Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The problem is that trying to explain fantastically impossible stuff usually comes across as ridiculous. And the more you drill down trying to explain it the stupider it gets. I was watching Avenger Endgame a couple of nights ago and there is a scene where Tony Stark figures out time travel using his 3D computer and some fake science words in about 3 minutes and it just sounds stupid. In cases like that the more vague for me the better. Honestly it seems like people wanting things explained too much is how we ended up with midichlorians.

Also as far as Lost being set in the real world there were some hints that it was in the same universe as Alias (Charlie's band's song was playing at a party). So in that case it is a world where magic Rambaldi devices also exist.

I think it could have been vague as long as it was vague in a direction that seemed to tie everything together. Watching the first season I wasn't itching to know exactly what the smoke monster was made of, but I wanted to have some overall sense of what the island was doing, something that seemed coherent even if I never got any nuts and bolts in it. That, to me, is usually the sweet spots, especially with horror movies (which this isn't, but it's related). It needs to make enough sense that it seems like there is an explanation even if I don't know it.

But the ending for me just clearly threw that out and said that the "explanation" was TV show writers coming up with stuff to fill the time and ultimately try to schmaltz things up and make me think about these people in ways the show hadn't earned.

• Love 8

That's the key concept - earned. Also - playing fair with the audience. The fact you needed a dead body to get to the island doesn't need an explanation. It was a dramatic moment when we found out who got killed and who did it. 

Outlander can pull that bs and it grates. 

Yet you look at Doctor Who - forget about a modicum of continuity. But anything that happens is earned and they play fair.

tbh I think showrunners can be their own worst enemy. 

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Honestly it seems like people wanting things explained too much is how we ended up with midichlorians.

Know the show you have and tell the right story for the show. You'll have fans. 

Also, you don't have to get on social media and talk about everything about everything and constantly tell fans how they should feel and what they just watched. 

• Love 9

Know the show you have and tell the right story for the show. You'll have fans. 

Yeah, nobody was asking for midichlorians as an explanation for that particular series.

But this show, yeah, especially when they spend so much on mystery after mystery after mystery...and it isn't like all the unanswered questions were necessarily sci-fi related.

The problem is that trying to explain fantastically impossible stuff usually comes across as ridiculous.

Not if it's done well.

• Love 4
On 5/16/2020 at 7:54 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I do think you can plop them on the island and have a character driven show. Jin and Sun were a good example of what you could do with that. 

I remember that was exactly what I expected when I sat down to watch the first season of Lost when it aired in the UK. I hadn't seen much buzz about it, so all I knew was that it was a show about a group of people who survived a plane crash on a remote island. And I was sold on that concept. A group of strangers trapped in an isolated location, forced to work together in order to survive? It sounded like fantastic character drama. But it became clear quite early on that it wasn't really the show I expected, so I stopped watching after season one and never regretted that decision.

• Love 11

So I've only watched Game of Thrones in the last six weeks. I never watched it while it aired, was never part of the hype. Knew who the actors were but didn't follow any of them. I don't follow boards discussion on it so have no idea if this is unpopular or not, I just think it could be unpopular from the feedback I get from friends and family when discussing. I just finished season 7 last night (I know how it ends just from not being invincible from spoilers and the absolute fury that followed on from the final episode.

My UO is - I can't stand Daenerys. I respect what she's done given where she was at the start of the series but overall I don't find her to be much different to Cersei. Not as hardened and a bit sweeter but her mission statement is more or less the same. She'll make big speeches about how she's more noble than any previous rulers and has the peoples best interest at heart... just don't question or disagree with her as you'll be burnt by her dragons. Cersei is the worst but at least she owns it. She doesn't pretend to be anything else. Daenerys genuinely thinks she's a cut above everyone else and has no self awareness to how dictorial she comes across. She's surrounded by yes men who are all madly in love with her. 

Also, I roll my eyes everytime the music swells and she rides in on those fucking dragons. It was great the first time but by the end of season seven she's doing it every episode and the music/scene is still playing as though it's the first time.

Also, it should be a drinking game for how whenever she or someone else says her full, five minute name either by introduction or just midway through one of her self indulgent speeches about how brilliant or different a leader she is. I saw it with Snow, why people would follow him or look up to him as a leader. I never did with her.

I know how it ends with her so I can't say I'm disappointed. I'd have been more frustrated had she gotten the throne.

A brilliant character by the way in terms of story, just couldn't stand her.

• Love 11

One of things that drove me crazy about Lost* was the lack of consistent, knowable rules. This goes back to the discussion about about Gandalf. I don't need an explanation of what the Smoke Monster was or why it can't cross the electric fence; CrapHole Islanders figured out the fence and it is consistent. If you say he can't cross water and then he crosses water to the other island, that pisses me off. Can he or can't he? Can he only cross when posing as a dead person? Or was the "can't cross water" thing pulled out of some previous islander's ass and never true?

* I was hooked on the show, or at least Ben, and there were a lot of things I really liked other than Ben. I loved the way they would have a starting point scene, like the meeting at the dock or the flight, and then return to it throughout to show what happened with each character after that moment. I loved the use of flashbacks in general (a toy plane? Locke's life on sad sackery? Not so much). I liked the episodes that told a lot of multiple stories instead of just focusing on 1 or 2 characters. I thought the episode that introduced the freighter folk was beautifully constructed. The moment the camera plans across the beach to the wrecked plane in the first episode? Incredible.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Avabelle said:

So I've only watched Game of Thrones in the last six weeks. I never watched it while it aired, was never part of the hype. Knew who the actors were but didn't follow any of them. I don't follow boards discussion on it so have no idea if this is unpopular or not, I just think it could be unpopular from the feedback I get from friends and family when discussing. I just finished season 7 last night (I know how it ends just from not being invincible from spoilers and the absolute fury that followed on from the final episode.

My UO is - I can't stand Daenerys. I respect what she's done given where she was at the start of the series but overall I don't find her to be much different to Cersei. Not as hardened and a bit sweeter but her mission statement is more or less the same. She'll make big speeches about how she's more noble than any previous rulers and has the peoples best interest at heart... just don't question or disagree with her as you'll be burnt by her dragons. Cersei is the worst but at least she owns it. She doesn't pretend to be anything else. Daenerys genuinely thinks she's a cut above everyone else and has no self awareness to how dictorial she comes across. She's surrounded by yes men who are all madly in love with her. 

Also, I roll my eyes everytime the music swells and she rides in on those fucking dragons. It was great the first time but by the end of season seven she's doing it every episode and the music/scene is still playing as though it's the first time.

Also, it should be a drinking game for how whenever she or someone else says her full, five minute name either by introduction or just midway through one of her self indulgent speeches about how brilliant or different a leader she is. I saw it with Snow, why people would follow him or look up to him as a leader. I never did with her.

I know how it ends with her so I can't say I'm disappointed. I'd have been more frustrated had she gotten the throne.

I couldn't stand her either. 😂

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Ha!  An item popped up on my newsfeed that the Lost finale was 10 years ago this week.  And people are still talking about it.

Well, the Big One in Frisco was in 1906- and people are still talking about that,too, but that doesn't mean either was a positive experience. 

• LOL 10

Probably Wilt Chamberlain, though I need more info about Bill Russell to decide for sure.  I think Wilt was right that the NBA changed its rules to make him less dominant, and we all know MJ - let me be clear, he was a fantastic player - benefited from the Jordan Rules.  I remember watching Michael play and would get so tired of the refs deciding that if he missed the basket it must have been because he was fouled.  It was ridiculous at times.

• Love 8
On 5/19/2020 at 9:22 AM, Avabelle said:

Daenerys' season one storyline was hands down my favorite character arc on the show. But after the dragons were born, particularly on the show, they became a huge crutch for her. Her character devolved into the dragons and little else. I do think the showrunners fell in love with the spectacle of the dragons and left everything else behind for that including the writing. "Here's your billion-dollar CGI dragon combined with a fifty-cent script that features Sansa marrying Ramsey for no discernible reason whatsoever. Enjoy!"

• Love 9
(edited)

Even though I was a teen and young adult during the 90s, I was really never a huge Joey/Pacey or Ross/Rachel fan. I liked both shows just fine, but I could take or leave either couple. Mind you, while I am one of the few that didn't hate Dawson, I also wasn't big on Joey/Dawson either. When they slept to together, I wished they both had a similar epiphany that Syd had with Stanely on "I am not okay with this" - while they have a profound connection, the act was super awkward and in their case, borderline incestuous.

But with Joey/Pacey, why was it her second boyfriend she ended up with? Great first love, even if I wasn't a mega fan, but she didn't find anyone else through her 4 years of college that could be a competition with Pacey?

As for Ross & Rachel, they both had other relationships that were less toxic and they were more enjoyable as, er, friends. 

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 3
On 5/21/2020 at 9:22 AM, Crs97 said:

Watching The Last Dance and Michael Jordan is not the basketball GOAT.

My Last Dance UO is that it's overlong and disjointed.  I think some of the positive reviews are based mostly on nostalgia for the era and subject.    

• Love 4
5 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I think some of the positive reviews are based mostly on nostalgia for the era and subject. 

Well, yes. That's most of it. I don't like the guy, and the era, on paper, is really shitty basketball. To be fair, I did learn some interesting new things, and it didn't cost me anything. 

• Love 2
On 5/22/2020 at 12:51 AM, Minneapple said:

Daenerys' season one storyline was hands down my favorite character arc on the show. But after the dragons were born, particularly on the show, they became a huge crutch for her. Her character devolved into the dragons and little else. I do think the showrunners fell in love with the spectacle of the dragons and left everything else behind for that including the writing. "Here's your billion-dollar CGI dragon combined with a fifty-cent script that features Sansa marrying Ramsey for no discernible reason whatsoever. Enjoy!"

I don’t blame the show for that, but George Martin.

Right from S3, (and we just watched last year), we thought she was a tyrant.  Even worse than Cersei, because she sacrificed thousands of lives, just because she was angry.  Unfortunately the show did it too subtly, until S7, and that made fans of hers go crazy that “she only became mad during 8.5”

• Love 10

Agreed. I never understood the notion that she was character assassinated in the last two episodes. The signs were there from the early seasons. It wasn’t a surprise. 

• Love 12
7 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I think Seinfeld is merely an okay show.

I watched it regularly when it first aired, and it had its moments, but yes, it's an okay show. It's not something I go back to time and again for reruns.

• Love 4

I didn't watch much when it was on because I was in college. Sometimes I'd go over to my people's and watch before we went out. I do think the backwards episode is excellent television. I can't recall any episodes besides that unless someone says something or I see an article and it rings a bell. 

I do give David and Seinfeld credit because it was the first sitcom where the main characters were meant to be unlikeable (except Friends j/k).

Funny enough, I love Curb. I think that's what they really intended the show to be. And no laugh track. 

3 hours ago, roamyn said:

Unfortunately the show did it too subtly, until S7, and that made fans of hers go crazy that “she only became mad during 8.5”

I think they leaned on her 'change' a little too hard so it was jarring. The criticism I saw mostly was that fans were mad that HBO was more than willing to give 2 seasons and TBTPs only wanted the one, and it was a shortened season. So we missed out on more of a slow burn. I think that's fair. It would inaccurate to claim she only went mad at the end though. She had white savior complex up the ass. 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I do give David and Seinfeld credit because it was the first sitcom where the main characters were meant to be unlikeable (except Friends j/k).

Ehh, I don’t  know. I don’t think we were really supposed to like the Bundys that much (Married with Children). Though there’s not many on that show we were supposed to like.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

You didn't like Bob Rooney?!

Lol, I just discovered that Pluto TV has married with children. I'm ecstatic! ( I also prefer Jefferson over Steve and the latter years with NO MA'AM over the earlier ones, so my taste may be suspect).

• Love 3
On 5/25/2020 at 9:44 PM, callie lee 29 said:

Ehh, I don’t  know. I don’t think we were really supposed to like the Bundys that much (Married with Children). Though there’s not many on that show we were supposed to like.

I hate that show soooo much.

• Love 2
On 5/25/2020 at 6:03 PM, roamyn said:

Right from S3, (and we just watched last year), we thought she was a tyrant.  Even worse than Cersei, because she sacrificed thousands of lives, just because she was angry.  Unfortunately the show did it too subtly, until S7, and that made fans of hers go crazy that “she only became mad during 8.5”

I agree there were hints, and yeah, they needed a better burn into her descent into madness. I mean a LOT of people were defending her burning of the Tarlys and saying it wasn't a sign that she was going to go crazypants. I don't know if that's because they were just big Dany fans who wanted a big heroic ending for her or they genuinely didn't get it. 

And the ending of Jon killing Dany to save the world is basically Buffy killing Angel...only Buffy killing Angel was ten thousand times more emotional because it was a much better-written story. And, it was done on a fraction of the GoT budget. 

• Love 8
On 5/14/2020 at 2:37 PM, ABay said:

I will check out new JJ Abrams shows because he was a producer on Person of Interest, and Carlton Cuse's because of Brisco County, but I will never forgive Lindeloff for the idiocy that beset Lost.

I still get enraged thinking about Lost and all that went down, from the creator swearing there would be a logical real world explanation to them obviously changing things as soon as we realized they were in purgatory in the middle of the first season to their claims that it had been planned out in advance like B5 to them braying ob how clever they were to ARGH! 😡😡😡😡😡

• Love 6

My UO for showrunners, writers (TV, movies, books, plays, etc.), and fans is just because someone (or lots of someones) guessed where your mystery was going does not automatically make the journey to get there boring or bad. There still can be a lot of intrigue, interest, plot between A to Z if creativity is there. 

This is in reference to Lost and GoT (two of my favorite shows that caused lots of disappointment).  But I think many people (including fans) can mess a story up by wanting it to constantly push the enevelope, shock, mind bend etc. I like that too when it is done well but I like a good, plausible,  and a "not total character changing for no reason story" done well too and sometimes better.

• Love 17

I agree there were hints

Not hints so much as after-the-fact plot points which were retro-fitted into the narrative the show runners wanted for the final season...

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Not hints so much as after-the-fact plot points which were retro-fitted into the narrative the show runners wanted for the final season...

I'd actually been calling Dany a full on psycho since S3, so I strongly disagree. I found her "shocking descent into madness" so completely telegraphed that I found E5 predictable. 

• Love 8
On 5/25/2020 at 3:38 AM, kiddo82 said:

My Last Dance UO is that it's overlong and disjointed.  I think some of the positive reviews are based mostly on nostalgia for the era and subject.    

And the fact that so many people are desperate for any kind of sporting event.  I've only seen two episodes of Last Dance.....

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

I'd actually been calling Dany a full on psycho since S3, so I strongly disagree. I found her "shocking descent into madness" so completely telegraphed that I found E5 predictable. 

So I guess we agree to disagree then?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Minneapple said:

I don't know if that's because they were just big Dany fans who wanted a big heroic ending

Based on the conversations I had in real life it's that Dany just had a TON of fans who wanted only good things for her. I'm a big Dany fan too but around season 3 I started seeing her story as a Villain's Journey and that's actually what made me like her more. I didn't actually expect it to happen which is why I'm a rare one who loves how Game of Thrones ended. Before the final season it was me, Bestie 1, and her husband all alone on our island while literally everyone else in our lives was rooting for Dany to be the final ruler and reinstating the Targaryen dynasty with Jon. The three of us agree that the mechanics of the final season were poorly done but the facts of how the story concluded made us happy.

• Love 8

Im right there with you. I enjoyed how it all played out. It was rushed in parts but I think the seeds were planted throughout the seasons that it made sense that once she lost enough people and didn’t feel as loved/worshipped as she had been previously that she would start to u ravel. 

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Enigma X said:

My UO for showrunners, writers (TV, movies, books, plays, etc.), and fans is just because someone (or lots of someones) guessed where your mystery was going does not automatically make the journey to get there boring or bad. There still can be a lot of intrigue, interest, plot between A to Z if creativity is there. 

This is in reference to Lost and GoT (two of my favorite shows that caused lots of disappointment).  But I think many people (including fans) can mess a story up by wanting it to constantly push the enevelope, shock, mind bend etc. I like that too when it is done well but I like a good, plausible,  and a "not total character changing for no reason story" done well too and sometimes better.

I think people have gotten used to shocking out of nowhere cliffhangers.    So when half the audience guesses a major plot development many think of it as bad writing when in fact the fact that we all could guess what happened is exactly what makes the story make sense.   GOT of course was known for shock and awe which used as often as it was made me quickly get tired of the show.  Yes the dragons were cool but “shocking” is like anything else it gets old when used too often.    I honestly prefer a good story even if it is one most of us guessed well before it happened.   See: Prodigal Son first season finale.  The shocking moment wasn't that it happened but the way it happened.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Me too. I remember having this debate with people in a class my first semester of grad school. Went back and checked, and it would have been during season 3. Essentially, as soon as Dany started trying to conquer but especially rule, I saw some disturbing red flags with her. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, Zella said:

Me too. I remember having this debate with people in a class my first semester of grad school. Went back and checked, and it would have been during season 3. Essentially, as soon as Dany started trying to conquer but especially rule, I saw some disturbing red flags with her. 

Yeah...and then when she went full crazy eyes while dragon torching the slavers, she was so on the road to crazy town.

I was totally fine with the Jon/Dany ending of GoT and thought it was the most well-done part of the show. I liked Jon wandering off into the snow. I found the "Oh let's make Bran king because he has a good story" and not "Let's make Bran king because he has prescient powers and can look beyond himself" to be just flat out silly. Also, in my mind, Jaime and Brienne are living together on Tarth popping out a brood of ten, just like NCW wanted.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Based on the conversations I had in real life it's that Dany just had a TON of fans who wanted only good things for her. I'm a big Dany fan too but around season 3 I started seeing her story as a Villain's Journey and that's actually what made me like her more.

Part of what was interesting was that she was a fairly good leader but couldn't get past the 'they all love me and want me on the throne, wait, they don't, I'll show them.' I think they just flipped the switch a little too fast, and they didn't really have to. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I agree with this.  I love shows with good twists but the older I get, the harder it is for me to find a show like that which satisfies me.  I recognize that a lot of it is due to me in that I've read mysteries and I've watched a lot of mystery and/or soapy shows.  It serves as an education in twists and when I watch a new show, I'm drawing on a larger knowledge base now than I did when I was much younger.  I can't blame my lack of surprise on show runners.

It only works for me these days is if the twists happen as I'm learning about the characters or if the show runners give their hints and then make the reveal without drawing it out too long.

Speaking of GOT, and speaking of leaving hints, but my unpopular opinion is that I thought the show started to become a boring hot mess long before it became the popular trend to recognize it as such.  Maybe as far back as the 3rd or 4th season.

• Love 5
On 5/19/2020 at 8:22 AM, Avabelle said:

She had all the trappings of an underdog-to-hero type and people just refused to look deeper or, y'know listen to the words coming out of her mouth. By the end of the first season she was demanding gratitude from a woman who had been raped four or five times after Dany had pushed Drogo to invade their village. Dany barely cared about the human cost of Targaryen restoration and at the end of the day was never going to let it stand in her way. She was too far gone by the time she bought the Unsullied, ten thousand enslaved men, and stood with a whip in her hand ordering them to kill the masters without an ounce of self awareness.

• Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, slf said:

She had all the trappings of an underdog-to-hero type and people just refused to look deeper or, y'know listen to the words coming out of her mouth. By the end of the first season she was demanding gratitude from a woman who had been raped four or five times after Dany had pushed Drogo to invade their village. Dany barely cared about the human cost of Targaryen restoration and at the end of the day was never going to let it stand in her way. She was too far gone by the time she bought the Unsullied, ten thousand enslaved men, and stood with a whip in her hand ordering them to kill the masters without an ounce of self awareness.

Whenever she would talk about how she was going to take over Westeros by unleashing the Dothraki on them, all I could think was, "Yeah, that's how you win hearts and minds, dumbass." But she still seemed to think she would and should be welcomed with open arms. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 7

I had in real life it's that Dany just had a TON of fans who wanted only good things for her

I don't think for all of us it was a case of wanting only good things for her - this is GOT, after all. We just wanted it written better, regardless of how it went.

• Love 8