he had such a rich and extensive legacy of playing villains until I looked him up and saw everyone being like, "Hey, he's not raping and murdering people in this show. . . ." 

• Love 5